ATHLETICS MUM ON ALLEGED VIOLATION

The University of Houston allegedly said its football program has committed one major violation of NCAA rules and offered to place the program on a voluntary two-year probation to resolve investigations left over from the John Jenkins era, the Houston Chronicle reported Friday.

"I cannot comment on that (the story)," UH President James H. Pickering said Friday.

According to the story, an unidentified source said UH made the admission to violations and proposed probation to the NCAA in hopes of ending the two-year investigation through "summary disposition."

The process allows a school to bypass the usual hearing processes if the school and NCAA enforcement staff can agree on the findings beforehand and also allows the school to propose its own penalties (in this case, the two-year probation), subject to the approval of the NCAA Committee on Infractions.

The proposed probation, according to the story, would take away two scholarships and limit practice time. The story also said UH did not propose that the football team be banned from television or bowl games.

In the past, however, the NCAA has sought tougher penalties than the school has proposed.

UH athletic director Bill Carr would not comment on the story either.

"I have read it, but I cannot comment on it," he said of the story. "The process is continuing. We are working hand in hand with the NCAA staff, as we have been every day of my arrival."

He refused to confirm or deny the allegations.

The case began in the spring of 1993 after John Jenkins resigned under allegations of wrongdoing.

"I will be very happy to have this over and done with," Pickering said.

One of the accusations in 1993 was that one of Jenkins' assistant coaches, Steve Staggs, provided furniture for former runningback Ostell Miles' off-campus apartment in the fall of 1991. The Chronicle story stated this was the most serious violation found during the UH in-house and NCAA investigations.

This would violate the "extra-benefit rule," which states that coaches or school officials may not provide student-athletes with benefits that are not available to the average student.

"It's a whole new team and administration," Pickering said. "It's the present who must deal with the past.

"We need to do things in a different way. There are no short cuts; you have to do things the right way."

The next unknown is how this may affect UH's negotiations with the new conference.

"We have had a conference call," Pickering said. "I can say the same thing to them that I can say to you. Clearly, they're aware of what some of our problems are. Clearly, they're aware of our commitment to building a program."

Pickering also said there will be another meeting coming up "very soon" and that "discussions are moving along."

"The unfinished agenda is putting people in the stands," he said.

The only new information on the conference was that Pickering said it would not remain a six-team basketball conference and called it one of the best basketball conferences in the country.

As of Sunday, Miles is out of pro football after being cut by the Cincinnati Bengals in training camp this year. The Chronicle reported that Miles has not cooperated with NCAA investigators, Jenkins denied knowledge of "extra benefits" and Ed Lupomech, the NCAA enforcement representative who has done most of the work on the UH case, has not returned calls.

*******************************************************

CANDIDATES VIE FOR CHANCE TO BE NEW COUNTY JUDGE

by Niki Purcell

Harris County voters have an opportunity to elect their first new county judge in a generation. The voter's choices: Robert Eckels or Vince Ryan.

Upon election to this critical position, the judge will become the chairman of the board for a $647 million industry that affects everything from constituents' welfare to bayous. Robert Eckels, the Republican candidate, has served in the state House of Representatives for 12 years. Vince Ryan, the Democratic candidate, has been involved in local government for 13 years.

Both graduated from the University of Houston: Eckels in 1980 and Ryan in 1969. Both are Houston natives, both are practicing civil litigation attorneys and both believe in term limitations so strongly that both stepped down from their current positions because of it.

However, only one man is allowed to hold the position of Harris County Judge, a position which presides over more people than the total population of Arkansas: 750,000.

"I'm running for (the position) so that I can make a difference in the fight against crime, to stop runaway government spending and to preserve and protect our neighborhoods," Eckels said.

Ryan focused on his years of public service as his reason for running for county judge.

"With the incumbent not running, it was a natural option for me to use my 13 years experience on county and city councils, my 20 years experience in civic club work and my 25 years experience in the military to run for the position," Ryan said.

