SUAVE SWEDE CREATES COOL CACOPHONY

by D. McAdams

First there were Swedish meatballs. The Swedish chef followed and a Bjorn in tennis next. Ikea made its way into our country from that land way, way up on the map of Europe. And now its Stephan Karlsson, the 27-year-old Swede who plays jazz.

<I>Below Zero<P> marks Karlsson's third release on local jazz label Justice Records. He plays piano as did his father, who served as Stephan's first exposure to the world of American jazz.

After getting a scholarship at the University of North Texas and earning a Masters in music, Karlsson moved to Denver and continued working on his jazz skills the results? Technically, great.

Whether one really enjoys this CD is contingent upon what type of jazz one prefers. Karlsson, perhaps because of all his later formal training (he is self-taught), has a very structured style of jazz. The arrangements are fairly "tight" and do not rely on improvisation much. The jazz is very contemporary, bordering on what is referred to as "popcorn" (mass consumption) jazz. Of course, not everybody is out to be Thelonius Monk or John Coltrane.

Though the work doesn't wholly rely on improv, no good jazz record would be without <I>some<P> musical noodling and every now and then Perry and Karlsson lose themselves in their art and go where Reid and Smith's rhythm leads them. Of particular note is the title track, a sort of soft, sultry jazz which features every note off Perry's sax lingering on the listener's ears. The sax play is velvety smooth. "El Ontono" pleases as does the opening "Ack Varmland du Skona" which features a cello intro and exit.

Without a doubt, Karlsson is an accomplished jazz pianist. His skill shines through on works like "Infinite" and the smoky "The Night We First Met."

On the whole, whatever one's jazz tastes, <I>Zero<P> satisfies. Karlsson is backed by an excellent ensemble: Rufus Reid on bass, Richard Perry on saxophone and Marvin "Smitty" Smith on drums. Together they weave highly organized jazz licks that lull the listener into a toe tapping, head bobbing state.

Jazz aficionados of all persuasions would do well to snatch a copy of this Nordic jazzman. <I>Zero<P> loosens your muscles, relaxes your nerves and takes you on a trip through the mind of a man who clearly loves his work and his art form -- the beauty that is jazz.

*******************************************************

LEFT-HANDED STUDENT FEE?

Students getting nickeled and dimed regularly

The average UH student taking 16 hours a semester pays almost $400 in mandatory fees, but some students question the benefit of these services.

Generally, students are resigned to the notion that nothing can be done about fees or the amounts of those fees.

"I usually just pay the bottom line," said Rob Legaspi, an undeclared junior. "The university is making a killing, but you have to play the game."

UH students could pay up to 23 different types of fees. Some fees only apply if students take certain types of courses.

One fee students complain about is the computer use fee. Students can be charged anywhere from $10 to $50 depending on number of class hours, yet there are many students who never use computers on campus.

"I don't think it's worth it," said Hai Tran, a junior computer and design student. "I don't use it that much and I have to pay a lot."

Tiffany Wright, a senior theater major, said she uses the computers and sees them as beneficial to the student body.

Some students questioned the General Use Fee and the Student Service Fee. Many students were not sure exactly where the money went from those fees.

The General Use Fee supports the cost for cleaning and keeping available buildings and facilities for student groups. The fee also supports the cost of university activities and operations.

The Student Service Fee, administered by the Student Fee Advisory Committee, funds different campus groups such as Students' Association, Student Publications, Intramurals and intercollegiate athletics.

Most recently, the $15 per semester fee for the University Center was in the news as UC officials asked for an increase in the cap. The UC fee goes for maintaining, operating and repairing facilities.

Other special fees are for students taking certain classes. There's the Cooperative Education Course Fee, $115; the Engineering Equipment Access Fee, $75; Government Sponsored International Students' Fee, $175; the Off-Campus Fee, $30; and the Instructional Television Fee, $30.

Besides the International Students' Fee, international students also must pay an International Student Services Fee, $65, and a Sponsored Student Fee, $80.

Most students are also now accustomed to paying the parking fee or paying the parking tickets associated with not following the rules.

Parking fees range from $9 for students using outlying parking to $63 for a full year's parking privileges.

Wright, who has a parking permit, said she got several parking tickets anyway because the permit was not placed in the right place. She showed proof of her permit, but still had to pay the tickets.

She said she learned that students just cannot fight the system.

