UH OFFERS HOPE FOR GRADUATES LOOKING FOR WORK

by Mark Miertschin

For all graduating seniors who have high hopes and expectations and no clue of what to do to prepare themselves for the job market, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

UH's Career Planning and Placement Center offers a number of different services to prepare students for the professional workplace. The services are free and available year-round.

The center offers workshops designed to give students the knowledge, skills and attitudes they will need to stay competitive in the real world. Approximately 500 workshops are scheduled during the year and at various times to cater to student's schedules. Interviewing, resume and first time job seekers are some of the workshops offered.

Career counselors are available to help students with any questions they may have, and to help them with their job search.

Denise Woodard, internship coordinator and career counselor for UH, is in charge of working together with employers and students to develop work relationships through internships.

Woodard helps coordinate on-campus interviews to make it easier for students to meet with employers and find an internship that best suits their needs. "Approximately 300 employers came to campus last year to interview prospective students," Woodard said. "We have received some very positive feedback from employers. They have had a high success rate and were very pleased with the internship pool of candidates."

JoBank VoiceLink is a service offered by the university that allows the student to access current job listings and information from any touchtone telephone. The listings and information are updated daily, recorded in the employer's own voice and available to any student or alumni.

Steve Hynes, a recent UH graduate, is currently using the service and finds it to be helpful and convenient.

"Not only can I access information within my field, I can do so from many others, at any time of the day, any day of the week." Hynes said. "It's amazing how many jobs there are out there."

The center is planning to expand its services in the future. JoBank VoiceLink will offer a resume database accessible to students and employers and the internship program is planning to add UH Network, a network for internships on campus.

David Small, associate vice president of Student Services, said he is excited about the projections for the coming years and proud of what the center has to offer.

*******************************************************

CURRICULUM PLANS CHANGED BY FACULTIES

by Tiffany Vaughner

UH faculty and professors from other Texas universities met to discuss new strategies to devise a more balanced and inclusive curriculum throughout the state.

The meeting, titled the "Texas Seminar on the Core Curriculum-Faculty at the Core: A New Perspective on Cultures, Learning and Technologies", was held in the UH Architecture building, July 17-23. It was the second of three conferences funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

The seminar brought educators into an ongoing discussion of the changing needs of students -- and how their respective curricula should reflect those needs.

In 1987, the Texas Legislature mandated a core curriculum, to be implemented by 1995, for all 101 public universities and colleges.

The NEH proposal states, "the University of Houston seeks funding to produce the Texas Seminar on the Core Curriculum, a two year series of seminars, workshops and on-campus planning sessions, designed to assist twenty selected institutions in working systematically through the complex processes of devising and implementing coherent, integrated core curricula.

"At the conclusion of the two-year series, the institutions then would be prepared to serve as regional resource centers for ongoing study and curricular reform. Through structured information-sharing, these institutions would provide a framework for statewide reforms in underground education that respond to the present and future needs of the citizens of Texas."

Shirley Ezell, UH associate vice president of academic programs, said, "It became apparent that fewer students were being prepared to deal in an intelligent, critical and creative way with the social and scientific problems confronting our society."

Michelle Miller, one of the coordinators for the seminar, said the speakers and workshops for the seminar focused on multiculturalism, collaborative learning versus didacticism, effectiveness assessment and technology.

She said they spent two days on technology because of the diverse ways in which it is used in the educational field. She gave an example of UH English associate professor John McNamara and his use of instructional television. She said McNamara gave a demonstration of how distance learning could be used to "enfranchise students that would otherwise not be included."

Miller said distance learning accomplishes two things – it brings together a larger, more diversified group of people, and helps educators form hypotheses about how people learn.

She said the new curricula will not affect students who transfer credit hours from other universities. She believes the changes might better facilitate transfer. She said she does not think the purpose of the seminar was to "homogenize" university curricula, but to explore all the different possibilities.

Miller also said she didn't think implementation of these programs would cost any more than the usual amount for starting a new class. She said the only extra cost she could see would be in the buying of new equipment. Any cost incurred by the new ideas discussed in the seminar would be absorbed by the universities.

