FINAL KICK BAGS WINS

Offense weathers storm to edge defense in Red and White with Helton's help

Conventional football wisdom says that when the weather is bad, control of the game goes to the defense.

The Cougars proved this adage to be true, even in scrimmage, after the offense barely overcame a slow start to post a 31-28 victory over the defense in Saturday's Red and White game at Robertson Stadium.

The offense was granted three additional plays by head coach Kim Helton after time expired in the fourth quarter.

With six seconds on the clock and the game tied at 28, the offense had a second down on the defense's 32-yard line. A draw play to first-team running back Lawrence McPherson gained two yards and ran out the clock, but Helton wanted more.

"The clock is not relevant to the game," Helton explained afterward. "Really, the game is played and decided by possessions. For the offense or defense to score, the possession has to end."

On third down, starting quarterback Chuck Clements' bomb attempt down the left sideline to wideout Ron Peters fell incomplete. Clements felt heat on the play from blitzing safety Gerome Williams.

Helton then had the offense line up to try a field goal, but cornerback John Brown smothered Trace Craft's 47-yard attempt, barely allowing the ball off the ground.

"There was supposed to be no rush on the field goal," Helton said. "J.B. made a mistake when he rushed and blocked it."

Still ignoring the clock, Helton permitted a second field-goal try. This time the defense made little effort to block it and the kick sailed through the uprights for an offensive victory.

With rain falling steadily throughout most of the first half, the offense stumbled and slipped their way to a 20-7 deficit. When the weather cleared up, however, so did the offense's execution.

"At first, it was kind of rough," starting quarterback Chuck Clements said of the offense. "I don't want to say it had everything to do with the weather, but (the rain) makes for a slick ball and field."

The red team (offense) threw four touchdown passes after the five-minute mark of the second quarter, after the rain had quieted.

"Basically, the offense did a poor job (adjusting to the weather)," Helton said. "Even though it looks good from the stands, the field is soft and muddy and it was difficult to get any traction on it.

"It was one of those days where we had to go through 60 balls (on the field)."

The red team may also have been inspired by the presence of former UH Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware at the half. Ware was on hand to announce a $50,000 football scholarship he is endowing.

The defense, of course, was the beneficiary of the bad conditions. Of the white team's 28 points, 16 came on stops of the offense, 12 off the red team's turnovers.

An interception by second-team tackle Carlos Chester and a fumble recovery by Brown netted the defense six points. Brown's partner at corner, Alfred Young, scored the other six on an eye-opening play in the first quarter.

Young intercepted a wobbly halfback pass intended for backup quarterback Clay Helton and returned it 27 yards to put the defense up 10-0 early in the game.

"It looked like a sweep the opposite way at first," Young said of the play. "When the running back (McPherson) slowed down, I figured it was a screen pass or a reverse.

"Once I ran up, I couldn't help but pick that pass off."

A seven-yard scoring toss from Clements to his favorite target of the day, senior receiver Julian Pitre, tied the score at 28 with 2:35 to play.

Pitre finished the day with seven catches for 84 yards to lead all receivers. He set up Craft's game-winning kick with a 23-yard catch on fourth-and-18 from the offense's 40.

Quarterback John Gillaspy, listed as third on the depth chart, hit wideout Damion Johnson in the end zone at the start of the fourth quarter to cut the defense's lead to 24-21.

Clements had two more scoring strikes in the game, a 20-yarder to senior receiver Ron Peters in the third quarter and a seven-yarder to tight end Chris Herold with 4:58 left in the second half.

He finished the game 21-of-43 for 286 yards.

At times in the first half, junior punter Jason Stoft appeared to be the only asset the offense had. Stoft boomed 12 kicks in the game for a 45.7-yard average.

Perhaps Helton summed up the game's result best, saying, "The whole point of a spring game is to give everyone an opportunity to play in game-pressure situations. I'm the one who wins."

************************************************************

LATINOS MUST TAKE CHARGE, ACTIVISTS SAY

by Tiffany Vaughner

Instructor, lecturer and political activist Jose Angel Gutierrez told students that the way to halt the miseducation of Latinos is through knowledge, which can only be gained through education.

Gutierrez, a professor of political science and director of the Mexican American Studies program at the University of Texas at Arlington, spoke to students Tuesday at the Texas Regional Conference of the National Association for Chicano Studies at UH.

In his lecture, titled, "Changing Demographics and the Role of Latinos in the New World Order," Gutierrez told students that having only a local view of the world could be a hindrance.

