SAUSAGE PUTS FORTH MEATY RIDDLES

by Tom Turner

Most likely everyone and their dog has heard of Primus. The group had its break-through album, <I>Sailing The Seas of Cheese<P>, which includes "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver," and the most recent release, <I>Pork Soda<P>. However, most likely only a handful of folks have ever heard of Sausage.

Sausage has just released <I>Riddles Are Abound Tonight<P> on Interscope Records. Although there are only nine tracks on the album, each of the songs combines to produce an album that will "sizzle into yer gourd griddle just fine." In other words, it's some of the finest and most original music on the market today.

Sausage is led by one of the best bass players in music today, Les Claypool. His innovative style has become a trademark for other musicians to try and follow. Todd Huth, is on guitar and Jay Lane, on drums, round out the trio. Actually, this was the original lineup for Primus, until Claypool hooked up with "percussion octopus" Tim Alexander and Larry LaLonde.

Hugh shared in the co-writing credits with the present members of Primus on the first two releases, <I>Suck On This<P> and <I>Frizzle Fry<P>. This is the first reunion of the original lineup for the trio in the 90s.

<I>Riddles Are Abound Tonight<P> is flooded with original grooves and catchy riffs from start to finish. Tracks such as "Prelude To Fear," "Here's To The Man," "Toyz 1988" and "Recreating" are only a few of the impressive tracks on this release. Claypool said that many of the tracks on this album are old Primus songs that no one has heard.

The group has plans to make a summer journey to various "gin joints and other places where leeches attach themselves to the club wall when the building gets sweaty." If you have even the slightest like for Primus, or just original, rockin' music, check out Sausage.

<I>Riddles Are Abound Tonight<P> will surely not let many down.

Sausage opens for Helmet and the Rollins Band at the International Ballroom Saturday.

*******************************************************

MINORITY ENROLLMENT IMPROVES

Minority enrollment has increased at UH by a 68 percent margin since 1988, but President James Pickering said UH still needs to go further to bring about complete diversification.

"We obviously need to go further. We are looking to meet the needs of the city," said Pickering. He said he wants to increase minority enrollment and graduation rates so UH can continue to contribute leaders to Houston.

Since the 1988-89 school year, African American enrollment increased from 2,188 to 2,692, a 23 percent increase; Hispanic enrollment increased from 2,363 to 3,803, a 60 percent increase; and Native American enrollment increased from 114 to 178, a 56 percent increase.

During that same time period, UH saw white enrollment decrease from 21,289 to 19,351–a nine percent decline.

The UH System has seen minority enrollment at UH, UH-Downtown, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria increase from 11,928 to 16,522, which represents a 38 percent increase over a six-year period. At the same time, other senior Texas public universities saw a 29 percent increase from 32,350 in 1988 to 105,841 in 1993.

The population breakdown for UH's student body in 1993-1994 was eight percent African American, 12 percent Asian-American, 11.8 percent Hispanic, less than one percent Native American and 60 percent white.

"Although the actual numbers are not as large as we want, over the five-year period, we have seen an increase in all of the traditionally under-represented ethnic groups," said B. Dell Felder, the senior vice chancellor of the UH System. "The largest increase has been in Hispanic representation, followed by Asians."

Felder said the modest growth in African American enrollment may be accounted for because Texas Southern University and Prairie View A&M University offer an "attractive alternative" for Houston area residents.

Compared to the Houston area as a whole, UH's population breakdown lags behind the breakdowns citywide. In the Houston area, African Americans represent 18 percent, Hispanics 23 percent, whites account for 54 percent of the population and other ethnic groups like Asian Americans and Native Americans account for four percent.

In proportion to their numbers citywide, Asian Americans are far ahead in enrollment at UH.

As for graduation rates, African Americans represent 5.6 percent, Hispanics 8.4 percent, Asian Americans 10.8 percent, and whites 67.4 percent for the 1992-1993 school year.

Overall, graduation rates for minorities were up 109 percent in 1992-93 as compared to 1988-1989. The figures reflect significant strides in minority enrollment and graduation rates.

Pickering said lack of finances remains the single most significant problem for many minorities who sometimes have to leave school to help their families, or can only come on a part-time basis while working a full-time job.

"We need to find ways to help people buy into the future. We are all part of building this place," said Pickering. He also said increasing minority enrollment and graduation rates will go a long way toward revitalizing the community.

