CONFERENCE PONDERS FUTURE OF UNIVERSITIES

Today, the administration and the Faculty Senate will present the Fourth Annual Scholarship and Community Conference, a one-day event that will examine accountability in higher education as the 21st century approaches.

The theme of this year's conference is "Accountability: the External and Internal View." The event will be held at the UH Hilton and will feature prominent speakers from education, business and government.

Members of the university community are invited to attend all sessions of the conference, beginning with the welcoming ceremony at 9 a.m. The featured speaker at a noon luncheon will be Sheila Jackson Lee, Houston City Council member and candidate for Congress.

The morning session, titled "Accountability: The External View," features Beth Morian, chairwoman of the UH System Board of Regents; Mel Elfin, special projects editor for U.S. News and World Report; and John Whitmire, state senator from District 15 in the Houston area.

The afternoon session, "Accountability: The Internal View," will feature presentations from distinguished professors and a representative from the Students' Association Senate.

Angela Patton, associate professor of art, will consider "Measuring the Immeasurable." Ernst Leiss, Faculty Senate president and professor of computer science, will talk about "Thoughts on Tenure." Robert Palmer, a Cullen professor of history and law, will offer his thoughts on the "Evaluation of Deans."

Jeff Fuller, speaker of the SA Senate, evaluates "The Students' Role." Jerry Paskusz, professor of electrical engineering, will present the "Global View" of accountability.

Leiss said the conference will be an exciting and informative experience for all in attendance. He expects a large turnout for all of the sessions and the luncheon. "It (response to the event) has vastly exceeded our expectations," Leiss said, adding that the theme of this conference should be of particular interest to students. "Accountability is something that students have always demanded from their professors."

The morning and afternoon sessions are free and will be held in Room 261 of the Hilton. The luncheon will be held in Room 210. There is a $10 charge for the luncheon, and reservations are required. A few tickets are still available for the luncheon.

Interested students or faculty should call the Faculty Senate office at 743-9184 for more information.

*******************************************************

UH GATHERS ENVIRONMENTAL, BUSINESS HEADS TO MULL NAFTA

by Marlene Yarborough

UH's Institute for Corporate Environmental Management is sponsoring a conference today exploring changing relationships between global economics and the environment, and how businesses and governments can meet challenges stemming from the North American Free Trade Agreement.

The Sustainable Development on Global Business conference runs from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Wyndham Warwick Hotel, 5701 Main St.

"Sustainable development" refers to the process of meeting the needs of today without endangering future generations to meet the needs of tomorrow.

It is a way of rethinking the relationship between economics and the environment to create a vision of new policies that take into account the environmental and social impacts of doing business, said Beth Beloff, the UH College of Business Administration's ICEM director.

"The whole concept of sustainable development is to avoid stealing from the future in order to enjoy the present," said Kenneth Lay, chairman and CEO of Enron Corp. "The conference will outline the vital roles that natural gas and renewable energy industries have to play in moving the United States and the world toward a truly sustainable development future."

The primary goal of the conference is to give concrete examples of sustainable business projects being employed today on a global scale.

The sponsors are gathering local businesses to gain their perspectives on the issues and to provide insights useful to the environmental planning process, Beloff said.

"Until companies understand the full cost they incur from their environmental practices and the inefficiencies inherent in those activities, they will lack a major incentive to change their approach to environmental management," Beloff added.

UH's ICEM provides executive education and training programs to improve business leaders' understanding of environmental issues facing industry.

Eugenio Clarion Reyes, director general of Grupo ISMA, will speak on the importance of NAFTA to Mexico's future and how it will affect business around the country.

Information about the evolution of the Business Council for Sustainable Development will be provided by Hugh Faulkner, executive director of BCSD-Geneva, Switzerland.

Faulkner will speak about Sustainable Management and the EPA's interest in exploring how it can fit on the border between the U.S. and Mexico. Also, he will cover how SM may fit with NAFTA-mandated infrastructure development.

Keynote speakers include Faulkner, Lay, Reyes and Robert Sussman, deputy administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency.

There will also be two panel discussions, one with Eduardo Prieto, director general of Grupo Primex in Mexico, discussing issues surrounding NAFTA.

Co-sponsors include the Greater Houston Partnership and the BCSD-Gulf of Mexico.

For more information, call 743-4630.

SCHILT DOWNPLAYS ENROLLMENT LOSS

Although UH's total enrollment and student credit hours have been falling since fall 1992, UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt said at a Tuesday press briefing that the state should recognize UH's unique mission as an institution dedicated to serving an urban community.

