LONGTIME SID NANCE STEPS DOWN

When Houston Sports Information director Ted Nance called it quits on May 27, it was a festive occasion at the SID office in the Fouke Building.

No, nobody was happy that Nance was leaving. Instead, everyone was in shock at the sight of the free cake and bottled water that Nance was pushing like he did Andre Ware for the Heisman in 1989.

But for the record, cake and water was not all that Nance gave to UH over the years.

Nance was first named the main architect of the university's athletic image in 1960. The 60-year-old has been with the SID since 1953.

Nance treated everybody he met with incredible respect, including certain UH sophomores looking for a chance to break into public-address announcing.

On May 27, Nance didn't seem sad or overly upset, but said that "it (retirement) probably won't sink in until football season starts."

*******************************************************

COLLECTIVE SOUL

Touring band's release hearty

by Valerie Fouché

Collective Soul is yet another rock group that has easily fit itself into the current mold.

It has a raspy, deep-voiced lead singer, just like Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Crash Test Dummies, Guns N' Roses and Red Hot Chili Peppers. The members have gorgeous long hair that is also familiar to all the current groups (refer to previous list). And they play the heavy guitar rifts and nonstop drums that make them sound like a take-off of one of the others.

So what makes Collective Soul worth buying, you ask? The lyrics and apparent heart and soul the band puts into them. Amazingly enough, all the songs on this album are lacking one key element common to rock lyrics today, cuss words. So instead of the word 'bitch,' you find 'babe' and 'baby,' as well as God and other religious undertones. All in all, they've got some pretty snappy little tunes you will find yourself listening to several times over.

This relatively new band hails from Stockbridge, Ga., and is composed of five long-haired cuties. Ed Roland, the lead vocalist, has been knocking around his hometown of Stockbridge for about 12 years now and was very surprised at the band's instant success with the release of "Shine." The single hit the top of the college charts in Atlanta at the beginning of '93 and eventually caught the attention of Atlantic Records exec Jason Flom from New York, who signed them within 24 hours of hearing them live in concert in Florida.

Since then, the resequenced, remastered and adjusted recording has hit the roof and is doing extremely well on the charts, radio and MTV.

The members of Collective Soul are Ed Roland, lead vocals and guitar; Dean Roland, guitars (Ed & Dean are brothers); Ross Childress, lead guitars; Will Turpin, bass guitar; and Shane Evans, drums. All the tracks are written, arranged and produced by lead vocalist Ed Roland. The band's name comes from Ayn Rand's <I>The Fountainhead<P>, the main character in the novel, which refers to mankind as a "collective soul."

The lyrics to "Shine" embody the feelings of a person looking for someone to share their love with: "Love is in the water/Love is in the air/Show me where to look/Tell me will love be there/Teach me how to speak/Teach me how to share."

All of the 13 tracks on <I>Hints<P> are well worth listening to and have their own individual sound (something a few groups should take into consideration). Some other songs worth mentioning are "Goodnight, Good Guy," a song Roland wrote about his grandfather's bout with leukemia.

"Wasting Time" has lyrics we could all use from time to time when that certain someone doesn't quite get the hint that it's time to take a hike. This song also mixes a solo violin, which you don't hear very often in rock, with plenty of bluesy guitar licks. The song "All" has a hint of Beatlesque harmony. "Reach" would have to be one of my favorites off <I>Hints<P> due to its intricate acoustics, impressive vocals and truly powerful lyrics.

Live, the band has 25 new songs in its repertoire, including a cover of the Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me."

Collective Soul plays with The Hatters Friday at Toad's Bar (on the deck) downtown.

NORTH KOREAN NUCLEAR LOGJAM AT CRITICAL MASS

by Catherine Cykowski

North Korea's recent refusal to comply with United Nations orders to facilitate inspection of plutonium quantities may prompt intervention on behalf of the United States and the U.N.

North Korea has placed numerous obstacles in the path of the International Atomic Energy Agency, which sanctions examination of 8,000 fuel rods in a nuclear power reactor.

Junboum Park, a graduate student in civil engineering, said the deployment of Patriot missiles could exacerbate the situation. "This is a critical situation. If we buy and display weapons in South Korea, it will not make things better," Park said. He came to Houston from South Korea in 1991.

North Korea signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty in 1985. Under the treaty, government officials are required to allow inspections of nuclear development sites by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

In March of 1993, the North Koreans announced their intention to withdraw from the NPT and refused inspections. The United States has offered economic aid in return for the inspections with no success.

North Korea has seven declared development facilities. The IAEA suspects there may exist two undeclared sites, but inspectors have not been allowed to visit them.

