RESEARCH GOAL FOR FUNDING WITHIN REACH

by Jennifer Smith

The University of Houston is very close to achieving its mark of $60 million a year in research funds, with levels reaching an all-time high in August.

In 1982-’83, the year before the $60 million-a-year goal was set, the university brought in $13.5 million annually. In fiscal year 1993-’94, which concluded in August, UH researchers brought in $55.4 million in grants and funding.

Former UH President Richard Van Horn set a goal 10 years ago of research bringing in $60 million each fiscal year. The amount of funding brought in annually has more than quadrupled over an 11-year period.

"I am very pleased, naturally," said Thomas Jones, associate vice president for Research.

The steady increase in research funds can be accounted for by the endeavors of certain heavily-funded projects, Jones said, including the Texas Center for Superconductivity, the Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center and others.

In addition to these nationally-funded projects, UH is also attracting more locally-funded projects. For example, the city of Houston is currently funding a study by UH faculty researchers into cost reduction by quality management of Houston water systems.

As the number of projects has increased, the need for research assistants has, also. Jones said there is now quadruple the work to be done.

According to Jones, there are now four times as many research assistants employed as there were 11 years ago.

Jones added that 52 percent of research funds go to research costs, while the remainder goes to salaries.

Approximately 350 students are employed by UH as research assistants.

*******************************************************

LATINO ENGINEERS HONORED

Conference gives Hispanics boost in tech confidence

by Joey Guerra

The 1994 Hispanic Engineer National Achievement Awards Conference commenced Thursday as professionals and students from across the nation gathered to honor Hispanic Americans who have contributed to the fields of science and technology.

The sixth annual conference, which ran through Saturday at the downtown Hyatt Regency, provided professional engineers and students with networking and career opportunities.

This year's hosts were UH, Rice University and Hispanic Engineer magazine. Friday, the Houston chapter of the Society of Mexican American Engineers and Scientists welcomed all other MAES participants.

"The main objective of HENAAC is to recognize the contingency of Latinos in engineering and science," said Frank Moreno, national vice president of the professional chapter of MAES. He also serves as president of the local Texas Gulf Coast chapter of MAES.

Moreno said it is important to expose students to role models and give them information on college and career choices. He cites the lack of Latino representation in engineering and sciences as a primary reason for HENAAC.

"The dropout rate is so high in high school, and there are very few role models for the children," Moreno said.

MAES, along with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, is represented in a big way at HENAAC. Student chapters from colleges and universities all over the country were in attendance, participating in a career fair that provided them with opportunities for summer jobs and co-op programs. Permanent positions were offered to graduating seniors.

Local junior high and high school students took part in seminars and career fairs that provided information on colleges and careers in technical fields. The Promotion and Awareness of Careers in Engineering program offers an outreach to elementary, junior high and high school students. It is run by the student chapters of MAES and receives grants from NASA and other industries.

PACE visits predominantly Hispanic high schools in the Houston area to encourage students to attend. The program also works at gearing students toward engineering as a career choice.

"Hispanics tend to participate less in technical fields," said Yaramy Trevino, president of the UH chapter of MAES. He said MAES members participate in PACE and often hold field trips in which high school students can visit the college campus and participate in technical contests and tours.

"It's a chance for the students to learn and have a little fun as well with math and science," said Trevino, who is attending HENAAC along with other members of the UH chapter of MAES.

Along with students and professionals, HENAAC also attracts celebrity guests. The 1993 master of ceremonies was Martin Sheen. This year's celebrity host is actor Cheech Marin.

"HENAAC brings in big-name people," said Reinaldo Ruiz, a UH mechanical engineering graduate. Once those people are at the conference, it can go toward educating them on careers in technology.

The main event for HENAAC was the awards banquet and ceremony Saturday. Students and professionals honored Hispanic Americans whose contributions in science and technology best illustrated innovation, hard work and achievement.

Some of the awards given out included Engineer of the Year and Lifetime Achievement. Local recipients included Enrique Barrera, a professor at Rice University, who received the award for Outstanding Technical Academia.

