*******************************************************

UH ATHLETICS OFFICIALS TALK SHOP WITH STUDENTS

UH athletic director Bill Carr and Janice Hilliard, associate athletic director for Academic Affairs, led a frank discussion on intercollegiate athletics as guest speakers in Professor Russell Curtis' Sociology of Sport class Tuesday.

Carr and Hilliard discussed the future of UH athletics and the NCAA and answered numerous and often difficult student questions.

A student asked Carr the question, "Is UH football making money?"

"No, we are not generating enough revenue for our program," Carr replied. "But I think our school is capable of generating revenue in this complex market."

Carr began the discussion by explaining his theory of "dual-market constraints" that shape intercollegiate athletics. He added that these constraints were both external and internal in nature.

The external constraints are financial as well as legislative, he said. As he has in the past, Carr said alumni would need to help support the UH Athletic Department financially. But he also offered some distinct views on the future of NCAA Division I athletics and Houston's place in that future.

"By the end of the decade," he said, "in my opinion there'll be two dozen fewer Division I football programs.

"The market will drive it down to 70 or 80 schools. The expense to play college football has gone up immensely."

There are currently 107 NCAA Division I universities. Carr said the most significant reason he predicts a decline in this number is Title IX, a 1972 U.S. Congress bill that has been more stringently enforced in the last few years.

Title IX says state-supported universities must have male and female athletic scholarship percentages similar to the percentage of the student body.

Because of this, football programs, each of which gives up to 85 scholarships for male athletes, must be balanced out with a similar amount of scholarships for female athletes.

"I think (Title IX) is good, but you need the revenue," Carr said. "Title IX doesn't provide sufficient revenue capabilities."

He said that for UH to meet the requirements of Title IX, it will need to add 25 more women's athletic scholarships. The addition of two more women's sports at UH, probably soccer and softball, will provide these scholarships.

The emphasis on meeting these requirements is increasing because UH will soon have to undergo an independent certification audit of the Athletic Department by the NCAA.

Independent certification is part of the Knight Foundation Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics' Statement of Principles for the NCAA to govern its members.

It calls for an arbitrary audit, conducted by an outside group, to determine if an athletic program has academic and financial integrity. The panel was formed in 1989 by the Knight-Ridder Publishing Co. to develop a new model for governing college athletics.

Houston is preparing for the audit, which should be conducted in 1996-97, by reviewing the NCAA's criteria and developing what Carr calls a "master plan for athletics."

Hilliard said she is also preparing for the audit and the annual NCAA meeting, to be held in January.

She said the welfare of student-athletes will be the major topic at this year's meeting. However, athlete admissions should also be a hot topic after last year's threatened ban of NCAA events by the Black Coaches Association.

Current NCAA admissions standards for student-athletes, which are different from individual schools' admissions standards, require at least a 700 SAT score and a 2.2 GPA in 11 high school core courses. Another proposal to be discussed at the meeting is an increase in these requirements to a 2.5 GPA in 13 core courses with a variable SAT score based on class standing.

Hilliard said one of the goals of the Knight Foundation audits is to make student-athlete admission standards similar to those of nonathlete students.

She plans to meet these requirements with two goals for the UH athletic program.

"We want to recruit student-athletes that will graduate," Hilliard said, "and have support services to ensure student-athlete matriculation."

BUSINESS SCHOOL RECEIVES GRANT

by Rosario Peña

A $20.9 million grant was recently awarded to the College of Business Administration to head the Texas Manufacturing Assistance Center network, Gulf Coast region, consisting of 28 counties in southeast Texas.

TMAC, under the Texas Department of Commerce, is a statewide manufacturing extension partnership dedicated to improving the competitive position of Texas' 20,000 small manufacturers.

"The TMAC grant builds upon existing efforts to assist manufacturers. These additional resources will help accelerate opportunities for manufacturers to expand markets and create jobs," said Elizabeth Gatewood, region director of the UH Small Business Development Center.

