THE CHECK'S IN THE MAIL FOR UH SYSTEM

by Patricia Davis

pager 717-8426

A new twist to the UH System's Annual Fund Drive netted $50,000 in additional unrestricted funds for UH, UH-Downtown, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria.

This year’s direct-mail portion of the campaign promised no telephone solicitation to 20,000 previous contributors who responded to the direct-mail plea. About 1,000 supporters, or 5 percent over the usual 1 percent, pledged an average of $50 to the UH System for the coming year.

Lisa DuBrock, director of annual giving at UH, said many people object to telephone solicitors and that the mail drive gave those people an opportunity to contribute to the annual campaign. DuBrock said the System plans to do the same next year and is considering giving more people an opportunity to participate.

The 1994 Fund Drive raised $733,000 for System distribution. That figure is significantly higher than the $561,000 raised the previous year. DuBrock said 95 percent of those funds come to UH.

Jeff Paddock, director of annual giving in the UH System, said it hopes to match the 1994 amount this year.

"That is still an increase in giving because the number of prospects have dropped due to the drop in enrollment," Paddock said.

The System raises the bulk of its pledges through telephone solicitation. Paddock said the solicitation program is crucial to the success of raising discretionary dollars for the universities.

DuBrock said those dollars are used mostly for scholarships, faculty development and seed money for research.

"These are unrestricted funds to be used by the deans and directors in any way needed," DuBrock said.

The System employs 45 student callers who work in shifts of 16 callers a night from September through June. This year, they will call 90,000 alumni and parents in hopes of reaching their goal.

"Involvement from alumni makes this a strong university," DuBrock said.

Paddock said the telephone campaign is an important vehicle for the long-term growth of a development program, providing the impetus to get supporters who can be upgraded each year.

"It creates a foundation a development director can go back to and draw from," Paddock said.

Senior Challenge, organized by the Student Foundation, also raised $48,000 for the drive last year. Seniors personally solicit seniors for a four-year commitment of $200 – $20, $40, $60 and $80. Senior Challenge has been in existence for three years.

The UH System also sponsors special giving campaigns for athletics, the library and other programs.

*******************************************************

VOLLEYBALLERS SWEEP – VICTORY SWEET

Cougars clobber Clemson, advance to regionals

One, two, three, you're out – of the NCAA Volleyball Tournament, so said the University of Houston to Clemson as it beat the Tigers 3-0 in Hofheinz Pavilion Saturday to advance to the Sweet 16.

While the No. 17 Cougars may not have said it in so many words, they said it with kills, blocks and digs – especially digs.

"They out-played us defensively," Clemson head coach Jolene Hoover said. "We're usually a real strong defensive team, but they were great in digging balls out."

The Cougars (25-6) out-dug the Tigers (28-8) 64-47, a statistic Houston head coach Bill Walton said was the difference in the match. This was especially evident in the first game, which the Cougars won 15-1. The score reached 12-0 before the Tigers even made the scoreboard.

The second and third games were not as defensively dominating for the Cougars, but even more important as the score closed, and the Cougars held on to sweep by scores of 15-13 and 15-12 and kept the crowd of 1,012 on their feet for much of the match.

"I think in the first game, we got matchups we wanted," Walton said. "The next game, they rotated three (players to avoid the same matchup)."

Walton added that when the teams went into the locker room after the second game, there was a vote as to whether his staff thought Clemson would rotate again. They decided they would and kept the Cougars in the same rotation. It was the only error the Cougars seemed to make.

In the first game, they played nearly flawless ball as the team had a .500 hitting percentage, recording 17 kills and only one attacking error.

"We were playing on pure adrenaline," Houston sophomore setter Sami Sawyer said. "They were making errors, and we were putting the ball down."

Sawyer had only two kills, but registered 46 of the team's 57 assists. The entire Clemson team had only 39 assists. Sawyer also contributed 10 digs.

