BOOKSTORE RENOVATIONS SHORTEN LINES, ADD SPACE, REDUCE WAITS

by Robert Schoenberger

Long lines at the UH bookstore may be a thing of the past as a result of last year's renovations, according to Barnes and Noble General Manager Paul Sirianni.

This semester's check-out line wait averaged 15 minutes, an improvement over last year's half- hour lines, Sirianni said. "The spring semester is always slower than the fall, but this year, both went better than we had hoped."

Barnes and Noble, the company contracted by the university to provide a student bookstore, supplied the funds and layouts for the renovations, Sirianni said.

"It's definitely more efficient than it has been previously," said Assistant Manager Waleed Alhamra. "Barnes and Noble has expert architects working for them who know the needs of a university bookstore.

"Now we have more room for textbooks. They now take up more than 25 percent of the total space," Alhamra added. "We took some space from the post office and shortened the service counter."

There were 30 cash registers in operation during this year's rush period, Alhamra said, adding that the six extra registers made the three-week period more manageable.

To accommodate the six new registers, two new phone banks were added, Sirianni said. School supplies were moved away from textbooks and placed where student lines are formed. According to Alhamra, this not only saves space, it also lets students get in line before they finish their shopping.

Students have responded well to the changes, Sirianni added. "I had almost no complaints this semester about lines," he said. "The students, the university and the bookstore are all tied together. I want to make shopping more convenient for them. I want them back (as customers)."

Most of the 15 students interviewed said the bookstore has improved. "I used to think of book-buying as a pain, but this year, it only took me an hour," said senior Hotel and Restaurant Management major Terry Walters.

"I can't stand to wait in lines, so it was worth the pain of last year's construction," added senior English major Traci Garner. "It was significantly faster this year."

"I moved straight through the lines," said sophomore music major Carter Huff. "I just transferred here from the (University of North Texas), and it's a lot worse up there."

Some students are still skeptical. "I bought my books about a week and a half before classes started," said senior biochemistry major Adrienne Darhower. "I've gotten smarter over the years on when to shop."

*******************************************************

UH SYSTEM OFFICIALS POISED FOR FUNDING FIGHT

Expectations are high for Wednesday's state House Appropriations Subcommittee meeting, when UH System officials will face off with legislators as Texas' public universities fight for funds.

"We're prepared like we were before. Nothing we're doing is any different, but we have more knowledge of the appropriations requests because we've had more than 24 hours," said Andrew "Skip" Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning. UH's January presentation to the Senate Finance Subcommittee came only 24 hours after it received a copy of the appropriations bill.

The Senate bill, which is the same as the House's right now, called for a drop of more than $200,000 from UH's funding last biennium, which gave UH almost level funding.

Last biennium, UH took an $8.5 million loss.

But Grover Campbell, vice chancellor for governmental relations, while optimistic, said, "I wish we knew exactly what to expect."

At issue, Szilagyi said, are two things: the impact of the major riders -- line items toward the end of the bill that affect different levels of state money -- and looking ahead for future funds.

"We are concerned about the impact of the riders," he said.

Rider 138 requires UH to pay its retirement programs and optional retirement programs in order to help save the state $114 million this biennium. UH must use money other than the general revenue fund (unless the salary is paid from the GRF).

Rider 135 requires UH to give the state the salary money of a UH employee once an employee leaves UH. The rider also stipulates that UH must not have any more full-time equivalent employees by Feb. 26, 1996, than it had in number during fiscal year '94.

According to Rider 137, the state will cut its contribution to state employees' share of Social Security; these provisions would apply to anyone hired after Aug. 31, 1995.

Social Security is a required federal tax and must be paid by either the employee or the employer.

No state funds have been granted for state employee raises in the bill.

Szilagyi added that the UH delegation will be looking for additional funds to provide for raises, something UH President James H. Pickering promised faculty during an October 1994 Faculty Senate meeting.

Campbell said the friends of UH on the Appropriations Committee and the unification of the Harris County delegation have helped UH get into the bill process early, and anticipates the same kind of support Wednesday.

"The good news is we've got some real good friends on the subcommittee," Campbell said in reference to Sylvester Turner, D-Houston.

Campbell said he expects the delegation members to show their support for UH, much like they did during the January Senate meeting, where several senators answered questions for the UH System.

The list of potential questions for UH Chancellor Alex Schilt and Beth Morian, chairwoman of the Board of Regents, the two who will represent UH, are to be technical and varied, Campbell said.

Everything from ethics to admissions to teaching loads and tenure track professors will be asked about, he said.

But Campbell said it is too early to tell the final outcome.

In conference committee, where five representatives and five senators meet to iron out the differences in their versions of the bill, the bill ultimately will be written, Campbell said.

