UH SYSTEM REJOICES AFTER LEGISLATIVE VICTORY

AUSTIN – After facing a possible $24 million cut in state funding, UH and System administrators were all smiles Wednesday after news that the UH System would only lose a marginal amount of money in overall funding.

The original Legislative Budget Board recommendation projected UH would lose almost $23.7 million for the new biennium. Last biennium, UH took an $8.5 million loss.

After UH System leaders waged an extensive legislative campaign, the Senate appropriations bill, article III, showed only a $296,842 overall cut.

Once again, the holds harmless account saved the university from taking a large funding cut with a 70 percent increase over last biennium to more than $14 million.

Formula holds harmless accounts are monies the university holds, but that the Legislature can take back should the need arise. Last biennium's holds harmless account was left alone.

In this new biennium, UH is slated to lose $11 million, or 4 percent in formula funding, which is a process of determining funding based on enrollment and semester credit hours.

UH's enrollment has declined since the last biennium, and the LBB's formula funding figures reflected the drop.

Because formula funding is based on a combination of semester credit hours and enrollment, UH has historically had problems because it has a nontraditional student population – working and older students, who do not take as many hours as traditional college students.

Another possible hazard for UH is line-item funding, which may be cut by as much as 20 percent in the Senate version of the bill.

The Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education convened to hear testimony on why the LBB recommendations should change or remain at the present level.

After an introduction from state Sen. J.E. "Buster" Brown, D-Houston, UH Chancellor Alexander Schilt and Beth Morian, chair of the UH Board of Regents, testified, highlighting UH's contribution to the Gulf Coast region and the importance of an urban university.

"Our primary goal, system-wide, is to respond to the demographic revolution going on today in the state of Texas. Over the long term, we seek to raise the college-going rate of Hispanics and African Americans to equal those of the Anglo population," Schilt said.

Both Schilt and Morian also made numerous references to public accountability – a subject of recent controversy at the main campus.

Several senators and representatives from the Harris County delegation voiced their support for UH.

State Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, also sat on the House Appropriations Committee last biennium and will, in all likelihood, do so again.

"Our task is really to convince members who don't live in urban areas to understand the importance (of UH)," Coleman said.

Other members of the House echoed Coleman's sentiments. State Rep. Talmadge Heflin, D-Houston, added, "I think the University (of Houston) is making its case with the (Higher Education) Coordinating Board.

"I think a strong commitment has been made, and I expect the Legislature to fund at the same level."

Schilt was almost ecstatic about the hearing and the bill.

"It's impossible for anyone to look at where we started and say it was not a success," he said. Schilt and other System administrators have been under fire from some UH faculty for their apparent inability to do well in the funding process.

UH President James H. Pickering said the Legislature has finally recognized the importance of Houston and the Gulf Coast region in general.

Some administrators were optimistic, but tentative about declaring victory.

"We're ahead and euphoric, but we have to be the ones to maintain the intensity," said Elwyn Lee, UH vice president for student affairs and special assistant to the president for governmental affairs, after reminding a board meeting of deans and the president's executive committee of the Oilers' loss to Buffalo in the ’93 playoffs after leading by 31 points.

In fact, the House appointments have yet to be made. The bill will surely undergo several changes before it is finally agreed upon by both houses in a conference committee.

"There may be glips along the way. You can expect the emotional roller coaster to continue. It's part of the legislative process," said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

FACULTY BASH UH SYSTEM AT BOARD OF REGENTS MEETING

Issues of accountability, abuse of power raised

With allegations of taxation without representation, faculty voiced their anger concerning the relationship between the UH System and its campuses at a Dec. 19 subcommittee meeting of the Board of Regents.

The issues raised by faculty will be addressed in a management audit of the System that will take place at a later date. The meeting was the first step in the process of bringing accountability to the UH System in its relationship with campus units.

The regents subcommittee, comprised of Beth Morian, chairwoman of the Board of Regents; John Cater, former chairman; and regent Vidal Martinez heard testimony from more than 16 faculty from at least three different campuses. Newly appointed regent Elyse Lanier also attended.

At issue is the role of the UH System in light funding cuts and a perceived lack of interest in UH's academic programs during a time when some faculty feel they have been ignored by both the administration and the System.

During the 1993 biennium, the Texas Legislature handed UH an $8.5 million cut, stimulating speculation of how the System would handle the current legislative session.

UH faculty were also upset that in fiscal year 1994, UH provided 81.2 percent of all System funding while only receiving 20 percent of the vote in System matters.

"UH is suffering from the common UHSA position that the UH System consists of five equal parts," said Giles Auchmuty, chairman of the Faculty Senate Budget Committee.

Auchmuty's committee questioned the existence of the System itself, regarding "its present vision and goals, described in its FY 1994 plan, as diffuse and inappropriate," he writes in a document of proposals and questions to be addressed in a management audit of the System.

