ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS GLOBE-TROT

Program offers chance to study in Saintes, France

by Niki Purcell

Upper-level architecture students can study the past while living in a present-day architectural environment at the UH Center for the Study of Architecture in Saintes, France.

The Center was established in 1990 by UH and the City of Saintes (pronounced "Sant") as a year-round teaching and research facility for students and faculty.

Students can see first-hand what they have been studying pictures of for four years.

The goal is to provide a place for UH students to extend the boundaries of their studies beyond the familiar setting of the campus and the community.

Saintes' city officials offered the support of their city in 1989 to UH's College of Architecture as a place for the college's students to study and work.

Twelve students in their final year of study are eligible for the program offered each semester. Their approval is based on their previous UH accomplishments at UH. Once selected, the students live and work in the center and participate in the everyday lives of the host community.

John Middleton, a fifth-year architecture major, spent a year in France on the program.

"You really become a part of their community. The people really get excited when they see you. The people there make you feel really welcome. I made many new friends that I write to and plan on going back and seeing," he said.

Middleton, 31, spent from August 1993 to June 1994 on an extended program.

"I had a very hard time leaving. I changed my flight (to the states) about five times. My mother thought I was never coming home," he said.

The City of Saintes is located 70 miles north of Bordeaux in southwest France.

Saintes, the capital of southwest Gaul during the Roman occupation, has a variety of Roman architectural structures still standing today.

According to <I>Saintonge <P> (pronounced San-tage), Saintes possesses a wealth of architecture ranging from the first century to today.

<I>Saintonge <P> is edited by Robert H. Timme, dean of the College of Architecture, and Bahareh Oriez, an architecture student in the program in spring 1992.

During the 12th century, Saintes became the center for Romanesque churches.

"It is very hard to describe to other students. You are constantly overwhelmed daily by your surroundings. Imagine seeing, hearing and studying a photo of a hamburger for four years and then being offered a plate with McDonald's and other wonderful hamburgers that you can see and touch and taste and smell. That's what it was like being there," Middleton said.

Houston's West University Place is the sister city of Saintes, which has formed strong ties within the Houston community.

Originally, the program was established to serve an important need for the college to allow and encourage students to experience and understand the architecture and urban spaces of European tradition – the foundation for American architecture and urbanism.

The <I>Saintonge<P>booklet says the tradition seeks to convey the presentation of work achieved at the center. Future issues of <I>Saintonge <P> will feature topical and programmatic themes.

"For the young people who participate, to work and study at the center is a valued experience offering opportunities to travel and study in a culture that is so different from their own," <I>Saintonge <P>says.

"Over 100 students have participated in the program since 1990," Timme said.

"I would definitely recommend the program to others. But if (the student) is prone to homesickness, or is shy or doesn't know the language very well, then they would have a problem enjoying all the aspects this program has to offer and I would advise them to wait another year," Middleton said.

The program consists of three sessions, each a three-month period.

"It is a very intensive program that requires seven days a week of intense learning and studying," Timme added.

"The program is very demanding – you never get away unless you make it a point to," Middleton said, adding that being only three hours from other European countries was a plus for him to get away. "After the program, students have matured and realize they can conduct business on an international scale rather than just in Texas or the nation," Timme said.

Any student at the University of Houston is eligible to apply for the program, but only architecture courses are taught.

The cost to students is about $3,500 per semester, which includes living, traveling and air fare expenses.

Middleton said he probably spent $16,000-$17,000 on the program. "But I have been told I did a lot of shopping while I was there.

"I would go again tomorrow," he said.

A copy of <I>Saintonge <P> is available to all architecture students and faculty at no cost and can be picked up in the dean's office at the College of Architecture.

Interviews for the fall 1995 program will be held in February and March. Further information can be received at the College of Architecture at UH Entrance 16 off Elgin.

*******************************************************

STUDENTS DIAL 'A' FOR ARREST IN THEFT CASE

by Marlene Yarborough

Two UH students are out on bond after being jailed on Oct. 6, charged with abusing school-funded long-distance phone codes.