Besides parking fees and general use fees, all students must pay a $10 General Property Deposit Fee when they first enter the university. This is the only fee refunded to students once they graduate or withdraw from the university.

Other fees include the Health Insurance Fee, which costs $248 for U.S. students and $251 for international students, while the fee for those taking physical education classes runs from $20 to $30. The late registration fee costs students $20 for not registering on time.

STATE REBUKES TSU OVER PRAYERS

by Marlene Yarborough

The office of the Texas attorney general has issued a formal opinion on whether state universities may conduct and sanction prayers at official university events.

The opinion came in response to a complaint that Texas Southern University was violating the Constitution by starting some university events with a Christian prayer.

In the opinion, Assistant Attorney General Mary R. Crouter said, "Texas Southern University's practice of beginning convocations, faculty meetings and commencement ceremonies with a prayer raises difficult constitutional issues of first impression. A court considering the constitutionality of this practice would have to decide whether to apply one of two analytical approaches applied by the Supreme Court in Establishment Clause cases."

In summary, Crouter's opinion said, "Given the host of difficult legal issues involved, Texas Southern University should closely scrutinize its practice."

Bob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, a national advocacy group, said the group acted on the complaint made by a TSU professor, who Boston said wishes to remain anonymous. The professor said mandatory faculty meetings began in prayer.

Caliph Johnson, TSU's interim counsel, requested an opinion from the office of the attorney general after he received a letter from Americans United warning that continuing the practice of prayer at university activities may open the school to a civil lawsuit.

The two approaches of the First Amendment Crouter refers to are the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause.

TSU President Joann Horton said, "The First Amendment was adopted to curtail the power of Congress to interfere with an individual's freedom to believe, worship and express himself in accordance with the dictates of his own conscience based on the clause of the First Amendment – the Free Exercise Clause."

Sidney Buchanan, UH professor of Law, said,"It is a question of whether the practice authorized by TSU violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution on the theory that the university puts the endorsement of the state on a specific religion."

The Establishment Clause is part of the First Amendment that says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

Steven K. Green, legal director of Americans United, said, "Clearly TSU's prayers are at least Judeo-Christian in nature and thus violate the Supreme Court's mandate that public entities remain neutral with respect to religious matters.

"The Constitution mandates that the government remain secular, rather than affiliate itself with religious beliefs or institutions, precisely in order to avoid discriminating among citizens on the basis of their religious faiths."

Buchanan said the Supreme Court has been tolerant of religious activities in post-secondary education because of the age of the students. However, in grades kindergarten through 12, and when attendance is compulsory, if the state required a prayer to be said in a school context, it would be a prohibited endorsement of religion that would violate the Establishment Clause.

"We have an undecided area with K through 12 in one direction and the university level in the other direction. The college level is the next battleground the Supreme Court has to grapple with," Buchanan said.

This is not TSU's first encounter with the attorney general. In December 1993, the TSU chapter of the Texas Faculty Association took charges of fraud to Attorney

General Dan Morales. Unequal treatment of faculty and incidents of reverse discrimination were included in the allegations against the university.

In April 1994, a spokesman for Morales said it was illegal for the state institution to hold a sex-segregated event when TSU had scheduled a for-men-only speech by Minister Louis Farrakhan. The speech was relocated to an off-campus location.

REGISTERING FOR CLASSES EASY AS V-I-P

by Rosario Peña

Rather than standing in long, tiring lines of registration, students for the first time have spent the first day of school in their classes.

After years of anticipation, students are currently experiencing VIP treatment, as the Voice Information Processing System has finally become a reality.

The VIP system enables students to register and Add/Drop courses via telephone, thus eliminating long lines and hours of waiting.

"I didn't have to wait in line or bother anyone. I just sat at home and picked up the telephone -- a total of 10-15 minutes," said Brenda Wong, a senior MIS major.

Registration has been the easiest thing this semester, many students have said. Students have found they need not skip work or spend the day at registration.

"There has been a favorable response to the VIP system," said Mario Lucchesi, director of Registration and Academic Records.

Telephone registration has been a topic since it was first suggested in 1983 – to not only decrease paperwork, but also to prevent abuse of the Add/Drop process.

First approved by former President Richard Van Horn, the system began as a two-phase plan that had been understudied by various committees. Phase one involved meeting actively to discuss systems at other schools.

The late former President Marguerite Ross Barnett set up a committee called Module C to study implementation.

After more than nine months of implementation, the VIP system was tested in December 1993 for early Add/Drop for the spring '94 semester.

