DREXLER COMES HOME

The trade Houston Rockets and Cougars fans had both been waiting for was announced Tuesday night.

Former Cougar, Olympic Gold Medalist and seven-time NBA All-Star Clyde "The Glide" Drexler is returning to Houston after a trade between the Rockets and the Portland Trail Blazers. Drexler and Blazers teammate Tracy Murray were swapped for longtime Rockets starting power forward Otis Thorpe.

Drexler, 32, will be reunited with former UH Phi Slama Jama teammate Hakeem Olajuwon.

"Clyde is in an elite group in this league," said Rockets head coach Rudy Tomjanovich during an interview on KTXH-TV, Channel 20. "He's an inside power. He's an outside player.

"When this was presented to us, it was just a deal too good to pass up, with all the other things: him being from Houston, him being an ex-teammate of Hakeem's."

Drexler, the 1983 Southwest Conference Player of the Year, helped lead UH to two NCAA Final Four appearances in 1982 and 1983. He holds the UH career record for steals with 268.

"I know Clyde is real happy to be coming here," said Drexler's college coach, UH basketball legend Guy V. Lewis. "He and Hakeem really respect each other.

"You can say I'm thrilled. I think it's gonna be super. I've got good vibes about it."

During the Rockets' run toward the 1994 NBA Championship, Houston met up with the Blazers in the first round of the playoffs, allowing Olajuwon and Drexler a brief chance to reminisce.

"(Clyde and I) have remained very good friends," Olajuwon told the Cougar before the playoff series. "But we have maintained our friendship at another level now."

After Tuesday's trade, there will be plenty of time to relive old Cougar memories.

Cougar sports staff writer Jason Paul Ramírez contributed to this report.

*******************************************************

PROF'S <I>ENGINES<P> RADIO SHOW MARKS 1,000TH KUHF BROADCAST

by James Aldridge

In the fall of 1987, UH Professor John Lienhard had the idea of creating a radio show that addressed the benefits of technology in society.

Lienhard, an engineering professor, broached the subject to John Proffitt, executive director of KUHF-FM 88.7, the UH radio station.

The result was a long-running radio series called <I>The Engines of Our Ingenuity<P>. It debuted Jan. 4, 1988.

Now the show airs twice daily on KUHF, at 7:35 a.m. and 3:50 p.m., and is carried by 31 stations, including ones in New York, Minneapolis, Detroit and Juneau, Ala., as well as by the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service.

The UH University Club and KUHF sponsored a luncheon Tuesday at the UH Hilton honoring John Lienhard and celebrating the 1,000th episode of <I>Engines<P>, which airs today.

Lienhard holds the distinguished professorship title of M.D. Anderson Professor of Technology and Culture, Mechanical Engineering and History and is the recipient of the Esther Farfel Award, which is the highest honor given to a UH faculty member.

In the crowded Hilton ballroom, Lienhard spoke passionately to an audience of faculty and listeners about his seven-and-a-half years of experiences with the radio show.

Lienhard thanked Proffitt, his colleagues in the engineering college and the UH librarians who helped him with the show. He said the librarians helped Lienhard to view issues in a way that he had not before.

"First, they helped me pick up pebbles. Now they help me move boulders," he said.

Lienhard said a June 1991 episode of <I>Engines<P> encapsulates the theme of the show and his philosophy. This episode is about African species of fish and about the specialized jaws some fish in ponds and streams have.

"There are 25,000 different species of fish, all with specialized functions. However, human beings have not specialized into different species. We just have minor differences such as skin color. We can hunt a rabbit and spear a fish, but we haven't specialized into fish catchers and rabbit hunters. This is because we share (food and resources) with each other," he said.

"Politicians say we live in a 20th century Sodom, and if we vote for them, they can save us. Murders-per-capita have not changed since I was a baby. We do keep evil in check. Every act of rudeness is countered by a thousand acts of kindness. I am seeing an essential goodness in people that we (as a society) are not seeing," he said.