After graduating from UH with a bachelor of science degree, Eckels worked briefly before running for the state Legislature. In 1993, he received a law degree from the South Texas School of Law, which, he said, he plans to use to be county judge, a position that does not require the office holder to have a law degree.

In 1974, Ryan received his law degree from UH and has been practicing law since, as well as being a member of the Army Reserves. Ryan received his undergraduate degree in English.

"I feel that being a public law lawyer in county government, I could bring the right attitude of public service to the position. And with my experience here along with my law degree, there is a tremendous advantage for me over my opponent," he said.

At UH, Eckels served as president of Kappa Alpha and was a member of the Student Senate while Ryan was a member of the R.O.T.C. unit. Like most students at UH, both men held full-time jobs while they attended school. Eckels worked at an insurance agency, and Ryan worked as a waiter and loaded trucks.

Eckels, if elected, said he would change the way the local government operates, including becoming the central fuse in the city works department, the county, the sheriff, constables and other state resources, to coordinate the attack on crime.

Ryan sees the leader of the county government to also be a regional political leader in issues that face the county like trade, crime and county infrastructures, the same issues Eckels views as the most significant.

One of Eckels' main goals to accomplish is to merge the databases of the county health department, the city health department and the hospital district to allow easy access of patient health records.

"Once completed, the same thing can be done with the courts, the tax offices, the police office, and the county and state highway departments. The combining of these agencies would save unnecessary paperwork each agency now undertakes with each new case, thus saving the Harris County taxpayers money," he said.

Ryan, who holds a master's degree in Mexican Studies from Rice, said his major goal is to make Houston the capital of the trade industry under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

"(UH) is a tremendous asset to our community because of its diversity. I have worked very hard in the Legislature to do what I could for (UH) to make up for the (formula funding), which deeply hurt us. As county judge, I will have a legislative assistant in Austin and part of his responsibilities ... will be to work with the Board of Regents (at UH) ... to try to protect the (school) and encourage assisting UH in its studies," Eckels said.

Ryan, on the other hand, views UH's relationship with the community a bit differently. "To be a great community, city or county, we need to have a great public university, especially for an unusually modern city like ours," Ryan said.

"The key to me is to show that UH is a strong and healthy institution," Eckels said, adding that a majority of UH students work and attend school, and his goal is to make sure the Legislature does not penalize UH for serving this significant portion of the community.

STATE REP AT WORK, NOT ON SOAPBOX

by Jesse Saenz

933-9768

With elections right around the corner, many candidates are rushing to pick up the last remaining votes in their districts.

Diana Davila, state representative from District 145, on the other hand, is focusing on child-advocate bills and community awareness for the 73rd Texas Legislature. She can do this because she is running unopposed this term.

The newly created district, which is over 65 percent Hispanic, encompasses Interstate 45 South just southeast of the downtown area to the northern portions of South Houston and eastern portions of Pasadena.

"I feel like my constituents can relate to me, and they look to me to be their voice in Austin," said Davila, 28, an Austin High School graduate and longtime resident of the "Hispanic East End." She said serving as a representative gives her a chance to give back to the community.

Davila's office, located just off the Gulf Freeway, is open year-round to give assistance to anyone who needs it within her district. Help can range from information about the legislative aspects of certain discrimination clauses to the need for food or shelter.

An interest in children's issues and her service as a member of the Human Services and Urban Affairs committees led the Harvard graduate to work on the "Healthy Start, Healthy Families Bill."

The bill, which moved swiftly through the state House last session, targets at-risk families from the birth of the child to age 5. The bill provides additional support for families needing assistance. Houston City Council member Gracie Saenz endorsed Davila and her efforts to promote Hispanic youth.

"Her 'Healthy Start, Healthy Families Bill' has started pilot programs at LBJ and Ben Taub hospitals, and they are very successful," Saenz said. "Diana is a very professional and very well-educated young Hispanic woman. She provides a positive role for the youth in our community."

