SORORITY ALPHA OMEGA ALPHA TO HOST EXPLOSION OF GOSPEL MUSIC THIS WEEKEND

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

The Alpha Omega Alpha Christian Sorority will present Gospel Concert Explosion Number One Saturday at 5:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Building.

The Gospel Explosion series was created by AOA founder Jayla Cooper and concert organizer Sheletta Smith. The concert will be dedicated to Myra Connelly, UH assistant dean of students; Patricia Jefferson, an assistant principal at Shadydale Elementary School in the North Forest Independent School District; Suzette Turner-Caldwell, a consulting firm owner; and Marla Barfield, who ministers to battered women and children.

Smith, the chairperson of the concert, said, "Without these Christian women giving us Godly examples of service and womanhood, there would be no Christian sorority. These women that we are going to honor have set the standards for us, so we can live the life of a Godly woman."

The concert will feature UH's Good News Gospel Choir and local Gospel choirs Jackie Scott and the Revelations and Michael Burns and the Spirit.

"Music is one of the ways to reach a large group of people. We thought the concert would be most appropriate to have on campus so we could reach out to students and welcome them into something other than secular music," Smith said.

AOA plans to have one concert a semester, to become part of a series of events presented by the sorority, Smith said.

Alpha Omega Alpha was established in the spring of 1993 with the purpose of helping students understand the teaching, doctrine and knowledge of Jesus Christ, members said.

*******************************************************

SMALL BUSINESSES GIVEN HELP AT UH

pull quote:

"The future of our country will be based on small business. This can be a very efficient and cost-effective way to maintain a business or position a business for expansion," said Lee-Ann Gee, SBDC consultant.

by Catherine Cykowski

The UH Small Business Development Center is offering several training programs during the month of October.

The SBDC offers training and consultation services to anyone interested in starting their own business.

"We teach with case studies. The seminars are business applications that people can learn in a three- or six-hour period," said Lee-Ann Gee, SBDC consultant.

SBDC's seminars address a wide array of business needs, including marketing techniques, financing and business planning. The seminars are taught by SBDC consultants and professionals.

"The future of our country will be based on small business. This can be a very efficient and cost-effective way to maintain a business or position a business for expansion," Gee said.

The number of seminars offered by the SBDC has grown from 146 last year to an anticipated 200 this year, she added.

SBDC seminars are open to anyone who is interested in starting a business. There is a fee for seminars, which Gee said is based on a "break even" basis. General consulting services are free.

Examples of seminars being offered during the month of October include "First Step: A Business Start-Up Workshop" and "Business Plan: Road map to Success."

The SBDC has been a UH program since 1984. The center receives funding from the Small Business Administration, the UH College of Business Administration and various private sources and grants.

Most of the seminars are held at the SBDC, located downtown at 1100 Louisiana, Suite 500.

Anyone interested in getting information about SBDC seminars should contact the center at 752-8488.

STUDENT FEE HIKE NETS MORE FUNDS FOR SERVICES

by Marlene Yarborough

Students enrolled in nine or more semester hours pay $100 in student service fees, and the Student Fees Advisory Committee has collected $6.7 million so far this year.

Student fees were raised $4 per student this fall at SFAC's recommendation. The increase was implemented to overcome a shortfall due to budget uncertainties, like decreased enrollment, SFAC chairwoman Julie Baumgarten said.

Athletics receives $35 per fee- paying student, giving them a total allocation of $2.3 million.

Athletics' total budget is more than $10 million, so SFAC money plays a significant part, athletic director William Carr said.

"SFAC funds help to support the total program," Carr said. "It is part of the operating dollars, including things from A-Z, scholarships, recruiting, traveling."

Athletics gets a 35 percent cut off the top of all fee money collected, as mandated by SFAC guidelines, Baumgarten said.

"The Student Funding Board receives 1 percent of the total fee collection. All other groups have a base amount that has been set over the years, Baumgarten added.

Base amounts are set according to the size of the student service unit, said Rodger Peters, former SFAC chairman for the previous four years.

"Salaries, maintenance and operation, and administrative charges are factors SFAC considers in deciding a group's base," Peters said.

