STATE SEMINAR INSPIRES UH FACULTY

Profs, staff form group to improve teaching quality

by Catherine Cykowski

Bringing better service to the University of Houston is the goal of a new committee comprised of UH faculty and staff members.

The Committee on Quality Improvement, or CQI, is studying methods of improving the quality of teaching and service at UH.

Professor George Reiter, head of the committee, said the university needs to respond to a changing environment to better serve students.

"This (committee) is a commitment for the future to provide better service," Reiter said.

The committee was formed in 1992 after several UH faculty members who had participated in the Governor's Conference on Total Quality Management in Higher Education expressed an interest in applying these ideas at UH.

The committee is currently seeking faculty and staff proposals for projects to improve the quality of the university.

Total quality management is a concept that has traditionally been used in corporations to define standards for products and business. Through it, the student is viewed as a consumer, and the units that serve the student are refined to provide the best and fastest service to students. The product, in this case, is the service and education provided by the units.

Reiter said the same concepts could be used to improve education and service at the university.

The steering committee on continuous quality improvement meets every three to four weeks in order to put out proposals for changes.

Reiter said he has implemented changes in the way he teaches as part of an effort to serve students. He asks students to evaluate his courses periodically throughout the semester, rather than completing one evaluation at the end of the semester.

He has also "done away" with competitive grading, and gives grades based on performance on homework.

"Grading on a curve is senseless. It's not measuring the quality of instruction," Reiter said.

Dana Rooks, assistant director of library administration and a member of the Committee on Continuing Quality Improvement, said a wide variety of changes can be made to the institution using the principles of total quality management, which would improve the university as a whole.

"The goal would be to focus our operations on the needs of students – our customers – and to do our jobs in a way that improves our service," Rooks said.

Reiter said improvements in quality must be looked at as an ongoing process that changes as the variables change.

"This is an overall commitment to the institution. It's never been done because the environment is changing all the time," he said.

*******************************************************

HUTCHISON, FISHER DUKE IT OUT

by A. Nett

Tension rose during the final debate between the Texas senatorial candidates when Democratic challenger Richard Fisher accused Republican incumbent Kay Bailey Hutchison of changing her position on the crime bill based on money received from political action committee money she received from the National Rifle Association.

In the debate, broadcast live Wednesday night from the UH Hilton, the ire rose as Fisher accused Hutchison of voting against the crime bill because she received a $17,000 check from the National Rifle Association.

"This is the problem I have with my opponent; with all due respect, she talks tough about crime, but she's unwilling to vote for a crime bill that makes a lot of sense and the simple reason for it was because she received a check from the National Rifle Association for $17,000. Even if she felt deeply in her heart...that she was against the bill that would be fine, but I find it discomforting, the fact that she has received money from a lobby organization," Fisher said.

Hutchison admitted she accepted money from the NRA, but said Fisher also accepts PAC money despite his claims he does not.

"I have taken PAC money that is legal...he takes PAC money, but he doesn't report it. That's the difference between us. He takes it through the Democratic Senatorial Committee. I take it, and I report it," Hutchison said.

Hutchison went on to defend herself by saying there is nothing wrong with special-interest money that comes from working people in companies that make contributions. She said corporations try to get their employees interested in the political process by supporting the issues through campaign donations. She calls herself a "grassroots candidate" who has received over 70,000 individual non-PAC contributions.

Hutchison said that at a Fisher fund-raiser, the Democratic Party actively solicited PAC money.

Fisher said whatever money is given to the Democratic Party is fine, but he has specifically requested that he not receive PAC money for his campaign.

He said he did not ask the Democratic Party if he was receiving any PAC money through its support of his campaign. He said he hopes he has not received any, and that if he has, he will give it back promptly.

"I am not owned or beheld to anybody but the people of this state. I don't want to have any special-interest money in my campaign," Fisher said.

Budget-balancing was also a big issue that both candidates agree cannot be resolved unless everything, except Social Security, is put out on the table for possible cuts.

"We can't continue to appropriate the way we do," Hutchison said. She said Social Security is not on the table, but that Medicaid and Medicare are negotiable.

The candidates are at odds on the issue of the proposed General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade. Hutchison said she does not like the funding system for the proposed legislation.

