CAR THEFTS OCCUPY UHPD; STUDENTS CAUGHT WITH DRUGS

Recent incidents of stolen cars and drug possession on campus have UH police officers on their toes and keeping the jails full.

The first in a string of crimes occurred Tuesday evening when UHPD Officer Kevin Marmor encountered a group of juveniles talking in the southeast corner of Lot 1A. The youths began to flee the scene when Marmor inquired as to what they were doing.

According to UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis, Marmor was able to apprehend one of the juveniles and place the youth in custody. During the apprehension of the one crowd member, other UHPD officers on the scene noticed an empty, gray 1984 Oldsmobile stopped at the corner of Calhoun Avenue and Wheeler Street.

Davis said officers investigated the vehicle and found the left-side, vent window was smashed and that the steering column had been popped off. The car was then towed and impounded by UHPD.

During this time, UHPD Sgt. Rita Bazile was able to apprehend another member of the crowd based on a description given by Marmor.

Thirty minutes later, two reports of stolen cars were filed back to back with UHPD. David Grossman, a high school student using M.D. Anderson Library to research a paper, reported his 1988 Buick missing from Lot 1A. Twenty minutes later, UH student Armond Mireles reported his 1984 Oldsmobile missing, also from Lot 1A.

The car impounded earlier by UHPD was dusted for fingerprints, then released to Mireles. UHPD then filed Grossman's car as being stolen.

The two suspects who were apprehended were turned over to the West Dallas Juvenile Correction Facility.

According to Houston Police Sgt. Ben Norman, a description of Grossman's car given by UHPD led to the sighting of the vehicle Wednesday in the Fourth Ward District.

HPD officers were led on a high-speed chase by the youths sitting in the car after attempting to question them. Officers pursued the suspects through Fourth Ward into downtown, then through the Montrose area. The chase continued past the 610 Loop and onto Richmond Avenue, finally ending in the parking lot of the popular nightspot, Sam's Boat.

Norman said the four youths were driving the car and stopped in the parking lot after hitting one car and bouncing into an HPD police car.

Norman said the four juveniles were charged with burglary of a motor vehicle, a Class B misdemeanor, then turned over to Harris County Juvenile Correction officers.

UHPD officers also made arrests Tuesday night of two UH students for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Davis said UHPD dispatch received a call from a resident in Moody Towers complaining about a strong odor of marijuana.

Bazile went to the room of Marc Hogan and Vincent Stevens to investigate the call. Davis said Bazile entered the room and saw a marijuana pipe and a roach clip lying on a table.

Hogan was arrested and turned over to Harris County Jail. He is being charged with possession of a controlled substance, a Class B misdemeanor under the Texas Penal Code because the amount of marijuana found was less than four ounces.

Stevens is being charged with a Class C misdemeanor, possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to Texas Law, Hogan could spend up to 180 days in jail and/or be fined an amount not to exceed $2,000. Stevens could have to pay a fine as high as $200. Both students face possible expulsion from UH under the policy of possession of a controlled substance listed in the student handbook.

UHPD made two more arrests Wednesday when they caught two visitors driving a car they had stolen from Lot 9C. The officers were able to contain the suspects in the parking lot, but the two attempted to run from the scene.

One of the suspects was apprehended immediately in the lot and the other was caught after a foot chase on the north side of the Bates residence hall on campus.

Both visitors were charged with burglary of a motor vehicle, a Class B misdemeanor, and evading arrest, a Class A misdemeanor, which allows for a maximum penalty of one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $4000.

*******************************************************

HOUSTON BUSINESS COUNCIL HONORS UH MINORITY PROGRAM

by Marlene Yarborough

A summer award presented to UH by the Houston Business Council spotlighted increased amounts of contracts awarded to minority- and women-owned businesses.

"Total membership for HBC is approximately 424, so to be one out of 16 chosen for the corporate award is an accomplishment," said La Ronda Broussard, assistant director of purchasing.

The Historically Underutilized Business program has compiled a directory of HUBs and makes each college on campus aware of minority-owned businesses, Broussard said. Since the inception of HUB at UH on Nov. 1, utilization of HUBs has increased to 391, up from 87 on Oct. 31, Broussard said.

The HUB program developed workshops for minorities to come to for free. They have training sessions and talk about state certification.