Political Science Professor Kent Tedin, representing the Coalition for Excellence, a group of 52 professors who have waged a semi-public battle over the role and alleged abuses of the System and the UH administration, cited the "White Paper," a 1987 report by Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the College of Social Sciences; UH President James H. Pickering, then-dean of the then-College of Humanities and Fine Arts; and Robert Knauss, former dean of the UH Law Center.

Named after then-Governor Mark White, the report was characterized as a "slashing indictment" against the System that questioned the role of the System after the governor vetoed the proposed UH budget in 1987. These same issues that moved Pickering, Rodgers and Knauss to write the 1987 paper are the same reasons why the regents called the Dec. 19 meeting – the first time the regents have ever met with the faculty directly.

Much of the current controversy surrounds the treatment of Rodgers when Pickering had then-Provost Glenn Aumann fire Rodgers as dean.

The coalition and Rodgers have publicly denounced the UH administration, citing Rodgers' firing as an example of how insensitive the university administration has become toward UH faculty concerns. The Coalition has publicly demanded Rodgers' reinstatement, but Pickering has steadfastly stood behind his decision to remove Rodgers.

"The way things are currently structured, we can't do anything," Tedin added.

Yet the meeting wasn't just an opportunity for faculty to vent their frustrations; it was also an opportunity for faculty to propose their ideas for restructuring the System.

Many faculty proposals asked for structural changes in the System, including budget cuts and bureaucratic restructuring.

"I'm sure they wouldn't be happy; there would be some degree of hesitation – we're asking quite a bit," said William Fitzgibbon, professor of mathematics and chairman of the Coalition for Excellence, in reference to the proposal the coalition made to the board.

The proposal asks for an examination of the System's domination of UH and how other systems treat their flagship campuses; how and why the System treats each campus as equal; why the System has grown while faculty at UH have decreased; and why the System has the ability to reallocate dollars appropriated for UH to the other campuses.

However, both sides of the foray cited this meeting as a step in the right direction with Morian echoing the sentiment. "I think we are all on the same side," she said.

Fitzgibbon added, "It's a start. Things move slowly, but (the meeting) is very important – It's the first of its kind."

But Chancellor Alexander Schilt defended the System while also commending the value of the meeting, "Most of the (System) budget is (used for) expenditures for services for the campus.

"It's a question of getting people to understand the services – Are they delivered? Is there duplication?"

UHPD INVESTIGATES PARKING AND TRANSPORTATION

STUDENTS ALLEGE PERSONNEL CHARGED FEES FOR FREE SERVICES

by Nita Gonzales

The UH Police Department is currently investigating complaints against a Parking and Transportation employee, alleging he charged students for free car-assistance services.

The investigation began after a student reported being charged for a Dec. 15 jump start. Soon after the first complaint, another student reported being charged for a flat-tire change.

There have been no arrests or charges filed in the case as the investigation is ongoing. However, one student has identified a parking-enforcement employee in a photo line-up.

As a free service, Parking and Transportation provides minor car assistance to students, faculty, staff and visitors. Jump-starts, tire changes, retrieving keys from locked automobiles and shuttle service to and from local gas stations are the services provided by the department.

"They (Parking and Transportation) do minor motorist assistance," UHPD Lt. John Heron said. "If your car needs something more than that, they are not going to have the equipment or the expertise to help."

When dealing with Parking and Transportation for car assistance, no money should be exchanged, Heron said.

"The only time you have to get money out is to pay for the gas when you get to the station or if a wrecker towed your car," he said.

Leaving keys in a locked automobile or getting a flat tire is a common occurrence, Heron said. But no matter where you need assistance, if any security or assistance employee asks for money for any service rendered, "be wary and don't pay a charge," Heron said.

Currently UH police are looking for others who might have paid fees for free car services. Anyone with information should contact UHPD at 743-0600.

Parking and Transportation was not available for comment.

FACULTY SENATE ELECTS OFFICERS

The election of new officers for 1995 was the major concern of the UH Faculty Senate when it met Dec. 15.

The Senate elected a new president, Karl Kadish; a new secretary, Janet Chafetz; and two members at-large, Angela Patton and Robert Palmer, for the Senate Executive Committee. Six positions on the Committee on Committees went to Wallace Anderson, David Papell, David Mailman, David Shields, Judy Myers and Anthony Collins.

The most interesting contest was the race for president. The candidates were Kadish, professor of chemistry; Gordon Johnson, professor of mathematics; and Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communications. Kadish and Johnson were nominated by the Senate Committee on Committees, and Rodgers was nominated from the floor by Palmer during the last Senate meeting.

Finding people to run for president is not easy, current Faculty Senate President Ernst Leiss said.

"It has been surprisingly difficult to get people to run for that job, and apparently, it's getting increasingly difficult," he added. "There are a number of reasons. The job has become more political and more time-consuming. You get no relief from your teaching duties. There are no incentives, only disincentives."

