STUDENTS ASKED TO PAY UC COSTS

With faulty plumbing, a leaky roof and the need for a variety of renovations, the University Center may require students to pay an increased amount of student fees to repair the damages and prevent a huge deficit.

Unless the cap for the University Center Fee is raised by legislative mandate to $35 from $15, John Lee, director of the UC and Associated Facilities said, the UC will be forced to make substantial cuts in its budget.

"Due to the increasing cost of doing business, the Center is once again at the financial crossroad," said Lee.

A balanced budget was approved for fiscal year 1995 by reducing UC renovation and capital improvements to $68,711.

Under current fiscal projections, the UC will be short $131,289 with a 5 to 10 percent increase in utilities, Lee said. In FY 1995, the center will experience a 4.5 to 6 percent increase in administrative costs, and a 5 to 10 percent increase in utility costs each year.

"If you look at UC expense projections, there will be some increases in uncontrollable expenses that would cause the staff to review how they provide services," said Dean of Students William Munson. "It might come down to whether they could provide services or keep the lights on."

Under current fiscal income projections, the UC is projected to be $638,105 short with a 5 percent increase in utility costs and $814,282 short with a 5 percent increase in utility costs by the year 2000.

If the State Legislature does not institute a mechanism whereby UH can raise UC fees, then the UC's staff may be forced to cut its services to students and charge fees for the use of rooms, said Students' Association Speaker Jeff Fuller.

"For many years, UH did not raise its fees while other schools raised fees. We are at a point now where we have to raise that fee. Otherwise, student service fees would have to be raised," said Fuller.

Rodger Peters, chairman of the Student Fees Advisory Committee, said that for every increase in student service fees, 36 percent must go to athletics and one percent to the Activities Funding Board.

If the cap was raised for the UC fee, it would be cheaper in the long run for students, said Peters.

At this point, Grover Campbell, vice chancellor for governmental relations for the UH System, said the cap increase is only up for discussion and a decision about asking the legislature for the increase depends on student and administrative support.

Campbell said it is too early in the legislative process to make predictions since the legislature does not commence its session until January.

Lee's request outlines a mechanism by which the UC fee could be increased by increments that could not exceed 10 percent of the current fee.

"This proposal is not actually a fee increase. It is a mechanism to increase the fee as the need arises," said Peters.

The process proposed by Lee would amend Section 54.526 of the Education Code to require all UC fee hikes to have SFAC approval and subsequent presidential approval.

As outlined by Lee, the only purpose for the UC fee will be the "financing, constructing, operating, maintaining and improving" UC facilities.

Fee monies would not go toward salary increases or anything else besides maintenance and renovation, said Peters.

Under the proposal, UC fee monies would be deposited in the University of Houston Center fee account and will be under SFAC's control.

The committee would have to submit a complete and itemized budget for the next year, along with a thorough accounting of spending activities during the previous year.

Under the amended code, if the fee charged is 10 percent more than the previous year, it would have to be approved by student referendum.

Every $1 increase in the UC fee adds $.97 net or a total of $74,000 per fiscal year.

Elwyn Lee, vice president for student affairs, and Munson expressed full support for the cap hike.

"The recommended process guarantees student input via the student majority Student Fees Advisory Committee and follows the model mechanism set forth in the student fee statutes," said Munson.

Since SFAC is made up of nine students and two faculty members, a high level of student input is guaranteed, said Munson.

The current UC fee was implemented in 1988 at the maximum level of $15 per student (for fall and spring semesters) and $7.50 per student for the summer session.

"The UC fee was established in 1988 to generate needed operating income and to address the problem of neglect brought on by years of (declining) maintenance," said John Lee.

With the fee established in 1988, the center's staff was able to make improvements in the facility, and absorb such cost increases as in medical insurance premiums, mandated salary increases, administrative costs, increasing utility rates, and increasing material costs, said John Lee.

"The fee has not increased since its introduction, although operational costs have increased. The UC staff has been able to make ends meet through maximizing generated income and economizing where possible," said Munson.

Compared to other Texas institutions, UH's UC fee ranks along with the University of Texas-El Paso as the lowest in the state. A survey indicated the national average for student union fees was $30 nationwide and $24 in Texas.