Griselda Mani, MAES president at Rice, said HENAAC is very important in letting students know about the careers they can choose in engineering. "Freshmen need a lot of help in a lot of little things; HENAAC can help them out," she said.

NATIONAL MERIT STATISTICS REVISED

by Jennifer Smith

The number of students classified as National Merit Scholars at UH is actually much lower than previously reported, Office of Admissions officials revealed last week.

In an article published in the Sept. 30 edition of The Daily Cougar, Office of Admissions Director Robert Sheinkopf noted a loss of Merit Scholars choosing UH as freshmen and spoke of plans to increase recruitment in those areas. The article stated the number of National Merit scholars who chose UH dropped to 73 scholars this year from 79 in 1993.

The number of Merit students who chose UH this year and last year were both lower than previously stated.

Sheinkopf said the number of Merit students who chose UH this year, given in The Daily Cougar's previous article, was not documented. The numbers given, he said, were actually the Office of Admissions' prediction of the number of Merit students who could have chosen UH rather than documented numbers.

In fact, the numbers as confirmed by the Office of Admissions show a significant decrease than was previously forecast.

In 1993, UH attracted 64 National Merit students and 11 National Achievement students for a total of 75 – four students lower than what the office had previously reported. In 1994, UH attracted 55 National Merit Students and 10 National Achievement students, for a total of 65 – eight students lower than the figures the office previously stated.

The numbers reported on Sept. 30 indicated a 7 percent drop in National Merit students. With the new figures coming to light, the drop in National Merit scholars who chose UH is closer to 8.5 percent this year from last year.

National Merit Scholars are students who meet the National Merit Scholarship Corp.'s Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) selection index requirement for their states and who have a good high school academic record and high SAT score.

National Achievement students are African American students who meet the National Achievement PSAT selection index requirement and who have a good high school academic record and high SAT score.

Because the National Achievement and National Merit programs are both projects of the National Merit Scholarship Corp., National Merit and National Achievement students are ordinarily lumped together by admissions offices of colleges and universities.

MEGAFAITHS

Christianity, Islam examined

by Farnaz Dandiaby

Adherents of the two largest religions in the world, including famed Houston Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon, will meet in a three-day dialogue starting at 1 p.m. today at the University Center.

The Christian-Muslim Dialogue, presented by the Muslim Students’ Association, will feature Sheikh Ammar Amonette, an Islamic theologian, and will include Houston Rockets center and 1993-’94 National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player Hakeem Olajuwon as a guest speaker.

Amonette, who comes from the Islamic Center of Boulder, Colo., converted to Islam from Christianity at the age of 18 and studied in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, for 12 years at Umm Al-Qara University, where he earned a bachelor's and a master's degree.

The first topic to be discussed and debated today will be "Jesus Christ in Christianity and Islam." Father Isidore from the Catholic Newman Center will represent the Christian perspective. The Muslim point of view will be represented by Amonette.

On Wednesday, the topic of discussion will be "Jesus Christ: Perspectives from the Scriptures." Lynn Mitchell, coordinator of Religious Studies in the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication, will be representing the Christian perspective.

The final topic Thursday will be, "Is the Bible the word of God?" The event will feature the Rev. George Atkinson, a pastor at Westbury United Methodist Church.

MSA Officer Yasir Kazi said, "We (the MSA) are sponsoring this dialogue in order to further an understanding of both faiths (Christianity and Islam), and to make people aware of what the Muslims believe."

Christianity, as many of its followers state, stems from the life, teachings and death of Jesus Christ. According to many of Christianity's tenets, the religion places God as the Father Almighty who, as a just and merciful creator and sustainer of the universe, works redemptively through the Holy Spirit for man’s salvation.

It affirms Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, who proclaimed to man the gospel of salvation. Christians recognize the New Testament as the book of sacred scripture.

Islam's followers profess belief in Allah (God) as the sole deity, in Muhammed as the last prophet of Allah and in the Quran as his final word. Islam also believes in all the prophets before Muhammed, including Jesus and Moses.

"There are a lot of misunderstandings about Islam," Kazi added. "Through this dialogue, we hope to increase awareness about Islam and to enlighten Christians about the Bible and its position in Islam."

