LEE TO OVERSEE BUDGET FIGHT

Amid an impending bloody legislative battle in Austin over state funds, UH President James H. Pickering recently appointed Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs, to troubleshoot on UH's behalf.

Lee took on an additional role as special assistant to the president for Public Affairs. His appointment forms another plank in the administration's legislative strategies to bring campus and community leaders into the legislative process, Lee said.

Through his membership on the System Governmental Relations Council and the university's legislative group, Lee has been closely involved in formulating legislative plans.

In an Oct. 3 memo to senior administrators announcing Lee's appointment, Pickering wrote that the action was taken to "help better position the agenda of the campus with respect to the UH System Office of Governmental Relations and to civic and governmental leaders in Houston, Austin and in Washington."

UH leaders have admitted that the university is in for a rigorous struggle to maintain its level of state funding, especially with declining enrollments. In the last couple of legislative sessions, Lee said he worked informally as a go-between for UH with state legislators.

"This more or less formalizes a role that I have played," he said. "Millions of dollars and the entire future of the whole institution are at stake." Lee primarily will act as a conduit for getting the university's message across to legislators.

In recent months, faculty members have been in an uproar over the mere mention that UH would lose additional state funds next session and over the perceived incompetence of UH's efforts in Austin. Lee said his appointment does not come in reaction to the criticisms of the Coalition for Excellence, whose membership includes some of the most distinguished researchers and scholars on campus.

"I don't think the coalition will look up and say, 'Oh, my God, our problems are solved. There's Elwyn Lee.' Maybe if Dick Murray had been appointed, that would have been something," Lee said. "I do think if we are successful, that will help mitigate concerns and criticisms."

Murray, a well-known political science professor and coalition member, wrote a report attacking UH's efforts in Austin.

Lee added that he believed the coalitions concerns stemmed from the perception that the university has moved away from its research agenda in favor of an urban agenda, but he said the facts do not support that contention. He pointed to the research endowment's growth to about $55 million.

Although it may be difficult to wear more than one hat on campus, Lee said he did not foresee any conflicts. He explained the new job like this – "Your job may be shovelling snow, but if the house is on fire, you get a bucket (and put out the fire)."

The Board of Regents Thursday approved a raise in Lee's salary to $105,000 from $93,000.

*******************************************************

MOORES LEAVES BOARD OF REGENTS

and Robert L. Arnold

In a shocking move, John Moores, an alumnus who has donated in excess of $50 million, resigned from the Board of Regents Thursday.

Moores said he decided that establishing residency in California is in his best business interests, but because Texas law dictates that only Texas residents can serve as regents, he must resign. Moores, who was appointed by Gov. Ann Richards, was three-and-a-half years into a six-year term.

In 1992, Moores donated a record $54 million to UH to build an athletic/alumni facility and a new School of Music building. Part of the money was also earmarked as contributions to the library endowment and to the UH River Blindness Foundation.

"Serving my alma mater as a member of the University of Houston System Board of Regents has been one of the greatest honors and privileges of my life," Moores said. "I will continue to be interested in and involved in what happens at the University of Houston and the UH System."

President James H. Pickering, who was quite shocked by the loss of Moores, said, "He was clearly committed (to UH)." Chancellor Alexander Schilt added that Moores has been instrumental in providing insight and advice to the regents.

"I have often said that I owe much of what I have been able to achieve to the education and encouragement I received as a student of the University of Houston," Moores said. "I hope that I have been able to pay off some of that debt."

In other business, the regents also approved a year's leave of absence with pay for Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the College of Social Sciences, whose demotion caused an uproar among faculty. He will continue to receive the same rate of pay at $119,638. Next year, he will return to teach in the Political Science Department.

The board also approved a $12,000 raise for Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs, who took on the second role of special assistant to the president for Public Affairs. Lee said he will be spending time educating students about their role in the state funding process, acting as a liaison for UH in Austin.

The UH System also released statistics showing that the fall 1994 systemwide enrollments are 0.2 percent lower than those of fall 1993, but systemwide semester credit hours are up by 0.04 percent.

UH enrollments are down by 2.6 percent, and semester credit hours are down by 1.6 percent.

UH Provost Henry Trueba blamed UH's enrollment losses on several factors. "We are losing students to community colleges, which are cheaper and closer," he explained. UH also lost students in doctoral and master's programs because our competitors are offering better packages, Trueba added.

TECHIES READY TO BUILD DREAM PLAYHOUSE

Cougar Staff Reports

This weekend will mark the fourth year the College of Technology will participate in the Greater Houston Builders Association's annual New Home Builders Show in the Astrohall, an annual event in which competitors from different schools build a dream playhouse "designed" by local children.

From 8 a.m. today to noon Sunday, members of UH's Students in Construction related Industries will compete with teams from Texas A&M and Northeast Louisiana State during the event.

The UH team has approximately 30 to 40 students from the College of Technology competing in this year's event. They will be lead this year by event coordinator Chuck Hunter,who has done much of the planning and design for the UH team.

"The competition is challenging," said John Moore, SCRI president. "The houses must be 7 feet tall and 9 feet wide, but we cannot exceed $1250 in materials – wood, sidings, paint – everything. We must remain within all set parameters, or we can be disqualified," he said.

