A WINNER

BECK TURNS IN A HIT DISC

by D. McAdams

Divine justice does exist, or so I thought.

No matter where I ran or hid I just could not escape. I'd turn on the television and there it was. Immediately turning it off I'd flip on the radio and it was there too. "I'm a loser, baby," etc., etc., etc. What was the deal? Had the country gone nuts over this moron named Beck?

Good god, his song is non-sensical as all get out! He doesn't make any sense. I began to wonder if I were the only percent in North America who recognized this guy for the no-talent idiot he is.

Then came the moment I discovered I would be able to review his CD <I>Mellow Gold<P>. Was I dreaming? Did I now have the opportunity to strike back at the moron who had all my friends incessantly chanting the chorus to "Loser?" Could I now expose him for the fraud he was?

Ah yes, revenge is a dish best served cold and Beck, my friend, you are about to be served an all-you-can eat buffet of it.

Bubbling with anticipation, I popped in the CD. Now my chance had come, let the flogging commence.

The opener, predictably, was "Loser." "This is going great," I thought. "This guy's CD will be D.O.A." Then began the next song "Pay No Mind," a mellow groove with folk woodlings. Hey wait, that's not supposed to happen. This song's supposed to sound bad! But alas, it was not to be.

Midway into the CD, I had to relent. Beck was good – damn good. Ranging from phat, lackadaisical hip hop melanges found in "Fucking With My Head" to ragged, light acoustic guitar strumming found on "Nitemare Hippy Girl," Beck is unarguably one of the most innovative "alternative" (whatever that means now) musicians out there. Not only that, he's "genuine" to boot.

When asked to describe his life and his past childhood, Beck once replied "who cares!" But for those of you who must know, Beck grew up near Kansas City with his preacher grandfather and his mother in Los Angeles. He dropped out of school, learned to play blues and folk guitar, roamed between New York and L.A., slept on a lot of floors, hung around a lot of punk bars and got discovered in L.A. with the song, ironically enough, "Loser." Ain't life like that sometimes?

Don't be afraid to buy <I>Mellow Gold<P>, it will be well worth the money spent to hear the new age beat poet.

Beck plays at Toad's this Saturday with guest Truman's Water.

*******************************************************

UH'S WINNING TEAM PREVAILS

The UH School of Communications student advertising team defeated 14 other regional champions at the American Advertising Federation College World Series of Advertising on Sunday at the Westin Oaks Galleria Hotel.

UH beat St. John's University and University of California at Berkeley, who have won nationals several times.

UH won first place at the district competition, defeating over 130 schools.

The competition required that the Ad Team complete an advertising campaign for Kodak. The campaign was aimed towards college students. The 22-member team prepared a media plan which consisted of 40 pages, several billboards, newspaper and magazine advertisements and a 30-second video.

The teams campaign was based on the theme, "A Kodak moment college style." The UH teams campaign slogan was, "Don't forget the camera." The video was computer animated.

The Ad Team conducted research on campus and discovered that students often forget cameras for special events. The campaign focused on disposable cameras.

The team will receive a plaque and individual awards. The presenters were invited by Kodak to make the presentation in Rochester, NY for the executives.

Presenters of the campaign were Julia Abbott, Patricia Burgos, Natalie Noser and Les Saucier. The audio/visual technician was Rob Spallone. The presentations last 15 minutes. Teams who go over the time limit are disqualified.

"They presented everything in the best possible light," senior Evan Krause said. "I knew we had won after the presentation."

The students who participated were members of Professor Jay Mower's Advertising Campaigns class. Students must interview with Mower and be accepted into the class.

The students are divided into departments of media relations, promotions and creative.

"It was a very realistic approach to working for an advertising agency," said class member Angie Milner.

Before the students are chosen for the class, they must read the rules and regulations of the competition. The sponsor decides on how much money they would allocate for an advertising campaign if they were hiring a professional advertising company.

SEXUAL HARASSMENT STILL HOT TOPIC

by Marlene Yarborough

In 1991 sexual harassment charges became a focus for mainstream Americans as Anita Hill brought charges against then U.S. Justice nominee Clarence Thomas.

Now, three years later, sexual harassment has reemerged on the political scene, and this time the allegations are against the president.