Laura G. Murillo, director of the Hispanic branch of the pilot program called The Urban Experience, said, "The main reason students are not able to stay in school is because they cannot financially provide."

As part of Pickering's move to increase minority enrollment, UH administrators, faculty and students visited area African American churches to tell UH's "story." Plans are also in the works to sponsor similar awareness-spreading ventures in the predominantly Hispanic and Asian American churches.

Pickering said with the institution of more scholarship programs, he wants to continue to build ties between the communities and UH.

Even with all of the efforts to strengthen ties, Pickering said the UH community has to make sure no incidents that make the ties attenuate transpire.

"You are always one incident away from having an environment that is less than optimal," said Pickering.

On the faculty side, African Americans account for 70 faculty members or 3.3 percent; Hispanics account for 71 faculty members or 3.8 percent; Asian Americans account for 113 faculty members or 6.1 percent; and whites account for 1,478 faculty members or 77.5 percent.

Geri Konigsberg, director of media relations, attributes the relatively low percentages of minority faculty members to the fact that those hired are chosen from a small pool of applicants; Therefore, the demographics are not proportionate to the student or at-large populations.

CHILDREN OF STONEWALL REVIVING THE INDOMITABLE SPIRIT OF '69

by shane patrick boyle

NEW YORK, June 23–69 holds a special significance for me.

It's the year I was born. What did you think I was referring to?

It was also the year of the moon landing, Woodstock and an event that received almost no media coverage when it happened–the Stonewall Riots.

In the predawn hours of Friday June 27, 1969, police from lower Manhattan's 6th precinct raided the Stonewall Inn–a gay bar frequented by drag queens, minors, the poor and people of color–at 53 Christopher Street in Greenwich Village.

"Alcohol inspection" was the official purpose of the raid, but as was the custom of such raids on gay bars, the cops harassed and physically attacked the patrons. On any ordinary night, the customers would slip away after such attacks (if they weren't arrested) with no struggle.

But this night was different. It was a hot summer night, the air conditioner in the run-down building was dead (and so was Judy Garland, whose body was on view in New York City), nobody was dancing, frustration over years of being treated as second class citizens was reaching a boiling point, and by the time police arrived, tempers were already flaring hotter than the summer air.

The queens were mad as hell, and they weren't going to take it anymore. Anger exploded like firecrackers and patrons fought back against the cops, hurling coins, plastic beer cups, high heel shoes and anything else they could make use of.

When the customers spilled into the streets, homeless people in the nearby park, lesbians and other bystanders joined the fun.

The cops retreated back into the Stonewall, where they were trapped when rioters barricaded the door with an uprooted parking meter.

For three days, the riots continued. This struggle is considered by scholars and activists to be, not the birth of, but a defining moment in the gay/lesbian/transgender liberation movement–the moment when queers (Yes, some of us use that term proudly) declared it was time to move, "Out of the bars and into the streets!"

While media images of the moon landing and Woodstock burn in the memories of even those too young to remember, most of the world didn't begin to learn about Stonewall until it was commemorated during the first gay pride parade in New York.

Yet, even today, most of the non-gay world and much of the gay world is hearing of Stonewall for the first time in the context of New York's Stonewall 25 celebration.

But as people from all over the world receive massive coverage, eclipsing all the attention Stonewall has received in previous years, and millions of people (including this Daily Cougar writer with a one-way bus ticket), pour into New York, the significance of Stonewall drowns in an ocean of hype.

What are the people sitting at home, watching television and reading newspapers (including gay and lesbian newspapers) learning about Stonewall?

Something about a gay Olympics, a parade or march going to the United Nations Building (Or are there two marches?), the rebuilding of Stonewall for the occasion (actually a gentrified yuppie hell hole with only inverted resemblance to the dive it was in 1969), a party in Central Park, an AIDS fundraiser on an aircraft carrier and lots of T-shirts and other products to show off gay pride and buying power. In short: a commercial.

Last night, however, I went to a meeting at Washington Square Methodist Church where I met some people who are working to drive home the point (to the police, the mayor of New York, homophobes, PC liberal sympathizers, bar hoppers and the so-called leaders of the so-called gay community) that "Stonewall <I>was<P>a riot!"

The forum, titled "Queer liberation: from Stonewall to sell out," was hosted by Queers against U.S. Militarism (an organization objecting to the AIDS fundraiser on the U.S.S. Intrepid, a battleship that was stationed off the coast of Vietnam one year before the Stonewall Riot that is now a museum housing–among other things–a tribute to the Persian Gulf War, and to the pro-military emphasis of last year's March on Washington) and Stonewall Now (a coalition of activists and other outcasts of the increasingly conservative gay community).

