SURGERY HACKS OUT A BRIGHT SHIMMER

by Tom Turner

After numerous albums and travelings, the hard rockin' music of Surgery has returned once again with its latest release on Atlantic Records, <I>Shimmer<P>. From the opening burst of power to the closing of this release, Surgery displays a mixture of so many different styles that it would make Betty Crocker's head spin.

<I>Shimmer<P> is a combination of punk, solid rock, blues and a little funk. Seem a little confusing? Well, after listening to <I>Shimmer<P>, the overall sound of the group becomes much more discernible. Quite simply, these guys rock. Surgery has a guitar sound that could rip many other bands to shreds, along with a solid rhythm section to add an equally strong punch.

The 11-track release is packed full of powerful, catchy grooves. A few of the tracks worth noting include "Bootywhack," "Off the A List," "Low Cut Blues" and "D-Nice." The group commented that it was ready to "do different things and try others. We wanted to play in a different ballpark" with this album. This idea was helped along through the producer of <I>Shimmer<P>, Garth Richardson.

Richardson has also done work with numerous other groups including L7, Rage Against The Machine and the Melvins.

Surgery's recordings began several years back, with a single that was included on <I>Dope, Guns and Fucking in the Streets<P>, which was basically an indie-band showcase-of-sorts. The "Soul Eater" single, on Circuit Records, was the next recording release for the group. In 1990, Surgery finally released its first full length album entitled <I>Nationwide<P>. The group's last release, <I>Trim, Ninth Ward High Roller<P>, fell into the hands of Atlantic Records through Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon. This then opened some of the ears at Atlantic where the band was soon signed to a recording deal.

Surgery is headed by vocalist Sean McDonnell. Filling out the rest of the surgical sound is Scott Kleber, on guitar; John Lachapelle, on bass; and John Leamy, on drums. With several different musical backgrounds, the four joined together in 1987 at Syracuse University, in upstate New York.

Leamy commented on the beginnings of the band by saying that, "we were friends who partied together and never really took the band all that seriously. Other people began to take it more seriously than us, and eventually wanted us to record."

Leamy stated that, "we have a fan base now, but we need to increase it - quickly." With the band's latest release and its extensive touring dates, Surgery shouldn't have any trouble with attracting a huge fan following. So, go hungry a few days and pick up Surgery's latest release, <I>Shimmer<P>.

*******************************************************

21ST CAMP COUGAR GREAT RETREAT, FUN FOR SPECIAL KIDS

For the 21st consecutive year, the University of Houston has hosted Camp Cougar, a two-week summer camp, as part of the Mental Health-Mental Retardation (MHMRA) of Harris County Agency.

The summer camp session began July 16, and ended Saturday. Normally an event held in June, Camp Cougar had to be postponed until July because of the lack of campus space available in June.

Nevertheless, since its inception in 1973, the camp has proven to be successful in Houston and is the only overnight camp of its kind in the city.

"When the camp first got started, many parents felt the need for a camp like this because there was nothing in the form of recreation for individuals of mental retardation," said Camp Cougar coordinator Gwen Lewis. "Therefore the MHMRA wanted to develop something especially for MR children."

The campers are divided into three groups. The groups range from the mental ages of child, teen and adult. However, Camp Cougar Program Director Kim Hales, admits that several of these individuals are actually more intelligent than they are given credit for.

"We have this one kid named Andrew who can tell you the time right down to the second without even looking at a watch," Hales said.

Hales is a senior biology major and one of the many university and high school students who volunteer to help coordinate the events for Camp Cougar every year.

"Initially, scholarships in the form of campus housing are given to students as compensation for help," Hales said. "But since I live off campus, I don't use the compensation. The reason I'm here is because I love making this kids happy and enjoy watching them have a good time."

The daily routine at Camp Cougar involves the campers waking up for breakfast at 8 a.m. Then, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. the campers participate in various activities ranging from nature discovery and swimming to arts and crafts.

Lunch is then served at 1 p.m., followed by a two-hour rest period at 2 p.m. The campers then break for more activities at 4 p.m. before being served dinner at 5 p.m. The camp then coordinates special nightly activities that could include a movie, a dance or a talent show that lasts from 7—9 p.m. before departing for showers and bedtime.

"For some of these kids, Camp Cougar is the only opportunity they have for vacation all year," said MHMRA member Nancy Getman. "Because of that, they really look forward to coming here and just have a lot of fun when they finally get here."

Lewis has been coordinating the Camp Cougar events since 1990 and has been with the MHMRA agency since 1979.

"When I first entered MHMRA, I didn't know much about it," Lewis said. "But it kind of grows on you after a while. Instead of focusing on what these kids can't do, it is important to focus on what they can do. By doing that, it becomes easier for us to realize that these kids are humans too and are just like everyone else."

