COUNTRY CONCERT A BOOT SCOOTIN’, JUMPIN' JAMBOREE

by Rosario Peña

Friday night's sold-out country music tripleheader of Brooks and Dunn, Martina McBride and Clay Walker had the entire Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion crowd on its feet.

This fiery night began with the lovely mother-to-be McBride, as she performed a 35-minute set. She has a sweet, yet strong sound that was beautifully displayed in her finale, "Independence Day," which ended with a bang, literally, as fireworks were set off from the stage.

Next, Walker, the "hometown boy" who hails from Beaumont, performed. From the opening notes of "White Palace" to his own renditions of Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" and Merle Haggard's "Ramblin Fever," Walker treated the crowd to a good ol' fun-filled country evening. He even played "Melrose Avenue Cinema II" from his upcoming album.

In a heart-wrenching performance of "Where Do I Fit In The Picture" that demanded a standing ovation, a teary-eyed Walker dedicated "Dreaming With My Eyes Wide Open" to his fans. He sang his newest release, "If I Could Make A Living Out Of Loving You."

Slowing the pace for the emotional "My Heart Will Never Know," Walker wrapped up with "What's It To You." After this 45-minute, 11-song jamboree, Walker exited, leaving many fans chanting, "We want Clay," as the next stage set-up began.

At approximately 9:35 p.m., the lights went out to reveal a storm brewing on the video screens, complete with a rapidly approaching tornado. Onstage, simulated lightning and thunder transformed the scene. With the crowd's anticipation level at full throttle, the curtains dropped to reveal the band.

The sensational Brooks and Dunn performed a 16-song set of favorite hits, from "Burn That Bridge," "Lost and Found," "That Ain't No Way To Go," and "My Next Broken Heart," to "Cool Drop of Water" and "Neon Moon." After their latest release, "She's Not The Cheating Kind," the pavilion was at a standstill when the duo began "The Best of My Love" from the <I>Common Threads: Music from the Eagles<P> CD.

There was excellent lighting throughout the show, especially after the song "Rock My World." Toward the end of the song, colorful light rays flashed up and down, smoke settled onstage and strobe lights filled the stage.

Changing the mood, Dunn began to speak of his wife and reminded the men in the audience to let their wives know they love them before singing "She Used To Be Mine." Changing the pace again, the pair slid into "Brand New Man" before band introductions.

They then jumped into "Boot Scootin’ Boogie," which had Brooks jumping offstage to dance with a female fan while Dunn took pictures of the two. High above the Pavilion roof, two giant nets released black, red and white balloons onto the crowd.

They exited and returned for two encores, including "Working Man," as Brooks came out with a huge guitar that was actually a steam blower. As they began to shake hands with the fans upfront, one lucky fan robbed Brooks of his cowboy hat.

The evening was fun-filled and entertaining for all ages. Brooks and Dunn sent the crowd "boot scootin’" all the way home. For those unable to get tickets, wait in line next year; their shows are certainly worth it.

*******************************************************

CPPC STUDY SHOWS DESIRE FOR SERVICES

by Niki Purcell

The Career Planning and Placement Center released its Summary of Services Annual Report for 1993-94, revealing current students and alumni are utilizing more services than in the past.

CPPC received 53,528 in-person requests for services from students and alumni from fall 1993 to spring 1994.

"The most significant aspect of our findings is that the number of in-person requests has continued to rise since 1988," said David B. Small, assistant vice president for student services.

Small also added that the overall number of corporate employers who use UH to search for employees has increased to 495 requests from 251 requests, reversing a five-year trend. "This implies the overall job market for students graduating is improving," he said.

The report described the services performed by CPPC, including student employment, campus recruitment, career counseling and advising, and internships.

The number of available internship positions decreased by 56 percent to 268 from 604. However, 203 employers listed internship opportunities with CPPC, an increase of 38 percent from last year.

The CPPC had 2,140 individuals participate in Campus Recruitment.

The College of Business had the highest degree of participation with 867 students, followed by Engineering (474); Education (359); Natural Sciences and Mathematics (172); Social Sciences (110); Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication (70); and Technology (69).