A church seemed an unusual place for such a meeting, but Jeremiah Newton, who spoke on his firsthand memories of the Stonewall Riot said this church was one of very few in New York to speak out against the Vietnam War and the only place he found support when he dodged the draft.

Other speakers included: Denise of Transgender Menace, who spoke on the gay community's attempt to sweep transgenders under the carpet; Bo Brown (formerly known as Rita), a former bank robber and "terrorist" who now organizes support for prisoners such as Norma Jean Crowley, a Native American lesbian in prison for defending herself against a drunken off-duty police officer; a lesbian who once served in the military; and others who challenged militarism, capitalism, assimilation, racism, sexism, ageism, patriarchy, the police state and complacency about government inaction on AIDS.

I was glad to hook up with the organizers of this event, partially because some of them found places for me to stay, but primarily because I came to New York to get involved with people who rejected the palatable, pre-packaged Stonewall product and instead represented the ideas embodied in the true story of Stonewall almost by accident, I found them.

But the fun's only beginning. While the major official event is a march to the U.N. Building Sunday, I've also found out about some less official events scheduled for this weekend including a drag march, The International Dyke March, a call for action against gay bashers, and an alternative march on Sunday, coinciding with the official march, but taking a more visible route from Sheridan Square, across from the Stonewall Inn, to Central Park by way of 5th Avenue.

Some of these events are more sanctioned than others. Organizers of the radical march on Sunday, for example, have found themselves stonewalled in their attempt to gain a permit for the 5th Avenue route. But the general understanding is that we will take 5th Avenue with or without a permit.

After all, the Stonewall rioters didn't have a permit.

TSU SUED FOR BANNING FARRAKHAN

by Tiffany Vaughner

A local legal advocacy group has asked that Texas Southern University President Joann Horton and Board of Regents Chair Rufus Cormier be incarcerated.

The African-American Legal Defense Group has filed suit against Horton, Cormier and TSU for religious discrimination against the Nation of Islam and Minister Louis Farrakhan.

The suit came about as a result of the university's refusal to allow Farrakhan to deliver an April 11 for-men-only speech on university grounds. Due to criticism and threats of legal action by the Texas Faculty Association, the speech was later moved to Pleasant Grove Baptist Church.

United States Marine Corps Sgt. (Ret.) Jim Thompson of the AALDG said Horton and Cormier were subpoenaed and appeared in court in April. He said the two failed to appear at a second court hearing June 22. Thompson said he is now attempting to set a date for a contempt of court hearing.

Thompson also is asking the state to determine whether Texas Atty. Gen. Dan Morales has violated the Texas Constitution by concurrently representing Horton and TSU while holding office as a state official.

Thompson called TSU's position on not letting Farrakhan speak a "facade," and said it was symptomatic of the "national onslaught" against the Nation of Islam.

Cormier said he knew about the lawsuit filed by the AALDG, but said he had no knowledge of the possible contempt of court hearing. He said he and Horton did not show up for the second hearing because they never received a notice. He said he talked with TSU's lawyers, and they also received no notification that a second hearing would transpire.

He said the university's decision to not permit Farrakhan to speak should not be construed as part of any conspiracy against the Nation of Islam.

"Allowing Farrakan to speak would have been against the United States and the Texas Constitution. We did not discriminate against the Nation of Islam," Cormier said.

Horton was unavailable for comment.

Minister Robert Muhammad of Mosque 45 said even though he did not know the particulars of the case, the recent turn of events had left him quite disheartened.

"It is a shame that a university which was established to help black people and (the African-American Legal Defense Group) which is supposed to do the same, would want to settle this in the white man's court," Muhammad said.

In the April 13 issue of The Final Call, Farrakhan expressed his sentiments about university protest against his speaking on campus.

"Why should the administration fear any person who comes to this campus with strange ideas or views? If we are teaching the students correctly, they can discriminate (for themselves). It seems as though the school is another extension of the plantation, where the school master, like the slave master, knows what is best for (his) slaves. If slavery is truly ended, and this is truly an institution of higher learning, then you should welcome different ideas," Farrakhan said.

Under Title IX of the U. S. Education Amendment, it is illegal for a federally-funded university to discriminate on the basis of gender in any campus programs or activities.

