LAW HALL RENOVATIONS APPROVED

by Tiffany Vaughner

After protests from Quadrangle residents and students in the UH Honors College, the UH Board of Regents unanimously approved the universities request to renovate portions of Law Hall to house The Scholars' Community, a program funded by Exxon.

The original plan was to move the Exxon program into the basement of M. D. Anderson Library. The Honors College, which now occupies the basement, would move to the second and third floors of Oberholtzer Hall. Fifteen to twenty students would be displaced by the move and resettled into other rooms in OB.

The change in moving the Exxon program to Law Hall came about because the UH administrationn thought it would be easier to renovate and would allow the program to start in the fall as originally planned.

In his adress to the Board of Regents, vice president for student affairs Elwyn Lee, said he understood the students concerns about being displaced, but said that of the 91 rooms in Law Hall only 17 would be taken away. Lee said that translated into a loss of approximatly 34 beds. He said those students would be moved to other rooms in the Quadrangle.

Students disagreed with the Honors College move because of the displacement of students and what they felt was the universities mistaken assumption that the Quadrangle is the center of campus life. They also disappoved of the way in which the news of the move was introduced to the them by UH administration.

In a letter to the Regents, Residence Halls Association President Shirley Hollingsworth and former President Jerry Alwais, said they felt it was, "a shame when university administrators must lie and be secretive about issues affecting a college campus..."

Attached to the RHA letter was a list of student concerns about the move. In that letter Holligsworth and Alwais took acception to UH administration taking away a building that had been designated as an Honors Hall.

Some other concerns were the need to bring Law Hall up to the accessability standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the possible need for asbestos abatement, the availability of fire exits, laundry room access and adequate Lounge/Kitchen space.

The letter also showed the results of a referendum RHA conducted that showed out of 332 ballots 73 percent opposed the move, 26 percent wetre for it 1 percent were undecided.

Lee went through the list of students concerns and said they would all be taken care of with special attention being payed to the need for fire exits, the ADA requirements and asbestos abatement.

Regents approved designated funds of $250,000 and another $250,000 of Higher Education Assistance Funds to renovate the approximately 8800 square feet of space in Law Hall.

Three hundred students will start the Exxon program in September. Exxon donated $500,000 last semester and an additional $1.5 million will be raised from private companies and philanthropic donations.

Also on the agenda, Regents approved the confermation of emeritus status on retiring faculty.

Professor Robert Eckles, a member of the College of Business since 1984 and coordinator of the General Business Degree, will be remembered for his high level of professionalism as well as innovative teaching skills. Eckles authored four widly used text books and many journal articles. He also developed new marketing courses and helped pave the way for a possible major in General Business.

*******************************************************

ATHLETIC FACILITY 'ON SCHEDULE' AS BUILDERS FIGHT HOUSTON RAIN

Updated progress on the construction of UH's new state-of-the-art athletic facility has been termed "on schedule" by D.E. Harvey Builders Co. General Superintendent Carrel Bostian.

Bostian and his crew have been hard at work on the project since late November and expect the construction to be completed by early March 1995.

"(The builders) work every day and every hour that they possibly can," said Director of Operations Jack Hurlbut. "Carrel has been tough as nails and is really hard on those guys."

Since its inception in 1957, Harvey Builders Co. has been responsible for the construction of two 42-story buildings in San Diego and was also credited with the construction of Dallas' Galleria Mall.

While the construction of the building is moving quickly, Bostian admits rain in Houston often becomes a huge factor in determining further progress on the company's current project.

"It's not a whole lot of fun trying to get things done when you're trying to walk through eleven acres of mud," said Bostian. "If we hadn't had any rain, we'd probably be about a month and a half further (along) than where we're already at."

Looking at the construction, one can already get a view of just how colossal a project the facility is turning out to be. In some areas of the building, insulation is already being installed while the outer wall to the entire right side of the building has been built.

"Every Tuesday, we have a project meeting and have a twenty-eight-day look-ahead schedule," Hurlbut said of how the company decides on which areas of the facility are to be worked on during specific days.

During the week of June 13-17, workers, who usually work from 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., were installing curving rafters, which are to serve as the frame for the roof of the facility's indoor practice football field.