Lienhard said if the average person on the street were asked about the problems in the world, he or she would say "crim" even though their neighborhoods may be safe. Lienhard blamed this perception of the world on the media, which gives the impression society is becoming worse.

Another perception Lienhard blamed on the media is the idea that technology is used for evil purposes. The media and the public borrow examples of inventions that are harmful to mankind to illustrate that technology is bad, he said.

However, many technologies are used for the betterment of mankind, he added. "Look at the materials in this room. You see lights. You see complex materials. Every part of your outfit is made by complex processes. Do you know how you got your shoes? A son of a Venetian slave figured out a process that allows the soles of shoes to be stitched on. That just cut the cost in half. We're surrounded by technology. It (technology) isn't atom bombs," he said.

Theresa Salinardo, a member of the University Club, said, "Many people in there were his listeners. They were just thrilled. We've been wanting to do this for a very long time. When we heard that this was the 1,000th episode, we sent out fliers to the whole campus, and KUHF put it on its daily bulletin," she said.

DELTA SIGMA PI SENTENCED TO PROBATION FOR HAZING

A University of Houston co-ed business fraternity was placed on probation for one year Monday as a result of violations of UH hazing policies during the 1994 fall semester.

Kathleen Anzivino, assistant dean of students, issued the

ruling after a disciplinary conference determined Monday that active members of Delta Sigma Pi were guilty of hazing pledges during "pledge education" sessions last fall.

After Monday's ruling, Anzivino said that while the disciplinary conference did not find evidence of racial discrimination or retaliation, there was evidence of hazing.

Anzivino added, "There were some allegations concerning sexual questions being asked pledges and actives that we found also violated the hazing policy."

In addition to the probation, the fraternity received a written warning indicating that future infractions will bring more severe penalties. Delta Sigma Pi must also review its pledge policies with campus activities adviser Doug Miller and sponsor a program on hazing for its group and other members of the university community.

Two former members of Delta Sigma Pi's fall pledge class, Shelanda Johnson and Maria Estella Gamboa, went to the dean of students in November and said they were victims of hazing, retaliation, sexual harassment and racial discrimination.

In addition to the hazing complaint, Gamboa charged that

James Webb, an active member, asked her sexually explicit

questions during a required pledge interview.

Gamboa said, "James Webb asked me, 'When was the last time you had sex?' And I have to answer because I was just a lowly pledge, and he was an active. I told him I didn't have to answer that, and he said, 'Yes, you do.'

"He also asked me, 'What is your favorite position to have sex?' I just said, 'Whatever.' I was just shocked."

In an open letter to the former pledge class dated Jan. 12, which was submitted to the dean of students, Webb wrote, "I specifically asked Estella what her favorite sexual position was."

Webb also admits the question was asked before Gamboa's pledge interview was completed.

Gamboa was dropped from the pledge class after she complained about hazing. The fraternity's statement said Gamboa was "unable and/or unwilling to address serious concerns in the proper way and acknowledge chain of command within the chapter; to demonstrate an ability to work for change in a positive manner; to demonstrate an ability to put issues aside, when

appropriate, for the good of the organization; or to demonstrate

an understanding of the proper use of the interview process."

Delta Sigma Pi also claimed Gamboa asked improper questions

during the interview process, disappeared during final interviews

and failed to attend a required event, the Pledge/Active Party.

Five of the 28 members of the fall pledge class were minority students. Three African American pledges -- Aaron Love, Robert Triggs and Johnson -- were all dropped from the class "for

cause," according to Delta Sigma Pi's statement. The fraternity's statement listed extensive violations of pledge rules in all three cases.

The remaining minority pledge, Claudia Castillo, a Hispanic, is now an active member of the fraternity. The fraternity's report said pledges were evaluated by an

"objective point system based on whether a pledge turns in required material and attended the required events."

