FEMINISTS TO DISCUSS ALLEGATIONS OF ELITISM IN MOVEMENT'S RANKS

by A. Nett

Many minority women feel excluded from traditional feminism because they feel it does not address issues important to their communities, one local feminist said.

"Typically, discussions of feminism are academic and led by white, upper-class women," said Amy Maldonado, event organizer and treasurer for the UH chapter of the National Organization for Women. "These women (the panelists) are multicultural and are community activists."

"Cultural Diversity in Feminism," the topic for a panel of local feminists in an open, group-format discussion, will be held today at 5 p.m. in the University Center's Caribbean Room.

The panelists will address issues that affect minority women and how those issues are part of the feminist movement, Maldonado said.

Panelist Lorna Dee Cervantes, a visiting scholar to UH's Mexican American Studies program, said she does not want to see feminists splintered into many separate racial factions.

"Be cautious of using labels – it really defeats the purpose," Cervantes said. "To me, culture is not a thing; it's a matter of human experiences.

" 'Women of color' – I prefer the term 'people of experience,' " Cervantes said, adding that when one group of people is singled out, it becomes a stereotype and a target for what they supposedly represent.

Another panelist, Hitaji Aziz, diversity consultant and host of the <I>Houston Dialogue<P> radio show on KPFT, said she wants women of different backgrounds to understand one another's experiences and issues better without allowing the differences to divide them.

"The position we have to take is to always have an open door for all women cutting across race, and to achieve a concept of wholeness. Every woman has to have a chance to reach her fullest potential," Aziz said.

Feminists need to work on broadening their discussion to include women who are outside of academic circles and who are of lower socioeconomic status, she added.

"I hope that we realize that there are a whole group of women who never attend these meetings: poor, white women – poor women in general who are the invisible minority. I try to connect with women who don't have a voice," Aziz said.

"We are women of color, but we still are the elite. How are we dialoguing with other types of women? I'm trying to stay aware of how to dialogue with women out on the street," she added.

Panelists will also address the perception that feminism is somehow at odds with traditional women's roles, Maldonado said.

"Somehow, being a feminist has been a bad word. Many strong women do not call themselves 'feminists,' " she said. "More women are realizing they are feminists who did not realize it in the past.

"Part of the feminist movement has been about getting women who work in the home valued for what they do – getting it recognized as work," Maldonado added.

Other panelists include: Cynthia Freeland, director of Women's Studies at UH; Glenda Joe, owner of Great Wall Enterprises; Fahmi Khan, artist and social worker; Rolanda Teal, director of the Houston Institute for the Protection of Youth; and Native American activist Jacqueline Batiste.

The event is part of UH's Diversity Month and is sponsored by UH-NOW and the Council of Ethnic Organizations.

*******************************************************

NEW CONFERENCE ADDS THREE SCHOOLS

University of Houston President James H. Pickering met with the presidents of nine other schools Sunday in Atlanta to further discuss the new conference situation.

The universities of Louisville, Tulane, Cincinnati, Memphis and Southern Mississippi had already agreed to form a new conference to begin playing football in 1996. On Sunday, this group extended an invitation to the universities of St. Louis, Marquette, DePaul and the University of Alabama-Birmingham to play basketball, but not football.

"Nine of the 10 agreed to participate," Pickering said Sunday night, back in Houston.

DePaul was the only school that did not agree to join during the meeting, but Pickering said the school would reach a decision mid-week on whether or not to join. He did not say why DePaul President Rev. John T. Richardson decided to delay a decision.

Despite the lack of commitment by DePaul, Pickering said he was pleased with the meeting.

"I didn't know who would show up at today's meeting," he said. "I think we made pretty good progress today."

That progress included more than extending invitations to the four other schools.

The group of presidents elected Memphis President V. Lance Rawlins chairman of the presidents group and Southern Mississippi President Aubrey K. Lucas as vice chairman.

