UH'S METRO MERGER STILL HUSH HUSH

University of Houston Athletic Director Bill Carr confirmed last week that UH still has interest in being part of a revised Metro athletic conference including schools from the Metro and Great Midwest conferences, but would not give any other comments regarding that prospective realignment.

A story which appeared in the Houston Post Friday claimed the UH athletic department to be in possession of a list containing eight football-playing schools and 12 basketball-playing schools which could be part of the new Metro. According to the story, UH is one of the schools on the list.

Carr did not confirm the existence of the list in the story.

When asked Thursday by The Daily Cougar to speculate on the potential structure of the revised conference, he declined.

"The purpose of making the statements I've made is to say we are looking in that (the Metro's) direction just so we can say we are interested in those institutions," Carr said. "To continue to make comments (at this time) is counterproductive."

Negotiations between the presidents of the schools are underway but a decision could not be finalized from UH's standpoint until late August when the Board of Regents meets. The board would have to approve any conference move made by UH.

President James Pickering is still vacationing in Colorado and will return August 8.

Director of Media Relations Geri Konigsberg said UH was "actively pursuing" conference alignment Sunday.

Metro commissioner Ralph McFillen confirmed Thursday UH was a candidate for the proposed conference, but could not comment closely on the negotiations.

"There have been conversations taking place and will be conversations taking place with UH representatives. To say at this time with who would be inappropriate," McFillen said.

Despite the lack of concrete information available, it seems clear that should UH join the revised Metro, it would be one of six, seven or eight football-playing schools and as many as 12 basketball-playing schools to join.

The shoo-ins for the new conference would seem to be Tulane University, the University of Southern Mississippi and the University of Louisville, all of which currently play basketball in the Metro and are Division I-A independents in football.

The schools from the Great Midwest rumored to be involved are the University of Cincinnati, Memphis State University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Cincinnati and Memphis both have I-A independent football teams and play basketball in the Great Midwest. UAB has I-AA football status but is making a push for I-A classification.

Other schools mentioned in the Metro expansion have been I-A independent in football and basketball East Carolina University and Metro basketball affiliate Virginia Tech. However, Tech is a Big East football member.

Also currently playing basketball in the Metro are the University of Dayton, DePaul University, Marquette University and St. Louis University. None are candidates for a football division.

Football is considered to be the major reason for the shakeup. Liberty Media has offered the Metro a television contract for an all-sports conference, prompting a search by the Metro for football-playing schools.

"The driving force (behind the proposed expansion) is that the (football) independents need to be aligned together under one umbrella," McFillen said. "This would give them the opportunity to elevate their programs over the next several years.

McFillen added that UH's football program would "very much" be a factor in the school's consideration and that its geographic proximity with Tulane and Southern Mississippi would also help.

Southern Mississippi athletic director Bill McLellan said Thursday that UH was one of six schools being considered in the new Metro football division.

"We (Louisville, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, Cincinnati, Memphis) are one to five, y'all (UH) are six," McLellan said.

Tulane spokesperson Ian McCaw seemed to think East Carolina could make for an interesting seventh, however.

"They (Carolina) would make as much sense as any of the other schools," McCaw said Thursday. "Their football program has a decent market and an attractive non-conference schedule at this point, both of which would be attractive to the television market."

About the confusing scenario, Carr said, "You can fill in the blanks as far as X school (will be involved) and X number of schools (will be involved), but it's too early to tell.

"To do that would be extremely premature, because the project is not at that point yet."

*******************************************************

SA LEADERS SEEK STUDENT SUPPORT IN UC INCREASE

Although most student leaders and organizations have yet to support the University Center fee cap hike, Students' Association President Angie Milner and Senate Speaker Jeff Fuller have expressed support for the proposed increase.

A proposal by UC Director John Lee outlines an amendment to the Education Code allowing for an increase in the fee cap hike to $35 from $15.

