EXIT MOORES, ENTER ELYSE LANIER?

Gov. Ann Richards is running against a time limit to fill John Moores' vacancy on the UH Board of Regents, but an unofficial appointment may have already been made.

With a deadline approaching, an appointment to the board is expected this week, and it may well be Elyse Lanier, wife of Houston Mayor Bob Lanier.

A position on the board is obtained through an official appointment by the governor. Moores' resignation has put Richards in a time crimp because Texas statutes dictate that a sitting governor may not make any appointments during an election month.

"Nothing official has been decided yet, but an official appointment is expected this week," said Julian Vera, appointment coordinator to the board for the governor's office.

Mrs. Lanier is no stranger to city politics, having served on the Houston Parks and Recreation Board in the 1980s, and she is currently serving on the Texas Medical Center board. Her daughter is currently attending classes at the UH Law Center, and Mrs. Lanier, herself, attended UH, but never graduated.

"There are a lot of people who have college degrees who won't be in this position to do good," said Mrs. Lanier, de-emphasizing her lack of education in an article published by the Houston Chronicle.

"I think she will be a wonderful board member," said UH Board of Regents Chairwoman Beth Morian.

"She is very concerned with and interested in UH and how it interacts with the city," Morian added.

Mrs. Lanier was contacted by the governor's office last week and expressed an extreme interest in finishing the two-and-a-half years left on Moores' term.

Moores was forced to resign because Texas law states that a person who is not a Texas resident may not serve on a Texas board of regents. Moores, who will be moving to California, is involved with California software companies and is reportedly seeking the acquisition of the San Diego Padres baseball team.

Moores is a UH alumnus whose philanthropic generosity has benefited UH since 1986. Moores and his wife, Rebecca, have donated $70.2 million to UH, including an astounding donation of $51 million in 1991.

With comments from board members and recent articles running in both the Houston Post and Chronicle, Elyse Lanier looks to be the next board member, but no official appointment has been released by Richards' office.

*******************************************************

TRUEBA DRAWS SMALL TURNOUT FOR DISCUSSION

by Marlene Yarborough

Only four students turned out for a brown-bag lunch and discussion Monday, hosted by Henry Trueba, UH provost and senior vice president for academic affairs.

The luncheon was designed to address student concerns and provide information on activities at UH.

Trueba began the informal event by asking the four students a question about improving student-administration relations.

"From time to time, students communicate frustrations. What is a good way to register those complaints?" Trueba asked. "If you were in my shoes, how would you establish some kind of contact with the students?"

He asked if it would be better if students wanting to provide advice and retrieve information were to set the time and place.

Meredith L. Patterson, a freshman RTV major, said a lack of knowledge about the event contributed to low attendance.

Trueba said he wondered if potential attendees' questions of why have the meeting and what such a gathering could accomplish may have contributed to the lack of students in attendance.

"Students want to know how will attending these meetings help us," he said, adding that the meetings are held to find out what the provost can do to make the campus more responsive to students.

"Students stand in long lines and don't always receive the answers they need. Sometimes it's inhuman, and the students are not treated fairly," Trueba said.

Concerns brought up Monday included: the taxability of scholarships and fee bills; the reasons for the delay in building the new School of Music building; the status of library improvements; the difficulties that arose with absentee Physical Plant employees during the recent flooding; and falling enrollment's effect on the UH budget.

"We must do better for our freshmen and sophomores. Sometimes community colleges offer the same service with the same faculty for half the price," Trueba said, adding that UH needs to service students so they will want to become alumni who will fight for UH.

Trueba asked for students' names and phone numbers. He provided answers to questions and took notes on questions he said he needed to investigate further, writing the student's name beside them. He promised the attendees that he would get back to them with the answers quickly.

The next two brown-bag lunches are scheduled for Monday, Nov. 21, and Monday, Dec. 12, from noon to 1 p.m. in the UC Underground's Lafitte Room.

UH ATHLETICS, ASTRODOME UNITE

Joint effort nets money for victims of deadly floods

The nation watched with concerned eyes last week as flood waters destroyed homes and took the lives of several Texans, but the UH athletic department and Astrodome USA tried to make the suffering a little easier over the past weekend.

A spur-of-the-moment idea from the office of Ken Winstead, UH associate athletic director, came last week when he and his staff decided to coordinate fund-raising activities with Astrodome workers during UH's game against Texas Christian University.

"We know the flood hit most people hard, and my staff and I talked about raising money in a way that would make it easier for our fans," Winstead said.

UH and Astrodome USA, which is the company responsible for managing the Dome, set up tables in front of the dome and placed workers to collect donations for the Spirit of Texas Flood Relief, The American Red Cross and The Salvation Army.

"UH is not only about our people, but Houston as a whole. We are UH, and we are here to serve Houston. We wanted to help out," Winstead said.

The athletic department was solely responsible for promoting the fund-raiser. Winstead led the promotions with a 30-second public service announcement last Friday and a live interview before Saturday's game. Both spots appeared on Channel 11.

Donna Turner, UH sports information director, said phone solicitation and newspaper ads were also used to promote the event.

"It was our idea, our game and we wanted to handle all the publicity. We got the word out," Turner said.

According to Astrodome USA representative Diane Turpin, Saturday's game attendance of 14,933 brought in $699.75 for the various charities. In addition to the money, fans also donated clothes and canned foods to The American Red Cross Relief Center, located in the Astrohall.

"We felt people affiliated with UH would be generous, and if we appealed to that kindred spirit, we could make a difference," Turner said.

Winstead said the fund-raising will not stop with Saturday's game, adding that plans are being made for future campaigns.

"My only regret is that we weren't playing Texas A&M or Texas. We could have made more money," he said.

