USER-UNFRIENDLY ACTIVITIES INVADE DATA SUPERHIGHWAY

INTERNET SPORTS OBSCENITY, THREATS

by Andy Alford

Cyberpunks beware! Though the information superhighway may resemble the Old West, with its vast frontiers and unrealized potential, lawless and unsupervised it is not.

"We like to keep tight control on what goes on in our systems," said Thomas J. Monroe, a UH Information Technology Support Services supervisor who acts as UH's "cyberpoliceman." He said that what is done on the UHnet can result in the university losing its Internet privileges. "Censorship is a concern," he added.

With computers and networks becoming more and more accessible to society, one shouldn't be surprised that the Internet is becoming infected with society's ills. Pornography, racial and sexual harassment, junk mail and death threats may all be found on the net.

Monroe warns that the bulk of abuse of Internet privileges by students encountered on the UHnet stems from students sharing their passwords with each other and with nonstudents. These renegade users are now free to run rampant on the net.

They often leave obscene and inflammatory remarks on net billboards, Monroe added. Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semitic material, for example, plagues the screens for any user to read.

Monroe attributed much of the abuse to students just out of high school.

These students welcome a medium where they can freely express themselves, and sometimes go too far.

They feel less inhibited by their consciences because "there's no one to actually see them," Monroe said. They feel removed from the people they affect with their language because there's no one to look them in the eye.

UHnet abuse can be detected and remedied by checking the user logs – a job Monroe does routinely.

Disciplinary action ranges from suspension of student accounts to formal disciplinary reviews that could result in expulsion from the university.

Most students correct inappropriate behavior when caught, but "we get a few that are slow to catch on," Monroe said.

Outside users and anonymous electronic mail pose a greater risk. Users slip in and do their dirty work, without feeling any ramifications for their actions.

Although there have been no such occurrences at UH, other Texas colleges have encountered extreme cases of on-line violations.

A Stephen F. Austin University student threatened the lives of President Clinton, his wife and daughter in an e-mail message. The student plead guilty and faces up to five years in prison.

In addition, a Texas A&M University professor received death threats last October after racially offensive e-mail was sent to colleges in four states using his stolen password.

UH journalism and communication Professor William Linsley said the current federal legislation can do nothing to regulate Internet activity. "However, there are some Texas obscenity laws that may apply," he added.

The Internet is the largest computer network in the world. It started out in 1969 as a U.S. Department of Defense project that was developed by the Advanced Research Projects Agency.

Then known as the ARPANET, the network utilized computers located on four different college campuses in Utah and California. Over the years, ARPANET merged with other networks and became the Internet. The growth of the Internet has been phenomenal. There were approximately 200 computers on the Internet in 1981. That number grew to 300,000 in 1991 and now, just three years later, researchers estimate the number of computers on the Internet to be more than 3 million and the number of users between 20 and 50 million.

*******************************************************

REGENTS TO SCRUTINIZE UH SYSTEM'S STRUCTURE

The question of exactly what the UH "flagship" campus is, as well as the question of what will become of the System that evolved from that concept, continues as the UH Board of Regents once again prepares to receive a report that will help determine the future of the organization and management of the University of Houston System.

The UH System today is much different from the loose coalition of four university campuses that made up UH in the 1970s before the System was formally recognized by the state Legislature in 1978, said Beth Morian, UH Board of Regents chairwoman.

"It certainly has evolved over the years," Morian said. "It's a lot different place from the institution my granddad supported back in the '30s. It's even a real different place from the institution my dad supported in the '60s when it became state-supported."

Morian's grandfather, Hugh Roy Cullen, was one of UH's founding fathers and the first board chairman. Her father, Corbin J. Robertson, was also on the board. Needless to say, the Cullens have been integrally involved with UH.

Today, the System is the center of much controversy as it has been since its inception. UH was founded in 1927. Over the years, the university grew from a single campus to one school on four campuses.

UH-Clear Lake was authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1971 and opened for regular classes in 1974.

UH-Downtown was also founded in 1974 when UH acquired the assets of South Texas Junior College. It was approved as a separate four-year unit of UH in 1975.

UH-Victoria opened for classes in 1973.

In the years preceding the formation of the System, debate raged at UH over the designation of the central campus as a "flagship campus."

On March 5, 1975, the UH Board of Regents received the results of the "UH Mission Self-Study," a report commissioned in the mid-1960s to study the school for 10 years and provide recommendations for the future of the university.

Despite noisy protests by students from the Student Coalition Against Racism, who marched outside of the Ezekiel Cullen Building using bullhorns to send their message to the regents, then-UH President Philip G. Hoffman presented the report to the board along with his personal recommendations.

The report called for several changes in university policy, including an enrollment ceiling of 30,000 students, relocation of the Department of Business Technology to the downtown campus and cutbacks in some programs for Hispanic and black studies.

At that time, Max F. Carmen Jr., a geology professor and a member of the committee that prepared the report, said, "The report was an attempt to show that UH was a progressive university with comparable courses, faculty and facilities as other universities. In 1966 (when the committee began work on the report), UH was still trying to demonstrate it was more than 'Cougar High.'"

The report was highly criticized by SCAR and then-State Representative and later U.S. Rep. Mickey Leland, who blasted the report, calling it an attempt to "create an academic monastery which doesn't relate to what we need in our community."