Hutchison is concerned about the World Trade Organization having sovereignty over some decisions about American goods like product-labeling.

"I am in favor of lowering tariffs. I think it will create jobs for Americans," said Hutchison, but she also said she does not know if she will vote for GATT the way it is currently proposed. She said the proposed pact is vague.

Fisher said he does not believe sovereignty is a problem. He said there should be a general lowering of tariffs across the board. He has no reservations about the way GATT is currently written.

******************************************************

ECONOMICS MAJORS GET JOB ADVICE

by Joey Guerra

Economics majors and other interested students received advice from UH alumni with degrees in economics as the Career Planning and Placement Center hosted a job seminar Wednesday in the UC Parliament Room.

Students were welcomed by Carol Beerstecher, a career counselor at CPPC. "Our effort here is to better inform you of your career choices," Beerstecher said.

Guest speakers included Jacqueline Croy, a senior consultant at Price Waterhouse, who received her bachelor's in economics from UH in 1988. Croy stressed the importance of the CPPC in her early efforts to find a job.

"All the interviewing practice with the Career Planning and Placement Center was very beneficial," said Croy, who added that when she interviews people now, she looks for those who fit in well with the company and who make themselves stand apart from the dozens of other potential employees.

"Don't be afraid to talk about yourself," Croy said.

Technical understanding is helpful when searching for economics-related jobs, as is fluency in a foreign language, Croy said, adding that understanding the culture and customs of a foreign land is necessary, along with technical-speaking skills.

Another speaker at the seminar, Jess P. Hewitt III, chairman of executive operations at Hydrocarbon Processing, also stressed the need for fluency in a language other than English.

Hewitt, who is also a UH graduate, received his degree in economics and in 1992 started a company that supplies petroleum fuels.

He said both Spanish and Japanese are important when dealing with international clients and contacts.

"If you're looking to go into work, your goal is to get an offer," Hewitt said.

He said good grades and experience are important in beginning a search for a career in economics, along with a good statistical background.

Hewitt also stressed the fact that many companies want computer-literate employees who do not have to be trained in PC use and word-processing software like the spreadsheet <I>Lotus 1-2-3<P>.

An important aspect of business dealings that is often overlooked is simple etiquette, Hewitt said. Employees must know how to eat properly when attending business luncheons and how to communicate with people.

"It will get you ahead more than you can believe if you have plain, simple manners," Hewitt said.

Both speakers stressed the idea of extracurricular activities as an important aspect of deciding which potential employees get a call-back. Degrees, year of graduation and even the organization of a resume were mentioned as factors in deciding who gets hired and who does not.

SUBSTANCE-ADDICTION PROGRAM PROVIDED AS PART OF NATIONAL DRUG PREVENTION MONTH

by Tawanta Feifer

The UH Wellness Center will celebrate National Drug Prevention Month with Red Ribbon Week and an "Addiction & Recovery" program today at the UC Satellite as well as other campus sites.

On behalf of the center's "Peer Educators Program," UH students are sponsoring Red Ribbon Week as part of the "Texans' War on Drugs" movement, said director of Outreach Services Rosemary Hughes.

Information, ribbons and pledges will be available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. today at the University Center, UC Satellite and other campus locations.

Students will have the opportunity to sign pledges that say they believe in the prevention of drug abuse and do not promote the unlawful use of drugs and alcohol, Hughes said.

The "Addiction & Recovery" forum will be held from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 27 of the Satellite. A former National Basketball Association All-Star, thus far known only as "Gus," will speak about his drug addiction and recovery, Hughes said.

Hughes said more UH students are at the forefront of the UH Wellness Center's campaign against drug and alcohol abuse this year than any other.

"There is no such thing (as) responsible use of illegal drugs or underage alcohol," Hughes said.

"We know alcohol and other drugs impair the ability to perform well in school. It affects achievement and relationships," Hughes added.

"We see potential for violence for students who have alcohol and drug problems," she said. "Alcohol-related deaths are the No. 1 killer of people 16-24 years old.

"We help students choose a healthy lifestyle and to drink responsibly," she said.

The Wellness Center, formerly known as STEPS, was organized in 1991 with a two-year grant awarded by the Department of Education, Hughes said.