Delta Sigma Pi's pledge point system -- two type-written

pages of complicated rules -- covers events, examinations and interviews pledges must attend, plus resumes and written material pledges must provide in order to be asked to be an active member of the fraternity. Each item is worth a certain number of points.

The system provides "bonus points" for things like writing letters to alumni, visiting the Delta Sigma Pi office, having lunch with a collegiate member or studying with a collegiate member.

Point deductions are possible for pledges who violate rules like "failure to wear a pledge pin, entering the office without knocking, or being in the office without a Brother present."

On Jan. 14, Delta Sigma Pi filed a written response to the

charges in which the fraternity "emphatically denied the allegations of racial discrimination and retaliation, while admitting that 'minor incidents of hazing have occurred.' "

The fraternity said it has "taken corrective action regarding these infractions and (is) taking measures to prevent any future infractions of the hazing regulations."

Included with the fraternity's report to the dean of students were written warnings to Clifford Moore, the current president of Delta Sigma Pi, and to members Michael Hahne and Webb.

Moore told The Daily Cougar that the fraternity "flat-out admitted the violations, but felt the allegations were misleading and exaggerated."

Moore admits active members showed "poor judgment."

Referring to the admitted violations, the fraternity's report said, "This chapter feels that these incidents were not the result of any malicious intent, but simply were due to a misunderstanding or an ignorance of the very general,

all-encompassing nature of the published hazing policy in which vagueness abounds regarding acceptable behavior."

The <I>UH Student Handbook<P> defines hazing as any action taken

or situation created which, regardless of intent or consent of

the participants:

•"Produces or is reasonably likely to produce, bodily harm or

danger, mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, fright, humiliation, or ridicule, or otherwise compromises the dignity of an individual;

•"Compels an individual to participate in any activity which

is unlawful and/or contrary to the rules, policies and regulations of the university;

•"Will, unreasonably or unusually, impair an individual's

academic efforts, and/or;

•"Occurs on-campus, or off-campus.

The handbook presents a final admonition to students in a

statement printed in bold type:

"All students are strictly

prohibited from engaging in any hazing activity."

Geri Konigsberg, director of UH Media Relations, said, "UH has very explicit rules and regulations in regard to hazing, and the university supports the active enforcement of those rules."

Delta Sigma Pi's "Manual for Pledge Education" defines

hazing as "any action taken, either intentionally or unintentionally, on or off the college campus, to produce physical or mental discomfort, embarrassment or ridicule."

The fraternity's rules also say "hazing activities . . . will not be condoned under any circumstances."

Johnson dropped her charges in January and said, "I had the discrimination charges, but I dropped them because I felt that I

wouldn't have gotten anything out of it anyway. They would just have had to watch a video about hazing. And I was putting more energy into it than I was ever going to get out of it."

On Monday, Johnson said she was surprised when she heard about the decision. "They said that this would be a preliminary hearing and that there would be another hearing later."

However, Johnson was not surprised by the disciplinary board's decision. She said, "That's what I thought would happen."

Gamboa said, "That was to be expected. Kathleen Anzivino

flat-out discouraged us from the beginning. She said the worst

thing that could happen to them, even if they admitted the hazing, would be the school would watch them closely. It's obvious the school is not going to do anything to them."

MEN, WOMEN VS. SWC LEADERS

UH-Tech set for rematch

When the Houston Cougars faced Texas Tech a month ago, matters were a little different.

At the time, Tech hadn't won a road game all year and was facing the Cougars in Hofheinz Pavilion, where the Red Raiders hadn't chalked up a victory since 1986.

Houston was trying to snap a six-game losing streak, which would eventually reach eight, before blossoming into four straight victories.

To put it mildly, both teams could have used the 'W', but it was Tech that prevailed 84-66.

"We weren't playing as well (then)," Houston head basketball coach Alvin Brooks said. "We weren't as cohesive a unit."

