STONES TO PERFORM VOODOO AT DOME

by Valérie C. Fouché

It's official: The Stones will roll into town this fall.

The press gathered Wednesday at the Hard Rock Cafe for news relating to the Rolling Stones' Voodoo Lounge concert tour. It was confirmed by Louis Messina, Pace Concerts' president, that the Stones would indeed play Houston, featuring Bryan Adams as the opener with the possibility of a third band. Blind Melon has been speculated.

Touring in support of their Virgin Records debut, <I>Voodoo Lounge<P>, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood will tour the United States, Canada, Mexico, South America and the Far East, including Japan.

In keeping with the Stones' historic concert tour extravagance, the set for Voodoo Lounge is said to be even bigger and better than the 1989 Steel Wheels tour, which is considered to be the most successful concert tour of all time. One memorable aspect of the Steel Wheels set was that one of the towers on the stage was so high that aircraft warning lights had to be installed.

The set for Voodoo Lounge has been designed by the same guys who created the set for Steel Wheels, Mark Fisher and Jonathan Park. Fisher, who also designed this year's Pink Floyd show, has constructed a stage made of enough steel to build 80 cars and enough aluminum to manufacture 10,000 Budweiser cans. The tour is also carrying two diesel generators, capable of generating almost 4 million watts of power, as well as eight miles of sound and light cables.

Fans should be prepared for a sold-out show, as the Stones will only play one show in the Astrodome Sunday, Nov. 13. Tickets will go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. at all Ticketmaster ticket centers, including Sears, Foley's, Fiesta, Sound Warehouse, Blockbuster Music Plus and the Astrodome Box Office. Tickets are priced at $55 and $30, with a limit of 12 per purchase. To beat the inevitable lines, charge your tickets by phone at 629-3700.

*******************************************************

CAMPUS CRIME ON DOWNSWING

The beginning of a new school year brings back an enemy of UHPD's which has been plaguing both students and faculty alike.

UH is a campus where a homicide has not been committed in over 10 years. Drive-by shootings, crime waves or the violence of the Third Ward looming across Wheeler are not the biggest problems UHPD is facing.

The most frequent crime committed on this campus is the theft of unattended/unsecured property. There were 868 crimes reported on campus in 1993 and out of that number, 512 were thefts.

As of July this year, there have been 413 crimes reported, with 226 of those being unattended/unsecured-type thefts.

UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis said he feels the campus police have done an excellent job of keeping crime on campus down.

Davis said the last crime wave occurred over two years ago when a single individual robbed several people and raped another in the same night.

"We try to be very visible in the community, which I feel helps stop the more serious offenses. But the crimes of opportunity are still a big problem on campus," he said.

According to Davis, part of the problem with crimes of this nature is that people are not being as aware as they should with their personal belongings.

"A lot of the theft we investigate comes from a student who leaves a wallet, school books or personal item out in the open without keeping an eye on it," Davis said.

Only 10 violent crimes have occurred on campus this year, consisting of eight robberies and two aggravated assaults.

The Official Crime Report shows an increase of six burglaries and an increase of one vehicle theft for the year. The report also shows a decrease of five aggravated assaults and a decrease in thefts by 35.

"Statistically, it is a very good year, and we hope to lower our numbers even more," he added.

Despite no reports of rape in two years and no murders for over ten, faculty and students still need to be alert when walking on campus, Davis said.

"The odds are much greater of having personal property stolen than having a crime committed against your person, but that doesn't mean people can relax and let their guard down," he added.

PHARMACY COLLEGE GETS GRANT MONEY

by Tawanta Feifer

Donations totaling $40,000 will enable the UH College of Pharmacy to prepare students for their emerging role as primary-care givers, said Shara Zatopek, clinical associate professor of pharmacy practice.

A $25,000 grant from the National Association of Chain Drug Stores and a $15,000 grant from the Kroger Co. will be used to set up the Contemporary Pharmacy Practice Laboratory. The new lab will open in spring 1995 in the Texas Medical Center and will have 30 stations equipped with portable laptop computers and four patient-assessment areas.

Patients' medical histories and technical information will be stored in the laptops, while the four assessment areas will allow students to check blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels.

"We want to provide on-line pharmaceutical care so the patient gets the most benefits from the medicine," Zatopek said.

She said the training focuses on tailoring medicine to the particular needs of the patient. The patient is then able to decide which side-effects, if any, are tolerable. If multiple illnesses exist, the pharmacist can decide which combination of drugs will not aggravate the illnesses.

Zatopek said pharmacy students are also trained in prescribing over-the-counter medications, as professional pharmacists are often asked for remedies before patients visit a physician.

John Hammond, director of practice affairs for the American Pharmaceutical Association, said the idea of pharmacist-as-care-giver is not an entirely new idea.

"Twenty to 30 years ago, the vast majority of people did not have private health insurance and had to pay out of pocket. Today, more people visit the doctor for routine things because someone else is paying, contributing to the downturn of pharmacists as primary care-givers and the rising cost of health care," Hammond said, adding that people who are most likely to use the pharmacist are those without health insurance because pharmacists are generally more accessible than physicians.