IT'S A SHAM WHEN CONSUMERS GET TAKEN

When someone buys that $500 car and finds out it wasn't worth $5, he or she is called naive and gullible. Most people have come in contact with fraud, and whether they will admit it or not, have fallen into the trap of buying something too good to be true.

This week is National Consumer Week, in which consumers are taught to be informed and not to fall into the scam trap. Topping the list of scams are telemarketing fraud, used-car purchases and junk-mail scams.

Telemarketing is a $200 billion-per-year business, and most companies are reputable; however, some use phony prizes, cheap products and high-pressure sales tactics to sell lemons to the public.

Helpful hints in avoiding telemarketing fraud include watching out for very low-priced offers and high-profit/low-risk deals and investments, asking for exact prices, getting complete information in writing, not giving out credit card numbers over the phone unless the company is known to be reputable, and even going as far as checking with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints that have been filed against the company.

Most people have bought used cars, and while some may have been classified in the "What a deal!" category, others may be the scam of the year.

Buying a used car from a dealer, friend or ad entails doing research on the model, options, reliability statistics, safety tests and, of course, prices. Shopping around for the best price is only half of the work. Checking maintenance and repair records to see if the car has been properly maintained or if it has had any chronic problems is a smart move.

Junk mail is something that manages to penetrate the lives of all Americans, whether they live in the White House or under a highway overpass. But simple tips on protection from the mail-order monster include being aware of price comparisons based on "suggested retail price." These are often inflated to make the offer look good, and consumers may find a much better deal by simply getting out of the house and shopping around.

If unsolicited sales pitches are made, it is the consumer's right to turn down the offer. The simple hanging up of the phone, shutting of the door and throwing away of the mail will not only eliminate the stress of scams, but also lower blood pressure.

For more information on scams or other consumer issues, contact the Consumer Protection Division at (800) 337-3928.

Denoon-Chester sets new UH mark for career kills

When Houston's Lilly Denoon-Chester left the court Sunday after the volleyball team's 3-1 victory over Arkansas State, she had led the Cougars to their 11th victory in a row, recorded 30 kills and set the new Houston record for career kills.

By the end of the match, she had 1,243 for her tenure with the Cougars. This breaks Julie Gates' record of 1,225. There are still 11 matches, plus the Southwest Conference Tournament, plus post-season, left on the schedule.

"I didn't really know about it (the record) until after the second game (Sunday)," she said.

Other records held by Denoon-Chester include most kills in a match (37), best hitting percentage in a match (tied with two others at .875) and block assists for a SWC season (56).

But the records don't mean as much as how the team fares.

"This has been the best year," she said. "With me as a senior and all (my) accomplishments combined with the success of the team, it makes it a little sweeter."

The team has all but locked up the SWC title and should advance far into the NCAAs. After Saturday's win over Texas, Denoon-Chester said she feels there is no limit to what the team can do.

The 6-foot-tall senior hitter was on the West squad at the 1994 U.S. Olympic Festival and won the silver.

Last season, she led the Cougars to their first-ever NCAA Tournament victory. She was named to the 1993 Olympic Festival team, also, but had to withdraw to rest her shoulder. She was also named first-team All-SWC.

She was crowned SWC Player of the Week for last week's performance, the third time this season and the eighth time in her career. Last week's performance included wins over Baylor and SWC nemesis Texas.

The American Volleyball Coaches Association National Player of the Week will be named today, an honor she was awarded once before in her career (Nov. 15, 1993). She entered the 1994 season as an All-American candidate.

Despite all these accolades, her humbleness precedes her.

"I don't really consider myself a top player," she said. "I played basketball in high school and was supposed to in college. A lot of people told me I was built more for volleyball than basketball. A lot of people were surprised (I chose volleyball).

"So far everything has turned out all right."

To say the least.

LIZ PHAIR'S <I>WHIP-SMART<P> A WISE CHOICE

Liz Phair has hit the mark with her second album, <I>Whip-Smart<P>.

by Jim Presnell

Liz Phair seems to be building a rock 'n' roll dynasty with her comfortable, conversational music. Her decidedly feminine, but uncompromising perspective on life has won her legions of fans, and the fame just keeps on building.

For instance, she recently graced the cover of <I>Rolling Stone<P>, had appearances on the <I>David Letterman Show<P> and <I>MTV's Alternative Nation<P>, and soon will appear on the cover of the music magazine <I>Option<P>, with Lou Barlow of Sebadoh.

In 1993, Phair released <I>Exile in Guyville<P>, a female version of the Stones' <I>Exile on Main Street<P>, which took the charts by storm and made Phair an instant household name. The recording style was deliberately unpolished, aiming for a distinctive feel that would give Phair a trademark sound.

This trend continues on <I>Whip-Smart<P>, an album as comfortable as an old shoe. Using her live band, Phair set out to include lots of atmosphere, sonic fun and crunching guitars. She did it.

There exudes a frankness from Phair's statements about love and lust that astonishes many. The press will no doubt endlessly quote her line, "That way, we can (expletive deleted) and watch TV."

That's OK, but there's a lot more to Liz Phair than X-rated titillation. Songs like "Nashville," "Dogs of L.A.," "Go West" and "Jealousy" are almost painfully personal. In the last song, Phair sings plaintively, "It's all I can do to conceal my fears ... I'm already hooked on jealousy."

The album is a stirring, stripped-down view of the raw emotion and complicated interpersonal relations that no doubt characterize every female in America. No wonder Liz Phair has become a symbol for a new openness for women everywhere. Like Julianna Hatfield, Polly Harvey, Chrissie Hynde and a few others, Phair hits the mark. It may hurt, but it's vital to know why. Here's the straight dope.