*******************************************************

TEXAS SCHOOLS FACE THE BRUNT OF LOW FUNDING

by Tiffany Vaughner

Average salaries in Texas are lagging behind the 10 most populated states in the nation, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

THECB July 1994 reports said, Texas salaries averaged $46,228 for fiscal year 1993-1994. The average for the 10 states is $51,730. The state with the highest salary average is New Jersey with $64,091. The state with the lowest average is Georgia with $45,639, the only school Texas beat.

Texas is also behind the average faculty salary for the nation by $2,777. Over the last the years the margin has been cut by $1,372.

J. D. Phaup, chair of TFA's Governmental Relations Committee said, "At this rate, it is going to take Texas to the end of the century before we even reach the average salary for the fifty states."

Faculty Senate President Ernst Leiss said, he thought the Texas State Coordinating Board uses the 10 state average to define what is an acceptably range for faculty salaries. He said, he thinks the TSCB has changed to an all state average which will make the average lower.

He said he felt the reason the state was not adequately funding universities, was that court mandates require the state to allocate more funds to prisons than higher education institutions.

He said people are not interested in long term solutions to their problems. He said they see crime and want to put a quick fix on it by building more prisons or adding more police. Leiss believes people fail to understand that one of the root causes of crime is a lack of education.

"If you gave people a choice between more funding for higher education, and having more police protection, which one do you think they'd choose?," said Leiss.

Harbhajan Hayre, UH's local representative for TFA said, Texas could not afford to be at the bottom of any list. He said below average salaries will keep the best faculty away from Texas universities, and will force the ones already here to seek better jobs elsewhere.

Charles Zucker, president of the Texas Faculty Association said, a professional's salary is often much higher than his or her university counter part. He said, for example, engineering professors usually make thousands of dollars less than a practicing engineer.

UNOFFICIAL GAY-PARADE DRAWS THOUSANDS AS STONEWALL 25 PREPARES FOR MARCH PAST U.N.

by shane patrick boyle

NEW YORK, June 26–5th Avenue is flooded today. With people, that is. There must be at least 5,000 of us flowing up 5th Avenue like a human river. Maybe as many as 10,000. I have never seen so many people in one place. And this is not even the official march.

The official march is supposed to be even larger. Maybe 100,000 or more. That parade will go past the United Nations Building. Supposedly, this is a way of coming out to the world and calling attention to international human rights violations against queers. Incidentally, the U.N. building is closed today.

While the other parade is larger, ours has a larger audience, even if it is largely a captive audience. This just goes to show that if you want to call attention to a cause, you have to stop traffic.

More visibility, however, is not the only reason we are marching separately. The alternative march was organized mostly by the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power, Stonewall Now and the Spirit of Stonewall, but there are dozens of groups here and none of them actually own the march.

The original, and still primary, purpose is to call attention to the AIDS pandemic.

ACT-UP leads the march. One of their signs poses the question, "How many of us will be alive for Stonewall 35?" Several signs call for reform in the research for a cure for AIDS, one of the many promises Bill Clinton has yet to deliver on.

Silence still equals death.

Many groups are here to oppose the growing conservative element in the gay "community" that is trying to "clean up" parades.

Another reason for not participating in the main march is that the officially sanctioned events of Stonewall 25 (such as the Gay Games) represent not liberation, but commercialization and assimilation. As one sticker printed by the Lesbian avengers phrases it, we are here to prove that queer liberation is "a movement, not a market." And 5th Avenue is a very appropriate place to let the world know "We're here, we're queer and we're not going shopping."

The most notable difference between our two marches is that ours is illegal.

We're here, we're queer and we don't have a permit.

The march organizers tried to get a permit, but Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who was recently the subject of an ACT-UP protest when he tried to cut New York's Department of AIDS Services, would not approve the route from Sheridan Square to Central Park by way of 5th Avenue.

This didn't stop us. If anything, it gave many of us incentive to get up this morning, particularly after last night.

We are breaking the law but the pigs make no move to stop us.

What can they do? Run us over with tanks in a Tiananmen Square-style massacre? That's what it would take to keep us from completing the more than 50 blocks to Central Park. When masses of people make up their minds to stand up against authority, the powers-that-be are rendered impotent.

Besides, the police, unlike some of the Stonewall 25 organizers, have probably been briefed on the historical context. They know that if they arrest even one queer or make any attempt to stand in our way, the ensuing riots would make the original Stonewall riots look like a tea party.