UH dollars spent with HUBs to purchase products, services and supplies on Oct. 31 was $218,288; to date, $3.1 million has been spent. Also, UH assisted 215 corporations to get state-certified.

Total UH dollars spent from Oct. 31 to present – divided by dollars spent with HUBs – gave an increase of 1.7 percent to 4.8 percent.

UH was nominated for two other awards, the Innovation Award and the Corporate Procurement Awards.

Innovation Awards are presented to HBC members who showed the most innovative approaches to minority- and female-owned business development.

The Corporate Procurement Awards are presented to the three HBC corporate members reporting the largest increase in expenditures with minority business enterprises during the past year.

"I want to congratulate the entire university in helping achieve this goal because it is a team effort and a win-win situation," Broussard said, "especially Dr. Pickering for his outstanding leadership and for ensuring that the university recognized HUB as an important program."

UH NETS LESS NATIONAL MERIT SCHOLARS

pull quote:

Williamson said he feels recruiting has a ripple effect on the student body. "While they're percentage-wise a small part of the student body, they help set a standard where others can follow," he said.

by Jennifer Smith

After reporting a 7 percent drop in National Merit Scholar students attending UH, officials in the Office of Admissions said they hope to bring the number of enrolled freshman National Merit students up next fall.

By the office's own numbers, this year's National Merit freshman enrollment has dropped 7 percent to 73 National Merit students from last year's 79.

Rob Scheinkopf, director of Admissions, said several factors contributed to the drop in Merit enrollment. He cited increased competition between schools for fewer students as the main factor.

The national population of college-age people is at its lowest point in many years, Scheinkopf added. Because the percentage of Merit qualifiers is a constant, there are simply less Merit students to target, and competition to attract them is growing, he said.

However, he said he believes that as the college-age population cycle swings upward during the next few years, UH will again attract a larger number of Merit students.

Jonathan Williamson, a National Merit representative whose duties include contacting National Merit Scholars for UH, said the increasingly competitive atmosphere makes recruitment a field in which the university must depend on its strengths, like the College of Engineering and the Creative Writing Program.

"It used to be that UH gave the largest scholarships, but now more schools are offering," he said. "It makes it a challenge."

Many National Merit Scholars, he added, are looking for schools with smaller classes, strong academia and individual attention. "I try to encourage them to come to UH and see what the campus is like," he said.

Sheinkopf said that because there is an increased number of recruitment staff members this year, he expects to attract a larger percentage of Merit students next fall.

Morale is very high among all six UH recruiters this year, said Jeanne Rutenkroger, associate director of Admissions. With one counselor of the six exclusively dedicated to National Merit recruitment, the Admissions Office expects a proportionately larger number of Merit freshmen next semester.

Tyene Houston, assistant director of Admissions, said the importance of recruiting National Merit Scholars has a lot to do with both publicity and raising the mean SAT scores at UH, thus attracting more National Merit students to campus.

TEXAS LAND IN TUG-OF-WAR

by John Darbonne

A debate over the Coastal Management Plan and the Endangered Species Act between the land commissioner's and agricultural commissioner's offices is developing into a state battle of jobs vs. environment.

Ron Calhoun, director of public information in the Land Commission Office, said the CMP began in the 1970s when Bob Armstrong was commissioner.

The reason it could be passed was because then-U.S. Sen. John Tower, R-Texas, wrote a law stating that if coastal states could get their state programs qualified under the federal government, they could get federal funds and some leverage over federal bureaucrats.

Armstrong devised a command-and-control program that used Austin-based zoning to address a variety of coastal problems. Under this system, Austin could determine where businesses and residential areas could be developed in coastal communities.

Zoning restricts development in areas to what is specified by the command center.

This program was fought by developers on the coast and by major companies. The program did not pass the Legislature.

Land Commissioner Garry Mauro was elected in 1982 and had no interest in a CMP because of what happened to Armstrong. However, coastal leaders began saying a CMP was needed in the 1980s.

Mauro said he would not do a zoning program if a CMP was needed. He said he would get coastal residents and businesses together to hammer out a program.

In 1989 a hearing of coastal residents, officials and business owners reached a consensus of five areas that needed to be addressed: coastal erosion, dune protection, wetland protection, better laws on beach access, and that there needed to be a way to coordinate efforts of all state areas that had jurisdiction because there had been too much overlap in the past.