Leiss estimates that during his one-year term, he spent between 70 to 80 hours each week between his teaching duties, his research and his Senate obligations.

"I'm not unhappy that it is just a one-year term," Leiss said. "This year will be easier on my family, and I will have more time for my research program."

Leiss also said that traditionally, the nominees for president are expected to have past experience as a member of the Senate Executive Committee.

Sen. George Reiter, professor of physics and chairman of the Committee on Committees, agreed with Leiss that finding candidates was difficult this year. He said some potential nominees refused to be considered for the post.

"We look for people with experience in the past on the Executive Committee," Reiter said. "It is not a formal prerequisite, but we try to look at those people."

Some members question the validity of statements that claim members were nominated, then refused to run.

Palmer, a Cullen professor of law and history, remembers the same problem cropping up during last year's nominating process.

"That's what they told us last year. Bill Cook (chairman of the Committee on Committees in 1993) told us that people were nominated and then refused to run," Palmer said. "I don't know if that is the case this year. I know I wasn't asked to run and neither was Harrell Rodgers."

JANUARY A BUSY MONTH FOR UH OFFICIALS

Three meetings scheduled in January will receive close attention from UH faculty, administration and staff.

The first meeting began last week as the Texas Legislature convened for the 1995 session. At stake for UH is state funding the university needs to retain quality faculty members, hire highly qualified new faculty members, provide expanded student services, continue existing programs, add new programs and, ultimately, prepare the university for the challenges of the year 2000 and beyond.

UH officials and financial officers from the other state-supported colleges and universities in Texas spent much of the latter part of 1994 worrying about possible cuts in state funding amid rumors of increasing budget restraints the Legislature will likely face.

The second meeting, which UH faculty, administration and staff will watch closely, is a meeting of the UH System Board of Regents Ad Hoc Committee, scheduled for Thursday.

The committee, composed of Board of Regents Chairwoman Beth Morian and UH regents John Cater, Vidal Martinez and Elyse Lanier, is studying proposed changes in the organization and management of the UH System, including some suggestions that the System should be dismantled or radically changed.

The committee held a public hearing Dec. 14 at the UH Hilton. Speakers from the UH faculty, Faculty Senate and administration addressed the committee and presented written proposals.

Since Dec. 14, the committee has been reviewing both the written proposals and the oral testimony to try to identify the primary issues and problems facing the university system.

Thursday's meeting, which is open to the public, will be a final systemwide opportunity for any concerned people to outline their positions and offer their perceptions of what the committee should study and what changes might be needed in the System or System management.

The committee will report its recommendations to the full Board of Regents at the next regular board meeting on Feb. 16.

The third pivotal meeting will be the first 1995 meeting of the UH Faculty Senate on Wednesday, Jan. 25.

The Faculty Senate will install new officers for 1995 and will vote on proposed changes in the Faculty Senate Constitution and by-laws.

The group will also hear a report from a group of ex-presidents of the Senate who have been meeting with UH President James H. Pickering in November and December trying to iron out differences between the administration and the faculty following the 1994 dismissal of Harrell Rodgers as dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

The Faculty Senate will be led this year by newly elected President Karl Kadish, professor of chemistry.

4-36-1

HOUSTON POSITIVE DESPITE 3-11 START

Don't panic.

This motto is well-known to Douglas Adams fans, but now applies to the Houston Cougars 1994-95 basketball season as well.

Following an 8-19 season that contained a promising 6-4 finish in 1993-94, the Cougars are once again looking at an uphill journey to the postseason and respectability after a 3-11 overall beginning, 0-2 in the Southwest Conference.

"Our goal is always to win it," head coach Alvin Brooks said of his team's SWC chances following an 87-76 loss to Rice at Hofheinz in both teams' conference opener Dec. 11.

But the Lamar product and former assistant under Pat Foster, who is in his second year at the helm of the Cougars, has a more realistic prospect in mind, since Hakeem Olajuwon most likely won't be granted an extra year of eligibility.

"We want to try to have a chance midway in the race to be in the top half of the league and then see what happens," Brooks said.

"We're not out of it yet," sophomore guard Willie Byrd said. "There have been teams who lost a lot of games (to start) and came back to win it."

One such team was the 1992-93 Texas Tech squad, which finished with a 6-8 conference record only to bump off Houston in the SWC Postseason Classic final that year and earn a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Texas Christian recently dampened UH hopes further, however, by gunning its way past Moore's 33-point, 19-rebound effort to a 106-92 victory in Fort Worth Saturday.

Moore's outburst tied a career high for points in a game, set against Baylor last season and also tied versus James Madison this year. His 19 boards, 11 offensive, were a new career mark.

So far the Cougars have been outshot .467 to .428 by opponents and have hit eight less 3-pointers than their foes, despite taking 45 more shots from behind the arc.