She said the center focuses on drug and alcohol abuse prevention, HIV, acquaintance rape and sexual harassment, and assault counseling.

WOMEN'S STUDIES MECCA

Research center planned as knowledge depository

by Gale Lunsford

The UH Women's Studies Program plans to further enhance its community involvement goals with the "long-range" objective of opening the Women's Archive and Research Center.

According to Cynthia Freeland, director of UH Women's Studies, the center will serve the community and scholars as an active research center within the next five to 10 years. WARC would include historical and present papers and oral histories documenting women's involvement and contributions throughout the region.

"These documents could include diaries of women who were pioneers. We're also looking for papers of less-prominent people who have made contributions to society," Freeland said.

Beth Olson, professor of communications, said WARC will enhance the Women's Studies Program and legitimize women's contributions to society.

"I would like to see all media aspects included in the center because messages about women's roles in society are pervasive across media," Olson said.

The Women's Studies Friends Group helped to start the 1994-’95 Subscription Lecture Series as a fund-raiser for WARC. Community members, faculty and students subscribe to these lectures, which provide current information on women's issues like sexual harassment, health care reform and leadership in academics.

"These lectures offer people in the community a chance to mingle and ask experts questions about issues important to women," Freeland said.

She said she hopes the center will be a community and scholarly resource for learning about past and present women. Even though other women's research centers exist in Texas, none provides an active research center.

Freeland said history can often explain contemporary aspects of women's issues.

"(WARC) would be a very strong resource for Women's Studies," Freeland said. "Our goal is to show how academic resources can ... help to shape women's perceptions of themselves and inspire young girls ... to have more respect for women's contributions."

According to Olson, television's portrayal of women is less one-dimensional and more character-developed.

"We could compare the television moms from the ’50s like June Cleaver to a present-day mom like Roseanne. There's a fluctuation over time because of cultural and societal changes," Olson said.

She said she hopes the Women's Studies Program, which is approximately three years old, will help the community via WARC to have a greater understanding of women's issues and the potential to address these issues.

"We (Women's Studies) would like to give all young people, especially women, a voice of authority," Freeland said.

"I don't mean being bossy. I mean being able to feel that what you think is of value and something you can contribute to society."

PENNIES NOT FROM HEAVEN, BUT MAKE CENTS IN A PINCH

by Tawanta Feifer

It seems I am constantly inundated with pennies in my everyday monetary transactions. Everywhere I look, there are 99-cent stores and sale prices of $19.99.

And once you have them, it takes an act of God to get rid of them. It is only by divine providence that I ever make a purchase that requires an even bill. Since I hate pennies with a passion, I decided to do a little homework to find out why we even have these nuisances in the first place.

What I found out is that Americans have used pennies in one form or another since the first settlers came to the New World. Each colony had its own monetary system and coinage that made commerce between the colonies confusing and volatile. So after the Revolutionary War, the first U.S. treasurer, Alexander Hamilton, proposed a standard coinage that would be used by the newly formed nation.

The penny underwent many revisions as various artists competed for design rights, and mints experimented with various weights and combinations of alloys. The large federally minted pennies, accused of being heavy, ugly and filthy, were unpopular.

Because banks refused to take them, and stores charged a higher price for using them, people began using privately minted pennies. By 1851, it cost the federal government at least $1.06 to mint 100 cents.

So on Feb. 21, 1857, Congress authorized 1-cent coins made of 88 percent copper and 12 percent nickel, with a flying eagle motif to be minted. The flying eagle motif evolved into an American Indian-head penny, then into an American Indian head of a copper/tin/zinc alloy. The mint continued to experiment with various alloys because previous alloys were too hard and would wear the die down rapidly.

Today's penny is made of a 95 percent copper and 5 percent tin/zinc alloy. It was designed by Lithuanian sculptor Victor David Brenner, who took an interest in Abraham Lincoln's life and designed and made model pennies a few years before the centennial of Lincoln's birth. He showed his design to his new friend, President Theodore Roosevelt, who pushed it through Congress. On Aug. 2, 1909, Congress commissioned the Lincoln penny.

All pennies begin as a molten alloy of copper, tin and zinc that is poured into blocks measuring 18 feet long, 16 inches wide and 6 inches high. After the sheets cool, they are cut in half, reheated and passed nine times through hot rollers until they are one-half-inch thick, then through cold rollers until they are one-tenth of an inch thick.