Mohammad Faisal Owais, 20, worked in the UH law library and was given a long-distance phone code to facilitate his duties, a large part of which involved sending facsimiles, said John Brook, the prosecuting attorney.

Owais allegedly began to use the code in January to call his fiancee and family in Pakistan. He allegedly rung up $28,160.87 after nine months and 1,161 calls. Owais is charged with a third-degree felony and a Class B misdemeanor. Sentences for the felony offense range from two to 10 years in prison and/or up to $10,000 in fines.

The misdemeanor is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and $1,500 in fines, said Chuck Noll, chief of the public integrity division of the district attorney's office.

Owais allegedly shared the phone codes with his roommate, Asim Parekh, 20, who worked with the Optometry College and allegedly made five calls between May and June totaling $276, Brooks said.

Parekh is charged with a Class C misdemeanor, with the possibility of a $200 fine, Noll said. Owais was officially charged with theft of service and Parekh with credit card abuse.

The thefts were uncovered during a routine audit and investigated by the campus police, said Geri Konigsberg, director of Media Relations.

"UH has an internal audit in place; it needs tighter control. We know this type of action is not widespread. It is unfortunate, and UH will look at improving its internal control," Konigsberg said.

Don Guyton, director of UH internal auditing, said he was unable to talk about the specifics of the case. However, he said there is not a comprehensive audit set up for the phone system in the plan approved in August.

Every department is responsible for reviewing its long-distance usage from a monthly telephone computer report, Guyton said.

"Phone audits are currently part of a comprehensive college review that happens approximately every five to six years," said Guyton, "however, all colleges within the university are subject to routine audits at any time."

The students were fired from their campus jobs, and their status as students will be evaluated by the Office of Student Affairs.

UH is seeking full restitution and pressing criminal charges, Konigsberg said. Both Owais and Parekh are awaiting trial.

COUGARS BREAK PONIES, RACK UP W

DALLAS – All season long, the Cougars had been like a time bomb just waiting to explode.

But when that bomb finally went off Saturday, its echoes could be heard continuously throughout the mostly-empty Cotton Bowl.

In a monumental game from a historical standpoint, the Cougars (1-5 overall, 1-1 in the Southwest Conference) lowered the boom on the Southern Methodist Mustangs (1-6, 0-3) 39-33 before a crowd of 11,400 to earn their first victory outside the city of Houston since Dec. 1, 1990, breaking a string of 18 consecutive outside-of-Houston defeats.

The victory also averted a chance for Houston to break the school record for consecutive losses, which stood at 10 going into Saturday.

"All along, Houston was just waiting to explode," said SMU linebacker Chris Bordano. "They picked today to do it."

The Cougars ran silly over a beleaguered Mustangs defense for 498 yards, Houston's most offensive production since a Nov. 28, 1992, 674-yard effort against Rice in a 61-34 victory during the John Jenkins Run-and-Shoot era.

Cougar sophomore running back Jermaine Williams ran for 215 of those yards, scoring three touchdowns while enjoying the best day for a Houston back since a 218-yard performance by Chuck Weatherspoon on Nov. 5, 1988.

"The offensive line did good blocking for me," Williams said. "(Fellow running backs) Bobby Rodriquez and Ryan Burton really helped open up some big holes for me."

Before Saturday's kickoff, Houston had scored a total of only 27 points through its first five games. However, after the third-quarter gun sounded, the Cougars had rung up 31.

The 39 total points were the most points scored in a game by the Cougars in the Kim Helton era and the most since the 1992 victory over Rice.

"(The game) was a great job by our offensive line and running backs," Helton said.

However, the performance of quarterback Chad O'Shea was not to be outdone. With regular starter Clay Helton out with an injury, the junior from Sugar Land filled in impressively, completing 17 of 27 passes for 246 yards and two touchdowns.

The first scoring toss came on a 21-yard strike over the middle to tight end Chris Herold at the 6:57 mark of the first quarter, giving Houston a 7-0 lead. The play marked the first time this season the Cougars had enjoyed a lead and scored in any quarter other than the fourth.