Miller said the date for the third seminar, which is to take place next year, has not been set.

LOCAL MURAL MAY UNDERGO RESTORATION

by Nilsa Eason

A mural painted by Mexican artist Leo Tanguma on the wall of Crown, Cork and Seal Company, entitled "Rebirth of our Nationality" will soon be the focus of a major restoration effort pending approval from the company.

The project is being funded by the UH Mexican American Studies Program under the supervision of Associate Director Lorenzo Cano.

Cano hopes that if approval of the project is given by the owners of the warehouse, restoration under the direction of artist Roberto Salas from El Paso can begin with the help of some local painters.

When Tanguma, who now lives in Colorado, was asked if he would be interested in returning to Houston to restore the mural, he said no. He said when he lived here, he went through negative experiences and he did not wish to return. Tanguma said, he did not feel respected as an artist in Houston.

Cano said projects like these are not only aesthetically important to the community, but they also put talented young people to work who otherwise would be doing nothing. He said society has given up on talented young people.

The Mexican American Studies Program also sponsored a mural entitled, "Bajos El Sol Tejano" painted at Stephen F. Austin by visiting painter Roberto Salas. Students from a high school helped with the project. UH sophomores Herlinda Martinez and Lisa Rodriguez also helped paint.

Cano said if given permission by UH, he would like to have a mural painted on the side of Wortham Theater. He said it could be done in mosaic rock, which does not fade. Cano said it would add tremendously to the aesthetics of the university.

RAINIER A TIMELESS TREASURE

The mountain rises to a peak of 14,410 feet above sea level and is visible from a large part of western and eastern Washington. Local people call it "The Mountain." The Indian tribes of the Northwest regard the summit of the mountain, which they call "Tahoma," as a sacred place. Officially, it is called Mount Rainier.

Whatever it is called, 365 days a year the mountain, and the national park that surrounds it, offers an incredible variety of recreational activities and a mystic beauty that is almost impossible to capture in words.

White men may have first seen Mount Rainier from a distance on one of the early voyages that brought Spanish and English explorers along the coast of Washington State. The first recorded sighting was entered on May 8, 1792 in the log of Captain Vancouver of the English Navy as he sailed Puget Sound, an inland body of salt water that reaches 75 miles into the interior of the state. Vancouver named the mountain for a friend, Admiral Peter Rainier. Admiral Rainier never saw the peak that bears his name.

In August 1833, botanist William Frazer Tolmie organized the first expedition by white men into what is now Mount Rainier National Park. Accompanied by Native American guides, he explored the northwest side of the mountain up to about 6,000 feet. Tolmie's stories about the scenic beauty, abundant wildlife and exotic foliage brought more and more people to the area.

There were apparently several early climbs of the mountain. The Columbian, a pioneer newspaper in the region, reported a climb in 1852 by four men–Bailey, Ford, Edgar and Shaw. In 1855, an Indian guide named Alec Saluskin recalled leading two men to the summit. He told of steam vents near the top of the mountain and a lake in the summit crater.

The first successful recorded climb occurred in August 1870 when Hazard Stevens and Philemon Van Trump reached the top of the mountain. When they set out, they expected to return in a short time. However, the ascent appeared easier than it was.

After reaching the summit, they found descent impossible, because of approaching night and bad weather. On many other mountains, they would have frozen to death. But near the summit, they discovered steam vents that allowed them to survive the night and to descend the next day to tell of their triumph.

Mount Rainier National Park was established as the nation's fifth national park in 1889. Today, thousands of visitors travel through the park each year. The 235,612 acres that make up the park offer countless attractions to the outdoor-minded visitor, especially for college students. Camping, hiking, backpacking, study of wildlife, trees and flowers and even guided mountain climbing are a few of the activities available. Even for people who can only drive through the park, stopping at the easily accessible view points, the scenery is reward enough.

Besides numerous camping areas and hundreds of miles of improved trails throughout the lower altitudes of the park, Mount Rainier has two high-level visitor centers that are easily accessible by car.