Although both teams' fortunes have been better since that first meeting, today's game (7 p.m. in Lubbock Memorial Coliseum) is still crucial to each team's postseason chances.

Houston (7-14 overall, 4-5 in the Southwest Conference), is tied for fifth in the SWC with Texas A&M, one game behind fourth-place Rice and two back of third-place Texas Christian, with five games left.

Tech, at 13-7, 7-2, is knotted with Texas at the top of the conference heap. They still have a game left at TCU, but head coach James Dickey isn't looking ahead.

"Our biggest game is always the next one, and that's against Houston," Dickey said.

It may be hard for the Cougars to forget how the Jan. 18 game went.

"They really shot it well here," Brooks said. "We had 20 or more offensive opportunities than they did, we just shot it poorly."

Bingo. Houston had 21 more shots and 14 more 3-pointers, but hit two less overall field goals and one less trey than the Raiders. The Cougars were outshot .596 to .382 from the floor.

But times have changed. Former lesser contributors such as sophomore swingman Willie Byrd, junior forward Kirk Ford and senior small forward Jessie Drain have all picked up their efforts in the last five games.

Forward Tim Moore has remained consistent, averaging 19.5 points, 10.4 rebounds and an amazing three blocked shots a game while hitting 51.3 percent of his shots. He has a chance to become the first Cougar since Dwight Davis in 1971-72 to average more than 20 points and 10 boards a game.

In adddition, the Cougars will have freshman Galen Robinson, a key substitute on the front line, available this time around. The 6-8, 250-pounder missed the first contest with a shoulder injury.

The Raiders have rebounded from a tough early-season start (6-6) to enjoy some success in conference play. They are a perfect 9-0 at home.

"We played too many games on the road to start the year," Dickey, who has played Temple, Wisconsin and Kentucky in unfamiliar surroundings this year, said. "Everyone's played better since conference season started."

ROAD WARRIORS

Next stop Edinburg for traveling Cougars baseball

by Richard C. Kroger

Starting its season with eight road games, the Houston baseball team's Texas tour continues today as the Cougars travel to Edinburg to play the Texas-Pan American Broncs.

The Cougars (1-2) are looking to improve their record with a two-game set against the Broncs, who have gotten off to a shaky 1-5 start this season and who won only 11 of 50 games last year.

UH head coach Rayner Noble said he feels good about his team's chances, but is quick to point out that "records can be deceiving." "The last victory for them came against a very good Texas A&M team at College Station," Noble said. "At this point we are still developing as a team and will not be taking anyone for granted."

Noble has decided to change his normal pitching rotation for the doubleheader, bypassing his No. 1 pitcher Bo Hernandez (0-1). On the mound for the Cougars will be senior Jeremy McClaughry and freshman Jon McDonald. McClaughry appeared in 12 games last year, surrendering 11 earned runs. McDonald takes the mound for the first time in a Cougars uniform after a solid 19-8 high school career at Humble.

Noble made the decision to alter his rotation in order to rest his best pitchers for the upcoming Winn-Dixie Showdown this weekend.

UT-Pan Am will counter with a pair of righthanders, Julian Urqueidez and Jody Moore.

"We played well Saturday at A&M," said Broncs head coach Al Ogletree, whose 1145 career victories in 27 seasons rank him No. 6 all time in NCAA Division I. "They had the tying and winning runs on base in the last inning with two out, when (reliever Stephen) Christoph got the save."

Houston is coming off a recent doubleheader split against Southwest Texas State in San Marcos, where the pitching was good but the offensive hitting was suspect.

"Our pitching has done well, but in order for us to win some games we have to have more consistent hitting," Noble said. "With some timely hits, we can play with anyone."

SOILMATES PLANT SEEDS OF LOVE

DON'T BE DATELESS NEXT VALENTINE'S DAY

If love is not in the air, it definitely is in the ground, at least for some of the members of Soilmates, an international correspondence network.