After going through a finishing mill, the sheets are then sent to a high-speed press, where the blanks, or planchets, are punched out at a rate of 200 per minute.

The scrap metal, or scissel, is recycled while the blanks are cleaned with an acid bath. The rims of the coins are formed by sending the blanks into a too-small hole. The cleaned and rimmed blanks are finally sent to a coining press that prints four blanks at once. The pennies are now ready to be counted, bagged and distributed.

Michael White, spokesman for the Bureau of the Mint, said the bureau mints on demand, but for fiscal year 1994, they minted 13.3 billion pennies. There was a shortage of pennies in 1974 and 1982, but that was because of the rise in copper prices, White said.

He said in 1990 there were 132 billion pennies in circulation and that since then, 39 billion more have been minted. "People have a tendency to hold onto them (pennies)."

White also said the reason for retail prices that entail pennies is because of sales tax, which is usually not a whole number.

White said he tries to take his pennies to the bank. He said his bank accepts loose pennies (boy, is he lucky), so he drops them off, and they show as a deposit on his statement.

"I leave them on the corner of the countertop or my nephew takes them," said Kirt Martin, a biology graduate student. "A few years ago, we (he and some friends) used to have a big glass jar that I used to empty (the change from) my pockets in. One time, we wanted to buy a pizza, so we counted all the loose change we had in the jar. We had close to $50, so we went out and bought groceries."

Pre-pharmacy freshman Kimberly Cox said, "I usually try to save them. And then I get broke and end up wrapping them to buy cigarettes. They're (tellers) not happy to take them."

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Central Site computer lab strives to satisfy students

by Marla Dudman

"Computer crazy" is the sound bite around campus these days, as thousands of students scramble to find available computers to help them complete their assignments on time.

"At the Central Site Computing Center, we strive to accommodate as many students as possible and offer a wide variety of software on 45 Macintosh computers, 24 PCs and five NeXT Technology systems," CSCC Manager James P. McGee said. "However, we do admit that students have to be put on a waiting list from time to time."

Suresh Henry, a part-time computer operator at the site, said the waiting period can be from 30 to 45 minutes during peak periods. In general, though, most students interviewed found the CSCC more accessible – it is located on the ground floor of the Social Work Building – with more available computers offering a wider selection of software to fit varying needs than other computing facilities on campus.

"The engineering (computer) lab is almost always full," said Van Nguyen, an electrical engineering major. "So I go wherever I can. That’s why I’m at CSCC today."

Van Nguyen wasn’t too happy with the printer output at the facility that day, though. "They just got this new Copicard system like the library, only it’s a green card. I don’t think the computer operator understands yet how to use it. It’s really very frustrating when you can’t get a quick printout of your work."

Another student who is also an electrical engineering major praised the CSCC for its network system that enables him to send his assignments directly to the engineering lab without worrying about extra printouts.

McGee said the center recently purchased two additional laser-quality printers and is working hard to ease the printer load and compatibility problems with better printers and the use of the green Copicard system.

Although there are 26 computer labs on campus, the only ones available to all students regardless of their major are the M.D. Anderson Library Computing Center, Learning Support Services' Media Resource Center, Central Site Computing Center, the Biology Computing Lab and the Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences Computer Lab.

The students interviewed preferred the CSCC because of its accessibility, wide range of software and laser-quality output, despite being put on a waiting list from time to time.

"Our peak times are usually Monday night from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Sunday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.," said Henry, who is also an electrical engineering major and a frequent computer user at the facility.

However, McGee said the CSCC is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, except from midnight Saturday to 8 a.m. Sunday and midnight Sunday to 8 a.m. Monday. Those hours should give most students the extra time they need to complete their work, he said.

One common complaint is that all students taking English classes are required to learn how to use a Macintosh computer, but that sometimes only PCs are available. "We do have a request in for additional computer purchases," McGee said. "We understand that it is a problem."

Martha Salinas, a management information systems major and part-time computer operator at CSCC, said the largest percentage of students come in to the lab to use <I>Microsoft Word<P> software for the Mac, although some use <I>MacWrite<P> or <I>WordPerfect<P> for the Macintosh.