The presidents also elected a five-person committee, which includes Pickering, to search for a conference commissioner. Marquette President Rev. Albert J. DiUlio will chair the committee.

The presidents also decided to ask their athletic directors to research and advise the group on such topics as team alignments (whether to have a 10-team alignment or two five-team divisions) and how many conference basketball games the new league will play.

The schools will play each team once during the football season, leaving room for six nonconference games, something Pickering said he sees as a chance to schedule several nationally ranked teams.

Pickering said the ADs will also work with College Football Association President Chuck Nemias to secure a television package and choose a public relations firm. One duty of the firm will be to formulate a name for the new conference, Pickering said.

One of the other questions that still needs to be answered, besides what to call themselves, is when they'll start playing basketball.

"Theoretically, the Southwest Conference has another year-and-a-half to go," Pickering said.

He also said he has not been in recent contact with the other SWC schools to inform them of the situation.

"I did not go to the Southwest Conference meeting last week," Pickering said. "But they're certainly aware of what's going on here."

The Big 12, where Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech are headed, has not set schedules for the 1996 season, the first year the expanded conference will play football. There has also been discussion in the Big 12 about beginning other sports earlier than ’96.

Rice, Southern Methodist and Texas Christian will begin playing football in the Western Athletic Conference in ’96 and have already set schedules to include the additional schools.

Before any UH decisions are official, they must be approved by the Board of Regents, which does not meet again this semester. Pickering said the group of presidents, which has now met three times, will try to meet again at the NCAA meeting in January.

PEACE CORPS COMES TO UH, RECEIVES 40 APPLICATIONS

by Jennifer Smith

Recent recruitment attempts by the Peace Corps at UH garnered about 40 applications, said James Wilterding, local recruiter.

Of these, he said, about one-third will be approved. The visiting Peace Corps recruiters were on campus Oct. 27-28.

The basic requirements of the Peace Corps are that the applicant be over 18, have a bachelor's degree and/or have extensive experience in a skilled trade, business or farming. There are also physical requirements.

The applicants will undergo an interview process that selects on the basis of either having valued skills or having demonstrated overall sympathy or interest in overseas work.

The normal tour of duty for a Peace Corps volunteer is two years, during which time the volunteer will be paid $200 a month. However, all medical, dental and living expenses are paid.

Other benefits include noncompetitive eligibility for federal jobs, partial forgiveness of Perkins loans and eligibility for graduate scholarships offered to returning volunteers. Organizers said Peace Corps members also gain valuable overseas work experience that provides an edge when applying for jobs.

The Corps is serving Third World countries in Africa as well as Central America and Pacific and Caribbean island nations.

What the volunteer may be called on to do varies. He or she may teach English (currently the skill most in demand by the Corps), computer science or business management or may be involved in agriculture, forestry or nursing, among many other skills in demand.

Assignments are made with an eye to the skills of the volunteer.

The Peace Corps currently has 6500 volunteers serving in more than 90 countries.

The average age of a volunteer is 30; the oldest volunteer is 81. Forty-eight percent of volunteers are male; 52 percent are female. Seven percent of volunteers are married and serving together.

LONGHORNS ROCK COUGARS

Brown passes for 320 yards, Houston nets 295

AUSTIN – James Brown played at Texas' Memorial Stadium Saturday, and he had most of the fans in attendance jumping and stomping to the beat while cheering for more.

Mind you, while the "Godfather of Soul" himself did not actually make an appearance, Texas Longhorn quarterback James Brown proved to be a suitable stand-in, nonetheless.

The freshman passer from Beaumont strung up the Houston Cougar defense as he completed 22-of-27 passes for 320 yards and four touchdowns in leading the Horns to a 48-13 Southwest Conference victory before 56,654.

"I wanted to come into this game and take control early," said Brown, who was subbing for injured starter Shea Morenz. "We didn't want it to be another Rice game (a 19-17 UT loss), where we should've won, but didn't."