"About every two years, the base amount goes up for state-mandated raises," he added.

Groups present a budget to SFAC set on their base amount. They must show how the money was spent the previous year.

SFAC makes a judgment on how it feels fees should be allocated, then passes it to William Munson, assistant vice president for Student Development and dean of students, and Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs. They then return the judgment to SFAC and it is voted on, Baumgarten said.

A group can ask for a one-time allocation. SFAC looks at the proposal, then decides on its validity.

"Any group that can demonstrate they work on campus and for the students is eligible for funds," Baumgarten said.

The Jazz Ensemble came to SFAC and asked for a one-time allocation to buy equipment. The ensemble works on and off campus. They received $7,147.

SFAC meetings and hearings are open to the entire student body. "It is the students' money and all students should be allowed to say how it should be spent," Baumgarten said.

For a schedule of SFAC proceedings, contact the Dean of Students Office at 743-5470.

<I>GH<P>'S KURTH, SOFER COMING TO UH

by Terri Garner

and Valérie C. Fouché

Cougars, get ready to get all soaped up as ABC Daytime brings two of their top stars to campus in conjunction with our Homecoming celebration.

Wally Kurth and Rena Sofer, who play Ned and Lois on ABC's <I>General Hospital<P>, are one of the show's hottest couples and will be guests at Saturday's Homecoming game.

Sofer, who plays Lois Cerullo, describes her character as, "eccentric, free-spirited and sort of the comic relief of the show."

For Rena, playing Lois has called for a combination of personal experience and careful study. Despite an upbringing that had her moving from town to town, Rena has a firmly based devotion to family much like that of Lois, who has been burned more times than she would care to disclose, and has fallen head over her knee-high boots for the enigmatic rock signer and pharmaceutical salesman, Eddie Maine. What she does not know yet is that "Eddie" is really Ned Ashton, heir to the Quartermaine fortune.

Rena is fairly new to the soap. Her role began in November of last year, and she said it is one of the best daytime serials she has worked on. "It's a great show. The writing is really superb. The entire cast and crew work so well together, better than any other I've seen."

Wally Kurth describes his character, Ned Ashton, as "a daytime bigamist," Kurth said, adding, "The wonderful thing about my character is he lives two lives; that's why he has two wives. He's the daytime bigamist. He just recently got discovered as the bigamist that he is, so he is now trying to reconcile to the one woman that he really loves, Lois."

Kurth said his character has been fun to play due to Ned's double life. "By day, he's the CEO of the most powerful corporation in town, and the other side is he's this lead singer of a rock 'n' roll band that Lois manages."

Kurth has not been one to leave his music on the back burner. He has recorded a self-titled album that features his own piano and guitar accompaniment, complementing his vocal interpretations of personally selected songs. He also has a musical release titled <I>Sea of Peace<P>, performed with Christian Taylor, his musical partner.

Some may remember Kurth from <I>Days of Our Lives <P>, in which he played Justin Kiriakis for four years. He said he misses his old daytime pals. "In a sense, I do miss <I>Days<P>. I miss the people, the crew and the character. But I'm really having fun with this character (Ned); he's much more interesting and dimensional. I'm really excited (about the character) because they (<I> Days <P>) wrote Justin into a corner and really didn't give him much to do."

Kurth is a UCLA grad and says that when he was approached about doing the college tour, he said, "Sure, I'll do anything for the colleges because I enjoyed college life. I'm looking forward to going to the game and meeting some nice kids."

Hanging out at the Satellite, anyone can see the popularity of <I>General Hospital<P> as there isn't a vacant seat in the lounge around lunchtime. Students relax on the couches and spread out on the floor with various books and lunches just to see the latest episode.

Kurth and Sofer will be appearing at an ABC-sponsored tailgate party before Saturday's game in which students, alumni and Cougar fans can meet them as well as register for a $1,000 sweepstakes to be given away at halftime. Kurth and Sofer will also be escorting lucky drawing winner Ruth Ramirez, a UH student, to the tailgate party and game.

The ABC tailgate party and campus visit are all part of a college promotional tour in which different stars from ABC soaps will be appearing at college campuses in conjunction with each school's Homecoming.