Schilt hosted the editorial board briefing for UHS Student Publications Tuesday, as the UH System gears up to begin its advocacy campaign in Austin.

"We want everybody behind a common agenda. We want it to be clear to the Legislature what we are trying to do," Schilt said.

Schilt and UH President James H. Pickering argued that enrollment should not be the bottom line with respect to state funding. Rather, in the coming legislative session, state leaders need to understand UH's distinct role, Schilt added.

The UH System's four universities provides unique services to different areas of the community from professional to undergraduate, both men stated.

"Last session was a South Texas session," Schilt said. "We would like to think this session will be the urban session."

Pickering said urban schools like UH are part of a new trend in urban universities, which tend to have a more diverse and older student population.

Schilt emphasized that UH has a mission as an urban university. Houston, he said, is a city at risk with many students dropping out of high school or not going on to a university.

"Essentially, you have got an infrastructure problem in the city. Until we solve it, we will still have an enrollment dilemma," Schilt said.

Exact figures for UH enrollment were not available, but preliminary figures indicate a loss of 1,759 students and about 15,926 semester credit hours from fall 1992 to fall 1994. Preliminary enrollments were 31,266 students for Fall ’94.

"While obviously, one is concerned when enrollments are going down, I worry over the long term that we allowed the caring cap to go down," Pickering said.

Pickering also added that figures indicated large freshman and sophomore losses, which might reflect a phenomenon where more students are deciding to go to community colleges rather than four-year institutions.

On the legislative front, Austin Capitol staffers said they were "cautiously optimistic" about higher education funding, as State Comptroller John Sharp announced a $1.6 billion carryover from the 1994 fiscal year. Carryovers are funds left over from the previous fiscal year that can be reallocated in the following fiscal year.

The carryover from 1995 is undetermined. Preliminary revenue estimates also indicate $3 billion in new revenue for next biennium.

Schilt said in the coming months, as the legislative season starts, that administrators want to dispel any false perceptions people have about UH and the UH System.

As part of the overall legislative effort, an alumni committee called the President's Alumni Legislative Advisory Group, comprised of former state legislators, lobbyists and other Austin insiders, will assist UH in the coming funding battles.

With a coordinated educational briefing plan, UH and UH System leaders said they hope to educate the community and the Legislature about the needs and benefits higher education offers.

Schilt said he wants to get the word out, especially to legislators, what level funding really means.

Although the state allocated $277 million to the system, $29 million had to be deducted for rider reductions, holds harmless and inflation.

"That's more than we get for the entire downtown campus – that amounts to the education of 8,000 students," Schilt said.

Last session, the Legislature gave UH a hold harmless, which in effect meant the state agrees to give money to the institution the state can later take back.

The Legislature also, at the end of the session, tacked on rider reductions to the end of the bill that took away appropriations the state gave previously in the bill.

Schilt added that "real" level funding that took into account federal mandates, UH-Downtown debt service, the unfunded salary mandates and the unfunded optional retirement plan would amount to $302 million.

NEW AGE INSTRUCTION

INTERACTIVE TV ALTERS CLASSROOM DYNAMIC

by Gale Lunsford

<I>You are travelling in another dimension, a dimension not of sight, or of sound, but of mind...There's a signpost up ahead – your next stop: the Twilight Zone."<P>

–Rod Serling

Picture the following: You're lounging on your bed in your dorm room or campus apartment, eating dinner and participating in class discussions – all at the same time. Believe it or not, you haven't been sucked into the Twilight Zone, but are a participant in the New Age ITV.

The use of Instructional Television makes this scene a reality for students enrolled in "The Flowering of the Middle Ages," a knowledge-integration course broadcast on channels 3 and 4 by the University of Houston's cable system.

According to Sandy Frieden, director of programming for the UH Division of Continuing Education and Off-Campus Institutes, this course is a model for future educational advances, including videotaped lectures on Channel 8 (PBS), planned for the spring 1995 semester.

Frieden said she feels that although technology is an important tool, it is not the basis for education.

"It is always the teacher who makes the difference. There's always an instructor who is there to design the learning situation," Frieden said.

Sally Vaughn, director of the Medieval and Renaissance Institute, started this ITV course four years ago in order to fund the institute. It brings together more than 15 UH faculty members who teach subjects on the Middle Ages – history, mechanical engineering, music, architecture, literature, drama and philosophy – from each lecturer's viewpoint.