Paula Corbin Jones has brought charges against President Bill Clinton "for intentional infliction of emotional distress."

Jones came forward with the charges herself, and her complaints will be heard in a U.S. District Court. Anita Hill, however, was forced into the public arena to stand trial in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

There are many differences between these two cases, but they both raise the question - should government official's private lives have relevance on their public ones?

Janet Chafetz, UH professor of Woman's Studies said, that public officials private lives should affect their public ones if there is an abuse of power in the work-place. She said if it is an consentual affair and part of their private life then it should not have bearing on their public life.

Sexual harassment has been part of the work-place, not only in politics, but in all areas. Since the 1991 Thomas-Hill hearings the number of sexual harassment suits increased. However, the outpouring of people taking a stand against this form of abuse is not exclusive to government or big business, it is even seen on college campuses.

Anita Hill wrote an article about sexual harassment entitled, <I>In the Morass of Sexual harassment<P>. She writes, "Since 1991 women in record numbers have filed sexual harassment claims. Women had not spoken publicly about sexual harassment until then, but by doing so during and after the hearing, they educated society."

Interim Assistant to the President for Affirmative Action Dorthy Caram said, "When a new policy is put in place there will be a pendulum swing that will bring in a lot of cases. And education will bring the swing down."

The Office of Affirmative Action is set up on the UH campus to deal with any type of sexual harassment. This office defines sexual harassment as any unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors. Advances can take place in the form of verbal or written comments. The OAA has put out a handout with guidelines and suggestions to help students deal with sexual harassment.

There are two forms of sexual harassment. First, "Quid Pro Quo," a legal term defining a situation where a favor is asked for, and employment or educational decisions are made based on the person's willingness to grant sexual favors.

The second form is hostile environment. This occurs when verbal or non-verbal behavior focuses on the sexuality of another person and is unwanted and unwelcome. In a hostile environment the situation becomes sever enough to adversely affect the working or learning environment.

Hill wrote, "Society must see sexual harassment for what it is: sexual discrimination that is prohibited by the civil law."

Two key words to look for when defining a harassment situation are unwanted and uninvited. Equal Employment Opportunity representative for UH Mary MacKenzie said, "Your instincts are probably right. If it enters your mind, 'could this be sexual harassment,' then it probably is,"

MacKenzie said, that most people do not realize they have been sexually harassed until after the situation is over. Sexual harassment generally occurs when there is a disparity of power. It is not always intentional.

Men also can be sexually harassed. The common theme in all cases are that most of the incidents go unreported, MacKenzie said.

Most victims do not report harassment for fear of losing their job or classroom advancement, fear of not being considered a team player, fear of being called over-sensitive and fear of not being believed.

Hill said, the problem with the charges against Clinton is, "Many woman may feel some uneasiness that Clinton, who represented a chance for more enlightened federal policies on these issues, is himself charged with sexual harassment."

Sexual harassment among peers is a problem on most university campuses. Other behaviors that indicate this type of harassment are threats or bribes for unwanted sexual activities, suggestive words or gestures, ogling or leering, insulting and belittling a person with sexual ridicule, letters and phone calls of a sexual nature and telling a person what sexual behaviors they would like to engage in with a person.

MacKenzie gave five techniques when dealing with a harassment situation. Try telling the offender you want them to stop the offending behavior. She recommended adopting a "Miss Manners" approach. Replay to the offenders remarks with, "I beg your pardon?" or "excuse me?".

Second, do not answer the offender's personal questions. Send a copy of the sexual harassment policy. And finally, you can write a letter.

UH has a sexual harassment policy. There is pre-compliant counseling, and as a finally step any individual may file a formal complaint. If you are having a problem with sexual harassment you can call the Office of Affirmative Action at 743-8835. Other options available are to talk with the campus police, a department chairperson, the Dean of Students or a supervisor.

VIP SAVES STUDENTS TIME; NO HASSLE

With the new computer phone registration system, Voice Information Processing, UH has changed from a system that forced students to wait for hours in long lines to one that allows them to automatically register for classes via telephone.

"I think the system works great. More or less, everybody likes it. It's quick and easy," said Gabriel Lopez, a senior biochemistry major.