Scheduled to come on-line in the spring of 1995, there will be no charge for assessments and initial services. However, with the help of the UH College of Engineering, there will be comprehensive services offered on a low-cost basis.

Gatewood will be the director of the newly formed umbrella organization, Institute for Enterprise Excellence, which includes TMAC Gulf Coast and CBA's other small-business support programs. The institute will oversee the activities of TMAC Gulf Coast, the UH Small Business Development Center, Texas Information Procurement Service, Texas Product Development Center and International Trade Center.

"With the passage of NAFTA, small manufacturers in Texas will have an opportunity to increase their exports. TMAC will help these manufacturers improve their operations so that their products are price- and quality-competitive in the international marketplace," Gatewood said.

UH SPACE VACUUM EPITAXY CENTER LOOKS BEYOND SILICON REALM

by Tawanta Feifer

The UH Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center is developing technology that will innovate the electronics industry as part of NASA's effort to increase commercial opportunities in space.

"It's important to the government to develop commercial opportunities in space because that (space) is a new lab, a new frontier. Things can be done in space that cannot be done anywhere in the world," said Raymond Whitten, senior program manager for the NASA Center of the Commercial Development of Space.

The CCDS – a partnership of industry, government and academia – is developing technology that will create new markets, businesses and jobs. "We're doing things in a partnership with U.S. industry. We don't do things just for science's sake," Whitten added.

The UH Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center's role is to create a low Earth orbit vacuum that is comparable to the natural vacuum of outer space, then use that vacuum to build better semiconductors, said Mark Sterling, assistant director for Flight Operations and Wake Shield program manager.

In order to create a better vacuum in low Earth orbit, the center has developed a Wake Shield Facility. The shield is a remote-controlled, free-flying, battery-operated, 12-foot-in-diameter, stainless-steel disk that generates a vacuum behind it as it travels 17,000 mph 200 miles above the Earth. The shield literally pushes atoms out of the way as it travels, creating an ultra-vacuum behind it. The only way to create a better vacuum would be to go deeper into space, which is more costly, Sterling said.

Semiconductors, commonly known as computer chips, control the flow of data in computers and microelectronics. The experimental semiconductors will be thin films of gallium arsenide created by epitaxial growth, which is the atomic replication of a crystal using a crystal pattern, Sterling said.

In this case, gallium arsenide semiconductors will be created atom by atom and layer by layer. Theoretically, crystals grown in a low Earth orbit vacuum are perfect because there are no chamber walls on which atoms of previous experiments can accumulate and bind with new formations, he added.

He said future computers and microelectronics will be smaller, faster and more powerful because gallium arsenide chips are smaller, faster and consume less power than silicon chips. "Silicon chip technology has gone about as far as we can develop it," Sterling said.

What is unique about the center is that it is not solely government-financed. Unlike previous arrangements in which contractors bilked the federal government, private investors and businesses also finance the center's research. The center received only 2.5 percent of its fiscal year 1993 budget, or more than $315,000 from UH. Sterling said money is used for center operations, salaries and research.

Whitten added, "The program (CCDS) is driven by industry's needs. The partners are already poised to take technology into the market. As new materials are discovered, they (industry partners) exploit them into the market." He said industry partners of the program are able to develop patents, licensing and royalties for the commercial distribution of new technology. By using the center's resources, academic partners are able to train students to move into the private sector with experience in new technologies.

Whitten said technology developed in the CCDS could be translated into advanced communications. He said remote sensors in space could allow farmers to access environmental data in order to detect plant stress and fertilization needs for whole tracts of land. That same technology could also be used for "telemedicine," which would allow doctors all over the world to communicate via satellite, he added.

"We approach things in a market-based way. We take a few more chances," Sterling said. Instead of being 99.99 percent sure of success as NASA does, he said they are only 95 percent sure of success. He said the shield's maiden flight in February 1994 cost only $15 million to build and fly, which is at least seven times less than a traditional aerospace project. "Like all businesses, we try to reduce the cost of technology," Sterling said.