"We have a strong commitment at ABC Daytime to maximizing our viewers' sense of personal connection to our shows," said Cody Dalton, senior vice president of marketing for ABC Daytime. "Our 'Soap Up!' campus event affords us the opportunity to reward our loyal college audience with exactly what they tell us they crave: getting up close and personal with the stars of ABC's hugely popular daytime dramas."

Soap Up! is a new edition to ABC Daytime's annual college promotion. Stars from ABC's soaps will be touring 13 universities across the country, including the University of Florida, which will be visited by Walt Willey (Jackson Montgomery) from <I>All My Children<P>; Indiana University, which will be visited by John J. York (Mac Scorpio) of <I>General Hospital<P>; Purdue University, which will be visited by James Kiberd (Trevor Dillion) from <I>All My Children<P>; University of Connecticut, which will be visited by Roger Howarth (Todd Manning) from <I>One Life to Live<P>; and Memphis State, to be visited by Paul Anthony Stewart and Laura Sisk (Casey and Allison Bowman) from <I>Loving<P>.

Kurth and Sofer will be heading on to Puerto Rico after their appearance at UH to film a remote for upcoming episodes. Be sure to stay tuned... .

REALITY: LOVE MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY, 'WRAP IT UP'

by Lisa Mahfouz

OK guys, here's the deal: You take the pill and we'll wear the condom.

That's right – the female condom has arrived, and just in time according to an estimated 12 million sexually transmitted disease cases forecasted for 1994 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guess who is at the top of the list? People under the age of 25.

Consenting adults practicing safe sex have a new reality in the prevention of HIV, STDs and unplanned pregnancy – the Reality Female Condom. This new contraceptive device now available in the United States gives women the power to protect themselves and their sexual partners against disease even if he won't or can't wear a rubber.

Unlike its male latex counterpart, the female condom is made of polyurethane, a thin, soft and pliable plastic that transmits heat easily. Both partners can really feel the heat of the moment with this new polyurethane condom, says Larissa Lindsay, a spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood.

Using this polyurethane material avoids allergic reactions some people encounter with latex condoms. This resilient material is 40 percent stronger than latex, thereby reducing tears, rips and punctures.

The manufacturer's six-month study found Reality condoms 97 percent effective when used consistently and correctly. Male latex condoms have an effectiveness rate of 92 percent. However, without proper use of Reality, the study revealed a significantly lower success rate of 88 percent.

Although no contraceptive is 100 percent effective in preventing pregnancy, condoms are highly effective in reducing the chances of contracting STDs, including HIV. With unprotected sex, there is a 61 percent chance of pregnancy as well.

Most Americans have never seen a female condom before, and proper usage is unfamiliar. It's not too pretty, but neither is testing positive for AIDS or an unexpected pregnancy.

Reality resembles a jumbo-size male condom with a flexible inner ring on one end that covers the cervix upon insertion. The woman or the man, (it's fun for all) squeezes the inner ring, much like a diaphragm, and inserts it into the vagina like a tampon. This part can be difficult for most users, so practice, practice, practice.

The flexible ring secures this vaginal lining over the cervix. Here comes the weird part. The bottom portion of the female condom hangs outside of the vagina. It's strange, but yields positive results.

The open end of the female condom hangs out to cover the outer lips of the vagina and the base of the penis during sexual intercourse to reduce skin-to-skin contact. The penis should be guided to make sure it goes into the condom properly.

If the penis touches the ring, either the condom has not been pushed up far enough into the vagina, past the pubic bone, or the sheath was twisted during insertion. Most couples report that sexual intercourse feels the same or better.

The chances of contracting diseases like gonorrhea; chlamydia, which can cause diseases like Pelvic Inflammatory Disease; and AIDS are greatly diminished when using this new sex aid.

A woman is twice as likely to contract STDs and 10 times more at risk of contracting AIDS from an infected partner in one sexual encounter as does a man.

Using Reality condoms can also eliminate awkward or embarrassing interruptions during the love-making process, as an erection is not required for use.

Women can insert Reality up to eight hours before foreplay; however, most prefer two to 20 minutes prior to actual sex (inserting the condom – that is).