Kill-wise, the Cougars were led, as they have been all season, by senior hitter, Southwest Conference Player of the Year and All-America candidate Lilly Denoon-Chester, who had 23 kills, with a hitting percentage of .395 for the match. These totals led both teams.

But despite the great offense of the Cougars, for which the team is known, Walton still felt the defense was the clincher.

"People watch our offense," Walton said. "All people see are the results and the booms at the end. You don't get any offense unless the first and second plays are accurate."

Often, the Cougars didn't even need to get that far as the Cougars out-blocked Clemson 9-3. Sophomore sensations Marie-Claude Tourillon and Emily Leffers combined for 11 block assists, Tourillon with six and Leffers with five.

The biggest block came at the end of the first game when, this time, Leffers and Denoon-Chester combined to block for the game-winning score. Tourillon was not to be denied as she recorded the match-winning kill. The second game ended dramatically, also, as Leffers scored the 15th point on a service ace.

Tourillon ended the match second on the team in kills with 14 and a .333 hitting percentage.

The Tigers were led by senior Robin Kibben, who had 14 kills but only a .114 hitting percentage. Ashley Self contributed 10 kills.

From here, the Cougars travel to Gainesville, Fla., where they will face No. 14 Florida in the regional matches Thursday. If the Cougars defeat the Gators, who defeated them in last year's NCAA Tournament, they will face the winner of the Duke/UCLA game Friday, also in Florida.

RAPE IS A 4-LETTER WORD

by Valérie C. Fouché

Date rape is a crime. When a person forces himself or herself on another person to have sex as part of a date, it's date rape. In most cases, the person who is raped is a woman.

According to a pamphlet on date rape, "Preventing Date Rape on Campus," approximately 683,000 adult American women are raped every year. This means 1,871 women are raped each day.

The college statistics prove to be just as alarming: 25 percent of all college women have experienced rape or an attempted rape; 46 percent of sexually active women reported having had unwanted intercourse; 10 percent of all rapes are committed by boyfriends or ex-boyfriends; and 4 percent of college women reported they'd been raped in the last six months. Most of the rapes occurred on college campuses.

However, date rape can be prevented with education. "Preventing Date Rape on Campus" states that men can prevent date rape by understanding that:

• When you use force against your date to have sex, you are committing a crime, even if you've had sex with her at another time with her consent.

• Rape is a crime of violence. It's against the law, and you can be arrested, prosecuted and convicted for it.

• Whenever your date says, "No – stop," no matter when she says it or how softly she says it, you'd better stop. Otherwise, you will be committing rape.

• Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not an excuse. If she's drunk and can't tell you stop, it's still rape. If you're drunk and "don't know what you're doing," it's still rape.

• Be sure to communicate with your date. The best way to avoid a rape charge is to have a straight-forward conversation with your date about whether she wants sexual intimacy. Also, discuss whether you are both protected against pregnancy and against sexually transmitted diseases, like AIDS.

The pamphlet also gives women advice on how to protect themselves with a few do's and don'ts

Do ...

• Be clear and firm. When you say "No," don't smile or act friendly. Don't worry about being polite. If a guy persists, say something like, "Stop it. I'm not enjoying this. Don't force me."

• Suggest your own ideas about what to do on dates. Meet in public places, and stay in public places, not in someone's house or room.

• End the date early if the man you are with becomes drunk.

• Stay away from anyone who treats you badly. This includes men who may have sexually harassed you in the past.

• Stay alert. Awareness and common sense are your best weapons against date rape.

• Remember that your body is yours. No one has the right to touch you unless you want it.

Don't ...

• Abuse alcohol or drugs on a date.

• Spend time with a man who doesn't seem interested in your welfare.

• Assume that you are strong enough physically to stop a man from forcing you to have sex.

A woman has the right at any time to say no to any sexual act, even if she has consented previously. These are legal rights. If you need to speak with anyone regarding date rape, call the Houston Area Women's Center – Hotline-Rape Crises Program at 528-7273.