FREE HINDI CLASSES COMING

Language courses not good for credit yet

by Farnaz Dandia

The India Students' Association, in conjunction with the Hindu Students' Council, will be offering free Hindi classes in the spring.

The classes will be taught on weekends for two to three hours and will be open to UH students and faculty. Presently, the classes are not for academic credit, but the council hopes to get accreditation soon.

Hindi is the language spoken by most of the more than 800 million people of India. It is also the national language of India.

The instructor, Arun Prakash, who teaches Hindi at Rice University and Bellaire High School, said, "I am teaching this class for one very simple reason: I come from India, and Hindi is my language. Hindi is the third-largest language in the world, and it is growing in importance. India has now opened its borders to foreign trade, and American corporations will want Hindi-speaking professionals who will be able to interact with Indians."

He added, "India's culture is very, very rich and uniquely different. These classes will make the students better understand this culture and will help them learn about themselves through the culture."

The president of the India Students' Association, Binoy Samuel, said his association is sponsoring this class because it will be a service to the students at UH, and will help the university as a community.

He explained that because the United States government has considered Hindi a critical language, it would seem that this is a great opportunity for students and staff at this university to learn it.

Samuel added, "We haven't started a major advertising campaign yet, but we already have more than 20 people interested. A lot of people want to participate, but they don't want to go into something without knowing what the result will be. The class is open to everyone. Currently, the majority of students interested are American-born Indians and foreigners (non-Indians)."

The classes will be taught free of charge, but instructional materials like audio and video tapes and books must be purchased. For more information, call Samuel at 743-6925.

TEACH FOR AMERICA WANTS A FEW GOOD GRADS

National corps searches for recruits on campus

by A. Nett

"I get 50 hugs a day – it's a pretty good job," said Jennifer Dewhirst, a third-grade teacher and a member of Teach for America, a national teacher corps, which was on campus last Wednesday night to recruit students for future positions.

TFA recruits college graduates who are from diverse cultural backgrounds and majors to commit to teaching in public schools for two years. Individuals accepted to the corps complete an intensive summer training program, and are then placed by TFA in schools in 17 regions, urban and rural, across the country.

"We don't ask you simply to be a teacher. We expect you to be active, instrumental in the neighborhood where you teach. If the area around a child is not thriving, that child is probably not going to thrive. You are there to be the one to make changes, improve the community. TFA has been called idealistic, but the bottom line is that we have sent thousands of teachers out there who are doing it," said Doug Zacker, a fourth-grade teacher at J. P. Cornelius elementary, who was leading the information session.

The program is competitive, with only 500 slots open for the 1995 corps, and 5000 applications are expected. The application process is serious – it can easily be compared to a graduate school application requiring essays, letters of reference and school transcripts.

Zacker said the acceptance rate should not be a deterrent to anyone who is interested in the program. "There are a lot of angles that they look for, and no one who is serious about applying should not do so," he said.

Marissa Talley, a 1994 graduate of UH-Downtown who is a 1994 TFA corps member teaching in New Orleans, said the recruitment is rigorous, but she said her UH background gave her some advantages.

"They look for highly motivated people, but they also look for diverse educational backgrounds so that education can be broadened across the board. My mind was opened very much going to school at UH. I'm comfortable in a big city," Talley said. "All the culture in Houston helps to understand the needs of multicultural children."

"The degree plan at UH has also helped me – I picked classes in my major that I think really do make me to be a better teacher – it's a good liberal base for teaching. UH prepared me," said Talley, who majored in social sciences.

Alan Main, a UH graduate with a degree in Spanish, teaches bilingual fourth-grade students in the Rio Grande Valley. He attended the TFA recruiting session on campus both his junior and senior years, and decided that the ability to start teaching immediately and the ongoing teacher support TFA provides made it his best option for becoming certified.

