ENTERPRISING GRAD TREKS ON

by Jennifer Smith

Reema Barkley helped to start two businesses in the past and has recently started another. This is quite a track record, especially for someone who graduated from UH in December.

While she was attending college, Barkley was enrolled in the first part of the UH Entrepreneurship Program course sequence. Though she didn't quite make it into the exclusive program, Barkley said she benefitted from the introductory entrepreneur course.

"It gives you a mindset that gets you going," Barkley said. She said it "stimulates your thinking and creativity."

Through the program, she met Bill Rogers, president of the World Entrepreneur Society. Barkley currently does coordinating work for the society and is still heavily involved with the work of forming new chapters in different places around the globe.

WES helps individual entrepreneurs by helping them to network in their regions.

Barkley said she has wanted to own her own company since she was 11. Though she had no specific type of company in mind, she's always been interested in starting new businesses.

She began her first business in partnership with another woman as a senior in college. The company was called Ting Enterprises. The next company, which she started shortly thereafter, is called Inventor's Toys. It helps out inventors looking to market their toys.

The one she is heavily involved in is called MUTS. The company acts as a partner to new businesses.

"Instead of an individual with a business idea going to seek partnership with their best friend, who may or may not have business know-how," said Barkley, "they can seek a partnership with (a) company with the necessary contacts and expertise needed that is able to help with the 'grunge' work."

MUTS is not a consulting firm, but acts as a partner with another party, doing whatever it takes to get a company off the ground and making a profit.

"Basically, an individual that seeks our assistance (will) get their company up and running properly with less failure rate and in less time (than) if they did it themselves," Barkley said.

MUTS has four clients currently and several others pending.

*******************************************************

UHPD ARRESTS SEVEN IN CASES OF ATTEMPTED AUTO THEFT, BURGLARY

UHPD made seven arrests in separate incidents of attempted vehicle theft and burglary this week.

The arrests began Monday at 7:56 p.m., when UHPD Officer Michael Matela observed two "suspicious-acting" people near the hedge row located in Lot 1A.

"I saw four guys drive up in a white Mazda 626 and park. Two of them hopped out and pulled something from their trunk and began looking around before approaching an already parked vehicle next to them," Matela said.

Matela said he radioed for another unit to investigate the situation. When the other officers arrived on the scene, two of the suspects were inside a parked Toyota Camry.

The UHPD officers ordered the two suspects to halt, at which time they fled across Calhoun and still have not been apprehended. The other two men drove from their original spot to another one in Lot 1A.

"The other two suspects got out of their car and started walking toward Moody Towers when they were detained on the ramp leading to the dorms," Matela said.

UHPD Sgt. Rita Bazile detained the two suspects until the supervising officer arrived on the scene. After UHPD inspected the Camry, they found the door locks had been punched open with an unknown tool, and the steering column had been smashed.

"After we inspected the car, we found two screwdrivers and a small rock inside, which did not belong to the owner. We (UHPD) then decided to arrest the suspects and present the evidence to the DA's office," UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said.

The district attorney accepted UHPD's evidence and pressed charges against Bao Pham and a juvenile with him for burglary of a motor vehicle, a Class A misdemeanor.

Durant said the juvenile confessed to police and a local magistrate that the group came to campus to steal cars.

Lot 1A was again the scene for arrests on Wednesday morning when UHPD Officer Martha Gonzalez observed a group of five males "acting suspiciously."

Durant said Gonzalez witnessed two of the suspects walking by a Toyota Camry, then look around, as one of them ducked down out of sight.

Gonzalez radioed dispatch for assistance, and when UHPD officers arrived on the scene, the two suspects had gone back to join their three companions.

UHPD officers stopped the car as it was attempting to leave the parking lot, and after a routine search, found the stereo of the Camry with the five suspects.

Binh Than Ho, Huy Van Nguyen, Quang Xuan Tran and two juveniles, one a runaway from Dallas, were arrested and charged with Class A misdemeanor burglary of a motor vehicle.

"We (UHPD) do feel the incidents are related because of the pattern of using screwdrivers to gain access to the vehicles.

"We have also found that Asian perpetrators tend to gravitate toward foreign cars and since the suspects were Asian, and the cars burglarized are foreign, we feel there is a connection," Durant said.

Another isolated incident of vehicle burglary occurred Wednesday in Lot 9C when UHPD received a complaint that the driver's side window of a Nissan pickup truck was smashed. No items were taken from the car.

If the suspects are convicted of the alleged incidents, they could face up to one year in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $4,000.

FACULTY DECLINE VOTE ON CENSURE OF PICKERING

In a surprise move, the Faculty Senate decided Wednesday to neither approve or disapprove a resolution calling for censure of UH President James H. Pickering.

