JESUS AND MARY ASCEND TO THRONE

by Douglas J. Olson

Fans of The Jesus and Mary Chain will be suitably satiated by their new album, <I>Stoned and Dethroned<P>, on American Records.

Marking the 10th anniversary of the band, the album is a departure from the noise-driven, haunting tunes those familiar with the band might expect.

<I>Stoned and Dethroned<P> was originally slated to be an all-acoustic showcase, but it was changed in the process. Jim Reid, co-founder of the band, said, "Once we got into the studio, it didn't work out that way."

That's not to say the normally cheerful lyrics and upbeat sound fans love will be lost; in fact, like all good JAMC, it's probably best to put the knives away before listening to this one. William Reid said, "The songs may be musically bright, but lyrically, not so."

Although mostly noise-free and acoustically oriented, <I>Stoned and Dethroned<P> still has that definite JAMC stamp on it.

While the 17 tracks on this album do not carry the impact of "Reverence" or "Head On," two of the band's well-known tunes, they do have that <I>Bonnie and Clyde<P>/<I>Natural Born Killers<P> edge. "Bullet Lovers" comes straight from that edge with lyrics that could have come right out of the mouths of <I>Killers<P>' Mickey and Mallory.

Another track, "Sometimes Always," features Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star in a duet with Jim Reid, about the return of a wayward boyfriend. The brightest sound on the album is "Girlfriend," a friendly tune about needles, sin and getting out. Guest vocals for "God Help Me" are provided by Shane McGowan.

Look for tour dates soon, as the band is eager to get back on the road. William Reid said, "We've missed touring; it's all one big family. When you're off the road, you have to make your own tea, and there's no one to call when something goes wrong."

We'll be sure to leave some crumpets by the stage door for you, William.

If you're a die-hard fan, <I>Stoned and Dethroned<P> is going to fill you up, but frankly, I feel it just comes off as too mellow and slow. I think I'll wait for the Frank Black covers.

*******************************************************

INTERNSHIPS PROVIDE GLIMPSE OF REAL WORLD

by Marla Dudman

There are many strategies available for job seekers today, but the Career Planning and Placement Office has one option that offers immediate, hands-on training: internships.

"Internships at the University of Houston and off-campus are increasing," said Calvin C. Chen, associate director at the Career Planning and Placement Center.

The CPPC is presenting its first internship symposium Thursday, Oct. 14, from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Pacific Room of the UC Underground.

"We invite all students interested in obtaining real work experience in their fields prior to graduation to make their reservations now to attend," Chen said.

Titled "Internships ’94," the symposium is designed to offer students the chance to hear business leaders from the community describe opportunities, benefits and expectations that local corporations have for their future employees.

Representatives from Micro Computer Power Co., AT&T Global Information Services and Panhandle Eastern Corp. will each give a short address. Afterward, students will have a chance to ask the speakers in-depth questions to help them assess their educational needs and career goals.

Chen said Denise Woodard, internship coordinator and career counselor, is the energy behind the creation of "Internships ’94."

"Our main goal is to help the students and the employers work together," Woodard said.

"The internship program not only provides assistance to students seeking an opportunity to apply classroom theory in an actual work environment, but it also gives the businesses in our community a chance to assess the quality of our students and the program itself.

"We want to give them both the best."

CPPC counselors will also be present at "Internships ’94" to explain interviewing techniques, current opportunities available and requirements for acceptance into the program. Woodard said she will accept students’ resumes during the symposium in order to expedite the registration process.

Otherwise, students may register later at the CPPC and receive assistance in creating a resume.

Woodard said the benefit of the internship experience is the chance students get to explore their interests and aptitudes, to sharpen professional skills and to obtain real work experience prior to graduation.

"A successful internship makes students more aware of career opportunities in their chosen fields," she said.

Through paid and unpaid internships, Chen said college students can make a better transition from the classroom to the world of "professional work" and gain valuable hands-on experience.

"In the current economy of corporate downsizing, it is an opportunity students should want to take advantage of," he said.

To participate in an internship, students must complete and submit a registration form and provide an internship resume. Opportunities are available for all classifications, from freshmen to graduate students. Most opportunities require the student to have declared a major area of study.

Those students interested in exploring their career options or gaining practical experience in their chosen field of study are encouraged to attend the October symposium to receive complete information on the program.

Admission is free, but reservations are required. Students are requested to stop by CPPC on the first floor of the Student Service Center building to reserve their place, or call 743-5100.

ZTA ZAPPED IN RUSH RIGMAROLE

by Marlene Yarborough

Charges were brought against Zeta Tau Alpha after two members allegedly harassed pledge candidates and criticized other sororities, violating rush rules, said a sorority source who wished to remain anonymous.

The Houston Collegiate Panhellenic Association ruled to suspend social privileges from the UH chapter of the ZTA sorority at a hearing held last Tuesday, the ZTA source said, adding that the ruling will be appealed.

"Social privileges, to my knowledge, include mixers and any exclusive party with another fraternity," said Hunter Jackson, vice president of the Interfraternity Council.

Lisa Henley, president of HCPA, refused to comment about any alleged infractions or what social privileges ZTA lost.

"Social privilege is a very ambiguous term. I don't want to contribute to this article at all," Henley said.

Two ZTA members allegedly called potential sorority members and told them they should rush ZTA or people would not like or talk to them. At the same time, they allegedly criticized other sororities, the unnamed source said.

"Rushing" is the process by which sororities recruit prospective members for their chapters.