Under the old registration system, students had to wait for weeks to find out if they were able to get the classes they wanted upon receipt of a bill.

"With VIP, the system immediately responds and tells the student if they are booked in the class. The system allows students to shop for their classes," said Mario Lucchesi, the director of registration.

Before VIP registration, instructors would sign up for different shifts to help with the registration process, and students were required to show up in person at the University Center during their appointed time slot to register for classes.

Now instead of waiting in long lines, students simply pick up the phone during their designated time slot and register for classes.

With the new system, students sign on using their social security numbers and birth dates. VIP is comparable to the menu-based systems utilized by some companies to direct callers to the right department.

When students call, they hear the voice of Radio and Television Assistant Professor Beth Olson, who has extensive experience in radio and television news.

Olson said she auditioned for the part that would allow her to talk indirectly to UH's 32,000 member student body.

"It felt strange at first. I marked the script before I recorded it. The only thing that was difficult was pronouncing some of the cities, counties and some of the faculty," Olson said.

VIP first went on line in December for priority add/drop with the system receiving about 25,000 calls from about 6,000 students, said Lucchesi.

"Calls are spread throughout the day starting from early in the morning to late at night," said Lucchesi.

Lucchesi said the university did a formal survey of the students who used VIP in December.

The responses ranged from "saves time and gas" to "keep it going," said Lucchesi.

The system came on line again in April for summer/fall registration. Students can still register from July 25 to 31, Aug. 8 to 13 and Aug. 24 to 31.

Lucchesi said the system has received about 70,000 calls so far for summer and fall registration.

This summer, a 4000-level marketing research class will conduct a random telephone survey of students who used VIP during April and May, said Sharon Richardson, associate vice president for enrollment services.

"We want some feedback to find out what students would like to see changed with VIP," said Richardson.

The university spent about $200,000 to purchase VIP said Charles Shomper, associate vice president for Information Technology.

"It took almost seven months to get it checked out before we could do priority add/drop last December," said Shomper.

The system costs $50,000 a year to maintain the software and telephone lines, he said.

Eventually, students may be able to check their grades and apply for short term loans using VIP, said Shomper.

LANIER PROPOSES MORE COPS FOR '95

by Christian Messa

Houston Mayor Bob Lanier's proposed budget for fiscal year 1995 includes adding 550 police officers, or their overtime equivalent, to the Houston Police Department by December 1995.

In a statement issued by the mayor's office, Lanier suggests a 4 cent property tax increase that will cost roughly $2.13 per month on homesteads valued at $80,000 to pay for the extra officers.

Robert Frelow, assistant director of communications at the mayor's office, said disabled and senior citizens will not have to worry about the tax increase. Because of their tax exemption structure, senior citizens and the disabled generally "won't be affected by the increase," he said.

The tax increase would put 349 more officers on foot, bicycle, horse, auto and helicopter patrols.

Sixty officers would continue the Gang Task Force, and 29 more would join the Juvenile Division. Fourteen more investigators would join the Domestic Violence Unit, and more officers would help in public housing project security. The news release did not mention how many officers would participate in public housing security.

The proposed increase in police officers comes despite a 4.8 percent decrease in the overall crime index for Houston between 1992 and 1993. Crime incidents including murder, rape and robbery dropped to 141,179 in 1993 from 148,284 in 1992.

Because the cost of crime ranges between $30,000 to $47,000 per major crime, more police officers are needed according to the press release.

Mike Stella, regional director for Citizens Against Crime, said there will always be a need for more police officers.

"I think that's something we definitely do need," he said. "Regardless of how many (officers) they hire, there will never be enough."

Even with the proposed 4 cent tax increase, Houston would rank among the lowest of Texas cities based on property-related fees and taxes and lowest when including county and school taxes.

A public hearing will be held June 21 concerning the proposed budget, and city council will discuss it June 22.

'ACT'IONS LOUDER THAN WORDS

COACH PLAYS WAITING GAME BEFORE BASKETBALL GAME

The fate of Cougar basketball in '94-'95 suddenly seems to depend on the ACT exams turned in recently by two of head coach Alvin Brooks' most prized recruits.

Adrian Taylor, a 7-2, 320-pound center from Booker T. Washington and Galen Robinson, a 6-9 forward from Aldine MacArthur, both took the ACT college entrance exam for the second time Saturday.