Treatment in the practice lab is available only through the college's Brown Bag project, which tours retirement homes, churches and shopping centers to encourage people to bring in old medicine in order to have it analyzed. The students get to practice state law requirements that say pharmacists must tell the patient how to use the medicine, Zatopek said.

Because the Health Center and its pharmacy are funded by the UH System budget, Health Center and pharmacy fees will not increase with the addition of the practice lab.

DAMAGE CONTROL SEALS LIPS IN MATH

by Niki Purcell

Math Department officials Thursday refused to comment on cheating allegations against student-athletes, with the exception of a letter to the Daily Cougar, published today.

The UH athletics department came under scrutiny Wednesday when the Houston Chronicle and several television stations reported that former student-athlete Linton Weatherspoon allegedly received payment for taking math tests for athletic and nonathletic students.

Weatherspoon was permanently expelled from UH. However, his sentence was reduced to a five-year suspension on appeal.

"The Math Department should not be held responsible for the cheating ring," wrote Charles Peters, the department's director of undergraduate studies.

UH Provost and Senior Vice President Henry Trueba said Wednesday that the Math Department needs to investigate the three athletes still associated with UH who were also accused of cheating.

"Trueba implied that the Math Department is in large part responsible for this scandal because it failed to effectively proctor exams and discourage cheating, " Peters said in his letter. "I would like to take this opportunity to make it as clear as I can that cheating is not tolerated by the Math Department."

In a written statement, Trueba said Peters was mistaken. "The quote attributed to me, however, is not what I said. I said that in some cases, students tend to justify in their own minds dishonest behavior," he said.

Peters declined to comment about what measures the department was taking to prevent students from cheating in the future.

"Whenever (cheating) is discovered or suspected, there will be a quick and thorough investigation and if a violation has occurred, the department will recommend a serious punishment," Peters wrote.

Under UH guidelines, disciplinary procedures for violating a university policy include notifying the student and gathering pertinent information. Then a procedural interview between the student and the associate dean occurs. The student chooses a hearing in front of the board or in front of the associate dean and, finally, the student is notified of the decision.

The student may be disciplined by expulsion, suspension or probation among other things, according to the UH Student Handbook.

The handbook lists no statutes regarding cheating.

The Math Department plans to make no modifications to their policies and procedures and will continue to base their classes on them, said a source who asked to remain anonymous.

Math Department Chair Garrett Etgen declined to make any comment about the incident.

Peters said his letter is the response of the Math Department regarding the incident.

"I will say nothing on the specific details of the case that brought this on, since apparently it has been re-opened," Peters wrote.

"Clearly, administrators must refrain from publicly saying anything that might be prejudicial to its outcome. It seems to me that Trueba has an equal obligation to refrain from making uninformed statements to the media which might unjustly damage the reputation of our academic departments," Peters wrote.

"My intent was to explain to the media the inherent difficultly in preventing cheating when hundreds of students in large classes must take tests," Trueba said.

MOTHER, CHILD GET FLASHED NEAR DAY-CARE CENTER

by Paige Cessnun

Tuesday afternoon, a UH student and her toddler were flashed by a nude man in the parking lot of the UH Police Department.

After picking up her daughter from the UH Child Care building, directly across from UHPD, the woman was driving her vehicle from the parking area of the day-care facility when she noticed a man in the adjacent parking lot watching her.

The man was in a gold Ford truck. He opened his door, turned his body partially out of the truck and proceeded to masturbate. She was able to record part of his license plate.

The woman immediately informed UHPD, as well as the child's school, of the incident.

A day-care worker said that half an hour after the toddler's mother went into the school to report the incident, she saw a nude man outside a gold truck in the same place in the UHPD parking lot.

Houston Police Department spokesperson John Leggio said nine out of 10 flashers commit this type of crime as a "prelude to something far more serious in the near future" and that as a rule, these criminals are pedophiles.

PROGRAM ALLOWS NEW STUDENTS TO EXCEL

Future bright as freshmen search for mentor match

by B.J. Clark

A new student at UH faces many hurdles that have to be jumped. Along with adjusting to learning how to really study, freshmen are faced with the problem of finding their way around the university.

There is no one to hold your hand and tell you where to go, how to check for financial aid, how to petition a class or just familiarize you with the basic bureaucratic university system.

The EXCEL program, sponsored by the Dean of Students Office, is geared to help incoming students face these types of problems. EXCEL is a mentorship program that pairs new incoming students with experienced upperclassmen, faculty, staff and alumni.

When new students sign up for the program, they will select what type of mentor they want and be paired accordingly.

William Munson, assistant vice president for Student Development and Dean of Students, says the EXCEL program is a valuable experience for mentors because it gives them the opportunity to affect someone's academic life and hopefully give them an edge to succeed in their college careers. Munson has been involved with the EXCEL program since 1988, and he says each student can be a valuable volunteer to the program.

Achieving academic success is a major factor in a student's adjustment to college life, and EXCEL programs provide many opportunities for new students to improve their grade point averages and enhance their academic skills.

EXCEL has been in existence since 1986 and has been growing and improving each year.

