COUNCIL CLARIFIES POLICIES ON TENURE, MINORITY ISSUES

by Jennifer Smith

The University Planning and Policy Council met Monday to discuss salary equity for minority and female professors.

President James Pickering was at the meeting to receive recommendations from UPPC's committees on outreach and partnership, faculty issues and diversity.

The diversity committee's report, given by Ira Shepard, concerned salary support for African American and Mexican American tenure-track faculty. The committee asked the Office of Affirmative Action to put more pressure on colleges and departments to reach out to a wider range of faculty and to make salaries equitable for minorities and women.

The subject that took most of the discussion time was the first resolution of the committee.

The committee asked that the diversity goal be reworded to use the term Mexican American instead of Hispanic.

The objective originally read: To meet university targets for increased educational opportunities for African American and Hispanic students.

After discussion about the entire objective be expanded to cover more than African American and Hispanic students, the UPPC moved that the objective should now read: to increase educational opportunities for historically underrepresented minorities.

Thus, the committee rejected the move to narrow the scope of its diversity goal from African American and Hispanic to African American and Mexican American in favor of an overall broadening of its definitions.

The revision of the Outreach Partnership Committee's report was given by Acting Chair Paula Rechner. The only change made in the report was the suggestion that UPPC be used as a forum to define the "urban mission" part of that goal in the six-year plan.

The Faculty Issues revision was announced by Judy Myers. In response to discussion of the resolution made in the original report that tenure was no protection for poor performance, the effort was made to phrase that strategy more clearly.

The final reading of this strategy now reads: Recognize that tenure protects academic freedom, not inadequate performance. Take steps to assure that faculty members meet performance expectations within colleges and departments.

In addition, the nominating committee named its choice for the next year's UPPC chair position. They named Dr. Judy Myers an active member of the committee. Other nominations will be accepted from the committee at large. The election results will be announced at the next meeting, two weeks from now.

************************************************************

HELPING AIDS VICTIMS

In 1982, little was known about HIV or AIDS. Even then a group of people anticipated the deadly impact it would have. Thus, AIDS Foundation Houston, Inc. was founded.

After nearly a decade of research about AIDS, more is known, still less is certain.

Amy Dolfh, a UH student who is HIV positive, said, "They give you a new drug every time you go to the doctor, but so much is unknown."

What is known is that AIDS has become a the leading cause of death for males 25—44 years of age. It's is the fourth leading cause of death among females 25—44.

However, young adults are not the only people who test positive for HIV. Houston AIDS cases have increased by 52 percent among people 13—24. It is assumed by AIDS researchers that HIV may remain dormant for several years.

Dolfh, who has worked as an educator for AFH for more than three years, said many young teens and preteens engage in oral or anal sex. They do this because they fear getting pregnant through vaginal intercourse. However, anal sex puts people at higher risk for contracting HIV.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and the City of Houston's Department of Health and Human Services' October, 1993 report, Houston ranks seventh in the nation for AIDS cases, with a total of 9,312 cases. Texas ranks fourth in the nation with 23,785 total cases.

Dolfh said that many people assume that AIDS affects only large cities. Dolfh is from Katy and said that AIDS does not discriminate. Hispanics, African Americans and Caucasians can become infected if they engage in risky behavior such as sharing needles or having unprotected sex.

"People, through their own behaviors should take care of themselves," said Dolfh. "(That responsibility) is hard to swallow and you want to blame someone else."

There are few places for people who are HIV positive to turn. Insurance companies raise premiums so high that it is impossible for them to pay the premiums or find another insurance company who will cover their medical costs.

AFH tries to help these people by providing them with a variety of services. Services for people living with AIDS includes light housework, transportation, shopping, hospital visits and grocery shopping.

Volunteers of AFH operate an AIDS hotline (524—AIDS) where they provide free information to more than 750 callers each month.

AFH also has an education team which targets at-risk populations and gives lectures at schools. These lectures are often given by people who have been affected by AIDS in some way. Dolfh is one of these lecturers. Another is Dina Billman.

Billman is a freshman journalism student at UH. Billman is not HIV positive. She lectures to audiences about her experiences with her father who died of AIDS.

Currently, AFH needs volunteers and an educator, preferably someone who has been affected by AIDS in some way.

"We want someone who is dependable, passionate about the cause and they need to know they are not going to make a lot of money. Also, someone with flexible hours," said Dolfh.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a volunteer or an educator can contact AFH at 623—6796. AFH is located at 3202 Weslayan.