Although it may seem like construction is progressing smoothly enough to open the building before the projected date, neither Bostian nor University of Houston Athletic Director Bill Carr foresee any possibilities of a premature grand opening.

"I'm gratified to see the progress construction has been making," said Carr. "But we still have lots of preparation to do before we move in (to the facility)."

The funding for the $25 million facility project was made possible by philanthropic donations from former UH alums John and Rebecca Moores in October 1991. Projected to be the finest, most advanced athletic complex in the nation, Carr also said he hopes the facility is a step in the right direction to the university receiving added credibility from around the country.

"I think the facility is a quantum leap in that it will address needs in practically every area of our organization," said Carr. "I feel that it will enhance our credibility knowing that we will have a first-class establishment to do business in."

In addition to Harvey working on the complex itself, the corporation is also constructing a new 3,000-seat lighted baseball stadium. The field should be operational in time for the next Cougar baseball season.

"I guarantee you," said Hurlbut, "it will not be but a month before you start seeing grass growing on that field."

As anticipation for the facility's opening reaches a climax, Carr and the others working on the project agree the sooner the construction is completed, the better.

"Our span of control (around the athletic program) will be improved as soon as it's completed," said Carr.

"It would be to our benefit because then our guys can go get to work on something else," said Bostian. "This is a funny business. We love to find work. But once we find a job, we are really working to get out of a job."

GRAVES STARTS NEW PROGRAM TO INCREASE MINORITY ENROLLMENT

by Tiffany Vaughner

Morris Graves, former assistant director of the UH African American Studies program, has moved on to head a pilot program, named The Urban Experience, that focuses on the needs of minority students.

The concept of the program, Graves said, came out of cabinet meetings with UH President James Pickering. He said the focus of the program is on the "recruitment, retention and matriculation" of African and Mexican American students.

"The university has come up, under Dr. Pickering's leadership, with a number of different ideas to increase the enrollment of African American and Mexican American students. But it's not enough to recruit. Statistical data out there shows that seventy percent of the African American kids as compared to forty-three percent of white kids, drop out of four-year institutions and the bulk of those are dropping out of predominantly white universities like UH," said Graves.

He named five components of the program he said would enhance students' opportunities to succeed. Graves said he and the director of the Latino half of the program, Laura G. Murillo, were encouraged to tailor their programs to the needs of their respective ethnic groups.

The first component is increased scholarship money. Graves and Murillo both agreed that lack of funds are a major reason for high drop-out rates among minority students.

The second component, which Graves said had not yet been approved by Pickering, is mandatory residency requirements for first-time enrolled students. He said he wanted students to be required to stay on campus for their freshman and sophomore years.

"One of the most important elements I can build into this program is the residency requirement. The reason being all the retention material showing that young people who are submerged in the college experience have a far greater chance to succeed. And statistics show they do succeed at a higher rate," said Graves.

He said students who live on campus are more active in student organizations, are stronger alums and have a greater retention and matriculation rate.

The third component of the program is paid internships. He said the freshman and sophomore years would be spent on campus with faculty or administration. The junior year would be spent doing community service for non-profit organizations. He said he would try to place students in the field of their major during their senior year.

The fourth component, Graves said, is having mandatory classes for students, with required hours in Mexican and African American studies. He also said he would like to have the students stay together as a group, taking all their classes together. He said he felt this would facilitate fostering a sense of belonging for the students, and could aid in maintaining study groups.

The fifth component is mandatory meetings with career counselors in the student's field of study. The student would be required to meet with a counselor at least once a month beginning with the freshman year.

Murillo and Graves stressed the involvement of parents in the program by requiring that parents and students sign a contract agreeing to mandatory meetings with the director or assistant director to discuss the progress of the child.

Murillo also said her half of the program would stress the importance and positivity of being bilingual.

Graves said his reason for leaving AAS was not due to any unhappiness with the program, but because he felt he had helped take it as far as he could.

"My philosophy is that there are basically two types of people in bureaucracy; there are those who are creative and those who are maintainers.

"Regardless of the departments I've worked in, generally three to four years is my limit. I'm the kind of person who likes to take something and expand it, enlarge it, make it more receptive and get more people involved and I feel I've done that with AAS, and this gives me a chance to build a new program," said Graves.