"It's not enough to know about your barrio. It's not enough to know about your high school or even enough to know about Houston. You need to know about the world around you because you're connected to the world and the world is connected to you," Gutierrez said.

He said Latinos have only three choices of action to take in the future. They could make the world work for them, they could just be in the world or they could "make" the world. He said making the world was the most important of the three because it allowed Latinos to be active participants in decisions that shape their lives.

"You notice when you talk, you say 'I believe' or 'I feel' or 'I think'? Most of you spend about 80 percent of your time saying phrases like that, but about 10 percent of that time do you ever put the <I>frijoles <P> behind it. You need to put that "umph" behind it so when you say to someone, 'I am important,' they know, just by the tone of your voice, that they'd better believe it," Gutierrez said.

He went on to talk about the importance of history to Latinos, specifically the battle of the Alamo and Cinco de Mayo (Mexican Independence Day).

Gutierrez said when he was a child, he hated studying about the Alamo because it made him feel ashamed to be a Mexican. He said he began to fight back in college because he became exposed to other sources of information.

"The Mexican people issued 300 passports to the people following Moses Austin. Moses Austin died after he brought those 300 over, so his son Stephen took over. Stephen was a lying, treacherous, low-crawling snake because he lied. The Mexican people issued 300 passports on three conditions. First, pledge allegiance to Mexico; second, be Catholic and practice being Catholic; and third, hold no slaves. That was the agreement and they lied.

"They pledged allegiance with their fingers crossed behind their backs. They didn't practice being Catholic, and they certainly did not act like human beings because they had slaves and brought more slaves into Texas. Santa Anna came up here to kick their ass because they lied. Not one Texas Mexican or African was hurt or killed in the Alamo. They were not the enemy then and they are not the enemy today," Gutierrez said.

He said in 1860, when the French tried to take over the Mexican people, the people resisted, and in doing so assisted the abolition of slavery.

"Down in Brownsville, in that port, the Mexican troops were the ones that helped during the Civil War that was going on here. They not only had time to fight against the French in their own interest, but they helped the longstanding commitment to human freedom and individual worth," Gutierrez said.

He said it is information like this that is kept from Latinos. He said Latinos are satisfied with having Anglos tell them about Latino history.

"We dutifully sit back and let someone else tell us that they brought civil rights to us, that they brought citizenship to us, that they brought freedom to us and they are all liars. We crossed no borders, borders crossed us. This land that we sit on and we stand on and we speak from is occupied Mexico still. We are a territorial minority having always been here," Gutierrez said.

He closed his talk by reminding students that the face of Texas, as well as the United States, is changing. He said there is a triangle that stretches from Texas to Los Angeles to Arizona where the population is mostly Latino.

He also said this triangle is represented on a smaller scale in Texas with Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. Here too, he said, the population is over half Latino. Gutierrez said that because of this, Latinos are now part of a "majority minority." He acknowledged the growing Asian population, but said the three major groups are still black, brown and white.

"Majority minority means that for you to be able to take power and govern, you need two out of three of those groups. You decide which two. Is it black/brown? Is it black/white? . . . those are options, those are the new power figures for your generation to come," Gutierrez said.

After his talk, Gutierrez fielded questions about his speech and current events.

When asked about what has changed since the beginning of the Chicano movement, Gutierrez said the numbers of Spanish-speaking people have been a major change.

"What has changed is the numbers. There's critical masses, a lot more things that are possible now. What has not changed is the enemy (white Americans). They're still up to their old tricks and using every devious thing that's out there in their arsenal," Gutierrez said.

He used backlash against immigration as an example of the "tricks" used by whites. He said in distorting the facts of the present and history, whites have made themselves the victims with no mention of the atrocities committed against Mexicans trying to enter the United States today and the genocide of the Indians at the hands of the first settlers in the United States.

When asked about the Houston Independent School District's hiring of Rod Paige as superintendent, Gutierrez said he thought it was a "dirty deed" and that the district should have done the right thing. He also said he felt the act would be bad for black/brown relations and that the whole thing was just a "desperate attempt by some in power" to keep the status quo.

Gutierrez was asked what blacks and browns could do to better relations. He said blacks and browns should sit down together and decide what the two groups want and how those wants coincide.

"The trick is not to get smaller slices of the pie. The trick is to make the pie larger. We have the resources available. Besides, we have the moral issue on our side and we have the political imperative on our side. It's our future and our destiny," Gutierrez said.

