NEW PH.D. PROGRAM INCLUDES HISPANIC CULTURE, LITERATURE

Beginning next fall, the University of Houston Department of Modern and Classical Languages will offer a Ph.D. program in Spanish with a special concentration in Hispanic literature and culture in the United States.

The program will be the first of its kind to serve East and South Texas. Currently, only the University of Texas and Texas Tech offer Spanish Ph.D. programs. UH's program will be the first to focus specifically on Hispanic literature and culture.

"The Houston area, with the largest Hispanic population in the state and one of the largest in the country, will benefit from the advanced research and training the program will provide," said Julian Olivares, chairman of the Department of Modern and Classical Languages. "The program will open the doors of higher education wider for underrepresented minorities."

UH President James H. Pickering says the new program will add a needed dimension to the university's curricula and help fill gaps in Americans' knowledge of their culturally diverse history.

"The new doctoral program will increase the number of students pursuing doctoral degrees in the humanities," he added.

Students will have an array of opportunities for financial aid and research. Much of the work will involve UH's current multimillion-dollar research project, "Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary Heritage."

UH is also the home of Arte Publico Press, the largest publisher of Hispanic literature in the United States. Doctoral candidates will have the opportunity to work in both the research and publishing projects.

James Pipkin, dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication, said, "The Recovery Project and Arte Publico Press will allow Ph.D. students to do cutting-edge research for their degrees and give them unusually strong credentials for future success in their profession."

For information about the program and admission requirements, write: Julian Olivares, chairman; Department of Modern and Classical Languages; University of Houston; Houston, Texas 77204-3784.

*******************************************************

WOMEN IN JUDAISM STRIVES TO EQUALIZE MALE-CENTERED RELIGION

by Gale Lunsford

Imagine growing up as a female and never knowing your real self. You know you're a woman, and you know your religion, but what does this mean?

Women in Judaism, an organization that attempts to explore social, political, religious and halachic (pertaining to Jewish laws) views expressed by Jewish women, will hold its first meeting today at 2 p.m. in Room 113 of the A. D. Bruce Religion Center.

The B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation started Women in Judaism as part of an outreach program to interest more women in the Jewish faith.

Eric Bishop, president of Hillel, said that even though he hopes the group covers all four views, he feels social aspects are most important.

"In today's world, social issues are important because everything is based around a social world," he said.

According to Shari Garfinkel, program director of B'nai B'rith Hillel, Women In Judaism is the first and only group at UH that focuses on women's issues in Judaism.

"There are many who believe that certain Judeo-Christian religions have slighted women. There hasn't always been adequate attention paid to women's religious views," Garfinkel said, adding that involvement in this kind of women's group during her college years allowed her to learn more about Judaism than she would have learned in her everyday life.

"This group is a personal mission for me because I feel I've had a wonderful opportunity to build the Jewish faith," she said. "I want to show all students, not just women, how they can experience Judaism."

Bishop said Judaism has traditionally been a religion dominated by males. He wants Women In Judaism to help Jewish women find their place in the Jewish community. The feminist midrash – or interpretation of the Torah, the five books of Moses –will be one way of looking at a Jewish custom from a woman's perspective during the group's meetings.

"I hope to see the future of Judaism less male-centered and geared more toward women," Bishop said.

Garfinkel has helped create a Women In Judaism group at Rice University.

SA SAYS GRADES TO BE POSTED ON VIP

by Jennifer Smith

UH students should be able to find out what their grades are this semester via the VIP system, announced SA President Angie Milner during Wednesday's meeting.

"The memo went out to all professors last week," Milner said.

It is each professor's responsibility to file student grades with the VIP administrators, she added.

Students should be able to access their grades as a menu option at the VIP number 743-8484 as soon as their professors file them; thus, students won't have to wait for grades in the mail.

Also at the meeting, a representative of the Hispanic Students' Association's Cuba Friendship Committee spoke on behalf of a resolution proposing a sister-campus relationship with the University of Havana.

Mike Chamberlain said the Federation of University Students at the University of Havana sent a formal letter to UH students in early October proposing the relationship. The letter states that its goal is "to strengthen ties of friendship between our two student organizations by way of cultural exchange between our schools."

Chamberlain, a sophomore journalism and industrial technology major, said the HSA decided the sister-campus project idea was a worthy cause during its Oct. 27 meeting and chose to sponsor the SA resolution.

He said the sister-campus relationship would help in an understanding of culture and life in the Hispanic family of nations, particularly because Cuba is an extremely influential Hispanic country that is habitually ignored by the United States.

"This would be a modest contribution on our part toward this goal," Chamberlain said.

The sister-campus resolution was submitted to the Academic Affairs Committee for discussion. Later during the meeting, Milner announced that she attended a meeting with Metro officials Friday. Representatives from SMU were also present. She said she hoped to make it possible for students to take a bus directly to campus without a long detour.