The cost per camper to attend Camp Cougar is $175, which includes all room and board provided by the university.

"We are hoping we can keep the camp together and continue having it because the parents and kids love it," Lewis said.

Any UH student interested in becoming a part of the Camp Cougar family next summer can get more information by calling Sandy Coltharp, assistant director of Residential Life and Housing at 743-6028.

UH SEEKS OUT NEW CONFERENCE

After months of rumors and speculation, UH Athletic Director Bill Carr said, the department is "actively pursuing" an alignment with certain schools that currently make up the Great Midwest and Metro athletic conferences.

Carr would not specify which schools and what negotiations are taking place, but he said UH is still looking at the different possibilities.

"We do not know exactly what configuration will evolve in the end," said Carr.

He said there are several options, including a straight merger of the two conferences, a new conference with some of the schools, or just joining one of the conferences.

We are looking into those options," said Carr.

"Dr. Pickering feels that we need to get our house together and get people in the (Astrodome) before we consider conference alignment," said Geri Konigsberg, director of Media Relations, Thursday.

Sunday she said, "We are actively pursuing conversations with appropriate conferences. There are no serious negotiations going on at this time."

She would not comment on what other conferences UH may be talking to.

UH President James Pickering could not comment on the issue because he is on vacation until August 8.

However, Carr said he is confident something will come out of the Metro-Great Midwest talks.

The Great Midwest and the Metro are both made up of seven schools, but only six play football: the University of Cincinnati and the University of Memphis in the Great Midwest, and the University of Louisville, Southern Mississippi University, Tulane and Virginia Tech in the Metro.

"There are six schools that play Division I-A football and basketball. Those six schools would definitely be a part of it, and who else remains to be seen," said Carr.

He added that those schools are enthusiastic about a possible new alignment including UH.

The Charlotte Observer quoted Dick Schultz, former NCAA executive director and currently a consultant to the Metro, as saying, UH and East Carolina University are potential members of a 16-team conference that would have eight football-playing schools.

While UH does not have a time frame in mind, the sooner a deal is struck, the better it would be for the school, said Carr.

Konigsberg said UH has four to five years before it has to make a decision.

The Great Midwest voted to expand and look for more football-playing schools in January, conference commissioner Michael Slive told the Houston Chronicle.

Slive also said the conference is impressed with UH and likes the direction it is headed in.

The Metro is made up of North Carolina-Charlotte, Louisville, South Florida, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, Virginia Commonwealth and Virginia Tech.

Great Midwest members include: Alabama-Birmingham, Cincinnati, Dayton, DePaul, Marquette, Memphis State and St. Louis.

INTERNATIONAL DYKE MARCHERS BARE ALL, SAY NO TO PATRIARCHY

by shane patrick boyle

NEW YORK, June 25–This afternoon, lesbians from around the world cast off the chains of patriarchy and their shirts (though not necessarily in that order) and paraded down 5th Avenue from Central Park to Washington Square Park.

The International Dyke March didn't draw police opposition as the Drag March did, but it was no less daring with its own brand of bare-bosomed boldness, and if size matters, the women took the prize.

An exact count was impossible to make. After all, it would be awfully boring if everyone stood still and waited to be counted. This march was much too festive for that. What can be said is that marchers filled the entire width of 5th Avenue for the length of five blocks, which can be calculated to be a lot of people. Very scientific.

I described the antics of the drag march as a mixture of in-your-face and tongue-in-cheek, figuratively speaking. The Dyke March, however, was more literal about getting in-your-face by inserting their tongues in each others' cheeks. Many participants french-kissed along the route. One couple even laid down in the middle of the street and dry-humped. Several of the women wore giant vaginas made of foam.

There were too many groups and individuals involved for clever group chants to catch on. Instead, various groups including the National Organization for Women, The Lesbian Avengers, Lesbian Social Workers, female members of the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power and others presented various messages. Some male supporters also joined the women. Yes, unfortunately, most of the guys kept their shirts on.

Lesbian Avengers armed with chalk scribbled graffiti like "Dyke Power! Out of the way bud!"

On one side of one block along the route, a mysterious rain poured down though there was not a cloud in the sky. It had been a long, hot day, so many marchers made a quick detour onto the sidewalk to get wet without questioning the source of the miraculous rain. Those who were more inquisitive looked up and saw a man pouring buckets of water and spraying a hose from atop a building. This may have been the first time anybody ever got applause for raining on a parade.

From a window ledge in the same building, a well-built, half naked man blew soap bubbles. Or maybe he was completely naked. It was hard to tell from that angle. All I could see was his bare chest leaning over the ledge and his bare legs hanging out.