Davila said the decreasing amount of UH funding stems from state legislators not realizing the major role of schools in urban areas.

"Since UH is primarily a commuter school, there are many students who begin at a community college in their area, then they transfer to a university. That is why there should be a close partnership between the community college and the university," Saenz said.

Davila said UH's enrollment could be increased if high school counselors had more thorough training sessions. "They need to be able to look beyond the students' high school life and need to gear them toward higher education," she said.

Davila started volunteering at the age of 14 when she worked at the Ripley House community center teaching Spanish to the Houston Police Department in order to build a better bond between the community and the department.

Her commitment to education and volunteering of time to youth in her district won her the Houston Chronicle/Foley's Young Professional of the Year Award in 1991 and the YWCA Outstanding Hispanic Woman Award in 1992.

"Diana has always been there for my group. When we were located at the Ripley House center, Representative Roman Martinez put her in charge of helping us keep our United Way funds. When I ask her to attend one of our functions, she is always there giving her support to our youth," said Talento Bilingue de Houston youth organization Director Richard Reyes.

"Even now that she is in office, she continues to give firsthand assistance to our youth organization," Reyes adds.

Although Davila is unopposed, she is still aware of the low voter turnout within her district and throughout the entire city. She says the minority vote could be a deciding factor in many of the races.

"The candidates need to find a connection with the voter, and he or she needs to bring issues down to the voters' level. They need to show what consequences some of the bills may have on the voters," she said.

Davila said she tells the students she visits at area schools, "All of life's successes begin as dreams. Most youth have a lack of hope for their future, but we need to have a vision for the future because we hold the key to our own destiny, and we need to work hard to shape that into a positive one."

GREEN, EIDE POLLSTER OPPOSITES

by A. Nett

864-9420

Other than pursuing voters in the 29th congressional district, Republican Harold "Oilman" Eide and incumbent Democrat Gene Green have little in common.

Eide, a self-described conservative, believes in limited government involvement.

Green, a socially active politician, has been involved in the sponsorship of bills like the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Violence Against Women Act.

The 29th District is drawn to encompass a sprawling, largely urban area with extensions that reach south toward the Ship Channel and west to Spring Branch. The common denominator for these areas is a predominantly Hispanic population.

"(Eide's) push toward minorities has to do with getting good jobs for minorities," said Robert Crutchfield, Eide's press secretary.

He also said Eide will alleviate the oil industry's problems by proposing a $10 per barrel import fee on foreign oil. "Eide is all for free enterprise – it's just got to be fair," he added.

Green is on the House Education and Labor committee, which oversees all educational legislation. He is also on the sub-committee for secondary education, which successfully worked to change Chapter 1 formula funding for elementary and secondary public education.

"Send(ing) the money where the underprivileged children are," is how Moses Mercado, Green's chief of staff, described Green's goal for changing the funding.

"This is not a North/South issue – the money just needs to go to the children who need it," Mercado said, adding the result is that Texas public schools will receive an additional $30 million in federal money for the 1995-96 school year. HISD alone will benefit by $8 million, he said.

Green has supported legislation that gives Hispanics the first chance at certain grants for bilingual teacher programs, Mercado said. Such grants are utilized in the UH College of Education to aid in graduating more bilingual teachers.

Green received his BBA and JD degrees from UH. He and his wife are joint-life members of the Alumni Organization.

LOCAL LIBERTARIAN CANDIDATES EYE FOOTHOLD

by James V. Geluso

Besides the regular slate of Republicans and Democrats battling for election Tuesday, several Houston-area Libertarian Party candidates are campaigning for election to the state legislature.

Six local Libertarians are running for seats in the Texas House, three races of which pit the Libertarian candidate against only one opponent.

Almost all of the districts for which Libertarians are running are located in one area on the west side of Houston, from the West Loop to FM 1960, and from U.S. 290 to the Southwest Freeway, the one exception being the 129th District in Pasadena.

