FACULTY PROTEST DEAN'S REMOVAL

by Tiffany Vaughner

In a highly unusual move, UH professors appeared before the Board of Regents to voice their opinions on the dismissal of Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the College of Social Sciences.

Political Science Professor Kent Tedin; associate dean of social sciences, Joseph Carbonari; and associate professor of political science, Gregory Weiher, spoke in support of Rodgers' leadership and asked that he be restored to his post as dean.

In July, Rodgers was not asked to return as dean, a post he occupied for eight years.

Some faculty members in the college felt his dismissal was due to a conflict of interest between Rodgers, UH President James Pickering and then-Provost Glenn Aumann. Professors said they felt Rodgers' dismissal was a direct result of his defying Pickering.

Tedin said he thought there was "some small connection" between Rodgers' dismissal and the proposed move of the History Department to social sciences, which Pickering opposed, but said he felt it was more of a struggle between Rodgers and the administration.

Pickering could not be reached for comment.

In other news, the Board of Regents approved the university's decision to delete a number of academic degree programs, mostly in psychology.

The programs to be deleted are Business Economics (B.B.A.), Nuclear Medical Technology (B.S.), Math-Statistics (B.S.), Engineering-Acoustics and Operations Research (M.S.), Measurement and Statistics (M.Ed.), Communication-Technology and Policy Studies (M.A.), Clinical Psychology (M.A.), Developmental Psychology (M.A.), General Experimental Psychology (M.A.), Industrial/Organizational Psychology (M.A.), Clinical Neuropsychology (M.A.), and Social Psychology (M.A.).

Pickering said the program deletions were necessary because of declining demand for a particular program or the consolidation of several specialized programs into a single degree.

Eugene Doughtie, professor and director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Psychology, said the programs themselves were not being deleted, but that the titles were being changed.

Students in those programs, he said, would receive a general psychology degree. Students would still be able to receive doctorates under that title.

Doughtie said there are approximately 26 to 30 students coming into the Psychology Department each fall.

Dean of Engineering Roger Eichhorn said the deletion of his two programs was no big loss.

Students who would have chosen to obtain a degree in acoustics, he said, were turning to mechanical or electrical engineering. He said students who would have chosen operations research now chose industrial engineering. Because of this, enrollment in the two programs dropped dramatically.

Eichhorn said the programs had been dropped within the department over a year ago and that the number of students affected by the deletion would be "practically none."

The board also approved adjusting Residential Life and Housing Room and Board Rates for Moody Towers.

The adjustment proposes that by lowering rates for returning residents for the least popular rooms, the retention rate for existing residents will increase.

Other proposed adjustments, to assist in raising occupancy rates, include increased rates for the most popular rooms in Cougar Place and lower food service rates due to "student concern(s) over unspent meal money at year's end." The plan eliminates the Diamond and Ruby plans and lowers the rates for new and returning students.

With the adjustments, the UH administration expects occupancy rates to increase at least 5 percent, resulting in a net revenue increase of $73,618. An 11 percent occupancy rate increase would net $611,000.

Residential Housing Association President Shirley Hollingsworth said she thinks the changes are "great" and added that while she understands the reasons behind the elimination of the two most inexpensive food service plans, she thinks the two plans added more variety for students.

In addition, the Board approved the contract award for renovations to the Law Library. The remodeling includes construction of a new entrance from the Krost Hall stair tower to the Law Library. The construction also includes rebuilding inner offices for easier access.

*******************************************************

UH BRACES FOR SWIPE OF BUDGET AX

University's nontraditional nature a minus

Speculation abounds among UH circles about how much of a financial loss UH will take when the Legislature convenes in January.

Among other things, this legislative session will determine funding for higher education institutions.

During the last legislative biennium, the university lost $8.5 million in state funding and received an $8 million hold harmless. A hold harmless lessens the amount of money that was proposed to be cut from an institution.

Besides UH, 31 other state universities received holds harmless totaling $53 million, said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning.

The hold harmless could be taken in the next session if the state decides it needs those funds.

"It's just real premature to make predictions. We are working hard with visiting with members of the state Legislature," said Grover Campbell, vice chancellor of governmental relations, who leads legislative lobbying efforts.

Campbell said the Legislative Appropriation Request was just turned in last month.

The governor required in this year's LAR that all state universities only ask for level funding, Szilagyi said.

In effect, the university cannot ask for any more money than it received two years ago.

Szilagyi said funding will most likely depend on enrollment during the base period, which includes summer and fall of this year and spring of next year.

Additionally, funding will in great part depend on the formulas the state comes up with to determine funding levels, he said.

These formulas, set up by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, determine how much state funds the university receives in a myriad of areas including research, salaries, libraries and grounds maintenance.

The amounts for formula-funded items are determined by base-period semester hours. The more credit hours students take, the more money the university receives.

Unfortunately for universities like UH, with a high percentage of part-time students, formula-funding tends to favor four-year traditional colleges.

He also said funding depends on the revenue estimates the state comptroller makes for the coming two years.

"If revenue estimates are positive, we could enhance our funding," Szilagyi said. "Higher education is one of the few things that is not under federal mandate. We become the variable here. They can hit us easier."

Campbell said a staff hearing on Aug. 31 will give university officials a better idea where they stand with their legislative requests.

He also said that the Higher Education Assistance Fund was increased by $75 million during the last session and will be distributed among the schools this session. State legislators and other university officials echoed Campbell's sentiments that it was too early in the year to determine what will happen in the legislative biennium.

"I don't know what they have in store for UH. We'll try to keep the cuts down to a minimum and I will try to hold up my end for UH," said Mario Gallegos, a Houston-area representative. "We'll be right there scrapping and fighting.We will continue to fight for every dollar we can get."

Gallegos said he was just pleased that in the last session, the cuts were not as high as first predicted.