Statistics from that trial period showed a daily average of 5,000 to 6,000 calls. Now that registering via telephone is up and running, there are talks about the possibility of registering from your home computer or any terminal on campus within the next coming years.

The only problem some students have come across is not being able to access the Parking and Transportation Office for decals. Students need only give their Social Security number either in person or by phone. The decal can be billed to a student's account.

There is open parking until Sept. 19. From the registration office's standpoint, the only minor problem was the volume received the first day of fall '94 Add/Drop, as some 12,000 students accessed the system.

"I like it; if the section is full, it gives you other options and other times the class is offered without having to flip any pages," said Sharon Luksetich, a sophomore business major.

Even transfer students have found it easy and convenient to use. According to Jesse Kerr Jr., a business management major, it was different transferring from Houston Baptist University, where they still have lines.

Fall registration will continue through Thursday; however, a $20 late fee will be charged for registration on or after August 25. Phone registration is from 8 a.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning and includes Saturday and Sunday morning until 7 a.m. First-time registrants will need to pick up their fee bills and pay by Sept. 7.

COPING

Some women haunted by post-abortion grief

by Bridget Baulch

"I've killed my baby! I've killed my baby!" she cried uncontrollably as we waited to board our second plane on the last leg of our journey back to Houston.

From out of nowhere, my fun-loving friend Maggie was having an emotional breakdown in the middle of the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. I was totally startled and unprepared for this display of raw emotion.

We were coming back from a five-day vacation in New Mexico, where we had visited a mutual childhood friend and her family. We had a glorious time skiing in Riadosa, attending the Hot Air Balloon Races in Las Cruses, exploring White Sands and touring the Old West town of Lincoln.

I was anxious to go home. Although I had a great time, I was missing my family, especially my seven-month-old daughter.

Perhaps my sentiments triggered my friend's reaction in the airport. Maggie was recently divorced and childless.

"He told me he wouldn't marry me if I didn't have an abortion," she lamented. "It was Tim or the baby. He said he never wanted to have children."

Maggie had married Tim six years before and in the process of planning her wedding, she also had an abortion at his insistence.

I said what I could to console her. I was amazed that after all these years since her abortion, she felt so much emotional pain. I heard about her abortion through a mutual friend, but I had never brought up the subject with Maggie. I did not consider it my business and up until now, she never made it mine.

On the plane, we talked about all the feelings that she had held in check all these years. I said what I thought would help Maggie start loving herself again. Forty minutes later as the plane was landing, my friend was in better spirits.

Melody Blackmon, a counselor with the Women's Injury Network, a legal referral firm for women who have been physically or emotionally injured by abortion, said, "I get a lot of calls from women who are suffering emotionally. The denial is so strong. They lost a baby and its natural to grieve, but they don't allow themselves to grieve because of the guilt they experience. So they just stuff it."

Blackmon continued, "Most women don't go for counseling; and furthermore, most counselors don't want to touch it with a 10-foot-pole because it (abortion) is such a politically charged issue. Only after they are deep into counseling do patients become aware that their problems stem from a past abortion."

Ken Freeman, author of the book, <I>Healing the Hurts of Abortion<P>, published in 1988, said that my friend Maggie's reaction was quite normal, adding, "Post-abortion trauma is very similar to Vietnam Veteran Syndrome. There is a whole laundry list of things that can trigger the patient back to the experience of being on the table again: the first food tasted after an abortion; the smell of cologne the doctor wore; the sound of a suction noise in a dentist's office; a regular pelvic checkup at the ob/gyn; a friend's pregnancy or new baby; or a future pregnancy of their own."

Freeman said symptoms of Post Abortion Syndrome include problems with sexual intimacy, sleeping and eating disorders, sabotaging relationships and/or jobs, closing off emotionally, difficulty in forming friendships, self-destructive behavior and suicide idealization.

A former co-worker friend of mine, Michelle, 32, also experienced a long period of emotional distress after her abortion. Michelle was 23 years old and living in her home state of Florida when she had an abortion. "I left Florida and came to Texas because I wanted to get away from everything that reminded me of the abortion. I still get emotional on that date each year," she said.

Freeman said that in the early 1980s, a St. Louis researcher, David Reardon, studied 3000 women who had abortions and found that 58 percent of them were seriously emotionally affected by the abortion. The model he used to measure these women's emotional health was based on one developed by two psychotherapists, Dr. Vincent Rue and his wife Dr. Susan Stanford, at the Institute for Pregnancy Loss in New Hampshire.