INJURIES SIDELINE WILLIAMS, HENDERSON IN SPRING DRILLS

Two of the biggest offensive threats of spring practice for the Cougars were conspicuously absent from their finale Saturday.

Junior running back Jermaine Williams and fullback Bryant Henderson sat out the Red and White game with injuries, one far more serious than the other.

While Williams nursed a sprained ankle Saturday morning, Henderson underwent surgery to repair torn cartilage and a torn knee ligament. Henderson injured the knee in a scrimmage last Saturday.

"It will be an extensive rehabilitation (for Henderson)," head coach Kim Helton said. "Jermaine will be fine in a week or two, two weeks at the most."

When asked to comment on Henderson's probable return date, Helton said, "We have to hope that he would be ready to play by the first game (of the football season)."

Helton added that since the healing process differs according to the individual, no guarantee could be made.

Though both Henderson and Williams are listed as second-team on the depth chart, they are both expected to have an impact offensively.

The 5-11, 210-pound Henderson is a junior college transfer from Northeast Oklahoma A&M, where he rushed 42 times for 218 yards in 1993.

Though Henderson's playing time was limited, his average per carry (5.2) and the success of his team (10-1, Mineral Water Bowl champions) got him a second look.

Williams (6-1, 202) is one of two JC transfers from Butler Community College in Kansas. The other, tight end Chris Herold, suffered an ankle injury just before game's end Saturday.

Helton gave Williams the award for best running back of the spring. He figured to share time at halfback with Lawrence McPherson while Henderson would compete with Tommy Guy at fullback.

Williams' numbers at Butler were gaudy. He carried the ball 169 times for 1,160 yards and a 6.7 average. He rushed for 1,200 yards at Rose High in Greenville, N. C.

DREAM VS. GLIDE

NBA playoffs allow two of the greatest UH players to reminisce – together

At this time of year, Hofheinz Pavilion is usually dark, empty and lonely.

That wasn't the case in 1983.

The Houston Cougars were on their way to their first-ever national championship.

Phi Slama Jama, led by center Hakeem Olajuwon and guard Clyde Drexler, finished the '83 campaign ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation with a 31-3 record and a 26-game winning streak.

Their obstacle: The late Jim Valvano's North Carolina State Wolfpack.

However, in a spectacular defensive contest, Valvano's 'Pack won the NCAA title game 54-52 when N.C. State forward Lorenzo Charles tipped in an alley-oop shot at the buzzer.

Nevertheless, Olajuwon was still named the tournament's most valuable player after averaging 18.8 points and 13 rebounds in Houston's five tourney games.

Later that summer, Drexler became a first-round pick of the NBA's Portland Trailblazers following an impressive junior season in which he averaged 15.9 points and shot 53.6 percent from the field.

Olajuwon followed his former teammate the next year. The Houston Rockets selected the native Nigerian as the first overall pick in 1984.

"The Dream" averaged 16.8 points and 13.5 rebounds in his final college season and left UH as the school's all-time leader in blocked shots.

Both are still trying to win that first coveted championship, but now they are trying to do it against each other.

Drexler's Blazers and Olajuwon's Rockets are currently meeting in a best-of-five first-round NBA playoff series.

The Rockets drew first blood in the first game, coming away with a 114-104 home victory at the Summit. Drexler and Olajuwon both led their respective teams in scoring with 26 points.

As was the case 11 years ago, both players are still the hearts and souls of their ballclubs.

"(Clyde and I) have remained very good friends," Olajuwon said during a practice before Game 1. "But we have maintained our friendship at another level now."

Drexler, however, doesn't always like to keep it that way.

"Whenever Hakeem is at the free-throw line, I'll look over at him and say, '(Former UH coach) Guy Lewis wants you to make your free throws,'" said Drexler, who also goes by "The Glide."

"That'll throw Hakeem off because he'll start laughing."

Olajuwon might be laughing all the way to the second round since the Rockets are heavy favorites to bump Portland out of the playoffs.

Since their run at the NBA title in 1992, the Blazers have limped around the league for two seasons. Many experts feel the team, including Drexler, is aging. For that reason, Portland (47-35 regular season record) is in danger of being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs for the second straight season.

"Our chances (against Houston) are good," Drexler said. "It just depends on which team is going to make its shots."

Olajuwon, however, is not nearly experiencing the same type of fate.