John Whitmire, a Houston-area state senator and UH graduate, said UH needs to get 10 or 12 of the strongest alumni to fight for UH in Austin.

"We need their help early in Austin and we need to hold the politicians to the promises they make when coming to Houston for money. We need to call in some of those chips," he said.

FACULTY SENATE GEARS UP FOR SEMESTER

Professors eye athletics in wake of break-up

The Faculty Senate will pay close attention in the coming year to the subject of accountability in higher education, said officials of the group recently.

The senate will explore the topic during an on-campus one-day conference in September. Senators will also continue to press for greater accountability from the university administration, from faculty and students and, in a controversy that has simmered for the past two years, from the Athletic Department.

The Faculty Senate, a group of 52 senators elected to three-year terms by the colleges and the library, meets monthly during the school year. The senate makes recommendations to President James Pickering on matters of interest to the faculty.

On Sept. 28, the Faculty Senate will host the Fourth Annual Scholarship and Community Conference at UH. The theme of this year's meeting is "Accountability, the External View and the Internal View." The event will feature prominent speakers from education, business and government.

Members of the university community are invited to attend all sessions of the conference. It will kick off at 9 a.m. with remarks from President Pickering and Faculty Senate President Ernst Leiss. Houston City Councilwoman Sheila Jackson Lee will be the keynote speaker at a noon luncheon.

Other noted speakers at this year's conference include Texas State Senator John Whitmire, UH System Board of Regents Chairwoman Beth Morian and <I>U.S News and World Report<P> Senior Writer Mel Elfin.

Reservations are required for the luncheon. Reservations for the morning and afternoon sessions are suggested. Call the Faculty Senate office at 743-9181 for information.

Leiss, a professor of computer science, said he looks forward to an interesting and challenging year. He added that the Faculty Senate has no set agenda of problems to address, but that it will be ready to act when problems arise.

"We have to react to stories as they break," he said. "We can't program what we are going to do."

One of the problems that most surely will arise is the ongoing controversy surrounding intercollegiate athletics at UH.

The problem, which has been building for years, came to a head last year as the Southwest Conference began to disintegrate. Some Faculty Senate members, unhappy about perceived preferential treatment of athletes at UH, called for athletes on scholarships to live up to the same standards as other scholarship students.

Shrinking revenue from athletic events, decreased interest and dwindling attendance at UH sports events prompted the Faculty Senate to suggest that money spent on intercollegiate athletics could be better utilized elsewhere at the school.

These problems and, as one senate member called it, "an abysmal graduation rate for athletes at UH," culminated last Sept. 10 as the Faculty Senate passed a resolution calling on the administration to abolish intercollegiate sports.

This year, as the university finds itself without a conference affiliation, the Faculty Senate, said some, intends to be a vigilant observer as the school searches for a new conference.

"The Faculty Senate will obviously have to react to whatever is going to happen as far as the selection of a new conference, if any, is concerned. That is something that is not predictable," Leiss said.

"If the university were to decide that there is no conference that they want to be in, the faculty will certainly have a position on intercollegiate athletics. But I don't think the university is going to make that announcement any time soon, even if that's what it is."

Other items of continuing interest to the Faculty Senate are faculty employment and employment policies, the substance and presentation of undergraduate and graduate education, creating effective coordination with student organizations, continuing to review the university's financial resources and the way those resources are spent.

Leiss said he does not expect the questions that arose last year regarding the appointment of UH President Pickering to continue this year.

"There were some people who felt we should go through a formal national search. There were other people who felt that we had an interim president who hadn't made any big mistakes, so why not just make him the permanent president," Leiss said. "Now that he is the permanent president, I don't see anybody pursuing anything like that."

The next regular Faculty Senate meeting will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 31, from 12:15-1:50 in the Kiva (room 101) of Farish Hall.

CAMPUS COFFEE HANG-OUTS GOOD TO THE LAST ADD/DROP

by Valérie Fouché

Ahh, the robust fragrance that is coffee, the New Age addictive wonder drug! Don't get me wrong, I'm not banning it. I'm hooked, too!

I saw a news report the other day that claimed Europeans are amazed at the way drinking coffee has become such a huge fad over here in America. And ... I, too, have to admit that I was a bit surprised at the resurgence of interest in coffee. But after thinking about it, I came up with several reasons why it's not so shocking after all.

Anybody can drink it ­ you don't have to worry about looking old enough or stealing someone's birth certificate for a fake license. Some parents have even been known to serve it to their small children because of the adverse impact it has on them ­ they claim coffee actually calms hyperactivity.

It's pretty cheap, compared with some other common vices (and whatta buzz). Not to mention that it makes for a really great low-budget date.

It's socially acceptable to drink coffee any damn time you please, 24 hours a day. A few years ago, if you drank coffee at three in the afternoon, people would definitely have thought you were addicted to caffeine. Now, however, whether you're addicted or not, coffee at three is cool.

You can drink as much of it as you want. No bartender in town is gonna tell you that you've had too much, even if you are bouncing off the walls, and singing Broadway show tunes at the top of your lungs. (I've tested this theory myself.)

You know, I honestly believe coffee could be a bridge between many generation gaps. Peace, love, harmony and coffee.

So where do you go to get a good cup of Joe? Heck, just about anywhere you please ­ including right here on campus. Most of you have either been by or are regular customers of The Texas Java Company, located underneath Hoffman Hall (PGH building). If you're not a regular, you definitely should be. The Texas Java Company serves up fresh coffee, flavored coffees, ice coffee, espresso, cappuccino, mochas and caffé latté from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Not only is the coffee good and strong, but it might be the only thing keeping your face from smacking the desk in your 8 a.m. algebra class.

