EX-UH WORKER CHARGED WITH FORGERY

pull quote:

According to police investigators, Byrd allegedly enlisted the help of Stanley Moody, who was not associated with the university. Moody was already in jail on another charge.

After a year-long investigation, the UH Police Department apprehended a former UH employee who has been charged with forgery in the theft of $4,400 from three campus student organizations.

Eva Byrd, a former UH employee of Campus Activities, was arrested Sept. 7 and currently awaits trial in the Harris County Jail. Her trial date is set for Oct. 19.

UHPD Lt. John Heron said between September and January 1993, three checks were stolen and cashed. The checks were made out to Lambda Phi Epsilon for $2,500, the Houston Clarion for $1,400 and the National Society of Black Engineers for $500.

Police investigators said Byrd allegedly enlisted the help of Stanley Moody, who was not associated with the university. Moody was already in jail on another charge.

Both suspects were charged with forgery, a third-degree felony punishable by two to 10 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.

Police began their investigation in February when the amounts were discovered stolen.

"It did not come to light until the organizations who were supposed to receive the checks came in and said they never got the checks," Heron said. "At that point, it was learned that the checks had been negotiated."

Heron said police linked Byrd and Moody to the case by obtaining information about how the checks were presented.

The nature of Byrd's job put her in contact with area banks, as Byrd was a secretary in Campus Activities with access to checks. Heron said the banks came into contact with her when they came on campus to get students to open up bank accounts.

Because the checks were forged at banks, the banks reimbursed the university for the stolen money, Heron said. Because the banks lost the money in the end, the banks became the main complainant.

After the incident, UH Internal Auditing made suggestions for changes in Campus Activities' procedures.

Consuelo Trevino, Campus Activities director, said, "Since that incident happened, we no longer put checks into mailboxes when checks come in."

Trevino added that Cindy Gamble, Campus Activities' office manager, is the only person authorized to receive and disperse checks.

When students come in to receive checks for organizations, Gamble makes a copy of their student IDs and requires the students to sign that they received the check.

In addition, Campus Activities also made mail pick-up procedures more stringent. "Before that, we were not consistent with checking IDs," Trevino said. "The front desk is now responsible for giving out mail."

The front desk now checks student IDs to make sure the student is one of three students authorized to pick up that organization's mail.

*******************************************************

MINORITIES TAKING GRE UP 75 PERCENT

cutline

Cougar file photo

A recent survey on the General Record Exam and graduate disciplines revealed disparities between racial groups and decisions on where they choose to pursue graduate study.

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

A study released by the Educational Testing Service concerning General Record Exam statistics found that the number of minorities who took the exam in 1992 has increased by more than 75 percent over the past decade.

The report, called "Trends and Profiles: Statistics about General Test Examinees by Sex and Ethnicity," details trends among GRE test takers in areas like "Intended Fields of Study," "Specific Areas of Study" and "Top Institutions Attended by GRE Examinees."

The study separated ethnic groups into the categories of American Indians; Asian Americans; Mexican Americans; Puerto Ricans; Other Hispanics, which include students from Central and South America; and Other, which includes students from Caribbean and Middle Eastern nations.

American Indians, the report said, are the only category whose numbers have not increased in taking the GRE.

Charlotte Kuh, executive director of the General Record Exam, said, "American Indians receiving bachelors' degrees have risen. What we hope will happen is that as they receive more bachelor's degrees, they'll go to graduate school, and the graduate degrees will increase."

With Other Hispanics, Kuh said increases in GRE examinees are due to a "big growth of that population in the United States. Lots of the immigrants are sending more of their kids to college."

Kuh said of African Americans, "Nearly twice as many females as males took the GRE. The low participation among African American males is a concern for everybody. It is a result of a larger social issue. I think African American women are just trying to go to graduate school even though there seem to be more obstacles."

The top field of study for all ethnic/minority groups taking the GRE, except Asian Americans, was social sciences. For all ethnic groups, the field of study least chosen was business administration.