Vaughn said students can look at the course and medieval culture in a holistic way, especially through the use of panel discussions.

"I don't know of any other course that brings together this many people from so many disciplines. The historian deals with art and music in a different way than an art historian or a musician," Vaughn said.

Students may also watch videotaped lectures on reserve at M.D. Anderson Library – an advantage for people who miss a class, Vaughn added.

"One of my students told me, 'If I miss a particular point or I want to review a lecture, all I have to do is reverse the tape.' There aren't many classes where you can do that," Vaughn said.

The history course is also offered in the classroom or through ITV at off-campus locations such as the West Houston Institute, North Houston Institute and Brazosport.

Vaughn said she felt some students would benefit more from the off-campus locations because they could create focus groups and have uninterrupted discussions.

"It's a very enriching experience because these students are talking to each other freely – unlike the classroom setting, where students rarely talk," Vaughn said. "If a student or lecturer has a question for the other, all that person has to do is push a button and talk – it's wonderful!"

The ITV class received a $2000 curriculum development stipend through the efforts of Frieden. This support money will assist faculty in planning the course, including the use of slides and photocopies of original engravings, photographs and paintings.

"Dr. Vaughn's course is an excellent example of interdisciplinary work, and you learn how relative everything is," Frieden said. "The content may be thrown away or replaced in a few years, but the ability to understand it is crucial."

Two complete graduate engineering degrees are offered through the ITV program. Frieden said she hopes to add undergraduate programs in the future and attract newer audiences. Vaughn and Frieden said they both feel these new programs will not reduce the need for a campus environment.

"I don't think that face-to-face lectures will ever become obsolete, especially for 18-to-22-year-olds. I think the thought of going away to college is important – it's part of our culture," Frieden said. "However, as more people change careers, they will continue to retrain and learn new information."

The Medieval and Renaissance Institute will offer "The Flowering of the Renaissance" course during the spring of 1995 semester through the ITV program. For further information on these programs, contact Frieden at 743-3051.

MIXED SUPPORT FOR WOMEN STUDENTS AT ANNUAL CONFERENCE

by Gale Lunsford

Professionals and students in double-breasted jackets, skirts and pantsuits sensed underlying vibes of competition and rivalry at the Women in Communications Inc. 1994 Annual Conference, held last weekend at the Plaza of the Americas Hotel in Dallas.

More than 300 students and professional women participated in the conference. Four of the 34 students in attendance came from the UH chapter, which started in 1949.

WICI was founded as Theta Sigma Phi in 1909 by seven journalism students at the University of Washington. The national and local chapters' main goal is to help professionals and students network with people in communications fields.

Students said they viewed the conference as a way to network with other professionals, as well as with other students, from different areas of the United States. At a student affairs meeting, more than one-third of the students said they felt belittled by some of the professionals' condescending mannerisms and remarks.

Tracy Meyers, a senior speech-communications major and publicity chair of the WICI UH chapter, said she had hoped to form friendships, make contacts with professionals and possibly find a mentor.

"These ladies didn't have much to say to me except, 'Hi. You want my (business) card, don't you?' " Meyers said.

Students also expressed their concerns over the lack of support from professional chapters. According to Heather Mason, student liaison of the Far West Region, women supporting other women, young or old, is a learned skill.

"I think we, as students, need to demonstrate our respect for the professionals and show our gratitude for the roadblocks they've cleared for our future. More important, though, they (professionals) need to realize that in order to receive respect, they need to show respect," Mason said.

Guest speakers – like Gail Blanke, senior vice president of Corporate Affairs and Communications for Avon Products – expressed a hopeful attitude that successful, professional women would reach out to her working women and then help each other overcome challenges and build self-esteem.

"How does a person, especially a female, cope with fighting for positions in the workplace? ... I don't think there's a simple or concrete answer," Blanke said.

Ann McGee-Cooper, president of Ann McGee-Cooper & Associates and author of <I>Time Management for Unmanageable People<P>, said people must shift their priorities and rethink their social skills.

"Your bad habits are your genius, just turned inside-out," Cooper said.

Patricia Hayes, president of St. Edwards University, noted the importance of communication in the workplace and the classroom. She said the ability to get along with others and communicate entails building positive community relationships.

"You don't have to treat people identically, but you should treat them equally," Hayes said.