All the pigs can do is pretend to make themselves useful by keeping cars off the street. They couldn't stop a couple hundred of us from taking to the streets to make our rounds last night.

Last night was the Stonewall Now demonstration denouncing queer bashings, and calling for action in the spirit of Stonewall. The message was that it's time to bash back.

The demo began at Sheridan Square, in front of the Stonewall. Other stops included: a church that preaches homophobia and supports Operation Rescue; the piers along the Hudson River, where many gay men and transgenders have been murdered; and The Food Bar in Chelsea, site of a recent bashing and a rape.

Organizers saved the best for last, concluding the unofficial march with a visit to the 6th Police Precinct, the precinct responsible for the raid on Stonewall and for ignoring bashings.

The number of people participating varied. At one time, it was around a couple hundred. Stonewall Now coalition members represent a variety of groups, but most of the active organizers of this event were from Love and Rage, an anarchist collective that publishes a newspaper by the same name. Others noticeably represented included the International Socialist Organization, ACT-UP, a lone Lesbian Avenger, Transgender Menace, unaffiliated individuals and a few small groups I never learned the names of.

Along the way, we recruited more marchers as we shouted "Out of the bars and into the streets!"

We also borrowed slogans from the Drag March. Admittedly, however, the Drag Queens and Dykes were much more stylish than the activists.

The pigs followed us every step of the way, trying to break up our party or at least force it onto the sidewalks.

Participation decreased as police threats increased, but a dedicated core hung in there until the end. The route had to be amended slightly to take the cops by surprise, and at one point, we were forced onto the sidewalks for a few blocks, but we completed the tour with all the scheduled stops including the police station.

I recognize many of the marchers today from the Dyke and Drag marches and Radical Faerie activities. I talked to some of the Radical Faeries this morning and learned of the resurrection of Judy Garland last night.

I don't see many people from last night's action and I wonder if most of them over-slept after their long night.

I move back and forth among the ranks of the marchers, drifting from one group to another, but I can't find the beginning or the end of the march. It seemed so small when it started out from Sheridan Square.

So far, I have marched with the Irish Gays and Lesbians (I congratulate them on Ireland's football victory over England and they congratulate me on Houston's basketball victory over New York.), Independent Democrats, a couple of independent queer anarchists, a housing rights group, the Radical Faeries, ACT-UP and other AIDS groups, various cute individuals (including one I recruited into the march) and the Spirit of Stonewall.

Conspiracy theorists, fundamentalists and undercover pigs are going to have a field day when they develop their film and see one person marching with nearly every group.

Several celebrities are supposed to be marching with SOS, including AIDS activist Luke Sissyfag, nuevo-feminist Camille Paglia and the oldest living activist Harry Hay, but I don't recognize them on sight and I don't want to come across as a fan boy, so I guess I won't be meeting any of them today.

I overheard somebody say ACT-UP is getting ready to stage a die-in. I hurry to the front of the march, knowing that is where I will find ACT-UP, I'm finished with the cigarette and we are approaching St. Patrick's Cathedral, where Diamanda Galas and several members of ACT-UP were arrested during an AIDS demonstration a few years back. What a good place for a die-in.

Actually, most people aren't laying down, so it looks more like a sit-down strike than a die-in. Nevertheless, it holds up the march and hopefully pisses off the cops.

A block from Central Park, we turn and head toward 6th Avenue, which we use to enter the park. As we come into the park, we merge with the official march and I am right behind the Canadian contingent.

The pride rally is just getting started and my press pass allows me to get close to the stage, but it is very crowded and the opening acts are a couple of lame comedians. Gay and lesbian comedians ceased to be a novelty quite some time ago.

It's hot in Central Park today–almost as bad as Houston, and I've been marching for about four hours. The lines for drinking fountains are very long and I can't afford to go to those booths that have signs saying "Support Stonewall 25, buy water."

I'm just going to find a shaded area away from the obnoxious rally and relax for a little while. My hand's getting tired from writing in present tense.

It was exciting to see thousands of queers standing up against authoritarianism and getting away with it, but overall, today's peaceful march was somewhat anti-climactic compared to the rest of the weekend.

NOBLE RALLYING ALUMNI SUPPORT

Last Wednesday, new baseball head coach Rayner Noble started what he hopes will be a long tradition for the UH baseball program.