Instead, the Senate approved a substitute resolution calling for the appointment of an ad hoc committee to work with the president to hopefully ease the conflict between the administration and the faculty over the future of UH and the UH System.

No one was more surprised than Senator Robert Palmer, a Cullen professor of history and law and the author of the censure resolution.

"It was totally unexpected. If anything, I expected a motion to table the vote," Palmer said. "Apparently, the Faculty Senate is not yet willing to take a firm stand. This committee is not going to accomplish anything."

After the initial introduction of the proposed resolution by Palmer, the Senate debated the merits of the issue. The debate was emotional and reflective of the division among Senate members over the future of UH.

Palmer, who has made his feelings well known in previous Senate meetings and in the press over the past few months, called for Senate members to accept the challenge, pass the resolution and send a firm message of no-confidence to Pickering.

"This censure resolution is no longer about (Harrell) Rodgers (former dean of the College of Social Sciences who was fired in August). It is about the kind of administration we will have at this university," Palmer said. "The firing of Rodgers sent a clear message to the other deans. The deans now will not speak. Pickering's willingness to isolate, undermine or fire our advocates in the administration is going to depend on our willingness to stand firm. We cannot wait until he fires the next person."

Senator Kent Tedin, professor of political science, seconded the motion to approve the censure resolution. He questioned whether Pickering's loyalties are to the UH main campus or to the UH System and Chancellor Alexander Schilt.

Senator George Reiter, professor of physics, spoke in opposition to the censure resolution. He suggested that Rodgers' activist position on campus contributed to his firing.

"Harrell is on record, if the press has quoted him correctly, as saying that Jim's judgment was so poor that he could no longer support him as president. He was active in trying to get Jim fired. He was active in soliciting allies in that mission," Reiter said. "It strikes me that it is not completely unreasonable for a president, in that situation, to call for the firing of a dean who was doing that kind of thing."

After extended debate, featuring opinions from both pro- and anti-censure senators, the surprise substitute resolution was proposed by Senator Barry Wood, associate professor of English.

Wood said that after talking to most of the faculty of the English Department, he could find no support for the censure resolution.

"Of all the people I met with, I could find no sentiment, whatsoever, for censure of the president," Wood said. "In regard to the vice president not being involved in it (naming of a new dean of Social Sciences), we saw that as, basically, our president taking responsibility for his actions, not shying away from it."

Wood objected to some of Palmer's arguments for censure. One was Palmer's assertion that former Provost Glenn Aumann was "unsympathetic to the research mission of the university." Wood said this was not true.

Wood's major objection was on the subject of censure. He said passage of a censure resolution would not solve the problem and would only place more roadblocks in the path of resolution of the on-going friction between the administration and the faculty.

Citing that passage of the censure motion would "mark the end of the process" instead of a beginning, Wood offered a substitute resolution that would create an ad hoc committee made up of seven former Faculty Senate presidents.

The motion to substitute Wood's resolution for Palmer's passed by a vote of 24-20. The subsequent vote to approve the substitute resolution passed by a margin of one vote, 18-17, with Reiter abstaining.

'OPEN MIKE' ELICITS IRE ON PARKING, ATHLETICS

by Stephen Stelmak

The Student Program Board brought back "Open Mike" to the Satellite Wednesday. Students were able to voice their opinions on any topic concerning what was wrong or right about UH.

Parking was the hottest topic. Students complained about the amount of stickers sold and the lack of parking because of it.

School spirit was also a popular topic. Many students voiced concern about lack of spirit exhibited by UH students in general. A point was raised about this alleged deficit transferring into the business community's perception of UH. Students also complained about lack of attendance at sporting events and people wearing other universities' T-shirts on campus.

The new sports complex was also brought up. An opinion that the money used to build the complex could have been used for a parking garage was countered with the point that the money was given to UH for the purpose of building the complex. The money was donated from an alumnus, John Moores, implying the university's lack of control over where the funds are allocated.

The residence halls were criticized for broken elevators and the price of food. The lack of a Perpetual Park Party was also lamented

The Speaker's Forum, a branch of SPB that sponsors "Open Mike," invites students who would like to discuss any topic of interest to call Lynh Doan in the SPB office at 743-5210 to set up the next forum.

BAYOU BUCKET BEGINS EARLY WITH CAJUN COOKIN'

The battle for the Bayou Bucket got off to a feisty and early start Wednesday night at Landry's, located at Fondren and Westheimer, when Houston head coach Kim Helton and Rice head coach Ken Hatfield took friendly jibes at one another.