Other software programs available on CSCC's Macintosh computers are <I>Microsoft Works<P>, <I>Claris Works<P>, <I>MacPaint<P>, <I>Mathematica<P> and <I>Excel<P>. A variety of similar software is available for the PC, including Lotus. However, due to some incompatibility problems, <I>WordPerfect<P> is not yet available.

There are also a few systems installed with <I>PageMaker<P> desktop publishing software and scanning capabilities. The NeXT Technology systems are used primarily for special engineering projects.

Salinas said students who go to work at the site spend a week-and-a-half training so that they are prepared to assist students with basic software and computer operations questions. Formal tutoring is not available at the site, however. "We just don’t have the manpower," McGee said.

He added he has had to advise students against hiring outside tutors on their own, then bringing them over to the CSCC to use the university’s equipment for training. "It is against the law for students to rent their services for hire using state-owned equipment," he said, "because it is for personal gain."

To help alleviate this problem, consultants are on staff at the center to assist students with more in-depth software and computer questions. Otherwise, students who need formal training should register for classes offered both on and off campus, McGee said.

CONCENTRATING ON HITTING

Sophomore netter finds success behind the stars

With senior hitter Lilly Denoon-Chester dominating the Houston volleyball team's offense, she also dominates most of the media attention given to the Cougars. In her shadow is another hitter, a sophomore by the name of Emily Leffers.

She is second on the team in kills with 194 in 67 games and 18 matches. She is third in digs with 144 and first in service aces with 20. She is also second in assists with 50.

In the Cougars' 3-0 victory over Texas Tech Wednesday night, Leffers racked up 13 kills with only one attacking error, and had a hitting percentage of .522 with nine digs, all second to Denoon-Chester. Yet this back seat doesn't seem to upset her at all.

"I don't care at all," she said. "I hope I don't get as much press."

But as a sophomore, and with Denoon-Chester graduating after this year, the future may hold many post-game interviews for her.

This season has been quite an adjustment for Leffers over last year. As a freshman, she played in 26 of the team's 36 matches. This year, she has not missed a start.

"It's so different this year," she said. "There's not that extra person to compete with."

Last season, there were more people competing for her spot in the starting rotation, causing her confidence level to go down, she said. Now her confidence is regaining ground, the same as her playing level.

Still, she said she doesn't think she is playing her best and added that she felt she didn't play well against the Raiders. She suffered a sprained wrist in practice Tuesday night and said it affected her defensive game.

Despite her words, there was not much supporting evidence in the box score.

NETTERS BEAT TECH, SECURE TIE IN SWC

Denoon-Chester, Leffers lead volleyball team

to 12th straight victory on offensive rampage

by Chris Peña

After thrashing the Texas Tech Red Raiders 3-0 Wednesday night in a Southwest Conference match in front of 487 spectators at Hofheinz Pavilion, it can safely be said that the Houston Cougar volleyball team is on fire.

The Cougars (15-3 overall, 8-0 in the SWC) hit over, around and through the unusually porous Tech defense as they won the match by scores of 15-7, 15-5 and 15-2, on their way to their 12th straight victory, clinching at least a tie for the SWC title.

Wednesday's match was quite a difference from the teams' previous tangle in Lubbock. In the first match, the Red Raiders (12-12, 4-4) took the Cougars to five games by excelling in what they're nationally know for: defense.

Tech head coach Mike Jones blamed his team's poor performance on lack of enthusiasm.

"In order to play good defense, you need to play with intensity," he said. "I don't think our team was into it tonight."

But regardless of how bad Tech played, Jones said the Cougars deserve all the credit.

"Houston just played better," he said. "Lilly (Denoon-Chester) was really on tonight."

Indeed, the All-America and SWC Player of the Week was once again unstoppable. Denoon-Chester had her typical dominating performance. The 6-0 senior hitter from Pasadena posted 21 kills against Tech, giving her 351 for the season and padding her school record in the category.

Cougar head coach Bill Walton said the Cougars knew what they needed to do to defeat a team that has traditionally been tough for the Cougars to beat.

"I didn't tell the team anything different tonight," he said. "They went out there tonight and took care of business.

"There was no yelling and screaming in the locker room. They knew what they wanted to do and they went out and did it."