On Valentine's Day, 1993, sisters and co-founders Gracia Romer and Faith Wong conceived the idea of a dating service for single people who enjoy gardening. They started the network in June 1993.

"By starting this, we were hoping that our single friends could meet at a deep and spiritual level," Romer said.

Many of the members are simply friends with a common interest.

"I had seen some ads in Horticulture," Marla Patterson, a South Dakota veterinary technician student, said. "I thought I could find people with similar interests."

To plant the seeds of their love, members send Soilmates $30 a year (cheap as dirt), which pays for the eight-page quarterly newsletter, Stamping Ground. The newsletter includes everything from Fresh Picks, a garden literature review, to a prickly nettles column, which warns members about the problems of dating. Members can write letters to people they are interested in, and Romer and Wong forward the letter so that the members' privacy is protected.

Soilmates also receive bachelor's button seeds, which are associated with romance. Men would pluck it and wear it in their lapel. If it retains its blue hue when they meet a woman, their love is said to be "true blue."

Members also get to dig through the Secret Garden, which includes biographies on all of the members. Some of the information includes interests in gardening, occupation, age and whether a member is a vegetarian.

Not all of the people involved with Soilmates are gardeners. Some just fancy plants and flowers.

"People see gardeners as nurturers and want to be with a nurturer," Romer said.

Soilmates has more than 1000 members worldwide from New Zealand to the Philippines. Thus far, one couple who met through Soilmates has married, and there are a few couples who are living together or corresponding.

One of the more than 10 college students who are members of Soilmates, Becca Wilhelm, a 20-year-old junior at Hampshire College, joined the group a year and a half ago. She was proposed to by a man from Alaska, but turned him down. She joined the group because she thought it was a good way to find an internship in organic farming.

"We have forwarded a tremendous number of letters," Romer said. "We hear from people that they have had favorable responses."

Most of the members are in their 40s or 50s, but there have been members as young as 19, and even one in his 90s. It is an almost exclusively heterosexual group, but there are a few homosexual members.

For a membership application, write to: P.O. Box 9153, Ogden, Utah, 84409.

TAKING THE TOUR DE FRANCE -- BY STUDY, NOT BIKE

Foreign study programs are usually like frequent flyer miles – for enough money you might get to go somewhere.

But the UH Department of Modern and Classical Languages and its Eight Week Summer Program in Bourges, France, are stealing students away from other Texas universities, offering thousands of dollars in scholarships and even expanding its courses to include French university-level professors.

"I liked it. I had fun learning French," said Tony Ray, a lawyer based in Tyler who went on the program last year.

He was so impressed he donated a $1,000 scholarship.

"I knew a lot of people who were barely able to afford it – (the scholarship) tries to be there if a student needs help to go," he said.

He added, "I sure would recommend it!"

The program has expanded to include Business French, Structure of French Government and internships with some French businesses, adding to its original offerings of conversation, grammar and composition, literature and history.

"It benefits the student. It gives them the opportunity to get into another culture," said Julian Olivares, a professor and chair of the Department of Modern and Classical Languages.

"It gives us visibility and prestige," he added, noting the program's statewide draw.

While in France, the student lives with a family, takes meals with that family and studies at a municipal school of post-secondary education.

The courses are taught by UH professors and faculty at the college; students have the option of six or nine hours.

But these students have the opportunity to do something most programs don't offer – field trips are planned. The trips are:

• To two chateaux of the renowned Loire Valley as well as the adjoining villages.

• A one-day trip to the region of La Creuse, including a visit to the house of George Sand, the 18th-century writer who corresponded with, among others, Frederick Chopin.

• A weekend trip to the medieval city of Carcassonne, Rocamadour, home of the Black Madonna and Albi, the site of one of the most breathtaking cathedrals in the world.

Nina Tucci, a French professor and the director of the program, is responsible for the changes. Through her connection with the Houston Grand Opera, a performance will also be held for students and their adoptive families in France.