"Right now, we are functioning okay, but in the next years we will experience a funding shortfall without an increase," said Milner. "The UC needs a lot of renovations. There are lots of leaks and some flooding in the underground. We have been basically band-aiding the problem. If we don't fix it, then in the long run, it will be more costly."

If renovations are not made, the UC will not be in "stable condition" in a few years and will become a safety hazard, said Milner.

The cap increase requires legislative approval. Without that approval, the fee cap will remain at $15.

A memo sent by Milner and Rodger Peters stated, "One of the concerns was that the increase of the fee would go towards salary increases. This is not true."

The memo also stated, "In the FY 95 SFAC recommendations, it clearly states that the mandated salary increases and equity and merit adjustments were already taken care of. The mandated salary pool of $225,000 has already been set aside. Also, the equity and merit adjustment of $128,000 has been set aside."

Fuller said SA will work with Vice Chancellor for Governmental Relations Grover Campbell to let students know that this proposed cap increase is not just another way to raise fees.

"We want to make sure we work with the administration so as not to cause problems. This way, we are working with them," said Fuller.

Fuller said SA leaders were approached by Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee and Student Fees Advisory Committee Chairman Rodger Peters with the proposed cap increase.

SA leaders are in the process of getting input from students and SFAC-funded groups.

"This is still something in the works. We are trying to get some feedback so we don't piss a lot of students off and so they know what is going on," Fuller said.

Milner said her first step was to present the proposal to student leaders for their input at a leadership retreat held July 22-23.

"Without student support, this will not be taken before the legislature," she said.

Milner said she and Peters have also sent a memo to SFAC-funded groups detailing the proposal and asking for their support.

"Most everyone was in support of it, but they wanted to go back and get feedback from their groups. We didn't expect a yes right away," Milner said.

Al Dugas, president of the Inter Fraternity Council said, he has not taken a position yet. He has planned a meeting with other council members to discuss the cap hike.

Other leaders such as Shirley Hollingsworth, president of Resident's Housing Association, said she personally supports the proposal.

"I agree with it because otherwise they will have to take the money out of other expenses. Somehow, we are going to pay. We might as well pay as a whole," Hollingsworth said.

Hollingsworth said over the next few weeks, RHA will conduct a survey to gauge resident support for the cap hike. Based on those results, she said RHA will decide whether or not to support the proposal.

Peters also said he personally supports the proposal but he must contact other SFAC members before determining if the committee will throw its support behind the cap hike.

At the retreat, some leaders expressed concern that fee increases might be partly allocated for salary increases and that student organizations will be charged an additional fee for reserving and renting UC facilities.

Peters said a $250,000 pool has been set aside to pay for mandated salary increases so additional money raised from fee hikes would not be allocated for salary augmentations.

Milner said if UH had a mechanism for raising UC fees, then the Center wouldn't have to charge for the use of facilities.

GETTING TO THE CORE OF THE BIG APPLE AND WONDERING 'IF THE STONEWALL WAS A FLUKE?'

Stonewall Diary part 5

by shane patrick boyle

NEW YORK July 27 -- It seems so strange to walk down the streets of New York City and see heterosexual couples holding hands or kissing.

During Stonewall 25, New York was Queer City with open displays of same sex affection on every street and not a hetero couple in sight.

But since then, as the lights on the Empire State Building have changed from lavender (in honor of gay spending power) to red, white and blue (in honor of capitalism and the battles openly straight people and closeted queers have fought to preserve it) and back to plain boring nothing (It's such an over-rated building anyway.) and the pigeons and homeless people have reclaimed Sheridan Square Park, the breeders have gradually come out of the closet.

That doesn't mean they have replaced gays and lesbians on the streets. Some of the tourists went home, but gays and lesbians still openly embrace their partners in public, particularly in New York City's predominantly queer area known as Manhattan.

I've actually met very few people here who are not at least bisexual, but many of the locals I have met in the past month told me they sat out of the festivities and protests.