In specific fields of study, all minority groups chose clinical psychology except Mexican Americans, who planned to study education administration, and Other Hispanics, who planned to study international relations.

The ETS report also showed the percentage of minority groups who maintained a B average in their field of study.

Other Hispanics had the highest percentage of students with B averages in arts and humanities and social science majors.

Asian Americans had the highest percentages of students maintaining B averages in the physical sciences, engineering, and health sciences and services. Mexican American students had the highest percentages in education, and African American students had the highest percentages in business administration.

The exception among minority groups concerning top fields of study was the Asian American group.

Almost 25 percent of Asian Americans chose engineering as their top field of study in contrast to other minority groups, who showed low interest in pursuing that field.

Of the 1992 GRE examinees, 5 percent of American Indians chose engineering. Almost 6 percent of African Americans, 8 percent of Mexican Americans, 11.4 percent of Puerto Ricans, 8 percent of Other Hispanics and 7 percent of Other groups chose engineering.

The percentage of GRE examinees earning a B average in the engineering field of study was also skewed toward Asian Americans. Almost 40 percent of Asian American males and 10 percent of Asian American females earned a B average in this field of study.

Among American Indians, 8.8 percent of males and 1.5 percent of females earned a B average in engineering. In the African American group, 10.1 percent of males and 2.7 percent of females earned B averages in engineering; 14.6 percent of Mexican American males and 2 percent of Mexican American females earned B averages in the field. Twenty percent of Puerto Rican males, 4.3 percent of Puerto Rican females, 15.2 percent of Other Hispanic males, 2.2 percent of Other Hispanic females, 11.5 percent of Other group males and 2.3 percent of Other group females earned B averages in engineering.

Roger Eichhorn, dean of the UH College of Engineering, explained that a large number of Asian Americans choose engineering because "They were a relatively mobile and very directed people who immigrated from countries to get out of a bad situation. They push their children to get an education."

Eichhorn added, "They came from countries where they saw what science and engineering could do, so they came to America, where the best science is."

Charlotte Kuh, GRE's executive director, explained the trend of Asian American women increasingly choosing to pursue graduate work in engineering as an attempt for them to catch up with their male counterparts.

At UH's Cullen College of Engineering, based on a report the college has to prepare for the Engineering Workforce Commission, there are 8 percent Asian American males, 1.2 percent Asian American females, 2 percent Hispanic males, 0.35 percent Hispanic females, 0.7 percent African American males, 0.35 percent African American females and 0.35 percent American Indian males enrolled in their graduate programs.

Eichhorn said the school offers scholarships and fellowships to bring minorities into graduate school. He pointed out that one of the reasons why minorities don't go on to graduate school is because they are heavily recruited at the undergraduate level by industry.

"They can get good jobs with bachelor's degrees with starting salaries in the $40,000 range," Eichhorn said.

The College of Engineering does not have an extensive minority recruiting program, Eichhorn said. It leaves recruitment to national organizations like PROMISE, which tries to get students interested in engineering in high school.

Kuh noted that an increase among African American males moving into engineering was mainly "because national organizations have tried to find (African American males) and encourage them."

The report also listed the mean GRE verbal, quantitative and analytical scores of 1991-92 examinees in the fields of study, and separated them by ethnicity.

In social sciences, arts and humanities, physical sciences, mathematics, computer sciences, biological sciences, engineering, education and business administration, whites scored the highest mean verbal and analytical scores.

Asian Americans scored highest in those fields in quantitative areas. African Americans had the lowest mean scores in verbal, analytical and quantitative areas in those fields.

The ETS scientists and Kuh provided no reasons for the results of those scores.

HUTCHISON PROPOSES GRANT SHIFT FROM PRISONERS TO STUDENTS

by Tawanta Feifer

U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison addressed the issue of more college funding in a voter drive Monday at the UC.