"Business majors are most in demand in today's job market," Small said.

Other majors in high demand are computer, engineering, science and technology, hotel and restaurant management, and teaching.

Hotel and restaurant management majors are in demand only if the students are flexible about relocation, he said, adding that teachers are also in demand only if they are bilingual or have experience in special education.

Alumni Career Services had 97 alumni request full services and 795 request the JOBank service.

The largest number of service requests came from the College of Business Administration with 14,257, an increase of 6 percent.

It was followed by Engineering (8,743); Natural Sciences and Mathematics (4,194); Social Sciences (3,863); Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication (3,377); and Education (2,709).

The most prevalent users of CPPC were seniors with 15,059.

This was followed by graduate students (7,128) and juniors (5,639).

Two-thousand-one-hundred-and-forty students and alumni participated in 5,698 on-campus interviews with 398 employers.

In February, the Texas Job Fair, a product of CPPC, attracted 844 UH students, 573 non-UH students and 59 employers.

In addition to CPPC's Annual Report, they also released a Campus Recruitment Survey.

According to Small, a 30 percent return was received for the survey given to employers conducting interviews on campus. They were given the surveys before the interviews and were expected to return them after the conclusion of the interviews.

Once CPPC has compiled the results, the counselors use the information to prepare students for future interviews. The results are also mailed to 350 offices on campus.

From the survey, employers generally agreed that the CPPC should be used as a model by other universities.

They also agreed the students interviewed were especially well-prepared, but need to be aware of the value of the first impression.

In the way of curriculum, business students need at least 12 hours of accounting, work experience in a business environment, computer skills and bilingual abilities, according to the survey.

Alumni already on the job were said to be goal-orientated, very professional and committed to achieving success.

BUSINESS COLLEGE OWED $600,000

by Patricia Davis

The Madrid Business School, the international, private partner school to the UH College of Business Administration's MBA program, closed its doors Sept. 1 and left UH holding the bag.

Julie Norris, director of the Office of Sponsored Programs, said the failed Spanish school owes UH "in the neighborhood of $600,000."

Jack Ivancevich, dean of the College of Business Administration, said the school's closing also stranded 53 international students who were here for a summer program. The students, who expected to go home this fall, now have to remain until May 1995 if they want to complete their degrees.

"We have a moral and ethical obligation to accommodate these students; about 38 to 40 will finish here and receive a UH degree," Ivancevich said. If the students finished in Madrid, they would have received a private MBA degree.

Ivancevich said the university is pursuing several avenues, including legal action, in an effort to recover the money that represents room and board, tuition and teacher salaries from as far back as January 1993.

"We have a fiduciary responsibility to collect every penny the school owes," Ivancevich said.

Norris said UH collected $245,000 toward present and past debt above the $600,000 this summer. However, the Spanish school has since filed bankruptcy in accordance with Spanish law. Bankruptcy could make it more difficult to collect the debt.

The Bank of Spain seized the Madrid school's single, major backer, Banco Español de Credito (Banesto), in late December.

Mario Conde, president of Banesto until the takeover, was president of the school's Advisory Board. Several other Banesto officers served on the board.

Ivancevich said that without Banesto to subsidize the school, it couldn't remain open.

"It takes an international venture like this eight to 10 years to get its feet on the ground," Ivancevich said. The school opened in May 1988.

The school was a partnership between UH, which provided faculty, curriculum and oversight, and the Yago Group Hispaña, a consortium headed by Banesto.

In its six years, the school graduated 350 MBA students from all over the world.

Dan Currie, UH coordinator to the Madrid Business School, said that although recruitment was down, the school had a strong academic program and its graduates were immediately accepted into the marketplace.

"They were losing money, that's clear – financially, they were not a success, but academically, they were a success from day one," Currie said.

"The faculty did an outstanding job," Ivancevich said. "Now we have an experienced faculty of 26 people who have developed internationally."

Ivancevich said he hopes this experience does not prevent UH from becoming involved in other joint ventures.

"We must be engaged internationally," Ivancevich said. "We would do it again. It's important to the college."