AWARDING A BETTER LEGAL SYSTEM

by Charles Felderhoff

The UH Law Center is preparing to award $40,000 to a deserving individual or group that has worked to improve the Texas legal system.

The ATOR award is the university's legal improvement award. It was started in 1984 when the late Dean Emeritus A.A. White and his wife, Ersie, donated the money in the name of her father.

The award is given once every three or four years. The income from the money donated by the Whites is allowed to accumulate over the years and then is awarded to the individual or group chosen by the screening committee. This year the income has totaled $40,000.

The Law Center is now accepting nominations for the award.

"We are just now beginning nominations. We have received 25 so far and we are trying to promote [the ATOR award] and get people to nominate others," Janna Vollhanrat, assistant to the dean of the UH Law Center said.

The ATOR award, according to the announcement, is to recognize a group or person who "has had the greatest impact in bettering society in the state of Texas by encouraging or causing a change of law or in the administration of justice."

Those eligible for the award can be anyone from lawyers and judges to legislators and private organizations.

The first award went to Frank G. Evans, chief justice of the First Court of Appeals, for his work promoting alternative dispute resolution (ADR), in 1988. ADR is the attempt to resolve legal disputes without going to court. This can be done with the use of mediation, arbitration and other forms that decrease the burden on the court system.

The second award, in 1991, went to the Texas Council for Family Violence in recognition of the group's fight against domestic violence. The council initiated and guided the largest and broadest legislative packages ever on domestic violence.

The requirements for nomination are that the accomplishment for which the group or individuals are nominated must have occurred during the three year period before the announcement of the award.

The recipient of this year's award will be chosen by a screening committee. The committee consists of the chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court, the president of the State Bar of Texas, the dean of the UH Law Center and the president of the UH Law Foundation.

Nominations may be made by anyone and must be received by Aug. 1. To obtain nominating petitions or more information about the ATOR award, contact Professor John B. Neibel at the UH Law Center.

PRICIPLES ENTER NEW ERA

by Nilsa Eason

The University of Houston hosted for the first time, a two-day principal's conference where 150 local school principals got together to discuss problems facing urban schools.

"This is the first meeting of this type and we hope to see many more, but it is only a continuation of the many outreach projects UH has with the schools," said Dean of the College of Education William Georgiades.

Georgiades also said the conference encourages collaboration among the local school systems and universities in trying to solve unique urban problems. He said a university cannot exist apart from the community.

HISD Superintendent Rod Paige was one of the speakers. Paige said principals today are being asked to lead students into an information society that is based on global competition.

In the past, he said, public schools were looked upon to help solve some of our nation's social problems, and that public schools have been asked to be leaders.

Paige told the principals they should establish themselves as the leaders of their campuses, and that they must have a vision of what it is they want to accomplish and not let themselves get off track.

He also stated four guidelines for them to follow. First, for school principals to be effective they must have determination and stay focused, even when faced with adversity.

Second, they should think strategically when faced with problems. Their ability to think in terms of a strategic plan will help them implement solutions that work. He said this was important to urban principalship.

Third, Paige said principals should have courage.

"Leaders get shot down, and your concern for getting shot gets you away from your vision…You have to take risks," he said.

Paige ended his speech by telling principals that they should have deep respect for themselves, even when faced with negative media coverage.

The two-day conference last Friday and Saturday at the College of Education, included sessions on such topics as gangs, discipline, teacher assessment, personnel development and site-based decision making.

Other speakers included UH President James Pickering, State Board of Education member Alma Allen, and Greater Houston Coalition for Educational Excellence President Lawrence Payne.

BUTTERFLIES ABOUND AT HMNS EXHIBIT

With a flutter of colorful wings, the Houston Museum of Natural Science will open a new exhibit Friday.

The Cockrell Butterfly Center is the newest addition to the museum's permanent exhibits.

With a 40-foot waterfall, Central American rainforest, an overhanging cliff and a butterfly meadow all set in a three-story high transparent structure, the exhibit offers an observer an opportunity to view the colorful butterflies in a natural environment.