It was below this building that I bumped into Micheal Crawford, an activist from Houston. He was carrying a camcorder to chronicle all the exciting events and he asked if I had seen someone else from Houston. I had run into the person he was referring to earlier, and as far as I knew, he was supposed to be at this march–so I wasn't much help. Besides, I had more important things on my mind. "I'm trying to figure out if that guy up there is half naked or completely naked," I said. Micheal wasn't sure either.

Once in Washington Square Park, I ran into another Houstonian, Elizabeth Lee, president of the University of Houston's Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Alliance. Other than myself, I think she may have been the only UH student, past or present, in New York for Stonewall 25. Lee and Crawford were attending as representatives of the Houston chapter of Gay and Lesbian Americans. In addition to marching, GLA chapters held a national conference in New York this week to discuss strategies for putting pressure on Congress to approve the AIDS Cure Act.

A pseudo-evangelical type walked around the park holding a sign (made from a torn pizza box) which read, "No sex without love," to which several people responded, "We love sex." Oddly enough, I don't think he was part of the religious right, but whatever point he was trying to make, he didn't communicate it very well.

As Dyke March festivities fade out, The Radical Faeries and Tribal Queers begin with their own ceremony, taking off from Washington Square towards Sheridan Square. The procession dances to the music of primitive instruments as they chant "Judy! Judy! Judy!" Some of them carry a bier with the body of Judy Garland.

Tonight, many of us will demonstrate to call for "action in the spirit of Stonewall (in other words, a riot)," and tomorrow, many more of us will march up 5th Avenue without a permit, following, in reverse, a route almost exactly the same as today's Dyke March.

The fun's not over yet, but I can't help thinking that tomorrow's march will pale in comparison to last night's Drag March and this afternoon's Dyke March.

REUNION GAME FUN FOR ALL AGES

Final result doesn't overshadow true meaning of game: history

Perhaps it was fitting that the 1994 Reunion of Champions game at Hofheinz Pavilion Saturday night ended in a 92-92 tie.

After all, the real purpose of the game didn't have much to do with winning and losing.

The proceeds of the contest, sponsored by Pacificare and organized by former Houston basketball player Otis Birdsong and his wife Deborah, will go toward athletic scholarships.

Saturday's game, the third such event, was attended by a crowd of 4,845.

On the floor, the game was played between teams of basketball alumni from all eras, including Birdsong himself, Reid Gettys, Craig Upchurch and Greg Anderson.

Others scheduled to show who didn't were Clyde Drexler, Michael Young, Sam Mack and Derrick Daniels. However, '93 grad Derrick Smith made a surprise appearance and played with his name taped to the back of his jersey.

Those who played were split into two teams, the Red team coached by Bill Worrell, and the White team led by Kevin Hanratty.

The event was given a huge uplift during halftime when Hakeem Olajuwon, member of the reigning NBA champion Houston Rockets, appeared. The regular-season and Finals MVP brought the crowd to its feet when he received awards for his accomplishments at center court.

After Olajuwon was finished, former Rockets mascots Turbo and Eclips put on a dunking display that left the already-charged crowd even more ecstatic.

"I thought it (the game) went pretty well," Birdsong said. "The only thing I was disappointed in was some guys who had committed to play didn't show up, but that's the nature of the business.

"I thought it was a great testament to Hakeem that he flew in all the way from (a cardshow in) Miami just to be here."

Birdsong almost added the most stunning highlight of the night when his desperation halfcourt hook at the end of the game glanced off the front of the rim. Birdsong started for the red team.

A baseline jumper by Ken "Juice" Williams of the Red team knotted the game at 92 with 20 seconds left. Before that, the White team had taken a 92-90 lead when Greg Anderson rebounded his free-throw miss and passed to Craig Upchurch for a layup.

The game was back and forth for most of the second half. One highlight was the "ejection" of Worrell for arguing a foul call.

Worrell subsequently tried to slip a none-too-subtle bribe to an official to stay in the game. When told his bribe was too small, Worrell responded, "I didn't go to A&M, after all."

The fun and games were also present in the first half, when for a period of roughly three minutes, the game was played by some true old-timers. 1950 alum Marvin Reichle and '51 grad Larry Hogue were among the more senior participants who were given the floor to strut their stuff for awhile.

"I'm a little bit older than most of them (the other players)," Hogue, who finished with one point, said after the game. "But it's a lot of fun. I can keep up for a little while, then I run out of gas."

Upchurch, who led all scorers with 22 points in his first Reunion game, agreed the game was a good time for all involved.

"You have older guys that still have their talent, they can do whatever they can do, but you have younger guys that make the game more interesting too," he said.