Leland threatened to use his legislative powers against UH if the report resulted in limiting minority enrollment.

UH students at the time seemed rather unconcerned about the report, although one senior, quoted in The Daily Cougar, labeled it an "asinine way to look at education."

The flagship concept was eventually adopted, but the administration and the regents backed away from cuts in minority-education programs.

UPPC TO START OFF SEMESTER WITH LONG-TERM PLANNING

Cougar News Services

The University Planning and Policy Council will hold its first meeting of the spring semester from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday in the UH Hilton's Mobley Room.

The agenda for the meeting includes a discussion of the UH self-study plan and a follow-up report on reshaping, in addition to other business.

The self-study plan, which is under the direction of social work Professor George Magner, is an attempt for the council to review the purpose and mission of the university and offer assessment of the school.

The goals listed for the self-study plan are: to provide an overall view of UH, enhance communication among all constituents of the university, examine UH against the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools for the upcoming accreditation, examine the mission of UH, assess the school and look ahead to the school's new challenges in the next century, and advise UH on upcoming issues.

Magner will be aided by the Steering Committee of the UPPC, which is chaired by Professor Judy Myers. She is also chairwoman for the UPPC.

The Steering Committee played a role in revising last year's six-year plan for the university.

YOU WANT SPORTS?

4 UH teams to play this weekend

From Cougar sports staff reports

The first big weekend of the spring semester for UH athletics begins Saturday, as four Cougars teams compete in three different sports in three cities in one day.

Texas A&M is the opponent for three of the four events.

The women's swimming and diving team (0-4) takes on its Aggies counterparts at 1 p.m. Saturday in the UH Natatorium and the Lady Cougars (6-8, 1-2 in the Southwest Conference) are home in Hofheinz against No. 22 Texas A&M (11-4, 2-1) at 7 p.m.

The men's basketball team (3-12, 0-3) travels to College Station to battle the Aggies (7-10, 1-2), and the indoor track team is in Baton Rouge, La. at the Lousiana State Opener.

The Lady Cougars are coming off a 96-65 shellacking from Texas Tech in Lubbock Wednesday night. The Lady Raiders' frontcourt threesome of Connie Robinson, Tabitha Truesdale and Michi Atkins combined for 59 points against Houston.

A&M's frontcourt is larger than Tech's. The Lady Aggies' Martha McClelland and Kelly Cerny are both larger than 6-5.

"A&M is more than just big. They have a lot of quickness on the perimeter and have a balanced attack. But they are the biggest team, size-wise, we'll face this year," UH head coach Jesse Kenlaw said.

Senior diver Olivia Clark and junior swimmer Alex Heyns are expected to lead the swimming and diving team, but senior diver Donnelle DuBois's availability is questionable for the meet.

Heyns will swim the 1000-meter freestyle and Clark will dive from the 1-meter and 3-meter boards.

"She should do real well," head coach Phill Hansel said of Clark.

The men's basketball game vs. A&M at G. Rollie White Coliseum is scheduled for a 3 p.m. tipoff. The game will be televised locally by Raycom (Ch. 11).

The Cougars will be trying to snap a seven-game slide. The Aggies have dropped their last two to Texas and Rice after opening SWC play with an impressive victory over Texas Tech.

The men's and women's track team opens the indoor season at the LSU meet.

With UH's legacy of exceptional sprint teams, head coach Tom Tellez promises positive things from the whole team.

"We have probably the best team, overall, we've had in the last few years," he said. "We have more depth from the quarter mile down.

"Both (men's and women's teams) will be much improved from last year. We have some outstanding athletes who will do great this year."

COC GAINS POPULARITY

by Chris Stelmak

Corrosion of Conformity will break into a heavy metal frenzy tonight at the International Ballroom, putting true metal fans into musical bliss with songs off of its latest album, <I>Deliverance<P>. The group is finally getting the publicity it deserves.

COC put on a great show at the Abyss back in November and is now returning to play with Megadeth.

The heavy metal, hardcore and punk band, COC has been around for more than a decade. After opening for such popular punk bands as The Dead Kennedys and DOA, the group released its first album, <I>Eye for an Eye<P>, in 1983. After releasing three more albums and opening for Prong, Slayer, Soundgarden, Danzig and many other famed bands, Corrosion of Conformity was ready to work on its latest album, <I>Deliverance<P>.

Woody Weatherman, the lead guitarist, plays hard low riffs that are sure to cause a moshing at concerts. Pepper Keenan adds to the music with guitar and lead vocals, and his deep voice is perfect for a metal band of this calibre. The bassist, Mike Dean, accompanies the guitar with an equal amount of heavy complex rhythms. The drums sound basic at times, but are played well by Reed Mullin.

COC's latest album contains several heavy, almost violent songs like "Heaven's Not Overflowing" and "Deliverance," with just a couple of soft instrumentals like "Without Wings" and "Mano De Mano." You might even be lucky enough to hear "Albatross" or "Broken Man" or COC's latest single, "Clean My Wounds," on the radio.

COC will be rereleasing two of its albums this month, <I>Technocracy<P> and <I>Bling<P>. Expect great music and an active crowd tonight at the International Ballroom. COC will put on an awesome show for most hardcore metal fans.

What: Megadeth, Corrosion of Conformity concert

When: 8 p.m. Friday

Where: International Ballroom,

14035 South Main

How much: $20