While Drexler's career may be on the downswing, Olajuwon is enjoying the best years of his career. He averaged 27.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and 3.6 blocked shots this season and is just awaiting the etching of his name on his first NBA MVP trophy.

As a preliminary award, Olajuwon was selected as a Western Conference starter in the All-Star Game held in Minnesota's Target Center on Feb. 13. It was the first time since 1990 that Olajuwon was chosen as an All-Star starter.

And for the first time since their college days in 1983, Olajuwon and Drexler started alongside each other and scored 19 and 6 points, respectively, in the West's loss to the East.

"I cannot think about me winning the award because it would take away from my team's business at hand on the basketball court," Olajuwon said. "We are trying to win a championship. If we look ahead to anything, we could get surprised."

Indeed, the Rockets are in their best position ever to win their first NBA crown after finishing the regular season with a franchise-record 58 victories and only 22 losses, second best in the league.

"Hakeem should win (the MVP) hands down, " Drexler said. "I may be biased, but he's had a phenomenal season."

Former Cougar coach Lewis was proud to have both men on his team.

"All throughout his college career, (Hakeem) was a player who really came along," Lewis said. "Getting him to play on my team was a stroke of God.

"I am so proud of Clyde's accomplishments as well. It is a privilege to know that he was chosen to participate in the Olympics (on the 1992 Dream Team) and represent his country in basketball."

Both Olajuwon and Drexler agree there was probably no greater coach nor greater motivator than Lewis.

"Coach Lewis only requires the best – nothing but the best," Olajuwon said. "And that makes you work extra hard."

"He taught you how to be a man off the court as well as on," Drexler said. "In my opinion, Lewis was the best of the best. If I had to do it all over again, I would."

Though he may be pulling for only one of the two former teammates, Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich says he feels the Blazers-Rockets series is being loaded with something extra.

"I would think it adds to the competitive nature of the game, knowing that when you go out there (on the court) and see that your buddy is on the other team," Tomjanovich said.

Portland coach Rick Adelman chuckled at the prospect.

"It's good for us that Clyde's out there. It's not so good that Hakeem's out there," Adelman joked. "But both are definite Hall of Fame players."

GLENN DOES DALLAS

In the Can

Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

Last Thursday I had the day off from work, so I said to my editor: "Frank? What have you done for me lately?"

Unable to come up with a suitable reply, he reached into his bag of miracles (which he cleverly keeps right beside his desk) and conjured up plane tickets for me to journey to Dallas and interview big stars.

Granted, it wasn't my first trip to Dallas, but it was the first time I would be operating on somebody else's expense account, namely that of Warner Bros.

So I quickly accepted the tickets and was on my way to meet Brendan Fraser, Patrick Dempsey, Moira Kelly and Alek Keshishian. The stars and director, respectively, of the new film <I>With Honors<P>.

My flight into Dallas was relatively uneventful, though this would not bode well for the rest of my little journey.

Upon landing, I learned Warner Bros. had lied. There was no shuttle from the airport to the particular hotel I needed to reach, so I was forced to ask the valet out front to rustle up a shuttle for me.

Unfortunately, I was the only person at the cabstand wishing to go downtown, so the shuttle driver didn't want to waste his time on just one passenger, and let this fact be known to the valet, loudly, in a language unfamiliar to my virgin ears.

I managed to con another hotel shuttle-bus into letting me hitch a ride, therefore avoiding what surely would have become a nasty hostage crisis, and made my way to the hotel Crescent Court.

I arrived uncharacteristically early, and decided to take a walk around downtown Dallas,

Because the film is about four college students whose lives are dramatically changed when a homeless man teaches them there is more to learn from life than their books could ever teach them, I thought, being the expert reporter I am, that I might do a little research into the topic of homelessness.

And what better place to do this research than the downtown area of a major American city.

It didn't take long to meet my first subject. It was at least 90 degrees, but this gentleman was wearing a huge overcoat that was almost as dirty and matted as his long beard. He reeked of urine and alcohol – a potent concoction Calvin Klein should seriously consider for his next fragrance. Perhaps he could call it "Decay!"

He told me he hadn't had on a clean shirt since 1983, then he asked if he could have a quarter. Assuming there exists some logical connection between these two statements, I replied that I didn't think a quarter would buy a clean shirt, but I gave him a dollar anyway. What the hell! I'll charge it to Warner Bros. as a research expense.