VIOLATED

College date rape still a dirty, little secret

by Terri Garner

"I couldn't believe what was happening," recalls one UH student. "One minute we were talking, and I remember telling him how tired I was. I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew, I was awakened by a sharp pain. I had my jeans down around my knees, and this guy was raping me.

"I screamed and shoved him off of me and somehow managed to pull up my pants. I turned for the door and he grabbed my ankle, so I kicked him in the face and ran down the hall as fast as I could back to my room. I curled up in my shower in the fetal position and cried. I was 21 years old, and that's how I lost my virginity."

This scenario is frightening, but unfortunately not too uncommon, especially for college-age women. The FBI reports that one woman is raped in the United States every six minutes, and a University of Arizona Medical School survey found that more than 75 percent of rape victims knew their attackers with more than half of them being attacked by their dates. Yet these statistics are based on reported rapes, with the FBI estimating that 90 percent of all rapes go unreported.

The University of Houston reported eight sexual offenses in 1992, three in 1993 and none so far this year. Rice University reported five sexual offenses in the last four years, and Texas Southern University reported two sexual assaults during the 1992-1993 school year, with only one occurring on campus.

In 1992, UH President James Pickering appointed a task force to study sexual-assault incidents on campus following two sexual assaults that summer. The report, released in April 1993, said the U.S. rate of reported rapes has increased four times faster than the overall crime rate in the last 10 years, and despite the low number of reported rapes to UHPD, the UH Counseling and Testing Center estimates that at least once a month, it sees one student who has survived a sexual assault.

Experts contend that date rape is severely underreported. "There is lots of confusion because the victim was assaulted by a trusted person," says Dr. Gail Hudson of the UH Counseling and Testing Center. "You begin to question your judgment. Sexual assault is dramatizing enough, but coupled with a friend committing the assault, it can be confusing."

Hudson adds that some victims fail to report date-rape cases because "it's difficult to prosecute someone you considered a friend."

She says date rape is most common on college campuses, where the age of the average freshman is 18. "A lot of things make first-year students more vulnerable," like new friends, a new school and a new environment.

Statistics report that alcohol is involved in at least 60 percent of all sexual-assault cases. "Alcohol is a frequent factor in sexual assault," Hudson adds. "It makes women more vulnerable because if their judgment is impaired, they may not pick up cues that can be dangerous." She also explains that "if a man's judgment is impaired, he may be less likely to hear 'no,' and this makes him more vulnerable to becoming a perpetrator," but she still maintains that "they are still accountable for the assault."

The University of Houston Interim Sexual Assault Policy defines sexual assault as "the touching of an unwilling person's intimate parts (defined as genitalia, groin, breasts, buttocks or clothing covering them) or forcing an unwilling person to touch another's intimate parts." The policy defines rape as "sexual assault involving intercourse without the victim's consent, or having sexual intercourse with someone who is unconscious or incapable of giving consent."

The policy also stipulates that "accompanying another to a dorm or bedroom ... is not affirmative consent, nor is voluntary hugging or kissing affirmative consent to sexual intercourse," and that "voluntary undressing could indicate consent, but even such consent does not deprive the person to change his/her mind and halt the activity; failure to acquiesce to the expressed desire to stop would constitute sexual assault."

The UH policy classifies sexual assault as a Code A violation in which a student could be subject to expulsion according to the Disciplinary Codes found in the UH Student Handbook.

The policy recommends contacting UHPD and the Office of Affirmative Action for victims to understand their options "regarding medical attention, counseling, legal implication and University Disciplinary action." It maintains that "reporting an incident is separate from choosing to prosecute, "so the victim is not obligated to continue with legal proceedings or university disciplinary action."

Three UH students who gave an oral presentation on rape in a Human Sexuality class expressed their feelings about date rape.

"I was surprised by how many people I knew that had been victims of date rape or attempted rape after telling them I was doing a project on rape," said Chris Catechis, a political science junior.

Catechis found in his research that, "the woman's character is called into question," referring to the William Kennedy Smith trial in which the public mentality was, "You went home with a Kennedy, you get what you deserve." He feels this mentality is wrong and that "men should take responsibility for their actions."