A strange suction-like noise during usage of the female condom has been reported by some sexual participants. But what good sex isn't noisy? Extra lubrication is suggested to reduce any uninvited sounds.

The female condom comes prelubricated in its package and is not reusable. It's not to be used in conjunction with a male condom.

At your disposal in drugstores across the country, Reality Female Condom's suggested retail price is $8.99 for a box of three and six packs for $16.99. Small bottles of additional lubrication are included.

Consumer ads speak out to women, telling them they now have a means of protection: "Now, even if he's not using condoms – you can." Each ad includes a photo of the package; descriptive body copy, which includes the Female Health Care Company's toll-free number (1-800-635-0844); and a plea to women to call their health care professional to learn more about the Reality Female Condom. The tag-line reads: "Make it your reality."

Professional ads address how health care providers advise their patients over and over again about protecting themselves from STDs, including AIDS, and from pregnancy. This tag-line reads: "Make it her reality." The two-page spread recommends the Reality Female Condom as an effective means of protection against disease.

The ad says that Reality was "listed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an option to help prevent STDs, including AIDS, and pregnancy." The FDA approved the Reality female condom in May 1993.

Planned Parenthood, located at 3601 Fannin (713) 522-3976, offers Reality at a lower price of $2 per condom or three for $5.

UH Health Center pharmacist Magdalene Vulkovic said Reality is on order and should be available to students as soon as today.

"Response has been popular," Lindsay said. "Women like the control and power in the decision to use a condom without depending on a man."

"It's (female condom) going to take some time to get used to ... different material, noisy," Lindsay said, "but it makes women think. Is this the person I'm going to have sex with if he won't wear a condom and she will?"

The Reality Female Condom is the only contraceptive currently on the market controlled by women that protects their health against infection, disease and unwanted pregnancy all at the same time.

Both men and women are highly susceptible to HIV today. More than 70 percent of new HIV infections worldwide are contracted through heterosexual intercourse, as reported by the World Health Organization.

From 1990 to 1991, the number of CDC-reported AIDS cases grew 37 percent among women, as opposed to a 4 percent increase among men during the same time period.

"Intelligent college students think, 'Oh, I'm not gay, sleazy or lower-income,'" Lindsay says. "The disease (AIDS) doesn't look at that."

It's time to wake up folks! Alarming statistics project women will make up the majority of those newly infected with HIV by the year 2000, as reported by the CDC.

What women and men do to prevent the spread of STDs and HIV today will affect health issues into the next millennium.

Finally, women have more control over protecting their health and their partners' health. The Reality Female Condom adds another dimension to the world of preventative health care.

Use it or any other form of contraceptive and reduce your risk of getting STDs, HIV and unplanned pregnancies.

UIC, RICE ON MENU

Cougars take 24-hour weekend challenge at Hofheinz over weekend, defend lead

by Hiren Patel

Finally, it happened. No, sorry, the football team hasn't won its first game. Rather, the Cougar volleyball team broke into the Top 25 Tuesday.

Immediately afterward, Houston had to defend that ranking by playing Texas Tech in Lubbock, winning 3-2. However, the Cougars face a tougher challenge: playing two opponents during a 24-hour period this weekend.

Houston (7-3 overall, 3-0 in the Southwest Conference) will host Illinois-Chicago (5-10) tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion. Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m., the Cougars will play crosstown rival Rice (5-10, 0-3) at home.

The series between Houston and Illinois is tied at one, with the Cougars dropping the last match 0-2 in 1984.

"Their (UIC's) strength is No. 17 (Susan Morris)," Cougar head volleyball coach Bill Walton said. "She's tough to block against."

Morris, a sophomore outside hitter, brings the Lady Flames into the match with a team-high 4.1 kills per game and a .263 hitting percentage.

"Susan is hitting the ball very well (right now), and she's also having a good season," Flames head coach Don August said of Morris.

"We need to play consistently in all areas of the game," August said. "If we have a breakdown in any one area of the game, we'll be in trouble."

Eva Svoboda guides the UIC offense. The junior setter leads the team with 9.4 assists per game. She is also the team's defensive specialist, averaging 3.2 digs per game.

"She (Svoboda) is doing a very good job in leading our offense," August said. "She's been playing consistently for us throughout the season."