Special guests during the three-day dialogue will include Ted Estess, dean of the UH Honors College, and Basheer Khumawala, accounting professor in the College of Business Administration.

All dialogues will take place from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the UC Underground's World Affairs Lounge.

FRONTIER FIESTA PLANNING KICKS OFF WITH 'DIVERSIFIED' PARTY IN MIND

by Marlene Yarborough

Frontier Fiesta gets under way today with an organizational meeting for all interested students.

At 4 p.m. in the Cougar Den, Thasunda Brown, director of special events for Frontier Fiesta, will host the meeting.

"The meeting will show students and organizations how to get involved in Frontier Fiesta," said Brown, adding, "It will combine groups who have and have not been involved in the event before and get a dialogue going between them on what does and does not work."

This is the first meeting of this type. The Frontier Fiesta Association is attempting to engage new talent and ideas into the project while it is still in its infancy.

"This is a time to come if you have ideas about Frontier Fiesta and start being a part of the planning," Brown said.

The meeting is also for students who want to find out what the festival is about. "If a person or group is unsure if they have the time or funds to get involved, this meeting will show how they can combine their talents with other groups," she said.

Valérie Fouché, FFA's external marketing board director, said, "Frontier Fiesta is coming of age. We are keeping the old and adding the new. Frontier Fiesta is not just a Western theme. The booths and the food type can be anything. Once inside the old-town front, the students will find a festival for everyone."

The meeting plans to inform student of the who, what, when and why of Frontier Fiesta.

The festival is for everyone: alumni, current and future students, and the entire Houston community. It is a celebration of UH and a way for the students to promote UH spirit and the campus as a whole, Fouché said.

"Our common goal as students should be to promote our campus as a whole," she added.

FFA chairwoman Julie Baumgarten said the name is still the same, but the new organizational structure of Frontier Fiesta promises to bring a more diversified festival this spring.

The official name of the festival did not change because of the tradition and alumni support associated with that name, Baumgarten said. Another change in the organization of the Frontier Fiesta Association comes with the Board of Directors. In previous years, the chairperson appointed the board members. This year, the board was selected by a committee.

"I put the group together to help broaden what Frontier Fiesta is all about from start to finish," said Baumgarten, adding, "I tried to pick people representative of UH, students, faculty and previous Fiesta directors."

Baumgarten said that with a selected board of directors, the event should be broader, encompassing the whole UH campus.

"The board is diverse and has not been involved in the Frontier Fiesta celebration before," Baumgarten added. "Therefore, they will bring new direction, ideas and energy to the event."

The voting-committee members are: Jay Dorsey, FFA director of operations; Carlos Buchanan, president of the Entrepreneur Group; Seneca Brashear, FFA vice chairwoman, 1994; Kamran Riaz, assistant dean of students; Henry Bell, Students' Association vice president and president of PAPPA; Rusty Hruska, FFA events coordinator, 1992-'94; and Julianne Robbins, director of the Council of Ethnic Organizations.

The FFA board of directors includes: Julie Baumgarten, chairwoman; Maryann Gregory, director of productions; Chad Gogan, director of finance; Shannon Frank, comptroller; John Moore, director of operations; Amy Turner, director of public relations; Sharon Bennett, campus recruitment; Thasunda Brown, director of special events; Jeff Fuller, director of marketing; Julie Long, internal marketing; Valérie Fouché, external marketing; and Lisa Hull, director of community relations.

ENGINEERING PROFESSOR MUSES ON MECHANISMS

by Frank McGowan

Campus Celebs

If you frequently listen to radio station KUHF, FM 88.7, you have probably heard one gentleman's thought-provoking segments. He is a UH professor of engineering whose series examines "the machines that make our civilization run and the people whose ingenuity created them."

John H. Lienhard, an M.D. Anderson professor of mechanical engineering and history, has recorded 968 episodes of "The Engines of Our Ingenuity" up to September 1994. (The series began on Jan. 4, 1988.)

I arrive at his darkened office, and he is illuminated by the unnatural blue glow of the computer monitor. He is punching away at the keyboard in his lap. The engine of his mind is running.