Simone Simon, a health education senior, was surprised in the assumption that, "if they (men) spend lots of money," or if "a woman dresses in a certain way, they should expect sex."

Kimberly Whitman, a history junior, said "the thing that scares me the most is that people don't say anything."

Students responded when asked how they would prevent date rape. "Do not instigate any heavy pre-sexual contact," advises Mike Huey, a pre-med junior. "In other words, don't stoke the engine unless you intend to ride in the car." Huey maintains that his advice is "a preventative method, not a justification for date rape."

Some incidents of rape have occurred not only in student dorms and public places, but also at Greek functions as well. The UH chapter of Delta Gamma sorority incorporates date-rape discussions into their wellness and pledge programs, according to Elizabeth Van Staveren, senior psychology major and Delta Gamma member. Van Staveren says Delta Gamma, as well as other sororities, has rules of conduct for pledges and members like "Do not go upstairs (at a fraternity house) under any circumstance, unless you're with an active (member). Even if you're with an active, it's not a good idea."

She explains that the rule "protects guys and girls and stops gossip," while addressing the issue of "safety and reputation." Van Staveren also says she has never heard of date rape happening within the UH Greek system because it is so small. She says that despite what some choose to believe, "Fraternity guys are not raping animals."

Several campus programs are available for victims of date rape. The UH Counseling and Testing Center offers free counseling, prevention videos and workshops. In addition, safety and education brochures are available from the UH Police Department.

Some universities have confronted the issue with guerrilla tactics through a practice called, "stickering," which started at Brown University and has spread to other colleges and universities in the Midwest.

"Stickering" or "scrawling" is when names of male students accused of being rapists are scrawled on campus walls. One student at Carleton College in Minnesota found her attacker's name on the "castration list" in a bathroom stall after her attack.

Experts contend that men can help in dealing with this problem by "confronting their peers when they hear them talking about sex as a game or joking about sexual assault," says Hudson, adding that the " 'boys will be boys' mentality is an insult to the men in our society."

"You must change the environment and educate individuals, both men and women together," Hudson says. "Men can confront their peers in ways that women can't and can be heard in ways that women can't."

Hudson realizes this type of confrontation is difficult, but contends, "Sometimes we don't bring in the male voice, and it's a very important voice."

ROAD ROCKS COUGARS IN AKRON AS ZIPS WIN 66-56; UH NOW 1-2

The men's basketball team dropped another road game, losing to Akron 66-56 in Rhoades Arena in front of 2,370 Saturday.

The Cougars have not won on the road since Feb. 5, when they beat Rice. They have not beat a nonconference team on the road since Feb. 10, 1993.

Not only has the road been tough on the Cougars, but so has their own shooting touch.

Houston (1-2) shot 40 percent for the game, but only hit 36 percent of its shots in the second half. By comparison, the Zips (2-1) hit 49 percent.

Akron had three players in double digits in scoring while the Cougars' Tim Moore was the player to score more than nine. In fact, he had 16 on the night and also tied for the lead in rebounding with six.

Tron Jenkins led the Zips with 17 points, and Cornell Mann was right behind him with 16.

The Cougars did stage a comeback early in the second half as they went on a 19-3 run, but they could not find the bottom of the net, scoring just one point over the final 3 minutes, 48 seconds.

The final Houston points came when freshman Galen Robinson made a three-point play, then at 2:56, Moore hit a free throw to pull the Cougars within three. After that, the offense was anemic.

RESPECTFULLY FROM UH

Volleyball team looks to overcome mystique of West Coast in proving it's no fluke

There is no justice in this world after all. After amassing a 25-6 record and the No. 2 seeding in the South region of the NCAA tournament, the No. 17 Houston Cougar volleyball team must play third-seed Florida in Gainesville, Fla.

The only logical explanation for the NCAA's thinking has to be that Houston can't bring in the money that Florida can. The bottom line is that the Gators will pack the house, while at Hofheinz Pavilion, the lights will be on, but very few people will be home.