"Our primary problem right now is offensively, we are trying to get some people to step up and give us some more offense in addition to Tim Moore," Brooks said.

"Right now, we rely on him far too much."

Indeed, the scoring charts add credence to Brooks' assertion. Moore has been the Cougars' top scorer in 11 of the team's 14 games and led in rebounds 10 times.

Overall, the junior forward is averaging 20 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. Unlike last year, when Anthony Goldwire was around to shoulder some of the scoring load, Moore is now on his own.

"We really need some better interior play, and that's got to come from Galen (Robinson) and Kirk Ford," Brooks said. "If we can get those two to elevate their play, we've got a chance to beat some good teams."

The freshman Robinson (7.1 points, 3.1 boards) has been inconsistent, his best game being a 14-point, seven-rebound performance against Houston Baptist Dec. 19. Ford (7.6, 4.1), a transfer from Midland Junior College in Lafayette, La., has made nine starts and become a key player in the frontcourt.

As far as beating good teams, Houston has played home games versus USC, against which the Cougars blew a 17-point lead to lose by six, and Colorado, which beat UH by 19.

Road losses have come from a 14-point defeat at the hands of a Top 25 Arizona team and a 19-point blowout by potential future conference opponent Memphis.

"Alvin has played a difficult schedule," Texas Tech head coach James Dickey said of Houston's season. "UH has a lot of young players."

It would be impossible to talk about the Cougars' season to date without mentioning the all-freshman starting backcourt, which has graced the floor seven times this year.

Tommy Davis, out of Crenshaw High in Los Angeles, and Damon Jones, from Galveston Ball, have been a sign of the future at point and shooting guard respectively.

The 5-8 Davis has quickly become a fan favorite with his ability to push the ball upcourt, reminiscent of such sub-six-foot greats as Spud Webb and Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues.

Meanwhile Jones has bombed away from the outside, shooting better from 3-point land (35-of-100) than on two-point attempts (10-of-34).

"For freshman guards, they give you about as much as they can give you," Brooks said of Davis and Jones.

Davis said, "I like our (conference) chances because, I guess it still hasn't happened yet, but like everybody says, once we come together as a team, we're gonna be a hell of a good one."

*******************************************************

2 1/2-24-1

LOADED RAIDERS HUNTING HORNS

by M.S. Ameen

With all five starters returning from last season, Texas Tech jumps into the Southwest Conference foray as the expected victor, predicted to replace Texas as the top dog of the conference.

Both senior guard Lance Hughes and junior forward Jason Sasser should supply offensive sustenance, as they did in 1993-94. In addition, senior swingman Mark Davis leads the Red Raiders in scoring (16.7 per game) and rebounding (9.1 per game).

Despite the returning lettermen, Tech's 6-6 record (1-1 in the SWC) may be more a reflection of a rigorous schedule than of a veteran squad. With tough losses to quality opponents such as Wisconsin, Temple, and Arizona (each by six points or less) the Raiders could still be considered formidable. Even a humbling 83-68 loss to perennial NCAA Tournament guest star Kentucky could be swallowed.

However, a 90-77 loss to Montana State Jan. 7, followed by a 90-80 defeat against Texas A&M in the two schools' SWC opener at College Station, have called Tech's resilience into question.

"We didn't play very good defense," Tech head coach James Dickey said concerning the A&M game. "We just didn't play hard enough."

Despite leading the SWC in rebounding and having the second-best scoring defense, Tech's offensive output is considerably down from last season. The Red Raiders are second-to-last in 3-point field goal percentage.

Could it be that the pressure that comes with being labeled the team to beat in the SWC has rattled the concentration of the Red Raiders?

"We just don't have very good team chemistry," Dickey said.

Dickey has tried to find the right mix by altering his starting lineup of late. Sasser and Hughes have been benched recently in favor of junior transfer guard Jason Martin and freshman center Tony Battie, who had a pair of double-doubles in his first two starts.

3-20-1

GRADUATION HURTS A&M; WILBERT PICKS UP SLACK

by Roslyn Lang

The 1994-95 Texas A&M Aggies are running in the middle of the Southwest Conference pack after losing three starters from last year's team that tied for second in the conference with a 19-11 record.

The loss of last season's senior guards David Edwards and Chuck Henderson hurt the Aggies, but the team is rebuilding around senior forward Joe Wilbert, who averages nearly 22 points a game and leads the SWC in field goal percentage (.605).

The Aggies have also felt the loss of forward Brett Murry. In addition to scoring in double digits and contributing about seven rebounds a game, Murry added another dimension to the team with his passing ability.

A&M (7-9, 1-1 in the SWC) must count on leadership by example from the seniors to win games this season. Senior guard Corey Henderson, and senior forwards Wilbert, Tony McGinnis and Damon Johnson have stepped up as those leaders.