The 10,000 square foot rain forest will be home to thousands of live butterflies from around the world. The butterflies will be free to flutter around the rainforest. About 30 percent of the butterflies will be raised by the museum staff and the rest will be imported as pupae from "butterfly farms."

The butterflies the museum raises can be seen hatching from their chrysalises in three Mayan carvings in a cliff wall.

The butterfly center is round and faces southwest to maximize the amount of sunlight reaching inside the structure. The butterflies need light and heat so they can fly and the 150 species of plant need sunlight to bloom and grow.

The temperature inside the center is kept between 78 and 85 degrees and has a humidity level of 80 percent.

The center will also feature a 3,000 square foot Hall of Entomology which will display 100,000 specimens of exotic dried butterflies, moths and beetles in every imaginable shape and color.

The exhibit hall is intended to show the relationship between plants and insects and the ways mankind and the environment benefit from insects.

The exhibit is part of Face of the Future: Phase II, the museums renovations program. This $19 million campaign will also provide funds for Wiess Energy Hall, an exhibit of the science of oil and gas technology, opening in September.

Thursday, the museum will offer a free preview of the butterfly center. Entertainment planned for the day include demonstrations, face painting, a live band, mimes and jugglers.

The museum is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday noon to 6 p.m. Admission to the Cockrell Butterfly Center is $3 for adults and $1.50 for museum members.

ROBINSON TOP 'DOG' OF PRE-DRAFT; SWC LOOKING NBAwful

by Hiren Patel

The Big Dog is barking. Barking, that is, to announce his arrival to the Milwaukee Bucks and professional basketball.

As the NBA holds its annual draft today, Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson is expected to be a cinch as the No. 1 pick for the Bucks. After Robinson, Duke's Grant Hill, California's Jason Kidd, and Connecticut's Donyell Marshall are likely to be selected.

The Bucks are hoping Robinson will revitalize their team the way the No. 1 pick of two years ago, Shaquille O'Neal, revitalized the Orlando Magic, lifting them to .500 in his first season. For that reason, the Bucks have already begun to negotiate a contract with Robinson's agent.

Robinson brings with him excellent credentials. He was not only first-team All-American but also the National Player of the Year. This past season, he led the nation in scoring and led the Big Ten in rebounding.

According to most experts, the best college point guard, Jason Kidd, should be the second player selected, by the Dallas Mavericks. He would be an excellent piece in Dallas' puzzle which already includes Jimmy Jackson and Jamal Mashburn.

Kidd, who played only two years of college ball, has already shown that he can dish the basketball better than any player in college. He led the nation in assists and set school records in career assists and steals in his two years at Cal.

However, there is a possibility that Dallas may not pick Kidd and instead will settle on Hill. Both players have had tryouts for the Mavericks and with Kidd's off-court problems, Hill would be the next best choice.

Hill can play three positions--point guard, shooting guard, and small forward. He has been an All-American three times and has helped Duke win two national championships.

This year's NBA draft is likely to be weak for the Southwest Conference. Only four SWC players have been given any chance of being drafted today.

The only player with a first-round chance is Texas point guard B.J. Tyler. He should be selected late in the first round or early in the second. Tyler's only problem could be a broken foot and the SWC suspension he suffered in the 1992-1993 season.

However, Tyler rebounded this season to lead the Longhorns in scoring and help them win the SWC championship.

Houston's Anthony Goldwire is also expected to be drafted. Phoenix, Chicago, and Houston have all shown interest in Goldwire at one time or another and he could be selected in the late second round.

The only other SWC players that may be drafted are Texas forward Albert Burditt and Texas A&M guard David Edwards. Burditt set school records for career rebounds and blocked shots.

Edwards, who is regarded as an outstanding passer, ball-handler and shooter, holds Aggie career records for assists and steals.

NBA DRAFT BECKONS FORMER COOG

UH's Goldwire awaits today's picks

Despite all the interest shown in Anthony Goldwire over the last few weeks, he is still uncertain about his status for today's NBA draft.

Goldwire, a 6-0 point guard who scored 17.5 points a game and handed out 3.9 assists for the Cougars in 1993-'94, has worked out for the Chicago Bulls, Phoenix Suns, and Houston Rockets so far in preparation for the two-round event.

He worked out for the hometown Rockets on Sunday and again on Tuesday.

