VANILLA'S MANY FLAVORS MAKE FOR TASTY TREAT

by Tom Turner

How many times have we all heard that a band draws on a number of outside influences to create a "distinct style?" Most likely more than you care to even think about.

However, Mammoth recording artist Vanilla Trainwreck is capable of this and much more. The group truly does create a sound that's a cut above your average rockers.

<I>Mordecai<P> is the latest release for the group under the Mammoth recording label. The band debuted in 1989 with its self-released cassette, <I>Santaclaustrophobia<P>, which was a collection of 7" singles. The group followed this with several more releases, including <I>Sofa Livin' Dreamazine<P> and <I>Sounding to Try Like You<P>.

The 13 tracks on <I>Mordecai<P> are a fairly good representation for Vanilla Trainwreck. The songs on this release travel from the "surging melodicism of 'Sister' and 'Kiss Me' to the churning intensity of 'Pink Smoke' and 'Collidiscope.'" Quite simply, the group is structured off of catchy, but simple, rhythms with an occasionally strong back beat. Elkins states his observations about those who hear the group as a "love-or-hate thing with a lot of people, and that makes me think that we must be doing something right."

The album was recorded at the famed Smart Studios, in Wisconsin, with the help of Mr. Colson, who has worked with the likes of Smashing Pumpkins, L7 and Paw.

The four member group is lead by Greg Elkins who wrote a majority of the songs, sings and plays guitar. Ken Bowers on guitar, Greg Eades on bass and new drummer, Brain Quaust, round out the rest of the band.

Elkins states that "we don't thrive on obscurity, and we've tried to steer away from that whole indie-rock thing of acting like you don't care. It's real easy to hide behind that veneer, and it can sound cool, but it can also be a mask to hide your real feelings."

Vanilla Trainwreck's latest release, <I>Mordecai<P>, is, on the whole, an interesting release. What the group lacks in flair is mostly made up in the fairly original style of the music.

On the whole, <I>Mordecai<P> is a definite step in the right direction for Vanilla Trainwreck.

*******************************************************

UH PREPARES FOR $8-16 MILLION LOSS

In this year's legislative funding biennium, UH stands to lose at least $8 million in legislative funding, said Mary Rubright, the executive director of planning and budget.

However, the university actually may face at least a $16 million in funding losses when the "hold harmless" phase ends. The "hold harmless" clause protected the university from receiving full budget cuts.

During the last legislative biennium, UH was threatened with losing $16 million in state dollars, but the legislature enacted a "hold harmless" clause that pared the cut down to $8.5 million after some wrangling by Houston state representatives.

"We have started working out a way to deal with that if we are cut in 1996-97 (biennium). We are anticipating that the hold harmless is probably going away," said Rubright.

UH President James H. Pickering said UH is attempting to deal with this scenario by using the Generated Allocated Budgeted Model.

"We have taken one time only money and we have put out $5 million to provide a cushion. This is the money to prime the pump," said Pickering.

Out of the $5 million, $3 million came from one-time only cuts and $2 million from the 120 administrative positions cut in reshaping, said Pickering.

Within the departments, the colleges are rewarded with these funds if they keep enrollments at a certain level, but they are penalized if they go below a certain level, he said.

"It encourages colleges to maximize enrollments. It gives every college a real chance to know the name of the game," Pickering said."That's how we have positioned the colleges to approach the next two years."

Gov. Ann Richards has ordered all state institutions to only request current funding levels in their Legislative Appropriation Requests, said Rubright.

The final deadline for the LAR is July 22. Rubright said the university can only request, per the governor's orders, such non-formula funded items as scholarships, public education grants, materials research and small business development.

"We have a bottom line that we cannot go above. All state agencies can only ask for level funding," said Rubright.

During this year's legislative biennium, numbers for formula-funded items will be determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the Senate Legislative Funding Board.

"These are complex formulas that use a number of factors to appropriate funds to higher education. The whole purpose in having formulas was to take politics out of it. Formulas put everybody on a level playing field," Rubright said.