CLASSICAL INDIAN DANCER PERFORMS, CAMPAIGNS AGAINST DRUG ABUSE

Cutline: Shri Indravadan Trivedi, a classical Indian dancer, poses with one of his "foot dancing" creations.

Cougar news services

Shri Indravadan Trivedi, a classical Indian dancer, performed foot-painting dances Friday in the UH School of Theatre as part of his personal campaign against drug abuse.

One of the paintings shown was a snake eating its own tail. This is analogous to drug abusers destroying themselves, Trivedi said.

Trivedi has taken his six-year anti-drug campaign to Chicago, New York, San Francisco and for the last two years, Houston. Trivedi said he created foot-dancing as a way to convey messages of peace, friendship and world unity in dance media. He said his next painting will comment on the futility of war.

Trivedi has 25 years of experience as a Kuchipudi dancer, a puppeteer and a modern dancer. He tours area high schools and teaches classical Indian dance at a local Hare Krishna temple. Trivedi will perform again at UH sometime in April and at Rice in October.

He also has travelled world-wide, visiting places like Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong and China, among others.

UH AREA POISED FOR IMPROVEMENTS

THIRD WARD REDEVELOPMENT COUNCIL BEGINS PLANNING

The Third Ward Redevelopment Council has become a primary link between the neighborhood around UH and investors.

The council was designed to provide the greater Third Ward area with a comprehensive plan for developing investment and prosperity.

Although the plan has yet to be officially drafted, the council has already fostered investment from three banks and several real estate developers, and the city is finally repairing the roads.

"My concern is that the community doesn't get the shaft," said Deloyd Parker, executive director of the SHAPE community center and a board member of the council.

"We've been planned, but we have not been in the planning," he added.

But Parker, a 30-year resident and community representative, hopes this time, things will be different.

The Council has specific links with everyone from banks to artists, attempting to ensure the historical and cultural relevance of Houston's primary African American community.

"(TWRC) definitely has some interesting bed partners. It's very unusual that all these parties (have come together)," Parker said.

It also attempts to foster the "renewal of human capital," said Elwyn Lee, UH vice president for Student Affairs and special assistant to the president for Public Affairs.

Lee represents UH on the council.

Founded on an initiative by Texas Southern University, the council has helped change UH's image in the eyes of the community, Lee said.

"Still, there's work to be done. Although our final plan is not done, we have some redevelopment groups already working," he said in reference to developers who purchased an apartment complex on Scott street and refurbished it.

"The plan should be up and running by spring," Lee added.

On the council are a total of 43 representatives from different organizations, including the Urban League; the Community Artists Collective; MLK Jr. Community Center; Texas Commerce Bank; NationsBank; state Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston; TSU; UH; Holman Street Baptist Church; the NAACP and many others.

"The theory is this: If you have a plan, people will coalesce around it," Lee said. The emphasis is on 20 years from now, he added.

Parker focused on maintaining adequate representation for the Third Ward, adding, "The jury is still out. A lot has to be done.

"Each party is playing a role that is admirable."

He also said the Third Ward Community Cloth, another organization for the development of the neighborhood, keeps its ear to the post, and that this group "is going to be around when there is no money."

3-30-1

COUGARS TEEING-UP FOR 17TH TITLE

3-18-1

UH GOLF OPENS SEASON WITH NO. 4 PRESEASON RANKING

by Jeffery K. Holderfield

Almost 40 years after its first season, the Houston Cougars golf team is striving towards an unprecedented 17th national title. With some fresh faces, four returning lettermen, a Wilson pre-season coaches poll ranking UH No. 4 in the nation, and a new head coach with a flair for recruiting great talent, there could be a rebirth of the rich winning tradition of Cougars golf.

"It's a big responsibility, carrying on the tradition built by (former Cougars coaches) Dave Williams and Keith Fergus," he said. "Our goal is to win our 17th title.

"This is still a top-25 program. In golf, if you already have a solid foundation, you can bring in a couple of good, young players and go from the top-25 to the top-10."

The solid foundation that Dirks is referring to is seniors Anders Hansen and Chris Borgen, sophomores Brad Schilaab and Lawrence O'Neil, and redshirt freshmen Jeff Burns and Chad Wellhausen.

Hansen, a native of Denmark, is the team's No. 1 golfer and a third-year letterman, who won the Fresno/Lexus Classic this fall -- his third collegiate win. He also took second place in the Harvey Penick Intercollegiate, propelling the Cougars to first place in that tournament.

During the 1993-94 season, Hansen had four top-10 finishes, and shot a five-under-par 67 to lead the Cougars to win the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate.