John Kormylo, chairman of the Harris County Libertarian Party, said he wasn't surprised by the fact that most of the candidates were in the same area. "We're primarily white male professionals, and that's where white male professionals live," he said.

Kormylo said he is hopeful about the three races in which the Libertarian candidate is one of only two people running for the seat. Although Harris County has never elected a Libertarian to any state office, these seats represent the best chance the party has had in years, he said.

These candidates include:

• Graham Bass, 58, who is running against Republican Gary Elkins in the 135th District, which runs along FM 1960 from U.S. 290 to the Katy Freeway. Bass wants to reduce the size of government until it has only one function: "the protection of individual rights," he says.

"We need to get the government out of schools, out of businesses and more into punishing criminals," he said. Bass said the reduction of government won't happen in his lifetime, but that he'd like to start the trend.

Bass said he would work to eliminate parole, pardons and furloughs for criminals, who he said should be placed into work camps out in the desert.

When asked about the issue of state funding for the University of Houston, he said he didn't know how he would vote until he saw the facts. "I'd have to look at how the money is being spent before I voted to increase it or withhold it," he said.

•Gary Moore, 49, who is running against Republican Beverly Wooley in the 136th District, a long, winding district on the west side. Both Moore and Wooley are alumni of UH.

Moore said UH is grossly underfunded when compared with the University of Texas and Texas A&M. Although he normally opposes increased spending, he said, "in this case, UH would be an exception."

Moore said he supports the elimination of the speed limit on controlled-access freeways, wants citizens to be allowed to carry concealed weapons and wants to "get rid of the bad drug laws."

"The general public often confuses the Libertarian Party with the term 'civil libertarian,' " he said. "We're not soft on crime. For example, I think caning would be a good punishment for vandalism."

•John Persakis, 70, who is running against incumbent Democrat Debra Danburg in the 137th District, which is mostly inside Loop 610, but extends outside the Loop along the Southwest Freeway. Persakis said his platform is "very much the Libertarian Party platform."

Persakis said he would push for a five-year mandatory jail term for the use of a firearm, even an empty one, to commit a crime, in addition to the sentence for committing the crime itself. He supports the Second Amendment very strongly, adding, "Have all the guns you want, as long as you do not hurt your fellow man with them."

Persakis said he is "totally against" funding cuts for UH. "This is a betrayal," he said. "The country belongs to the young people. Let them take over. Give them absolute freedom. They should not cut (university) funding at all."

Persakis said he doesn't think he'll win against six-term incumbent Danburg, but hopes she will lose some votes to him and will then see that crime is the most important issue. "She has done absolutely nothing about crime," he said. "She wants to improve Montrose and the freeway, but she'll do nothing about crime."

CAMPUS POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS TOW PARTY LINES, OFFER NO SURPRISES

UH activist groups weigh in

by Frank McGowan

Campus organizations at UH are endorsing candidates for Tuesday's election primarily on the basis of their political agendas.

Both the College Democrats and College Republicans tow their party lines.

Keith Peel, chairman of the College Republicans, said the conservative economic platform of the Republican Party and its commitment to higher education are the primary reasons to elect Republicans to office.

He contends that George W. Bush's support of higher education should be the main motivation for students to select him as governor.

"He has stated all along that he supports higher education and education as a whole and that his No. 1 priority is funding of education. George W. Bush has repeatedly said that he would fund higher education as his top priority," Peel said.

In the race for lieutenant governor, Peel admits H.J. "Tex" Lezar is being outspent by his opponent, Democratic incumbent Bob Bullock, but Peel is hopeful that the popularity of Bush and Hutchison will aid Lezar. He said he felt that if Republicans filled both offices, constituents could expect more cooperation between the two, which would help Bush achieve his goals for higher education.