'SEE RED' – SNARE GREEN

Athletics initiates new PR program to boost business

The fall semester has begun, and UH is launching an advertising campaign to shed new light on a rather tarnished athletic reputation.

With recent scandals, poor playing performances and low home-game attendance, the athletic department is attempting to dazzle the Houston community with its million-dollar "See Red" advertising campaign.

Funding for this campaign came out of a $4 million donation to UH by the Cullen Foundation. Two million dollars was given to the athletic department, with the rest going to promoting the campus as a whole.

"It is very unusual for the foundation to donate money to an athletic program, but we want to help recast the image UH has in the business community," said Alan Stewart, director of the Cullen Foundation. "The athletic department is part of what we want people to realize that UH has to offer."

Of the athletic department share, $1.1 million was used to promote the football and basketball teams due in part to the split of the Southwest Conference. The other $900,000 was spent to promote nonrevenue sports and student services to the athletes.

"We have a lot of competition in Houston for entertainment dollars, so we need the campaign to keep people in the stands after the Southwest Conference break-up," said Geri Konigsberg, UH director of Media Relations.

With UH still looking for a home after the SWC break-up, UH athletic director Bill Carr said the campaign is designed to raise the level of home-game attendance.

"We did not have a good year on the field (in 1993) and with a young (football) team, we need the campaign to bring in more external revenue," Carr said.

He added that UH has not made a decision, but is thinking of going into a conference of Division 1-A independent schools. This conference would consist of schools from the Great Midwest and Metro athletic conferences.

"This conference will be a positive move for the school (UH) because we will have a football lineup comparable to the SWC and a superior lineup (to the SWC) in basketball.

"But whatever conference we decide to join, we need to raise our attendance levels to remain competitive," Carr added.

The 1993 football season recorded an average attendance of 17,651. This is the lowest attendance record the football team has had, with the exception of the 1986 season, since 1951.

According to figures released by the UH sports information department, attendance for the first two home games of the 1994 season totaled 18,150 and 18,310 respectively.

"We need to get people excited about the games and in the stands, because the major conferences want an average attendance of 30,000 every home game," said Beth Morian, president of the UH Board of Regents.

The UH Volunteer Program appears to have helped the attendance problem by instituting a massive sales campaign to boost season ticket holders. The program is based on the one used by the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Thousands of volunteers manned a phone bank to call the Houston business community, send mail-outs and conduct face-to-face sales promotions. This program has sold 8,500 season tickets for this season, an increase from last season's number of 6,000.

"It is important to give the next generation something to build on because no one needs to be associated with a failure, whether it be athletic or academic," said Glenn Lilie, coordinator for the program.

Wendy Adair, director of UH Media Relations, said a very specific campaign was researched and designed for the athletic department back in the spring of 1993.

"We have put the money into the 'See Red’ campaign because we had targeted that area first and we wanted a highly visible campaign," Adair said.

"Now we use the other half of the donation to target a university-wide impact on student recruitment and student retention."

Adair also said the other $2 million will be put to use in the Student Emergency Fund and for improving visitor treatment.

THIRD WARD YOUTHS FIND SUPPORT

by Paige Cessun

Community programs in the Third Ward, an area that borders the University of Houston, are offering a variety of ways to help neglected children and the homeless in the area.

Doris Lofton, a representative of Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, said the church's spiritual program takes a preventative approach to social crises by teaching children how to respond to community problems.

For example, workers at Wheeler Baptist are trying to teach children how to have a strong, convincing reaction should they be confronted by potentially dangerous situations.

Lofton said ministry is not only needed in the church, but out in the community. Lofton said what most of these troubled kids need is a sense of leadership to help them prepare to cope in the adult world. Workers at the church offer job education, skills seminars and other training.

Lofton said though they minister all kids in need, the church workers' efforts are concentrated on young men through the program "Rights of Passage."

The black male role model has fallen, she said, and it is particularly hard for young black men to overcome generations of poverty, abuse and neglect.

In this program, Lofton said the ministry addresses what is involved in "being a man." Lofton said many participants of the program at Wheeler Baptist continue on to college with scholarships.