Before the season, Barone said this year's incoming freshmen were the most athletic group he's had since he took over as A&M head coach in 1991.

Like Houston, the Aggies have started an all-freshman backcourt at times this season to compensate for departed seniors. Kyle Kessel is a six-foot point guard who is sixth in the conference with nearly five assists per game and Waseem Ali is a 6-4 defensive stopper.

A&M defeated SWC-favorite Texas Tech 90-80 Wednesday with both freshmen starting. Kessel had 10 assists, but it was the 38 points from Wilbert that buried the Red Raiders.

Saturday the Aggies’ weaknesses were apparent as they lost to Texas 115-82.

3-30-1

TWIN TOWERS, 3-POINT BOMBERS

3-18-1

Inside-outside game makes contenders of Aggies

Texas A&M has combined enormous frontcourt size with a 3-point-bombing offense to become a serious contender in the Southwest Conference women's race this season.

The Lady Aggies (10-4, 1-1 in the SWC) have been ranked in the Top 25 all season, but a 100-76 loss to No. 7 SWC front-runner Texas Tech Wednesday left first-year head coach Candi Harvey with doubts about her team's abilities.

"We're not as good right now as compared to last year," Harvey said. "I'm sure it's because of a change in coaches and the way the team is trying to learn the new coaching system.

"We're not as polished."

The Aggies looked much better in a 75-61 defeat of perennial conference powerhouse Texas on Saturday.

Harvey replaced 10-year Aggies coaching veteran Lynn Hickey, who became A&M's Senior Women's Administrator, as head coach during the off-season after a 4-year stint at the helm of the Tulane women's program.

She inherited a pair of gigantic 6-5 post players in juniors Kelly Cerny and Martha McClelland, who combine with 6-2 Marianne Miller to give the Aggies one of the largest frontlines in the nation and by far the largest in the SWC.

Both players are in the top five in the conference in blocks and as a team the Aggies rank second in rebounding.

"(Our size) has been a positive because of things like rebounding and blocks," Harvey said. "At other times, it's not been a positive. We've had some matchup problems where some teams have countered with their quickness against our size. That has hurt us, like it did against Tech."

The Red Raiders starting baseline threesome of Connie Robinson, Tabitha Truesdale and Michi Atkins drove around the Aggies frontline all night and lit them up for a combined 54 points.

Most of A&M's offense comes from their guards. Junior Lisa Branch, a short (5-4), quick point guard who appears to be the female equivalent of Isiah Thomas or former Aggies men's point David Edwards, leads the team with 17 points per game, an SWC-best 7.0 assists per game and a 3-point percentage of .367. Sophomore Lana Tucker is a 3-point bomber who has taken as many as 10 treys in a single game this season.

2-24-3

TUBBS OF FUN FOR TCU AS THOMAS, NEW COACH LEAD HORNED FROGS TO 2-0 START

It is late March, and purple finally seems an appropriate color for the Texas Christian Horned Frogs. Final Four MVP Kurt Thomas tearfully climbs aloft to cut down the nets after a 101-92 triumph over the defending champion Arkansas Razorbacks in the national title game.

Wishful thinking? Looking a bit far ahead? Yes, perhaps both are true. But the hiring of highly-touted former Oklahoma head coach Billy Tubbs to head the Frogs (10-4 overall, 2-0 in the Southwest Conference), along with the early scoring numbers posted with his run-and-gun style, have TCU fans in just such a delirious state.

However, a tough conference schedule is underway, bringing an end to the Frogs' string of cream-puff non-conference opponents. Fairfield, Midwestern State, Middle Tennessee State and Illinois-Chicago, all TCU victims, won't be coming around again.

"When you win, people always try to find something wrong with what you're doing," Tubbs said of his pre-SWC season. "We'll be able to compete in the Southwest Conference."

Texas Christian opened conference play with a 102-98 win over Texas, proving Tubbs correct. The Frogs' coming-out party continued with a 106-92 rout of Houston Saturday in Ft. Worth.

Tubbs, who compiled a 333-132 record while at Oklahoma, making one NCAA championship appearance in 1988, is already leaving fingerprints on his latest team. Thomas, the senior center, is posting stats reminiscent of a Stacey King or Wayman Tisdale, both former Sooners under Tubbs and current NBA players.

"Offensively and rebounding-wise, he (Thomas) fits our system like a King or a Harvey Grant or some of those people," Tubbs said.

So far, Thomas is first in the SWC in points (28.4) and rebounds per game (13.9), ranking nationally in both categories. Small forward Michael Thoele and point guard Jeff Jacobs are second and third in three-point shooting at .456 and .443, respectively.

2-24-2

HOGG, BEARS PUT BOWERS' SITUATION OUT TO PASTURE

While not as earth-shattering as those of its male counterparts, the Baylor Bears women's basketball team has undergone some changes since last season.

