DIVERSITY MONTH GOOD EATIN'

Cultural Diversity Month kicks off today with an international food fair and will be complemented with discussions and panels throughout the month.

The food fair happens today at Butler Plaza Fountain (in front of M.D. Anderson Library) at 11:15 a.m. UH President James Pickering is scheduled to address the event at 11 a.m. Music will be provided by the Afro-Cuban Ensemble.

Throughout the month, various events will spotlight different cultures, including Mexican, Chinese, Cambodian and Filipino. Events will take place in the University Center, Moody Towers, Cullen Performance Hall and other campus venues.

The event is sponsored by member groups of the International Student Organization.

*******************************************************

SA EXECS NOW ACCESSIBLE WITH E-MAIL

by Jennifer Smith

Students with computer accounts may now voice their concerns to the Students' Association because the group's executive officers are available via electronic mail.

Justin McMurtry, a former SA senator who made the endeavor possible, said he has big dreams for UH's electronic facilities in the future.

Working as a member of the campus service organization Campus Action Network, McMurtry initiated and put into effect a plan to make student leaders accessible to the people they represent.

His plans are bigger than that, however. McMurtry said he hopes to put the SA Constitution and Code on line in early November.

The SA officers who have e-mail addresses are SA President Angie Milner (st69g@jetson.uh.edu), SA Secretary Brian Varnadoe (st69f@jetson.uh.edu), Treasurer Kay To (st2c2@jetson.uh.edu) and SA Director of Public Relations Thao Vuong (st695@jetson.uh.edu).

SA Speaker Jeff Fuller, the remaining member of the SA Executive Cabinet, does not have an e-mail account.

Commenting on the project via e-mail, Milner said the new capabilities are intended to foster more student involvement in SA and better communications with students.

"E-mail is another form of communication for students who are unable to attend SA Town Hall meetings, Table Talks or Senate meetings to voice their concerns," Milner wrote. "Through e-mail, we can receive instant input on an issue and have access to maintain consistent correspondence with that student.

"Before, we were in a situation where we were dependent on answering machines to give students updates on the issues they were concerned with."

McMurtry said he would like to generally increase student awareness of UH computer facilities.

"One of the things I would like to see is developing the use of the various electronic facilities that are currently available on campus," he said. "These computers have been sitting here in the Students' Association for years. <I>Eudora<P> (Macintosh e-mail software) has existed for quite awhile and has been on the AppleTalk all this time."

Campuswide, McMurtry said the Jetson VAX cluster is under-utilized as well. He said he would like to see more people using the facility, which is available to all students, staff and faculty free of additional charge.

A plan McMurtry said he would like to implement is to require all freshmen to take a one-credit-hour basic computer skills workshop similar to one taught at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

McMurtry said he doesn't reasonably expect a program like this to be implemented soon, but he would like UH to use what it does have to the fullest. "It doesn't help much to have a nice new car if you don't know how to drive it."

McMurtry was defeated last spring in his bid for re-election as a senator-at-large, but has remained involved with SA.

"I thought I might stick around. I've got some time, and I see things that need to be done," McMurtry said. "I like to think that's how student leaders are supposed to act."

FIVE PROFESSORS OF OPTOMETRY DRAW ACCOLADES

by Tawanta Feifer

Five professors in the UH College of Optometry received special recognition by optometric associations and by the university last spring and summer.

R. Norman Bailey, associate professor of optometry, was named chair of the Ethics and Values of Optometric Care and Services Committee of the American Optometric Association for July 1994 through June 1995.

The association, a national organization of professional optometrists in the United States, promotes professionalism in the field and its interests in health care reform.

As chair of the committee, it will be Bailey's responsibility to set the agenda and make sure the committee functions as a unit, he said.

Some of the ethical concerns the committee addresses include treatment of impaired, uninsured or HIV-positive patients.

Bailey said the association works with other organizations like the Society to Prevent Blindness to provide care to the needy.

"As professionals, we should worry about patients first and payment second," he said.

Jerald W. Strickland, dean of the College of Optometry, was elected this June as secretary-treasurer of the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry.

The association, with headquarters in Rockville, Md., is comprised of 17 optometry schools in the United States and two in Canada. The association lobbies in Washington, D.C., for federal funding to support research, teaching and patient care. It also coordinates programs like faculty development.

Optometry professors Marcus Piccolo, Nancy Coletta and Donald Pitts were honored in the spring 1994 semester at an awards ceremony for newly promoted, tenured and retiring faculty members.

Piccolo, an associate professor, received tenure, while Coletta was promoted to associate professor with tenure.

Pitts, who is no longer with the university, was granted professor emeritus status.

TO KNOW THYSELF, VISIT THY LOCAL ZOO

Millions of years ago, hunters had to understand their prey to outwit the animals that would turn into that evening's supper. They would stalk the animals, watching every move they made, ready to spear them once detected.

Even in the days of the cavemen, animal behavior was something in which each hunter had to have a Ph.D. Being naked, vulnerable and defenseless, they had to understand the ways of the beasts in order to avoid changing their titles from predator to prey, and becoming potential meals.

Understanding animal behavior, or ethology, benefits humans through learning the effects drugs have on people and the reasons for mental illness. By watching the reactions of animals to certain aspects of nature or medicine, researchers are able to hypothesize as to how man would be affected by similar circumstances.