S. AFRICANS SAVOR FREE ELECTIONS

by Michael Chamberlain

I voted for Nelson Mandela today in South Africa's first democratic, all race election. Only a handful of non-citizens had this opportunity. Here is how it happened.

Our rented Toyota Corolla bounced over the deeply-rutted dirt road leading to Bochabela Primary School. This would be the first polling station that our Houston-based election observer team would visit today. It is the first regular election day and a line of more than 700 people snaked across the dirt school yard. Maggie Annelize, an IEC election worker explained to me why the voting had not begun yet.

It was already 20 minutes after the scheduled 7 a.m. starting time. The polling station needed at least two ballot boxes to start. One would hold ballots for the national election. The second would hold ballots for the provincial candidates. Only one box was on hand. A few minutes passed before more boxes arrived and the voting began.

As Non-Governmental Observers our instructions are to observe, turn in reports, but in no way intervene unless asked to by the Independent Electoral Commission officers. We joined a dozen or so other observers in the middle of the classroom where the balloting was conducted. Other observers were designated party representatives, United Nations personnel and from the European Community.

An IEC monitor asked for my help. An old man was standing at a voting booth, confused, unable to understand how to mark his ballot. I stepped forward, and under the watchful eye of other observers I took the ballot paper from his gnarled hand and opened it on the counter in front of him. "O voutela mang?" I asked him. This means "who will you vote for," the only phrase that I know in Sotho, the most common local language. "Mandeeela," he told me quietly, and I marked an X in the box beside Nelson Mandela of the African National Congress. This same pattern was repeated several dozen times in the course of the day. And so, I voted for Nelson Mandela in this historic election. In fact I voted for Mandela dozens of times. I only voted for F.S. de Klerk, of the National Party, once.

The second polling station that we visited, also an elementary school, was surrounded by a chain link fence. IEC workers searched people for weapons and checked their ID books before allowing them to enter. A small jack knife was the only weapon confiscated during our visit. It was returned to its owner after he finished voting.

We stepped inside the voting station to watch the balloting. A young woman in a Dallas Cowboys cap was placing the hands under a small ultra-violet light held by an IEC worker. She then proceeded to a second station where invisible ink was sprayed on her knuckles. A second pass under ultra violet light showed a molted white from the ink on her hand. The ink will take several days to wash off. This prevents a voter from voting more than once.

A second woman, older than the first was carrying a baby on her back in "Lepae," meaning "the blanket that carries the baby." She also had her hand sprayed and checked, and showed her identity book. Her ID was stamped and she proceeded with a shy smile of satisfaction, she was voting for the first time in her life.

Edith Mokoele another IEC monitor from the Phahameng township, wished us well as we left the station. What has this election meant for her? "I saw history with my naked eye," she said. "My heart is very big."

RED AND WHITE BATTLE

Scrimmage pits offense against defense

Spring practice will conclude Saturday with the annual Red and White game at Robertson Stadium at 3 p.m. The scrimmage provides football-starved fans a chance to see the spring football roster in action.

The contest has been heavily advertised in conjunction with the athletic department's recent push for support. For those who believe the game is merely an overblown scrimmage, perhaps a few facts will change that impression.

The rules differ from a regular football game in that the offense competes with the defense in a point system.

The offense will start 30 yards from the end zone on every possession. Offensive scoring will be kept normally, with field goals and touchdowns worth three and seven points, respectively.

Head coach Kim Helton said the first team offense will play two possessions for every one the second team runs.

The defense will score by stopping the offense. It receives one point for forcing the offense to punt or turn the ball over on downs, three for creating a turnover and six for returning a fumble or interception for a touchdown.

The first team has Chuck Clements at quarterback, Jermaine Williams and Bryant Henderson as running backs in the I-formation, Chris Herold at tight end. Ron Peters, Daniel Adams and Joey Mouton are the outside receivers.

Jim Herndon at left tackle, Dave Roberts at left guard, Mike Fuller at center, Steven Williams at right guard and Billy Milner at right tackle comprise the first-team offensive line.

First-stringers on the defensive line are Marlon Foots at left end, Eric Harrison at left tackle, Mike Meux at right tackle and Otis Grant at right end.

The linebackers are Chris Jones and Tywon Guy on the outside and Demond James in the middle.

John Brown and Alfred Young are at the corners. Gerome Williams and Thomas McGaughey are the starting safeties.

"As far as the fans are concerned, it'll be just like a game," Helton said. "The only difference is that all the defense will be in one color, all the offense will be in one color."