"We both presented ideas," Milner said. "I feel that we got a lot accomplished. I was seeing reality (come into being)."

Milner said she will continue to meet with Metro officials and will keep SA posted.

Milner also said she was still seeking senators to be on the Library Fee Committee. She said only one senator had volunteered to have input on a subject that affects all UH students: whether they must keep paying the fee every semester.

Milner also announced her nominations for student representation on the University Planning and Policy Council. She nominated Giovanni Garibay and Alanna McQuibban, both from the College of Business, to the council.

COUGARS WIN BIG, 83-45

Victory bittersweet for women's basketball team

The women's basketball team decimated Prairie View A&M on the scoreboard Wednesday night with a 83-45 victory in front of 402 spectators in Hofheinz Pavilion, but Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw still found places on which the Lady Cougars need to work.

"It's a game where you really want to try and improve, but it's hard to do against a team like Prairie View," she said.

Despite the easy victory, the Cougars only shot 42 percent for the game and turned the ball over 16 times.

"I thought we committed far too many turnovers and gave up too many second shots," Kenlaw said. "We also lost some of our composure."

That was evident when the Cougars, who have only seven eligible players this semester, saw their two starting forwards foul out of the game.

With 1:37 to go in the game, Houston's Alicia Rodriguez committed her fifth personal foul. Jennifer Jones took a seat 33 seconds later. The problem could have really escalated because guard Fleceia Comeaux received what Kenlaw called a "deep cut" over her left eye in the first period. She did return to play in the second half.

"Naturally, I was hoping we could finish the game with five players," Kenlaw said about what went through her mind as the clock wound down. "I was hoping we wouldn't commit any silly fouls."

With only seven players, Kenlaw said foul trouble is something the team will have to worry about when it faces Lamar and Southern California next week. Jones agreed.

"I was a little too aggressive on defense," she said about her five personal fouls. She added that the limited bench affects the way the team plays defense, especially its rotations.

Jones was second on the team with 16 points; she led rebounds with 12. The Cougars' scoring attack was led by post Rosheda Hopson, who had 21.

Even though these two accounted for 37 of the Cougars' (2-1) 83 points, and the team out-rebounded Prairie View (0-2) 61-33, Kenlaw felt Houston's height advantage was not utilized.

"I felt we had an advantage in size," she said. "Our post players should have really dominated."

The Cougars' next three games will be at home. They face Lamar Tuesday, USC Dec. 9 and Stephen F. Austin Dec. 17. All games will start at 7 p.m.

ETTA JAMES TAKES IT TO THE LIMIT, BLUES STYLE

by Jim Presnell

Etta James, the famed R&B/blues singer, can really rock. "Astonishing" has to serve as one adjective for this collection of songs recorded at a 1981 concert at the Boarding House.

Many of the songs here have become familiar blues standards while others will knock the uninitiated flat on their rears.

Who would have guessed the venerable Etta would record the Eagles' "Take it To the Limit" and do so with such strong emotion and true rock 'n' roll style? And "Sugar On the Floor," a blues classic, came from the pen of none other than erstwhile Elton John singing partner Kiki Dee ("Don't Go Breakin' My Heart").

There's much classic rock/R&B/blues territory covered here. Particularly fine is a tribute to Otis Redding that avoids the obvious ("Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay") in favor of uptempo numbers like "Hard to Handle" and "Can't Turn You Loose," plus the slower "Just One More Day."

Interesting also is "Born Blue," which asks the rhetorical musical question, "Why wasn't I born with orange skin and green hair / Like the rest of the people in the world ... I was born to be blue."

She certainly proves that. A fine voice in fine form graces this classic recording. The band plays hot, too.

COUGARS TO FACE CLEMSON IN 2ND ROUND

The Clemson volleyball team beat Stephen F. Austin 3-2 to win the first-round game of the NCAA Tournament. Clemson will come to Hofheinz Pavilion Saturday to face the Houston Cougars in the second-round match. First serve is at 7:30 p.m.

The Tigers (27-7) won the last three games to come from behind and beat the Lumberjacks (32-3) by scores of 12-15, 13-15, 15-9, 15-11 and 15-8 in Jervey Gymnasium in Clemson, S.C.

The Tigers were led by Robin Kibben, who had 31 kills, 22 digs and a .442 hitting percentage. She led the team in all of these categories.

Clemson also had two other players with double figures in the kill category. Julie Rodriguez was second on the team with 18, and Nancy Kibben contributed 14.

The Lumberjacks were paced by Joycee Curry with 21.

In other Southwest Conference action, Texas beat Louisville 3-0, and Texas A&M beat Michigan State 3-1.

COUGARS TO FACE CLEMSON IN 2ND ROUND