On the federal level, the College Republicans champion challenger Jerry Burley for the 18th Congressional District vs. incumbent Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, and incumbent Kay Bailey Hutchison for U.S. senator over Democrat Richard Fisher.

He said Hutchison's record over the past year makes her deserving of re-election.

"She believes in a balanced budget amendment, cutting spending, cutting taxes and bringing down the deficit. These are the main economic reasons over her opponent, who supports Bill Clinton and his spending increases," Peel said.

In a tougher race, Burley would bring similar objectives to the House, Peel added.

Burley is an underfunded maverick in his race against Lee, Peel said. An African American conservative, Burley is in favor of welfare reform, cutting taxes, ending pork-barrel spending and is also in favor of a balanced budget amendment, Peel said.

"Sheila would be good, too, because of (Rep.) Lee's ties to UH, but Jerry's message of reform is something that is good for our future," Peel said.

As for reasons to vote for a Democratic ticket, Clarissa Peterson, president of the College Democrats, points to job security and higher education funding.

"One big concern of students is finding a job after they graduate. During the last three years that Ann Richards has been governor, Texas has led the nation in new jobs created," Peterson said.

"Richard Fisher wants to increase government investment in higher education, whereas his opponent wants to cut money to higher education to pay for crime programs. Richard Fisher believes that education is the best prevention. He will ensure changes in the student loan programs to increase young people's access to higher education," Peterson said, adding that her organization believes Rep. Lee and Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock will benefit higher education.

In the 18th Congressional District, the College Democrats believe Lee's affiliations with UH will continue to benefit the university.

"Bob Bullock has been an advocate for higher education since he was in the comptroller's office. Bob Bullock as lieutenant governor will make sure that when the Legislature is looking at cuts that they won't touch education," Peterson said.

Karen Kirk, vice president of the UH chapter of the National Organization for Women, said her organization throws its support to Richards for governor and Fisher for the U.S. Senate.

"We support Ann Richards because she appoints lots of women and because she is pro-choice," Kirk said.

She said UH-NOW backs candidates that address issues like family leave, women's rights, social programs, civil rights, lesbian rights and universal health care.

Two other UH organizations, Pan African People for Progressive Action and the Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Alliance, do not endorse individual candidates because of the diversity of their groups, but do look for politicians that speak to the concerns of their organization's members.

Ruben Cantu, president of GLOBAL, said the types of issues he would like to see addressed are benefits for same-sex partnerships, the repeal of Texas sodomy laws, employment discrimination legislation and a candidate that does not view homosexual rights as special rights.

Cantu said he personally endorses Richards because she has been an advocate of homosexual rights and is not afraid to acknowledge her supporters.

In the U.S. Senate race, Cantu said Fisher has at least courted the homosexual vote, while Hutchison's voting record on gay and lesbian rights legislation, as well as AIDS research funding, is less than stellar.

Henry Bell, president of PAPPA, said his organization would seek a candidate who supports African American issues like education, social programs like welfare, and civil rights.

SENATE RACE PRO-COLLEGE

by Gale Lunsford

The two U.S. Senate candidates for Texas may present opposing views, but Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Democrat Richard Fisher do hold similar positions on the issue of higher education.

Hutchison proposed and helped pass an amendment that will reduce the amount of Pell Grants given to prisoners. This amendment will allow approximately 100,000 additional low- to moderate-income students the opportunity to receive funding, as well as more money per grant, for the 1995-96 school year.

Even though Fisher agrees with Hutchison that financial aid should be available to everyone in need, he claims she is unfair to higher education.

"My opponent wants to pay for her immigration proposal by taking money away from higher education," Fisher said.

David Beckwith, a Hutchison campaign spokesperson, said the senator proposed a bill that would place a cap on overhead expenses incurred by federal research grants given to universities and labs. In order to fund the 1995 Illegal Immigration Control Act, Hutchison's proposal would charge more than 50 percent on overhead expenses, like administrative fees, paperwork or janitorial services.