Those colors will be red for the defense, white for the offense. Scores have been competitive so far, and Helton isn't predicting a winner Saturday.

"Technically, the score could be 9-0 or 18-0 or whatever," he said. "Every possession, the defense has a chance to score."

Just like the offense.

Though the rules are a bit unorthodox, the game still has one element of realism that separates it from an ordinary scrimmage.

Southwest Conference officials will be present Saturday, Helton said, and they will throw all the flags necessary.

"If you hold, it's a penalty," Helton said. "You have to overcome it."

Also, real special teams play will be a part of the contest. Field goals and punts will both be kicked.

The game couldn't have come at a better time for Cougar boosters. On Tuesday, a meeting sponsored by the athletic department to rally ticket sales was held in the UH Hilton.

If that meeting was "talking the talk," Saturday's game might be viewed as "walking the walk." Whatever the case, the UH football staff has been drumming up support for the game.

Ernest Stovall, vice-president of Pi Kappa Alpha, said Helton was at a meeting of roughly 20 leaders of student organizations. The meeting has resulted in five of those students marketing the game across campus.

UH, BAYLOR PRAYERS UNANSWERED

by Chris Peña

The Cougars are in the middle of their own version of holy week. Tuesday, the team picked up its 30th win against an overwhelmed East Texas Baptist team, and this weekend they congregate for a final Southwest Conference ritual against the Baylor Bears in Waco.

What a difference a year can make. Last season, Baylor (21-28, 3-12 in the SWC) won the conference tournament, but this year, no matter how much they pray, the Baptists on the Brazos have been nothing more than bumbling Bears.

The Cougars (30-23, 4-11) have not fared much better this season. Although 30 wins may look impressive, the team has fallen apart in conference play.

All chances of a late-season comeback vanished before the Cougars' eyes after they were swept by Texas Christian in College Station last weekend.

But life goes on. Houston head coach Bragg Stockton said his team needs put it all together this weekend and play the way he knows they can.

Although the 8-2 victory over East Texas Baptist was a yawner with UH in control all the way, it provided a stage for two Cougars with major league hopes.

MLB scouts were on hand to get their last looks at first baseman Ricky Freeman and right fielder/reliever Shane Buteaux.

Freeman has quietly put together an impressive year, combining a .396 batting average with eight homers and 40 RBIs.

Buteaux is a semifinalist for the Dick Howser award, and a quarterfinalist for the Bob Smith Superteam. Both recognize outstanding collegiate baseball players.

Unfortunately for the Cougars, the Freeman-Buteaux one-two punch has not been enough to propel the Cougars to the next level.

So now it's time to play the Bears to determine who makes up the bottom three in the SWC standings.

Stockton has ambitious weekend plans for his team.

"I want us to sweep Baylor," he said. "I want a weekend of redemption."

BRIEFS

<B>Track and Field continues<P>

The Houston track and field team will travel to San Marcos Saturday when it competes in the Southwest Texas State Relays.

The men's 400 and 800-meter relay teams will not be travelling with the rest of the team but will be competing in the Drake Relays.

This weekend will be the first post-Southwest Conference meet for the Cougars. They will be using these meets to prepare and finish qualifying for the NCAA Outdoor Championships, which will be held June 1—4 in Boise, Idaho.

This is the first time the Cougars have ever competed in the SWTS meet.

<B>Luckey, Denoon in USOF<P>

Houston women's basketball player Pat Luckey was one of 48 players selected to participate in the United States Olympic Festival. More than 900 people tried out.

Luckey, a 6-foot-1 freshman, led the Cougars in scoring (19 points per game) and rebounding (8.7). She will play on the South team when the festival is held July 1—10 in St. Louis, Mo.

The festival is a yearly event used to prepare young athletes for Olympic-style competition. Luckey and Texas' Erica Routt, on the West team, were the only two Southwest Conference players named to the festival squad.

UH senior middle blocker Lilly Denoon is expected to make the cut for the volleyball competition.

DIRKS SELECTED AS HOUSTON'S 3RD GOLF COACH IS 39 YEARS

A six-member search committee selected Tulane coach Mike Dirks Wednesday to become Houston's third head coach in the 39-year history of the golf program.

Dirks succeeds former UH player Keith Fergus, who quit to resume a pro career.

Dirks met with the players Wednesday to discuss their commitment to winning.

"We need people here who can push each other to always get better and make that next (NCAA) Tournament," Dirks said. "That's the mentality we want to bring back, that we're the team to beat."