Another fine place to get a cup is at Avanti Gourmet Coffee Shop, which is located in the University Center, open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. Not only do they offer a collection of the world's finest coffees, but they also have pastries and goodies to dip in your favorite coffee.

Also on campus is a self-service coffee bar, which is located in the University Center's American Cafe, open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. You can make your own cappuccino or espresso, as well as regular and decaf coffee.

Curious about locating a good off-campus place to hang out and enjoy a cup of brew? Trust me when I tell you that there are way too many to list. Coffee has become so popular that there are new coffee houses opening up practically every day and each one has its own unique charm.

My favorite area to hang out is Montrose, and I believe it offers some of the more eclectic coffee houses in town. You can literally walk from Charlie's to Cappuccino Plus to Brasil to Empire Cafe along Westheimer. Cafe Artiste is also in the vicinity and serves what is arguably the best frozen cappuccino.

Coffee bar-hopping could make for an interesting first date, or may even prove to be entertaining for a group. As a plus, you don't have to worry about having too much and doing something stupid because you lost your head.

My only warning to you fellow lady coffee drinkers is to watch your daily consumption. A very close friend of mine, who was once hooked on caffeine, was experiencing pain and swelling of her breasts. After finding lumps and believing them to be malignant, she freaked out and saw her doctor. He informed her that large amounts of caffeine can cause your breast lymph nodes and glands to swell, causing them to become fairly enlarged and extremely sensitive.

If left unchecked, this can cause other much more serious problems. So girls, if you're drinking several pots a day and are experiencing this problem, cut back and check with your physician.

On that upbeat note, I think I'll go brew another pot. I've only had two cups and I haven't reached my required buzz for the day.

READING SERIES BEGINS

Creative writing program hosts renowned writers

Daily Cougar Staff Reports

The University of Houston Creative Writing Program will host seven readings during the 1994-95 school year as part of the Margarett Root Brown Houston Reading Series.

The season opens Sept. 20 with a reading delivered by Edward Hirsch and Pulitzer Prize- winning author Richard Howard. Hirsch's latest book of poetry is titled <I>Earthly Measures<P>. One of Howard's latest works is <I>Like Most Revelations<P>. Both poets teach creative writing courses at UH.

On Oct. 25, Israeli poet Yehuda Amichai and African American fiction writer John Williams will read from their works. A reading scheduled for Nov. 15 features Rafael Campo and another author.

On Jan. 24, Pulitzer Prize winner E. Annie Proulx will read from her works. Proulx's <I>The Shipping News<P> was given the 1994 Pulitzer Prize for fiction. The novel also won the National Book Award, the Heartland and the <I>Irish Times<P> International Fiction Prize. Poet Marilyn Hacker will join Proulx. She also won a National Book Award for <I>Presentation Piece<P> in 1976.

The Feb. 21 readers will be Lorrie Moore and W.D. Snodgrass, who was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for poetry for <I>Heart's Needle<P>.

Susan Mitchell, poet and professor at Florida State University, will appear with novelist and short-fiction writer Elizabeth Spencer. Mitchell's <I>Rapture<P> was a National Book Award Finalist. Spencer has penned nine novels, including <I>The Light in the Piazza<P>. She won the Dos Passos Award for literature and has been nominated twice for the National Book Award for fiction.

The final reading of the season occurs April 11 and features Gish Jen, whose <I>Typical American<P> was nominated for a National Book Critics Circle Award. She has also received a Guggenheim Fellowship, and her short fiction has appeared in magazines, journals and anthologies.

Each reading will be held in the Brown Auditorium of the Museum of Fine Arts on Tuesday evenings at 8 p.m. A $5 donation is requested at the door. Students and senior citizens are admitted free.

LOLLAPALOOZA HOSTS GREAT MUSIC, OVERPRICED FOOD AND BUY-A-SOUL GARB

The summer show of shows came and went, bringing along a fistful of good music and a pocketful of cash to buy overpriced food.

Lollapalooza ­ the sequel to the sequel to the sequel ­ happened last Friday in Baytown's Houston Raceway Park, the second time the event went off there. In addition to eight acts performing on the Main Stage and four bands on the Second Stage (the fifth, Pharcyde, cancelled due to being stuck in El Paso), there were attractions galore. But, of course, the big draw was the bands.

Lollapalooza has gained somewhat of a mythical reputation since its inception nearly four years ago. It was the brainchild of former Jane's Addiction frontman Perry Farrell to have an event of varied music, politics and weirdness in a sort of contemporary Woodstock.

Since then, Lollapaloozas have featured a host of different artists on its Main Stage and, since last year, the Second Stage, including Ice-T and Bodycount, Front 242, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr., Ice Cube, Primus and Nine Inch Nails.

This year's honors went to, in order, Green Day, L7, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, A Tribe Called Quest, the Breeders, George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars, the Beastie Boys and Smashing Pumpkins.

Green Day launched into its set a few minutes early, a little before 1 p.m., to kick off the show. The performance borrowed generous parts of Green Day's new release, <I>Dookie<P>, and mixed them with old material, mostly off of the Lookout Records release <I>Kerplunk<P>.

What has always made Green Day's Houston sets ­ once last year with Bad Religion and then before that solo at Emo's ­ lively is boundless energy. From pounding out its own songs to playing covers of cheesy heavy metal tunes, Green Day was able to keep most of the crowd into its time slot.

L7 followed up Green Day with a blistering 40-minute set, ripping through the new record, <I>Hungry For Stink<P>, as well as a surprising amount of music from the semi-breakthrough, 1992's <I>Bricks Are Heavy<P>. L7's gimmick has usually been its all-female status, but the band proves time and again that it can kick butts with the big boys. The L7 sound was honed on discs like <I>Smell The Magic<P>, and this quartet has only gotten better.

A lone criticism of L7's otherwise good performance was a problem that hampered several artists, including George Clinton ­ namely, poor soundboard work. Also, the group left out older material, with the exception of "Black Angel's Death Song" and "Death Wish."