Walton also said that, though Tech did not play as well defensively, there were other factors that decided the outcome.

"In the first match, we had leads in every game, but we let them run off four or five points in a row," he said. "Tonight, we didn't give them any momentum."

The Red Raiders had trouble establishing any continuity, as they were only able to muster two consecutive points at any given time in the match, which allowed the Cougars to dominate the pace, as well as the match.

Perhaps one of the more telling statistics was the final hitting percentage for both teams. The Cougars finished at .384, while Tech had three players in negative numbers and as a team finished at .102.

Houston sophomore hitter Emily Leffers added 13 kills of her own while committing just one attacking error, and senior hitter Carla Maul provided eight kills and 13 digs.

But once again, the Cougar hitters had someone in the middle they could count on to place the ball in the right spot.

Sophomore setter Sami Sawyer recorded 53 assists on the night, giving her 817 for the season.

The Cougars, who are ranked 20th in the nation, only have to defeat Texas A&M and Rice to finish the conference schedule undefeated, but Walton said it's not wise to start dreaming.

"When you start looking too far ahead in the future is when you start losing," he said.

And though the Cougars have had effective teams in the past, senior defensive specialist Heidi Sticksel says this team is different.

"I think we're having a very good year," she said. "We go out there and have a lot of fun. This is a team that can go very far (in the NCAA Tournament)."

APPROACHING THE FINISH LINE

Cross-country teams face SWC Championships

The Houston men's and women's cross-country teams are travelling to Lubbock this weekend, bringing the season to a close as they compete in the Southwest Conference Championships Sunday.

The women's team, led by junior Christy Bench, is looking to have one of its best years. Bench has finished second twice this year and has led the team in every meet.

"We're all feeling pretty strong," junior Melissa Gilberti said. "We have a really good team this year."

It is a team that has had some time off to prepare for the meet. It has not run in a meet since Oct. 15 at Iowa State. The next scheduled meet, the Cougar Classic Oct. 20 in Willis, was cancelled due to flooding in the area.

The Rice women's team is the favorite going into the meet, and Gilberti said the Cougars, while not giving up, are setting their sights on second place.

"(Head) coach Diane (Howell) was saying everyone was getting into a slump and now's the time when you have to pull it out," she said. "We need to go out there and do the best we can."

The team is formed by a nucleus of juniors (Bench, Gilberti, Cyndi Espinoza, Candy Fowler, Stephanie Olmstead and Torri Rhodes), who are now in their third year of running together. The team is rounded out by sophomore Yvonne Williams and freshmen Naima Ali and Lydia Reyes.

"A majority of us came in as freshmen, and it's like we've grown up together," Gilberti said.

The men have been paced by the legs of freshman Mike McAndrews.

He has two first-place finishes this season and finished in 20 minutes and five seconds at the Texas-San Antonio meet, which the Cougars won.

The men's best showing came at Sam Houston. The Cougars finished first overall, with McAndrews taking first, senior Wayne Newsome second, freshman Frank Porreco third and sophomore Matt Moran fourth.

The lineup for the Cougars at the SWC meet will be junior Paul Lupi, sophomore Spencer Lightsy, freshman Mike Crawford, freshman Vance Reyes, Moran, McAndrews, Newsome and Porreco.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

LOVE PROVES HOLE CAN <I>LIVE THROUGH THIS<P>

by D. McAdams

It's difficult to write about Courtney Love and not address significant other Kurt Cobain's untimely death, or the death of her bassist, Kristen M. Pfaff. One can only wonder what her band Hole's next album will entail, or whether she will even make another album given the tragedies she's suffered recently.

<I>Live Through This<P> stands as Hole's big-break major-label release and unfortunately, it has that major-release "feel" about it. All the tracks sound nice, glossy and crystal-clean, a far cry from 1991's <I>Pretty on the Inside<P>, an arguable classic.

<I>Pretty<P> seemed to be the crowning achievement of the early '90s riot grrrl movement. The word of the day then was full-throat, raw-voiced angst accompanied by the nastiest, sharpest, razor-edged chords known to man. And what topped this maelstrom of fury was Courtney Love's caustic, witty lyricism and her oh-so-distinctive screaming.