Sheldon Stovall, executive director for the South Central YMCA, said too many minds and spirits of inner-city youth have been victimized. He added the Judeo-Christian approach taken in helping black families in the Third Ward is successful because, aside from the typical offerings of most YMCA facilities, his operation has guidance and education services available. The YMCA also offers subsidized services to those who qualify.

The South Central YMCA has housing available for men in need of inexpensive, temporary housing, Stovall added. He said his organization works with several agencies in the community to offer housing to homeless men of all ages.

Children's Protective Services spokeswoman Judy Hay said the Third Ward has high levels of child-abuse reportage, and hence the neighborhood has one of five Family Outreach centers in Houston. Operated by CPS, the center offers counseling and other social services to the entire family.

HPD spokesman John Leggio said juvenile crime is on the rise in Houston, as well as across the country. He attributed most of the recent trend to the disintegration of the family unit and cautioned the public not to be controlled by news reports and fear.

Most juvenile crime in Houston occurs in the far southwest side of the city, Leggio said, and that most juvenile offenders live in the north. Leggio also said felony crime continues to drop overall and that the Third Ward is not particularly more dangerous than many other parts of the city.

ASBESTOS

Quad's Law Hall coughs up dust

by Catherine Cykowski

The UH Department of Environmental and Physical Safety recently removed floor tiles containing asbestos during renovations at Law Hall.

The EPSD first conducted tests for asbestos in Law Hall after it was notified of pipe-insulation damage in the renovation area on Aug. 30.

The floor tiles in the renovation area were tested and found to contain asbestos. Removal of the floor tile was recommended by McKee Environmental Health, an environmental services contractor.

The floor tiles in the area were removed, and the asbestos abatement was completed by Sept. 4.

The asbestos was removed using filters that trap contaminated air and keep asbestos fibers from being released. Final tests by McKee showed a level of less than .01 fibers per cubic centimeter.

Environmental Protection Agency regulations require an asbestos level of 0.01 fibers or less in a general public area like UH.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations allow a standard exposure of 0.1 fibers per cubic centimeter over an eight-hour period. Following the abatement process in Law Hall, tests showed a level of less than 0.01 fibers per cubic centimeter.

According to EPA regulations, asbestos has to be removed when it is disturbed.

"The EPA recommends that areas containing asbestos be inspected and monitored. A lot of asbestos removal is because of renovations," EPSD Director Timothy Ryan said.

"Asbestos is in the walls and ceilings and in various other places. We usually leave it until we have to renovate," Ryan said.

Asbestos is found in numerous commercial products, such as thermal insulation and floor tiles. Over 40 buildings on campus have asbestos, but it is usually left alone until the material is upset or renovations are necessary.

Asbestos can be harmful if inhaled or ingested. Studies of asbestos workers have associated exposure to asbestos with a higher risk of developing lung cancer and mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung.

Executive Director of Residential Life and Housing Ahmad Kashani said precautions were taken to keep students from the site while the removal was conducted.

"We evacuated the first floor and put residents in other rooms while the work was being done," Kashani said.

Students were moved into Moody Towers, and locks were changed to keep students out of the area.

EPSD Manager Harry Stenvall said there is no danger to students in Law Hall. The site was inspected and approved by the City of Houston Bureau of Air Quality Control.

COFFEE HOUSES GOOD TO THE LAST KLATCH

One balmy evening less than a year ago, I walked from the land of preconceived notions into the land of the raggedy edge of the real.

Into a coffee house, that is.

The occasion was a poetry reading, for which my services had been solicited. The place, the former Escondido, didn't meet all of my expectations. For example, any romantic notions – stirred by beatnik redux and visions of jazz quartets rendering copacetic improvisations – were quickly cast aside.

I had this sort of backward idea that novelists and poets in the nascent phases of their careers would abound, with coffee-stained character sketches and crumpled pieces of paper strewn about an unfinished wooden table.

But alas, this was not the case. I never saw anyone pull out a laptop computer, nor did I see a neurotic writer cave in under the weight of mythos, metonymy, metaphor or metafiction.