"I started last year with reviving (the program) because it was a dead thing," she said, remarking that she had to rekindle relationships to help bring more students and increase the smattering of courses.

Financial aid is another revamped aspect to the program.

There are private scholarships to be matched by the international scholarships fund, to which all UH students pay one dollar of their student fees.

There are also other funds available, like a room and board scholarship offered by a French family.

Students can also go to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to seek other need-based scholarships.

"We anticipate a large group which will allow us to offer diverse classes," said Arlene Oakley, assistant director of the program.

Students can call the Department of Modern and Classical Languages for information at 743-3007.

<I>JERKY BOYS<P> MAKES BETTER SOUNDTRACK THAN MOVIE

Kamal Ahmed (left) and Johnny Brennan (right) play phone pranksters who cross wires with mobster Peter Appel (center) in <I>The Jerky Boys: The Movie<P>.

Photo by Myles Aronowitz/Touchstone Pictures.

Stars: The Jerky Boys

and Alan Arkin

Director: James Melkonian

Stars: One

by Eric James

<I>The Jerky Boys: The Movie<P> -- the name says it all. Even with four writers (James Melkonian, Rich Wilkes, John G. Brennan and Kamal Ahmed), this movie never reaches a level beyond pathetic.

<I>The Jerky Boys<P> suffers from the same problems as do other films in this genre, such as <I>The Coneheads<P>. These ideas work well in small doses, but once you try to expand them beyond their 15-minute limit, they fall to the earth in a flame of stupidity.

This is a flashback movie. The film begins with Johnny Brennan and Kamal, the Jerky Boys, being picked up by the NYPD for causing unrest in the city of New York. They then continue on to tell the police how they came to be in their position, and it's not funny.

They begin as children where they make prank phone calls to everyone and anyone. We are supposed to believe that a small child who can barely articulate has the ability to trick a mother into believing that he is the superintendant across the way and is upset at her son, Brett Weir. If that scenario sounds familiar (from their first tape), it is.

The entire movie is made up of regurgitated jokes from their two tapes of prank calls. They even use dialogue taken from the other end of their conversations which they did not conceive.

To make a pointless plot short, they end up messing with the mob, who figure out they are not hitmen from Chicago but "two losers from Queens." Brett Weir (James Lorinz), coincidentally works for the mob and ultimately ends their charade.

The film continues on, using dialogue and situations straight from the Jerky Boys tapes. All humor comes from constant, grating, immature name calling. The jokes are predictable and the situations are not believable. It's not a parody, so it's not funny.

The <I>mafiosos<P> you would find in a John Hughes film and are stupid and annoying. The entire film consists of stereotypes played by actors who'd be trashed at an elementary school production.

The only decent part of this film is Alan Arkin as the head crime boss, Ernie Lazarro. He does his best with his part and is able to somehow add parody to this film when he comically recreates the mood found in the <I> Godfather<P> trilogy.

Save yourself from this movie, which ends as predictably and as moronically as it begins. Buy the tapes and enjoy the humor through that facet. Where they work nicely in the tapes, the same jokes in the film feel forced and unrealistic.

The movie is drivel, and if you are a fan, you've heard it all before. Listen to the tapes and save your money for a movie you would at least even be willing to show to the dumbest Neanderthal you know.

HUBBARD GIVES COUNTRY AN EDGE

Photo by Jennifer Jaqua/DejaDisc

Ray Wylie Hubbard weaves a mystical blend of country on his newest release.

by Sean Fitzpatrick

To remain vital, country songwriters have essentially two paths. Many of the new breed have taken the cue of Lyle Lovett and run for the borders, strapping on Strats (or big bands, in Lyle's case) and staking out unorthodox lyrical terrain.