The Flames last played Tuesday, defeating DePaul in four games: 15-5, 6-15, 15-12 and 15-11. Illinois-Chicago has won three of its last four matches.

Houston leads the all-time series against Rice 41-4, having won the last 13 matches dating back to 1988, when the Cougars were shut out 3-0 by the Owls.

"If they (Rice) pass and serve the ball well, they'll be in the game," Walton said. "We're hoping to take Rice out of the match by blocking better in the first game.

"Besides knowing Rice's strength is their outside hitters, we're not sure what to expect from the team," Walton added.

Sammy Waldron, a junior hitter, guides the Owls into the match. The Houston native leads Rice in both kills and digs per game.

"She's their big gun who hits the ball over hard," Walton said about Waldron. "If she gets started on a fast track, she's hard to contain."

The All-America candidate ranks in the top five in the SWC in hitting percentage, kills and service aces. Waldron, an all-SWC preseason selection, is chasing several Rice career records, including kills and blocks.

The Rice women enter the match against Houston without the services of sophomore hitter Rebecca Case, who injured her knee during the Texas match Oct. 2. The Memorial High product was second on the team in kills (2.57) and digs (2.16) before suffering the injury.

The Owls are welcoming back the team's setter, Casey Roon, who missed the 1993 season after tearing her anterior cruciate ligament. The sophomore from Michigan is averaging better than seven assists per game.

The Owls are in the midst of a three-year, 35-match losing streak against SWC opponents. Rice has a two-match losing streak, having lost to SWC opponents Texas and Texas A&M already this year.

Houston's offensive firepower comes, as always, from hitter Lilly Denoon-Chester. The senior All-America candidate leads the SWC in kills per game (4.74) and hitting percentage (.322). She ranks second in blocks per game (1.26).

"We don't plan on starting the game any differently than we normally do," August said. "We'll have to make adjustments (defending Denoon-Chester) as the game goes on."

Sophomore setter Sami Sawyer paces the Cougar offense with a team-high 11.44 assists per game and adds 2.15 digs.

Houston enters this weekend's competition with a four-match winning streak, including wins over SWC opponents Baylor and Texas. After defeating the Red Raiders in five games Wednesday night, the Cougars hold the lone first-place spot in the conference.

DENIAL: ONE BASEBALL FAN WHO WON'T GIVE UP

I guess it's time to talk a little baseball.

We're in the middle of the postseason, always my favorite time of the year. Even though the Astros didn't get a berth in the new format, I'm still pumped.

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to catch any games yet, but I'm planning on sitting in front of the tube tonight and getting at least a few innings in.

The only thing that's been bothering me is the papers running standings under these bizarre headings of "simulated games" and "strike ball." Funny, I can't find any TV listings either.

Also, there doesn't appear to be too many game stories or photos on the sports pages. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hey, baseball needs our support now, with realignment and a new playoff format and everything. We need to be putting a championship-caliber effort forth in the media, too.

Quit telling me about this "strike" thing, all right? I know what a strike is, or I did before this season started. Belt to the knees, one corner to the other, the term "corner" depending, of course, on the umpire's point of view.

Another kind of strike, you say? Maybe a swinging strike is what you're speaking of. Let's see: Reggie Sanders, Ray Lankford, Rob Deer (oops, sorry, he's in Japan), Tim Salmon. I think I've heard of that.

Look, I'm starting to get upset here. You're telling me there's no baseball, that the players and owners have reached such an impasse that the sport is unable to continue?

I don't believe it.

You don't have to yell. If you want to continue with such a deluded belief, it's none of my business.

Myself, I'll be in front of the TV. The Braves are in the postseason again, after all. Maybe Deion Sanders will dump ice water all over another know-it-all broadcaster.

Niners? Yeah, I know you have to play nine innings, unless it rains, and then you still have to play six or something. I'm not stupid.

San Francisco? Haven't seen those guys in the playoffs since 1989, with the earthquake in the World Series, back when Oakland was good.

Football? No one would dare to play football instead of the Series. He'd be hated forever.

Not that again. OK, let's just say you're right, that there is no more baseball.