The dinner, hosted by the Bayou Bucket Classic title sponsor Comerica Bank-Texas, was also a chance for the universities to announce, along with Comerica, their commitment to education.

"Our objective is to get thousands of students, from elementary, middle and high schools, involved in a fun college event," said Tom Daniels, president of Comerica. "We hope this will trigger them to continue their education."

Almost 3,500 students will attend the Nov. 26 game against Rice, which will be held in the Astrodome. Kickoff has been changed to noon to accommodate television.

The ribbing began when Hatfield, in his first year at Rice, was told of a new tradition that would allow the home team to win the bucket. Rice defeated Houston 37-7 last year at Rice Stadium. That was the first time Rice had won the Bucket since 1986. Houston leads the all-time series 18-5.

The jokes continued when Hatfield took the podium and talked of the days he, Helton and UH athletic director Bill Carr were all on staff at Florida (Carr and Helton's alma mater) and asked them if they ever graduated.

When it was Helton's turn to speak, he said that when someone graduates from Florida, they hang their diploma on the wall. At Arkansas (Hatfield's alma mater), the graduates did something else with it. Helton would not speculate on what that might be.

When the laughs were over, though, both coaches had good things to say about the other's program.

Hatfield complimented Helton, Carr and UH President James H. Pickering's commitment to building a new football program dedicated to "doing things right."

Helton could not say enough about this year's success of the Owls. He especially complimented their victory over Texas, their first in 28 years, Oct. 15.

The battle for the Bucket began in 1974 when Fred Curry, a Rice alumnus and president of the Touchdown club, decided to try and build a rivalry between the two crosstown schools.

That summer, the Currys, who were present at the dinner Wednesday night, were on vacation in New Braunfels and saw a beat-up bronze bucket that Curry purchased for $60.

After taking the bucket to a trophy shop and investing another $250, the Bayou Bucket was born.

This will be the last time the Owls and Cougars will meet in the Astrodome for an unspecified amount of time as the two teams have not scheduled any games after the Southwest Conference breaks up in 1996.

Staff writers Daniel Scholl and Chris Peña contributed to this report.

<I>A Tuna Christmas<P>, a comic play featuring the hysterical duo of Joe Sears and Jaston Williams, will be performed through Sunday at the Wortham Center.

This uproariously funny comedy stars two men who, between them, play 22 characters. Playing parts ranging from Vera Carp, who struts around in pink chiffon, to Bertha Bumiller, a larger woman clad in red and green, who has an alcoholic husband, they keep the audience in hysterics.

The play begins in the mythical town of Tuna, the third-smallest town in Texas, on Christmas Eve. Thurston and Arles, the only two DJs in town, are broadcasting for their small-town radio station, OKKK, where they announce the town contest for the best yard decorations, mentioning all of the top contenders.

Next, the audience is taken to the Bumiller home, where Sears plays Bertha, the dysfunctional mother. Williams, a master of quick change, plays Jody. Charlene is the temperamental daughter. Stanley, Charlene's twin brother, has just been released from reform school and is out on probation.

The scene that follows shows Didi at her used-weapons shop attempting to find a reliable weapon for Aunt Pearl to kill bluejays with in her yard. Aunt Pearl returns home and is unable to hit a single bluejay with the slingshot she has just bought.

Later, they discuss destroying Vera's yard so she will not win the yard contest for the 15th year in a row. They admit they are the phantom ravaging through the small town.

The second act begins in the Tuna High School Gymnasium as Helen and Inita receive the best-yard display trophy. The two make their speech, then head over to the Taste of Kreme, where both are employed as waitresses. They demonstrate their comic antics by blow-drying the undefrosted hamburger meat and making fun of their midget customers.

<I>A Tuna Christmas<P> will keep you laughing for hours. If you have been waiting for a side-splitting comedy to come your way, this is the one. This two-and-a-half-hour performance provides a wildly diverse look at the dilemmas of a small town in this returning hit comedy.

<I>A Tuna Christmas<P> will run tonight and Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Wortham Center. Tickets range from $23-$30 and are available at all Ticketmaster outlets. They can be charged by phone by calling 629-3700.

ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD AGAIN

by Stephen Stelmak

<I>Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead<P> is a play for people who like the theater.

If good costumes, decent-to-good acting and a behind-the-scenes look at minor characters in <I>Hamlet<P> sound like a night on the town to you, then see this play by the UH School of Theater.

Rosencrantz, played by James Parsons, and Guildenstern, played by Matthew Carter, are sent for to watch over and comfort the depressed and unstable Hamlet. On their journey to the castle, they have long, hard-to-follow discussions about everything.