Let's face it: In Saturday's win over Clemson, only 1,012 fans showed up to watch one of the best Cougar volleyball teams in history.

But more important than money – which doesn't mean anything to me, I'm a college student – is the lack of respect the Cougars have been given this year.

Up to this point, Houston has not only won the Southwest Conference regular-season title and the SWC Tournament, but it has also beaten No. 4 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio; national power Texas (who at the time was ranked higher than UH) twice; and No. 18 Georgia.

You might think that with that track record, the Cougars would get a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t, but the nation's volleyball elite, along with the NCAA, have snubbed their noses at a very successful Houston program.

Basically, the NCAA said, "Well, we see that you're pretty good, but you're not from California."

As Cougar head coach Bill Walton said, "They (the NCAA) couldn't overlook our record, but people still think we're a fluke."

A story Walton recounted typifies the lack of respect given not only to UH, but to most non-California volleyball programs. Walton said a California coach asked him when he was going to go to the West Coast and play some <I>real<P> volleyball against some <I>real <P> teams.

And so this year, Houston travelled to the Left Coast and promptly lost their two matches against perennial top 10 teams Santa Barbara and Long Beach State.

Although to many this might have perpetuated the California volleyball supremacy myth, it is of note that Cougar superstar Lilly Denoon-Chester did not make the trip due to illness.

The truth is that last year, the SWC was the second-best volleyball division in the country. And this year, Houston took over the SWC volleyball torch from Texas for the first time ever.

So why must the Cougars go to Gainesville when they should be playing at home?

After Saturday's match, someone mentioned that the NCAA's decision was based on a bid that both universities submitted two months ago.

But even if Houston re-bid today, they wouldn't be able to prove to the NCAA gods that they could put fans in the seats, which translates into cash, which is the bottom line.

So where was everybody on Saturday? Only 1,000 people at the biggest Houston volleyball match ever? No wonder volleyball is considered a nonrevenue sport.

Although the lack of respect given to Houston volleyball hurts me as a fan, people, including the team, must realize that in the big dance, the two R's are inseparable.

Revenue and respect are Siamese twins in the high-stakes world of sports. Unless Houston can draw consistently, it'll never be considered the equal of UCLA, Stanford or any other volleyball blue-blood school from the other coast.

Walton said his team needs to "thump" Florida and top-seeded UCLA, then people might start opening their eyes. But Cougar sophomore setter Sami Sawyer – who coincidentally is from California – said, "but even then, they'll say we're a fluke."

In a way, I'm glad Houston has gotten little or no respect from the rest of the volleyball world.

Walton seems to have his team thinking that no matter what they do or who they beat, nobody will give them the credit they deserve. The only way to conquer the nonbelievers is by beating everybody and winning the national title.

Besides golf, no other Cougar team has won a national title.

If they do win, maybe miraculous things will happen. Can you imagine if the PAC-10 offered UH an invitation to join the conference? Maybe not, but wouldn't it be nice for other schools to fear a Houston team for a change?

Peña is a Daily Cougar staff writer and the Cougars' volleyball announcer.

CLARK LEADS UH, FINISHES FOURTH

The Houston swim team, in Austin for the University of Texas Invitational, was led Saturday by diver Olivia Clark, who finished fourth in the 3-meter diving competition with 479 points.

Clark, a senior from Cheltanham, England, competed in the World Finals this summer and was the only Cougar to score points at last year's NCAA Championships.

The meet, which hosted men's and women's teams (the Cougars only have a women's team), was dominated Saturday by teams from Arizona and California. In 14 events, USC, Arizona, Stanford and California combined for 11 titles.

The Cougars do not compete again until Jan. 4, when they will be in a four-day competition in Austin in the All-American Invitational. Southwest Conference competition begins Jan. 21, when Houston hosts Texas A&M.

ICE STRIKES BACK

CUBE'S <I>B-SIDES<P> STRONG

Love him or hate him, you cannot ignore Ice Cube, without a doubt one of popular music's most provocative artists.