Some UH administrators have complained that these formulas are geared toward four-year traditional universities and do not take into account UH's unique role as an institution geared for older part-time students.

This year's formula funding base period runs from enrollments in the summer of 1994 to spring of 1995. UH officials project enrollments at 31,800, a decrease from the 33,067 enrollments of the last base period.

Rubright said UH will take a loss in funding because of the declining enrollments.

Formulas are not based on the number of students, but rather on the number of credit hours taken.

"It's a mistake to depend on the head count. One of the real trials of an urban university is that we have so many part-time students (for whom) we have to provide services," said Pickering.

Rubright said even if the head count decreases, but students take more credit hours, the university should not lose formula funding money.

"The formulas give us bottom line amounts. The institutions have the freedom to put the money where they want," she said.

Rubright said the main problem with formula-funding is that the legislature never fully funds the universities at the levels the formulas dictate.

In the last legislative biennium, the faculty salary formula funding was only funded in the eighth percentile and the physical plant in the 60th percentile, she said.

For the upcoming biennium, Rubright said the administration does not know yet what percentage of the formulas the university will fund.

Even if legislative funding does decrease, Pickering said salary cuts and rollbacks would only be used as a last resort to "protect the university from financial disaster."

UH PROFESSOR RECIEVES PRESIDENTIAL APPOINTMENT

by Megan McVeigh

UH Hispanic and classical languages Professor Nicolas Kanellos has been appointed by President Bill Clinton to serve on the National Council on the Humanities.

Kanellos, founding director of Arte Público Press, will serve a six-year term on the council, which establishes a national policy for the humanities, and advises the National Endowment for the Humanities.

The list of nominees includes nine other professors and administrators from universities, including the University of Michigan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of California at San Diego, the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Chicago, Columbia University and Harvard University.

The NEH provides grants and fellowships to individuals and institutions for projects in the humanities. In 1993, it awarded more than $160 million in grant money.

Although Kanellos was nominated for the position in December, he had to wait for the U.S. Senate to approve the nomination. He said he received word of his approval in early July.

Part of the approval process involved a screening by the FBI. The intelligence agency conducted an in-depth investigation into Kanello's past.

Kanellos said his nomination stemmed from his work in the humanities. He has written books and articles in the field and served on the state humanities committee for six years. He penned a book titled, <I>The History of Hispanic Theatre in the United States up to World War II<P>.

"I think there are a lot of people that could do the job instead of me," Kanellos said, modestly.

However, he will offer a state-supported university and Southwest regional perspective to the 27-member council, he said.

"A lot of these positions tend to be filled by (representatives of) Ivy League schools and private colleges," he said.

Kanellos also said he will keep in mind the perspectives of the middle and lower class when advising the NEH. He said, "I'm very interested in seeing that all different cultures of the United States are represented."

The appointment of a UH faculty member to a national council will bring a measure of prestige to the university, Kanellos said. He has received many congratulatory messages from the administration and faculty.

Kanellos said his appointment will allow the Latin American sector of the humanities to have a presence in the United States. He said this has been something he has worked towards throughout much of his life.

After receiving his Ph.D. in Hispanic literature from the University of Texas in 1974, Kanellos became a professor at Indiana University-Northwest.

His publishing company, Arte Publico Press, was created in 1980 after Kanellos was recruited by UH.

The press was conceived to "provide a vehicle for Hispanic authors of the United States to publish their works, and to get them exposed to the mainstream," Kanellos said.

Before his company began publishing Latin American works, much of the obscure literature was not available in the United States, he said.

In 1992, Kanellos launched the "Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary Heritage Project." The project is an attempt to recover and publish lost Latin American writings. The works will also be indexed on CD-ROM, Kanellos said.

Experience in cultural heritage projects is what Kanellos said he can bring to the council. He said he hopes to give a feeling for possible new definitions of American culture. New definitions that would begin with Native American culture in the U.S., and would "include lives and cultures that have not been documented in the past," he said.