"I grew up in high school watching some of these UH guys in the 50s and the 60s, so it was just a thrill for me to come out here and to see them and be around them and watch them play," Worrell added.

ANOTHER WORLD RECORD TO FALL?

Former Cougar Carl Lewis will begin his competition in the Goodwill Games today in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Lewis, the former world record holder in the 100-meter dash will be competing in the 100, the 400-meter relay and the long jump.

Other Houston alumni, current 100-meter record holder Leroy Burrell and Sam Jefferson, will be running alongside Lewis in the 100.

Burrell broke Lewis' record earlier this month. It was the second time Burrell had taken the record from Lewis. They have been trading the record since 1988 when Lewis broke Calvin Smith's five-year record.

The track and field world is waiting to see what will happen during the games which end Aug. 7.

The Goodwill Games will be televised on TNT.

OLAJUWON RETURNS TO HOFHEINZ SATURDAY

Halftime ceremony touching for Dream

Hakeem Olajuwon had a trying day Saturday, but he found time for his alma mater at the Reunion of Champions game Saturday night.

Olajuwon stopped by Hofheinz Pavilion at halftime to receive honors from athletic director Bill Carr and Deborha Birdsong before a standing ovation.

Carr presented Olajuwon with a portrait-sized replica of the billboard which was be seen all over Houston during the NBA Finals. Carr gave a lengthy speech tracing all the current NBA regular-season and Finals MVP's accomplishments back to his start at UH.

Birdsong then came forward with a glass bowl from other ex-Houston players who shared in their respect of Olajuwon.

The 7-0 native of Nigeria had been at a card show in Miami until 3 p.m. His plane arrived in Houston at 7 p.m.

After being mobbed by autograph seekers for roughly 15 minutes, a fatigued but happy Olajuwon found time to address the media.

"It was very touching to hear all those beautiful comments," he said. "Seeing all the old players from the program makes me happy.

"The game is just a reminder for all the players to get back together again at the university, just to see what everyone is doing, think back about the old days. I think it's important."

More questions came about the future of the athletic program at Hakeem's alma mater. On this subject, he had mostly positive things to say.

"We're building the opportunity to create something exciting," Olajuwon said. "I think support from the alumni will make all the difference."

Not many need reminding of Olajuwon's contributions to the Houston basketball program. He was a member of three UH NCAA Final Four teams, including the two straight championship-game losers in the 1983 and 1984 seasons.

Yet he recently gained redemption in his professional career with the Houston Rockets, bringing the first championship in any existing pro league to the city.

Now, both he and the university he started at are hoping a little of his success will rub off.

TEXAS SOUTHERN'S SMITH HONORED BY UH ROTC

by Mark Mierstchin

A ceremony was held Wednesday afternoon for the commission of Donya Smith as second lieutenant into the U.S. Army.

Capt. James Simon conducted the ceremony and Major Mike Ferguson, Major Mark W. Jones and 2nd Lt. Michael Handel served as witnesses.

Simon, who was Smith's company commander in the unit from the 4005th U.S. Army Hospital, spoke highly of Smith's ability and performance.

"She's going to excel in her unit," Simon said. "She's one of those can-do persons."

Jones, who is also professor of military science at UH, told Smith that being commissioned as a lieutenant and completing her college degree was an outstanding accomplishment and demonstrated responsibility and leadership. "It's a great event," Jones said.

Smith, a 24-year-old recent TSU graduate, was part of a program that UH offers to surrounding Houston colleges and universities. A student can enroll in UH's ROTC military science program while they are attaining a bachelor's degree from another institution. The student receives credit for the program through their own school.

Handel, a recent UH graduate and former classmate of Smith, is a gold ball recruiter for the program and is working temporarily at UH to help with recruiting. He said Smith will do well going into the Army Reserves.

Smith joined the Army to receive money from the United States to help pay for college. She said serving in the Army is challenging and presents many opportunities for those who are willing to stand the test.

"It has a lot of ups and downs, yet it's not for everyone," Smith said. "If you hang in there, it does reap its benefits.

"In the military, I have gained friendship instantly."

Smith was part of the first reserve unit in Texas to be called to active duty from Ft. Hood during Desert Storm. She never had to make the trip to Saudi Arabia, yet she did endure some harsh experiences.

"Our unit got hit hard and we lost a lot of doctors and nurses," Smith said.

When asked to comment on her life in the military and all she has learned she said, "If I had the chance to do it all over again, I still would."

Smith will be traveling to Ft. Benjamin Harrison in Indiana in late October. She will be enrolled in the Adjutant Office General Basic Course (AOGBC) to further prepare her for the reserves.