Park said the North Koreans would perceive the deployment of U.S. Patriot missiles as an aggressive act; furthermore, the citizens of the communist country are suffering economically, and government officials have said any attempts by the United States to impose sanctions would be construed as an invitation to war.

"By deploying or displaying the missiles, the U.S. would show the North Koreans that they intend to disarm them. South Korea would also be perceived as initiating conflict and displaying more power," Park said.

Hyung Park, a graduate student in political science, said the situation is problematic because of the North Koreans' lack of allies. "The North Korean people would understand the deployment of the missles as the beginning stage of a military buildup in South Korea, which would stimulate their defensive psychology," he said.

Officials said the condition of cameras used to monitor the sites is a reason for concern. "IAEA Director Hans Blix said the ability to monitor sites is deteriorating. The more time that elapses, the worse the situation is in terms of the ability to see," a State Department official said.

"The problem with North Korea is that it's been historically isolated and not completely rational with regard to foreign policy. There is practically no one to who they can turn any longer," said Fred von der Mehden, a professor of political science at Rice University.

North Korea's strongest allies in the past have been China and the Soviet Union. However, both China and Russia have urged the North Koreans to comply with the NPT.

"I don't agree with their making the bomb. However, they do not have any real allies. Russia and China have their own issues to deal with, and I do not think that North Korea will attack on its own," Park said.

In the past, while no official deadline for compliance was set, a meeting of the IAEA was convened in Vienna. On Friday, Blix ruled out alternatives for determining how much plutonium North Korea may have to produce bombs – he opts only for examination of the 8,000 fuel rods. If no agreement on the inspections can be reached, the IAEA may defer to the U.N. Security Council.

WISCONSIN DEAN TAPPED FOR PROVOST

President James H. Pickering announced on May 13 the appointment of Henry Trueba, dean of the School of Education at the University of Wisconsin, to senior vice president and provost.

The Board of Regents will meet on June 22 to give final approval for Trueba's appointment on July 1.

Pickering said Trueba's commitment to education on the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels and to research make him an "ideal" provost for UH.

"I cannot imagine anyone whose goals for this university better match my own," Pickering said.

A search committee of 22 people representing different parts of university headed by Wayne Rabalais, the Cullen professor of chemistry, chose Trueba from among 180 applicants.

"The committee looked at all applicants and kept eliminating people based on qualifications," Rabalais said.

The search lasted from July of 1993 to May of 1994. The committee narrowed the field down to 10 people who they interviewed for two hours at the airport.

Four people out of those 10 were then invited back to the campus, Rabalais said.

"Out of the four, we chose one," he said. "You want someone who has demonstrated that he or she has been an excellent scholar and will be respected."

The search committee also looked for someone with administrative experience at the dean's level.

"We wanted someone who would be compatible with our university and has the personality and background that would fit into our university. We think Dr. Trueba will fit in extremely well," Rabalais said.

Trueba, who replaces Glenn Aumann, said he wants to use his contacts in Washington at the National Science Foundation and at NASA to help provide additional support to the scientific and technological groups at UH.

He said he also plans work at solving the problems of education, especially among neglected groups.

"I view the University of Houston as one of the most important and powerful institutions in this country, ready to make a serious and long-term commitment to its urban mission," Trueba said.

"I know that the University of Houston will pursue the welfare of all Houston residents in urban areas, but especially those of underrepresented groups."

For the past three years, Trueba served as dean and professor of Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Policy Studies and Anthropology departments at the University of Wisconsin.

From 1989 to 1991, he was associate dean of the College of Letters and Science and director of the Division of Education at the University of California.

Trueba, who has focused his research on the study of the role of language and culture in learning, especially among ethnic and minority groups, is the author of 16 books and hundreds of articles.

Trueba obtained his undergraduate degree from the Universidad Autonoma de Mexico in Mexico City; two masters degrees, one in theology from the Jesuit Woodstock College and in anthropology from Stanford University; and a Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Pittsburgh.

During his academic career, Trueba has received many awards, including the Special Award as Distinguido Maestro Universitario at the Universidad de Colima.

He also served on the Advisory Council to President Bill Clinton's Education Transition Team and received the Outstanding Hispanic Award from the American Educational Research Association.

Aumann, the outgoing provost, will assume the new position of director of the Energy Laboratory.

RWANDAN CIVIL WAR FESTERS

by James Dufilho

A massacre that has claimed the lives of at least 200,000 and has resulted in an exodus of more than 2 million people continues unabated in Rwanda, and the United Nations halted Friday its latest evacuation mission.