Sonja Hogg replaced Pam Bowers as head coach after Baylor fired Bowers for the second time. She was originally fired in May 1993 because, according to Baylor, she was not running her program properly. She was reinstated three months later, but fired again last March, with the university citing her losing record (168-257 over 15 seasons) as the cause.

Bowers, who submitted a list of 10 potential NCAA rules violations in the men's program to Baylor last November, filed a federal lawsuit against the school and four of its top officials April 6.

Hogg comes to Waco after an 11-year head-coaching stint at Louisiana Tech, in which she compiled a 307-55 record, including a 34-0 national title season in 1981.

"We've put (the Bowers situation) way behind us," Hogg said. "It's not something we dwell on."

The Bears (9-5, 0-2 in SWC) are also without the services of their leading scorer from 1994, Mary Lowry (23.2 points per game), who transferred to Tulane.

"She was not here when I arrived, so I don't miss her at all," Hogg said.

She added that the absence of Lowry has allowed the other players on the team to step up.

Post Amber Seaton (14 points, 9.7 rebounds) and senior guards Kristin Mayberry (SWC-best .481 3-point percentage, 4.5 assists per game) and Kelli Donaldson have raised their level of play and led the Bears to a school-best 9-3 nonconference start.

The quick start has the Bears confident, but not overconfident, Hogg said.

"This team just needed some confidence, period," she said. "They haven't had a winning season in 10 years. This little team is capable of doing better."

"Little" is a good word to describe the Bears, who have no player taller than 6-1. This lack of size wasn't a problem in the preseason, as Baylor led the SWC in rebounding (45.3) during nonconference play.

But if a 74-62 loss to SMU in both schools' conference opener Wednesday, in which the Bears were outrebounded 57-42, is any indication, their lack of size may become a problem.

"It's a little difficult for us to guard 6-4 and 6-5 people," Hogg said.

Texas Tech grabbed 50 boards to Baylor's 35 in Saturday's 82-62 Lady Raider's victory. The Bears also had a difficult time stopping Tech's pair of 6-1 post players, Michi Atkins and Connie Robinson, who combined for 43 points.

MUSIC MANIA

UH OFFERS NEW KIND OF MUSIC CLASS

by Frank McGowan

The University of Houston School of Music is offering students the opportunity to merge their musical talents with the latest computer technology in classes examining electronic music.

"The technology has been evolving over time. The music industry has increasingly been moving toward computers," Professor Reynaldo Ochoa said.

Ochoa, an adjunct professor in electronic music, teaches an introductory course that utilizes the software program <I> Finale <P>, aiding students in the time-consuming process of musical notation.

Rather than note a piece by hand, students play the composition on an electronic keyboard linked to a computer. The <I> Finale <P> program allows the computer to replicate the piece in standard musical notation.

A musical instrument digital interface (MIDI) links the keyboards to the Macintosh computers. MIDI acts as a translator, which permits the keyboards and computers to communicate with each other.

An advanced level class, "geared toward music education majors," is also taught by Ochoa. The class deepens the ties between musicians and technology, allowing students to use computers and conventional recording equipment to produce their own compositions.

Although computers are relatively new to the music industry, Ochoa says today's students need to be familiar with the latest advances in technology.

"Computers have invaded commercial music. If you go to any studio they have electronic editing software," Ochoa said.

Ochoa used the <I> Finale <P> program to help record, edit and produce <I> The Rainmaker's Helper<P>, which was played in last summer's <I> Sounds Like Fun <P> series performed by the Houston Symphony.

"I was initially able to present them with a completed tape of the piece with a written score," Ochoa said. "That way, they instantly understood what the piece sounded like."

Even though computer programs like <I> Finale <P> are useful tools, Ochoa says they do not substitute ability. He emphasizes that what you get out of them is only equal to what you put in.

"There's no way you can replace talent," he says. "The computer's just there to make our job a little easier."

HISTORY IN THE MAKING

BRIDAL EXPO EXHIBITS AFRICAN AMERICAN FASHIONS

by Lady Oliver

Houston made history this weekend by hosting its first annual "Distinctive Brides of Color Bridal and Fashion Show" on Sunday, January 15 at the Stouffer Hotel.

"Today marks the beginning of another milestone for African Americans in Houston, Texas," Allen Dave, owner of 21st Century Productions, Inc. said.

21st Century Productions, Inc. presented this event with the theme, "Africa to America: An African American Bridal Journey" after six months of preparation.

"What you have seen here today was Allen Dave's vision," Venetia Peacock said. Peacock, the owner of Innovative Sitters, and a University of Houston Psychology graduate, served as executive director of the expo.

"This particular weekend was chosen to hold the expo because of its cultural significance to the African American community," Peacock said.

"This event is for everyone. It's a lesson in diversity. I hope today is an enlightening and uplifting experience," Peacock said.