The studies of ancient man were passed down to today's civilizations through folklore, old songs and paintings. Cave paintings were a great aid to researchers in realizing how hunters of the past dealt with animals.

However, another aspect of studying animal behavior is to help in conservation. Many habitats are diminishing at alarming rates due to human exploitation, and an increasing number of species is endangered or already extinct. Learning how animals respond to human interaction, firsthand or through various filters, researchers are able to learn what part of human existence animals are unequipped to battle.

Animals have different instincts and ways of acquiring food. Sharks use electrical waves generated by the nervous systems of their prey to home in. They are able to sense the struggling fish or scent of blood for many miles. Snakes are capable of "tasting the air," and "seeing the heat." Vipers and rattlesnakes can detect a rise in temperature of as little as 0.009 degrees. They use heat-sensitive membranes located in the pits below their eyes to detect their prey through body temperature.

Grunion runs, a favorite nighttime activity of beach dwellers, are sparked by the moon. Grunions respond to phases of the moon by coming to deposit eggs on the beach during spring tides.

The sexual behavior of animals has puzzled, interested and amazed researchers for decades. Pheasants have an especially hypnotic courtship ritual to add to their magnificent appearance. The male clears a 13- to 16-foot radius for a dance floor, where he solicits the female with calls, foot-tapping and leaping, creating an elaborate display of love to match the visual one.

Fireflies use their lights to create love. The male flies around, producing different patterns of light by flashing on and off. The flashes are characteristic of the species of fireflies to which he belongs. The females have a different flash pattern with which they answer the love call, and this enables the two to find each other in the dark.

However, one fly in the ointment exists for the male: The female only answers to a signal that is exactly right, leaving the male in a "will she, won't she" dilemma.

Animal behavior is not only of interest to researchers. Discovery Channel programs and National Geographic magazines display the various interests people in general have in animals and their behavior. Perhaps learning about them helps humans learn more about each other.

***GRAPHIC BOX***

Interesting Animal Facts:

Charles Darwin: proposed the theory of evolution, in which he explained how animals come to be so well adapted to their surroundings.

Karl R. von Frisch: discovered the dance of the honey bees with which worker bees inform other bees where food can be found.

Konrad Z. Lorenz: the founding father of ethology. In the theory of animal behavior, he stressed the inherited aspects of animals.

I.P. Pavlov: studied conditioned reflexes and showed how a dog will come to salivate at the sound of a bell if a bell is rung prior to every meal.

HOOPLA, HOOPS AT 'BASH'

Festival signals beginning of men's, women's seasons

Hoops are almost here.

The 1994-'95 UH college basketball season will begin with the "Basketball Bash" Saturday from 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The bash, which is free, will give the UH community a chance to see the new teams. Men's head coach Alvin Brooks and women's head coach Jessie Kenlaw will be on hand to introduce the teams and talk about the upcoming season.

The day will have a festival atmosphere, with photo opportunities, face-painting, Shasta, the Cougar Brass Band, Cougar Dolls, UH cheerleaders and a live remote by Mix 96.5 FM.

Highlight videos will be shown to fans, who will be able to pick and purchase their seats for season tickets.

The men's team, led by preseason all-SWC pick Tim Moore, will open its season with an exhibition game against the Houston Flights Nov. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Hofheinz. The Cougars open the regular season Nov. 25 at 7:30 p.m. against James Madison at home.

In addition to Moore, the Cougars return starters Jessie Drain, Willie Byrd and Tyrone Evans. The incoming class is highlighted by 6-9, 245-pound freshman Galen Robinson, who was named the preseason SWC Newcomer of the Year.

The Lady Cougars also start the season against the Houston Flights Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. in Hofheinz. They begin the regular season on the road at the Felspauch/MSU Classic in East Lansing, Mich., Nov. 25 against Detroit. Their first home game is against Prairie View A&M Nov. 30.

The Lady Cougars are returning two starters: last year's freshman sensation Pat Luckey, who will be eligible after the fall semester, and Antoinette Issac.

KNORN HEAVY ON THE EARS, LIGHT ON VARIETY

by Stephen Stelmak

What does one think of when "heavy metal" is brought up? Usually, guitar-driven music rife with harsh vocals and simplistic bass lines comes to mind. Korn is all of this and no more.

The first six songs of the album are different only because they have different names. The music is loud, repetitive and, after six songs of the same thing, annoying. The best song on its self-titled album, "Shoots and Ladders," may not be that great of a song, but at least it's different.

The combination of nursery rhymes, heavy metal music and bagpipes works surprisingly well together. The main drawback of the five-minute song is that it should have been, like all the songs on <I>Korn<P>, either less repetitive or a minute shorter.

"Helmet in the Bush" is another song that manages not to irritate you as much, and is worth listening to if you know someone with the CD. It's still repetitive and loud, but at least it's not grinding.

A round of applause could be given for the last song of the album, "Daddy." The nine-minute song about incest is uncomfortable to listen to, but at least the band says something.

If you like loud, repetitive metal music, you should run right out and buy <I>Korn<P>. It might be a band to listen to in the future if it allows lead singer Jonathan Davis to play his bagpipes in more than one song and gets some more variety in its music.