COUGARS EYE CONFERENCE PEAKS

HOUSTON TAKES ON PERENNIAL SWC CHAMPIONS IN AUSTIN TONIGHT

by Hiren Patel

All the records indicate the Houston volleyball team should feel as if it were climbing Mt. Everest as the Cougars get ready to face No. 11 Texas at 7 p.m. tonight at the Recreational Sports Center in Austin.

The Lady Longhorns (11-1) lead the all-time series 44 to 31. Although Houston (5-3) has won more matches against Texas than any other Southwest Conference team (13), the Cougars have not won in the Rec Center since 1984.

Nevertheless, the Cougars feel the team finally has a good chance of returning to Houston with a win.

"I think Texas' coach (Mick Haley) is telling them that they need to be prepared for us," Houston sophomore setter Sami Sawyer said. "They know that we're a threat to them."

The Longhorns have graduated three of the team's starters who were on last season's All-Southwest Conference squad.

"We don't know what to expect from them," said Sawyer, who leads the Cougars in assists per game (11.68). "This team is different from last year's, with its new players.

"We're going to prepare to play a lot of defense because they have a big block."

"The main thing (required) to win against Texas is for us to stay mentally focused," senior hitter Lilly Denoon-Chester said. "It's going to take this whole team to step their level of game up one notch."

Besides trying to stay focused on playing Texas, the Cougars will have to contend with a possible crowd of 2,000.

"We can't let Texas score a bunch of points in a row," Houston head volleyball coach Bill Walton said about how to get the UT crowd out of the game. "We need to show off our offensive firepower early in the game."

"We can't let the crowd affect us," Denoon-Chester added. "What we need is to simply play our game and play together as a team."

Denoon-Chester leads the SWC in hitting percentage (.344) and kills-per-game (4.81). The Pasadena native also has a team-high 83 digs and 37 blocks.

"The weakness of our game is mentally. When the game is close, with just one more point to win the game, we break down," she said.

"Texas is a low-air team, which means we're going to have to dig the balls and put them back into play," Walton said about the Cougars' strategy.

Texas, on a seven-match winning streak, is led by junior Carrie Busch, who is in the middle of making the transition from outside hitter to setter.

The All-America candidate is averaging 9.89 assists per game and ranks second on the team with 91 digs.

Junior middle blocker Angie Breitenfield guides the Longhorn offense with a team-high 138 kills and 45 blocks.

Texas will play the rest of the 1994 season without senior All-America candidate Samy Duarte, who suffered a right-knee injury against Texas-Arlington.

Unlike its last match against Baylor, Houston enters this contest with a relatively healthy team.

Houston's Nashika Stokes, a sophomore hitter who suffered a sprained ankle against the Bears, will be available to play. Stokes is averaging 2.39 kills and 1.29 digs per game.

Outside hitters Emily Leffers and Marie-Claude Tourillon have played consistently for the Cougars. Leffers and Tourillon are second and third, respectively, in kills per game (2.77 and 2.58) and digs (1.71 and 1.81).

UH pioneers own path to new conference

By Daniel Scholl

Well, it appears that the University of Houston has finally settled one of the problems staring it in the face. The Cougars have finally found a new playground to compete in.

Does it sound like I'm being sarcastic? I don't mean to. In fact, I'm very excited by the new possibilities open to us. I'm just trying to be cutesy with the language.

Let's recap what has happened. Schools like Texas and Texas A&M decided to break up the Southwest Conference and those schools' alumni, who run the funding of higher education, didn't balk as long as the governor's and lieutenant governor's schools (Baylor and Texas Tech respectively) went with them. The rest of the league, recently called the "So What Conference" and the "Southworst Conference," was left to fend for itself. Rice, Texas Christian and Southern Methodist went WACky. Houston decided to stand alone. It's about time.

Joining the SWC may have been the worst decision UH made. Before 1976 the Cougars had won 12 national titles in golf and had one of the finest basketball programs in the nation. While UH had many great memories after ’76, was it worth the bad publicity the conference has gotten over the last few years? I'm not so sure.

So UH has decided once again not to be part of the mainstream in Texas college athletics. It is joining a conference made up of many metropolitan schools, hence the word Metro, all in the same boat as UH.

By this I mean they have to compete with major professional sports (yes, that includes the Oilers) and have a large commuter population. In short, these schools were all looking for a football conference and schools that were demographically comparable. Now the UH administration must suffer the cheap shots.

"It was the only conference we could get into," one voice shouts. "None of these schools can play football," another objects.