Paradise, located at 5,400 feet close to the timberline on the southwest side of the mountain, has a visitor center that includes a cafeteria, gift shop, exhibit room and an observation deck, plus an auditorium that offers regular presentations about the mountain. Trails in the meadows above the visitor center afford an excellent view of the mountain.

During the summer, wildflowers grow in abundance painting the mountain with dazzling hues. A trail to the north of the visitor center leads to the Nisqually Glacier Vista. The trail is about one mile round trip and rises almost 1,000 feet above Paradise to offer one of the most magnificent views of an active glacier anywhere in the United States.

Sunrise at 6,400 feet on the northeast side of the mountain offers a sensational view of the White River Valley and the Emmons Glacier, one of 27 "rivers of ice" that flank the mountain.

Geology students find Mount Rainier especially interesting as the mountain is a dormant volcano that could show renewed activity at any time.

The mountain is about one million years old – a youngster in geological time. It was formed beginning with the folding of the earth's crust during the Miocene Age 30 million years ago, when a long band of active volcanoes called the Pacific Circle of Fire began to develop.

Other mountains in the Northwestern United States with similar origins include Mount Lassen in California, which last erupted during a time period spanning from 1914 to 1921; Mount Hood in Oregon; Mount McKinley in Alaska; Mount Baker in Washington; and Mount Saint Helen's in southern Washington, which erupted violently in 1980. Scientists say Mount Rainier was at least 1,000 feet higher than it is today. The top was blown off as a result of a volcanic eruption. The last significant eruption occurred between 500 and 600 years ago.

The Wonderland Trail, which covers 90 miles circling the mountain, traversing deep canyons, crossing rushing streams, rising above the timberline and always providing exciting views. The trail intersects major roads so that hikers can choose portions of the trail rather than having to hike the entire distance.

Zoology and botany students spend summer months studying the diverse range of wildlife, trees and plants growing in the shadow of the mountain.

Mount Rainier is a mecca for mountain climbers – from novice to professional. Climbing schools are conducted for all degrees of proficiency. Every year, hundreds of climbers follow the footsteps of Stevens and Van Trump. However, climbing the mountain is a hazardous adventure that should be undertaken only by those climbers that are sufficiently experienced, equipped and fit. Those headed for the summit are encouraged to do so with the long-established guide service, Rainier Mountaineering, Inc.

SCANDALOUS MILES CUT BY BENGALS

Former Cougar running back Ostell Miles' prospective NFL career took a detour Monday when the Cincinnati Bengals released him in training camp.

Miles, 22, was with UH for seven games in 1991. He is the key figure in an alleged violation of NCAA regulations which took place under then-head football coach John Jenkins.

Miles became the starting superback in Jenkins' Run-and-Shoot offense in '91, but left the team in midseason for undisclosed reasons.

He carried the ball 50 times for 360 yards, a 7.2 average, in his six games. He also caught six passes for 39 yards.

Before signing with Houston, Miles was a highly touted junior college running back. He was a first-team junior college All-American in 1990, rushing for 1560 yards on 264 carries, a 5.9 average.

At Cincinnati, Miles played in a total of 26 games, getting two starts in 1993. He scored the team's first touchdown of the year.

A story which appeared in the Houston Chronicle in June described testimony given by a former UH assistant football coach to an NCAA representative May 19. The testimony included allegations that Miles had been provided with apartment furniture in 1991 by football coaches.

According to the former, Miles received a bed, a recliner, a sofa, a love seat, a lamp and a table and chairs from Gallery Furniture in Houston.

The furniture in question was allegedly transferred from a Gallery truck to a UH football equipment truck in the Robertson Stadium parking lot by three assistant coaches. Two of the coaches then drove the furniture to Miles' apartment.

If it occurred, the act would violate the NCAA's "extra benefit" rule. Since it happened three years ago, it is within the four-year NCAA statute of limitations for infractions.

The in-house investigation into rules violations committed under Jenkins' tenure is still pending.

COTTON BOWL PROSPECTS LOOKING POOR

The future of the Mobil Cotton Bowl may have taken a turn for the worse when the commissioners of the most powerful college football conferences decided to unanimously recommend that the Orange Bowl receive one of the three cherished Tier I bowl games.