When I returned to the hotel at around 3 o'clock, the only thing that had dramatically changed about me was my image of this movie's connection to reality. My encounter with a homeless person had simply cost me a dollar and a few of my more delicate olfactory nerves. But no Earth-shattering discoveries about life.

In the lobby of the hotel, I mingled with other members of the college press corps and soon learned I was the only person present whose editor had not thoughtfully arranged for a screening of the film before shipping this reporter halfway across Texas to interview the stars and the director. And he wonders why I give him such a hard time.

There were 12 reporters herded into this hotel room, and none of us seemed to have any idea what it was we were supposed to ask these guys anyway. We weren't real reporters – we're critics! We put down other people's work; we don't actually create anything ourselves. What did we have in common with these artistic giants?

In fact, most of my fellow press representatives had come equipped with posters and such to be autographed, as if this were just some perk of the job. But surely there was more to this than just hob-nobbin' with goobersmoochers!

Surely we all had deep, meaningful questions regarding the creation of this artistic endeavor. Surely I had not been so stupid as to forget a pen so I could get some autographs too!

The silence was deafening. Finally, Patrick Dempsey raised his arm in the air and shouted, "Hello!"

We were shaken from our stupor. Questions began pouring out of us like stale cornflakes from an old box of cereal – this simile makes no sense, I know, but just go with me on it, OK?

When my turn comes, I ask if this is not in fact just another attempt by Hollywood to capitalize on this new Generation X trend among films.

I am greeted with thunderously loud and angry replies from all four. Brendan Fraser begins making a cross on his forehead as if he were baptizing Charlie Manson and asks me if I like being labeled after a letter.

I hurriedly reply that I don't, although deep inside I know I do; I really, really do.

Moira Kelly goes into this long-winded reply about how sad it is that the older generation chooses to label the younger generation it created.

When we all awoke 10 minutes later, we nodded our heads in agreement. Patrick Dempsey just took another puff on his cancer stick and said, "Yep."

With that prophetic response, the interview came to an end and the autograph-hunting began. After all this was our main reason for being there anyway.

Somebody mentioned that Ray Liotta was in another room at this hotel giving interviews for his new movie, <I>No Escape<P>, but I just wasn't into it anymore, so I left the building, tattered, disillusioned and hungry. But mostly hungry.

I took a cab back to the airport, at 10 more dollars charged to Warner Bros., and made for my flight gate, only to discover I was to be flying home on stand-by.

When I was finally crammed into my middle seat in coach between an overly talkative businessman and a beautiful girl who had obviously had her tongue removed, I was just relieved to be getting back to the life I had left behind only four short hours before.

I came away from Dallas having only learned that Brendan Fraser was pretty tall, Patrick Dempsey smokes too much and Moira Kelly was really small for somebody so long-winded. I was impressed with Alek Keshishian, but who cares? He was just the director!

I brought back with me a few fond memories and a few more charge receipts. All in all, not a bad way to spend a day off from work.

Wilson is a postbaccalaureate student studying history and government.

UNCLE JOE'S A LITTLE HARD TO FIND, BUT WHAT ROCK WAS MEANT TO BE

by Tom Turner

Okay, so maybe you've never heard of these guys, and maybe they have kind of a strange name, but hang in there for a minute or two. Uncle Joe's Big Ol' Driver is what rock 'n' roll is meant to be.

Uncle Joe's Big Ol' Driver's self-titled, 11-track debut is a straightforward, take-it-or-leave-it display of the band's music. The band has a sound structured off of cutting guitars, a somewhat raspy singer and a solid rhythm section.

A few of the stronger tracks on the album include "Red Room," "Call Me Black," "Don't Go" and "Jersey." No special effects, stolen riffs or hundreds of layers of overdubbing. Basically, as the band puts it, it's "bare-bones rock 'n' roll."

Uncle Joe's Big Ol' Driver is lead by front-man Dave Jass, on guitar and vocals. Along with Jass are Andrew McKeag, also on guitar and vocals; George Vidaurri, bass; and Paul Brewin on drums.

Jass states that "we tried to think of a really cool name for our band, and we ended up with a really stupid one." Well, no matter how stupid anyone thinks the name is, the boys in Uncle Joe rock.

Their debut release is a clear showing of what rock 'n' roll is all about. These guys are definitely worth a listen. If Uncle Joe ever happens to pass through town, go see them; it's sure to be an interesting and entertaining show.