The other option is to dig in deeper and mine a tired idiom for new significance. Ray Wylie Hubbard, along with Townes Van Zandt, Robert Earl Keen and others, sit squarely in the traditionalist corner and make old images shine with new meaning. <I>Loco Gringo's Lament<P>, Hubbard's latest offering, makes a strong case for staying put.

In places, <I>Lament<P> is mythmaking of the highest order. "I taught myself how to double-cut the cards and hold scriptures in my mind," Hubbard sings in "Dust of the Chase."

"Chase" and "The Messenger," the closing song, bookend the album with vivid takes on the conflicted man. Hubbard's hero "can't deny that heaven lies beneath a cotton dress," but quotes St. Paul and "believe(s) the word." Instead of criticism, Hubbard finds a mythic synthesis of divine and earthly and opens the way for redemption.

Hubbard's spirituality is shot through with a kind of mysticism born of Christianity but not necessarily lingering there. It suffuses the most poignant material, from the regrets of "Loco Gringo's Lament" to the character sketches of "The Real Trick," and boosts the familiar into the transcendent.

<I>Lament<P>'s weakest moments are its steps off that familiar turf. In younger hands, "Wanna Rock and Roll" and "Little Angel Comes A Walkin'" could go places, but Hubbard's voice is no match even for the muscle his restrained studio band musters.

Producers Lloyd Maines and Brian Hardin restrain pedal steel and hokey twang in the mix to emphasize Hubbard's lyrical subtlety. Delicate acoustic picking and restrained slide work complement Hubbard's sometimes shaky vocals.

Definitely worth the time.

1 1/2-18-1

TECH HURTING, UH ROLLING

Last Wednesday the poll-climbing then-No. 4 Texas Tech Lady Raiders were high atop the Southwest Conference, having won their first seven games of the conference season.

Tech's seventh conference win was also its 18th consecutive win overall this season.

But what a week it has been.

While trying to continue its undefeated conference season last Wednesday night, the Raiders were turned away 78-73 by then-unranked, now No. 23, Texas A&M in College Station.

And despite a 100-48 win the next time out vs. Baylor last Saturday, Tech (22-3, 8-1 in the SWC) still fell to No. 7 nationally.

However, no recent loss for the Raiders has been greater than the one suffered during the outing vs. the Lady Aggies.

Just 2:36 into the second half, Tech forward Connie Robinson went down with an injury.

A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test administered the following day revealed a torn anterior cruciate ligament and damage to leg cartilage.

Though the injury could keep Robinson out the rest of the season, the 1994 SWC Newcomer of the Year said she could return.

"Doctors are going to scope the leg on Friday," Robinson said. "Hopefully, it was misread last time."

Tech head coach Marsha Sharp said Robinson could even be back as early as the conference tournament, Mar. 8-11, but is ready for the worst.

"Certainly Connie being gone puts our conference situation into a new perspective," Sharp said.

The Houston Lady Cougars (12-9, 6-3) will be looking to add a little more to that perspective when they host the Raiders at 7 tonight in Hofheinz Pavilion.

Houston has won its last six games in a row, and a Cougars victory tonight would set a new school record for consecutive SWC wins (six).

Another streak Houston has going for it is the number of times a Cougars player has been named conference Player of the Week. Sophomore forward Pat Luckey was Houston's third straight winner Tuesday, and a Cougar has won the award an SWC-record seven times this year.

"Now's a good time to be playing Tech at home," said Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw. "With our confidence, we know it's going to be a great opportunity and challenge for us."

To make up for Robinson's absence during the Baylor contest, Tech started forward Melinda White in her place.

White filled in admirably, scoring 17 points and pulling down a team-high nine rebounds. Reserve forward Alicia Thompson also rose to the occasion with a game-high 21 points in just 16 minutes of action.

"On the offensive end we should be okay (without Robinson)," Sharp said. "But Connie's a little bigger and our rebounding department is going to be hurt a little bit."

Before her injury, Robinson was averaging 7.3 rebounds per game to go along with 17.1 points.