<I>How do you go about choosing a subject to talk about?<P>

I follow my nose. I look for something I can tie into subjectively. It's a matter of poking around and turning over rocks and finding something that I can write about. And it's important because the success of the program stems from the fact that I don't operate on a production-line basis. These are real studies, and I think that's what makes it fun for me and the listeners.

<I>What is it about the inventive process that interests you?<P>

It is pleasure. The creative process is pleasure. There is nothing more fun. I did a program once in which I talked about "Who is the mother of invention?" I said the mother of invention is freedom, but the seminal father of invention is pleasure. (He laughs.) So it's something that is going to flower in an environment of freedom and because people seek pleasure.

<I>So is pleasure the impetus for all invention?<P>

I think it is. An inventor would use necessity or profit as an excuse. But I think when an inventor goes after profit, he ceases being an inventor. A good example is McCormick, inventor of the McCormick reaper. He came up with this one wonderful invention, but became so obsessed with making money off of it that he never invented anything again.

Edison, on the other hand, certainly went after money and went after gain, but he did wild things, he took wild risks and when you look at it, you realize that the profit wasn't the motive.

<I>What about the inventions that come out of war?<P>

No. False. War does not produce invention. (He pulls out a handful of graphs to illustrate that wars have no discernable effect on technological improvements, that it is simply an exponential increase over time.) All that war affects is production. Production goes way up during war. We built Liberty ships in four days during World War II. But what was a Liberty ship? It was an antediluvian clunker. It was a World War I ship being made in World War II because it was cheap and simple. War doesn't affect invention. It's a big misconception.

<I>What do you consider the greatest technological advancement of our time?<P>

I don't know. But it's a very funny thing, invention. The greatest invention of our time will manifest itself 100 years, or 50 to 80 years, down the road. For example, the telephone and the mechanical calculating machine both went on the market at about the same time, around 1880. But when these two wed, it created a new electronic medium that absolutely shifted what we are as a species.

So if anyone had asked any prognosticator in 1880 what is the greatest invention of their time, who could have said it is the mating that will occur between the telephone and the calculating machine?

I think the most important technological revolution going on right now is electronic communication because it is changing us as a species.

<I>Do you think all of this technology dehumanizes us?<P>

(As an object lesson, Dr. Lienhard turns to his computer and tries to dial up some friends on his e-mail service. Unfortunately, no one is on-line to chat.) The fact is, that if this had worked, it (would have been) a very personal and immediate thing.

<I>But not everyone has this type of access, at least not right now.<P>

Not right now, and one of the questions my friends raise with me is, "Are the information-rich going to get richer and the poor get poorer?" I hope they're not. But (Vice President) Gore in the Gore bill has set up the machinery for an improved electronic highway in 1996. If that comes to pass, I think we'll find that everyone in America has access. It is extremely important that we don't create a two-tier civilization.

<I>How do we overcome the phobia some people have of technology?<P>

The same way people got over the phobia of using the telephone or the automobile. My mother never learned to drive. My father tried to teach her, but she had a small fender-bender and never drove again. My father, meanwhile, was a pilot in World War I and saw his first automobile when he was 10 years old. He ran across a field to see what this huffing, chuffing thing was doing in the Illinois corn fields.

My mother never owned a dishwasher because she said the warmth helped her arthritis. I don't know the psychology of my parents, but I think we all get to a point where we say, "I'm not going to change anymore." I feel that way about some things. The idea of a cellular phone is something I have not found attractive.

<I>Are there times when you need to separate yourself from technology?<P>

I think there are times when change becomes oppressive. Technology is waiting for us to adapt to it.

<I>How does one prevent technological side effects like technological unemployment or unsatisfying jobs?<P>

Those are negative side effects. Let me tell you about a side effect.

I've discovered the CD-ROM catalog at the library. It links the eight universities with a wonderful search engine. I started using it. No more card catalog. Soon I discovered that it was altering my working methods totally.

I discovered that it was a serendipity machine. I would play on it. I would punch in random words to see what would come out and it started leading me around.

Now, its inventor meant to give people a finding engine, but he wound up giving me a serendipity machine, changing me in ways that I had not meant to be changed, nor did the inventor mean to change me.

