SPORE SPROUTS WITH GIANT

By D. McAdams

"Itz here, itz finally here!" The waiting, the praying, the longing seemed like forever, but it finally arrived.

Spore has really a full length CD entitled <I>Giant<P>.

This Boston based group is a flat out, ball bustin', hardcore-heavy punk band. The sound? Phat man, one of the phattest sounding funk bands out there.

Spore features Mona Elliot on vox, six strings, four strings and organ; Ayal Naor on vox, six strings, four strings and bronchitis (I'm not kidding, they had this in the CD's description); Marc Orleans on vox, six strings and organ; and

Christian Negrette on drums – true irony that the drummer's named Christian considering Spore's less than hearty endorsement of religion. Just listen to "Black Nail" which opens: "God's got a hollow tip dum-dum finge."

<I>Giant<P> is a 10-song piece of hard candy you'll be breaking your jaw on for years to come. The CD features Babe the Blue Ox-like innovative chord changes and song structures. But more importantly, the thing just rocks like a piece of granite (or UH administrator's heads).

There is one shortcoming of the CD, it's too damn short! After listening to it, one feels like a jilted lover. It woos you, it caresses you, it soothes you, it screws you and 33 minutes later it leaves you cold. Al Bundy has nothing on <I>Giant<P>.

Quickie aside, Spore aims to please that malevolent punk rocking bastard that resides in each of us. How could you not like a band that features a picture of Andre the Giant (Don't front like you don't know who I'm talking about. You watched WWF wrestling when you were a kid just like I did) on the face of its CD?

If you've always longed to be an iconoclastic terror who smokes cigarettes and scares old couples at train stations in Europe, this CD will pave the road to your goal. You could think of worse ways to spend your money than to check out <I>Giant<P>.

*******************************************************

CIVIL RIGHTS SUFFERING IN CHINA

by Naruth Phadungchai

China has more than just the ethical problems of its government officials to deal with. There is also the problem with China's record of human rights violations. For the most part, the media has concentrated on Beijing's frequent arrest and detention of political dissidents, its cruel prison system and its suppression of the Tibetian culture.

Yet equally troubling is China's treatment of its female population. To be sure many other societies treat women poorly. But for a country with over a billion people and an economy expected to rival that of the United States and Japan, the welfare of its people is all the more important.

China's population control policy and its view on education are just two examples that highlight the issue.

Angela Chen provided first-hand accounts from her days living in China. She is a senior accounting student at UH. As a teenager, she and her family moved to the United States nine years ago.

"They came to ask my mom to do surgery for birth control," said Chen. That happened soon after China's population control policy went into effect in the late 1970s. It allowed each family only one child.

Said Chen, "Mom said she already had three kids, and did they think she wanted any more?" Fortunately for Chen, who is a second child, she was born before China instituted its policy. Her mom did not have to undergo surgery.

Chen is also fortunate that her family does not prejudice against girls. Stories exist of rural families killing their baby girls, who are not valued as much as boys. That fact helps explain why China's policy is overlooked for some.

"Farmers get away with it," said Chen. "If your first child is a girl, you can have another one. They [the government] didn't want the girls killed." According to Chen, "It's deeply rooted in the Chinese mind that the only way to continue the family is to have a son to carry on the family name." More than that, for a practical reason, a large family is essential to work the farm.

Others who are also allowed more than one child are families who can afford to pay the penalties for having more children. Chen told of a distant relative who had three girls. "He was able to make enough money [to pay the fines]," said Chen.

The penalties range from monetary fines to loss of privileges, such as government subsidies given to people to buy rice. Unfortunately for those who cannot afford the penalties, they are forced to have abortions.

Despite the instances of leniency, China's effort has resulted in a low growth rate, estimated at 1.6 percent in 1992. But its success still would not stop the population from doubling within the next 50 years.