Rue has treated men and women for 20 years for emotional suffering caused by induced abortions, spontaneous abortions, still-births and adoptions.

"There is a 10 percent to 60 percent range of incidents that require post-abortion therapy. On the average, one out of three women might be at risk," Rue said.

"The reason this emotional disorder is not talked about in the mainstream media is because our society is entrenched by schizophrenia and ambivalence about induced abortions. Society doesn't want to acknowledge that men and women can suffer from profound grief. If it is acknowledged, it may cause social policy changes," Rue said.

It's been 10 years since that day in the airport, and although Maggie and I have reminisced on occasion about our New Mexico vacation, neither of us has ever mentioned that time we spent on the plane back home.

Maggie is happy now. She has remarried and is the mother of two beautiful boys.

There is help for women in Houston who may be suffering from Post Abortion Syndrome. One of the organizations is the Crisis Pregnancy Post Abortion Group, which has a 12-week recovery program designed to work through the grieving process.

XERS CARE

'Zine MoJo says students patronize worthy causes

Daily Cougar Staff Reports

The media have branded today's college students as greedy and unconcerned with higher ideals, but in the September/October issue of <I>Mother Jones<P> magazine, Paul Loeb, who visited more than 100 campuses over the past six years, reports that the reality is more complex.

In fact, says Loeb, there are two clear political streams on campuses today, one marked by a "relentless individualism," the other by a "contrasting vision of common responsibility."

Today's students "came of age under the sway of political, cultural and economic currents that convinced citizens in general –including many of those now criticizing students – to seek personal well-being over a common social good." Yet he found that "they continue to hold beliefs more liberal than the general population."

At the same time, says Loeb, students tend to be suspicious of activism. "As a response to the real and perceived flaws in existing campus movements," he writes, "students have begun looking for different ways to voice social concern. Community service projects, for example, let students perform immediately useful tasks like feeding the hungry without engaging in more direct political action….Campus environmentalism has offered another opportunity….Because entry is easy and the crisis self-evident, environmental concern has produced one of the largest continuing student movements in years."

The special section includes a sidebar on campus conservatives and MJ's list of the top 10 activist schools. They include the University of Oregon, Brown University, the University of Wisconsin at Madison, the University of North Carolina, Rutgers University, the University of Michigan, the University of Colorado, CUNY and SUNY, Howard University and Marquette University.

The issue also includes an announcement on MoJo Awards for Young Activists. The magazine is inviting nominations for under-30 activists who have found a creative way to make a difference, rallied others behind a new idea or found a brand of activism that resonates in the '90s. Winners will be profiled in the September/October issue of <I>Mother Jones<P>.

subhed: Young Activists

<I>Mother Jones<P> magazine announces the MoJo Awards for Young Activists, a new program to recognize under-30 activists who have found creative ways to cause change, supported others who have a fresh idea and found a brand of activism that resonates with their peers.

Entrants must be under 30 as of Dec. 31, 1995. Nominations are due by May 1, 1995, and should include nominee's name, address and phone number plus a description of accomplishments (500 words or less), press clips (if any) and phone numbers of three references. Please send nominations to MoJo Awards; <I>Mother Jones<P> magazine; 731 Market St., #600; San Francisco, CA 94103.

A feature on campus activism in <I>Mother Jones<P>' Sept./Oct. '94 issue challenges the stereotype of Generation X as apathetic and uninvolved and includes a list of the top 10 activist schools in the country.

The San Francisco-based magazine, which uses the tag line "Exposés + Politics," has broken scores of important stories in its 18-year history, from the Ford Pinto story to its recent investigations of inadequate inspections at beef-processing plants (à la Barbara Kopple and Upton Sinclair), post-election shredding at the Justice Department and environmental links to breast cancer.

Named after Mary Harris "Mother" Jones, a union organizer who died in 1930, <I>Mother Jones<P> attempts to challenge conventional wisdom, expose abuses of power, help redefine stubborn problems and champion the development of activism and involvement.

CUBAN REFUGEE CRISIS SMACKS OF DEJA VU

by J. Sara Dean Cromwell

In April 1980, an exodus called the Mariel boatlift brought 125,000 unlawful Cubans to the United States' shores. In early 1994, it looked as if it was happening again. Only quick intervention by the U.S. government slowed the influx.