Jackson said that under the appeals process, ZTA can continue to use its social privileges until a final ruling has been made.

"Nothing that Panhellenic on campus does matters until we agree to the charges. Until then, we have our privileges," the ZTA source said.

"We want the entire UH campus to think of Greeks as strong leadership. The accusations are petty and do not represent what Greeks stand for," the ZTA source added. "The allegations are serious, and there is no proof. It came up just because three people from three different groups decided something."

The ZTA source said the punishment would hurt the whole Greek community because it would prevent ZTA from going to philanthropic events of other Greeks.

"Most of us feel in a court of law that if the jury is biased, they are removed; Panhellenic doesn't work that way," the ZTA source added. "There is no evidence. Penalties were decided upon word against word."

HCPA members come from Phi Mu, Delta Zeta, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Alpha Chi Omega and Zeta Tau Alpha.

Kelly Morgan, UH Panhellenic adviser, said ZTA is a registered student organization; therefore, its records are private, and records of the hearing cannot be released to the public.

"The hearings are confidential and quite frankly, this is not supposed to be leaked to the press in any way, shape or form," Jackson said.

All HCPA members contacted about the alleged suspension refused to comment.

According to the HCPA constitution and bylaws, "In the case of an alleged rush rule infraction, the president shall chair the conference."

If the conference of delegates cannot reach "an amicable solution" the matter is referred to the Judiciary Committee. If the decision of the Judicial Committee is not acceptable, the matter may be appealed.

ZTA's appeal against the social suspension is scheduled for today.

ZTA plans to appeal at the national level if necessary, the source added.

FRESHMEN CAN'T BE WILD: HOGWASH!

It's quite rare for college students to have a dream come true, especially one that requires money, and a lot of it.

Travis Redding, a 20-year-old freshman mechanical engineering major, managed to do just that. He is one, if not the only, Harley rider on campus.

"I started riding motorcycles when I was 10 years old," he says. "My stepfather brought a motorcycle home and said, 'Here, ride it.’

I always wanted a Harley. I guess I was different from the other guys; they all just wanted to go fast."

Throughout high school, Redding managed to buy a Suzuki GS 1000, then a Honda Shadow. "I bought the Suzuki for $500 and sold it for $1,000, and I bought the Shadow for $1,000 and sold it for $2,000. I needed $2,000 for the down payment on the Harley," he says.

After graduating from high school, he bought his dream Harley with a shiny price tag of $5,700. "That was the price rolling off the floor, but there was an extra $1,500 for customizing. Now the prices have dramatically increased," he says.

Redding owns a customized 1993 1200 Sportster. "I put a larger tank on it, replaced the seat and handle bars and lowered it," he says. "I've always been into customizing. I don't like having something everyone else can go out and buy. I like to customize on a Harley because it's limitless what you can do."

It's hard to imagine a 10-year-old kid riding motorcycles, but Redding comes from a line of riders. His grandfather had a motorcycle, his father had a motorcycle and so did his stepfather.

"I just got into it. It tends to be pretty addictive. Riding started off as a hobby for me, and now it's almost at the point of a lifestyle," he says.

Riding a Harley-Davidson means belonging to a kind of cult. Most Harley riders don't race, but go on group trips the first Sunday of every month. "I belong to the local HOG (Harley Owners Group) and to the national HOG group. We have meetings on the first Sunday of every month where we discuss events that are coming up and schedule the rides," he says.

"One time at one of our rides, we stopped off at a small café and I happened to be sitting at a table with a lawyer, a computer analyst and a businessman. They all were Harley riders. I've even seen the president of the group in a shirt and tie," he says.

Redding says every time he goes out at night, someone approaches him about his Harley.

"Riding down the freeway, any Harley will wave at you, and you are expected to wave back. In the parking lot, perfect strangers will come up and talk to you. People that don't even know anything about Harleys will come up to you. It's even worse when somebody owns a Harley because you get into a discussion. But every time I go out, I have fun."

With Harleys being so much in demand, Redding worries that one day, he may not find his bike waiting for him. "I keep a padlock on it, a cable lock and an alarm on it, and I still worry about it. But I've taken precautions. I live in an apartment, so I worked out a deal with my boss to leave it in his garage. When I lived out in the country with my dad, I used to bring it in the middle of my room," he says.

However, Redding says insurance on his bike is quite cheap. He pays $1,500 a year in liability insurance for his car and only $300 in liability for his Harley.

Redding says he is in the process of changing his major to business. "I am hoping to open up my own shop, maybe even a dealership."

But for now, Redding will be on his iron horse, answering questions for those Harley inquisitors and being the envy of many Harley dreamers.

INJURIES TAKE TWO FROM UH

With another football game comes another injury report.

The Cougar football team learned the status of freshman linebacker Chad Shaw and sophomore offensive lineman Ronnie Price after they were examined further Monday.

While both are listed as doubtful for the upcoming game Saturday against Ohio State, the good news for the Cougars is that both X-rays were negative.

Shaw had three tackles Saturday against Missouri before being helped off the field. He suffered a bad ankle sprain. He has 11 tackles on the season.

Price suffered a knee contusion on the same knee on which he has had surgery.

With both the linebacking corps and offensive line short on depth, these injuries help deplete a young bench.

Sophomore defensive end Jason Brown will also miss Saturday's game. Brown is recovering from a sprain received in the first game against Kansas. At the time, he was told he could return in an estimated three-to-four weeks.

Other players who have suffered minor injuries, such as freshmen Ben Fricke (center) and Louis Hampton (defensive end), are listed as probable.