So far, he hasn't heard much.

"They never give you any indication whether they're going to draft you or not (after a workout)," Goldwire said on Tuesday. "They just tell you, 'You had a very good workout, and we'll be getting in touch with you'."

Goldwire's stock has risen rapidly since the end of the UH basketball season. Besides working out with NBA teams, Goldwire has also participated in a pro camp in Phoenix.

"It was like a regular all-star game; everybody was just trying to get the ball and score," Goldwire said. "I was up there getting everybody involved, taking my shots when they were there, just playing very relaxed and poised." He wasn't the only one pleased with his performance.

"The Suns vice-president told me he enjoyed watching me play, because he told me I was the only one out of the guards (at the camp) who didn't just get the ball from one end of the court and take off to do his own thing," Goldwire said.

Goldwire finished his Cougar career with a bit of a disappointing year on paper. He shot only .415 from the floor, .281 from three-point range, after he was moved from point guard to shooting guard early in the year.

He said he felt better about his chances of being drafted given his post-season activities, but couldn't take anything for granted.

"You never know, because there's so many people still trying to get drafted," he said. "So you really can't get all hyped up until draft day is here and they tell you they're gonna draft you."

Asked if he would prefer to play for the Rockets, who have shown a late interest in him, Goldwire seemed indifferent.

"You're not in a position to make that decision unless you're a top-five or top-ten pick," Goldwire said. "As far as my preference, it doesn't matter.

"It's just an opportunity to be in the league, just to play."

A transfer from Pensacola Junior College two years ago, Goldwire was a key part of the '92-'93 Cougar team that finished 21-7, getting snubbed by the NCAA tournament.

In '93-'94, however, he became one of the leaders on an inexperienced team in a rebuilding phase. That phase unfortunately included an 8-19 record and a first-round loss in the Southwest Conference tournament.

But Goldwire's amateur life is now over.

"It (the draft) is kinda different from college and high school, where recruiters come to see you," Goldwire said.

"Now, it's a business and there's so much money out there, if they like you, they'll pick you, and it's on them now."

If the draft isn't kind to Goldwire, he has other options. Former Cougar forward Charles Outlaw, who wasn't drafted after he graduated in '93, played in both Europe and the CBA briefly before surfacing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers last season.

"Europe is more of a big man's place," Goldwire said. "I don't think it's a place for speedy guards. They have the guards that just get the big men involved."

Somehow, that just doesn't seem enough for this Houston product.

WORLD CUP'S 1ST ROUND WINDING DOWN

by Chad V. GoGan

Round one of the 1994 World Cup is coming to a close. For some it is time for a short celebration, and for others, it is time to pack for home.

The United States team knew it would be playing in the second round going into Tuesday's games, it just did not know who its opponent would be.

The mystery was solved when Brazil tied Sweden 1-1 in Tuesday's final Group B match. The U.S. will now play Group B winner Brazil on Monday in Palo Alto, Calif.

Brazil finished the first round 2-0-1. The U.S. is at 1-1-1.

In true underdog fashion, the U.S. is already entering the next game short-handed. As a result of receiving a second yellow card in the game against Romania, midfielder John Harkes was given a one game suspension.

Holding true to form, Group E ended with Italy tying Mexico 1-1 and Ireland tying Norway 0-0. All four teams finished with one win, one loss and one tie.

Based on a coin toss, Mexico places first with Ireland finishing second. Italy still has a chance to reach the second round, but must await the outcome of the other group finishes. Norway is going home.

In Group C, Spain advanced to the second round by placing second, behind Germany. Sweden also advances with a number-two finish in Group B.

Today's games will decide the first-place winner in Group F. Belgium plays Saudi Arabia in Washington and Morocco plays the Netherlands in Orlando.

Belgium is undefeated and needs only a win or a tie to clinch first. Only Morocco has no chance to advance to the second round.

The second round will begin Saturday, July 2.

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS ESCAPE THE GRUNGE CAGE

by Valérie Fouché

Brace yourselves – Stone Temple Pilots are coming and the band is all fired up to get you thrashing about in the mosh pit.

The members of STP – Scott Weiland, Eric Kretz, Dean and Robert DeLeo – are back together, touring with a new release under their belt, and sound even better than before.