PICKERING, OTHER PUT COMMUNITY PROGRAMS ON CAMPUS AGENDA]

UH President James Pickering and 11 other UH representatives visited 14 African American churches, June 26, in an attempt to build stronger ties with minority communities.

"We want to go out and tell the UH story. We want to go out into the churches," said Pickering.

Pickering also plans to visit Latino and Asian churches in an effort to facilitate bridge-building between UH and the surrounding urban communities.

Geri Konigsberg, director of media relations, said the administration set up tables with admissions office staffers to answer questions asked by prospective students representing the groups.

Recently, the Houston Area Urban League gave UH the Quentin Mease Award for improving the "plight" of children in urban areas. UH worked closely with the Third Ward Redevelopment Council to help revitalize and stimulate economic base-building in the area.

The administration is striving to increase minority enrollment and retention, said Pickering.

"Recruitment has a number of facets. How do you attract students? You increase the number of contacts between recruiters and students," said Pickering.

In an effort to attract more minority students to UH, Pickering has also instituted a Presidential Minority Scholarship for transfer students.

Pickering and his executive cabinet have also instituted a two-year pilot program titled "The Urban Experience," which is directed at the African American and Hispanic communities to confront the problems and discuss issues of concern to both communities.

"My own particular vision is to have cooperative experiences that contribute to student's education," said Pickering. "We come closer than any other university to mirroring the diversity of the population. We obviously need to go further," said Pickering.

"We are about building a community, to make people feel that they own the community. We want people to know that the university cares about them," said Pickering.

Pickering has allocated $100,000 each for the African American and Hispanic branches of the program.

Laura G. Murillo, director of the Hispanic half of the program, said the program will provide scholarships, paid internships, private tutors and workshops.

The program will commence in the fall semester with 20 African American and 20 Hispanic students. Morris Graves, former associate director of the UH African American Studies program, will direct the African American half of the program.

"We thought that taking a group of students from start to finish would help keep students in school. Students can get lost in the shuffle," said Murillo.

The pilot programs emphasize close contact between parents, students and the university, said Murillo. Murillo and Graves have tailored each of their respective programs to fit the specific needs of their targeted communities.

"We are very exited. We have a lot of support from people within the community. We are not reinventing the wheel. We are also taking advantage of the services already offered," she said.

Students must take 12 hours and maintain a 2.0 grade point average to remain eligible for participation in the program.

Murillo was also involved with a past program called the Hispanic Family College Project that focused on 100 eighth grade students. Out of 100 students, 88 graduated from high school and 70 attend UH.

"The Hispanic Family College Project enabled us to take a new look at the urban experience and realize that programs like these do work," she said.

Murillo said the interview session has transpired and a committee is in the process of making the final selections from the pool of initial applicants.

Sharon Daly, the interim assistant director of affirmative action, said many colleges and departments are involved in different activities aimed at increasing retention rates among minority students.

"I have a profound sense that we are getting there. You hope that every summer, you can say you are better off than you were last summer," said Pickering.

FIERY IMAGES OF WAR GRACE BLAFFER GALLERY

A mixed media exhibit by New York artist Susan Crile, now on display at the University of Houston's Blaffer Gallery, depicts with vivid reality the destruction and environmental catastrophe caused by the defeated Iraqi army as they retreated from Kuwait during the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War.

Crile's exhibit, <I>The Fires of War<P>, presents powerful images that are far more realistic than any photograph or television news footage could ever capture. Her paintings suggest a visit to the gates of Hell. She is able to accurately define the intensity and size of the fires burning from hundreds of oil wells, the smoke that completely filled the air turning day into night and the intense heat (2000-3000 degrees) which could melt steel buildings, tools and equipment.

Crile, a professor of art at Hunter College-City University of New York since 1983, has a reputation as a painter of complex abstractions, characterized by radiant color and intricate interweavings of planes and space. Her earlier work involved more pastoral abstract paintings. The paintings in this exhibit utilize the radiant colors, but deal in stark reality.