The attitude of most New Yorkers witnessing the hype and a litany of "We're here! We're queer! (Fill in the blank!)" chants seems to have been "Big deal. Half this city was here and queer before you showed up."

And why not? I can't think of a better place to be queer than here. That's why I've stayed here so long. (No, I won't elaborate. What I do with other consenting adults in New York is my own business.)

Even Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes got into the act, appearing at Webster Hall in full drag to promote their upcoming movie <I>To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar<P>. I wasn't there (Webster Hall's cover charge is way beyond my means, so I stick to the East Side clubs), but I saw them on the news and I thought Snipes looked good, but Swayze was a total disaster. Her hair was a mess and I've never seen such a godawful dress.

But even though much of the city is openly queer and most New Yorkers accept this, not everybody here is open-minded. If that were the case, there would not have been 30 cases of queer bashings (including one initiated by a cop or pig which would be the more appropriate term) reported to New York's Anti-Violence Project during Stonewall 25.

The number of actual bashings was probably higher considering that most out-of-towners don't even know about AVP, an organization that keeps tabs on violent incidents motivated by various forms of prejudice, though the group attempted to make themselves more visible using posters with sobering slogans like "I'm not dead but my boyfriend is," and "I went to Stonewall 25 and all I got was this bloody T-shirt."

City officials including Mayor Rudolf Giuliani, who has admitted that the only reason he allowed the alternative march to take place was because he feared the possibility of riots (after all, if they couldn't stop a couple of hundred marchers the previous night, there was no way they could stop a few thousand).

The city's campaign includes signs in subway terminals that say "You probably know and respect someone who is gay or lesbian." In the background of the sign is a list of occupations such as lawyer, chef, artist and other patronizing classifications. Notable omissions include janitor, homeless person, etc.

But while the city welcomes gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender tourism dollars, it is clear that most public officials, including Mayor Guiliani and the police force, are uncomfortable with a large queer presence in the city as evidenced by a cop's bashing of a militant dyke who may have had a big mouth, but wasn't breaking the law.

June 28, Stonewall Now hosted a forum entitled "Did we radicalize Stonewall?"

I didn't attend, so I know their official conclusion but to me it is a rhetorical question.

Considering the 30 bashings during Stonewall, the city's stonewalling of the permit approval for the alternative march and the police response to the Drag March and the Call for Action demonstration, I would have to say that very little has changed in the past 25 years despite all the celebrating and protesting.

The demonstrations during Stonewall 25 were a step in the right direction, but to wake people up, it will take more than parties and parades and T-shirts and yes, more than clever protest chants. It's time for a true revolution in the spirit of Stonewall.

I unfortunately have no answer as to exactly how this can happen, but one thing is clearly missing -- the unity of oppressed peoples.

People of color, drag queens, women, gay men and homeless people joined together in the anti-authoritarian Stonewall Riots of 1969.

Twenty-five years later, I can walk down Christopher Street and witness white gay men calling out racial slurs or making sexist comments or telling homeless people to get a job.

I even witnessed a gay bashing last week. I would have intervened, but I felt the gay male couple in question could have stood up to the assault on their own. They were made of plaster and are part of George Segal's Gay Liberation sculpture in Sheridan Square Park which also includes a lesbian couple.

The attacker, wielding a broom, was a resident of the park — one of many who try to keep the park clean with brooms they find in dumpsters.

As he struck the sculpture and shouted "Queens messing up this park," I found it hard to take sides.

It was hard to take sides, because he had a point. The park is supposedly an important tribute to the riots, but apparently the homeless residents respect the park more than the bar queens who use the entire park as a trash can.

Was the Stonewall Rebellion a fluke or can we repeat history?

That's a question I ponder as I wait for my bus back to Houston at Gate 69. That number seems to pop up a lot lately.