I bought a computer because I wanted to get my manuscripts typed. I had no concept of the way it would change my working methods, eventually linking me to other people all over the world.

Technologies affect us in ways that we don't anticipate. For example, I'm a <I>TETRIS<P> junkie. I can start playing, and I can't quit. That's a bad side effect.

Many of the side effects are ones that we should ride. Because it is in the interaction between us and the machine that we shape the appropriate use of the machine.

<I>Do you think there is a point where invention and technology will stagnate?<P>

I think that it is built into our genes. Anthropologists want to call us not homo sapiens, but homo technologicos. That's what defines us – that we deal in the knowledge of making. That knowledge builds on itself. We will always be hungry for change.

Technology is a process wherein we create a reality in our mind, then cast its shadow on the earth.

<B>McGowan is a senior journalism major.<P>

FACING A CAREER CRISIS? RUB AN APPLE

by Sara Dean Cromwell

For most college students, the future lies ahead like an open abyss. College studies and work occupy our thoughts now, but what happens after that?

Every so often, a stray thought reaches for the future, and we wonder what kind of job or salary we can get with our degrees in English or political science or whatever degree we are earning. The answer lies in one simple, familiar word: teaching.

Many students and even more professionals are looking to teaching as a first, second or fifth career. Professor L.Y. Hollis, director of UH's Alternative Teach Certification, says the reasons people change careers are "somewhat person-specific," but can generally fit into three different groups.

The first group consists of people who are dissatisfied with their careers or are just ready for a change and decide to go into teaching. The second and third groups fall into more of a "lifestyle change" profile, with the second group changing for family reasons and the third for reasons like early retirement from a long-held position.

Susan Sheridan, a professor in the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, began teaching after many years of working in the hotel/restaurant industry. She has found in teaching that not only does she have more control over her working hours, but also that teaching is "self-satisfying."

"I enjoy working with people who really want to be in school (and learning)," she said.

While Sheridan misses the "action and guest interaction in operations," teaching gives her the time for consulting, research and staying more current with industry news and events. In addition, teaching offers a stable, better-for-family lifestyle, which is often unavailable when working on the operational side of the industry.

Robert Houston, professor and executive director of the Texas Center for University School Partnerships, said second-career teachers tend to be more mature. "There are a number of people who like to interact with other people and want to make a difference. They often choose engineering, law or science (as a career), only later to discover that what they really would like to do is teach."

He estimates that nearly half of the teacher-education students are pursuing teaching as a second career. Houston emphasizes the importance of personal interaction between teachers and students as a cornerstone of education.

While rewarding, the interaction leads to a major complaint among teachers: emotional stress that stems from "giving of yourself as well as conveying subject matter." Another constraint Houston mentioned is the lack of time to plan lessons, spend time with students and also interact with a family.

Hollis said another sacrifice made for teaching is the considerable long-term salary "discrepancies." He has found that the starting salary for teachers is comparable to that of the business and nursing professions, but over a 10- to 15-year period, the salary increases do not compare.

Theresa Monaco, professor of curriculum and instruction in the Gifted and Talented Department, had plenty of time to experience other careers between 1954 and 1967 while working as a secretary, then as a plant supervisor while earning her degrees to begin teaching. Her experience teaching the first, third and eighth grades to special-needs children and now for the gifted and talented have taught her many lessons.

"This exciting time in teaching forces educators to use (some) basic teaching theories, (like) catching students doing good, not just bad, work." She also believes it is important to focus on strength, your own or a student's, then "run with it." She adds, "The basics are important, but if we don't do anything else but teach children to change... ."

One UH student is not afraid to change. Although she prefers to remain anonymous, she did say she comes from a long line of teachers, but until recently was actively pursuing a major in a business-related field. After extensive research and weighing the pros and cons, she has decided to change her major to teaching.

Her reason for this change is simple. "I am transferring because I wasn't getting the same gratification from my major as I was in the beginning," she said. Although her credit hours will not transfer smoothly, her happiness far outweighs the lost credit hours.