In 1991 the Texas Legislature revived the plan by passing legislation that created a Coastal Coordination Council, which would oversee the CMP. The land commissioner's office would head the CCC. The council would also be composed of Attorney General Dan Morales; John Hall, chairman of the Natural Resource Conservation Commission; Ygnacio Garza, chairman of Parks and Wildlife; Texas Railroad Commissioner Barry Williamson; and two gubernatorial appointees: Galveston Mayor Barbara Crews and citizen Ray Allen of Corpus Christi.

"The CCC developed a program, and (Agriculture) Commissioner (Rick) Perry did not evidence any interest in the program," Calhoun said. "He had nothing to say."

Calhoun said that last year, about the time of his election campaign, Perry started calling for delays.

"Perry never attended one of the public hearings," Calhoun said.

Gary Foster, director of communications in Perry's office, said Mauro's actions are contradictory, and that he believes Mauro is bowing to political winds.

Foster said Perry is concerned with the fact that the CMP will affect 19 coastal communities mostly, and will implement another layer of bureaucracy. This will reduce the competitiveness of Texas businesses and threaten job growth, he said, as well as invite the government to take more control of people's lives.

Currently, Texas business and property owners must get a permit to improve their property. This process is costly and time-consuming, Foster said.

"Now this permit could be overruled by the CCC," he added, "and then they would have to go through the process again."

Calhoun said oil companies, chemical companies, business owners and environmentalists all said they would except the plan.

"They did not say it was perfect, but they said they would accept it," Calhoun said.

Perry asked the CCC to wait on the plan until the Legislature has had time to look at it.

"The land commissioner's office has been working on the plan for over five years," Calhoun said. "How much longer do they want us to wait on it when the Legislature voted overwhelmingly to have the plan. If the CMP is not passed, Texas stands to lose $2.4 million in federal funds."

The land commissioner did make a concession though, Calhoun said. He said the CCC will approve the CMP, but will not implement it until June 1995. That way, the Legislature will have another opportunity to change it.

However, Calhoun pointed out that this concession really makes little difference.

"The Legislature can change the plan any time they want to," Calhoun said. "Commissioner Perry is giving the appearance that once the CMP is approved, no one can alter it."

The CMP was adopted by the CCC on Sept. 16 by a vote of 4 to 1. The only dissenting vote came from Williamson.

Perry expressed outrage over the fact that Deputy Agriculture Commissioner Barry McBee was unable to read a statement from Perry to the council before the vote was taken, as CCC Chairman Mauro refused to accept public comment before the vote.

"For the public to be denied an opportunity to testify on a plan that could jeopardize the jobs and economic well-being of thousands of Texans is outrageous," Perry said. "Allowing comment only after the vote was an affront to the democratic process."

Calhoun said this was nonsense. McBee was allowed to speak, after the vote, and actually read a lengthy report to the CCC.

"The CCC had a published agenda that must be followed," Calhoun said. "Public comment comes after the vote according to the agenda."

Mauro called for a moratorium on implementing the Endangered Species Act on Aug. 26 because he felt it was not effective for the Texas General Land Office.

"I have lawyers and biologists on staff who are experts in the field, and it's still not working," Mauro said. "If the act is not working for the largest land manager in the state, there is no way it can be working for the people of Texas. Therefore, I am calling on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to immediately cease listing species and designating habitats."

Perry's office also agrees that the act is not working. Foster said the act needs to be changed.

"The Endangered Species Act became law in 1973 to protect the polar bear and bald eagle," Foster said, "but more radical environmental groups have used the act to take land by placing insects above people's livelihood."

The area of the act Perry is most concerned with is the designated area for the Golden Cheek Warbler. This designation will have 800,000 acres through 36 counties in central Texas be taken over by Fish and Wildlife. This would make the land basically worthless, Foster said.

"The potential cost in this designation of valuable ranch lands is enormous," Foster said. "Agriculture in these counties is a billion-dollar industry."

In addition, Foster said he believes unreasonable and costly regulations will be imposed that penalize home and business owners more than safeguarding natural resources.

"A variety of regulations will be imposed on businesses, local municipalities and property owners that are very costly," Foster said. "This comes with no reimbursement and can drive people out of business."