Their scores currently fall below 17, the NCAA standard for eligibility.

Brooks said Monday the test results would be available in four to six weeks, but he won't be holding his breath.

"We'll still be competitive," Brooks said of the outlook should Robinson and/or Taylor come up short. "Obviously, we would be a lot better (with the recruits). They address a glaring weakness, a need on the front line."

Last season, that line included scoring and rebounding leader Tim Moore. Combining Moore's talents with those of Taylor at center and Robinson at power forward makes for an intriguing scenario.

However, Brooks shrugged off the notion that the loss of his would-be Twin Towers could mean the difference between a season ending in an NCAA tournament bid and a season ending in the cellar.

"We'll be stronger, but in terms of going from 8 wins to making the (NCAA) tournament...It's not impossible," Brooks said. "We could get it done, but we've still got a lot of areas to improve on."

Taylor and Robinson are among a stellar inaugural recruiting class for Brooks.

Damon Jones, a 6-3 shooting guard from Galveston Ball, and Tommie Davis, a point guard from Crenshaw High in Los Angeles, will be making their Cougar debuts in '94-'95.

Brooks pooh-poohed the idea of his recruiting class being similar to that of Michigan in 1991. That group, the so-called "Fab Five," went to the NCAA Championship game in its first season playing together.

"That's an awful lot of pressure to put on four freshmen," Brooks said. "You have to remember, they're just 18. They'll have some growing pains."

In particular, Brooks mentioned the conditioning of Taylor, whose physical measurements could send basketball fans into Shaquille O'Neal reveries. Brooks said he thought his big man could stand to be a little less big than 320 pounds.

"Shaquille took his team to the state championship and won it impressively," Brooks said of the unlikely comparison. "He was, if not the best big man in the country coming out of high school, one of the top two or three."

Still, a 7-2 presence in the paint for the Cougars could hardly hurt.

"I don't want to sound like a typical coach and downplay (a player's abilities)," Brooks said. "But I want to be realistic, and I want everyone to be realistic and give him a fair chance. He needs some time."

Preparing for the possibility of having the same front line as last year is part of the job for Brooks.

"It (the front line) is not going to be as bad because we did bring in (junior-college transfer) Kirk Ford, who can play on the front line, and we will have Tim Moore from the beginning of the year," Brooks said.

SPRINT SPECIALIST, FOUR OTHER COUGARS AT U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS

by Hiren Patel

On your mark...get set...go. With a bang, members of the University of Houston Track and Field team are off to it's final meet of the season. Five Cougars will be competing in this year's USA/Mobil Outdoor Championships June 15-18 in Knoxville, Tenn.

Sam Jefferson, the 100-meter sprint champion from this year's NCAA Outdoor Championships after finishing third last year, is leading the Cougars to the meet. A two-time Southwest Conference 100-meter champion, Jefferson finished second this year after missing most of the season.

Jefferson's expectations are high for these championships. "I feel okay," he said. "You never know going into a meet like this (how you're going to do). Like everyone else, I want to win. I feel better going into the meet this year than I did last year."

Jefferson said his future expectations are also high. "I think it's time to move on. (Olympics are) definitely in the picture, that's the ultimate goal." He has already won a gold medal as a member of the 400-meter relay team at the World University Games in 1993.

Along with Jefferson, the other Cougars participating in the meet are Sheddric Fields and Ubeja Anderson.

Fields will compete in the long jump, the event he won in the SWC Championships, and run the 100-meters. Anderson, the 110-meter high hurdles winner at the conference meet, will compete in the 110's.

The Lady Cougars will be represented at the meet by Drexel Long and Dawn Burrell. Long will run the 400-meter at the championships. She placed first in the 400-meters at five different meets. Her best came at the SWC meet where she won in a time of 52.93 seconds.

Burrell's major events are the 100-meter hurdles and the long jump. She placed second in both events at the conference meet this year at Rice. Burrrell finished first at both the Texas Southern Relays and Mizuno Houston Invitational.

Although the men's team placed third and the women fourth in the SWC Championships, Jefferson said he believes the Cougars will do well. "I think they're going to do great. I feel great about being a part of things here."