The O'Shea-Herold hookup was also the first time a Houston tight end had scored a touchdown since Oct. 19, 1985, when Gerald Landry found Carl Hilton from 10 yards out.

However, SMU was still in a position to pull out the victory with the fourth quarter seconds from winding down. Unable to stop Mustang quarterback Ramon Flanigan and the Ponies' Run-and-Shoot attack on four consecutive touchdown drives in the second half, the Cougars were forced to face the SMU offense one final time.

But a key eight-yard sack by Cougar defensive lineman Mike Meux on a third-and-14 from the Houston 35 eventually killed the rally, as the Mustangs were then unable to convert on fourth down.

"Our defense won the game for us in the end," Coach Helton said. "(SMU) made it difficult for us to match up with their offense."

Houston's offense had little trouble matching up. The Cougars' fourth-quarter touchdown marked the fifth consecutive Cougar drive that ended in points being put on the scoreboard.

"I've never thought of us as a bad offense," Coach Helton said, referring to Houston's recent offensive woes. "I see people open, but you have to be able to throw (the ball) and complete it.

"I think we did that today."

FRAT SEEKS ACCEPTANCE

by James V. Geluso

A formerly quiet fraternity made up of gay men is coming out of the closet this semester. With all the hype during last week's National Coming Out Day, this should not be a surprise.

The members of Delta Lambda Phi have decided to be more active in campus life this semester. Already, they have conducted an aggressive rush that has brought in eight pledges, and members say a community-service project is in the works.

According to Brian Greul, Delta Lambda Phi's public relations chairman, the fraternity was founded in Washington, D.C., eight years ago. The UH chapter was founded six years ago and has a total of 21 initiated brothers, including seven currently active members.

Delta Lambda Phi is not currently recognized as a fraternity by the Interfraternity Council. In order to gain IFC recognition, a fraternity must have 25 active undergraduate members, or else be recognized by the National Interfraternity Council. Greul said the Delphis, as they like to be called, are pursuing recognition by the NIC.

The Delphis celebrated their Founders' Day (Oct. 15) by sponsoring a College Night at Rich's, a local nightclub, Friday night. Other activities are in the works, including a major project for the university, Greul added, but he refrained from commenting on the nature of the project until plans could be confirmed.

Greul said many think of the Delphis as being a gay fraternity, but he disagrees with that perception. "We are not a gay fraternity," he said. "We are a fraternity that happens to be made up of gay men. The fraternity part comes first."

Delta Lambda Phi is not necessarily gay, either. "We are a nationally based progressive social fraternity that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation," Greul said, adding that he does not know whether anyone in the fraternity is straight. "We don't question anyone about their sexual orientation. Some of our members are still fairly closeted."

Kirk Cooper, rush chairman for the fraternity, said there are supposedly at least two straight members nationwide, but he has never met them.

The decision to take a higher profile this year led to many changes within the fraternity. The relaxed rush of the last few years was changed this year to an aggressive rush, and the fraternity created a new executive post, director of public relations.

So far, the decision to seek a higher profile led to an article in the Houston Post and a radio interview on KPFT-FM. Greul said the community reaction has been favorable, and he expects it to remain so.

"The only problems we've had so far were from a few individuals in fraternities, but when we talked to their chapter leaders, the problem stopped immediately," he said. "The other fraternities have been very friendly."

O'SHEA JUMP-STARTS COOGS TO 1ST VICTORY

When a quarterback gets his first start for a new school, it is usually preceded by much anticipation. For Houston quarterback Chad O'Shea, the news came right before game time.

After the team stretched and went back into the locker room, about 25 minutes before kickoff, head coach Kim Helton told O'Shea he would get the start over current starting quarterback Clay Helton against Southern Methodist Saturday in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

What resulted was the best offensive output in years for the Cougars as they defeated the Mustangs 39-33.

Aside from leading the Cougars to their first victory this season, O'Shea also put up great stats of his own.

On the day, O'Shea completed 17 of 27 passes for 246 yards and two touchdowns and only had one pass intercepted.