As a side note, according to a Times Magazine report, the Chinese government is considering passing a eugenics law. Aimed at preventing the births of handicapped children, officials say the abortions or sterilizations--of the women--would be encouraged, not forced.

The other example of how China is treating its female population is in its view towards education. For many girls, they do not have the opportunity to get even a secondary school education.

Chen spoke of a childhood friend in the city of Chantou, located in the Canton province along the prosperous coastal region of China. Her friend, Chen said, "was doing well in elementary school–she was one of the top ten [students]. But she didn't get a chance to go to junior high. Her family thought it was a waste of money to send her."

Only later did Chen find this out. "I met her one time after elementary school," she recalled, "She was selling cigarettes."

Chen asked her what had happened. "I could see that she wanted to study. She was 12 or 13 at the time."

Still, Chen's friend was better off than many girls. China's literacy rate is 84 percent for males, and only 62 percent for females. The overall figure according to a 1990 estimate shows that only 73 percent of the population over the age of 15 is capable of reading or writing. That leaves well over a quarter of a billion people illiterate.

Chen did get the chance to attend junior high school. Yet she admitted that, "If I were in China, I wouldn't have had a chance of getting a college education."

In fact she had taken an entrance exam to enter a teaching school. She placed second; only the girl with the best score got to go. It didn't matter in the end because her family emigrated to the United States shortly after.

Chen said, "I have the full intention of going back next year [to China]. I want to go to visit." She said she still has friends in China with whom she corresponds with, and whom she wants to see.

For Chen, hers is a success story. She expects to graduate this Fall. In the meantime, she works for a local law firm downtown.

She reminisces on the day she arrived in the United States. The date was September 16, and her uncle said to her, "Your life will be completely different from now on."

STUDENT AID HITS ALL-TIME HIGH

Although the National Association of State Scholarship and Grant Programs reported a 3.2 percent in Texas student aid increase in 1993-1994, Rob Sheridan, director of financial aid, said need-based aid for UH students has remained relatively constant.

The survey, authored by Jerry S. Davis, vice-president for research and policy analysis for the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, indicated state spending on student aid was at an all-time high this year, but more students were seeking help than ever before.

The 50 states, in addition to the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, allocated more than $2.5 billion for need and non-need student aid last year.

The states also plan to spend an additional $426.3 million in other aid. Student aid spending amounting to almost $3 billion meant an increase of 12.6 percent from last year, the biggest percentage increase in 15 years.

Seven states represented, which spend more than $100 million on undergraduate need-based aid, make up 61 percent of the total. California alone spends $210.1 million on student aid.

"It's extremely difficult with student aid to compare from state to state. It's like looking at apples and oranges," said Sheridan.

On the whole, about one in every five full-time undergraduates will receive a need-based grant, and one in every four should receive a share of state money in 1993-1994.

Nationally, the average grant was $1,382–an increase of 6.6 percent over last year; 1.6 million students were expected to receive need-based aid.

The NASSGP reported that Texas had spent $31.5 million for a 3.2 percent increase during the 1993-1994 school year.

"A 3.2 percent increase is not very much. That only amounts to a million dollar increase. Financial aid programs have not been cut, but they have not increased at the same rate as the cost of education," said Jane Caldwell, the director of special programs for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Caldwell said those survey numbers do not present an accurate picture of student aid funding in Texas.

"When we send data, it is about a 25-page report. They extract and condense and come up with those numbers," she said.

In such states as New York, Pennsylvania, and California– where states spend large amounts of money for student aid–Caldwell said one has to consider the cost of education in those states.

Texas, to a large extent, subsidizes state universities to keep tuition rates affordable so students do not have to seek additional student aid, she said.

"The state appropriation per student this year is estimated at $4,800 per student this year, and $5,100 per student for next fall," said Caldwell.

Without state support, student tuition rates would be much higher, she said. In New York, state tuition is $3,102 versus $1,486 in Texas.