She proposed an amendment that would reduce the number of Pell Grants given to prisoners. The policy would increase the dollar amount of Pell Grants and the number of students eligible to receive them.

Jeff Fuller, executive director of the College Republicans, said, "She offered an amendment that freed up $100,000 for Pell Grants."

He said many prisoners receive grants because they are unable to work and therefore have no income, while many students who work are ineligible for grants, but don't make enough to live on and go to school.

"So the students are having to choose between working and going to school," Fuller said.

Ray Hill, producer of the "Prison Show" on KPFT, said the recently passed crime bill already reduces the number of prisoners eligible to receive Pell Grants. He said about 10 to 12 percent of prisoners in Texas qualify for grants and fewer than that actually use them. "Pell Grants are given to very well-motivated inmates," Hill said.

"There is no budget available for education assistance (in Texas). The only money available outside of Pell Grants is the profits earned from the (prison) commissary and the interest on the Inmate Trust Fund," Hill added.

He said inmates who go to college have the lowest rate of returning to crime. "The cost of tuition of books will reduce, by 50 percent, inmates' chances of returning to prison. It's such a small amount of money. It's the best money spent in the Texas criminal system."

Health care was another issue open for criticism at the drive.

Hutchison said, "We, Republicans and Democrats, together, killed that (health care reform bill) because it was bad." She said the Clinton plan was negative because it required a massive takeover of the system and would create 55 new bureaucracies. She said she opposed the bill because the government would decide who received treatment and when and where it would be given.

Hutchison said the Republicans are proposing a positive health care plan "that would require mandatory coverage once you buy it with automatic renewal."

Fuller said the unemployed would still receive state-supported health care and that students are eligible for care through the university.

BREAST CANCER ALERT

UH boosts awareness today with Pink Ribbon events

by Joey Guerra

Every three minutes, a woman will be diagnosed with breast cancer.

In an effort to promote public awareness of the disease, the UH Health Center, along with the Counseling and Testing Service, will sponsor the first annual Pink Ribbon Day, today from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in front of the University Center.

Brochures and informative videos on the prevention of breast cancer will be available, as well as professionals to counsel attendees on breast cancer prevention. Pink ribbons will be distributed to acknowledge October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

"I think we need to do a little more than just wear a ribbon," said Floyd Robinson, interim director of the UH Health Center and co-sponsor of the event. "We want to make people aware, stress prevention and modify for the future."

Over 180,000 cases of breast cancer are reported each year; surprisingly, 1000 of these cases are males.

"Men feel they don't have to worry about breast cancer because it is seen as a woman's problem," Robinson said. "It is important for males to do breast exams."

Support group contacts will be available, and Spanish-speaking professionals will also be on hand. Slides will be presented showing the process of surgically removing a breast.

"Some people have never seen that process. It is a shocking revelation," Robinson said.

Information will be available for spouses and care-givers of breast cancer survivors, as well as support group phone numbers for newly diagnosed patients.

"Breast cancer can be a really sensitive subject," said Shannon Boyer, a psychology intern with the Counseling and Testing Service.

To help combat this feeling, private discussions with breast cancer survivors and The Rose Breast Imaging Center will be held inside the STEPS Wellness Center, located in the UC, to ensure privacy.

The event will stress specific areas that usually go unnoticed, like prevention in minorities and breast cancer in men. Referral lists will be available for mammograms, and a drawing will be held for five free mammograms provided by The Rose, which works very closely with UH in providing care for breast cancer victims.

"Any kind of public education can save lives," said Amy Rigsby, technical director at The Rose. "Even if it just helps one person, it's all worth it."

The Rose will be on campus providing information, educational films and breast models to make the public aware of its choices when faced with this type of situation.

The Rose offers low-cost mammograms and financial assistance for those who qualify.

NO FRAT PARTIES HERE

Greek Festival a cultural collage

by Lynn Reinhardt

Cool weather drew thousands of Houstonians to the third day of the 28th Annual Greek Festival, held on the grounds of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral Sunday afternoon.