Hollis advocates UH's teaching programs. UH has "programs of the type that make it both comfortable and challenging to get into teaching."

Evening programs allow students to continue working in their field until they can begin teaching, and UH offers internship programs as an alternative to student teaching. The internship is a paid position, salaried as a first-year teacher minus the program expense.

Benefits are also included, so students need not do without health coverage. This internship makes it possible for students to become teachers even if they cannot afford to take a semester off from working to teach.

Houston quotes an age-old phrase that essentially grasps the essence and idealism of the teaching profession: "Touch the future. Teach."

So when that abyss stares back at you blankly as you wonder about the future, consider teaching as a way to find for yourself an interesting, exciting and challenging tomorrow.

ACHES, PAINS TAKING TOLL

Football team celebrates win in the training room

The Cougar football team may have gotten its first win of the season Saturday, but Sunday's injury report made the triumph look a little Pyrrhic in nature.

On the list of Houston's wounded after the game against Southern Methodist were quarterback Chad O'Shea, running back Jermaine Williams, defensive back Delmonico Montgomery and wideouts Ron Peters and Julian Pitre – quite a chunk of UH's weaponry.

O'Shea had his left (nonthrowing) hand X-rayed Monday. Reports said he suffered an injury to it during his two-point plunge with 5:50 left in Saturday's game at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

His father, trainer Mike O’Shea, said Monday the younger O’Shea's hand was indeed fractured, but that the injury bore no similarity to that of former starting quarterback Chuck Clements, who is out for the year.

"(The fracture) was way back, and it wasn't displaced," the elder O’Shea said. "We'll put a little splint on it, and he should be able to take snaps."

The quarterback O'Shea's hand will be further evaluated during practice today before any decision is made about his status for the upcoming Texas Christian game.

Clements broke his throwing hand against Ohio State Sept. 24 when he inadvertently hit a helmet following through on a pass. He has since had surgery on the hand.

The trainer O'Shea said today's practice would also reveal more concerning the status of Williams, who came down with bruised ribs after Saturday's game. X-rays of the ribs Monday proved negative.

The junior transfer from Butler Community College in Greenville, N.C., enjoyed a career day against the Mustangs with 215 yards rushing on 25 carries.

Peters' ankle, listed as sprained, also turned up negative on X-rays. Peters is listed as day-to-day.

Montgomery, who fell victim to a pulled groin, is improving the most among the Cougar injured, while a hip contusion is still plaguing Pitre.

Meanwhile, freshman defensive lineman Louis Hampton and sophomore defensive end Jason Brown were both declared out for the season prior to Saturday, along with freshman wideout Jason deGroot, who suffered a broken jaw in practice that week.

SETTING FOR SUCCESS

Sawyer satisfied with 'quarterback' role, gives teammates chance to shine

by Hiren Patel

Behind every successful player who steals the show with his or her own abilities, there is usually someone behind the curtains to help put forth the effort.

The Dallas Cowboys' Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, both of whom have won the National Football League's Most Valuable Player award, have shown their phenomenal skills on the field. However, both maintain that their success begins and ends with the Cowboys' offensive line.

The much-to-do success of Southwest Conference Player of the Year candidate Lilly Denoon-Chester stems not only from her own athleticism, but also from the hands of teammate Sami Sawyer.

"I'm out there to do what is best for my teammates," the sophomore setter said, "to raise the percentage or chances of the hitters getting a kill."

After 12 matches in the 1994 volleyball campaign, Sawyer's assists have earned the team an SWC-best .252 hitting percentage.

But how does that relate to her goals as a setter?

"The setter is like a quarterback," Sawyer added. "She has to run the offense and do what she can to get her hitters open.

"My job is to simply get the hitters to put the ball down to score points."

Therefore, the team's hitting percentage translates into Sawyer being the best setter in the conference.

The description Sawyer provides of her position's goals is rather simple. Being able to place herself and her teammates for kills is actually much more difficult than tossing the ball in the air.

"I have to get the hitter open by putting only one or no blockers on my players," Sawyer said. "To do so, I need to be deceptive to get the blockers to follow one teammate, while leaving the other open."