As Nick Cave and the Breeders were doing unremarkable sets, Shudder To Think was winning new converts to its collegey rock sound on the Second Stage. With a new release on the way and two solid releases, <I>Ten Spot<P> and <I>Funeral At The Movies<P>, under the bridge, Shudder To Think had plenty going for it.

All around, this year's Second Stage acts didn't match the power of last year's artists ­ Free Kitten, Sebadoh and Tsunami, but with artists like Shudder To Think onstage, there was plenty of promise.

A Tribe Called Quest's show was among the day's most exciting, spotlighting work from the newer recording, <I>Midnight Marauders<P>. Q-Tip and crew were able to translate ATCQ's big hip-hop sound and thoughtful lyrics through the band's 45-minute performance. Most of the best material was given air time, and the raps were rock-solid. No complaints ­ A Tribe Called Quest rocked.

Despite Shonen Knife's concurrent set on the Second Stage, the whole grounds literally came to a stop to watch as George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars took the stage just before dusk. Ostensibly, Clinton was performing in support of his new release, <I>Hey Man, Smell My Finger<P>, but he had more than enough material ­ as in, over 20 years and 20 records worth ­ to borrow from.

With nearly 20 people on stage ­ ranging from longtime guitarist Bootsy Collins to two rappers with skills, one a young blonde woman and the other a balding 40-ish man ­ Baby George and the Mothership do what they always do and took funk to another level.

Clinton's set started out with extemporaneous jams and endless horn cuts, then hopped into new music with different singers. Clinton, egging on the crowd from onstage, soon jumped in with a few classics, including the oft-sampled "Atomic Dog." While he's way past 50 years old, no one this day could match Clinton's energy, intensity and his just plain want of a good time, so aptly shown at this year's show.

The biggest disappointment of his set was that it was so short, denying him the chance to play all the songs that are now part of funk's history ­ "Flashlight," "One Nation Under A Groove," "Tear The Roof Off This Sucker" and others too numerous to mention. Then again, Clinton's usual set goes over three hours, and it's doubtful that even the moshers of Lollapalooza could have survived that.

Last Friday night, when all was said and done, belonged to the Beastie Boys, who literally brought the house down with the show's best set. The trio has a new record, <I>Ill Communication<P>, as well as a slightly older compilation recording, <I>Same Old Bullshit<P>, which delves into the group's punk rock past. This was definitely a show for the hardcore fans.

The Beastie Boys, while most known as a hip-hop group, is also a band ­ as in, its members play instruments. The guys did just that through songs like "Heart Attack Man," "Transit Cop" and "Sabotage," among others. Despite a long tour, the raps were crisp and the instrumentation was great. The boys were keyed up for this one and so was the crowd, well into the thousands.

The only weak point in an otherwise fine set was the absence of the early songs that propelled the Beastie Boys into stardom, like the very first single, "She's On It," as well as the first big single, "Paul Revere," not to mention the biggest single, "Fight for Your Right (To Party)."

Then the Boys also left out "She's Crafty," "No Sleep Til Brooklyn," "Hey Ladies" and "Get It Together" ­ the latter an almost unforgivable omission considering it was the first single off <I>Ill Communication<P> and A Tribe Called Quest's Q-Tip, who duets on the song, was on this tour. Despite the nonfruition of this fertile promise, the Beastie Boys' set still proved to be one of the best.

Such could hardly be said of the Smashing Pumpkins' performance, whining and putridly dull. Early on, lead singer Billy Corgan was met by a cascade of shoes and other objects ­ a reminder of the last time the Pumpkins were in town and a shoe that hit Corgan caused him to storm off stage and end the concert. As usual, a certain mewling imp claimed that nothing was sending him away this time, whining to be left alone. The Pumpkins played, and scores were happy. Whatever. So much for gutsy music.

There were a number of things apparent from this year that weren't the same from previous years. Lollapalooza has gone from catalyst to commodity. Reflect, for example, on what the first two events, in Dallas and Houston, respectively, were like. The Dallas debut featured poets, politics and music.

The second, also run by creator Perry Farrell, had probably the hardest social edge. (What else can you say about an event that features a smash-the-cop-piñata-with-a-nightstick game?) The third was the Big Sellout, where no political groups traditionally invited to come were barred, Farrell was gone and the music was the fringe of Top 40.

With Farrell back for four, though, it was in many ways the Bigger Sellout. The music here was unabashedly straight-alternative and, aside from four booths of boring reformist groups, everything was for sale ­ clothes, jewelry, hats, 'zines. There were even credit-card application booths.

The underlying theme here seemed to reinforce what the artists on the Main and Second Stage ­ all of which were signed to or otherwise connected with four of the six major record conglomerates ­ implicitly stated. Buy alternative. Buy street credibility. Buy a rebel soul. Be a sorry unknown, get marketed by someone (or a major label) as an alternative type and be the next Smashing Pumpkins.

Or better yet, sell your credibility for a label (be that a name, a record company or whatever) and reap the personal profits. Disturbing indeed, but lots of people may have been too drunk to notice.

How will this year's Lollapalooza rate among the others? Hard to say, but, musically, it qualifies as one of the best. While not quite as adventurous as the third Lollapalooza, this year's was hardly as chaotic as the second and more accessible than the first. Smashing Pumpkins (on this tour) is no Jane's Addiction (from the first), but Green Day (this one) is no Rollins Band (first).

Hey, there was free water and the music was good, a great show all around. See you next year.

LAST PRACTICES HURT

Loss of players leaves Helton steamed

Now may not be a good time to ask Kim Helton anything concerning his football team.

The University of Houston head coach found himself in low spirits Wednesday as the Cougars wrapped up their last session of pre-season, two-a-day practice drills in Robertson Stadium.