Through five recordings and a score of guest appearances and side projects, Cube's metamorphosis as a musician and performer is among one of the most striking. He returns, in a way, via a new release that captures very deftly some of his lesser known work.

<I>Bootlegs and B-sides<P> is just that – B-sides off several singles, remixes and new songs from the former NWA leader and aspiring film mogul. Since his last record, <I>Lethal Injection<P>, the word in the hip-hop community has been that Cube has fallen off, lost his edge. Whether the grumbling will only get louder after this remains to be seen. <I>Bootlegs<P> is nice, but does it do enough for his defense?

Some of this work is classic Ice Cube. Cuts like "24 With An L," which was the B-side of "Check Yo Self" (single from <I>The Predator<P>) and the Staples Singers-laced remix of "It Was A Good Day" are filled with dense tones that might be well worth the cost.

The funky extended remixes of "You Know How We Do It" and "Check Yo Self" are great songs, even if said remixes are available already. However, the release gets bogged down in slow cuts that seem to go nowhere.

One of the new songs, "Robbin' Hood (Cause It Ain't All That Good)," is a fantasy of jacking rich folks in the suburbs. Yet it was Cube, on <I>AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted<P>, who already presented similar rhymes nearly five years ago. Fortunately, it is followed by a slightly awkward, but still solid remix of "What Can I Do," a single from <I>Lethal Injection<P>, that seems to slow down at points, but is, all-around, a meaty cut.

Some confusion can be said of the other new track, "You Don't Want To Fuck Wit' These," which doesn't say anything really new from old Cube rhymes – a real anomaly for an artist who has always grown on each record. "2 In The Morning" is another out-of-place cut, whose sex-oriented rhyme seems foreign to the style Cube has been doing for a few years. The underlying sexual-liberation theme seems like an interesting twist, but it is not fully realized.

Cube gets his second wind on the remix of "Lil' Ass Gee," from <I>Lethal Injection<P>. The groove is just ominous enough to make you listen a second and third time. The dark side has always been a place where Cube is best, weaving rhymes of squalor, cold-blooded killings and fear, and he soars here, in a tale of youth, guns and lives moving too fast.

Cube turns in an equally impressive job on the fat and fiery "My Skin Is My Sin," the B-side of "Really Doe" (single from <I>Lethal Injection<P>), in which he manages to shred the pope, miseducation and White Aryan Resistance founder Tom Metzger in one cut.

Cube keeps the one-two jabs flying on the searing, anti-pig "U Ain't Gonna Take My Life," originally the B-side of "Wicked" (single from <I>The Predator<P>). Over a sample borrowed from En Vogue, he smoothly rhymes: "Just because you got a badge/Did you think Ice Cube was gonna wave the white flag/Cracker please/You can yell 'freeze'/I'd rather die standing up/Than die on my knees ... But when I saw Rodney/It got me so hot/Made me want to go out/And pop me a cop." This kind of song is where Cube excels – talking back, playing the rebel. He's got the edge here.

The <I>Bootlegs<P> wrap-up is somewhat redeeming. The remix of the controversial "When I Get To Heaven" is suitably juicy, even if the chorus is terribly annoying. The final cut, "D'Voidofpopniggafiedmegamix," is a montage of some of Cube's most famous and infamous songs from all his records, from <I>AmeriKKKa's<P> "Once Upon A Time In The Projects" to <I>Injection<P>'s "Ghetto Bird." It is bound to be club fodder, which may not be all that bad. The track is a trip down memory lane for any Cube fan, and it really flows.

As a package, <I>Bootlegs<P> is a good primer for fans who may not already own the singles and B-sides. The new songs alone are not worth the purchase, but some of the remixes are definitely a plus.

The record can be uneven, and it most certainly isn't retrospective of Cube's whole solo career – there's sparse material from his early solo EP, <I>Kill At Will<P>, for instance – but <I>Bootlegs<P> is not a bad purchase otherwise, even for the casual fan.