BRAZIL FIRST 4-TIME WORLD CUP WINNER

by Chad V. GoGan

World Cup USA '94 came to a close Sunday in historic fashion. More than 90,000 fans packed the Rose Bowl and an estimated 2 billion watched on television as Italy and Brazil played for the title of World Cup champion.

Both countries entered the match having previously won three times. In the end, this one went to Brazil 0(3)-0(2). They played for 120 minutes. This final was also historic in that it was the first to end in a penalty-kick shootout.

Throughout the tournament, each team had depended on its scoring machine to pull them through. For Brazil, that machine was Romario, and for Italy, Roberto Baggio.

With Italy down three penalty kicks to two, Baggio stepped up as Italy's last chance to tie. He missed, and Brazil became the first ever four-time World Cup champion.

Brazil used the speed and power of Romario and Bebeto to pound the Italian middle. Italy responded by packing players in the middle and using its speed on counter attacks.

Both Romario and Baggio had chances to score in the final game. Romario was unable to lose the multiple defenders Italy put on him and Baggio was unable to overcome a hamstring injury that almost kept him out of the championship.

In all of Brazil's matches, Romario had either scored the first goal or assisted on it. His was the shot in the shoot-out that scored the first goal for Brazil and tied the penalty kicks at one apiece.

Against Nigeria, Baggio scored a goal in the first overtime to give Italy the win. He also scored game-winners against Spain and Bulgaria.

The game that decided the third-place winner was played Saturday in the Rose Bowl. It was a game that meant more in the financial column that in the final standings column.

Bulgaria finally played the way critics thought they would from the beginning, dismally. Sweden rolled to an easy 4-0 victory.

Sweden scored all four of their goals in the first 40 minutes. Bulgaria's best chance was stopped when Hristo Stoitchkov failed to beat the Swedish goalie.

Sweden found goals harder to come by in the semifinal match played Wednesday in Pasadena, Calif. Brazil defeated Sweden 1-0.

The 84,569 spectators watched Brazil manhandle the Swedes. Brazil ended with 26 shots on goal, compared to three for Sweden. It must be mentioned that Sweden played a man down from the 63rd minute on.

In the 81st minute, Romario, the shortest man on the field, maneuvered into position to score on a high header. It was Romario's fifth World Cup goal.

In the other semifinal game Wednesday, Italy defeated Bulgaria 2-1.

Baggio dominated the first half, scoring in the 21st minute and again in the 26th minute. Hristo Stoitchkov, Bulgaria's prolific scorer, attempted to answer Baggio's challenge, scoring in the 44th minute on a penalty kick to close Italy's lead to one.

Bulgaria could not outplay Baggio, but they could out-muscle him. In the 71st minute, Bulgaria's Peter Houbtchev collided with Baggio, knocking out one of Baggio's teeth and straining his right hamstring. Baggio was forced to leave the game.

WHAT A GREAT GUY

Lewis' positive attitude a model for Cougar fans, "See Red" supporters

When people in the city of Houston think about UH basketball, Guy Lewis is one of the first names that comes to mind.

Lewis, who retired from coaching eight years ago, was on hand at the Oshman's Superstore at Gessner and Interstate-10 to sign autographs.

Michael Young was supposed to join Lewis, but was a no-show. Otis Birdsong and Louis Dunbar were also signing autographs Saturday at the Oshman's Superstore at 19801 Gulf Freeway in the Clear Lake area.

The autograph sessions were used to promote the Reunion of Champions, an exhibition game of Cougar alumni.

The game will be held at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, July 23 at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Lewis headed the Cougar basketball program for 30 years. During that time he led them to 14 NCAA Tournament appearances and took them to the Final Four five times. Twice his teams played in the NCAA championship game.

Now Lewis is helping the UH athletic department with its new "See Red" campaign.

"We've had several meetings to get different groups pumped up to try and get out and contact people and sell tickets, promote it," he said. "Now they have got a promotion going with radio, billboards and that type thing."

While Lewis has not seen the actual numbers, he said that he believes the new campaign is going well.

"It looks like it's going good and we've got people talking about it, which is good," he said. "I think it is a reachable goal, that is to at least have a minimum of 30,000 (people) in the stands for football and 6,000 or 7,000 for basketball."

Lewis said with both sports having excellent recruiting classes last year the quality of the play will improve, which will undoubtedly put more people in the stands.