Always scheduled for the first full weekend in October, 1994 marks the first year the festival has been held on a Sunday. Judging by the huge crowds during the day, it was a perfect way for families to spend an afternoon. Sidewalks, courtyards and tents were packed with young and old alike. Baby strollers, wheelchairs and teenagers dotted the crowd.

Attendance generally runs between 25,000 to 40,000 over a three-day period, event chairman Mike Spartalis said. "We pride ourselves as one of the few festivals left that actually prepares all of our own food," he added.

In a congregation of 1,100 families, more than 600 church and community volunteers staff all the exhibits, booths, shops and displays, Spartalis said. Ten percent of the festival proceeds are given to Houston-area charities, he added.

Unlike the Italian Festival, which has moved to downtown, the Greek Festival is always held on the church grounds, said Jimmy Stamos, an event volunteer.

Planning for the festival begins in July of each year, Spartalis said. Much of the freezable food is prepared months in advance. Normally a festival favorite, 19,000 souvlaki shish kebabs were prepared the week before this year's event.

Souvlaki, Greek salad plates, gyros, beer and wine were just a few of the edibles available. Roaming from booth to booth, many folks bought homemade loaves of sweet bread, bottles of wine and boxes of pastries to take home.

In addition to food and pastry booths, highlights of the festival included crafts and special exhibits, traditional folk-dance performances, a special children's dance program and cathedral tours every 45 minutes.

An important part of the festival are the Greek dances, which reflect the customs, culture and traditional costumes of each region. Folk dance performances are from the islands (neesiotika), the mainland (demotika) and popular (laika).

Richly detailed costumes in deep jewel tones provided a bright splash of color for the children's folk dances. Loud, boisterous clapping, stomping, leaping, spinning and yelling accompanied their exuberant performances.

Shops and exhibit displays, held in the Polemanakos Education Building, offered everything from imported clothing, jewelry, food, books and CDs to hand-made crafts, Byzantine icons, religious pottery and artifacts.

Founded near Walker and Tranquility Park in downtown Houston in 1917, the church moved to its present site, located deep in the heart of the Montrose art district in 1952.

Designed to replicate the beautiful Byzantine-era cathedrals, the sanctuary has richly detailed stained-glass windows and ornate religious icons on walls, ceilings and screens.

On domed ceilings high above the altar, circular paintings of Christ and celebrated patron saints adorn the central dome and three smaller domes, forming a cross above the altar.

Inside the narthex, a long, rectangular sanctuary leads to the front altar. Crystal chandeliers shed soft light throughout the cathedral. An icon screen of angels, apostles and saints divides the front altar from the holy altar and the table of preparation.

A trio of stained-glass windows frame alcoves located on each side of the altar. Twelve circular religious icons form an arch across the central dome of the cathedral. A soft, red glow of votives casts candlelight across the front of the church.

Overwhelming in its magnificence, the cathedral created a sustained hush among many of the pews filled by normally rowdy festival visitors.

In contrast, the outside courtyard brimmed with noise and activity. Packed with festivities, booths and long lines, folks compared notes on food, beverages, T-shirts and souvenirs.

The best advice for next year is to get there early, as parking near the church is limited. Go hungry and ready to be entertained by a kaleidoscope of music, dances, sights and sounds.

And if you missed this year's festival, make plans now to attend the Clear Lake Greek Festival, scheduled for May 1995.

MAKE A DIFFERENCE

UH's Metropolitan Volunteer Program an outlet for student altruism

by A. Nett

Pssst! One of the best-kept secrets on campus is the Metropolitan Volunteer Program, where information about more than 200 volunteer opportunities in the Houston area is available for students on a walk-in basis.

MVP, a student-run and student-funded program, is a volunteer clearinghouse that links students and faculty with the community.

"UH is lucky to have MVP because it is an urban university. It makes community service accessible for students, and (service) can really enhance educational experiences," said Chalandra Robinson, program director.