The place, nevertheless, had charm.

A few twentysomething cads shooting pool. Votive candles featuring such Christian icons as the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ. A smoke-filled room. Efficiency furniture.

I looked at the podium from whence the poets would speak and began to get nervous. I got through most of my reading just fine before some drunken wild woman had the nerve to critique a poem I had written about Somalia. It was quite unnerving.

However, since that time, most of my coffee-house experiences have been pleasant – as long as there is more ambiance than attitude. I have found Café Brasil to be an ideal meeting place, and have enjoyed the Mexican and other house blends of coffee, which cost $1 and change a cup. When I meet one of my friends there, we usually exchange poetry.

Brasil, located at 2606 Dunlavy, has outdoor seating. For those who don't mind the mosquitoes and the eccentric types, it's a good place to discuss what's ailing America.

My favorite coffee house, Café Artiste (1601 W. Main), is more my style, however. The waitstaff is really laid-back. It has at least five times the number of books as Brasil and is within walking distance of the Menil Collection. One way to endear yourself to the management is by singing golden oldies like "Abracadabra," "You Got Lucky," and "Eminence Front" with a friend.

Other coffee houses include Cyrano's, Cappuccino Plus, Empire Café, P.J.'s, Mientje's, Hoi Polloi, Europa Café, Magic Bus (a coffee house housed within a nightclub), Café Piramide and 11th Street Café.

Places that don't qualify as coffee houses, but do serve refills include the House of Pies on Kirby and Charlie's. For students who want to utilize cappuccino or espresso as coping mechanisms, there is also the option of buying coffee from the de Bottari/Texas Java Company stand.

If you want to really confuse a server, order a cup of joe like this: "I'll have a triple espresso mocha latte decaf tall cappuccino with hazelnut Kenyan blend, with a dash of cinnamon and light on the milk." Tell the person you're depressed and from Seattle.

And don't expect to see Kerouac's apparition conversing with Ginsberg.

ARAGON OF VIRTUE? ROYALLY

Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Catherine Parr, Jane Seymour, Anna of Cleves and Katherine Howard – each woman was married to Henry VIII, and each of their visages was blended into a collage of archetypes and misconceptions.

The wives have rarely been looked upon favorably, and, more often than not, they are defined, in a sexist way, as types: a woman scorned and betrayed, the temptress, the wholesome woman, the aesthetically challenged, the inherently bad one. In her nonfiction group biography, titled <I>The Wives of Henry VIII<P>, Antonia Fraser unravels the enigma of these women.

One of the interesting features of the work is the use of fictional narrative techniques, which make the histories of the wives fresh. This is perhaps an example of historical revisionism, but after all, history is "his story." For those not interested in the monarchy, reading it can be an arduous task.

Tudor tales are always rife with details about licentiousness, hedonism, decapitation, loveless unions, infertility, clandestine activity, ignobility, avarice and excess. However, this book deconstructs many of the myths and adds more flesh to once-flat historical characters.

The book features photos of stained-glass representations, tapestries, watercolor portraits, and a suit of armor made for a pre-slovenly Henry VIII in his late 20s.

Fraser reconstructs the lives of the wives based on material she gathered from various archives and does each woman justice.

Henry VIII's figure looms over each bio, but not in an impinging, intrusive way. She informs the reader that Catherine of Aragon's engraved regal badge features a pomegranate, leaves and a jeweled crown.

Fraser deftly handles transitions from one biography to the next, and casts light on a world of courtiers, opulence and the rigors of living with a megalomaniacal member of the stalwart ruling class.

NOT THE AVERAGE FRESHMAN

Running back Burton impresses Helton family on, off gridiron

At least Ryan Burton will always know he has one admirer – Pam Helton, wife of Houston head football coach Kim Helton.

In Houston's 16-0 loss to the Missouri Tigers Saturday, the freshman running back impressed Mrs. Helton on one particular play when he caught a 13-yard pass from Cougar quarterback Chuck Clements.