U.N. forces have attempted to evacuate refugees and supply much-needed food and medical supplies to residents in Kigali, the capital of Rwanda. The Red Cross emergency medical convoy was the only relief provider that had access to Rwanda, said U.N. officials stationed in Nairobi at the time of the initial slaughters.

Fighting between the Hutu ruling class and the Tutsi rebel forces was precipitated by the airplane crash deaths of Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana and Burundi President Cyprien Ntaryamira, among others. "Many believe the plane was shot down. This precipitated the civil war because the Hutu ruling class became very upset," said UH adjunct Professor Ime Ukpanah.

Rebels claimed to have seized the town of Kabgayi and initiated an attempt to capture Gitarama, a town that serves as the seat of the interim government. Many people have fled west to Lake Kivu and the border with Zaire.

"The Tutsis have been trying to get equality in government since Rwanda won its independence from Belgium. Tutsis are fighting because they feel they have been treated badly and do not have a fair say in government," Ukpanah said.

Rwanda, like most of Africa, includes tribal systems. "The Hutu-controlled regime has been unwilling to engage in a compromise with the Tutsis. The relationship between the Rwandan government and its citizens is personal. People get ahead in Rwanda by whom they know, not what they know. This makes it very difficult to get ahead in government for any citizen, especially for the minority Tutsis," Ukpanah said.

The Tutsi rebel forces in Rwanda are averse to any outside intervention. Relief supplies are being sent slowly into Kigali, but United Nations peace-keeping forces are not welcome. On April 18, U.N. officials said they would facilitate evacuation of all foreign nationals, but remain in Rwanda only if the rebels and the Rwandan government could reach a rapprochement in the form of a truce or long-term peace agreement. United Nations officials in Nairobi said if the U.N. peace-keeping forces pulled out, it would virtually eliminate any food and medical relief efforts.

"I feel the United States and the United Nations should step forward and help; any time there is a large (massacre) of people, someone should step forward and help. We have a responsibility as a world superpower to step in and stop the random violence wherever it may occur," Ukpanah said.

Though U.N. officials were satisfied an agreement on refugees had been established, a cease-fire agreement has not materialized.

CARDIOFUNK TURNS AEROBICS INTO PARTY TIME

by Cheryl Luedke

Lined up at the door of World Gym's aerobics room, a crowd eagerly awaits the start of an aerobics class.

Minutes later, a guy struts in wearing heavy combat boots, a sleeveless black leather jacket and a backward baseball cap. As the guy turns out the lights, jumps up to the center stage and grabs a mike, the students realize this is not just any ordinary aerobics class, and this is not any ordinary instructor.

This is Shawn Welling, creator of "CardioFunk."

"If you haven't been to my class before," shouts the chain-wearing, sun-glasses-sporting dancer, "I'll tell you that we have flat-out fun. We jam!"

CardioFunk is a mixture of street-dance moves and aerobics which is difficult to describe, Welling said. CardioFunk is to aerobics as a black Baptist church is to a white baptist church, he explained. He enjoys the free, ethnic spirit of his style that is not present in regular aerobics dance.

Welling takes a workout that might be rather boring, turns up the popular club music (loud!!!), turns out the lights and adds the hip-hop funky moves, creating a style of aerobics so unique it cannot even be called aerobics.

"My class is raw from the street; the moves are right out of the videos and can be taken to the dance floor when my students go out to clubs at night," Welling said.

Speaking of videos, Welling has performed in plenty. In 1992 he served as composer, director, vocalist and central dancer in his funk video "2023," which featured the dance single "Kick It." His backup dance troupe, CF7, along with supporting vocalist Larita Perry and championship body-builder Herschel Johnson, helped create a cyberpunk futuristic vision reminiscent of <I>Alien<P> and <I>Mad Max<P>, Welling said.

Welling's latest video, "CardioFunk Jams Anthology," is a collection of the dance group's newest moves and a demonstration of the CardioFunk style.

The CF7 Dance Troop is "an elite group of aerobics instructors from Gold's Gym who have extensive dance training," said Welling, who leads his dancers in up to 40 hours a week of vigorous rehearsal.

Welling and his dancers have competed in National Aerobic Competitions, performed as concert openers, and the leader, himself, works with the NBA as a guest choreographer, Welling said.

But anyone interested in this type of aerobics class should not be intimidated. CardioFunk is for all ages and all levels. "I use my personality to reach out and create a comfort zone for the newcomers," Welling said.

Elizabeth Scally, who plans to audition for the Derek Dolls next month, is a big fan of Welling's. "We love his classes," said Scally, along with friend Adriana Castro. "He has a very different style, he's very enthusiastic, and we get a good workout. We work up a sweat." Scally added that she and Castro have been attending Welling's classes rather than regular aerobics classes for about four years.