The Cougars will take today off before resuming practice this weekend in the Astrodome in preparation for the team's season opener against the Kansas Jayhawks.

But Wednesday was not a good day for Helton -- an undesirable situation when your season opener is exactly one week away come 7 p.m. this evening.

Helton was forced to conduct Wednesday's practice with a fifth-team freshman by the name of Aaron Bluit carrying the bulk of the load at running back.

"(Bluit) was playing because (our other running backs) are out getting beat up," Helton said. "And Bluit is one of the few fresh legs we have."

The Cougars have been without freshman fullback Ryan Burton since Tuesday after he sprained his right foot. Burton has seen a lot of time in the backfield this summer.

Projected opening-day starting halfback Jermaine Williams spent Tuesday night in Methodist Hospital after suffering from heat exhaustion during that morning's drills.

And the Cougars are still waiting for word on whether senior fullback Tommy Guy will be academically eligible to play this season.

Nevertheless, Bluit impressed Helton, the rest of the coaching staff and several of the players as his quick ability seemed to catch the Cougar defensive unit off guard.

"Bluit is quick, fresh-legged and has put himself in a position where he could play for us," Helton said.

Though Bluit is unlikely to see much action in 1994, Helton says he feels fortunate to have an emergency runner who can come off the bench and add a fresh spark at any time.

Bluit's performance Wednesday was about the extent of the "good" news for Helton. The most discouraging word was to find out that the team had lost its second starting center in a week.

Following an injury suffered by senior center Jack Hansen on Sunday, freshman Kevin Carter had been moved from the left guard position and plugged into Hansen's spot.

However, following a practice running play on offense Wednesday, Carter went down wailing in pain, prompting trainers to remove his body from the practice field.

Carter was diagnosed with torn knee cartilage. The injury is guaranteed to put the 6-4, 275-pounder from Dallas Kimball out of action on opening day.

"We'll stabilize (the knee) for five days before we will put it in a cast for eight days," Helton said. "But he is fine. He was still laughing and talking just after it happened."

Another sturdy freshman, Ben Fricke from Austin Anderson, may be called on for replacement duty at center.

Minor injuries sustained either during or following Tuesday and Wednesday's practices involved freshman backup quarterback Larry Oliver (toe) and right defensive tackles Eric Harrison (sore ankle) and Carlos Chester (head injury).

A possible precaution for this weekend's drills? "We're not hitting anybody," Helton said.

As of Wednesday, there was no word on the academic eligibility of right cornerback Alfred Young, who was reported earlier this summer to be ineligible for the fall semester, but the school is still waiting on his grade report.

MOORES GETTING TO FIRST BASE WITH PADRES OWNERSHIP

As if a multi-million dollar athletic facility wasn't enough to occupy his time, UH regent John Moores is now looking into becoming the owner of the San Diego Padres.

Moores confirmed his interest in the major league baseball team at a Board of Regents meeting Wednesday. He described the stage of negotiations as being "at first base."

"I'm not going to try to get into the (purchasing) process right now," Moores added.

Reports of his negotiations with Padres officials surfaced in San Diego papers Tuesday. The team finished last in the NL West last season and is last in the realigned West division this year with a 47-70 record.

"I guess if you're a contrarian, you could say the Padres are attractive," Moores said. "I think if you want to be a player in sports franchises, you have to go for it when it's there, and the Padres are there."

Moores was involved in an unsuccessful bid to purchase the Houston Rockets last year, losing out to current Rockets owner Les Alexander.

He has owned a home in the suburb of Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego for five years. His daughter-in-law is from San Diego and runs a software company from there.

'94 VOLLEYBALL TEAM SOLID IN PRESEASON

by Hiren Patel

The terms "hitters" and "spikes" tend to create a visual image of a baseball player hitting dirt off spikes with a bat. That image may not include the Cougar volleyball team, but it has its own set of tremendous hitters and spikers.

Last season, the Cougars had their first-ever win in the NCAA Tournament after defeating Clemson. Even after a successful season, Cougar volleyball head coach Bill Walton sees many areas for improvement.

The major improvements are in the serve-receive area, blocking to make it easier for the back row to pick up more balls and in overall team spiking efficiency.

"The major reason we lost last year is serve-receive, which is maintaining ball control," Walton said.

Walton also said the team needed to serve tougher, but make less errors on serving, and that there had to be better balance between serving and aces. Last year, there were roughly twice as many errors as aces.

With an evenly balanced team of returning players and newcomers, the Cougars have set high goals for themselves.

The team is looking forward to being the Southwest Conference regular season champion and capturing the SWC tournament championship, not to mention advancing to the NCAA Final Four.

Walton hopes the team will play with the attitude of "competitive greatness," where the quality level of the opponent raises the level of the team's performance.

"Our players need to believe they are going to win, that they deserve to win," Walton said of advancing further in the NCAA tournament.

Of course, senior middle blocker Lilly Denoon holds the key to the team's success, as she has throughout her career.

"If Lilly achieves her capabilities, (and) she has to improve on blocking and defense, there is no finer player in the country at her position," Walton said.

Denoon gained the experience to help improve her defensive game after participating in the U.S. Olympic Festival this summer. She helped the West team to a silver medal.

Walton said the Festival should help Denoon shine and that hopefully, that will carry on to the rest of the team.

"The tempo of the game is much faster, and everyone there (at the USOF) is as good if not better," Denoon said. "It's really good experience."

Denoon has an impressive supporting cast. Sophomore Sami Sawyer, the 1993 SWC Newcomer of the Year, is an excellent setter. After adjusting to the new offense, Sawyer finished second in the conference in assists with an average of 11.2.

Carla Maul, a senior starting outside hitter, is also returning. She was the team leader in defensive digs and service aces.

