HONG KONG STUDENTS ON CAMPUS ORGANIZE; HOMELAND MULLS FUTURE

by Farnaz Dandia

As 1997 draws near, the 150 years of British colonial rule over Hong Kong near their end and China waits to stake its claim. As the natives of Hong Kong await the inevitable, students from Hong Kong who are attending UH are doing what they can to remain united.

The Hong Kong Students' Association has developed as a separate entity since the beginning of this semester. Although an Asian Students' Association and a Chinese Students' Association have existed for several years, this is the first time a separate association for Hong Kong natives has developed.

Hoi Ming (Boris) Chan, a senior marketing major who is president and founder of the association, said, "We saw a need for this association because there is an increasing population of immigrants from Hong Kong in Houston as a whole, and there are a lot of international students as well. We saw a need to promote our culture and to provide a mutual understanding between all cultures."

He added, "There is an Asian Students' Association, but it has a different type of student body; they are mostly Asian Americans whereas we have more international students."

Chan also said the upcoming sovereignty China will gain over Hong Kong will affect UH students in different ways. He said a lot of the students are immigrants or international students who want to go back to their country. He added that many may want to return to Hong Kong because they have better chances of getting jobs there.

"The students have mixed feelings. They don't like Red China or its administration, yet they want to go back to Hong Kong because they feel a patriotism toward the country," Chan explained.

"Students say 'yes' and 'no' to Chinese control over Hong Kong. Even now, Britain rules over Hong Kong, so it isn't really independent."

Amy Lee, a senior marketing major and an officer of the association, said, "Our purpose is to get Hong Kong students together. People are homesick and this way, we can help each other out. The Asian Students' Association didn't have the same kind of closeness we do."

With regard to China's upcoming sovereignty, she added, "International students have no choice but to go back to Hong Kong unless they get a job here and their employer is willing to sponsor them in America. Some students are kind of worried about their families, but they can't do anything; they have to face it."

Another officer, James Tsoi, a junior business major, said China regaining control of Hong Kong is something the people cannot control. He said it is going to happen no matter what, and he still plans on returning to Hong Kong, regardless of who has sovereignty.

China recently made a statement that it intends to dismantle any democratically elected legislature formed in Hong Kong once it gains sovereignty, but Hong Kong's leaders proceeded with democratic reforms anyway.

The 1984 treaty that gives the colony of Hong Kong to China promises that Hong Kong can remain capitalist and autonomous for 50 years, but China says the democratic reforms violate the treaty.

*******************************************************

UH STAFFER CHARGED WITH THEFT

John Heron,

UHPD lieutenant.

A UH staff member was arrested Monday, after a month-long investigation, and charged with theft by a public servant, in connection with money being taken under false pretenses from Cougar Place residents.

According to UHPD Lt. John Heron, Ronny Hornback, an office assistant in Cougar Place Apartments since July 1992, allegedly was involved with two illegal transactions concerning payment procedures.

Heron said an investigation began on Sept. 30 after UHPD received a call from the Business Office for Residence Halls.

"We received a call that a student had complained about a charge on their housing bill, so we began searching all transactions made by Ronny," Heron said.

He said Hornback allegedly had told two students, Shang-Ling Liang and Mei-Chih We, on separate occasions that a cash deposit ($50 to $60) was required when changing rooms or checking into a new room.

"The residence halls take no cash, except on very rare occasions," Heron said.

UHPD began its investigations based on the first complaint by Liang and discovered the other offense when We complained about the same billing discrepancy.

Hornback resigned from his position at Cougar Place Monday.

Heron said no complaints concerning Hornback's performance on the job were received before the alleged incidents.

Residential Life and Housing declined to comment on Hornback's performance or the alleged occurrences.

Hornback was transported to Harris County Jail, with bond set at $1,000. The trial date has been set for Nov. 7.

Hornback's charge, theft by a public servant, is a Class A misdemeanor.

If convicted, he could face up to one year in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $3,000.

VOLLEYBALL TEAM WINS SWC

by Chris Peña

The Houston Cougar volleyball team has finally done it.

Never before has a team other than the Texas Longhorns won the Southwest Conference volleyball title.

The 19th-ranked Cougars (18-3 overall, 9-0 in the SWC) defeated the Rice Owls (7-16, 0-9) at Autry Court Wednesday night in four games by scores of 10-15, 15-5, 15-2 and 15-9 in front of 842 fans, many of which were Cougar supporters. With the victory, the Cougars extended their winning streak to a school-record-tying 15 matches.

Rice gave the Cougars a brief scare in the first game, but nevertheless fell to its 39th consecutive SWC loss.

The Owls jumped out to a 5-0 lead, but the Cougars came back to lead 10-6. But Rice seemed ready to play as the team fought its way back to win the first game.

Houston head coach Bill Walton attributed the bad start to nerves, but felt his team came ready to play.

"We were actually nervous tonight," he said. "Just the thought of playing for the championship made the girls nervous."

The Cougars bounced back after the first game and won the second game easily. And in the third game, after Rice had taken a 2-0 lead, they ran off 15 consecutive points.

Walton said he was glad to win the conference title, but he's also looking ahead.

"I honestly am looking toward the conference tournament and the NCAA tournament," he said. "But I'm real happy for the girls; they wanted this real big."