After flipping out and canceling the first tour, and the band members not talking to each other for six months, the guys put their problems aside, got back into the studio and recorded the current offering, <I>Purple<P>. Now with <I>Purple<P>'s release the band feels confident that they finally have gotten their act together.

The band saw instant success with its first album, <I>Core<P>, released last September, which climbed the charts to number three by the following May, becoming a triple-platinum album.

The band took undeserved beatings from the press and <I>Beavis & Butthead<P> as to the copy cat Seattle grunge sound, tearing the members apart and eventually leading to the cancellation of the last tour.

What did the press and <I>Beavis & Butthead<P> do to break up this quartet? <I>Beavis & Butthead<P> heated up the issue of the band sounding like Pearl Jam on MTV by proclaiming that they ripped them off. But, then the flip side of that same conversation gave way to "maybe Pearl Jam ripped them off."

As far as the press was concerned, same basic issue.

STP sounded like all the other Seattle grunge type bands and continually compared them to Pearl Jam (of course), Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana.

But wait just a damn minute, these guys aren't from Seattle, they hail from Southern California! Okay, maybe there are some similarities in Eddie Vedder's and Scott Weiland's raspy low voices, but if you really listen to the lyrics, therein lies the difference.

Weiland's not as self-absorbed as Vedder, preferring to sing about outside issues, including rape – as in his misunderstood anti-rape song "Sex Type Thing" off of <I>Core<P>. The song, some people suggested was Weiland's way of obsessing in a rapist type fantasy.

However, the song was actually written about a woman Weiland was once head-over-heals in love with, whose first sexual experience was being raped by three drunk football players at a high school party.

Another hard hitting comment about the band came from Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers who referred to them as Stone Pimple Toilets. And, believe it or not, they toured with this band. Some loyalty!

The odd thing about STP being classified instantly as Seattle grunge, is that Weiland's sound was developed long before there even was a category called that. He has spent the past 11 years writing and performing his music.

He started out in high school with a postpunk band Awkward Positions, later becoming Soi-Distant. After high school, he dropped out of college and joined up with the eccentric, introverted bass player, Robert DeLeo in 1986. Following their hook-up came the other two band members, Robert's older brother Dean on guitar and a waiter who played drums, Eric.

The band, once together, became known as Swing, later changing their name to Mighty Joe Young. Again they changed their name due to the similarities in sound to another band, Ugly Kid Joe, as well as finding out that there actually was a Mighty Joe Young who performs as a blues singer. The band in '92 became Shirley Temple's Pussy for a brief period before finally settling on Stone Temple Pilots prior to <I>Core<P>.

STP's newest release will most likely see the same fame as the first album. With tunes as unforgettable as "Plush" and "Creep" still receiving air time, the latest offering should fare well.

Weiland, happy yet "amazed" that the band was able to get back together after the band's split, feels confident that <I>Purple<P> will set them apart from the Seattle grunge sound they've been chained to.

The band's sound hasn't changed much, but instead has become more musically varied, giving way to some melodic acoustics, and even offering a nice blend of bluesy rock and grinding grunge as offered in their song "Big Empty."

This album has moodier and darker elements, dealing lyrically with the issues of sudden stardom and the pain the press caused the band. The song "Kitchenware and Candybars," deals directly with that issue, stating bitterly that "They sell their words but it's all a lie."

The aggressive and grinding song "Unglued" suggests that "Moderation is masturbation." However, the chorus that follows is a little less certain of that statement, "All these things I think about/Always come unglued."

In "Meatplow" Weiland sings about his current relationship and how his girlfriend's love saved him from himself. He apologizes to her in the song "Loungefly," for all the times he was one and wasn't there for her. Another song to his love is the trippy "Still Remains," with lyrics like, "Take a bath/I'll drink the water that you leave."

The songs "Army Ants," and "Silvergun Superman," will definitely get you in the moshing mood. Whereas, "Interstate Love Song," and "Pretty Penny," have smooth lilting melodies and vocal harmonies. There is no doubt that this release has something musically different for all your rock moods.

<I>Stone Temple Pilots play at the Astro Arena on July 5th with the Meat Puppets and Redd Kross.<P>