I would like to address these points.

First, the unconfirmed, and I stress the word "unconfirmed," word is that the Cougars had an open invitation to the Western Athletic Conference, but turned it down.

I'm sure there were other leagues that would have welcomed us, but the administration didn't panic and join the first thing that became available. I say this because I often thought they were dragging their feet, but it appears that things may have worked out for the best.

The other point is that while this may not rival the Big 10 in football, this will be one hell of a basketball conference. And while it may seem blasphemous to put emphasis on basketball instead of football in Texas, this is where UH's history and strength really are.

The Phi Slama Jama, the Big "E" and the Final Fours – something for all Cougars to be proud of.

Current head basketball coach Alvin Brooks agrees. He says that bringing teams like Louisville, Cincinnati and Tulane into Hofheinz Pavilion every year will only lead to good things for the university.

First it will help bring other top programs into Hofheinz, which will put more people into the seats, which will make more money, which will help the athletic department become financially independent from the university.

Brooks added that settling the conference situation will help recruiting, which has already been pretty good. He says he is very pleased with the decision to join the new league.

Dick Vitale – like him or not, he knows basketball – said this league will be on par with the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The university made the right choice. This is not a fluff conference; it's just not the SWC. But so what.

RELEASE FINGER-LICKIN' GOOD

by Deanna Koshkin

Mother Tongue's new high-powered release is guaranteed to take you to new heights.

Their new self-titled album is diverse and difficult to describe, ranging from heavy alternative rock to ballads to funk. They begin with a fast rhythm, speed guitars and intense vocals. From there, the album gradually winds down into slower, mellow ballads.

Released off Sony, their 12-track album includes strong songs like "Broken," "Mad World," "Damage" and "Entity." "Broken" is the best song on the album. The infectious lyrics are impossible to get out of your head.

With Christians Leibfried and Bryan Tulao on guitar, Geoff Haba on drums and David Gould backing them on bass, Mother Tongue has a great overall sound in their music, managing to add the bass funk of Jane's Addiction to the powerful guitar and vocals of Soundgarden.

The vocals are so keen and catchy that after listening to the album once or twice, you find yourself mumbling along to words you barely know.

One of the major weaknesses of Mother Tongue is their lack of a set lead singer. The members of the band alternate vocalizations throughout the album. Although it adds to the diversity of the album, some of the singers don't have quite as much going for them as others, and they would do better to stick with one strong lead singer.

Despite this, Mother Tongue's release is magnificent. It's the perfect music to study to because it just fades into the background after awhile. Their self-titled album is well worth the price, and they are definitely a band to look out for in the future.

Ex-Black Panther maps empowerment routes

Over the last few years, many in the black and Latino communities have raised the issue of what they see as a lack of leadership or vision for their futures.

Similarly, whites are affected by such problems in society. In a recently re-released book, a civil-rights activist-turned-radical community organizer offers some thoughts on problems in the black community and methods of changing them. The author, though, may not desire to be anyone's leader.

<I>Anarchism and the Black Revolution<P> is a newly-republished book by Lorenzo Kom'boa Ervin, who will be speaking at Houston's DiverseWorks on Sunday.

Ervin, who was involved in the 1960s with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and the Black Panther Party, gives a bold and articulate philosophy behind what he wants to accomplish in a somewhat unconventional manner -- an anarchist organization to aid the black community.

Strange, you say? Ervin's life story is even more unusual.

Born and raised in Tennessee, Ervin got involved with SNCC and the Panthers. A "Black Power" grand jury convened and filed charges against him in 1968, during the peak of urban unrest. Fearing for his life, Ervin hijacked a plane and fled to Cuba.

Once there, however, he was jailed by Cuban authorities, who had imprisoned many Panthers for fear they would stir up black Cubans to revolt. After six months in a Cuban jail, he was shipped off to post-invasion Prague, Czechoslovakia, then handed over to American authorities.

He narrowly escaped capture and went to East Germany, but was caught by Americans and illegally extradited to the United States, where he was jailed for the hijacking.

He served nearly 13 years in prison at different institutions, including the well-known Marion Control Unit in Illinois. An international support campaign got him freed. He now speaks publicly about his experiences.

<I>Anarchism and the Black Revolution<P> was written in 1979 when Ervin was in prison. This updated edition includes notes and thoughts about the current political situation in the black community. In fact, the whole book offers an engrossing and thought-provoking analysis on ways blacks and Latinos can improve their communities and design ways to fight for a more just society.