Crile initially began this project after she sensed public indifference to this environmental tragedy. Accompanying the safety director for Bechtel International, the company hired by Kuwait Oil to organize the clean-up, Crile traveled to Kuwait in July of 1991, five months after the fires had first been set.

At that time, more than 500 wells were still burning out of control. She spent 10 days in the oil fields making sketches and taking pictures, often wearing a respirator because of the intense smoke and toxic fumes. She then returned to her New York studio to begin painting.

The exhibit, co-organized by the Saint Louis Art Museum and the Blaffer Gallery, includes a number of paintings of various sizes, the largest of which, a mural, stretches 40 feet across. This painting, <I>The Fire Next Time<P>, is comprised of five panels, each showing the landscape from a slightly different vantage point. The magnitude of the fires and the wounding and scarring of the land are portrayed with brutal, dramatic realism and vivid color.

<I>The Fires of War<P> will be on display until July 31 at the Blaffer Gallery in the Fine Arts Building. Admission is free. Hours are 10 a.m.—5 p.m. Mon.—Fri.; 1—5 p.m. Sat. and Sun.

LEGAL AID CLINIC GIVES LAW STUDENTS PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE

by Charles Felderhoff

The University of Houston Law Center, in addition to providing "book-learning," also allows its students to participate in clinics and internships in order to give them legal work experience.

The legal aid clinic offers students in the law program a chance to sharpen their legal skills while helping those less fortunate. With the help of a board certified attorney, the students offer legal help and advice to their clients.

Anyone who cannot afford an attorney can go to the legal aid clinic and receive help with basic legal problems. The program is open to UH students and the general public.

The law school also offers their students civil clinics in which to participate. Students wanting "hands-on" experience intern with existing charity organizations and public offices. Organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union and Catholic Charities regularly use UH students, as do many U.S. and state government bodies.

The UH Law Center officials select the organizations that can participate in the civil clinic program. The organizations must promise to use the students as young lawyers not as observers or clerks. This allows the students a chance to experience the responsibility of representing a client in an important matter.

The law program also encourages judicial internships. Students would assist a sitting judge with some of the legal work involved in a case. As with the clinics, the students are used as young lawyers and not clerks. The internships allow the students to experience how the legal system works from the judge's perspective.

The clinics in the law school are broken down into categories of specialization. A student may select a clinic in criminal, civil, health or environmental law, depending on their main area of interest or study.

All law students are able to participate in the clinics as long as they have met the prerequisites. A student can go on to advanced courses and be reassigned to the same clinic. The student would not only be assisting a young lawyer, but would also act as a supervisor to the new students in the clinic.

Information about the legal clinics can be obtained by contacting the University of Houston Law Center.

LEGAL SYSTEM RACES TO CATCH UP WITH THE FUTURE

by Charles Felderhoff

The information superhighway is speeding through our society and, along with the benefits of the new technologies, has raised legal questions that some say the legal system is not prepared to answer.

The Intellectual Property Law Institute at the UH Law Center has risen to meet the needs of this expanding legal area.

The UH Law Center is the only public law school in the nation to offer a Masters of Laws in intellectual property. The program is offered to those who completed their law degree, much like the masters degree one seeks after they have finished an undergraduate degree program.

Intellectual property law is concerned with "products of the mind." The law deals with these products in three categories: patent law, trademark law and copyright law.

Patent law provides a limited monopoly for new and inventive products, processes and designs. Trademark law prohibits product imitators from passing off their goods or services as the product of someone else. Copyright law protects "original works of authorship."

Another new category of law has been added by means of state-created law and is called "unfair competition." Unfair competition law deals with problems such as trade secrets.

The university offers seminars and lectures in the intellectual property curriculum that deal with the ever expanding nature of technology and information. The curriculum explores the uses of the technological tools and identifies the applicable statutes, laws and rights of the individuals and businesses involved in the growing technologies.