UH'S ARTE PUBLICO HEADS UP HISPANIC ART SERIES

by Nilsa Eason

Daily Cougar Reporter

Arte Público Press located on the ground floor of the M.D. Anderson Library will be kicking off its Hispancis Performing Arts Series, July 31, from 3 to 5 p.m., with the screening of, "And the Earth Did Not Swallow Him," at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

Marina Tristán, assistant director for the publishing company, said the film is written and directed by Severo Pérez and produced by Paul Espinosa for PBS's American Playhouse. Both Perez and Espinosa will be present to receive and answer questions.

The film is based on the award-winning novel by the same title. It was written by the late Chicano writer and educator, Tomas Rivera.

Tristán said this book is one of the most important works in Chicano literature. It examines the lives of Mexican-American migrant workers in the 1950's. The novel is used in all Mexican-American and Chicano literature courses taught at universities throughout the country.

Tristán said Rivera's childhood was spent as a migrant worker. He and his family followed crops and worked in the fields. He later became the highest ranking Chicano in higher education as the Chancellor of the University of California, Riverside.

Tristán said The North American Free Theater Alliance will present an English translation of, "Bajo Tierra: A Death Dream," a play written by playwright David Olguin, on Sunday, August 14, from 3 to 5 p.m., at the museum.

The play is about a fantasy/farce of the death of Mexican engraver Jose Guadalupe Posada. As Posada trys to escape death, he and the other characters disguise themselves as historical folk heroes. The play satirizes the events leading to the Mexican Revolution.

Arte Público Press is proud to be sponsors of the arts series, Tristan said.

Both novel and play can be purchased at the publishing office.

Admission is $4 and $3 for museum members, students and senior citizens.

COUGARS END 1994 GOODWILL TOUR WITH GOLD IN 4X100

The Cougar track and field team is well represented by their alumni at the 1994 Goodwill Games held at St. Petersburg, Russia.

Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Sam Jefferson all represented the United States at this year's games. Friday these former Cougars teamed up with Mike Marsh, all on the Santa Monica Track Club, to win the 400-meter relay in a time of 38.30 seconds. Cuba's team finished second, crossing the line in 38.76.

This completed the Cougar involvement for the games even thought they will continue until Aug. 7.

Earlier this week Lewis and Burrell competed in the 100-meter dash, the first time they have run against each other since Burrell broke Lewis' world record. Burrell placed second and Lewis came in fourth.

HOTSHOTS OFFER NEW-STYLE SOCCER

Indoor soccer brings twist to traditional sport

by Chad V. GoGan

The Houston Hotshots went into Saturday night's game against the Detroit Neon at the Summit having won only one home game all season. They changed that with a 5-3 victory.

They changed it by playing better than they had all season. The win was a result of three secret weapons: new home uniforms, a new tenacity and the return of Crazy George.

The Hotshots are the newest professional sports team in Houston. They play indoor soccer in the Continental Indoor Soccer League, a sport designed to take the things Americans hate about soccer out of the game.

So what are the major differences between traditional and indoor soccer?

Rock and rap music play while the game is going on. Organ music playing the "charge" tune and "defense" chant keep the crowd on their feet.

And if the music is not enough to get a fan out of his seat, the Hotshots mascot Pico de Goalie is on hand roaming the stands leading cheers. He is not alone.

Back in Houston after a long absence, Crazy George has signed to work the remaining seven home games. The self-proclaimed inventor of the "wave", Crazy George has been leading cheers at major sports events for 25 years, 18 of them for a living.

Observing the action on the field, one might think that he was watching a game other than soccer. The fast pace of the action and the hard checks into the Plexiglas surrounding the playing field makes the total effect resemble a hockey game.

The biggest sense one gets from watching a Hotshots game is that it is a family event. Promotions for youth soccer leagues encourage families to attend together.

Sponsors like The Discover Zone and the Fox 26 Kids Club set up areas near the concession booths. These areas provide play activities for the younger fans who do not quite understand the game yet.

It is not just the atmosphere that makes indoor soccer a different experience, but the game itself. Many of the differences between traditional and indoor soccer make for a more exciting game.