So where can you find this King of Funk? Welling teaches classes at Bally's and World Gym and he gives private dance lessons. You can also find him performing at Blue Planet on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights with three of his dancers, calling themselves "Shawn Welling and the Global Motion."

PROF SAYS GENDER FACTORS KEY TO WELFARE REFORM

by Marlene Yarborough

The main problem with our current welfare system is that it is based on the assumption of male-headed households with stable jobs, said author and philosophy Professor Nancy Fraser during a lecture given recently at Rice University.

Fraser, who teaches at Northwestern University, lays out her ideas about welfare reform in her new book, <I>Practices: Power, Discourse and Gender in Contemporary Social Theory<P>.

"We need a post-welfare state that will support a new gender order, premised on gender equity," Fraser said, adding that in order to achieve full gender equity, five principles must be present: anti-poverty; anti-exploitation; equality, in the forms of income, distribution of leisure time and status with respect; anti-marginalization, helping women to remain in the larger society by providing necessities such as day-care; and anti-androcentrism, reconstructing life patterns so they are not based around men.

"Universal bread-winner" is the name of Fraser's first of two post-welfare models. This model strives to universalize the bread-winning role so that women can support themselves and their families. It calls for more full-time jobs with higher wages for women . It also requires provisions of day- and elder-care, shifting care work to a paid labor force. Benefits would need to be raised to equal the new job levels.

Universal bread-winner would require reforming the workplace by removing obstacles of sexual discrimination and sexual harassment. "Reforming the workplace would require social revision. Men's expectations would have to be reoriented to accept women's new roles," Fraser said.

Universal bread-winner would perform well in all five areas of gender equity except leisure-time equality and androcentrism. This model assumes all care-giving can be shifted to the state. "These tasks do not disappear. Men must be convinced to do their share of unpaid work," Fraser said. Anti-androcentrism would be poor because this model validates the male-based system and expects women to fit into that structure.

Fraser's second model is "caregiver parity." This model would support informal care work. The caregiver role would become equivalent to the bread-winner role. An individual would be allowed to do full-time care work or have a part-time job and do part-time care work. The state would give an allowance to the caregiver, equal to a minimal bread-winner wage.

This system would mandate maternity leave and flex-time. State benefits would be necessary for continuity. Part- and full-time caregivers would be supported on the same bases of laid-off and disabled people under today's current system.

Caregiver parity would perform well in all areas of gender equity except income equality and anti-marginalization. It performs poorly in income equality because the caregiver wage would be at the base of the bread-winner's income. The model would still marginalize women because it does not promote women's participation with men in politics, Fraser said.

In conclusion, Fraser said neither model delivers full gender equity. She proposed a third model where men become more like women are now. "The principle would be to design an institution that makes women's lifestyles the norm, and the change would come from the men. This would integrate and eliminate gender-coding," Fraser said.

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL

Three ex-Cougars signed in baseball draft

by Chris Peña

Three former Cougar baseball players salvaged their year last weekend, as they were drafted in the major-league amateur draft.

All-around superstar Shane Buteaux was a sixth-round pick by the Chicago White Sox, and left-handed hurler Matt Beech was taken in the seventh round by the Philadelphia Phillies, both on the first day.

First baseman Ricky Freeman was picked in the 19th round by the Chicago Cubs on the second day of the draft.

Buteaux is the second Cougar to be drafted by the White Sox in recent years. He joins former UH catcher Chris Tremie in the Chicago organization.

Tremie is the starting catcher for the Sox's Class AA team in Birmingham, Ala., which is also the stomping grounds for former NBA superstar Michael Jordan.

Since the end of the regular season, Buteaux has been collecting awards at a frantic pace.

He was a first-team All- Southwest Conference selection, and a few weeks later, he was named to the second-team All America squad. Last Thursday, Buteaux was voted to the third-team Smith Super Team.

Beech did not collect as many awards as Buteaux; as a matter of fact, he did not collect any. But the defending National League champions nevertheless gave him a second chance at pro ball.

Last year, Beech was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 24th round. He turned them down to come back for his senior season as the Cougar ace.

But 1994 was as rocky for Beech as it was for the entire Cougar squad.

Beech threw a seven-inning perfect game against Louisiana Tech in February, the first in Cougar history. He finished the season at 5-5, and scouts said his fastball had lost some of its zip.

Freeman said he got his call around noon on the second day of the draft.

"It was a relief," he said. "Last year, I had close to the same numbers ... but I wasn't picked up. This year, I didn't expect to go on the first day."