According to Beckwith, "If a professor received a $200,000 federal grant, UH could not charge the federal government more than $100,000 in overhead expenses. Besides, if this bill passed, it would not affect Texas because no Texas universities charge more than 50 percent."

Both candidates agree that a growing economy is needed for more job creation. Hutchison wants a business environment in which college graduates can acquire an entry-level position in a prosperous industry. Fisher would like the regulatory environment to be more "user friendly."

Beckwith said the main difference between the Democratic and Republican approaches to health care is that the Republican plan would improve access to health care. He says the Democratic plan would build up bureaucracies to manage health care systems.

According to Floyd Robinson, interim director of the UH Health Center, "We (UH) try to make the cost of insurance affordable and ideal for students because they are the ones in need and who want health care."

Hutchison and Fisher support health care "portability," which would allow employees – with or without pre-existing medical conditions – to transfer their health insurance from job to job. Mary Ann Maher, UH's agent of records for student insurance, agrees with this concept.

"People should not be subject to a lack of insurance due to pre-existing conditions when they change jobs," Maher said.

Fisher and Beckwith both said that any health care reform would not result in any fundamental alterations to the UH health care system.

DISTRICT COURT CANDIDATES CLASH ON JUVENILE LAW

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

With several candidates, including Texas gubernatorial candidate George W. Bush Jr., supporting possible legislation to allow juveniles to be tried as adults at age 14, five candidates for district criminal court offered varied opinions.

The Juvenile Code presently states that juveniles ages 15 or 16 accused of any felony crime can be tried as adults.

Judge Ruben Guerrero of the 263rd District Criminal Court said, "There was a big cry about lowering the age to try juveniles as adults. I prefer automatic certification."

Automatic certification states, according to Guerrero, that if an underage juvenile commits a violent crime like murder, the officiating judge would have to certify the juvenile as an adult for trial purposes.

Rick Valadez from the Juvenile Probation Department explained that automatic certification is actually Determinant Sentencing, a compromise the Texas Legislature came to in 1991 when some politicians were pushing to lower the age juveniles could be tried as adults.

With Determinant Sentencing, juveniles ages 10 to 16 who are accused of one of six felony crimes – murder, capital murder, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, deadly assault of a police officer and attempted capital murder – would have their cases presented to the grand jury.

"If the grand jury indicts the individual, then the case would be referred to a Juvenile Court for trial. If the individual is found guilty, it's called adjudicated delinquent, then the judge can decide to sentence the juvenile up to 40 years confinement in the TYC (Texas Youth Corrections)," Valadez said.

Judge Carl Walker of the 185th District Criminal Court believes the current juvenile laws are sufficient, and did not support lowering the age to 14.

Walker added, "The problem is that there aren't enough compulsory schools to keep these kids from roaming the streets. They should be made to go to school until age 17, when they can be tried as adults."

In contrast, Judge Denise Collins of the 208th District Criminal Court supports lowering the age requirements. "For violent offenders, the age should be lowered to 14, but there should not be a blanket sweep of all 14-year-olds," she said.

Bob Burdette, 184th District Criminal Court Judge, cautioned going to extremes with new juvenile legislation. "We can't have 3-year-olds being tried as adults. The laws need to be flexible, but on the basis of the offense committed and the maturity of the child who commits it," Burdette said.

Judge Patricia Lykos of the 180th District Criminal Court said, "We need to rethink the whole concept of juvenile crime. It (juvenile crime) has become more violent, more serious and the consequences are more deadly for society."

Lykos would not comment on whether she would support legislation to lower the age to try juveniles as adults, adding, "Adult crimes deserve adult punishment. We don't have a juvenile system; it's a farce. Juveniles who commit crimes have no fear of any consequences."

Concerning giving the death penalty to juveniles tried as adults, the five district criminal court judges' opinions varied little.

Lykos, Walker and Guerrero agreed that 17 was the appropriate age.