All in all, Foster said he has a hard time seeing the benefits from the act.

Because Mauro has agreed to wait on the Endangered Species Act until the Legislature can remove some of its effects, Foster wants to know why he does not want to wait on the CMP, which could have just as many negative consequences on land and business owners.

"Texas already has workable, reasonable procedures in place for urban and agricultural areas," Perry said. "However, if the CMP is adopted, we would have to choose between throwing away our local solutions and adopting unworkable costly ones developed in Washington, D.C., or ignoring the federal plan and losing federal funds. Either way we lose."

The Environmental Protection Agency office in Dallas declined comment on either piece of legislation until it has a chance to review them thoroughly.

The CMP has not reached Governor Richards' desk yet, and until it does, the governor will not comment.

FRESHMAN 15 TOUGHER THAN ALGEBRA CLASS

Photo by Cesar Alvarez

CUTLINE: Trent Messec, a junior electrical engineering major, effectively juggles healthy eating and campus life.

by Terri Garner

The dreaded Freshman 15: those unwanted pounds that everyone seems to accumulate after the first semester of college. But with classes, part-time jobs, studying and leisure time, who has time to eat healthy, let alone exercise?

"The Freshman 15 should not necessarily be prevented," according to Dr. Leonard Bohanon of The Counseling and Testing Center. "College can be an unsettling time that causes stress both good and bad, and this stress can throw off the mind-body equilibrium, causing unwanted weight gain." He also added that this weight gain can be seen by some as "more damaging than it really is."

Bohanon agrees that people's bodies are still changing and that students don't necessarily need to lose the weight because "the health risks of (dangerous) dieting outweigh the damage caused by the weight gain.

Bohanon warns that crash-dieting creates a "vicious cycle" in which a person restricts food intake, throwing the body into a "starvation mode" so that when the person finally eats, the body converts the food into stored-up fat to use for later when food intake is being restricted again.

Mary Mose, campus dietician, said, "Planning ahead is the best preventative method for unwanted weight gain.

"Provide snacks for yourself that are nutrient-dense and low-fat such as air-popped popcorn, fruits, vegetables and low-sodium crackers to have on hand while studying."

Mose warns students of getting caught up in the psychology of "eating the food in the residence halls simply because they have bought the meal ticket," and recommends "pre-packaged meals" for balanced nutrition that will work well with busy student schedules. "Just pop them in the microwave and go."

Mose also advises students not to neglect exercise. "Students have a knack for choosing the shortest path. Resist the temptation to take the elevator and use the stairs instead. Psych yourself into exercising by parking further out and walking to class instead of taking the bus."

Many books have also been written on this subject. <I>Getting Thin – All About Fat<P>, written by Gabe Mirkin, M.D. (co-author of <I>The Sportsmedicine Book<P>), is an easy-to-read manual on healthy eating and exercise that not only informs, but also recommends the safest methods of exercise and weight control.

The book is an excellent presentation on nutrition, metabolism, fat, exercise and diet. Anyone who is serious about losing or maintaining their weight, or simply wants to know more about being physically fit, would do well to pick up a copy.

Many forms of exercise are readily available through facilities on campus, like Garrison Gym, with a valid student I.D.

"Students may use both gyms, pool, weight room, raquetball and tennis courts (with reservations) as well as the track in Hofheinz Pavilion," said Chris White, student director for intramurals. For more information, call Garrison Gym at 743-9840.

<I>REBEL<P>'S DEATH REMEMBERED

Today marks anniversary of James Dean's demise

Cougar Photo File

Women seem to find something extremely attractive in the strong, rebel, silent-type. Maybe that image of a rough bad-boy is what made James Dean the legendary symbol for young people of every generation.

This month marks the 39th anniversary of James Dean's death. Thousands of fans made a pilgrimage to Fairmount, Ind., Dean's hometown, to pay their respects and remember a man who lived fast and died young. Almost four decades after the young legend's death, his image is still alive in the hearts of mourners and worshippers.

James Byron Dean (named after Lord Byron, the English poet) was born Feb. 8, 1931, in the small town of Marion, Indiana. His father was never around, and he would not be with his mother for long. His life changed when his mother died, and he found himself to be an orphan at the age of nine. His aunt and uncle took on the responsibility of raising him and gave him a home in Fairmount.