The 1980 Mariel boatlift quickly lifted pressure off of Fidel Castro's regime, as many individuals not fitting in with communist life were released. Mixed in with these refugees and those seeking political asylum, though, were prison inmates convicted of serious crimes and mental patients.

In 1980, it was deemed undesirable to detain these criminal and insane immigrants, although detention of any illegal alien was and is legal under the Immigration and Naturalization Act.

Present day refugees are in a state of limbo. The United States is holding some Cubans in Miami's Krome Detention Center with the majority of them held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno emphasized in an Aug. 20 press conference the desire of the United States to keep pressure on Castro by not allowing such a drastic number of refugees onto U.S. shores, although repatriation of the Cubans has not been considered. According to President Clinton, "The solution to Cuba's many problems is not an uncontrolled exodus; it is freedom and democracy for Cuba."

Many Americans are concerned about the humanitarian side of this complex issue. While cash and other monetary assistance are no longer permitted without special permission, family gift items may still contain medicine, food and other humanitarian items. While the United States government is cooperating with operations such as Brothers to the Rescue, which helps to ensure that refugees don't die during the dangerous trip to our shores, UH Professor Guadeloupe San Miguel still feels President Clinton's "deplorable" change in policy toward Cubans could have "dire human consequences, to say the least."

Russel Contreras, a member of the UH Hispanic Student Organization, voices other concerns regarding the new policy, saying that while it does help to equalize the immigration policies between Mexico, Haiti and Cuba, the policy is "still leaning toward unfairness in favor of Cubans." UH Professor Lorenzo Cano disagrees. Instead, he believes the change is more of an illusion toward firmness between the policies by President Clinton in response to the popular opinion of U.S. citizens.

Arrival criteria for Cubans and other countries are the same, and the Cuban Adjustment Act has nothing to do with entry into this country. It essentially states that the attorney general can adjust the status of a Cuban who has lived in the United States for one year. There have been no efforts, and as yet no intentions, to change this act, even in light of the recent mass arrival of Cubans.

Haitian refugees are currently kept in safe havens, pending "ouster or resignation" of the regime in Haiti, but it has not yet been determined what the processing or status will be in Cuban safe havens, according to acting Secretary of State Peter Tarnoff.

The United States has enlisted foreign aid in giving refugees safe haven, although when Tarnoff was asked who, he responded, "We're going to let those governments make their own announcements."

During an Aug. 24 press briefing, Reno reaffirmed that immigration is ongoing, and also that there is an immigration process. Those who desire admittance into the United States must access that process within the law. In addition, she stated that protection is provided for those who wish to immigrate through the "alternative of legal immigration."

MILNER, HERNDON ANCHOR COOGS

Tackles making things easier for Houston's QBs

David Klingler could have used these guys.

Going into the 1991 season, the Houston Cougar football team had everything going for it: 20 returning starters from a team that went 10-1 the year before, an opportunity to participate in postseason play after serving a two-year NCAA probation sentence and a near-Heisman Trophy winner in Klingler returning for his senior season.

However, one thing was missing: an able offensive line that was supposed to take the heat off Klingler, enabling him to be more effective.

The result was a disappointing 4-7 ’91 campaign, which may well be considered one of the all-time season flops in college football history.

The offensive line gave up 52 sacks in ’91, a good reason why the Cougars couldn't exceed preseason expectations that year.

But while this season's version of Cougar football can't boast all of the talent the ’91 team had, it may finally have the offensive line Klingler could have only dreamed about.

Cougar offensive tackles Jimmy Herndon and Billy Milner are arguably the best tackle combo in the Southwest Conference going into 1994, combining for a total of four years starting experience on the Houston offensive front.

A junior from Baytown, Herndon begins ’94 as a three-year starter while senior Milner is starting on the line for the second straight season after transferring from Southwest Mississippi Community College in Summit, Miss.

Herndon is a preseason All-SWC pick while Milner could also land himself a spot on the team before all is said and done.

"Herndon and Billy haven't surprised me," head coach Kim Helton said of his tackles. "They are definitely two of the best."

They may also be two of the few that are left. Although the team is less than a week away from its season opener against the Kansas Jayhawks, the other three positions on the line are still undecided due to injuries and/or lack of experience.

Freshman backup lineman Kevin Carter has been declared out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Freshman Ben Fricke is also hobbling with a bruised Achilles tendon.

The others, which include seniors Mark Grey and Jack Hansen and junior Steven Williams, have never played a snap of college varsity football .