MVP fulfills its role as an information center by housing a data base of students that fill out volunteer work request forms. Their names and addresses are supplied to organizations that deal with the issues in which the student is interested. Students in the data base also receive newsletters and information from MVP on volunteer fairs.

MVP is hosting a fall fair called "Work for a Change" from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday in the UC Arbor. Representatives from local nonprofit groups will be on hand to speak to students about volunteering and careers in nonprofit organizations.

In addition to promoting awareness and communication between Houston-area organizations and students, MVP also sponsors eight student-run groups, which are powered by students, with MVP serving as a resource for promoting, recruiting and advising.

Sophomore Dawn Frazier coordinates Habitat for Humanity, an Alternative Spring Break program sponsored by MVP. Last year, Frazier and a team of students helped build a home for a displaced family. She said that in addition to the feeling of accomplishment, community service gives students leadership skills.

"Working with MVP has given me the opportunity to lead," Frazier said, adding that her leadership experience will help her obtain a better position when she is looking for a job or applying to graduate schools.

David Daniell, assistant director of Campus Activities, said volunteer work can be a smart career move and stressed that volunteers learn important interaction skills.

"The intangible benefits of learning to work with people and being more socially and politically aware of issues are part of the rewards of community service," he said.

The greater rewards, Daniell said, are in taking care of your community.

"If you are from Houston, you should want to take care of your own. If you are not, you should treat Houston as your adopted community, and take care of it the way you expect people to take care of your community while you are gone," he said.

Robinson agrees. "It's all about awareness. Being out there makes it (issues) more real. You will know and understand more if you are out there in the community."

MVP is located in the UC Underground. For more information on MVP, call 743-5200.

FOREIGN-STUDENT AID FOUND ALL OVER UH WORLD

Melting pot of organizations with goal of helping transition to American way of life exists close to home

by Farnaz Dandia

As foreign students from all over the world arrive at UH, they are often uncertain of where to go and what to do. As a result, they usually turn to fellow students for help through student organizations and university programs.

Foreign students make up approximately 7 percent of UH's student body, according to 1993 statistics prepared by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Babita Patel, a junior pre-pharmacy major, who came to UH two years ago from Zambia, said, "When I first came to UH, I signed up to join the Indian Students' Association, but they never got in touch with me."

Patel later became involved with Amnesty International and is now very active in that organization.

ISA President Binoy Samuel responded, "It's hard to keep in touch with everybody. We've tried to keep in touch with the international students; we even have an international student representative now. There are relatively more international students in ISA."

Rashda Khan, a junior from Bangladesh, found the Council of Ethnic Organizations and the Student Program Board to be excellent organizations.

"SPB is a really good organization; they really try to fit you in. In SPB, I had a lot of fun, did a lot of things and had a social life," she said.

Julianne Robbins, director of CEO, said part of CEO's mission statement is to include the entire university community and to teach people about different cultures.

"I believe the students benefit more from the day-to-day experiences they have through interaction with other students. We assist international students just by existing because we expose them to people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds," she said.

Bradford Eu, president of the Chinese Students' Association, said CSA tries to help students by aiding them in getting housing in Chinese communities. He said his group also provides a chance for students to meet others like themselves.

"We want to provide a social orientation where international students can meet others who are like them. They will benefit more through these connections, by meeting people, than through the organizations themselves," Eu said.

Alisa Choi, an undeclared sophomore, moved to America from Hong Kong four years ago and has been attending UH for two years.

"When I first came, UH had a Chinese Students' Association and an Asian Students' Association, but there was nothing specifically for students from Hong Kong. But recently, a Hong Kong Students' Association has developed," she said.

Choi added that when she came to UH, she approached the International Students Organization, which directed her to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

The ISSSO serves over 2,000 international students, research scholars and foreign professors. They offer a variety of services, including help with immigration procedures, counseling and advising, a special orientation for international students and financial assistance.