Noble held a brief meeting July 20 of roughly 25 former Cougar lettermen in an attempt to fire up alumni support in an athletic program which he believes has long needed it.

"Our ambition within this entity, this baseball program, is to get a faction together of the ex-players so that we can be a group in ourselves and feel proud about what happened in the past here, but also feel good about what's going to happen in the future," Noble said when addressing the group.

In Noble's opinion, that faction is already growing, though it is early yet.

"I think it was good," he said of the turnout after the meeting. "Our first meeting (July 10), we had only about ten or a dozen, and I think we pretty much doubled that."

Noble said he would continue to have monthly meetings until December, "when we (the team) really get started into our season.

"The main thing I want to do is just see new faces every time."

Goals set by Noble at the meeting were increasing game attendance, getting the baseball program to "fund itself," and getting those present to be more involved by joining the H Association, a dues-paying organization of ex-UH athletes from all sports.

Specific ideas suggested included numerous group family activities to raise money, selling outfield signs in the new stadium to advertisers and the "Game Day" season ticket strategy.

The signs on the new outfield fence will reportedly sell for $1500 apiece. The base price for a Game Day ticket package will be $200.

Of course, nothing is set in concrete yet. Noble said the group will be "hashing over whether we want to give hard season tickets or just punches (admissions). You may just get 200 admissions into the park.

"All we're interested in is getting these guys back together feeling good about what's going on here and putting people in the seats," he said.

"Maybe in the meantime we can start raising funds so we can eventually get to build our program to where we're not having to suck money out of football and basketball," he added.

Recently, the baseball team has suffered the loss of three members. Starting third baseman J.J. Matzke and pitcher Jason Dixon are transferring, and shortstop Ryan Elizondo will be academically ineligible in 1995.

"What's very important for us to be able to do is when we bring players into this program, what's going to really be the glue is that they see that we have a strong bond all the way from the present to the past," Noble said to the group.

VISION OF THE FUTURE

Recruit puts on MVP performance in McDonald's All-Star game

Upon viewing Galen Robinson's MVP performance at the McDonald's All-Star basketball game Monday night at Hofheinz Pavilion, it might have seemed like the future UH player was at the top of his game.

The 6-8 forward out of Aldine McArthur High scored 20 points on 9-of-14 shooting and pulled down 10 rebounds in 20 minutes at the annual contest for the area's best high school players.

For these efforts, he was named the MVP of the South team. The South lost to the North 118-99.

To hear his side of it, though, the best is yet to come.

When asked if he had shown the crowd of 5,126 all he could do on a court, Robinson's answer was a definitive "No."

Yet a legitimate response would be to question just how much more would be possible.

Robinson wowed a crowd who seemed more than slightly biased in favor of him. He demonstrated a wide range of inside moves and ballhandling skills, especially in the third quarter, when he practically took over the game for a brief stretch.

When he entered at the 5:19 mark of the third, the South was rallying to take a 59-58 lead after being down by as many as 15 in the first half.

Robinson proceeded to go 4-of-4 in the remaining five minutes and change, scoring nine points in the quarter. Four of those points came in spectacular fashion.

With 1:11 left in the half, he stole a pass and dribbled the length of the court, finishing with a thunderous slam.

Robinson's coast-to-coast plays weren't finished. He scored a layup and a free throw with 26 seconds left after getting the rebound on the defensive end.

The only player to touch the ball: Robinson.

"He played well," head basketball coach Alvin Brooks about his recruit. "I've seen him play for three years, so I wasn't surprised. He did what he does best, rebound and score well around the basket."

Unfortunately, his team would collapse in the fourth quarter, getting outscored 43-22 and losing by 19.

"I'm not gonna doubt my teammates," Robinson said after the game. "We had a good team, we just didn't win.

"I played well, but I missed some easy shots. We took some bad shots and couldn't convert early on and they could, so we lost."

Though it was fun to watch, Robinson's game wasn't without its negatives. He fouled out with 3:01 left in the fourth quarter, made only 2-of-5 from the line, and was 0-for-2 from behind the three-point line, with a few fans howling for him to pass the ball.

The fouls in particular irked Robinson.

"One of the refs told me something like, 'You're just in high school, you don't have to play so hard.' I said that's why I'm out here, to play hard," he said.