Sawyer said she starts a match by usually letting the other team know who her strong hitters, Emily Leffers and Marie-Claude Tourillon, are by getting them the ball. Once the Ojai, Calif., native accomplishes that feat, it becomes easier to set up Denoon-Chester.

Every once in awhile, Sawyer surprises the opposing team, sometimes even her own teammates, by "tipping," or faking to set up for an assist, but instead dumping the ball over the outstretched hands of the blockers for a kill.

"I can't tip the ball as much as I would like to," Sawyer added. "But when I do have the opportunity, I'll take that kill."

So far this year, Sawyer has averaged 12.35 assists per game, including the 61 she racked up against Oklahoma Friday in four games.

As a freshman last season, Sawyer averaged 11.0 assists per SWC game, second best in the league, as she played in 128 of the team's 133 games.

"(Head coach Bill Walton) had a lot of patience with me in learning the offense and becoming a leader," Sawyer said.

The patience paid big dividends for Houston, as the team earned its first-ever NCAA Tournament victory with Sawyer as the setter. At the end of the season, Sawyer was named SWC Newcomer of the Year for her 11.2 assists per game for the full season.

"I was shocked," Sawyer said of earning the honor. "When I came in at the beginning of the year, I was just determined to get the starting position.

"I don't really care how I finish (in terms of awards), as long as the team finishes well."

Sawyer said the attitude the team plays with, having fun and joking around while at the same time being serious, helps it overcome problems that might arise during a match.

"As a team goal, I know we need to become more of a unit," Sawyer continued. "If one person makes a spectacular play, we're starting to celebrate as a team."

MEN'S BASKETBALL STARTS NEW SEASON

Opening practices excite coach

Last season, the men's basketball team had a new style, a new coach and new personnel. This year, it has a new chance.

"The (players') attitude and concentration are much better because they know what to expect," head coach Alvin Brooks said. "We're obviously going to be better."

After an 8-19 record and the worst season in Houston history, the 1994-’95 team is looking to add one of the nation's top recruiting classes to a solid group of returnees that includes Tim Moore, Jessie Drain, Tyrone Evans, Willie Byrd and Jermaine Johnson, among others. In fact, the Cougars lost only two players to graduation.

Of the top returning players, Moore is the focal point. Last season, he averaged 17.7 points per game and 8.5 rebounds.

Freshman Galen Robinson, a 6-9 forward from MacArthur High School, is the newcomer with the biggest spotlight.

This weekend opened up the 1994 practices, and Brooks said he is pleased with the way things have started; the biggest difference being that this year, only the new additions are learning the system.

During Monday's practice, Robinson seemed to have the problems the rest of the team experienced last season.

"He's a freshman," Brooks said, citing the adjustments Robinson has to make. "He's a talent, but still very young. We play on a much faster pace at this level."

With the Cougars' first exhibition game against the Houston Flights Nov. 9, Brooks said he is very excited to start the season. His only major concern is what injuries could do to the team.

Monday, Byrd was hindered with a hamstring problem, but was able to practice; junior transfer Kirk Ford had arthroscopic surgery on his knee; and Angel Sanz had a sprain in his neck and did not participate in drills. Brooks said all should return without problems.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

<I>NIGHTMARE<P> A LAME REBIRTH

Heather Langenkamp has yet to learn how to play a convincing role in Wes Craven's <I>New Nightmare<P>.

Photo by Joseph Viles/New Line Cinema

During the month when ghosts and goblins are frolicking through the minds of Halloween buffs, Wes Craven has spun yet another campfire yarn about nightmares.

<I>New Nightmare<P> brings back to life the face America has come to recognize as the king of the bogeymen, Freddy Krueger. The original <I>Nightmare<P>s began 10 years ago when Craven first brought his horrifying tale, <I>A Nightmare on Elm Street<P>, to the eyes of movie-goers.

Since that first spine-tingling event a decade ago, the <I>Nightmare<P> series has steadily declined in both story and shock value. The final nail in the coffin of the Krueger saga now comes to theaters with a new twist. Unfortunately, it does not come with a good script.