Among the central points in Ervin's writings is the need for the black community to be not only self-sufficient, but also autonomous. The call for autonomy <I>with<P> the ideal of self-sufficiency here is critical; bougie nationalists, the Nation of Islam and all manner of black militants-cum-capitalist reformers will voice the need for self-sufficiency, but it is most often independence under said group's leadership.

Ervin is straight-up in explaining that not only must people in the community be self-sufficient, but that they also understand their needs as a class, rather than as a constituency.

Ervin also takes to task white radicals, particularly white anarchists, in their attempts at co-opting black-liberation struggles. Many white radicals, Ervin argues somewhat generously, are not necessarily white supremacists, but are of the mindset that they should work with blacks on common interests rather than on racial issues.

This behavior is just as racist and not the way to get things done. Ervin urges whites to support the black liberation movement despite ideological differences and for them to try and understand what black revolution is all about.

Throughout <I>Anarchism and the Black Revolution<P>, Ervin is clear about who he sees as his ideological enemies. From the right-wing to abusive police, Ervin offers thoughts on combatting all. His ideas for asserting black power, politically and economically, are just as provocative.

Ervin's advice on tactics is a real handbook for waging political struggle. He suggests black tax and rent boycotts, taking over abandoned buildings in the community and making them homes and community centers, forming community defense to protect against racial attacks, and forming black workers' and other organizations. He offers plenty more ideas, but to cover all of them means a much longer write-up.

<I>Anarchism and the Black Revolution<P> is a very well-written and insightful book. Ervin himself is still true to his roots as a black radical and this book proves it. Unrepentant all the way and plotting still more, Ervin seems like a writer with much on his mind – and they are thoughts many should read.

Who: Lorenzo Kom'boa Ervin

What: Lecture

When: Sunday at 5 p.m.

Where: DiverseWorks (1117 Eastex Freeway, near UH Downtown)

Cost: $3

CONCERT A TROPICAL PARADISE

by Alexandria McGovern

Jimmy Buffett rocked the Woodlands Pavilion last Wednesday night, his second night performing to a sold-out crowd, promoting his new album, <I>Fruitcakes<P>. This was one concert that will go down in the Woodlands' history.

The Iguanas opened up the set a little after 7 p.m. and warmed up the crowd. The band was light-hearted and knew what the audience wanted to hear. Although hardly anyone could understand what the singer was actually saying, it's always fun to try to sing along with a stadium full of people when you are drunk.

When Jimmy Buffett took the stage at around 8:15 p.m., there wasn't a person in the crowd sitting down.

The stage was a tropical paradise. The backdrop was spectacular, an ocean setting complete with sharks and mermaids. Brilliant colors made the stage look like a tropical island, and Buffett's bright-pink shirt and mint-green shorts added to the atmosphere.

There was a 17-piece band with Buffett, including a harmonica player and a man on steel drums. There were dancers dressed in calypso-looking clothes, and a keyboard player sporting a Rastafarian hairdo.

The stage was definitely alive. Jimmy played all of the old favorites, plus a great rendition of Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl," which got the crowd dancing in the aisles – the Caribbean isles, that is. "Cheeseburger in Paradise" won't be forgotten soon either. This song included life-size french fries and Heinz 57 bottles falling from the top of the stage.

"Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" was a huge hit. He called it one of his favorite love songs, after doing a great imitation of Whitney Houston's' "I Will Always Love You." He called "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" a Texas love song, which made the crowd go wild.

He also noted the strong aroma of marijuana, wondering if the Woodlands were on fire. Well, the Woodlands were burning, all right.

While playing another old favorite, what he likes to call the shark song, he had everyone in the crowd making shark-like movements with their hands. He went on to play "Son of a Sailor," another of his big hits, then exited the stage.

After a quick wardrobe change, Jimmy re-entered the stage on a surfboard, riding the waves on his fake ocean. He went on to remind the crowd not to drive drunk and told them not to forget that summer isn't over, and it wouldn't be over soon.

If anyone knows how to end a concert with a bang, it has got to be Buffett. He played perhaps his most popular song, "Margaritaville," then proceeded to end the show with another of his most popular songs, "Come Monday."

Although the tickets to this show sold out in a ridiculous amount of time, something like four hours, you must do whatever it takes to see Jimmy Buffett when he returns next year. As one concert-goer put it, it was like going on vacation to the Caribbean with 12,000 of your best friends, all wearing funny, fruity hats.