The expo consisted of more than 35 vendors ranging from caterers to photographers and wedding consultants. Realtors and investment counselors were also on hand.

A fashion show displayed a variety of exotic gowns in traditional African fabrics and designs. It also featured traditional wedding gowns, tuxedos and dresses for the bride's mother. The show was conducted like a play with several of the models lip- syncing humorous dialogue.

There was never a dull moment. Entertainment was scheduled throughout the day and seminars and an art gallery kept the expo's guests informed and entertained.

If you missed the one here in Houston, you will have the opportunity to see it in Birmingham, Chicago, Dallas, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Louisville, Oakland and Shreveport when the show goes on the road later this year. It's tentatively scheduled to go to Dallas next month, Peacock said.

When Peacock was asked what one word describes this event, she responded ... "Phenomenal!"

<I>LEGENDS

OF THE

FALL<P>

FAILS

When a film spanning three generations has Oscar winning actors, heartthrobs, picturesque landscapes and beautifully designed sets, it has the potential of becoming a legendary epic. However, even with all of these elements, TriStar's <I>Legends of the Fall<P> simply falls short.

Director Edward Zwick's <I>Legends<P> tells the tale of a Colonel and his three sons growing up at the turn of the century in Montana. Sir Anthony Hopkins once again gives a stellar performance with his portrayal of Colonel William Ludlow, a retired officer who resents the United States government for its treatment of the American Indians. So he tries to escape the government's rule by building a ranch in the remote Montana foothills. However, he does not bargain for a few significant problems, such as his wife not being suited to the cold, lonely winters. Fortunately, the Colonel has the help of his friend, One Stab, a Cree scout, played by Gordon Tootoosis.

The Colonel's eldest son, Alfred, played by Aidan Quinn, knows his duties and is eager to fight to protect his family, especially his youngest brother, Samuel. Henry Thomas, of <I>ET<P> fame, plays Samuel, an idealistic youth who wants more than anything to become a hero.

However, it is Brad Pitt who steals the show with his portrayal of Tristan, the second son. Tristan is untamable and stubborn, like his father. In his father's eyes, he can do no wrong. Tristan is searching for himself, but hurting those who love him most on the way.

With his devilish grin and sorrow-filled eyes, Pitt fits the role of the wander lust son perfectly. However, Pitt has so few lines it is hard to sympathize with the suffering Tristan, even when he is experiencing his deepest personal turmoil.

Trouble enters the Ludlow household in the form of the beautiful Susannah Finncannnon, played by Julia Ormond. Susannah is engaged to Samuel, but she captivates each of the Ludlows, including the Colonel with her charm and vitality.

There is nothing new about this storyline, adapted from the novella written by Jim Harrison. It is predictable and drags on for 133 minutes. Many of the scenes are run through quickly since the movie takes place from the American Indian wars to Prohibition. It is an epic film, narrated by One Stab, with little dialogue. The dialogue that is used, is dramatic and filled with Indian philosophy.

This epic romance aims for greatness, but it is not legendary. It is a western combined with an overdone romance that would be typical of a made-for-television Danielle Steele story.

However, for the scenery alone, <I>Legends<P> is worth viewing. It was filmed in Calgary and Vancouver and the landscapes are breathtaking. What the film loses in the plot it makes up for in scenery and intense acting, especially on the part of Hopkins.

PALOMINOS ROPE IN A HIT

by Jim Presnell

The Golden Palominos works as a sort of revolving super group centered around percussionist/producer Anton Fier.

At times, its roster has included such alternative rock superstars as Syd Straw, R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, ex-Cream drummer Jack Bruce, Sex Pistols/Public Image Ltd. frontman Johnny Lydon and many more.

Currently, the roster boasts such heavyweights as bassist Bill Laswell and the legendary Bootsy Collins on rhythm guitar.

Where its other albums have been sort of variety showcases for talented players, the two recent releases offer more of a steady diet of atmospheric pop rock. This newest offering takes a cohesive approach. It isn't quite a concept album, but it isn't far off, either.

Featured prominently here are the ethereal and understated, undeniably beautiful, flowing vocals of Lori Carson. Carson acts as the glue in this collection of musicians.

All the songs, even those more demanding in premise than the usual love song fodder, carry a haunting beauty that can only be hinted at in the words of an article such as this. <I>Cover Magazine<P> said of the previous release <I>This is How it Feels<P>, that transcendence now takes a major role in Golden Palominos recordings, "going beyond the limitations of word, mood, or form."

Where a song such as "Little Suicides" could turn out quite depressing, Carson makes it uplifting simply through the strength of her convictions and her user-friendly delivery. She sings of the futility of dying to make a point: "All these little suicides / They hardly make a mark / I can take these fun-house rides / I'm a natural in the dark..."