The band may be hard to find in stores, due to the fact that they are on a small label, Cargo/Headhunter, out of San Diego. However, if you do happen to come across this debut, pick it up and give "San Diego's favorite bar-room band" a try.

LATINO COALITION TO PURSUE WOMEN'S ISSUES

SPLINTER GROUP FORMS TO RESTRUCTURE MAS DEPARTMENT

by Tiffany Vaughner

Teresa Cordova, a professor at the University of New Mexico, explained the adverse effects of global economic reconstruction on the Latino community to students at the National Association for Chicano Studies conference.

Cordova, an assistant professor in Community and Regional Planning/School of Architecture and Planning at UNM, lectured on "The Global Economy and Its Impact on Latinos."

Cordova traced the path of this reconstruction from post-World War II to the present. She said what characterizes this path of reconstruction are "flows networks," flows of capital, production, exchange, information and labor.

"One of the main aspects in the flow of capital is an increase in United States investments abroad. United States corporations increasingly invested their capital abroad at the same time foreign investments were increasing in the United States.

A great deal of the production being done for export was being done in the Third World, so the Third World economies were increasingly being transformed from doing production for home activity and instead were used as production for the First World," Cordova said.

She said many of the characteristics of the reconstruction were promoted by the actions of government.

Cordova said another aspect of the flows network is the flow of exchange.

She said acts like the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and the North American Free Trade Agreement herald the "internationalization of trade."

Another aspect of reconstruction, Cordova said, is the flow of labor.

"Because of this internationalization of trade, we now have a need for lower-skilled, lower-paying jobs. The very aspect of the internationalized economy depends upon the flows of labor," Cordova said.

***********************************************************

GETTING A JOB MEANS WORKING AT IT

The traditional methods of job-hunting for college graduates are no longer sufficient, says Shena Crane, author of What Do I Do Now?, a guidebook on the current job market.

Crane, who runs a career counseling service in California and recently visited UH, said graduates will have to "manage their own job-search campaigns" if they want to find a niche in a shrinking job market plagued by economic downsizing.

"What college grads have to do today is do what anyone who’s looking for a job has to do today," Crane said.

"I think the main difference graduating now isn’t so much that there’s fewer jobs, but is more that the jobs aren’t being brought onto the campuses."

Crane conducted a seminar for career counselors and academic advisers from UH and four other area schools.

Crane said career-center officials must engage in more "outreach" and "teach students a wider range of job-search skills than they used to.

"They (career centers) need to forge more links with businesses and proactively take the lead in marketing their students, as opposed to waiting for companies to come sign up."

Indeed, campus-recruiting at UH has fallen 10-12 percent in each of the last two years, according to David Small, assistant vice president of Student Services.

"Large companies have either cut back or downsized and they have fewer needs at entry-level positions. By and large, they are more selective in who they interview," Small said.

Crane said small companies may be a better option for job-seeking graduates.

"What we ended up talking about a lot (in the seminar) was looking at smaller companies. Most of the current job growth is coming from small companies," Crane said.

"Another advantage of small companies is that you often get to do a lot more, earn a lot more and wear a lot more hats than you do in a bigger company. Jobs tend to be less defined and you get exposed to a lot of things, whereas at IBM, you might be in a very narrowly defined position," Crane said.

However, some companies may not have college recruitment advertising campaigns.

"You can’t just rely on on-campus recruiting," Crane said.

"You have to do a lot of contacting companies whether or not you know something’s there, and that’s hard to do, but it really does work."

If generating some interest from employers proves too difficult, Crane suggests a number of different strategies.

"One of the things that I like people to do when they graduate is write a letter to everyone they know, not just people they know professionally, but anyone they know, saying, ‘Hi, I’m graduating; here’s a copy of my resume, here’s the kind of thing I’m looking for, keep me in mind.’

"I try to get them to think of it as a Christmas card list."

A post-graduate internship is an idea Crane says that isn’t bad, especially if the hiring process is taking awhile.

The average "job search" for graduating seniors is nine months, often longer than students expect, Crane said.

"People tend to think internships are just something you do while you’re in school, but you can actually do them right after you graduate," Crane said.

Another suggestion Crane makes, is to call up companies and offer to work as an intern even though an internship may not be formally offered.

"You can call up or write most any company and propose to be an intern," Crane said. "Even if you’re not hired by that company, it gives you some contacts to get you going."

An unpaid internship would not be an attractive option to most, but Crane added that "while you may not be paid, that’s still preferable to not doing anything because you’re gaining experience, and I think that’s important."