The need for and reward of intellectual property studies becomes obvious when considering the court's response to these problems. Patent, trademark and unfair competition have been given their own U.S. Appeals Court to deal with the broad questions raised in the cases.

The areas of law in this field are central to the U.S. economy. The copyright industry alone employs 5.4 million people and generates $303 billion annually, roughly 5.8 percent of the GNP. Technology based industries are growing twice as fast as the economy as a whole.

THE TWO FASTEST MEN IN THE WORLD

Ex-coogs Burrell, Lewis talk about new and old world records

Leroy Burrell silenced many critics with his world-record performance in the 100-meter dash at Lausanne, Switzerland last Wednesday.

Now, with the Goodwill Games July 24-30 at St. Petersburg, Russia, approaching, the question of whether the Santa Monica Track Club has another world record left in it still lingers.

Burrell's 9.85 broke his former UH teammate Carl Lewis' record of 9.86 set August 25, 1991. The two have traded the record three times since Lewis first broke Calvin Smith's record in 1988.

Both the old and new record-holders stopped by Robertson Stadium Monday for a brief "homecoming" of sorts.

After workouts, both ex-Cougar track legends found time to chat a little.

"There's no doubt in my mind it'll be broken again," Burrell said when grilled about his new record's chances of falling. "But I really don't know (where or when). That's more a function of the conditions of the track and the weather.

"I know it can be broken, and probably will be broken this year."

Monday, Burrell seemed confident that he and Lewis would continue their trend.

"I've been a part of 10 world records now," Burrell said. "Whether it (breaking the record) will be done at St. Petersburg, Zurich, or the World Championships next year, I don't know.

"I know I have the talent and the coaching to do it."

Lewis and Burrell agreed the competition between himself and Burrell has never become too intense.

"Carl and I are not competitive with each other, but within ourselves," Burrell said. "A lot of athletes come out and lose and get angry at their opponents. Carl and I don't, and that's the attitude that separates us from the others."

"We've run some great races, in 1991 and '92, last year as well," Lewis said. "We root for each other on and off the track."

One of the races Lewis was referring to was the 100-meter race at the World Championships in Tokyo in August of 1991. Both Burrell and Lewis broke the world record at the time, Burrell's 9.90.

However, Lewis' 9.86 bested Burrell's 9.88, giving him the record that lasted until last week.

"When you break the world record, it's in your mind, it's a figure,"Burrell said. "If you win a medal, you can take it home with you."

Breaking the world record, however, can mean worldwide attention.

"When I got back to my hotel room (in Lausanne), I got calls from all over the world," Burrell said. "It shows you how well-connected the world is."

Lewis, breaker of two world-records, seemed nonplussed by all the attention.

"I don't think it's that different," Lewis said of the media coverage. "This time, it (the record being broken) was overseas, and a lot of people didn't have access."

Until recently, he and Lewis' media support had begun to wane. Lewis has climbed past the 30-year age mark, and Burrell finished a disappointing fifth in the 100-meter event at the 1992 Olympics.

"After last year, people were writing us off, and we decided we were not going to let that happen again," Burrell said.

"I guess I had somewhat of an off year (in 1993), but I won more matches than I lost, I was number three in the world, and I beat the world champion twice," he added.

UH SEES RED OVER EMPTY DOME SEATS

by Bill Lillard

The UH athletic department hopes the entire city will be seeing red when the 1994 football season kicks off Sept. 1.

School officials detailed the second phase of their "See Red" ticket drive at a meeting of UH supporters Thursday at the University Hilton Hotel.

In response to the campaign that began in mid-April, more than 7,000 season tickets have been sold with close to 3,000 applications still to be processed, campaign chairman Glenn Lillie said.

The 1993 season ticket total was just less than 6,500.

Lillie thinks that a total of 14,000 is reachable, but athletic director Bill Carr is a bit more guarded in his speculation.

"I'm not good at predicting numbers," Carr said. "I just want to sell as many as possible. We are not where we want to be, but we're moving in the right direction."