Traditional soccer is played with 11 men per side, indoor is played with six. In traditional play, a goalie is hard-pressed if he is forced to make seven or eight saves a game. The Hotshots' goalie had eight saves by the end of the third quarter, and finished with 12.

Indoor soccer is played in four 15-minute quarters with a 20-minute halftime break. The field is just large enough to cover the Summit floor completely.

The action is so fast and furious that substitutions are not limited and done on the fly--that is, while the game is ongoing. The clock does stop for official timeouts and the teams each have one timeout per game.

The skill level is the same as outdoor soccer. Nebo Bandovic, the leading scorer for the Hotshots, played Division I soccer in Yugoslavia, Italy and Germany before coming to Houston. He was even asked to play on the Yugoslavian national team, his home country.

In all honesty, indoor soccer is really its own game. It should not be judged as the stepchild of traditional soccer, but on its own ability to draw and keep fans.

As to Saturday's game, the Hotshots had won four of five road games wearing their yellow travel uniforms. It seemed logical that the secret to winning at home was to make the away uniforms their only uniforms.

The Hotshots took the field looking more neon than the Neon. The fans loved it, but the Detroit coaches did not.

Prior to the start of the game, the Detroit coach approached Chico Borja, the Hotshots' coach, to complain.

"The Neon coach said we couldn't wear those jerseys because he has two guys on the team who are colorblind. They even had referee meetings," Borja said. "The yellow is our home jersey now."

Borja also mentioned his disappointment in the teams' lack of toughness and aggression coming into this game.

"We worked hard all week on tackles and crashing the boards," he said.

That work payed off as the Hotshots totally dominated the Neon with hard shots into the walls. It also resulted in an increase of fouls called on the Hotshots.

The new uniforms and aggressive attitude really brought the crowd into the game.

WOMEN'S HOOPS LUCKLESS FOR FALL

The women's basketball team received some bad news when they learned that freshman sensation Pat Luckey will be academically ineligible for the fall semester. The good news is that she will only miss the first five games of the 1994-95 basketball season.

In her rookie year, the '93-94 season, Luckey, a 6-1 forward, was USA Today's Honorable Mention Freshman of the Year and averaged 19 points and 8.7 boards per game, which led the team in both categories.

Luckey also was chosen to attend the U.S. Olympic Festival, where she played on the gold-winning team. In the final game she was 4-for-13 from the field as the South beat the West 94-92.

Luckey will only have to miss the fall semester and will be able to return for the spring semester, which will allow her to play for the majority of the season, including all of the Southwest Conference play.

In high school she led San Marcos High School to the state championship and earned All-American honors. She was selected Player of the Year by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches.

She is the leading returning starter on the team and the only member of last year's squad to start every game.

MOBIL COTTON BOWL FUTURE REMAINS UNCERTAIN

The future of the Mobil Cotton Bowl should be known by the end of this week, conference commissioners pledged Friday as they tried to choose which three bowls would be declared as "Tier I" in the new bowl alliance.

Dallas city councilman Glenn Box, a member of the Cotton Bowl committe, told reporters that if the Cotton Bowl did not achieve Tier I status it would probably cease to exist.

Thursday the Cotton Bowl committe made its final push for Tier I status by increasing its financial bid to a reported $100 million.

The new alliance has developed a plan that would produce a national championship game each year by pairing the No. 1 and 2 teams in the polls.

The three Tier I bowls would rotate the title game each year. The second bowl would take the third and fifth teams and the third bowl would take the fourth and sixth.

The bowl games would be played on consecutive nights. The third bowl would play Dec. 31, the second bowl Jan. 1 and the title game Jan. 2.

The system would begin after the 1995 season.

CITY COUNCIL PROCLAIMS EX-COOG GREAT

Late Whitley honored by city for excellence

The City of Houston honored a Cougar alum by proclamation during the City Council meeting Wednesday morning.