This year is special because Ed Berry, assistant dean of students, has recently taken over the program and is initiating a new era. He is planning an "EXTRAVAGANZA" to get students involved.

The "EXCEL EXTRAVAGANZA" will take place on Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the University Center Arbor. It will be presented in a telethon format, with the goal of recruiting mentors and freshmen. Many student groups will be performing, and such local celebrities as Leroy Burrell, Mattress Mac and Scott Sparks of 104 KRBE will speak; interviews will be conducted with UH President James Pickering, Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee and Munson. They will attend to get students excited about the program as they show their support for the University of Houston.

The EXCEL program operates on a volunteer basis, but after getting involved, it could be a valuable resource. The program's main focus is on freshmen and new transfer students – to help assimilate them into the UH System.

"I feel one important goal of this program is to maximize new student success and minimize new student mistakes," Berry says.

Another benefit of EXCEL is that it is quite flexible. After the mentors and mentees are paired, they work around their own schedules to meet with each other and participate in various activities.

Even if it is just a phone call, having an inside link to the university could be a valuable resource for a new student.

Currently, the program has a large demand for mentors. If you are an upperclassman or graduate student and can spare an hour or two a week, you can serve as a mentor. One more benefit of the EXCEL program is it makes an attempt to bring the university's constituencies together. For more information about EXCEL, stop by the Dean of Students Office, room 252 in the University Center, or call Berry at 743-5470.

The EXCEL EXTRAVAGANZA Mentorship Recruiting Drive is scheduled for Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the UC Arbor.

TECH BEST ROAD-WIN OPPORTUNITY OF UH SEASON

Believe it or not, the Houston Cougars could actually be in for some fun this weekend – lots of fun.

After being completely dominated in a 35-13 season-opening loss to the Kansas Jayhawks on Sept. 1, Houston's task at hand 6 p.m. Saturday in Ruston, La., against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs won't be anywhere near as demanding.

Tech (0-1) kicked off its season with a pathetic performance in Waco last weekend. The Big West Conference 'Dogs were heavily outclassed as Baylor threw them for a 44-3 loss.

"If we go (to Ruston) thinking 'Louisiana Tech got beat by Baylor, so this'll be an easy game,' we're going to get embarrassed," said Houston head coach Kim Helton when asked if his team was overconfident about Saturday.

The Bulldogs could only muster 143 yards of total offense against the Bears and committed six turnovers, as Tech got its first- and second-string quarterbacks knocked out early.

Like Houston (0-1) did against Kansas, Tech surrendered a vast majority of Baylor's offense on the ground. The Bears ran for 259 yards, while the Cougars, conversely, fell victim to 346 Jayhawk rushing yards.

"I've seen no proof of the fact that we're better than Louisiana Tech," Helton said.

Houston quarterback Chuck Clements' performance against Kansas was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise disappointing defeat. The sophomore threw for a career-best 304 yards and a touchdown, completing 23-of-38 pass attempts.

On the other hand, the Bulldogs saw reason to smile as well in the form of senior running back Jason Cooper. The 6-0, 217-pound senior scampered for 82 yards on 20 carries against Baylor.

The defense got a lift when it found out senior cornerback Alfred Young will be back for Saturday's game. Young was cleared by the NCAA late Thursday after missing the Kansas game while on suspension.

The bad news has already come. Sophomore defensive end Jason Brown will be out of action Saturday due to a sprained ankle sustained on Tuesday.

VOLLEYBALL TEAM LOOKS FOR FIRST WIN, HIGHER GOALS AT TOURNEY

by Hiren Patel

With high hopes of fulfilling its preseason goals, the Cougar volleyball team starts its 1994 season this weekend at the Buckeye Classic tournament in Columbus, Ohio.

The team has set several goals for itself, one of which is winning at least one of the three tournaments in which it participates.

In the first game of the Buckeye Classic, Houston plays host team Ohio State, ranked No. 5 in the 1994 American Volleyball Coaches Asssociation preseason poll.

The Buckeyes roared through the 1993 season with an impressive 24-6 record, advancing to the regional semifinals in the NCAA tournament.

"An excellent defensive team that picks up lots of balls and forces you to have to scramble for a while," Bill Walton, Cougar head volleyball coach, said about Ohio State. "The question for us is, will our blocking be able to overcome their defense."

"The challenge with Houston is they are a much taller team physically, so our backcourt defense has to have more digs and blocks then Houston," Ohio State Head Volleyball Coach Jim Stone concurred.

Mentally, experience may be a Buckeye advantage, however, physically, its opponents are superior.

"The team we have is not a very tall team, so we rely on quality back court defense and try to make it a transition game," Stone said.

Saturday afternoon, the Cougars will meet Northern Illinois, which has lost five seniors from last season's NCAA tournament team which compiled a record of 29-6.

The Colorado Buffaloes, who captured their first regular season Big Eight championship and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 1993, ranks No. 14 in the AVCA poll.

Walton said Colorado is a difficult team to prepare for because of the swing offensive the Buffs play.

"The biggest challenge for the teams will be to play very consistently," Stone said about the tournament. "Every match will be tough and challenging with each team having their work cut out for them."