During the first two months of the campaign, past and current ticket holders were the target. The next phase will be aimed at the entire city. Radio, television and billboards will carry the "See Red" message across the city.

The Cougar Celebrity Phone Bank, which utilized UH celebrities like school president James Pickering, former basketball coach Guy V. Lewis, former UH and NBA basketball player Otis Birdsong and Olympic track star Carl Lewis, took place Tuesday.

The athletics program will play an important role in reaching this broader group. The campaign will afford the university an opportunity to showcase what it has to offer and how much fun it can be to attend games and be part of UH athletics, Pickering said.

UH has yet to find new conference affiliation since the break-up of the Southwest Conference this past season. Low attendance at its major sports events is considered to be the main reason for the lack of interest from other conferences.

This ticket drive is the determining factor in helping the school find a strong conference home, Carr said.

"Everyone I talk to in conference discussions asks me how we are doing with our fans," he said.

Carr sees the average attendance figures of 30,000 in football and 6,000 in basketball as the goals for attaining top NCAA status in the future.

1993 attendance figures were around 17,000 for football and 2,500 for basketball.

With the amount of time remaining until the Sept. 1 season opener against Kansas, Carr feels that there could be a significant increase in football ticket sales as a result of this new marketing effort.

"I am encouraged by where we are," Carr said. "We are off to a great start and must finish strong."

RETIRING LOSES MEANING

I want to say a couple of things about this activity in professional sports called "retirement."

I think the term is dangerously close to losing its meaning.

Ryne Sandberg recently chucked away $15 million and a sure berth in the Hall of Fame because he wasn't pleased with his effort over the first couple of months of the season.

Now, the money was as big a factor in his retirement as anything, I know.

Who would want to continue playing at a subpar level, if that was indeed the only level Sandberg could manage, with America's cable audience knowing exactly how much he makes right down to the last penny?

Yes, of course he was overpaid. There are millions of people in millions of jobs who are overpaid.

But Sandberg could have been overpaid by $15 million more, which would have been a public relations disaster not only for Sandberg, not only for the Cubs, but for baseball in general.

Instead, he walked away.

There are problems in baseball right now, serious money problems. Everybody looks at ballplayers and sees dollar signs, not RBIs, performance incentives, not stolen bases, signing bonuses, not batting averages.

Every time some free-agent outfielder or pitcher doing just what you or I would be doing if we were in his shoes has a bad year, fans aren't as interested in his impact on the team's pennant chances as they used to be.

Hell no, they want to know how much he makes, how much he is being <I>overpaid<P>.

Sandberg knew this, and he avoided the inevitable flak in the only way possible. For that, he is being ripped by people like Rod Carew, who claim he is walking out on his team the first time he has a bad year.

If you ask me, I'd have rather seen Sandberg beat out Craig Biggio than some guy who didn't really play second full-time <I>last<P> year, when he was in the World Series and got more media attention than he deserved.

Switching sports for a moment, we encounter athletes like Phoenix Suns' guard Kevin Johnson, who has announced he will retire in not one, not two, but three years from now.

It's okay if you haven't started marking your calendar off yet. I must confess, I haven't either. By the time Johnson's three years are up, Charles Barkley may actually be ready to retire himself.

Three years? How does anybody know what his life will be like, what the world will be like, in three years?

I'll lay money on the fact that Johnson doesn't retire in three years, but will threaten to if he doesn't get the contract extension he wants.

He wouldn't be the first. Moving back to baseball, I remember when the Astros tried to trade their catcher of the 80s, Alan Ashby, to the Pirates.

Ashby didn't want to have to move out to Pittsburgh that late in his career, so he threatened to retire unless he was paid a lot of money in his new contract.

He wound up retiring. Effective strategy, huh?

Evander Holyfield. There's another one.

I think I need to retire from all this sportswriting. I have a heart condition, and I just don't think it's worth the risk.

In fact, I had a heart-attack during my last column.