Senior hitter Lilly Denoon-Chester said the team got over its jitters after the first game.

"We played great tonight," she said. "I know we looked a little nervous out there, but we finally got things cooking and came back strong.

"This is a great victory, not only for us, but for the University of Houston."

Denoon-Chester didn't put up the huge stats she is accustomed to compiling, but the Cougars spread out their attack on the night.

Sophomore hitter Nashika Stokes played one of her better matches as she was second on the team with 12 kills; she also contributed eight digs.

Denoon-Chester had 13 kills and 13 digs on the night, leading the Cougars in both categories.

Walton said it's amazing that Texas has dominated volleyball in the Southwest Conference for so long.

"When I came here, I said I wanted to win a conference championship," he said. "I didn't think it was going to take eight years, but there is no rule on how long it takes to win."

Rice was led, as expected, by junior hitter Sammy Waldron, who registered 19 kills and 12 digs on the night, leading the Owls in both categories.

Unfortunately, Waldron's heroics were not enough to save a struggling Rice team that only hit .045 for the match. Besides Waldron, the only other starter with a positive hitting percentage was freshman Tiffany Carrethers.

One of the keys to the Cougar victory was once again blocking defense.

The Great Wall of Houston was in effect as the Cougars had 15 team blocks compared with only eight for the Owls.

In a fitting conclusion to the night, Cougar hitters Carla Maul and Marie-Claude Tourillon blocked an Owl attack for the Cougars' match point.

Tourillon led the Cougars with seven block assists, while Maul was a close second with six.

Denoon-Chester said the team can't afford to get too comfortable now that it has one title under its belt.

"We still have a lot of games ahead of us," she said. "We have to play Kentucky and Oklahoma still, and we still have the conference tournament left.

"We can't afford to get too excited or celebrate too much. Everybody is going to go after us from now on."

The Cougars' next match will be this Friday at Hofheinz Pavilion, when they host the Oklahoma Sooners at 7:30 p.m.

The Cougars defeated the Sooners in Oklahoma on Oct. 14 3-1.

The Cougars will conclude the SWC schedule with a match against the Texas A&M Lady Aggies in College Station Nov. 9.

COUGAR NEEDS MO' BETTER 'TOONS

by Terri Garner

Photos by Valérie C. Fouché

Question of the day: What would you like to see more of in The Daily Cougar?

•"National news, what's going on in the nation and state."

–David Wallace; junior, pharmacy

•"Better cartoons: They're horrible. Sam Spade I can't follow, and the one by Delgado, that was horrible. God, was that racist."

–Scott Kirkland; senior, pharmacy

•"More comic strips."

–Tu Phan; freshman, undeclared

•"Because I'm from India, I would like something to do with the Indian students on campus because there happens to be so many of them, and there's not even a mention of them even once. I've read a lot on Hispanics and blacks, of course, but I have not come across one Indian name since I have been here for a year."

–Vaishali Subramaniam; senior, psychology

•"I don't think we hear enough of the students' rights. I think they need to be made more public so that the people higher up understand what these people are going through. Oftentimes, in those ivory halls, decisions are made that seem good for everyone at large in their minds, but they're really not addressing student needs."

–Sam Buda; operator, Central Site computer lab

INJURIES THORN IN COUGARS' PAW

Add one more to the Houston Cougar injury list.

UH sophomore wide receiver Damion Johnson became the latest in a list of 11 players lost for the season, a list that seems to be getting longer each week.

Johnson separated his left shoulder in Saturday's 52-13 loss to Baylor.

Johnson had been starting in place of injured senior Ron Peters, who went down Oct. 15 against Southern Methodist.

However, Peters is expected to return to action next week when the Cougars travel to Austin to play Texas.

"We are hoping Peters will be able to come back soon," said Houston head coach Kim Helton. "But if he doesn't, then Larkay James will play."

Meanwhile, quarterback Chuck Clements has already started his rehabilitation assignments since he suffered a broken hand at Ohio State Sept. 24.

Other Cougars having sustained minor injuries since Saturday's contest are Ryan Burton (turf toe), Eric Harrison (sprained knee) and Thomas McGaughey (ankle).

Dedric Mathis has a fractured bone in his hand, and Alfred Young has a shoulder contusion, but both are practicing. All are expected to return next week, however.

L7 ROCKS THE HELL OUT OF HALLOWEEN WEEKEND

by Chris Stelmak

L7 put on an intense show Saturday at Fitzgerald's that rivaled its last performance in Houston on the main stage at Lollapalooza '94. Saturday's opening acts included Wool and The Melvins.

A couple of lit pumpkins adorned the stage as two red and blue lights on stage began to spin. L7 ran on stage, each wearing a pair of lit up devil's horns. Donita Sparks, guitarist and lead singer, had her face covered with white and black makeup.

These horned women played several songs from each of their albums, including their hits "Pretend We're Dead," "Shitlist" and "Andre." L7's interaction with the crowd was great. Donita Sparks even let the crowd play her guitar. In another song, Dee Plakas crouched down next to the crowd so people could watch her play the bass.

At the end of L7's set, the band pulled several women from the audience and strapped instruments onto them. L7 left the stage while the teenagers strummed and beat on their instruments, screaming into the microphone.