Two of the newcomers have an enormous amount of international experience. Marie-Caude Tourillon and Debbie Vokes have played for the Canadian and Australian junior national teams, respectively.

Tourillon will start as middle blocker with Denoon, and Vokes is in a rehab program to heal her right shoulder. She will probably be red-shirted and only play on defense.

Cortney Williams also joins the Cougars as a freshman middle blocker. Williams won't be a starter, but will get to play in key situations. Walton hopes she will eventually replace Denoon after graduation.

The team will participate in an alumni game Sept. 3, with the regular season starting with a tournament Sept. 9 against Ohio State.

POSTSEASON A NEW PART OF VOLLEYBALL LORE

<B>Editor's note:<P> <I>Last week, when the registration issue of The Daily Cougar was published, an article was written listing all the different sports, their histories and pertinent information about the team. Somehow, the women's volleyball team was left off the list. The Daily Cougar apologizes for the omission.<P>

Since 1987, the Houston women's volleyball team has finished third or better in the Southwest Conference and has advanced to the postseason five times in the last five years. This makes it one of the most successful teams in recent UH history.

The netters are headed up by Bill Walton, the 1992 SWC Coach of the Year. Walton has led the Cougars since 1986.

In that span, they have been to the NCAAs four times and advanced to the second round last year. When they defeated first-round opponent Clemson, it was the first time the Cougars had ever won an NCAA game.

Eventually, they lost to Final Four team Florida in the second round.

Walton replaced Dave Olbright, who coached from 1981-85. Before him came Ruth Nelson, who was made the first coach of the Cougars in 1974.

The player to look out for this season should be senior middle blocker Lilly Denoon.

In 1993 she was selected to compete in the U.S. Olympic Festival, but had to withdraw due to shoulder problems. This summer, she was able to attend and helped her team win the silver medal.

The Cougars play their games during the fall semester in Hofheinz Pavilion. Admission is free to UH students with ID.

NEW PROVOST BRINGS JESUIT WORK ETHIC

Seeks to apply 'equity', 'fairness' to minority issues

Henry Trueba, UH's newly appointed provost, doesn't let the grass grow under his feet.

"He's a person of tremendous dynamism. He's just a ball of fire," said Carolyn Hackler, his former assistant at the University of Wisconsin.

Trueba, a scholar in minority issues, came to UH bringing his special insight into immigrants' problems in adapting to a new culture.

As UH's second-in-command, he became the first Hispanic provost in Texas at a major urban research university. Since the death of Marguerite Ross Barnett, a former UH president, he is now the highest ranked minority at UH.

As provost, Trueba oversees 14 colleges, 14 vice presidents and the library.

Before Trueba came to UH, the university had only one minority in a Cabinet-level job.

Although Trueba said he does not have any major agenda for minority issues, he said he does want to bring equity and fairness.

"Equity cuts both ways. I want to hold them (minorities) to the same standards of excellence," he said.

Born on the outskirts of Mexico City during the Depression, Trueba was the 10th child out of 12 in a family that at many times lacked proper food and shelter when he was young.

Trueba said his father had an influence on his life. As his father did better financially, he moved the family into better areas of Mexico City, where he could attend better schools.

"My father had thousands of employees. He built schools and medical facilities. Through him, I was already exposed to working with low-income people," he said.

Trueba spent 18 years as a Jesuit student, teacher and priest.

As a Jesuit, Trueba had to learn Latin to converse on a daily basis and to read in French, English, Italian, Portuguese and Greek.

"The Jesuits make you feel like you are very special. Once in the order, the brainwashing is intensive," Trueba said. "I always kept a respect for the Jesuits and a resentment for their treatment of the young."

As a young Jesuit, the brainwashing included acts such as being whipped with lead balls and kissing people's feet.

When Trueba left the order, he was serving as a special confessor to priests.

"They told me what they were doing and I didn't want to become like them," he said. Trueba saw that these older priests were not fulfilling vows of poverty and chastity.

Trueba wrote to Rome to ask the pope for permission to leave. Over three years later, in 1965, he was given permission to leave.

In part, Trueba became a Jesuit to work with the poor.

During his mid-20s, he worked with the Mayan Indians in Chiapas as a missionary, Trueba, a linguist, learned Tzeltal and Tzotzil, two Mayan dialects.

While working with the Mayans, he met a group of anthropologists from Stanford University, who almost lost their lives for taking blood samples.

"The Mayans considered this to be like taking part of the soul. The bishop and I got them out of there, and eventually I was invited to come to Stanford," he said.

When Trueba first came to the United States at age 29 in 1961 to Woodstock College, a Jesuit school of Theology in Maryland, to obtain a master's degree, he could barely speak English.

This first year in the states was perhaps his toughest because of the language barrier.

It wasn't until he attended Stanford in 1964 to obtain his anthropology master's that his English improved substantially.

From Stanford, Trueba moved on to Pittsburg University, where he obtained his doctorate in anthropology in 1970.

From there he moved on to Western Illinois,where he served as assistant professor and chairman of the sociology and anthropology departments.

By 1973, he was at the University of Illinois setting up a doctoral program for minority students trying to prepare leaders to work with low-income students.

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, he worked in the University of California system as a professor and department chair.

Eventually, Trueba became dean of the School of Education at the University of Wisconsin in 1991.

Jackie Captain, who was Trueba's project assistant, traveled with him to China where he studied their treatment of minorities.

"His work ethic is still very Jesuit. He works all the time. While here, he put out four books and 31 articles," she said.

Wayne Rabalais, chairman of the search committee that chose Trueba, said they expected the new provost to be an excellent scholar and administrator.

Rabalais said Trueba's experiences as professor, department chair and dean made the appointment to provost a natural step.

"We liked that he came up through the ranks. You want a person with experience at all levels," he said.