ISSSO Director Anita Gaines said, "Once a student is admitted, we assist with pre-enrollment and orientation. This is held before the school semester begins and helps to give the international students an introduction to UH and the city of Houston."

The orientation consists of a four-day program that involves various speakers from within the university as well as tours of the library and information about housing, insurance and health care, Gaines explained, adding that one of the biggest problems encountered by international students is the financial one. This is often due to political difficulties in their home countries that they did not anticipate.

ISSSO helps these students with their finances through programs like the Texas Public Education Grant and emergency tuition loans through the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.

Gaines added that another common concern is cross-cultural adjustment. "ISSSO tries to help international students adjust by letting them know the new situations they encounter are normal.

"A large part of this involves helping the students with basic university procedures," she said. "We help them realize that there are stages of adjustment so they can recognize what they are going through. We let them know that most people experience difficulty when coming from different cultures and for the most part, they do adjust."

During orientation, the students are put into small groups where practical topics like language adjustment, the academic system and social issues are discussed.

ISSSO also takes part in the International Friendship Program, which is designed to meet the needs of international students by pairing them with an American family. The students visit the family's home and learn about American culture and tradition.

BASKETBALL BECKONS

Men's team looks to past for rebound

Have no fear. The Houston Cougars are back.

After finishing with an all-time low 8-19 regular season record last year and its first losing season since 1959, the Houston men's basketball team should return to the historical respectability it once enjoyed for the 35 seasons prior to 1993-'94.

If it should happen, much of this season's success could be attributed to the Cougars' strong finish last season, winning six of their last nine regular-season games before bowing to Texas Tech in the first round of the Southwest Conference Tournament March 10 in Dallas.

"The team struggled early in the season (last year)," said Houston head coach Alvin Brooks.

"That upward struggle was encouraging, and our fans became enthusiastic because they could see the light at the end of the tunnel."

That light could come into a brighter focus this season as the team returns nine players from a year ago, four of which were starters, and a freshman class ranked the sixth-best recruiting group in the nation, USA Today said.

"We have a chance to be a better team this year," Brooks said. "We have nine players who played a lot of minutes last season and we expect our new players to make big contributions."

Junior forward Tim Moore returns this year in hopes of besting last season in which the 6-7, 215-pounder led the team in both scoring and rebounding at 17.7 and 8.5 per game respectively.

Senior Jessie Drain also returns after a somewhat disappointing season in 1994, in which he was asked to be more of a scorer on a team that lost a lot of production from the preceding season. Drain, however, was still second on the team in scoring at 11.4 a contest.

Leading the charge for Houston's newcomers are freshmen Galen Robinson and Tommy Davis and college transfer Kenyon Capers.

The Cougars' most impressive freshman recruit, Robinson led the city of Houston in rebounding his last three seasons (14.1 per game) at MacArthur High School while also being selected all-state first team and MVP of District 21-5A last season.

Robinson owns 14 MacArthur school records, including the scoring and rebounding marks.

Davis was a star point guard for nationally third-ranked Los Angeles-Crenshaw High School last season, leading the team with 12 assists per game. Davis is expected to replace former Cougar star Anthony Goldwire, who was selected in the NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns.

Capers joins the team after an exceptional junior college career at Moberly College in Newark, N.J. An explosive scorer, Capers averaged 22.5 points per game and was an Honorable Mention All-American by Adidas Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.

LADY COOGS ADD TO LUCK OF LAST YEAR

The list boasts of five freshmen, four transfers, just three returnees and only two returning starters.

The list may not sound like much, but when you add one Luckey charm, it changes its entire complexion.

The Lady Cougar basketball team could have its most successful season ever despite the fact that nine of its 12 players for the upcoming season have never so much as put on a Cougar uniform.

Reasons for the optimism are that three of the four transfers have NCAA Tournament experience, while the five freshman were members of a group that was ranked as one of the top 10 recruiting classes in the nation, USA Today said.