Borgen, another returning two-time letterman, came out red hot this fall, posting two top-10 finishes. One of those was his career best fourth-place finish in The Woodlands Intercollegiate, where he fired a three-under-par 69 to begin the tournament.

When Dirks said he was going to "bring in a couple of good, young players," he wasn't kidding. Dirks left his former position at Tulane with Lance Combrink, the Green Wave's No. 1 golfer.

In five tournaments played for the Cougars this fall, Combrink posted an amazing four top-10 finishes. The junior shot a nine-under-par 207 at the Red River Classic to take first place. During his two-year stint at Tulane, Combrink won three tournaments and was named to the All-Louisiana Intercollegiate team as a freshman.

Dirks said he feels the Cougars have a good chance of winning the SWC this season due to their 31-0 record in District VI competition. All SWC schools are located in District VI.

"If we get hot and our kids work hard, we have a shot at winning it all," Dirks said.

Stanford and Oklahoma State have been trading off the No. 1 position in the nation throughout the fall portion of the 1994-95 season.

The Cougars will be facing each team in three tournaments prior to the NCAA championship May 31.

Coach Dirks said he plans to hold fund-raisers at the three tournaments the Cougars are hosting this season -- the All-American Intercollegiate Invitational April 10-11, the SWC Championship April 24-25, and the NCAA Regional Championships May 17-20 -- so that the students, alumni and the gallery can meet this year's Cougars golfers.

"I want to familiarize the fans with the faces, not just the name," Dirks said.

The Cougars have looked impressive so far this season. In five tournaments they have posted two first-place finishes, a second, a fourth, and a sixth.

Monday at the PING Arizona Intercollegiate in Tucson, the Cougars (currently ranked No. 13) shot a four-under-par 572 to take fifth place after two rounds.

Hansen is seventh after two rounds, and leads the Cougars, with a two-under-par 71-69--140

Cougar sports services

contributed to this report

3-24-1

UH WOMEN GO FOR 5TH STRAIGHT VS. RICE

The Houston Lady Cougars will look to extend their season-long winning streak to five games when they take on the Rice Owls in Autry Court today at 7 p.m.

Houston (10-9, 4-3 in the Southwest Conference) took the weekend off following an impressive 82-67 victory over Texas Thursday night, in which Cougars guard Stacey Johnson scored a career-high 37 points.

Johnson currently leads the conference in scoring, with 22.3 points per game.

The victory for Houston was just the second win vs. the Longhorns in a 52-game series that dates back to 1975.

Rice (7-10, 4-3) also faced Texas in its last outing. However, the Owls dropped a 54-49 decision and have lost their last two SWC games after a 4-1 start.

"We've struggled shooting the ball," said Rice head coach Cristy McKinney, "and it has been more so than it's been all season."

But the game that helped fuel the Owls' quick start was an 88-87 victory over the Cougars in Hofheinz Pavilion during the two teams' first SWC game this year.

Rice junior guard Kim LaLonde threw in the game-winner, a turnaround eight-foot jumper, with just four seconds left and the Owls trailing 87-86.

"Rice did some things they needed in order to win and I don't think we were expecting them to come out like that," said Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw.

"I think you will see a different team (tonight)."

UH ALUMNA CONVERSE THROUGH ART EXHIBIT

by Lady Oliver

Three UH fine arts graduates have come together to create an art exhibit titled "A Conversational Piece," sponsored by the Houston Women's Caucus for Art, showing at the Firehouse Gallery at 1413 Westheimer.

Sabra Booth, Paula Shryne and Joni Zavitsanos put together this exhibit with the concept of women conversing through art.

The setting involves two rooms connected by a long hallway. The areas center around the theme of how women have communicated within society historically under institutional oppression, and currently in modern society.

The exhibit has something for all the senses beyond the visual, like an audio track for each part of the exhibit, which repeats as you walk through. Candles and incense burn to complete the total sensory experience.

The exterior of the exhibit has a courtyard area with a table and chairs where viewers can sit and write their conversations down.

The first section, by Sabra Booth, is called "Eighteenth Century Parlor." Each wall represents a different woman in the history of science who made contributions which have been overlooked or obliterated from the official "historical" records.

"The parlor points to the patriarchal hierarchy still prevalent in much of the sciences and to how history has been skewed along those lines," Booth said. Booth offers special thanks to UH Professor John Lienhard for an inspirational quote she heard during one of his lectures, "Crossing the Crinoline Wall," and his lecture on the history of women in science. His words gave her the inspiration for the creative images displayed in this current exhibit.

The "Hallway of Icons," by Jodi Zavitsanos, is set in a dark, narrow hallway lined with arch-shaped icons hanging on the walls. Each icon represents a woman who seems to be suffering from some sort of dementia. The hallway centers around hysteria and the internalized language of the mentally ill.