<I>Pretty<P> seemed to lash out at society in retribution for its many slights against women, and did so admirably. <I>Live<P> finds Hole, and Love, with a new sound, a new ethic and new band mates. Love has mellowed a bit on this release, but not by much.

There are some very measurable differences between <I>Live<P> and <I>Pretty<P>, particularly the moods of the two. Where riot-grrrl angst once reigned, a more (relatively) mellow, introspective theme now lives. There is a discernibly more "radio-friendly" sound to <I>Live<P>, no doubt due to the transition from a minor label to Goliath DGC.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible Hole has become more radio-friendly because its frontwoman has calmed down from her "My body is a temple and you can enter if you crawl" days.

Any Nirvana fan who had the vaguest notions of Love and Cobain's relationship will find the album creepy and a bit apocryphal. Just check out the title track's chorus, which moans, "If you live through this with me, I swear that I will die for you."

Or listen to "Doll Parts," where in one part of the song, Love wails, "I fake it so real I am beyond fake. Some day you will ache like I ache." Keep in mind these songs were recorded <I>prior<P> to Cobain's death.

On the whole, the album gets a B+/A- (only because I'm hopelessly jaded by the brilliance that was <I>Pretty on the Inside<P>).

Check out Hole in concert Monday at Numbers.

<I>DEAD<P> WAKES YOU UP

by Stephen Stelmak

Body Count's <I>Born Dead<P> starts out slow and grinding. As the album goes on, it becomes the energetic and gritty music Ice-T is known for. Several songs take you to the darker side of metal, leaving the listener hyped.

After the slow start, "Necessary Evil" lashes out in anger with Ice-T's vocals and Body Count's backup. Written by Mooseman, the bassist, this is the first song to take the listener into the dreary and violent world normally found in Ice-T's mind. The lyrics match the aggressive music, and the album finally seems worthwhile.

The next song, "Shallow Graves," seems to be Body Count's response to ’60s music with its own louder and heavier anti-war song.

"Street Lobotomy" is a mish-mash of fast guitars, heavy drums and anti-drug sentiments.

Body Count's <I>Born Dead<P> is hard-hitting, but sometimes, it misses the mark. Trying too hard to be the bad boys of heavy metal, the band puts in lyrics that make them seem little above a high school band. Profanity is thrown in often just to make Ice-T seem tough.

The first song, "Body M/F Count" is over two minutes long and has only the lyrics "Body Count! Body Motherfuckin' count! (repeat)."

"Killing Floor" seems equally pointless. These childish, chest-beating songs should have been cut.

If you're looking for an album full of furious energy, then get <I>Born Dead<P>. The hard, pounding singing and backup of Body Count raises spirts and wakes you up if you're jaded by caffeine.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

NRUST BRINGS A NEW SOUND TO HEAVY METAL

by Chris Stelmak

Rust has just released a seven-song EP under Atlantic Records. This is the band's first album under a major record label. Rust gives metal a new sound.

Wharton Tiers, who produced Rust's latest EP, has produced albums for many famous bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr. and Helmet. The band's self-titled release is an exceptional album. Rust creates a new sound untraveled by any other band.

The band comes from the large local music scene of San Diego. This new release should boost Rust into national standards.

Rust's music has a distinctive sound to it. The group is similar to TOOL, with the common bond of depressing lyrics and heavy metal melodies. It is heavy and hard, yet slow. It has smooth guitar and bass, then will break out into a grinding heavy metal.

Lead singer John B makes a great addition to the album. His voice is heavy and brutal and slightly depressing. The lyrics sound as if they were taken from a death metal band. The result is a sound not usually heard by most lead singers. John B expresses his depressing views of life throughout the album.

In "Some Days Never Come," John B expresses how everyone lies to others and how he hopes he will learn to never trust anyone. "Dry" talks about how humans are slowly killing each other off. "Is this the way the world ends?/Not with bombs, but with our friends/We'll just wear our smiles in our attack/We'll stab each other in the back."

Other songs on the album refer to drug addiction, judging others and frustration. Most of the lyrics deal with depression and hopelessness.

<I>Rust<P> is always amazing, even after listening to it several times. The EP is full of emotion. Anyone who likes a mix of heavy metal, hard rock and possibly death metal will like <I>Rust<P>. If you like depressing music, you should definitely get this album.