The quick and incessant banter is an excellent display of training and memorization. Often, the conversation between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is interesting and entertaining, moving the play at a nice pace. However, sometimes it seems like the actors are in two separate plays, talking to themselves and the audience in an uninterpretable babble.

On their way to Elsinore, where Hamlet lives, they meet a group of actors who are supposed to be funny. The actors lack energy, and everything they do seems to have been planned.

During lulls like these, watch Guildenstern. His quick and energetic movements are entertaining. Watch for other plays starring Matthew Carter.

Act II is a behind-the-scenes view of gossip and interaction between characters at Hamlet's castle. Here is the highlight of the play, Hamlet himself. Played by Darrell Womack, Hamlet is a minor character in <I>Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead<P>. The portrayal of the volatile and overreacting Hamlet livens the stage and all those on it.

Unfortunately, in a horrible plot twist, the actors Rosencrantz and Guildenstern saw on the road to the castle are the same actors who will play before the king. Back once again to irritate the audience, they are unamusing and dry. The only time they seem to do well is when they are rehearsing for the play they will perform for the king. Perhaps it is the novelty of having a play, within a play, within a play that lets these characters shine through in their ineptitude, making them funny at last.

In Act III, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern resign themselves to fate. This is always an irritating defeat of the human spirit. Luckily, the play doesn't end this way.

John Gow did an excellent job with the lighting, drawing the audience into many scenes and focusing attention on the actors. The sets were simple, and the costumes were great, emphasizing the characters' personalities.

If you are familiar with Hamlet and liked the play, <I>Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead<P> is an interesting extension.

CORROSION OF CONFORMITY DELIVERS GOOD METAL

by Chris Stelmak

Corrosion of Conformity's latest release – <I>Deliverance<P>, on Columbia – is one of the best metal albums released in a while. Its hard and heavy style has progressed greatly after many years of practicing and touring. This latest effort goes beyond any of its previous releases.

The members of Corrosion of Conformity are Pepper Keenan on vocals and guitars, Woody Weatherman on guitar, Mike Dean on bass and Reed Mullin on drums and backup vocals.

The rhythms vary from song to song. Most of the tracks are hard and heavy with deep guitars like in "Heaven's Not Overflowing" and "Broken Man." However, "Without Wings" and "Shelter" add to the album with their soft, slow guitar melodies.

The vocals match the music well. Whether the song is soft or heavy, frontman Keenan adds to the rhythms well with his heavy metal lyrics. His heavy voice sounds as if it is even synthesized in a few songs.

This band has come a long way from its previous albums, which had a very local sound. Most of its songs sound similar to its heavy, hard-to-understand lyrics and very heavy, basic rhythms. Since then, Corrosion of Conformity has lightened up its style a little. Its heavy songs are not quite as heavy, and it has added in instrumentals and slow songs. The band has improved immensely from its past performances.

With its heavy metal rhythms and light, smooth guitar instrumentals, expect to see C.O.C. rising in the charts. Whether you like to watch or mosh at a concert, Corrosion of Conformity will put on a promising concert either way.

Corrosion of Conformity will be playing tonight at the Abyss with Eye Hate God and Ground Zero. Tickets are $7.

HOLY MACKEREL, IT'S GODFLESH

by Chris Stelmak

If you are looking for a repetitive industrial band with interesting vocals, then Godflesh has released <I>Selfless<P> just for you. With deep, monotone singing and long, repetitive songs, Godflesh sounds like many other heavy industrial bands.

Godflesh consists of Justin K. Broadrick on guitars and vocals, G.C. Green on bass, and various machines on rhythm, synthesizers and samples.

The actual rhythms are great; however, it is very repetitious. The album is over an hour long, which means the average song is over seven minutes.

The beginning of the album starts out slow with "Xynobis" and "bigot." As the album progresses, the rhythms get heavier, rougher and more uncut in "Crush My Soul" and "Heartless." The music almost seems like something done by Helmet. Toward the end of the album, the rhythms tone up again, becoming smoother and closer to industrial than metal.

The last song, "Go Spread Your Wings," is what most people expect of the average industrial band. The beginning consists mainly of a strum of a guitar followed by someone banging on a synthesizer. The vocals start out about five minutes into the song as slow and flowing. As the song progresses, the rhythms begin to flow together, and the vocals begin to get heavier. The song is almost 25 minutes long, which is much too long for a song that should not have even been put on the album.

The vocals for <I>Selfless<P> are terrific, starting out smoothly. After several songs, they get deeper and heavier. Broadrick goes from singing to screaming.

The album would be much better if the rhythms did not repeat themselves so often. The band has definite potential and should have a good sound in concert.

Godflesh will be opening with Type O Negative Friday night at the International Ballroom. Tickets are $17.50.