Of course, having the leading scorer and rebounder from a year ago return to the team doesn't hurt either.

Sophomore Pat Luckey returns after a stellar freshman season in which she averaged 19 points and 8.7 rebounds per game on her way to first-team All-Southwest Conference honors and USA Today NCAA Freshman of the Year honorable mention.

Although she is ineligible this semester, once Luckey returns in mid- to late December, she should be in the starting lineup alongside senior Antoinette Isaac, second on the team in assists last season with 86.

As far as Cougar transfer stand-outs, Houston is blessed to have a pair of former Pac-10 players join its squad.

Junior guard Tanda Rucker was a member of the Stanford Cardinal's national championship team in 1992 and also helped lead Stanford to a 26-6 record in 1993.

Another junior guard, Stacey Johnson, was a freshman All-Pac-10 selection in 1992 for the Arizona State Sun Devils after leading the team in scoring and steals, while also reaching the NCAA Tournament.

"(Rucker) is a great passer and instinctively gives the ball to the right people at the right time, while Stacey's quickness from the guard spot makes things happen," said Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw.

Leading the charge for the Houston freshmen should be 5-11 small forward Jennifer Jones from Chicago, Ill. According to reports, Jones can score inside and on the perimeter and has even been called "the Charles Barkley of women's basketball."

"We have a tremendous opportunity to have a great year," Kenlaw said. "I am looking forward to the challenge of generating the excitement, enthusiasm, confidence and level of competitiveness necessary to accomplish our goals for the year."

TEXAS A&M BIDS FAREWELL TO DOME

Head coach, athletic director cite possibility of series ending with SWC

Amid Texas A&M's 38-7 thrashing of Houston Saturday, recent reports indicate it may be the last game in the Dome between the two teams for a long, long time.

A&M athletic director Wally Groff was quoted in the Houston Chronicle last week as saying the school was "not planning" to schedule UH in future years.

So far, UH athletic director Bill Carr has said any future scheduling decision "remains to be seen." Cougar head football coach Kim Helton declined comment, saying he could not be in a position to affect the schedule anyway.

After Saturday's game, however, Aggie head coach R.C. Slocum expressed some thoughts on the subject.

"I think we've got to look at the whole Big 12 scheduling thing," Slocum said. "We're going to do what's best for A&M, to see what presents the most attractive options for us in terms of scheduling.

"I know early on it's going to be pretty complicated fitting in all the Big 12 games and we've already got other games scheduled, so I don't anticipate (playing UH) any time soon."

The Aggies lead the Cougars 18-12-3 all-time, having played UH once a year since it joined the Southwest Conference in 1971.

"We've had some exciting memories down here," Slocum said. "I was involved in the game where we kicked off at 11 or whatever at night and played half the night."

The Cougars' last victory over the Aggies fit the bill of exciting. On Oct. 13, 1990, Houston, ranked No. 12 in the nation at the time, rallied from a 24-7 deficit at the half to triumph 36-31 at the Dome in front of 45,141.

"As you go through life, you have memories of all kinds of situations, and this is one where we've had some exciting football games," Slocum said.

"You package those memories as you go to the next chapter. It's been fun, but let's move on."

************************************************************************************************************************************************

BALLET TO SPORT BIRDS, KINGS, GYPSIES, PIRATES

by Deanna Koshkin

Mexico's most acclaimed ballet troupe, Compañía Nacional de Danza, will be performing at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Jones Hall. The Society for the Performing Arts will be premiering this ballet for the first time in Houston.

The Compañía Nacional de Danza was formed in 1963. Since then, it has maintained its three objectives: keeping a classical repertoire as a fundamental element for all times, rescuing works that are important from an artistic or historic viewpoint within Mexican choreography and presenting works in which creators can express the cultural life of our times.

Audience members are encouraged to learn more about the program by attending an informal discussion before the show. The audience will have the opportunity to ask questions pertaining to the works or the choreography itself. The discussion will begin at 7:30 p.m. both evenings in the lobby of Jones Hall.