"I knew that I would be using my Spanish degree. Teaching draws on my whole UH experience," Main said.

To request an application for the 1995 TFA corps, call 1-800-

832-1230.

UH LOSES SHOOTING TOUCH IN MISSOURI

SMSU defense stops Moore, Jones and Co. in their tracks 88-62

The Houston men's basketball team lost to Southwest Missouri State 88-62 Tuesday night before 6,832 in Springfield, Mo., to even its record at 1-1.

"I don't want to take anything away from Southwest Missouri," Houston head coach Alvin Brooks said. "We played horrible; we have five new guys trying to mesh together in there. It was our first road game, and our inexperience showed, and we did a poor job."

That horrible job included the team shooting only 37 percent from the field. The Cougars hit only 21 field goals in 57 attempts.

Junior forward Tim Moore was once again the leading scorer for the Cougars, but only had 19 points compared with Friday's 33 against James Madison. He fouled out with 1:13 left in the game.

Freshman shooting guard Damon Jones, who scored 22 last week, went 1-for-14 from the field, including 0-for-5 from 3-point range. He hit 5-of-8 treys against James Madison.

"Jones is a freshman, and sometimes freshmen go on the road and don't play as well as they do in the next game," Bears head coach Mark Bernsen said. "Freshmen have trouble on the road early in the year."

SMSU led 40-24 at halftime as Houston shot only 37 percent from the field. The Cougars could not make up the margin in the second half. They shot 36.7 percent and were outscored 48-38 in the final half.

"There were times last Friday night that we didn't lose our poise against a good James Madison team, but we sure didn't maintain it tonight," Brooks said. "We missed some easy shots we should have made."

Bernsen said he thinks his team's defense took UH out of its game.

"I thought our defense took away some stuff with our team defense. We did a nice job helping our post defense and made the wrong people make some plays," he said.

Starting Houston point guard Tyrone Evans was the only other Cougars player to score in double figures. He finished 5-of-7 from the field for 13 points.

"(The Bears) played about like I thought they would," Brooks said. "They are a solid ball club, but we expected that from them."

SMSU senior point guard Johnny Murdock, the Bears' top returning player, led all scorers with 26 points and eight assists. He hit 4-of-6 3-pointers.

Ben Kandlbinder added three more treys for a total of 22 points. Sophomore forward Shawn Latimer had 17 points and led all players with nine rebounds.

The Bears shot 50 percent from the field, including 42.9 percent from behind the 3-point arc.

Houston's next game is Saturday in Akron, Ohio, against the Akron Zips, which Houston defeated in last year's season opener. The Cougars finish a three-game road swing Dec. 8 in Tucson, Ariz., against the No. 9 Arizona Wildcats (2-1). They return to Hofheinz Pavilion Dec. 10 and take on the Southern California Trojans.

DEPLETED LADY COUGARS LOOK TO IMPROVE ON 1-1 START THROUGH PRAIRIE VIEW A&M

by R. L. Lang

Coming away with a split from the Felspauch/MSU Classic in Michigan last weekend is a good sign for the Lady Cougars' future, Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw said.

The Cougars (1-1) won their first game against Detroit 81-80. They came from behind for the victory with only three minutes, 57 seconds left in the game. Michigan State proved too strong in the second game as the Cougars lost 91-72.

"Naturally, we would have liked to win the tournament, but we'll take the split. It was a good test for the freshmen, and they responded well to the challenge," Kenlaw said.

The Cougars have only seven active players, five of which are freshmen. Until the remaining players become eligible in mid-December, Kenlaw said she will have to revise some things.

Late in the game against Detroit, five of the seven players had four fouls each.

"They could have folded, playing their season opener on the road, playing before a hostile crowd. It was a miracle nobody fouled out. It was another sign of them keeping their poise. They grew up a lot," Kenlaw added.

Junior guard Tanda Rucker and freshman forward Jennifer Jones, who together accounted for 20 points in the last eight minutes of the game against Detroit, were each named to the all-tournament team.