"The law says you cannot execute juveniles under age 17," Collins said. "If the laws were changed in some cases, where offenders commit violent crimes, it could be used. But it would have to be used with caution."

Burdette, however, said, "I'm opposed to executing juveniles as long as the system regarding parolees remains, where they only have to serve 50 percent of the time they're given. If the parole laws change, then my opinion may change."

The 180th, 184th, 185th, 208th, and 263rd District Criminal Courts are five of the 22 district courts in Harris County that handle felony cases.

COUGARS FLY HIGH AGAINST OKLAHOMA, KENTUCKY

by Chris Peña

The Houston Cougar volleyball team warmed up for the upcoming Southwest Conference tournament by sweeping aside nonconference opponents Oklahoma and Kentucky over the weekend.

The Cougars (20-3) did not lose a single game on their way to extending their school record for consecutive victories to 17 matches. The Cougars broke the record Friday when they defeated the Sooners.

Friday, the Cougars sent the Oklahoma Sooners (12-13) back to Norman as they won handily the match by scores of 15-13, 15-2 and 15-8.

The Sooners came out strong in the first game and took an early lead, but the Cougars came back to score seven points in a row and win the opening set.

In the second game, the Cougars took a commanding 11-0 lead to bury any chances of a Sooner comeback.

Senior hitter Lilly Denoon-Chester led the Cougars on the night with 15 assists, three digs and three block assists.

Sophomore hitter Marie Claude-Tourillon, who is among SWC leaders in blocks, continued to play well at the net, contributing two solo blocks and three block assists.

In the Oklahoma game, the Cougars also unveiled new uniforms. With superstition running rampant in the world of sports, it seemed odd for the Cougars to break out new uniforms with a school-record-tying 15-match winning streak on the line. Cougar head coach Bill Walton said he likes the new attire.

"I'm only superstitious about what I do," he said. "Besides, these look nice, and we like to look nice; therefore, we're wearing what we look nice in."

After the uniforms got their first wash, the Cougars had to face the Kentucky Wildcats Sunday during Senior Day at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Last year, the Wildcats were a top 10 team, but this year's squad has stumbled to a 10-16 record.

Once again, the Cougars had trouble in the first game.

Kentucky came out smoking, thanks to hitter Mara Eglitis, who had seven kills in the first game, finishing with 15 for the match.

But the Cougars were not to be denied.

Led by Denoon-Chester (10 kills in the first game), they fought back to win the game 15-12. The Cougars ended up winning the match by scores of 15-12, 15-7 and 15-11.

Tourillon's block was impenetrable. She finished the match with three solo blocks and seven block assists.

The Cougars played superb defense, and fittingly, senior hitter Carla Maul, who leads the SWC in digs, finished the match with a team-leading 19 in the category.

Walton said it was important for the team to play well on a game that was played on a late Sunday afternoon.

"We need to get used to playing in these conditions," he said. "The conference tournament and the NCAAs are played in similar conditions."

<I>MST 3000<P> TO CHEESE UP UH

by Rosario Peña

Comedy Central, the all-comedy network, will bring its "Fresh Cheese – Fall 1994 <I>Mystery Science Theater 3000<P> College Screening Tour" to UH tonight.

This tour of the Peabody Award-winning <I>Mystery Science Theater 3000<P> offers students a free preview of <I>Zombie Nightmare<P>, which stars Adam West of TV's <I>Batman<P> and Tia Carrere of <I>Wayne's World<P>.

<I>MST 3000<P> makes fun of some of the worst movies ever to come out of Hollywood. <I>Zombie Nightmare<P> is a 1986 Hollywood bomb about a murdered teenager who slaughters his punk-teen assailants after being revived by a voodoo queen.

There will be two screenings in the UC Houston Room at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Admission is free with a student I.D., and the first 50 arrivals will receive a free "Fresh Cheese" T-shirt.