Most financial aid programs are being held steady or decreasing slightly, except for the Texas Equalization Grant program, which has received a significant increase in its funding, she said.

The TEG is for students attending private universities in Texas like Baylor or Rice.

The NASSGP is the only nationwide survey of financial aid, said Caldwell.

"It probably has some usefulness but I have a lot of problems with it because of the numbers and definitions they choose to use," said Caldwell.

Memorial Service

A memorial service will be held for Daniel Sciaraffa, Jr. at 4 p.m., June 22, in room 201 of the A.D. Bruce Religion Center.

Daniel was a senior majoring in industrial technology. All friends, classmates, faculty and staff are welcome.

MOBIL COTTON BOWL TO BE MOVED FOR '96

The Cotton Bowl Athletic Association announced Monday that the Mobil Cotton Bowl Classic will be played at Texas Stadium in Irving, Tx., beginning in 1996.

The CBAA submitted the proposal for the move to a committee of conference commissioners who will decide whether the Mobil Cotton Bowl is one of four major-college bowls to host the national championship game.

The game, which has featured the Southwest Conference champion for most of its history, has been played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas since 1937.

So far, the proposal has drawn fire from the Dallas mayor and city council, who felt the Cotton Bowl was not given any support to the CBAA before the final decision was made.

The decision to move is supposed to entail additional financial benefits for participating teams, but these were not specified in the proposal.

EX-FOOTBALL, TRACK START DIES AT 61

Former Houston football and track and field standout Earl Herbert Kaiser, Jr. died Sunday of a heart attack. He was 61.

As a running back he received two letters, ran the 120-yard high hurdles and was a member of the 440-yard relay team for the track team.

He competed in football in the 1956 and '57 seasons and ran track in the '57-'58 seasons.

He is a member of the Cougar Hall of Fame.

He will be laid to rest 1:30 p.m. today at Forest Park East on Nasa Road 1. He is survived by his wife, Shirley, and two children, Earlene and Romana.

PHILADELPHIA GETS THE REAL MCCOY

Former UH football player Ryan McCoy came to terms with the Philadelphia Eagles Monday.

McCoy, a 6-2, 237-pound linebacker, was drafted by the Eagles in the sixth round. He was the all-time leading tackler for the Cougars. He was also made a two-time All-Southwest Conference selection.

He was the third and final Cougar selected in the NFL draft.

HOPING TO DREAM

Students look to Rockets for 1st title

by Hiren Patel

Choke City vs Clutch City?

Almost every student asked about tonight's Game 7 between the Houston Rockets and New York Knicks for the National Basketball Association championship agrees the Rockets will prevail and prove Houston as "clutch city."

Savannah Villery, a desk clerk at the Satellite said, "If it's a close game , the Rockets will win. They didn't look scared Sunday night when they were very close." She thinks that all the Rockets should play well, especially Sam Cassell.

Villery, who will be watching the game at home with her husband and son, is a die-hard fan. She says, "I won't be depressed if they lose because I have faith in them.

"If the Rockets prove to be chokers, I'll start doing my homework. My friends will be kicked out of my apartment," said Timothy Chen, a management systems junior. "But if the Rockets win, we'll go crazy, we'll go skinny-dipping if they win. The Rockets should win because of home court advantage."

Mechanical engineering sophomore Eleno DeLeon is very pessimistic about the Rockets. "If the Rockets lose, I won't care much about it. But my friends will probably go into a depression, so will the rest of the city," said DeLeon. "Sometimes, they look very bad when they play because they don't play smart."

As a bandwagon fan, DeLeon also said, "I am looking forward to seeing the reaction of the city if the Rockets win."

Etienne George, a graduate chemistry student, is watching the game at his house with his cat. "We have home court advantage so we must win," he said.

Diana Ortiz, a senior math student, hasn't decided where she will watch the game, but knows the Rockets will win. "When they have to win, they win. So they should come back even if they are down. This is the biggest game for Houston," Ortiz said.