"Society today does not understand the mentally ill. Maybe they communicate on a higher level that we can't understand," Zavitsanos said.

The art is set up like an altar. The pieces are made of newspaper, wood, copper and other metals with one entire side of the hall lined with candles.

Above these altar-type presentations are various philosophical or biblical phrases. "Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive," is one of the phrases that may give viewers reason to pause.

The "Room of Miscommunication," created by Paula Shryne, is set in a room dimly lit with red lights. The walls are covered with 250 squares of sandpaper with red velvet showing from beneath. The sandpaper is painted with pictures of feathers and pillows, sledge hammers and diamonds, to show the contrast between opposites.

"I'm interested in conversations that are very deceptive," Shryne said. "I had a personal experience. Someone revealed something that was shocking."

Two mattresses decorate the floor, one crossing the other, with green peas scattered about. The video screen, as you pass through, displays tiny, hand-sized mattresses being stacked and unstacked. This parallels the story of "The Princess and the Pea." "The pea represents the covering up or revealing of the truth," Shryne said.

Since the exhibit addresses women's voices within society, the artists targeted one of the women's shelters in the Houston area to take part in the exhibit.

The women chose The Women's Home (formally Women's Christian Home), which met one night a week in January at the gallery for series of workshops that the UH fine arts graduates facilitated.

The women of the shelter created various mediums such as paintings, drawings and printmaking that were displayed on the gallery walls.

There will be a panel discussion on the exhibit today from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Firehouse Gallery.

GOING OVER THE EDGE WITH THE JINKIES

by Dave Manning

Rock 'n' roll is dead, or so we've often been told, but then there is the matter of The Jinkies, a brand new local band that served notice to the contrary in a recent show at The Edge Bar.

This band is a powder keg, a power-pop trio with the emphasis on power. It combines a big drum sound with amazing punch, blasting through thick layers of swirling melodies.

Lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist Carlos DeLeon gives the band a jagged, yet Beatlesque front. Meanwhile, the bass and additional guitar is played by Giancarlo Caffarena on a Chapman Stick, a 12-string instrument that has both bass and guitar strings.

Michael DeLeon, brother of Carlos, wails on drums, frenzied and piston-like.

For a three-piece, the band gets a full, jet-propelled sound. With a sneering Robin Zander-type style (Cheap Trick vocalist), Carlos DeLeon drives the songs with deft pop melodies, and Caffarena delivers solid backing vocal and harmony parts.

The Jinkies lore through the set, which began with a cover of "Back of a Car," by Big Star, former band of legendary pop-rock craftsman, Alex Chilton.

Not coincidentally, the Jinkies (named for an expression in a '70s Saturday morning cartoon) have the same kind of British pop sensibility as Big Star, minus the innocence and nonsense allowed bands of the '60s or '70s.

"People say it sounds like the Beatles and Cheap Trick on acid," Giancarlo said. "But it's just kind of got an edge to it."

Midway through the set, you could almost feel the residue of Seattle grunge come burning off your ears like a crusty layer of space debris on a NASA capsule.

These guys can play, and they seem to have fun doing it. Rarely will you see people get up and dance to a rock band at the tiny Edge Bar, but the joint was definitely rockin'.

Some of the original Jinkies' songs have titles like "All of my Friends are Rock Stars" and "Joanie and Chachi (Living in Sin)." Not only did the band put on a good show, but a diverse crowd really dug it, also a rare occurrence for Houston clubs where original rock 'n' roll is played.

The Edge Bar owner, Steve Smith, liked the band enough that he booked it every Wednesday in February, which is also unusual for an original music group.

It's also a good night for local bands, due to the lack of competition for entertainment dollars from touring acts.

"Things are happening surprisingly fast for this band," said Greg Pitzer, of Artist Management Group, who handles booking for the band. "People are calling and saying 'heard the band, liked them a lot, tell me about them,' " Pitzer said, which is uncommon for a new band, having only been together for 10 months. The Jinkies pair up with The Tragically Hip when it returns to Fitzgerald's next month.

Pitzer added The Jinkies have already garnered some record label interest and will appear on an upcoming Justice Records compilation of local sound, titled <I>Hell Hole.<P>

This group does not seem to owe allegiance to any particular industry camp. It appears to be consummate rock 'n' roll "outsiders" on the inside, with a blind eye turned to the "next-big-thing" mind set.

Remember the Replacements? The Jinkies have that same who-cares attitude about everything except the songs, mark of the genuine article.

I know, it's only rock 'n' roll, but these guys are feverishly pumping urgently needed life blood into the thing. The "creature" is alive and kicking.

Judge for yourself, any Wednesday in February at The Edge Bar, 2301 W. Alabama.