The Houston Chronicle reported Tuesday that sources have said the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls will receive the other two recommendations.

In the past, Cotton Bowl committee officials have voiced the belief that if the Cotton Bowl is not granted Tier I status, it will fold.

The commissioners will make recommendations to their athletic directors later this week through a conference call. The directors have the power to veto the conclusions drawn by the commissioners but it is unlikely they will use it.

A decision could come as early as Thursday.

FOOTBALL TO START AUG. 8

The Cougar freshmen and other newcomers will report Saturday for summer football drills, beginning two-a-days Aug. 8, while the returning players come in Aug. 10 with their first practice the following day.

With Jimmy Klingler passing up his senior year of eligibility, there is a lack of depth at the quarterback position. Chuck Clements remains the top candidate for the starting slot.

However, the backup position is open. Clay Helton and Brad Woodard will be vying for the that spot.

Woodard, a junior-college transfer, will not be reporting with the other newcomers because of summer school.

Sammie Laury, who is expected to help the Cougar backfield, will also miss reporting Saturday as a result of summer school.

Fullback Bryant Henderson is also not expected to be ready by the beginning of fall practice. After having an impressive spring season, he suffered two torn ligaments in his right knee during late spring practice.

After losing five of their top six linebackers to graduation, the Cougars will have to count on freshmen to replace them. In total the Cougars are returning only 10 starters.

The offensive line returns Jim Herndon and Billy Milner to anchor the tackle positions. The offense will also see two of its wide receivers return from the starting ranks of last season.

On the other side of the ball, the left side of the defensive line is secure with the return of Marlon Foots and Eric Harrison. Half of the secondary is secure with returning starters John Brown at right cornerback and Gerome Williams at strong safety.

HELMET ROCKS LOCAL GROCERY STORE

by Tom Turner

An emptied-out grocery store, a couple hundred people, a lack of air conditioning and three innovative, modern bands, what more could you want?

Sunday, July 24, Helmet, Rollins Band and Sausage converged to meet in the middle of nowhere in Houston at the International Ballroom. This night, at first, left much to be desired, but thankfully as the evening progressed, this concert proved to be a memorable night of good ol' loud rockin' music.

Sausage, the original lineup for modern musical heavyweights Primus, were the first to take the stage on this night. The group is currently promoting its latest releases, <I>Riddles Are Abound Tonight<P>. Sausage's set lacked both stage presence and a general enthusiasm of performing. This is with the exception of the always crafty bass work and odd wit of Les Claypool. If it were not for Claypool's contribution to the band at this show, Sausage would have been an even bigger disappointment. The trio's set sounded almost exactly like its latest release, which contributed to the lack of excitement on this evening's performance.

Next to take the stage was Rollins Band on tour promoting its latest album on Imago Records, <I>Weight<P>. Previews of Rollins Band performance had already pegged the band's set to be a sleeper. Thankfully, Henry Rollins and his group dispelled this unfounded idea with a powerful, aggressive and musically solid set. No matter what anyone else says, Rollins Band was exciting to watch on this night.

Rollins' intensity poured out across the only half-filled grocery store song after song. A few of the stronger songs included "Volume 4," "Liar," "Civilized" and "Disconnect." The Rollins Band's set clearly wiped away the general boredom and some of the disappointment of Sausage's set.

After the Rollins Band cleared the stage, it was time for the headliner of the night, Helmet. The huge amount of distortion that spilled out across the venue as its show opened came much to the delight of nearly all who were present. Helmet is presently touring to promote its latest release, <I>Betty<P>. Helmet's show clearly caught the attention of all who were present, well actually they didn't have much choice, due to the crunching guitar power of the group as well as a pretty interesting light show.

Helmet was clearly the crowd favorite of the night, unfortunately, there wasn't that much of a crowd to witness this night's musical assault of originality, power and intensity.

If the Rollins Band or Helmet happen to roll back into town, be sure to go and check them out. However, you'll be better off catching Les Claypool with his other trio of Primus.