The team must be accurate in its measurements and cuts as supplies are very limited. If a mistake is made, it can be fatal to the design's outcome. "It's a real challenge to come up with a unique design that no one else is using. The toughest part is building a design based on what little (supplies) is provided," Moore said.

For the first time, preschool children at the college's Human Development Laboratory School will draw pictures of what they would consider their dream playhouse. SCRI will then take ideas from each drawing, convert them to an autocard program for accuracy, then use these to build its own house for the competition. The children's pictures will be displayed at the show.

Following the contest judging at noon Sunday, the first- and second-place houses will be auctioned, and the third-place house will be raffled.

"The money that is raised through the auction and raffle will be divided among the three universities and goes directly toward student scholarships," Moore said, "so it is important that everyone come out and place a bid on a house."

Last year, the team came in second overall and first in the "Kids' Choice" category. In the 1992 competition, the team placed first overall.

The team is excited about the competition, and its expectations are high. "We're going for broke this year. First all the way," Moore said.

The raffle tickets, which are $2 each or three for $5, can be purchased at the show. Raffle tickets can be purchased in advance at the SCRI office in the Technology I building or by calling John Moore at 743-4048.

The most exciting portion of the event will be Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., when the judging and auction will take place. Tickets can be purchased for $7 at the door or $5 with a discount coupon from Randall's.

TCU NEXT ON COUGAR MENU

Now that the monkey is off their backs, it might be wise for the Houston Cougars to keep the "L's" off them as well.

A date with the Texas Christian Horned Frogs Saturday night allows Houston to put itself back in the Southwest Conference race after its first victory of the season last weekend, a 39-33 win over Southern Methodist in Dallas.

"(The SMU win) was not the Super Bowl, but it sure felt like it," Houston head coach Kim Helton said. "Everyone was tired of hearing all the bad things they had done and all the (negative) records they were setting."

With another victory, the Cougars (1-5 overall, 1-1 SWC) could possibly find themselves in a four-way, first-place tie with Rice (2-0 SWC), Baylor (1-1) and Texas (1-1) come Sunday morning.

Kickoff in the Astrodome is set for 7:30 p.m.

What has historically been an offensive series in recent years between Houston and TCU could once again be another slugfest.

The last four times these teams have met, the two have combined for an average score of 40-39, splitting the four meetings.

However, over the last two meetings in the Dome, the teams have combined for a score of 53-41, with the Cougars having won both contests.

As the two prepare to tangle under the big top again, it should be noted that the Frogs lead the conference in total offense with 408.8 yards a game while Houston is coming off an offensive high last week, a 498-yard outburst.

Conversely, both clubs are two of the three worst defensive clubs in the league, as TCU yields 406.8 yards per contest, while the Cougars surrender 457.3 yards a game on their own.

TCU's offensive successes have not survived the poor performance of its defense; thus, the Frogs (3-3, 0-2) find themselves winless through their first two conference games.

"I know TCU's defense is a little tougher than SMU's," said Cougar tight end Chris Herold, who caught a 21-yard touchdown last week. "It's going to be a challenge for us, but I know we can beat them."

Horned Frog quarterback and SWC total offense leader Max Knake leads the TCU charge, as the sophomore has accounted for 1,491 passing yards and 12 touchdowns.

League-leading rusher Andre Davis anchors the Frog backfield when Knake isn't putting it in the air, running for 774 yards on 124 carries.

Davis also leads the team in receiving with 27 catches for 314 yards and three touchdowns, thus becoming double trouble for any defense.

LIVE BREATHES LIFE INTO ALTERNATIVE

by Chuck Deaton

<I>Throwing Copper<P>, the follow-up CD of the enormously successful <I>Mental Jewelry<P> by Live, is turning heads in the music industry and sending positive waves as far away as England.

Just returning from a successful tour of Europe, these Pennsylvania boys will be rolling into Houston Saturday at Numbers.

Live recently made its network television debut on David Letterman. The group has already had extensive air time on MTV in the last two years with MTV executives selecting all of its four singles as Buzz Clips.

The first song released from the new album, "Selling The Drama," dominated the No. 1 position on the alternative charts for six consecutive weeks. "I Alone," the second single from <I>Throwing Copper<P>, is currently entrenched in MTV's "Buzz Bin" rotation.

The music of Live is much more fulfilling than many other alternative groups, which only know a few chords. Live is Edward Kowalczyk, lead vocals and guitar; Chad Taylor, lead guitar and background vocals; Patrick Dalheimer, bass guitar; and Chad Gracey, percussion and background vocals.

Live delivers precise, musically cerebral rock, and the band clearly understands the elements of good music by making use of dynamics, grand pauses, vocal phrasing, crescendos, decrescendos and intonation.

The group's name is appropriate for its reputation on stage. The intense, vivacious performances leave concert-goers with the stinging feeling of just having witnessed rock 'n' roll at its finest. The group highlighted a Friday-night bill of mostly alternative acts at Woodstock '94 and captivated 80,000 people at this year's Hollywood Rock Festival in Brazil.