"We were very proud that we had two members to make all-tournament, in particular Jennifer Jones being so young," Kenlaw said.

Jones, 17, is young enough to be a senior in high school. Her accomplishment so early in the season did a lot for her confidence, Kenlaw said.

Rucker, who played two seasons at Stanford, including the Cardinal's national championship season of 1992, brings a lot to the team that is not seen in the stats, Kenlaw said. Having played with one of the best teams in the country, she brings leadership to a young Cougars team, she added.

"She did an outstanding job in Detroit by running our offense. Particularly in the late minutes, she just took over. She and Jennifer Jones both dominated," Kenlaw said.

Rucker and Jones will receive some help when the remaining five players return Dec. 16. Pat Luckey and Antoinette Isaac are out because of academic ineligibility, and the others are transfer students and therefore not eligible until January.

In comparing this year's team to last year's, Kenlaw said, "We are a lot more versatile than we were last year. You'll see a lot more of our transition game. Last year, we were somewhat limited as to when we could and couldn't run. This year, we can go. All of our players are in a position to hound the ball; they fill the lanes very well."

Kenlaw said the team should respond better playing at home tonight in the season opener against Prairie View A&M.

Against Sam Houston, Prairie View was outscored 58 to 18 in the second half and lost the game 98-43. The Panthers' leading scorer was Kecia Lang with 14 points, followed by Latoya Davis and Rosetta Turnerhill with eight each.

Kenlaw said the Cougars' preparation for a good competitive match has been to "work on the things that we do well."

To compensate for the fatigue of playing with only seven players, some revisions to the rotation are being made, Kenlaw said. The players' ability to sub every five or six minutes will help them get a breather.

"We're not pressing at all this year. All of our defense is in the half court. We're trying to make some adjustments to reserve them as much as possible," she said.

BOYZ II MEN'S LATEST WARMS THE SOUL

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

The first song on Boyz II Men's second album, <I>II<P>, is called "Thank You," but after listening to the album, you will be thanking Boyz II Men for creating such a magical and inspiring collection of songs.

For this album, Boyz II Men worked with some of the music industry's most talented producers, including Babyface and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, but it is the complementing, symphonic and harmonious voices of the quartet that make this album breathtaking.

After "Thank You," the album moves on to "All Around The World," which has a hint of enchanting French and the feel that it was recorded live with shouts and applause in the background.

"Vibin'" and "Jezzebel" have slick, mellow beats with jazz influences and rhapsodic lyrics that make you feel like you're in a convertible without a care in the world.

And then, just when you didn't think it could get any better ... the ballads.

The first song released from the album, an instant classic, "I'll Make Love To You," is sincere and pure, and quite rapturous. When Shawn Stockman sings, "Close your eyes/ Make a wish," you find yourself doing just that. Wayna Morris' powerful voice carries the song until the very end, when it embraces you.

"On Bended Knee" is another poignant classic in which the group sings about falling out of love. In the song, they ask the question, "Can you tell me how a perfect love goes wrong?" The intense emotions stirred by the lyrics, "I'll never walk again/ Until you come back to me/I'm down on bended knee," and the voice of Morris are monumental.

"50 Candles," "Water Runs Dry," "Tryin' Times," and "I Sit Away" are other songs to which you'll surrender your heart.

The best song, no matter what Beatles fans will decry, is the group's cover of "Yesterday."

This is perhaps the best example of the way their voices blend together to maximum perfection. It's so harmonious and melodic. It touches your soul, your heart and you get a sense of the intense passion behind the song; you'll really long for yesterday.

The entire album is very moving. It makes you believe in love and romance, and it will affect you deeply.

If it doesn't touch your soul, you probably don't have one.

<I>MODEL<P> QUESTIONS FRAMEWORK OF WESTERN HISTORY

When there is talk of the Founding Fathers, the great inventions of the 20th century or of society's political advances, most people credit the dominance of the "European miracle," or the belief that Europeans were the progenitors of modernity. One author says they are wrong.