"Chad O'Shea showed a lot of courage playing with a bruised left hand at the end of the game. He showed some great leadership," coach Helton said. "I thought it was a great college football game. He made some great plays."

Some of those plays included a 21-yard touchdown pass to tight end Chris Herold for the first first-quarter touchdown for the Cougars this year. The score put Houston up 7-0.

"The first-quarter touchdown was a catalyst for the game," O'Shea said. "If we didn't go down and score, it would have been a whole different ballgame."

Other highlights included a 40-yard strike to receiver Damion Johnson. This pass came in the middle of a 75-yard touchdown drive to end the first half. O'Shea also added two points of his own on a conversion in the fourth quarter as he dove over the line and was upended.

O'Shea came to Houston from Marshall University, where he completed seven of 13 passes for two touchdowns. Saturday was his first start since he set school records at St. Xavier High School.

The Sugar Land native is now waiting to see what will happen next week when the Cougars face Texas Christian in the Astrodome.

"Clay Helton is the quarterback when he is healthy," O'Shea said. Coach Helton agreed.

"I doubt if he'll be the starter. I don't think you can lose your job if you're hurt," Coach Helton said. "If Clay comes back and plays poorly, he'll lose.

"We won't have a quarterback controversy."

But it may be hard to keep a quarterback on the bench when he leads a team to its first victory, scores more points than the team had combined for the season and racks up its most yardage since 1992. Despite all this, O'Shea remained nonplussed as he shared the credit.

"The credit has to go to the offensive line," he said. "We all prepared and expected to win for a change."

The offense changed a little too. The running and passing games set each other up and gave the Cougar offense an extra dimension on fourth down.

"We felt like we had to open up the offense to win the game," O'Shea said. "I'm very, very pleased (coach Helton) gave me the opportunity."

An opportunity of which he made the most.

LADY COUGARS STREAK PAST OKLAHOMA 3-1

The No. 24 Cougar volleyball team moved its record to 11-3 and won its eighth straight match with a 3-1 victory over Oklahoma Friday night in Norman, Okla.

Houston (5-0 in the Southwest Conference) won 9-15, 15-10, 15-12, 15-9. Senior Lilly Denoon-Chester once again led the UH attack with 21 kills and 11 digs.

Marie-Claude Tourillon hit .344 with 17 kills against the Sooners after a 13-kill, 12-dig, .458 effort against Texas A&M Wednesday. The sophomore from Montreal has a hitting percentage of .395 in her last four matches.

Other Cougar standouts were senior Carla Maul (10 kills, 18 digs) and sophomore setter Sami Sawyer, who had a season-high 61 assists and hit .333 with five kills.

Houston also recorded 76 kills as a team, its highest total of the year. The first-game loss was one of only four for the Cougars in the last four weeks.

Kartina Sullivan led Oklahoma with 20 kills, hitting .325. The Sooners played poor defense, recording only 33 digs to the Cougars' 55, with no Oklahoma player getting a dig total in double figures.

Baylor will host UH Wednesday, putting the Cougars' undefeated SWC mark to the test once again. Texas comes to Hofheinz Saturday in a match to be televised Sunday at 5 p.m. and Nov. 1 at 1 p.m. on HSE, both on tape delay.

Houston may be in line for its best season ever. Though no team other than Texas has won the SWC women's volleyball title, the Cougars are halfway through the conference season and have played every SWC opponent without a loss.

The team has toppled nationally ranked Texas and Ohio State this season, the Longhorns defeat coming in three straight games.

<I>OUTRAGEOUS ANIMATION<P> JUST PLAIN STINKS

by Jim Presnell

Let me begin by saying that I've always been a devotee of good animation – especially when it's a creatively written and produced project that hits some of the basic emotional targets.

The annual <I>International Tournee of Animation<P> remains a good example. <I>Eek the Cat<P> (now known as <I>Eek Stravaganza<P>), aired every Saturday morning on Fox, has its charms, as do Nickelodeon's <I>Dangermouse<P> and <I>Count Duckula<P>.