Nevertheless, optimism has abounded at practice.

"The middle three positions are going to be pretty good," Milner said. "They seem to know all the plays."

"They wouldn't be on scholarship if they couldn't play," Herndon added.

Herndon's physical abilities have not been the extent of his college service. The 6-8, 280-pounder has a grade point average of around 3.5 and is an Academic All-America candidate this season.

"Jimmy Herndon to me is everything people want their son to be like," Helton said. "He's big, tough, honest and smart. There is probably no other in the country as good a person or player."

Before making his way to Houston, Milner was selected as a 1992 junior college all-region and All-America player.

However, there has probably never been a time when Milner and Herndon felt in better shape than they do now following a grueling offseason calisthenics program.

"The whole team is in shape now after the rough offseason," Milner said. "Everyone has gotten bigger, stronger and faster."

"We worked our tails off," Herndon said.

As a result, both say they hope the program ends up paying big dividends for the team as it prepares to open the season.

"We just have to play as hard as we can," Herndon said. "If people say nice things, fine."

"But it's important that we grow as a team and stay together," Milner said. "If we think that way, in a sense, we'll never lose."

David Klingler would have been proud.

TAILGATING GETS GO-AHEAD FROM DOME

The Cougar football team opens its season next Thursday at the Astrodome against the Kansas Jayhawks, and Cougar fans will be opening their season as well.

Aiding the UH football faithful this year will be a new wrinkle at the Dome — tailgating, or pre-game festivities around parked cars.

Astrodome U.S.A. will permit tailgating at both UH and Houston Oiler football games throughout the season after experimenting with it during the abbreviated baseball season.

"It is an integral part of college football's atmosphere to have tailgating taking place," athletic director Bill Carr said at the press conference to announce the new policy.

The entire Dome parking lot will be available for general tailgating purposes. Spaces are free, with one vehicle permitted per parking space.

In addition, section N3 will be available for student groups and other organizations wishing to reserve spaces. Called "Tailgate Alley," the area will feature live entertainment, promotional give-aways, radio remotes and other attractions.

The first Tailgate Alley is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. Thursday. The entrance is located between McNee and North Stadium Drive off Old Spanish Trail.

Some new attractions inside the Dome will include fireworks and Turbo, the mascot of the Houston Rockets last season.

"Once you (the fans) get through your time in Tailgate Alley, you'll have a chance to go into the Dome and experience red as you've never seen it before," Carr said.

Turbo's acrobatics will be focused on the goal posts rather than basketball hoops, but the effect should be the same.

"He is not an official employee of the university, but we have an arrangement with him where he is going to be available to us to display his skills as his schedule permits," Carr said of Turbo, whose real name is Jerry Burrell.

Those who are interested in reserving a spot in Tailgate Alley or who have any other questions regarding tailgating can call 743-8160.

DENOON GOES FOR SWC KILL

by Hiren Patel

Picture the first day of class, the auditorium dead-silent. Suddenly, you hear a yell. The class turns to give the unexpected visitor its full, undivided attention.

The one to receive most of the attention this volleyball preseason is Lilly Denoon. The middle blocker is the offensive firepower of the Cougar volleyball team.

As a senior, Denoon is considered a strong candidate for All-America and Southwest Conference Player of the Year honors.

Denoon said she wants to be considered for and possibly receive All-America honors because it is one of the few individual awards she has not accomplished.

Denoon's impressive resume includes being two-time All-SWC honoree, being selected to the All-Tournament Team at the SWC Classic twice, and leading the Cougars to two NCAA tournaments.

"I want to start off really good (because) last year, I started slow, then to continue to improve as the year goes on to be selected to All-America," Denoon said. Denoon also has another individual goal she feels could help bring more attention to the team. After shooting for the goal of SWC Player of the Year the last two seasons, she said this is her best possible chance.

"All awards don't mean much now. It's nice to receive awards, but I don't think too much about them," Denoon said.

However, Denoon's main objective in receiving honors is to bring greater attention to the team. Denoon emphasizes that the attention she receives is mainly due to her teammates.

"Having the team that I have makes my game better. The 11 people behind me making the passes and blocks make my game easier," said Denoon of her teammates.

Although adding six new players to an already young team might spell trouble, Denoon thinks this year's team is much better than last year's.

"This team is totally different from last year, but much stronger.