The 320 yards passing for Brown was the fourth most prolific passing day in UT history while his four touchdown tosses tied another school record. Texas built up a 41-0 lead going into the final period.

"We did not get enough pressure on the quarterback," Houston coach Kim Helton said.

This was not an easy gig for the Cougars (1-8 overall, 1-4 in the SWC) as they found it difficult to establish any type of consistent rhythm on offense, and they couldn't keep up with Texas' (6-4, 3-3) key changes on defense.

Houston's offense did not enter Texas territory until the 1:22 mark of the third quarter.

On the afternoon, the Cougars generated 295 yards of passing offense, but almost half (137) of the combined production came in the fourth quarter alone.

Houston kickoff returner Michael Smith seemed to be the only Cougar who was able to carry a tune Saturday as the freshman ran back four kicks for 93 yards (23.3 yards per carry).

Starting quarterback Chad O'Shea found his arm to be out of tune, completing just six of 12 for 69 yards and two interceptions. O'Shea was so off-key, he was replaced by Clay Helton after only two series in the first quarter.

Houston's scoring offense came courtesy of two Jermaine Williams rushing touchdowns.

"(Coach) Helton did the right thing in using all his timeouts when the game was out of reach, so that his players could get something out of the game," Texas coach John Mackovic said.

VOLLEYBALL TEAM STARTS NEW STREAK WITH TWO VICTORIES

by Chris Peña

So much for a losing streak. The Houston Cougar volleyball team bounced back from last Wednesday's loss to Texas A&M by thoroughly whipping nonconference rivals Lamar and Louisiana Tech in straight games at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Saturday, the Cougars (22-4) roasted the 10-15 Cardinals in a yawner. Houston hit and blocked better to prevail by scores of 15-7, 15-7 and 15-1.

Senior hitter Lilly Denoon-Chester led the Cougars with eight kills in limited play. Denoon-Chester was substituted early and often in the Lamar game. Houston head coach Bill Walton said Denoon-Chester is still suffering from a stomach flu, and that it was better for her to play less.

Sunday, the Cougars blew away the Techsters (25-12) by scores of 15-10, 15-0 and 15-7.

In the second game, the Cougars' first shutout of the season, sophomore setter Sami Sawyer ran off two service aces in a row as she helped the team steamroll the Techsters.

Denoon-Chester hit an unheard-of .667 against Louisiana Tech, leading both teams with 11 kills.

Senior defensive specialist Heidi Sticksel, who made her first start of the season, led the Cougars with nine kills.

The Cougars must now prepare for the SWC Tournament, which starts Friday at Rice's Autry Court.

Houston doesn't play its first tournament match until Saturday at 7:30 p.m. against Baylor or Texas Tech. If the Cougars win Saturday, they are scheduled to play Sunday at 2 p.m. in a match to be televised by HSE.

Sticksel said the team will be prepared to play next week.

"It doesn't really matter who we play," she said. "What we need to do is take care of our side of the ball, and everything will be all right."

Sticksel said the team was down after the loss to A&M. "We were pretty bummed out. It was awful to lose, but it was also good because it woke us."

After the SWC tourney, the Cougars play two ranked teams, Santa Barbara and Long Beach State in California. They then wait for the start of the NCAA Tournament, where they might host a first-round regional at Hofheinz.

POLITICAL HIP-HOP ICONS BACK

In the space of two years, hip-hop has changed tremendously. Two political rap performers, who helped usher in the hip-hop of today, are back with incisive new releases and new images.

Flash back to 1992. Two of the most controversial and certainly talked-about artists of the time were Public Enemy and Paris.

Paris, the self-proclaimed "Black Panther of hip-hop," had just completed a war over his record, <I>Sleeping With the Enemy<P>, that forced two labels, Def American and Tommy Boy, and two distributors, Time Warner and PolyGram, to reject it over content. Songs like the anti-prez "Bush Killa" and anti-pig "Coffee, Doughnuts and Death" put Paris in the cross hairs.