Early in the fourth quarter on a second-and-10 from the Missouri 46-yard-line, Burton caught Clements' screen and faked out a Tiger cornerback, scampering for a first before he was finally pulled down by Missouri free safety Andre White.

After the game, Mrs. Helton couldn't stop acknowledging to her husband the talent she saw from Burton that evening.

"My wife likes (Burton) a lot," coach Helton said at Tuesday's media luncheon held in the UH Hilton hotel. "The guy makes one good move and already she thinks he's (former Green Bay Packer great) Paul Hornung."

But if Mrs. Helton likes what she sees of Burton on the field, she should be even more impressed with the way he conducts himself off the field.

Burton graduated from Richardson's Berkner High School with a 3.3 grade-point average and was an academic honor student for three years.

"If (Burton) has a good game against Ohio State (Saturday afternoon), we might have to adopt him," coach Helton said.

In limited action this season, Burton has contributed to Houston for 66 yards of total offense, 46 of which came against Missouri alone.

"I'm trying to take full advantage of my opportunities as best as I can," Burton said. "Like all the other freshmen on the team, we're still in that learning stage, and hopefully, we'll get better."

But by season's end, Burton could be one of the most experienced of the young guns. His performance against Missouri, coupled with the struggles of starting fullback Lawrence McPherson, may lead Helton to give the native of Richardson more playing time.

"We're hoping Burton can do some recruiting for us," Helton said. "He's developed good enough relationships with people to a point where he could convince some good guys to come play for the University of Houston."

One of the state's top high school runners last season, Burton ran for 1,405 yards as a senior at Berkner.

He turned down football scholarship offers from Southern Methodist, West Point and Texas-El Paso to play at Houston.

"I felt like we had the opportunity to build a successful program here, and I'm really enjoying the chance I received to come in here and contribute," Burton said.

If Burton continues to see considerable action this week, he will have his work cut out for him against the Ohio State Buckeyes in Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeyes will probably be the biggest defensive team the Cougars see all season.

"When you think of big-time college football, Ohio State comes to mind," Burton said. "But I don't think I'll be scared. If I was, I don't think I'd be playing here."

With Houston already 0-3 and a 37-and-a-half-point underdog going into Columbus, the experience this season hasn't been all that bad for Burton.

"It's important that we learn just how to win first," Burton said. "Wins are not going to be handed to us. So I feel that once we do that (win), we'll be much better in that sense alone."

But even if winning doesn't happen any time soon for the Cougars, they will still not be without praise. Just ask Pam Helton.

COOGS LOOK FOR REVENGE

Volleyball gears up for SWC opener tonight

by Hiren Patel

In a league where the champion can only afford to lose one or two games, Baylor and Houston open Southwest Conference volleyball play at Hofheinz Pavilion tonight at 7:30 p.m.

"I think that it is more significant because we want to make sure that we don't do what we did last year," Cougar head volleyball coach Bill Walton said of the opener.

Last season, for the first time in Houston volleyball history, the Bears defeated the Cougars.

The Cougars (4-3), who recently finished third in the Kachina Classic tournament in Flagstaff, Ariz., lead the all-time series with Baylor 25-1. The Bears' only victory came last season in Waco.

"The team remembers the feeling of not playing their best," Walton said. "Their intent is to make sure that Baylor sees their best.

"I think the group believes that if they give their best, they have a good chance of winning."

The Bears (3-9), playing in their 13th consecutive road game, enter the game after losing all three of their matches in the Jones Intercable Classic in New Mexico this weekend.

Both the Cougars and Bears hobble into the match with players suffering from nagging injuries.

Houston's Carla Maul saw some action at the Kachina Classic, but was pulled out of the last match against Memphis with leg problems. Walton said Maul will be ready to play, but was unsure of how much action she would see.

Christi Dreier, a senior transfer from Sam Houston State, will probably start in place of Maul if needed. Dreier, who is averaging 1.06 kills and one dig per game, started the matches against both Memphis and Sam Houston.

Baylor's D'Ann Arthur, a junior from Lubbock, has not yet played in a match this season due to injuries.