Dirks, 31, has coached the Green Wave the last four years and took the team to a second-place finish in the 1994 Metro Conference championships.

He played for the Lamar Cardinals from 1981—85 and won six tournaments during that time. He garnered All-Sun Belt Conference selections in his freshman and sophomore years and became an All-American in his freshman year.

He led the Cardinals to a seventh-place finish as coach in the 1986 NCAA Tournament.

Dirks said his goals to bring back the winning tradition that led Houston to 16 NCAA Championships under Dave Williams include bringing back former players like PGA Tour pros Fred Couples, Billy Ray Brown and Steve Elkington.

"If you don't see former players coming back, how are you going to get the community back?" he said. "I've talked with (former UH player and CBS sports anchor) Jim Nantz, and he is very excited about being a part of the program."

Dirks was selected from a finalist field that included Sweetwater Country Club head pro Jim Murphy, Abilene Christian head coach Vince Jarrett and former UH player Tom Jenkins.

It has yet to be decided when Dirks will begin his duties. A player from Tulane might receive the opportunity to attend the NCAA South Regional. If that occurs, Dirks probably won't start until the spring season is completed with the NCAA Championships on June 2—5.

But Houston's newest coach is definitely looking ahead.

"We've got a lot of work, but it's fun trying to be successful."

In related news, seniors Dean Larsson and Eric Bogar were named to the All-Southwest Conference golf team. Larsson was a unanimous selection.

WOMAN POWER

Music makes way for females

by Scott Sparks

"Music is more lyric driven nowadays and this is why more women and women-fronted bands are doing so well," proclaims <B>Sheryl Crow<P> about the state of today's music.

This comment comes from a woman who entered the music scene in the mid-80s as a highly sought after backup singer. Crow's talent was heard on any number of records and tours ranging from <B>Michael Jackson to Don Henley<P>.

"When I came to L.A. if you were a woman and not singing <B>Jody Watley<P> and <B>Madonna<P> dance style music it was tough going, but I'm pleased to see things changing," adds Crow.

If you were to look at the past year's musical landscape, you would note that she is right on the mark thanks to big records from groups like <B>Belly<P>, <B>4 Non Blondes<P>, <B>The Breeders<P> and now Sheryl Crow.

Miscellaneous: Do you remember <B>Garth Brooks<P>' huge concerts at Texas Stadium in Dallas? Well, they were taped and will be shown as a TV special on NBC during the first week of May.

Expect a new <B>Stone Temple Pilots<P> CD within the next two months, and yes, they will tour Texas. On the heels of the <B>Eagles<P>' first tour in more than 13 years, Elektra will release a double CD called <I>Take It Easy?<P> It will be a "Best of—" CD.

<I>Beverly Hills Cop III<P> soundtrack will feature songs from <B>Inner Circle<P>, <B>Shai<P>, and <B>INXS<P>. Speaking of INXS, they have a new record company, Mercury Records.

It looks as though <I>Woodstock '94<P> is a go. Permits for the mid-August concert have been secured and now the promoters are focusing in on the headliners. <B>Alice in Chains<P>, <B>Peter Gabriel<P>, <B>R.E.M.<P>, and <B>Red Hot Chili Peppers<P> are the names that are rumored to be to signing on.

A different kind of tribute to the <B>Carpenters<P> is planned by A&M Records. The label plans to have some of their alternative acts, like <B>The Cranberries<P>, <B>Sonic Youth<P> and <B>Smashing Pumpkins<P>, record versions of classic Carpenters songs. Sounds interesting, huh?

<B>Oingo Boingo<P> has regrouped and will record under the name Boingo … by the end of May <B>The Beastie Boys<P>, <B>Alice Cooper<P>, and <B>Jon Secada<P> all will have new CDs on the shelves. You can also expect to see a lot of "Best of—" compilations out as well from the likes of <B>Rick James<P>, <B>The Mary Jane Girls<P>, <B>Glenn Fry<P>, <B>Naked Eyes<P> and <B>Tina Marie<P>.

Happy Birthdays This Week: <B>Andy Bell<P> (Erasure), 30; <B>Roger Taylor<P> (ex-Duran Duran), 34; <B>Gary<P> "Dream Weaver" <B>Wright<P>, 49; <B>Ace Frehley<P> (Kiss), 44; <B>Sheena Easton<P>, 35; <B>Turbo B.<P> (Snap), 27; and <B>Willie Nelson<P>, 61.

Sparks is a Houston disc jockey for radio station 104.1 FM KRBE.