Meanwhile, PE, already hip-hop legends who had inspired acts like Paris and Arrested Development, was defending its release, <I>Apocalypse '91: The Enemy Strikes Black<P>, the follow-up to the equally controversial <I>Fear of A Black Planet<P>.

Chuck D appeared on <I>Nightline<P>, defending the song, "By the Time I Get to Arizona," the video of which featured murderous fantasies involving racist legislators. He was also answering to charges of anti-Semitism that have dogged the band since its start.

Switch back to 1994. It has been two years since either PE or Paris released a full-length record. While both take radically different routes, both remain unflinching artists.

Public Enemy's new recording is called <I>Muse Sick N Hour Mess Age<P>, and it is the year's most adventurous release from the hip-hop world. While <I>Muse Sick<P> is hard to classify, it dredges up the moodier side of the pensive <I>Planet<P> while looking to the semi-spiritual musings of progressive hip-hoppers like Pharcyde and Arrested Development. Clocking in at nearly 75 minutes with 21 tracks, it's also PE's most musically immense release to date.

Meanwhile, Paris comes back around the same time with a new record. Never an artist for understatement, Paris is much less subtle on his newest, <I>Guerrilla Funk<P>. But if you are not paying attention, you might just miss it.

PE's greatest virtue is perhaps its ability to come from nowhere, bringing a sound you have never experienced. Such unpredictability is what happened with songs like "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" and "Don't Believe the Hype" from <I>It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back<P> or "Welcome to the Terrordome" from <I>Planet<P> or even "Shut 'Em Down" from <I>Apocalypse<P>. What makes music from those records so foreign to <I>Muse Sick<P> is the latter's total dissimilarity from the previous work.

Just when you think you know what PE sounds like, Chuck and company deck you with something they've never done before. <I>Muse Sick<P> is dissonant and caustic, pounding you from all directions not with g-funk beats, but with sophisticated rhythms, complex loops and completely different lyrics. In short, if you thought PE fell off, think again.

Paris comes from an equally unusual position. A former DJ, he is known for a sort of preachy style of hip-hop inspired by PE, but on <I>Guerrilla Funk<P>, his music has changed considerably.

This change is probably the most noticeable difference between the two artists. Always a thoughtful songwriter, Chuck D does not follow the music trends the way Paris has. The message overtakes the music at numerous points, whereas with Paris, the music is up on what is happening in hip-hop right now.

The often hardcore radical lyrics are wrapped in arrangements and beats so danceable, you might hear them sometime on your favorite station between Tag Team and Coolio.

"Bring It To Ya," with its high-pitched siren and down-low bassline, sounds deceptively like gin-and-juice freewheeling sounds until you figure out that Paris is rapping: "Some say 'Cop Killer' music might incite/but cops whoop on niggas every single night/So tell me who's to blame for the hate that hate produced?/I'm better off dead than with you/Fuck Amerika."

Furthermore, what makes <I>Guerilla Funk<P> a stronger record is Paris' skill as a producer. After helping out his protégés, the Conscious Daughters, on that group's debut, Paris applies those abilities to <I>Guerrilla Funk<P>. The edges here are crisp, and the music is thoroughly contemporary. He delivers his perspective in a way new hip-hop fans can accept, but doesn't distance himself from his old followers.

One of <I>Muse Sick<P>'s flaws is its adventurousness. It borders on sounding alternative. Chuck D has been quoted as saying this may be PE's last record. While <I>Muse Sick<P> is good, it is hardly as strong a release as PE's previous work.

<I>Guerrilla Funk<P> is one of those hip-hop records to take seriously no matter how good it sounds. <I>Muse Sick<P>, while interesting, lacks the punch of past Public Enemy efforts. For the genre, these are new times, and the artists are changing as well. For Paris, the changes are positive, but for PE, it is wait-and-see.