So many of society's most common preconceptions about its origins and history are just that – preconceptions, neither true nor substantiated. At least that is how University of Illinois-Chicago Professor J. M. Blaut presents it in his book, <I>The Colonizer's Model of the World<P>, one of the year's more thought-provoking books.

<I>Model<P> is hardly the caricature of politically correct dogma, as Blaut's writing is reasoned and incisive in its analysis. He takes one step further concerning the unknowing conclusions most Americans make and exposes the logic as being inaccurate or false, thus invalid.

Blaut relies on a mix of facts, figures and psychology to pry apart the basic ideas of what most people think society is about. It takes the logic of said arguments a step further and exposes them for the fallacies they are.

At the core of the assumptions, Blaut argues, are several opinions repeated so many times that, he concludes, people take them to be facts. These he tags "the European miracle," which encompasses points the intelligentsia and academia take to be objective reality.

Foremost, they include the assumption that racism is no longer an issue in discussing the development of European and non-European culture because European advantages and inventiveness merely reflected prior arrival at a stage of development to which non-Europeans could aspire; thus, Europeans are not superior, but their advancement was a matter of priority.

Twinned with this assumption, part of the European miracle, labeled "diffusionist ideology," also held that the diffusion of European ideas and influence would bring about economic and social development of the non-European world.

The word "racism" has become sufficiently vilified to make it impossible to maintain intellectual legitimacy by clinging to ideas seen as racist. At the same time, covertly racist assumptions are now intellectualized with cursory observations, but generally not with facts.

"Classical" lynch-mob racism, Blaut argues, has been replaced with moderate racism, full of implied theories; it posits that the "subtle undertow of genetics," mixed with half-baked observations, is the reason for current society. It allows for one to take liberal positions in fighting overt racial discrimination, but cloaks subtle bigotry in the guise of rationality and knowledge.

Many of the arguments supporting European superiority are painstakingly documented and mercilessly deconstructed, even as the utter ridiculousness of their logic is pilloried. Blaut gives out plenty of rope with which to hang such assumptions.

One of the more amusing topics is environmental determinism, or the theory that European regions are innately superior because of the crops that could be grown there (as opposed to the aridity of tropical regions) and the supposedly natural irrigation, which made the land more desirable.

When explained in full, the concept of environmental determinism sounds, literally, like a stab in the dark, which Blaut argues it is, yet it is held up in many circles as evidence of the alleged triumph of Europe over the "Third World." Pointing out various facts and research, he shoots down the theory without a flaw. It's a practice he continues throughout the book.

By far, <I>Model<P>'s most persuasive presentations are in terms of its summoning forgotten European history to show it to not be the ideal through which time has abstracted it. In fact, Blaut notes, the history of Europeans is fraught with even greater degrees of violence, barbarity and the elements associated with uncivilized society.

The diffusionist ideology, Blaut states, while recoiling at classical racism, holds that, through superior technology and an advanced economy of a more progressive and venturesome people, America was "discovered," capitalism came to reign, the world became more morally virtuous and, in general, rose up out of the primitive and uncivilized world – synonymous with the "nasty-tropical" jungle of Africa and the "arid, despotic" lands in Asia.

Such could have been said of North America, had Europeans not snatched the land, Blaut posits, but those qualities could be rationalized away because the land could be taken. He is careful throughout his chapters on post-1492 history to outline the factors of world economics and of the rise in industrialization and capitalism as well as socialist tendencies not only in Europe, but around the world.

The rise of various economic and political movements coincided with global changes not inspired by European thinkers or by the superiority or "rationality" of European values, but of a global series of events, both historical and social, which influenced many people of different continents.

<I>The Colonizer's Model of the World<P> is a carefully documented and profoundly thoughtful book that could change how you view history and the world. While admittedly revisionist, the author's text is sure to influence how many people see the way they are taught.