Dean was unhappy living on a farm and decided to leave his home when he was 18 to gamble on a career in acting. He soon became an international sex symbol for young teenage girls all around the world, filming only three movies in his lifetime.

The young Cal in <I>East of Eden<P> was a character who lived on the edge of insanity, but deep down only wanted the love and appreciation of his father. <I>Rebel Without a Cause<P>, his second and most famous movie, brought Dean immense fame when he dazzled Natalie Wood, among millions of girls. "The kiss" in <I>Rebel<P>, to this day, is on the list of most romantic kisses.

He made the red jacket a fashion symbol for years to come as he rebelled against parents, peer pressure and attraction-turned-to-love. His last film, <I>Giant<P>, featured him alongside Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson. He was the sexy cowhand, wearing an unbuttoned shirt and wooing the wife of his boss. <I>Giant<P> was a poor-boy-turned-rich tale, paralleling Dean's life.

With only three movies under his belt (<I>Giant<P> was released after his death), James Dean was one of the hottest young stars in Hollywood. However, Dean died on Sept. 30, 1955, at age 24 following a car accident, forever preserved at the prime of his youth.

However, many facts about James Dean are unknown. Kenneth Anger reveals some lurid details in his book, <I>Hollywood Babylon II<P>, which says Dean was a manic depressive and a bisexual. He reportedly kept himself from being drafted by kissing the medic and telling him he was gay. Anger says Dean lived with an older man for a few years and that S&M became a secret life he enjoyed. Anger said one of Dean's favorite acts was having men put out their cigarettes on Dean's chest.

On the day of his death, he reportedly had gone to a gay party and had an argument with an ex-lover. Afterward, going 85 miles per hour in his silver Porsche, he ran into another car and died.

After his death, there was a rise in suicides, and thousands of letters poured into the studio, with fans refusing to accept that James Dean was dead. Even today, he receives mail from fans. His popularity is so great that all of the books on James Dean in M.D. Anderson Library have disappeared.

James Dean will always be linked with the live-fast, die-young attitudes of other famous rebels, like Marilyn Monroe and Jim Morrison. He will continue to live on through fans of all ages – the old with their memories, and the young, with their first-time experiences of the famous "Well, now, there, then," James Dean.

TENNIS COMING BACK

Seven players hoping to be magnificent enough for new courts

The Houston Cougar women's tennis team has lost a few members, but whatever is left will be showing itself over the fall season, running from today until Nov. 6.

The season kicks off with the Seminole Classic in Tallahassee, Fla., today.

The Lady Cougars will return only two seniors, Amanda Barnett and Karen Dasprez, out of seven total players on the squad.

Junior Caty Sanchez will also be coming back, along with sophomore Kristen Paris. The Cougars will have to carry three true freshmen on the team, Sabrina Segal, Susanne Andersson and Linda Gillner.

Not returning will be 1994 All-Southwest Conference performer Catherine Bromfield and Cecilia Piedrahita, both senior co-captains last year, who have graduated.

Bromfield was the Cougars' top singles player the last two years. The native of Kent, England, will return as an assistant coach in ’94-'95.

Piedrahita, originally from Quito, Ecuador, formed the Cougars' best doubles pair with Bromfield. She ran No. 2 to Bromfield in singles play.

Head tennis coach Stina Mosvold will be starting her first fall season after replacing Cathy Beene as coach early in the spring of ’94.

Mosvold was hired by Beene shortly before the season, but had to step in as head coach when Beene unexpectedly quit prior to the season.

She will inherit a team that has finished last in the SWC three years straight. The Cougars' last season above .500 was in 1990-'91.

After a 23-3 overall finish in 1989-'90, the team has seen a rapid decline. However, the new tennis courts built as part of the athletic-alumni facility have given the team some hope.

The first tournament held at the new facility will be the UH Fall Classic, Oct. 14-16. Southern Methodist, Washington, Tulane, Southwestern Louisiana and Texas-San Antonio will be the participants.

COLLECTIVE SOUL GOES FROM SMALL-TOWN TO BIG TIME

by Valérie C. Fouché

For five guys from Stockbridge, Ga., who started out practicing in a band member's dad's recording studio, the only one in the small town, opening for Aerosmith on a nationwide tour seemed like a dream. Despite this, Collective Soul is taking it all in stride.