"The game should be close for the first three quarters, but the Rockets should dominate the fourth quarter to win the championship. They should win by five points," said Joel Geny, a graduate chemistry student. "(Hakeem) Olajuwon and (Patrick) Ewing should play each other out evenly, but Olajuwon still has the advantage."

Jack Warnant, a foreign exchange student, has been watching the Rockets since his arrival here. Warnant said, "I've been watching only the Rockets play. I hope they win because I've never been in a city where they can win a championship."

1994 TRACK AND FIELD NOT WITHOUT HIGHLIGHTS

The 1994 collegiate track and field season came to a conclusion June 4 when the NCAA Outdoor Championships were run in Boise, Idaho.

But some members of the Houston men's and women's track and field team had one more race to run. The USA/Mobil Outdoor Championships ended June 18. Now the Cougar track schedule is complete.

It was a season that had plenty to talk about.

The year started with the short indoor season. With only three meets before the Southwest Conference Championships and only five to qualify for the NCAA's, the pressure was high.

The men's and women's team finished the SWC meet in fourth place.

Winners at the SWC meet included Ubeja Anderson, Paul Lupi, Katrina Harris and the women's 1600-meter relay team.

Sam Jefferson was ejected from the meet in a controversial decision. Officials said he had not given the honest effort required to finish a race despite a twinge in his hamstring.

The Cougars sent Anderson to the USA/Mobil Indoor Championships.

The outdoor season started with a bang as long jumper Sheddric Fields automatically qualified for the NCAA outdoor meet at the Carl Lewis Relays, the first outdoor meet on the schedule.

His jump of 26 feet-7 1/4 inches was a breakthrough for the young sophomore who had struggled his freshman year. This was his best jump of the year, he tied it again at the Mizuno Houston Invitational.

The biggest shock of the season came when Jefferson was diagnosed with hepatitis and missed most of the season.

He was able to recover in time to compete in the SWC meet April 23-24, the earliest the meet had ever been held.

At the SWC Championships the men finished third while the women placed fourth.

Winners at the SWC meet included Fields, Anderson, Drexel Long, Edwina Ammonds and the men's 400-meter relay team.

The highlight came for the Cougars when Jefferson, a senior, qualified for the NCAA Championships after fully recovering from his illness. Not only did he qualify, but he won the 100-meter sprint.

He then went on to run in the U.S. meet, along with six other Cougars. Jefferson placed fifth in the nation in the 100-meters.

CANOEING INTO FIRST PLACE

Being up a creek in a concrete canoe is not a problem for UH civil engineering students.

The UH concrete canoe team won first place at the American Society of Civil Engineers regional competition April 21—23 in Corpus Christi. They defeated 13 teams from Texas and Mexico.

The national ASCE competition will be held June 23—26 in New Orleans.

The UH canoe, the lightest boat in the competition at 103 pounds, was named the "Fathead Minnow" by the 30-member team.

"We learned that they test the toxicity of water based on the population of fathead minnows," said Cecilia Penarrieta, civil engineering senior and president of the UH ASCE chapter.

Only fiber mesh was used, instead of steel mesh, which is traditionally used to build concrete canoes.

"Nowadays, companies are looking to fiber mesh to get more strength out of concrete. It’s a new technology," said Penarrieta.

The canoe was damaged during the competition, so the team had to make a new canoe.

"We only built it for one day racing; with real thin walls. That’s how we were able to get the lightest weight canoe," said David Kofstad, civil engineering senior and team coordinator.

The team practiced every weekend at Clear Lake before the competition to try and determine who the fastest rowers and the best combination of people.

The competition is based 60 percent on academics, which includes a paper and oral presentation about how the canoe was made and 40 percent on the rowing time.

"Based on what we did (in Corpus), we far outdistanced our competition. We have a real good shot this weekend," said Kofstad.