If the owners and players were having such a problem, surely neither side would be so stupid as to flush all the new profits both parties would make from the new playoffs and increased pennant races down the toilet.

I mean, baseball's having problems as it is. Everyone's gone to all this trouble to make money, so why wouldn't they want to go ahead and make it?

The players wouldn't have any leverage after the playoffs, you say. But they've had strikes – <I>work stoppages<P> – before, all at the beginning of the year, spring training.

It always works itself out. Miss a few spring training games, maybe a few April games if it's really bad. So what?

If that were true, the last postseason memory any baseball fan would have would be of Mitch Williams blowing a game. The ridiculous part is, Mitch would be getting paid right now even if there was nobody playing.

Thank God that didn't happen.

The point is, there's no way a World Series isn't going to happen. It cannot be allowed.

Besides, I'm going to turn on the TV tonight and see them play. There's no sense in arguing something so easily verifiable.

Why are you walking off? I'm just stating the obvious; you don't have to be such a sore loser.

That's sad. Some people are so removed from this world, they're scary.

Now if I can just find out what time the game starts tonight... .

ALBUM HAS JACKYL/HYDE FEEL

Jackyl's newest release, <I>Push Comes to Shove<P>, is unchallenging, but good southern rock 'n' roll.

Photo by Alison Dyer/Geffen Records

by Aaron Dishman

When cueing up a CD from a band like Jackyl, one is not expecting a highly intellectual experience. It's a good thing in this case.

After hearing the first cut, "Push Comes to Shove," I was primed for a CD packed full of energy and attitude. What I got was about four songs with the same message, four obvious fillers and four songs that require about as much thought to write as one would use to remove the plastic from the CD cover.

Despite the juvenile nature of at least a third of the songs on this CD, I found myself enjoying the overall feel of the sound and the message. While all the songs are in the first person, there is very little sense of any egotism.

These guys are proud of where they came from and proud of what they have become. I can think of more than one band right off the top of my head that could not come close to such a statement. Evidently, the band has paid heavy dues, so now it is time to enjoy some pride and self-respect unknown to unknowns.

To say that <I>Push Comes to Shove<P> is one-dimensional is valid. However, "one dimensional" is hardly an accurate statement to describe the quality of the music. The guitars are sassy and strong, and the vocals of Jesse Dupree are as striking as they were on the first CD. In fact, the only thing this CD lacks is creativity. The personality is prevalent, and the feeling is there, but the lyrics and timing are not even remotely close enough to mark this one as a major achievement.

Put bluntly, <I>Push Comes to Shove<P> is worth picking up, as long as you realize what you are getting – southern rock 'n' roll that is straight-forward and very unchallenging.

DANE'S THE LATEST ALTERNATIVE

Photo courtesy of Sony/Columbia

by Stephen Stelmak

Sinister Dane's self-titled album lacks the bite of a heavy metal or rap band that one might expect to hear. The soulful singing of Joe Sears seems to be in direct conflict with the metal, funk and reggae rhythms. The contrast is disconcerting at first, and it may take awhile to get used to the odd combination. However, the album grows on you.

The album really gels in "Absence of Angels." This song successfully combines the band's wide ranges of style and influences. Joe Sears' singing does not fight the music when it requires a harsh or soulful voice. Weaker songs include "Odalisque" and "Stained Glass," which happen to be among the first songs on the album. If you can get through these, you'll be OK.

Songs like "Safe," an excellent combination of reggae and hard rock, and "Where's my Parade" more than make up for the weak beginning. While the album may lack some continuity, it shows diversity and a willingness to be something different.

"Thanks for the Show," a song about growing out of Doc Martens, and "Ugly Thing," a song about a heartless woman, have the heavy sound you might expect from a band with the name Sinister Dane. Joe Sears' voice isn't made to sing heavy metal, and for the most part, he shouldn't try. "Thanks for the Show" is amusing and that saves the song, but "Ugly Thing" lives up to its name.

The band's influences are so diverse that everyone can at least stand the music, and most will enjoy it. Strong songs outnumber the weak ones, and as this band matures, it should get better. <I>Sinister Dane<P> is an album you should buy, especially if you want to be alternative (before everyone else).