The proclamation honored the late Wilson Whitley, who was inducted into the Southwest Conference Hall of Honor Friday in Dallas.

Whitley played for the Cougars in 1973-76. In 1976 he was named the All-America defensive tackle and was the Lombardi Award winner, given to the outstanding college lineman. He died of a heart attack in 1992.

Rice's Dicky Maegle was also inducted into the SWC Hall of Honor and given a proclamation by the City Council.

The presentation was made by Councilman John Kelley, who also asked for a moment of silence for the late Luther Booker, former coach of Yates High School, who died Monday.

Maegle was given his award first and after brief remarks, Rice head football coach Ken Hatfield spoke on behalf of the university.

Alois Blackwell, a teammate and friend of Whitley's, spoke and accepted the proclamation on behalf of Whitley's family.

"He brought a lot of individuals to a higher level," Blackwell said of the accomplishments his friend made off and on the field.

Bill Yeoman, Whitley's old coach, and current UH head football coach Kim Helton spoke on behalf of UH.

"He was a great football player and a great man," Yeoman said. "He was one of the best athletes I've ever known. This is a great honor."

Coach Helton agreed with Yeoman and told the Council that a picture of Whitley hangs in his office because he embodies what is great about athletes; being a good person as well as a good player.

Athletic director Bill Carr, sports information director Donna Turner and Dr. Linda Reed, who heads the African American Studies program, were also in attendance to represent UH.

Reed directs the Wilson Whitley Golf Tournament held annually at UH. Proceeds benefit UH.

Kelley said Wednesday was a great day for Houston and the two universities.

Whitley took the Cougars to three bowl appearances, including their first ever Cotton Bowl, a 30-21 win over Maryland in 1977, UH's first year in the SWC. He was named SWC Defensive Player of the Decade for the '70s despite having played only one season in the SWC.

Whitley went on to play professionally for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Houston Oilers of the NFL. He was the Bengals' first pick, eighth overall in the 1977 draft.

YOUR OWN SPECIAL MUSIC

Washington, D.C.'s Jawbox do a very sweet job

by Tom Turner

Rising out of the nation's capitol, Jawbox has recently released yet another powerful recording full of great tracks.

<I>For Your Own Special Sweetheart<P> is the latest release for the group on the band's new big-wig corporate label, Atlantic Records.

<I>For Your Own Special Sweetheart<P> utilizes all of the elements which have begun to bring the music and name of Jawbox into the spotlight. The 13-track release is crammed full of original, powerful, in-your-face style of music. A few of the many standout tracks on Jawbox's latest release include "FF=66," "Savory," which has previously been released as a single, "LS/MFT" and "Chicago Piano." These are only a handful of the many solid tracks on <I>Sweetheart<P>.

The quartet joined together in 1989 in Washington, D.C. Jawbox is fronted by J. Robbins, vocals and guitar. Backing Robbins is the tight musical technique of Bill Barbot, guitar and vocals; Kim Coletta, bass; and Zach Barocas on drums.

With the combination of these four individuals, Jawbox ignites to produce "bright streaks of melody, driving rhythms, crunching post-punk guitars and broad swatches of chaos and noise." Simply put, Jawbox creates a sound which hundreds of other bands can only dream of having. Along with this, with each album Jawbox puts out, the fan base for the group seems to expand in vast amounts.

<I>Sweetheart<P> was produced by Ted Nicely, from Fugazi. After the group's last release, there was a good amount of material to drop down onto another album. In fact, this album was recorded in only six weeks. Jawbox has previously released two other full length albums, <I>Grippe<P> (1991) and <I>Novelty<P> (1992)–along with this, the band has also released five 7" singles. The band released its first self-titled release in 1990 on the DeSoto label, with help from the Dischord label.

If Jawbox has struck a chord with your listening pleasure in the past, <I>Sweetheart<P> will definitely not disappoint. Even if you've never heard of Jawbox before, the original, gut-wrenching music of the group will surely lure you into the group's captivating style.