Freeman said he will play rookie ball at Huntington, W.Va.

UH TAKES THE NOBLE PATH

There were no surprises May 26 in the Fouke Building when former Cougar Rayner Noble was named the seventh head baseball coach in UH history at a 2 p.m. press conference.

Noble, 32, had been listed as the front-runner to replace the retired Bragg Stockton for most of the 20-day coaching vacancy. He will head up a program that has had difficulty winning in the Southwest Conference the past two seasons.

Fortunately, the new man has a new plan.

"I think the first thing we've got to do here is re-evaluate our recruiting system," Noble said when asked about his plan for the future. "We've got to bring in not so much quantity, but we need quality of players.

"I think one of the first steps that needs to be taken is to go out and, whether it be throughout the nation – or we could probably hammer it out right here in this area (Texas) – but we've got to get some front-line talent."

The new coach has impressive credentials. Noble pitched at UH from 1980 to 1983, gaining All-America status in his senior season. He was also an assistant coach at Houston from 1987 to 1991.

The last two years, Noble has been an assistant coach at Rice under Wayne Graham, where he learned what he hopes will be a new formula for success at UH.

"Working under Coach Graham, I've seen a different angle of the game and how it's taught," Noble said. "When I was here with Coach Stockton, we did a lot of skill work and teaching of the game.

"With Wayne Graham, the emphasis was not so much on skill development, because we tried to get the type of player in there that already had the skills."

Indeed, the contrasting styles of the new coach and his predecessor were apparent after only a day.

"The area where you really improve these kids is in the mental side of the game," Noble said. "They've got to know and have confidence in their skill levels as they are.

"They don't need to be up there on the ball field analyzing everything they do, because they get lost in the shuffle, and it's a little bit of paralysis by analysis."

Noble stressed the recruitment of high school players as opposed to relying on junior-college talent. The new baseball stadium, which should be ready to play in for the 1995 season, will help.

"That'll do a lot of our selling for us," Noble said of the stadium. "But the other thing we've got to do, we've got to start selling this university.

"We've got to shed the light on what's going on here from an academic standpoint because we're getting more and more kids that really want to go to school."

However, he is well aware of the difficulties involved in this strategy, including the lure of professional baseball.

"I have firsthand experience and I know what happens to young people when they go out too soon in the professional draft," Noble said. "I've seen kids go home early and their lives really get smashed because they passed up the opportunity to go to college."

The experience Noble speaks of is not autobiographical. After going 6-2 with a 1.60 ERA his senior year while batting .400, the Crowell native signed with the Astros.

He also received his B.A. in management in 1983.

"If we're recruiting a marquee player, or a guy that we know is going to be a middle to early draft out of high school, we're going to say, 'Hey, we expect you to be here for three years'," Noble said. " 'You're going to develop to the point where you're going to be a high draft pick.'

"That's how you sell it to the parents; you sell their marketability. If they get better, their worth is going to be more."

EX-COOGS FIND WORK

Former Houston quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware signed a one-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings May 17.

Ware, who won the Heisman in 1989, ended a four-year relationship with the Detroit Lions that could only be described as futile. With the Lions, Ware was caught in a quarterback shuffle and was often at odds with head coach Wayne Fontes.

In Minnesota, Ware will have a more defined role, backing up former Houston Oiler Warren Moon. Ware and Moon became friends during Ware's sophomore year in college.

Another former Cougar quarterback, Jimmy Klingler, entered the professional ranks.

Klingler, who passed up his senior year of eligibility to enter the NFL draft, signed as a free agent with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders of the Canadian Football League.

Klingler was starting quarterback for the Cougars in the 1992 and '93 seasons. The Cougars were 5-16-1 during that span. In '92 he threw for 3,818 yards and 32 touchdowns.

In Canada, Klingler may face a secondary headed by his old coach from UH.

Former Houston head coach John Jenkins was signed as defensive secondary coach by the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers May 13.

Jenkins became head coach when Jack Pardee resigned at the end of the 1989 season. In his first year, Jenkins led the Cougars to a 10-1 record, but went 4-7 in each of the next two years.

He resigned April 30, 1993, under a cloud of controversy after several allegations were made by then-assistant coach Steven Staggs.

Jenkins was accused of holding mandatory off-season workouts and splicing photos of topless women into game films.

Last week, the Houston Chronicle reported that Jenkins' staff may have provided furniture for athletes, specifically former running back Ostell Miles.

The UH in-house investigation into these charges is still ongoing, with NCAA cooperation.

The Winnipeg job will be Jenkins' first football position since he left Houston.