Tonight, Houston will be hit once again by those Georgia boys. The band will open for Aerosmith at 8 p.m. at the Summit, promoting its latest album, <I>Hints, Allegations and Things Left Unsaid<P>.

This 13-track album includes the Top 40 hit "Shine." The video for "Shine" has been among the Top 10 on MTV's countdowns.

The band members include Ed Roland, lead vocals and guitar; Dean Roland, guitars; Ross Childress, lead guitar; Will Turpin, bass; and Shane Evans on drums.

Like many other bands, Collective Soul did not achieve success overnight. It has been together for 12 years now and admits that success has not changed its members' relationship with each other, said Childress from a Houston hotel room as the band prepared for its show.

Collective Soul's unique sound comes from the fact that the band has four guitars, no keyboards and a drummer.

"Ed plays basically cords; he's the lead singer. Dean plays like real nasty distorted sounds; he beats it (the guitar). It adds more of a roughness and makes it fuller. I add a layer, almost like a keyboard with the guitar. We've tried to create a layered sound to our music," Childress said.

Collective Soul started its tour in Houston earlier this year at Goats Head Soup. Its last performance here was at Toad's Bar over the summer.

Despite rain that evening (the concert was held outdoors on Toad's patio), it didn't stop the fans from standing and jamming along with the band. "Yeah, it was a really cool place, down by the bayou. It was raining that day," Childress said.

Collective Soul has gained, through airplay and touring, a fairly large fan base here in Houston, and Childress said he hopes to see quite a bit of support at the Summit, although he added that he and the band realize most people are there to see Aerosmith.

"To be honest, there was one place where we unfortunately had to play two shows," Childress said. "And the crowd was just sitting there going, 'Uh well, when's Aerosmith getting out here?' "

Although Childress said the band's members still get excited when they hear that fans have attended one of its concerts and enjoy the music, he added that this particular show just got worse.

"That (same show) was actually the only time we've ever had a heckler. He was about 10 rows right in front of me. He would make a point to stand up and scream something between every song," he said. "It was funny actually, I mean, I laughed at him; he was very intoxicated. So I didn't think of it as ... he just wanted to see Aerosmith, and I understand that."

IT'S UNSANE

Go insane with hard-core trio

Who: Unsane

What: Concert

Where: Harvey's Club Deluxe

When: Tonight

Unsane will promote its latest recording, <I>Total Destruction<P> tonight at Harvey's.

Photo by Michael Galinsky/Atlantic

Pure, unadulterated noise. Fixation with car crashes and violence. Extreme nihilism.

If you want to get insane in the membrane with the Unsane, be prepared for each of these elements.

The hard-core trio, which hails from New York City, consists of guitarist/vocalist Chris Spencer, bassist Pete Shore and drummer Vinnie Signorelli. The Unsane plays tonight at Harvey's Club Deluxe on a quadruple bill with Slug, among others.

The band's latest recording for Matador (Liz Phair's label), <I>Total Destruction<P>, features 11 cuts rendered in the Unsane's own inimitable way: heavy droning sound; heavy on the distortion and feedback; and terse, angry lyrics.

The Unsane is basically obstreperousness incarnate. The abstruseness of some bands' lyrics makes it hard to appreciate the music, but this band's lyrics are lucid and brutally honest – if at times unintelligible.

<I>Total Destruction<P> was recorded in January 1993 and co-produced by Martin Bisi of Sonic Youth, Live Skull and Cop Shoot Cop fame. "Body Bomb," the first cut, features power chords. "Straight" features a strong bass-and-drums tandem that puts Spencer's guitar-playing in the background.

Spencer's scream-singing style is not in the least unusual, but it does allow him to convey rage and a sense of consternation in some of the songs, particularly "Get Away." In this song, the vocalist yells, "I need some time so I can get away ... I need some time to find a better way." Sounds like he needs some time to go see a psychiatrist.

The Unsane is also obviously quite a bossy group of men; in the song "Trench," Spencer intones, "Stay down, stay on the ground." Maybe he has had visions of combat dancing in his head. "Dispatched" features more of the same, with an extra dose of megalomania. Other strong cuts include "Black Book," "Broke" and "Road Trip."

For those who flinch, the Unsane, known also for its gross cover art and a Serranoesque fixation with death and mayhem, may not be the band for them.