There was some initial resistance to Trueba's appointment in the scientific arenas at UH because they believed an education dean might not guard their interests like another scientist.

Trueba apparently overcame their objections and gained their support.

As UH's new provost, Trueba wants to find ways to provide incentives to keep good faculty members from moving to other institutions and to integrate UH better within the context of the Houston community.

"We need to encourage the faculty to give the highest level of service for the sake of the students," he said.

Trueba's vision includes the sharing of information and resources between schools.

His other main concern includes improving the quality of M.D. Anderson Library, although he admits he is not sure how that will be done or from where the money will come.

WEEZER DOESN'T SMOKE

by Tom Turner

"None of these songs are perfect, but I think you can hear that we're trying hard to be honest and real."

This is how Rivers Cuomo, lead vocalist and guitarist for Weezer, summed up the band's first major release under the Geffen Records label. This disc will benefit anyone out there who truly craves good ol' entertaining original music.

Weezer doesn't try to pull off any gimmicks, cover-ups or fancy effects. The band simply follows an idea of playing good, solid, original rockin' tunes, an idea that seems to slip the minds of many bands today.

Weezer is a four-member band that combines its musical and lyrical talents to create a strong album packed to the brim with entertaining songs. The band's style is basically rock/punk. However, one must listen to the band's album to fully gain an appreciation for the group's music.

After this, a simple description of "This is quite simply one of the best CDs I've heard" will suffice.

The 10 tracks on this release travel from slow, flowing tracks to straight, up-beat rock accompanied with a few waverings of punk. "The record sounds kind of weird, but if you turn it up extremely loud and lie down, it can be rewarding," Cuomo says.

Trying to mention the stronger tracks on this album would be much easier by simply saying that each of the songs is entertaining in one sense or another.

Cuomo states, "This album is like a diary to me; each song tells what I was feeling and thinking during a particular experience." He described "No One Else" as the "jealous-obsessive asshole in me freaking out on my girlfriend" and "The World Has Turned (and Left Me Here)" as "the same asshole wondering why she's gone."

Each of the songs on the album has more hooks than one of those goofy-looking fishing hats.

The other members of Weezer are: Brian Bell on guitar and vocals, Matt Sharp on bass and vocals, and Patrick Wilson on drums. Each member displays his own unique style of playing, which meshes together to create a truly original sound.

This album was produced by, believe it or not, Ric Ocasek (the funny-looking lead man from The Cars). The group sent Ocasek a tape because of their admiration for the sound of The Cars. Much to their surprise, Ocasek was very enthusiastic about the band's sound, and the members were off to New York for two months of recording.

Save your lunch money and run right out to purchase Weezer's self-titled release. It is definitely worth the money, especially if you can find it on sale.

If you can't find it, or you simply want more information on the band, contact: David Geffen Company; 9130 Sunset Boulevard; Los Angeles, California 90069.

SHUDDER DISC A HIT

by Tom Turner

At Lollapalooza, Shudder to Think was one of the brighter spots to rise out of the event. The group has just released a five-song sampler titled, <I>Hit Liquor<P> on Epic Records. This release is from the band's forthcoming release, <I>Pony Express Record<P>.

Unfortunately, <I>Hit Liquor<P> contains only five tracks, but it does give a good lead for the upcoming release from the band. On this release, there are two demo tracks, "Kissi Penny" and "Full Body Anchor," which were recorded at the apartment of vocalist Craig Wedren.

The strongest track on <I>Hit Liquor<P> is "Red House," and no, that's not a Hendrix cover by any means. This song is from the band's previous release, <I>Funeral at the Movies<P> (1991), on Dischord Records.

"Heaven Here" is the other track that packs the biggest punch on <I>Hit Liquor<P>. This song appeared on the 1990 release of <I>Ten Spot<P>. Both of these two previous albums can be found on one disc, which is one of the best releases from Shudder To Think. <I>Funeral At The Movies<P> and <I>Ten Spot<P> also contain a strong, and if nothing else interesting, cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic."

Shudder To Think is led by the unique and truly original vocal work of Crain Wedren, who also plays guitar. Stuart Hill plays bass, Nathan Larson plays guitar and Adam Wade is on drums.

Shudder To Think has jumped much closer to the ears of the masses after leaving the Dischord label for the larger Epic label. This will surely bring a great deal more press and attention to a band that has received very little notice up until now. Hopefully, this change will continue to push Shudder To Think toward greater success without leading to yet another great band ending up falling flat on its face after making a big jump in labels.

<I>Hit Liquor<P> is a good lead-in for the upcoming release of <I>Pony Express Record<P>. However, from a monetary standpoint, <I>Hit Liquor<P> is not worth slapping down six or seven dollars at a record store. So save your money and check out the new full-length album. Also, look for <I>Funeral At The Movies<P> and <I>Ten Spot<P>, along with other releases from the band, under the Dischord label.

EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN A DELICIOUS COMEDY

Not since <I>Like Water for Chocolate<P> has a film allowed the audience to experience such culinary pleasures. <I>Eat Drink Man Woman<P> is a delicious comedy that arouses the taste buds and leaves viewers craving Chinese food.

The film was directed by Ang Lee, director of the award-winning film, <I>The Wedding Banquet<P>. It was filmed entirely in Taiwan.

<I>Eat Drink Man Woman<P> is about the basic needs people crave ­ food and sex. The film explores the relationship between parents and children and how their views differ.

Sihung Lung, who starred in <I>The Wedding Banquet<P>, plays the father, Mr. Chu, who is Taiwan's greatest chef, admired by friends and neighbors for his culinary talents. However, he has lost his sense of taste and cannot enjoy the food he laboriously prepares.

Chu is also losing the respect of his three daughters. The only thing keeping the family together is the traditional Sunday feast Chu prepares with pride for hours.