In this latest gore-a-thon, Freddy Krueger, played by Robert Englund, is once again wreaking chaos on the world, but this time, he is doing it in the "really-real world."

Craven, playing himself, discovers that an ancient entity has somehow been trapped in the essence of the Freddy films. (Too bad he could not have trapped a good movie in with it). Since Freddy hung up his Veg-O-Matic hand of death in the last movie, the entity was set free into our dimension.

The movie does bring back the original Freddy-slayer, Heather Langenkamp, who plays herself in this little slice of movie hell.

This was a unique idea based on an old story, but the movie takes too long to set it up, and the "is it a dream or is it really happening" sequences serve to confuse the viewer more than they facilitate the "Boo!" effect.

The movie does provide the expected level of fantastic camera shots, and the special effects are excellent. Check out Freddy's new hand!

Langenkamp, whose true acting forte is screaming, gives a mediocre performance throughout the film. One would think that after 10 years with the same role, she would learn how to play it well.

This attempt to revive Freddy only works in the movie storyline, but not in the theaters. The ad states, "This time, terror doesn't stop at the screen."

It continues when you leave the theater and realize how much you paid for the ticket.

One Star

Director: Wes Craven

Starring: Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp

************************************************************************************************************************************************

CHRISTIAN PERFORMER SPREADS HIS BELIEFS VIA CONCERTS

by Celeste Martin

Carman is raising standards with his third album, <I>The Standard<P>, off the Sparrow label.

The album supports the growth of Christianity by using it as the vehicle for which Carman Ministries spreads the joy of knowing Christ all over the world. By the end of this tour, it will have ministered to more than 100 cities free of charge. (The Oct. 8 Houston gig was $4 per ticket.) The ministry survives through donations.

Carman's vision is to fill stadiums all over the world with people praising God in order to save souls. In South Africa, he gave a concert with more than 50,000 in attendance. In Barbados, where people are superstitious about rain, the fans set aside their fears and came to his outdoor concert with umbrellas while it poured.

He gave a concert during Spring Break in Daytona Beach, Fla., literally on the beach next door to Playboy. Thousands of college students came forward to proclaim that Jesus is the best thing that could ever happen to them. The concert in Houston at The Summit was sold out more than a week before the show.

The Summit performance was all high-tech and high-energy with four video screens; a colorful, creative light display; and four S.O.T.C. (Soldiers Of The Cross) dancers, three of which had dreadlocks. They added a lot of hip-hop excitement to the program.

After the smoke had cleared, Carman dramatically appeared, looking like a model for Oak Tree’s dress wear, starting with his hit song, "Great God." It has a strong electric guitar, a powerful beat, synthesizers for sound effects, keyboards and his deep, dark, rich voice to top it off.

Carman writes most of his music and lyrics. For his country song, "Holdin’ On," he sported a cowboy hat and did some two-steppin’ with the S.O.T.C. "Marchin’ and Movin’ " has a funky militant theme with a mean bass guitar.

His rap/hip-hop song is "Who's In The House? J.C.!"; "Lord, I Love You" has a Hawaiian sound; "Sunday School Rock" is a Memphis funk tune with a ’50s flair; and "Now's the Time" has a Caribbean island conga dance. The jungle-beatin’ ballad called "Everybody Praise the Lord" stylistically has Carman written all over it. But the sweet ballad, "The River," steals every heart.

Perhaps Carman's most creative trademarks are his miniature musical dramas depicting battles with Satan. At The Summit, his dancers opposed him in demon costumes with one dressed as the devil. Carman opposed him wearing a gun in a hip holster and a cowboy hat, singing:

"I got a weapon with two bullets that overcome all sin and crud/One bullet is called the word of my testimony and the other one's called the blood/Satan, bite the dust!"

And with that, he shot the devil and kicked him off stage. While the bad guy's own spurs interfered with a quick getaway.

His newest drama has a patriotic theme called, "America Again." It's based on the scripture, "Blessed is the nation whose god is the Lord" (Psalms 33:12). Carman says, "You have to remember what makes America great in the first place ... we based our laws and our governing bodies on the word of God. Whenever we deviate from that, we lose the blessing that is associated with following God's word."