Debbie (Vokes) played in Australia for three years, Marie-Claude (Tourillon) played in Canada. Susie (Etheridge) is a great setter," Denoon said. "The team has a lot of experience."

Of course, last year's team achieved its greatest victory in defeating Clemson in the NCAA tournament.

"The victory against Clemson was a big achievement because it tells the team we're capable of doing it again this year," Denoon said.

Denoon said she thought the team was capable of winning the SWC championship this year. Last season, the team lost to Texas in the last game.

Unable to participate in the U.S. Olympic Festival in 1993 to rest her shoulder, Denoon led the West team to a silver medal this summer in St. Louis.

Denoon said the USOF helped improve her game enormously. At the USOF, she played the position of primary passer, which helped bring the level of her game up tremendously.

"I did a lot of things I knew I could, but never did here," Denoon said of her performance at the USOF.

Last season, Denoon started all 24 matches on her way to leading the team in both kills (535) and blocks (167). This season, she should set the school record for kills.

After the end of this season, Denoon plans to first finish her degree. She would then prefer to play professional volleyball outdoors.

Denoon is planning to marry Carlos Chester on Sept. 3. Chester is a member of the Cougar football team.

BOOK COVERS RAF RIFFS

For the overwhelming majority of American college students, the name "Red Army Faction" registers barely a raised eyebrow – if that. Mention the group's media-generated moniker, "the Baader-Meinhof Gang," and it will be fuzzy to even those old enough to admit to disco-dancing during the gang's most infamous days.

However, for most any European, the mention of the RAF brings to mind images of car bombs, high-profile assassinations and equally high-profile hunt-downs. This German grouping, still around today and with over 20 members serving life sentences for acts of terrorism, has machine-gunned its way into the history books as among the most elusive urban guerrilla units of the 20th century.

For all the fear the group inspired, the RAF's hardcore nature also inspired films, writings of every stripe and scores of T-shirts. Today, it has inspired more writing.

<I>Televisionaries: The Red Army Faction Story, 1963-1993<P> is part of a long line of books that seek to tell the story of the RAF, its internal tribulations and the German government's futile attempts to crush it. It is written by Tom Vague, best known as editor of the riotous politics and culture magazine <I>Vague<P>.

The RAF was founded in 1970 after most of the members, all of whom were part of the white radical ghetto, became inspired by militant Palestinians and South American guerrillas. The RAF's leanings were primarily Marxist, with a hint of Leninism, but without the authoritarian structure or dogmatism of other red tendencies. This hybrid prompted the name <I>autonomist<P>, which indicated the communist-anarchist ideology with an unfettered support of international armed struggle movements.

<I>Televisionaries<P> starts out from the very, very beginning – the early 1960s, which formed the politics of the RAF's nucleus. If you thought the States had long, hot summers, Germany's were more explosive and even hotter. Students for a Democratic Society was all the rage, and insurrectionists lurked at every turn.

Vague tells the story in a timeline style, giving days and even hours of events as they unfold. He covers the street battles, the shoot-outs and, finally, the decision of the grouping to become the RAF.

The struggle isn't all about the RAF, as Vague points out, but of a variety of groups that take up the gun in the early days. The names come from history, Uzis in hand – June 2nd Movement, Revolutionary Cells, (the recently captured) Carlos the Jackal, Action Directe, Socialist Patients Collective – and make this book that much more rooted in the context of the times. In the end, though, the RAF comes out of it still kicking.

At the center of this revolutionary group are two not-so-revolutionaries, Andreas Baader, the little-bit-crazy, lot-fucked-up leader, and Ulrike Meinhof, a radical journalist and mother of two turned outlaw. Baader doesn't seem to particularly give a damn about much and wants to be the center of everything, particularly when it comes to leadership positions. Meinhof is determined to wage an international, anti-imperialist war at all costs. The German government is willing to go to similar lengths to jail or otherwise stop them.

Whereas other histories of the RAF have portrayed it as a band of cold, calculating killers, <I>Televisionaries<P>, despite the absence of prose, gives it a realistic feel. There is always a method to the madness, but much of it is just that – madness. Everyone is either on the run, getting guns, in jail or on a hunger strike while in jail. The resulting tale from this is nothing short of fascinating, if not maddening. Calculating? Yes, but sometimes on accident.