"He has skills," Brooks said. "One day, he will be able to play the three-spot (small forward), though I don't know if it will be anytime next year."

Brooks also sees room for improvement in his young soon-to-be pupil.

"He's quite raw," Brooks said. "You talk about ballhandling, but he still had four turnovers and no assists."

Robinson indicated he would be willing to do what he could to get better.

"I'll miss high school," Robinson said. "I know I can do well here if I just keep a positive attitude and keep trying."

LEWIS-BURRELL MATCHUP FALLS A LITTLE SHORT

After almost a month of speculation over the outcome in the showdown between former Cougars Leroy Burrell and Carl Lewis in the 100-meter dash at the Goodwill Games, the track and field world was in for a surprise when Dennis "Green Machine" Mitchell won in a time of 10.07 seconds.

Burrell broke Carl Lewis' world record for the second time earlier this month. Many were waiting to see if Lewis would come back and beat Burrell at the Goodwill Games held in St. Petersburg, Russia until Aug. 7.

Instead Burrell finished second in 10.11 and Lewis came in fourth with a finish of 10.23. Jon Drummond of the United States finished third with a time of 10.12.

Mitchell came out of the blocks first and never looked back as he led the entire way. Burrell, who had a false start, overcame a slow start to come from behind in his second place finish and Lewis just had a disappointing race.

"I haven't run that many races this year and it showed," Lewis told reporters. "I made some early-season mistakes. I'm disappointed. I know I can run fast. I know I will get faster this year."

Lewis also withdrew from yesterday's long jump because he did not want to compete on consecutive days at this stage of the season. He will run in the 400-meter relay Friday.

Joining Lewis in the relay will be Burrell and another former Cougar, Sam Jefferson. Lewis had said earlier this year that he is looking to break the world record in the 400-meter relay this year.

In three trips to the Goodwill Games Lewis has yet to win the 100-meters.

EX-COOG HONORED BY CITY COUNCIL

Wilson Whitley, the former UH All-American and Lombardi Award winner, will be one of two athletes honored at a City Council meeting today at 9:45 a.m.

Whitley will be inducted into the Southwest Conference Hall of Honor in Dallas Friday along with Rice's Dicky Maegle. The city of Houston wants to honor them both first, however.

Whitley played defensive tackle for UH from 1973-'76. He also played for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals and Houston Oilers.

He died of a heart attack in 1992.

STORYVILLE'S TALE IS ONE TOLD LONG BEFORE

by Tom Turner

If a person can be sentenced for stealing another band's music and then try to pass it off as an acclaimed release, Malford Milligan, front man of Storyville, is guilty.

No need for a jury here folks, the band's press kit makes it sound as if Storyville will be the next huge "Southern Blues-rock" band, but don't be fooled.

The debut release for Storyville is entitled <I>Bluest Eyes<P>. The 13-track release is structured off of the band's so-called blues-rock style. The Austin based group has received awards for the Best New Band and the Best Male vocalist by the Austin Music Awards last year. There's no telling how these guys even got on the ballot.

Supposedly the next big band to come out of Austin, Milligan and Storyville have tried to pawn off music that is considered "powerful Texas rock with infectious funkiness, gospel, a hint of Motown and bountiful soul." Well, quite simply, catchy press kit quotes don't make an album.

On <I>Bluest Eyes<P>, Milligan is at least able to put together a few strong musicians to aid in his quest for a decent album. Some of those who appear on the album include Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton, from the former Arc Angels and Double Trouble; David Grissom, from John "call me Cougar occasionally" Mellencamp; and Don Henley. Even with this strong assortment of musicians, Storyville is still only able to bring forth a mediocre album, at best.

Milligan is recognized by the Austin Chronicle as "The most amazing male singer in Austin-bar none." Obviously the folks in Austin don't consider Ian Moore an Austin local anymore because Milligan doesn't stand anywhere near Moore's vocal talent.

On this release, most of the tracks are either slow blues oriented songs or straightforward "southern rock." The only rays of hope on the album come from "Carry You Home," "Wings Won't Let Me Fly" and Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street." "Long Way To Midnight" is an exact copy of an Arc Angels song, except Milligan changed the words. So much for true originality.

Storyville's <I>Bluest Eyes<P> is at very best an average release for a band building itself up more with its press releases than the actual music on the album.