The program begins with <I>Fanfarría<P>, inspired by the French, about the time of Louis XIV, during whose reign the arts and dance in particular blossomed.

<I>Le Corsaire Pas de Deux<P> is a ballet with a complicated plot involving the pirate Conrad, the hero, and his heroine Medora. This ballet is growing in popularity in Russia.

The third ballet performed is <I>Rara Avis<P>, which includes three pieces for three soloists. The ballerinas are represented as the peacock, the hummingbird and the eagle.

The program finale is <I>Carmen<P>, the story of a beautiful gypsy who defends herself, her identity and her freedom. She is forced to struggle against the opposing forces as the populace becomes the jury. In the end, tormented and desperate, she chooses death before losing her pride.

The Society for the Performing Arts is also sponsoring a ballet master class 4 p.m. Thursday at the Jewish Community Center, located at 5601 Braeswood. It is for intermediate- to advanced-level dancers and will focus on ballet style and techniques. Registration and observation fees are $3.50 in advance or $5 at the door. For more information, call 729-3200, ext. 3223.

Tickets for the ballet range from $8 to $42 and are available at the Houston Ticket Center in Jones Hall and the Wortham Ticket Center, as well as at all Ticketmaster locations. Tickets can be charged by phone at 227-ARTS. For a limited time, the UH Dance Department is offering half-price tickets, available for a limited time in Room 228, Melcher Gym.

REV TEACHES LESSONS YOU DIDN'T LEARN IN SUNDAY SCHOOL

by D. McAdams

If you missed the Reverend Horton Heat's show Friday at the Abyss, you should flog yourself once a day for an entire week. It was Texas rock at its finest.

Opening for the Rev were Tenderloin (from Kansas City) and Lucy's Fur Coat (out of good old San Diego).

The guys in Tenderloin seemed as though they were going to have fun no matter how many people sat on the floor in head-bobbing ambivalence. To say these guys were original would be a gross understatement. They played a Southern/Midwestern hardcore country rock that my friend and I mutually agreed rocked (but apparently didn't rock enough to get our asses off the floor in appreciation).

Next up was Lucy's Fur Coat. Call me a tried and true Texan if you will, but I'm usually a little bit more than skeptical when a band named Lucy's Fur Coat takes the stage and its hippie-reject-looking lead singer announces they're from Southern California. I was in for an extremely pleasant surprise.

They took to the stage and immediately began to unleash a torrent of whip-lashing distortion on the crowd. Hell, their song, which had a chorus of "It's great/No, it's super" was so good I actually stood up.

And finally, after what had to have been at the very least a 20-minute equipment change, the Reverend Horton Heat, with his accomplices Taz (drums) and the soon-to-be-wed Jimbo (stand-up bass), took to the stage. If you paid for that show, you got your money's worth, because the Rev kicked ass.

I could feel those evil demons being cast out of me at the finish of each song. Simply put, the Rev is one of the finest guitarmeisters I've heard to date. The things he does to that guitar should be made illegal.

The first song they launched into, "Big Sky," was the first cut from their new release, <I>Liquor in the Front<P>, followed by "Baddest of the Bad." All three of those guys give new meaning to the phrase, "Protestant work ethic," especially Jimbo, who slapped that bass like there was no tomorrow.

Songs they really ripped on were "Cruisin’ for a Bruisin’," "Five-O Ford" and "One Time for Me," a song in which the Rev pleads for his significant other to use her "toy" and put on a "show." I don't remember THAT lesson in Sunday school.

The Abyss "staph" (How clever ... not!) was OK and there weren't nearly as many of those idiots who think moshing is an excuse to vent their frustrations without reprisal.

My one complaint was the heat, which was damn near unbearable even by Houston standards. Taking the conditions of the place into account, my respect for the Reverend Horton Heat only increased, considering they played an hour-plus set in that steamy, sweaty hole. On the whole, a good time was had by all.