Wait a minute, I've changed my mind, I think I want to start writing again. Where's the faith healer?

EX-UH COOGS SIGN AUTOGRAPHS

Four former University of Houston basketball players will be on hand to sign autographs at two Oshman's SuperSports USA stores July 16 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Otis Birdsong and Louis Dunbar will be at the Oshman's at the Centre at Baybrook, located at 19801 Gulf Freeway.

Guy V. Lewis and Michael Young will be in west Houston at the Oshman's at the corner of Gessner and Interstate-10.

Dunbar and Birdsong played together in the early '70s. Dunbar was named All-American in 1974. Birdsong was the Southwest Conference Player-of-the-Decade for the 1970s. He was drafted by the Kansas City Kings in 1978.

Young was a member of the Phi Slama Jama and is the only Cougar to start on all the UH Final Four teams in the '80s. His teammates included Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler.

Lewis played for the Cougars in 1946 and 1947, but was best known for coaching the Cougars to five Final Fours and 14 NCAA Tournaments.

His 1967-'68 team, led by Elvin Hayes, faced UCLA Jan. 20, 1968 in the Game of the Century, what many call the greatest college game ever played.

All four will be in the UH Reunion of Champions basketball game July 23 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets will be available at Oshman's and the UH Athletics Ticket Office.

LEWIS MAKES THE CALLS

If you got a call from a famous athlete last night you were part of the new "See Red" marketing campaign designed to increase UH football season ticket sales.

Track star Carl Lewis, who just lost the world record in the 100-meters to his teammate Leroy Burrell, called past season-ticket holders who had not renewed for the 1994 season, prominent Houstonians, and UH alumni.

Burrell, scheduled to be at the event with Lewis, was a no-show.

Lewis was joined by other celebrities such as UH President James Pickering, former UH coaches Guy V. Lewis and Bill Yeoman, the Houston Oilers' Glenn Montgomery and ex-UH basketball star Otis Birdsong.

The Celebrity Phone Bank is part of the "See Red" marketing campaign.

The new campaign is designed to put more fans in the seats. With Houston looking for a conference, the emphasis is on the lagging attendence in the football and men's basketball programs.

MISSILES LIGHT CROWD'S FIRE AT LAST PERFORMANCE

by Jo Anne Stephens

Ten years ago a new band, The Missiles, hit the Houston music scene. Last weekend, after a decade of 1,200-plus blowout performances, it all came to an end as this Houston-based rock band said its goodbyes.

The Missles gave a farewell performance to celebrate the group's final release, <I>The Missiles' Last Performance<P>, to a standing room only crowd at the Satellite Lounge Saturday night.

The Missiles' final show featured a nine-video retrospective and a home video of sorts documenting the band's 10-year history.

The Missiles', which includes originals Chuck Sanders, Bill Myers, Dave Randall and late addition Ken Jones, didn't leave the loyal followers disappointed via a four and a half hour non-stop show, which even included Myers' first and last five minute drum solo.

As the Missiles only broke long enough to take the occasional shot of Jagermeister, you couldn't help but wonder if in some way the band wasn't drowning their collective sorrows over their departure.

The Missiles ended its stint, because Budweiser supposedly didn't re-sign them as a sponsor. And, as members told "Made in Texas" listeners, each would like to pursue other interests.

The Missiles may not be remembered for producing the best written lyrics or having the best sound. They were more than that–like Jimmy Buffet, they sold an attitude.

An attitude which says, "lets forget our troubles, get drunk and listen to some guys play some music."

After all, The Missiles' motto was, "the more you drink, the better we sound, or rather, the more we drink the better we think we sound."

The Missiles sung nearly every song from all three albums they recorded. The highlight was when the band broke into its trademark song, "I Can't Get No Respect From the Public News." The place literally went up in smoke when fans burned and destroyed copies of <I>Public News<P>.

As The Missiles walked off the stage for the last time, all that was said by lead singer Sanders was, "there are good bands, and there are bad bands, and we were one of them."