But <I>Too Outrageous Animation<P>, showing at the Greenway 3, contains little if any content with any intrinsic value. It seems to be simply a shockfest, giving free rein to 'humor' having to do with sexual adventurism, excretory and digestive functions, and dismemberment of humans and animals.

Particularly loathsome was the tale "Liver, Lust and Louie," a paean to amputee love by Caren Scarpulla. Although its stylistic touches do remind one of the classic 1950s 'love comix,' the revolting nature of the lovers' successive injuries dulls the mind to the wry touches and sleek retro look.

Then there's "Little Rude Riding Hood," Mike Grimshaw's raunchy tale in which the motorist wolf tells Little Red that a ride to Grandpa's will "Cost ya a blow job." Red replies, "Whip it out and start drivin."

The more tasteful pieces here stand out like very sore thumbs. One example would be Voltaire's "Rakthavira," an East Indian-tinged, many-headed vision of hell with a futuristic Barbie doll who performs oral sex by her satanic majesty's request. Debbie Harry provides the narration.

Most of the stuff here just plain stinks. There is very little reflection of good taste, good storytelling or anything good, period.

A wasteland of gutter humor, bathroom jokes, raunchy sex and depraved humans and animals, <I>Too Outrageous Animation<P> has very little to recommend it – virtually no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

MICROBREWERY HAS GOOD BEER, GREAT FOOD

by Jim Presnell

The Rock Bottom Brewery at 6111 Richmond recently opened its doors with a new concept in restaurants: Rock Bottom is a brew pub with fine food.

What this means is Rock Bottom brews its own ale and provides a superior product compared with most of the commercially available brews. Recent changes in many states' liquor laws have allowed microbreweries to serve their own product right on the premises.

The first Rock Bottom was opened in Denver at the base of Prudential Plaza, hence the name. Its originators desired something of an English pub concept, but decided to do something extra, and hit on the microbrewery trend.

With its great food and good ale, Rock Bottom in Denver soon became one of the 100 busiest restaurants in America.

Colorado itself has the highest proportion of microbreweries in the nation. The company is listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange as "BREW."

To move into the Richmond corridor, Rock Bottom spent $2.5 million sprucing up its lease space, and it shows. The place is no-frills, but nice, and the brewery is visible through glass walls up front. Several 35-inch TVs dot the interior, even on the patio by the icehouse-style pool room. A satellite dish sits out back.

At a recent dinner, we sampled several of the entrees, tried a few of the hearty appetizers and had a few of the tasty wheat ales.

Everything was well-prepared and delicious. The restaurant attempts to utilize local ingredients when possible, a laudable goal.

Among the appetizers, the shrimp fritters were fluffy and tasty. The Asiago Cheese Dip was light and refreshing with crunchy rounds of beer bread baked specially for dipping. Mango and black-bean wontons, as unusual a taste as they sound, proved to be quite a taste treat.

Among the entrees, the buffalo fajitas were excellent. If you're not familiar with buffalo meat, it is very similar to beef, but more flavorful and lower in fat content. As these animals multiply and spread back into states other than Colorado and South Dakota (big producers of buffalo meat at the moment), we'll see more of these fine products. We had to ask for more tortillas because everyone loved those fajitas.

The spinach and montrachet ravioli were a tasty treat. The sauce, made up of jalapeños and tomatoes, was a real scorcher.

The chicken-fried steak, not usually one of my favorites, was pretty good here, but a little tough to chew. That's where it becomes evident that it's not just molded ground meat, I suppose.

The roasted-chicken enchiladas were good as well.

The desserts, including a brownie with raspberry sauce and ice cream and a rather luscious carrot cake, proved sinfully rich.

Altogether, our meal for four with several good ales, four entrees, three appetizers and two desserts to split between us came in at a sticker price of less than $80. Not a bad deal.

Sample the ales and the Rock Bottom while you're there. From a very light, pale ale to a lusty red and a stout brown, they're excellent. Here's a new place destined for success, with good ale, good food and great service.

For more information on the Rock Bottom Brewery, telephone 974-BREW.