However, Chu's daughters feel compelled to attend the Sunday dinner. They barely touch the food he has prepared, and Jia-Chien, played by Chien-Lien Wu, reminds her father every Sunday he is losing his sense of taste.

Jia-Chien appears to be the least traditional daughter. She resents her father because she believes he made their mother unhappy. She also resents him because he never let her share in his love for cooking, as she is also a great cook.

In addition to enjoying cooking, Jia-Chien also has a healthy sexual appetite. She is attracted to a married man and has sex with another man who is just a friend.

The eldest daughter, Jia-Jen, played by Kuei-Mei-Yang, has been hiding from the world behind her religious faith while nursing a broken heart. She dedicates her life to teaching high school chemistry and vows never to fall in love, until she meets a bumbling volleyball coach.

The youngest daughter, Jia-Ning, played by Yu-Wen Wang, appears to be the most respectful daughter; however, she is rebelling against her father's love for cooking by working at a Wendy's. While working there, she meets her best friend's boyfriend and finds herself falling in love with him.

At every Sunday feast, one of the daughters decides to reveal something. The daughters reveal their desires at the dinner table, and Chu surprisingly accepts their decisions with little resistance. During one Sunday feast, Jia-Chien announces she is going to move into her own apartment. The twist to the film is when Chu decides he, too, has an announcement.

The relationship between Chu and a young girl, Shan-Shan, played by Yu-Chen Tang, is hilarious. Chu secretly prepares lunch for Shan-Shan and her classmates while he eats her mother's bad meals. Tang was incredibly amusing as she and her friends planned difficult meals for Chu to prepare.

<I>Eat Drink Man Woman<P> can be savored at Landmark River Oaks Theatre, and there are several Chinese and Taiwanese restaurants nearby.

PROPAGANDIST'S ESSENCE EXPLORED IN FILM

As she scaled mountains and daredeviled her way through the stark, austere environs of glaciers, it's no wonder people envisioned director Leni Riefenstahl as a female symbol of Nietzschean supermanliness.

Or as the pre-eminent purveyor of the fascist aesthetic.

Or as the embodiment of the Aryan ideal as conceived in part by the diabolical Führer.

Director Ray Müller deconstructs this mythic figure in his documentary, <I>The Wonderful Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl<P>. Ersatz propaganda films that followed such Riefenstahl masterpieces as <I>Triumph of the Will<P> pale in comparison. In fact, her films <I>Olympia<P>, which chronicled the 1936 Berlin Summer Olympiad, and <I>Triumph<P> are considered the measuring sticks by which propaganda and sports films, respectively, are measured.

Her other films included <I>Victory of the Faith<P>, <I>Tiefland<P> and <I>Black Cargo<P>.

Riefenstahl says the witch Junta, which she portrayed in her directorial debut <I>The Blue Light<P>, was like a premonition. Riefenstahl, like Junta, is the ostracized pariah whose erstwhile life continually overlaps with the present as people project the image of the demonic Nazi cohort onto her. She has been both reviled and revered in her native Germany, and is regarded in many circles as one of the last living perpetual embarrassments of the circa-1930s and '40s Third Reich.

Müller, ever the relentless interrogator, parses the significant details of her life, and coaxes her to step backward into the constricting moral and social milieu of Nazi Germany under the Hitlerian regime. Throughout the film, he seeks to engage in coarsened political discourse, but Riefenstahl eschews politics, and he attempts, rather unsuccessfully, to cast her as the poor, old innocent artistic naïf who had no intention of sympathizing with the Nazis or serving as progenitor of the filmic fascist aesthetic.

One thing viewers will not see is an elderly film maker sowing self doubt or self pity. Riefenstahl makes no apologies for her involvement in the reinforcement of the Nazis' image as a cadre of Aryan men of tensile strength, peace and noble intentions. The film is full of interminable, desultory recollections, snippets of Riefenstahl's films, and scenes from her earlier days as the asexual antithesis of Marlene Dietrich.

Riefenstahl ­ born Berta Helene Amalia Riefenstahl in Berlin on Aug. 22, 1902 ­ is the master of protective coloration. Like an animal that seeks to be camouflaged, she mutates with each line of questioning. She presents herself as the consummate artist, the woman in solitude, the business associate of Hitler and Goebbels, his minister of propaganda.

She misread herself as an artist, and negates the idea that artists shouldn't shirk social responsibility. She argues that an artist should be free to labor or create ­ even as gypsies and Jews faced their demises ­ in an atmosphere conducive to such activity.

However, the Nazis, especially Hitler, espoused the belief that art should be didactic and conform to the Hitlerian ideal of art, which did not include subversiveness, licentiousness or anything remotely deviant. The Impressionist works were some of the first to be deemed intolerable and unpalatable according to his schema.

When she realized the SS commenced with book-burning and art-censorship, her image of Hitler was, as she maintains, shattered. She claims to have seen only the gentlemanly side of Hitler, not the beguiling, fiendish, Antichrist-like side of him. Of her last meeting with him, she recalls his resemblance to a withdrawn apparition.

Hitler commissioned her to make films of the party because he considered her to be the embodiment of the Aryan ideal. In her films, he noticed a mutation of what he wanted the Teutonic people to be ­ somewhat enigmatic, formidable and highly resourceful.

Doubts still remain as to whether or not Riefenstahl played a role in organizing and staging rallies ­ she will probably take many of her secrets with her to her grave. Her vehement denial of any "social" relationships with Hitler or Goebbels could make one believe she did in fact know them intimately.

Nonetheless, Müller's film is one of the best documentaries to be released in years, and is a testament to his ability to piece together newsreel film footage and interviews to create a portrait. His crew and he follow her on her undersea exploits, document her relationship with the Nuba tribe and present a portrait of a multifaceted woman trying hard to shake the past.