Carson and Fier, along with guitarist Nicky Skopelitis, have written most of the songs here. The nine tracks run about 50 minutes. The smoothly rhythmic instrumentation and the relaxing quality to the vocals may initially divert attention away from the actual words. The lyrics turn out to be rather demanding, such as in "No Skin," a Carson/Fier composition wherein Carson sings, "Everyone I see is missing something ... You wouldn't notice I have no skin..."

No compromises are made with the thematic material used to make up these songs. The song "Gun," for instance, takes a view of love that is dark and desperate, just the way many of us have come to know. Carson sings, "I thought you could bring the sun / But I might as well use a gun / I'm dying inside..."

A well-made album with surprising depth, the newest incarnation of Golden Palominos will appeal to those who like their pop with a big helping of atmosphere.

KICK OVERINDULGENCE IN THE REAR WITH NEW REVOLUTIONARY PROGRAM

by Jim Rusk

Whether you devoured the last piece of pecan pie, drank one too many champagne toasts or once again exceeded your credit limit, 'tis the season to overindulge and feel guilty.

If this sounds like a litany of your sorrows, take comfort. Help may be as close as the nearest bookstore.

For the past 15 years, University of Houston Psychology Professor Carlo DiClemente has surveyed thousands of Houstonians to understand the struggles involved with kicking bad habits.

The results, combined with research from two other leading psychology professors, are detailed in a new book designed to help people successfully rid themselves of addictive and problem behaviors.

Whether it's fighting depression, quitting smoking, losing weight or improving personal finances, <I>Changing for Good<P> outlines six stages of change to help people curb their destructive urges.

"This book is the culmination of years of our research studying thousands of individuals who have struggled and succeeded in making changes in problem behavior," DiClemente said. "We've learned that the secret is not just hard work but doing the right things at the right time during the process of change."

The book shares the experiences of many of the individuals who took part in the studies. These real-life situations allow readers to understand their own situations, gain insight into some of the problems they will face and learn how to overcome them and move to the next stage of behavior modification.

The book describes six stages: pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance and termination.

The book, subtitled "The Revolutionary Program that Explains the Six Stages of Change and Teaches You How to Free Yourself from Bad Habits," was released this summer by William Morrow and Co.

DiClemente's co-authors are James O. Prochaska, Ph.D., from the University of Rhode Island and John C. Norcross, Ph.D., from the University of Scranton.

During the past 12 years, the three psychologists have conducted more than 50 studies on "self-changers" -- people who made lasting changes in their lives without therapy.

Their six-stage model has been recognized worldwide and has been adopted by organizations like the National Cancer Institute and the National Institute for Drug Abuse.

DiClemente has authored three books, has been published in about 60 scholarly articles and has been awarded more than $14 million in research grants.

GET YOUR PASSPORT TO CULTURAL EDUCATION -- STUDY ABROAD

by Sarah Fredricksen

As the world "goes global," language and cross cultural communication skills are becoming important prerequisites for many academic programs and professional opportunities. EF International Language Schools, headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, refers to these skills as an "educational passport."

With nearly 30 years of experience in language training and cultural exchange, EF offers year-round European language courses to match a variety of academic and professional needs. Over the past five years, EF and other study abroad organizations have seen a significant increase in the number of students of all ages interested in their programs.

In response to this interest, EF has launched new programs including a semester in Barcelona and customized educational tour and language course combinations for college students. These programs are offered in addition to EF's summer programs for high school and college students.

Many EF students specifically comment on the international student body as one of the strongest aspects of the program. Rebecca Nelems, an undergraduate at the University of Toronto said, "EF's program in Barcelona let me learn Spanish and meet students with similar interests from all over the world. Many of the other programs I looked into were limited to students from North America."

Often students have a keen interest in learning a language but they or their parents have reservations about traveling abroad to do so. According to Frances McLaughlin, Director of Admissions at EF, typical concerns include distance, cost, program quality and safety.

She recommends that students look at many different programs, such as the study abroad programs offered at UH, and talk with professors, advisers or returning students before making a decision. They should also study such publications as <I>Transitions Abroad<P>, Peterson's <I>Summer Opportunities<P> and <I>Study Abroad<P>. "Ultimately, our students feel that the benefits of study abroad far outweigh any initial concerns they had," McLaughlin says.

The Director of EF International Sprachschule in Munich, Dr. Jurgen Oehler, agrees. "I strongly believe that the total immersion experience greatly accelerates the learning process and cannot be compared to the much slower rate of learning in a classroom in the student's home country."

Whether a student enrolls at a school in France or Spain, EF provides quality instruction, modern, safe facilities and carefully selected homestays in a supportive, multicultural setting. All aspects of their program are arranged by EF, including a full schedule of classes, accommodation, meals, social activities, flights and other transportation.

EF welcomes inquiries from students, parents and teachers interested in learning more about their "educational passport." The admissions staff can advise students on courses as well as other programs offered in Europe and around the world. Admissions officers are available during the week from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST at 1-800-992-1892.