Nicole DeNault, a freshman averaging 1.91 kills and 1.22 digs per game, has a sore shoulder. She did not play in Baylor's matches in New Mexico.

Crystal Schweihs, who leads the team in digs per game with 2.48, missed Baylor's second match against New Mexico with back injuries. However, she should be able to play against Houston.

The Cougars are lead by senior hitter and All-America candidate Lilly Denoon-Chester. The Pasadena native captured her second consecutive SWC Player of the Week honors after posting 56 kills and a .276 hitting percentage in three matches at the Kachina Classic.

Denoon-Chester leads the SWC in hitting percentage (.346), kills per game (4.89) and blocks per game (1.26).

Senior setter Cory Sivertson leads the Bears against Houston. She enters the match as the team leader in assists per game (8.80). Sivertson has also added 17 service aces and a hitting percentage of .323.

Erin McElwain, a junior middle blocker for the Bears, heads their list for blocks in the season with a total of 51. She recently posted a career-high hitting percentage of .727 against Long Beach State.

Houston's Marie-Claude Tourillon, a transfer from the University of Montreal, is tied with teammate Denoon-Chester for the SWC lead in blocks per game with 1.26. She also has a hitting percentage of .259.

Sophomore hitter Emily Leffers has played consistently for the Cougars throughout the season, averaging 2.85 kills per game, with a hitting percentage of .264.

Sharon Pratt leads the Bears with 99 kills and 146 digs. The sophomore hitter/setter also has 15 service aces.

COUGARS START 1994 GOLF SEASON TODAY

The University of Houston golf team opens its season today at the Jack Nicklaus Collegiate Invitational in Columbus, Ohio, which continues through Thursday.

The tournament will feature 12 teams competing in a match-play bracket and will conclude with a championship round Thursday morning.

The Cougars, who finished 19th in the NCAA Championships last season, will start the tourney against Ohio.

The team is led by two-time All-Southwest Conference honoree Anders Hansen, who second on the team last season in scoring.

CARABOO A RUEFUL BREW

A beautiful young girl shows up in an English village in 1817 looking completely lost. This is the exact same feeling moviegoers will have when they leave this film and try to understand why this movie made it to the big screen.

<I>Princess Caraboo<P> begins with promising shots of a beautiful English countryside. The movie becomes more promising when Phoebe Cates graces the screen, looking lost and soulful. Unfortunately, it is all downhill from that point.

<I>Caraboo<P> unravels its story at a sadistically slow pace with Cates, who abruptly appears speaking a language no one knows and wearing a turban. Hitchcock would be pleased.

Cates is found by a Catholic priest who takes her before the local magistrate to be tried for vagrancy, which, during this time period, was a serious crime in England.

But wait! The fair maiden catches a break. While appearing before the magistrate, Cates' undeniable regal air catches the attention of a wealthy banker, Mr. Worrall, played by Jim Broadbent, and his mousey wife, played by Wendy Hughes.

This attention, with a little help from a Greek sailor who says he knows of a Princess Caraboo near Java in Southeast Asia, gets Cates a reprieve, which is held under strict scrutiny from hard-nosed journalist Gutch, played insipidly by Stephen Rea, whose role in <I>The Crying Game<P> must have zapped his strength to perform another quality part.

Cates then ingratiates herself into the English aristocracy by acting very proper and extremely fastidious. These manners are what lead everyone to believe Cates must be a princess.

Cates does give a good performance, but that is mainly due to the fact she only has to say one word, "Caraboo," throughout the majority of the movie.

The rest of the movie leaves the audience in coma-inducing suspense as to whether or not Cates is a real princess.

The only real bright spot is the performance of Kevin Kline as Frixos, the Greek butler. Kline, who obviously took this bit part as a favor to wife Cates, delivers the funniest line of the movie when he says, "I know you are an impostor and I spit in your soup."

The only other noteworthy performance comes from John Lithgow, who, as Professor Wilkinson, tries to establish the validity of Cates' story.

The costumes and locations are exquisite, but these attributes, along with Kline's and Lithgow's performances, are not enough to bring this movie out of the boring part of hell.