The (often inaccurate) parallel of the response of left and right comes out very often in <I>Televisionaries<P>. The RAF makes no bones about its fearlessness in offing its class enemies, be they cops, bankers or politicos, and Vague aptly shows that RAF members take their "business" quite seriously. The German government, at the same time, will do all it can to squash the RAF, even if jailing and extra-legally killing a generation of members only means a new legion of supporters will rise up to take their places.

<I>Televisionaries: The Red Army Faction Story, 1963-1993<P> is available for $6.95 from AK Press at P.O. Box 40682, San Francisco, CA 94140-0682.

DALLAS' DAISY BLOOMS

by Tom Turner

It's always good to see a solid, original band that is very close to bursting out of the Texas music scene. This is the position that the Dallas-based Tripping Daisy is presently in. The group has just released <I>Get It On<P>, a live recorded EP on Island Red Label Records.

The group recorded <I>Get It On<P> at Trees in Dallas during the summer of 1993. The five-song EP is a small sampling of a band that has quite a bit of potential. Though the group has a good deal of work ahead of it, on the present course, big success is a strong possibility.

The EP opens with "Blown Away," the current single from the group and closes with its version of Bad Religion's "We're Only Gonna Die."

"It's Safe, It's Social" and "Get It On" are two of the stronger tracks on this release.

The band also had its debut release, <I>Bill<P>, on Island Red Label, in stores since last July. "Blown Away" and "On the Ground" are two of the tracks on <I>Get It On<P> that appear on the group's debut album.

Tripping Daisy is led by the vocal work of Tim Delaughter, Wes Berggren on guitar, Mark Pirro on bass and Bryan Wakeland on drums. The four combine together to create an aggressive and raw combination of rock with light punches of punk and pop.

Tripping Daisy performed last April alongside Violent Femmes, Dig, Crowded House, Material Issue and the Crash Test Dummies at Edgefest in Dallas.

Tripping Daisy has appeared on the compilation album titled <I>Tales From The Edge<P>. (In case you can't tell by now, the big radio station in Dallas is called The Edge.) The group contributed a track called "Lost & Found."

Other groups that appeared on this album include Adam's Farm, another solid band; Big Car; and a track from the now-defunct Bouffant Jellyfish.

Tripping Daisy is one of the stronger bands the Texas music scene has to offer. If you can't catch them live, give a listen to some of the group's recorded work.

To find out more about Tripping Daisy or to just get on its mailing list, write to: Tripping Daisy; P.O. Box 14047; Dallas, TX 75214.

FLOYD'S SOUND TOLLS ON DIVISION BELL

by Tom Turner

"Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary/ The ringing of the division bell had begun."

The legendary, classic rock of Pink Floyd has returned once again with the group's latest release, <I>The Division Bell<P>, on Columbia Records. After decades of touring and recording, the band has been able to entertain a huge following of young and old fans alike.

<I>The Division Bell<P>, an 11-track release, captures a good deal of the classic sound that has assured Pink Floyd a place in classic rock history. A few of the stronger tracks on this album include "Poles Apart," "Take It Back," "Keep Talking" and "Lost For Words." The album also includes two instrumentals: "Cluster One" and "Marooned."

Pink Floyd is presently made up of David Gilmour on guitar, vocals, bass and keyboards; Nick Mason on drums and percussion; and Richard Wright on keyboard and vocals. Along with these three, there are a string of other musicians who contributed their talents toward this album.

Pink Floyd's history began back in 1966 in London. The four founding members of the group were Roger Waters, Nick Mason, Richard Wright and Syd Barrett. EMI Records signed the band in 1967. Soon after, Pink Floyd found success with <I>The Piper at the Gates of Dawn<P>.

During the following six years, Barrett left the band and David Gilmour stepped in to fill his position.

In 1973, Pink Floyd released <I>Dark Side of the Moon<P>, the album that launched the group into the spotlight worldwide. Six years after this release, the group released <I>The Wall<P>, which also received high acclaim.

In 1987, after Roger Waters took his leave, the group released <I>A Momentary Lapse of Reason<P> and the following live release, <I>Delicate Sound of Thunder<P>, in 1988.

With the group's latest release, <I>The Division Bell<P>, Pink Floyd has already seen a huge amount of success with high record sales and sold-out concerts across the country.

Pink Floyd will always be one of the foundations of classic rock. This has been proven consistently throughout the group's recorded work as well as its live performances.

If you missed the band's recent stop in Houston or are just curious to hear what the next step for the band sounds like, give <I>The Division Bell<P> a listen. Fans, both young and old, will most likely be quite pleased with Pink Floyd's latest.