The need to increase attendance at UH games is primarily due to the fact that the Southwest Conference will break up after the 1996 football season. UH is the only team of the SWC not to find a new place to call home, mostly due to poor attendance.

"I know nothing about the conference deal (what direction UH is headed), I don't know anybody who does know, but I feel we have a couple of years to work that out, he said. "There can be a lot of changes yet in the structure (of the major conferences).

"Houston's a great city and the University of Houston is a great university and people around the country recognize that. I sometimes find that we have better recognition outside of Texas than we do in Texas. I just feel confident that we'll end up okay."

UH has gone through major changes in the athletic department in the last two years. It has a new athletic director, Bill Carr, and new coaches in football, Kim Helton; men's basketball, Alvin Brooks; golf, Mike Dirks; and tennis, Stina Mosvold. The women's basketball team last went through a coaching change in 1990 when Jessie Kenlaw was hired.

"I'm real impressed with Bill Carr. I think he's a top notch athletic director and personally I'm very happy with coach Helton and coach Brooks. I think both of them can get the job done. We've got a lot of new coaches out there like baseball, golf and tennis," he said.

With the new leadership combined with the new athletic facility, Lewis said UH is headed in the right direction.

"I think the new complex that is being built is just outstanding," he said. "You can go all over the country and not find anything equal to that. I think that is going to be a big boost to out recruiting programs, and when you recruit well you usually have good teams. So I really believe we're in good hands."

Lewis has been associated with UH since he played basketball for them in 1946. In what has been almost 50 years of dedication to UH in one form or another, he said he has never seen a move to promote UH like this one now.

"I think it's good. I think it's past due," he said.

HOOKED ON FISH

Film tells story of lesbian life and love

When it comes to movie themes, it's probably a romantic comedy that can't be beat. And, even with the gender twist, <I>Go Fish<P> can't help but score points with it.

<I>Go Fish<P> profiles the lives and loves of a circle of friends in New York City. The women, older as well as younger, are part of the lower middle-class area's lesbian community and, in addition, are challenged by the intracommunity politics.

The protagonist is Max West, played by <I>Fish<P> co-producer and writer Guinevere Turner. Max is flighty and full of anxieties – anxieties over not finding her true love, over having to conform, over her own identity as a lesbian – but is essentially sweet-natured. Although well-liked, Max hasn't had a date in more than 10 months. Her friends and roommates' tips don't help and she gets frustrated.

At a meeting with her professor roommate at a cafe, Max meets Ely, played by V. S. Brodie. Ely's older and, by Max's standards, unattractive. Life goes on.

Fate (and a little maneuvering by friends) throws Max and Ely together. Max is at first turned off; Ely looks like a hippie, has a shelf full of decaffeinated teas and is geeky. Ely likes Max, but knows she has to do something to keep her attention: settling on a rather dramatic haircut in hopes of bagging Max.

Eventually, Max begins warming up to Ely. Then there's another problem.

Ely has a girlfriend that she sort of forgot to mention. What's worse, she calls during Max and Ely's first kiss.

Well, not exactly a girlfriend. Ely hasn't seen her partner, Kate, for a pretty long time, as Kate moved to Seattle almost three years ago. They talk sometimes and visit less. Ely's roommate, Daria, tells her that Kate's not a lover, but an excuse. Ely's torn, Max is depressed and everybody else is wondering what's taking them so long.

The 84-minute movie is the first long piece for Rose Troche, well known for her short films. The inexperience with long format shows, as parts of <I>Fish<P> are choppy and obtuse, and the camera angles are sometimes more in line with avant-grade filmmaking. For some, this has an appeal, but Troche's shoots make it occasionally confusing.

The actors aren't actors – none have ever done a feature film before, and a few have never acted at all. This is part of <I>Fish<P>'s freshness and the likableness of its characters. All are warm and thoughtful, but unabashed about their lives as lesbians.

Part of their interplay – and of what makes the film so fascinating – is what the women must go through. Given an ultimatum by her mother, one Latina leaves, rather than renouncing her status. Daria tells off other lesbians critical of her for having slept with a man. At every turn, the audience is reminded that homosexuality is made by society to be not only a personal, but a political decision.

The only part which makes <I>Fish<P>'s lesbian theme a problem is its exclusiveness. If you go in not knowing it's a girl-meets-girl film, you might get lost in all the nuances and dialogue. It's most definitely a film that won't keep everyone's attention.

<I>Go Fish<P> is fun at points, slow at others, but still a good movie for a Saturday afternoon.