103 STUDENTS FILE FOR CANDIDACIES IN SA ELECTIONS

by James V. Geluso

Filing for the Students' Association elections closed Friday afternoon, with 103 candidates running for 33 positions.

Four parties were formed, and 18 students chose to run as independents.

Several members of the current Senate are running for higher office. Presidential candidates include Hunter Jackson and Giovanni Garibay, both senators from the business school, and Henry Bell, the current vice president. Mike Luka, running with the Party Party, is the only candidate from outside the current SA.

Vice presidential candidates include K.K. Lilie, the current student regent; Jennifer Zuber, senator from the Law Center; and John Olszewski, who is not in SA. Also running for vice president is Dom Lewinsohn, who lost a narrow runoff to Angie Milner in the presidential race last year.

Six candidates are running unopposed for their seats, and one seat, from the pharmacy school, has no candidates.

The parties running are LEAD, led by Jackson and Lilie; C.L.A.S.S., led by Garibay and Zuber; the Peoples' Party, led by Bell and Lewinsohn; and the Party Party, led by Luka and Olszewski.

*******************************************************

SCHOLARSHIP FUND CREATED IN MEMORY OF LATE JOURNALIST

Cougar news services

A scholarship fund is being set up in memory of Georganna Stanton, who died earlier this semester.

Georganna Stanton, late wife of UH journalism Professor Ted Stanton, worked as a journalist in Oklahoma, Texas, New York and Idaho and was involved in journalism for most of her life.

The scholarship, to be awarded by the School of Communication and administered through the school, will serve as a tribute to Georganna as a person, her life and her work.

Hazel and Les Switzer (Mr. Switzer is also a UH faculty member in the School of Communication) will serve as joint custodians for the scholarship account.

For further details, contact Hazel Switzer (721-6486), Les Switzer (743-2883) or Carolyn Judd (665-7463).

Donations should be sent to the University of Houston (Georganna Stanton Memorial Scholarship), c/o Barry Brown; associate director, operations; School of Communication, central campus; University of Houston 77204-3786.

STUDENT VIDEO NETWORK REQUESTS SFAC FUNDING TO REPLACE OBSOLETE EQUIPMENT

The Student Video Network could go off the air at any minute due to a lack of working equipment, said Eden S. Blair, director of SVN, who made a presentation to the Student Fees Advisory Committee Friday at the first round of budget requests for the 1995-96 school year.

The annual fight for funds began when SFAC, the committee that decides how to spend student service fees, started listening to the directors of the groups that share the fee pie.

The hearings will continue today and Wednesday, then will conclude Friday.

The Student Program Board, which went in front of the committee at 2:45 p.m., decided to break the tension by opening with some tongue-in-cheek graft through a distribution of candy to the committee members.

But the request for funds became serious when Blair (SVN is a subset of SPB) told the committee, chaired by Julie Baumgarten, a senior accounting major, that the equipment at the SVN studios was beyond repair.

"If for some reason one more piece of equipment breaks," she said, "SVN will cease to function." Blair said the odds of this happening are 50-50 between now and the end of the semester.

The problem, Blair told the committee, is that SVN's equipment is so old, parts can no longer be found for repairs.

The group is asking SFAC for $35,000 to replace and update its old equipment, the most important being the recording deck, which is 25 years old. Without it, SVN would no longer be able to provide programming, Blair said. Also in need of replacement is the character generator, which is used primarily to inform viewers what is going to be shown, and the editing deck. Both of these pieces are 10 years old.

Blair also told the committee that if the new equipment is purchased, it should satisfy SVN's needs for at least 10 years.

The committee expressed concern over the accountability of SPB and the fact that SPB was using part of its funds to co-sponsor events with other student groups.

Dean of Students William Munson, a member of SFAC, said he was worried that SPB would become a funding group, and informed the group that it should consider revising its co-sponsor policies.

Blair said, after speaking to the board, that she felt SVN's request has a good chance for approval.

"They really do want to help us out," she said. "I think the request was reasonable."

The meeting started with a presentation by Dick Cigler, director of Student Publications, which produces The Daily Cougar, the <I>Houstonian<P> yearbook and the campus phone directory. Student Publications asked for base funding and cited a desire to continue updating its computer systems.

It was followed by the Dean of Students Office, the University Center, the Child Care Center, SPB and the UH Marching Band.

The Dean of Students Office asked for base-level funding as did the band.

The UC asked for a funding increase, and the band asked for a one-time allocation of $10,000 to provide scholarships.

The Child Care Center, which celebrated its 20th anniversary Friday, also asked for a budget increase, but the director, Marceline Devine, said the center is close to being self-supportive.

Today, Learning Support Services, Student Legal Services, the Counseling and Testing Service, the STEPS/Wellness Program and the Jazz Ensemble will make presentations, and David Small, assistant vice president for Student Services, will present the Student Needs Assessment.

HEALTH CARE PLAN TO INCLUDE YOUNG ADULTS, SHALALA SAYS

by James V. Geluso

The Clinton administration will make another attempt at health reform and will include insurance designed specifically for young adults, said Donna Shalala, secretary of Health and Human Services, in an interview Friday.

"We need to get young adults the coverage they need," Shalala said, describing a low-cost, high-deductible plan for healthy workers.

"Health reform is very much a young adults' issue," she said. "Given a choice, most young people will take salary over benefits."

Most health insurance is too expensive for workers just out of college, who consider themselves healthy enough to go without insurance, then may be faced with a catastrophic illness or accident, she said.

Despite the death of health reform in Congress last year and a new Republican majority this year, Shalala was optimistic about reform. "I think we will write a bipartisan bill to deal with issues like portability and low-income workers," she said. "What we won't do is have it be on the backs of the elderly and poor. We want real cost containment."

Despite her concern for young adults, Shalala ruled out any changes or reform to the Social Security system, which will break away from her department to become an independent agency next month. "We shouldn't touch our compact with the American people, and Social Security is the firmest part of that compact," she said.

"It's a social insurance program, not a social service program," she said, rejecting means testing, which would reduce benefits for wealthy retirees.

Shalala also criticized Republican efforts at welfare reform. "What Republicans are doing is not welfare reform," she said.

"The Republican welfare reform has lower work requirements than Reagan's welfare bill had in 1988," she said. "Welfare reform is when you move people from welfare to work. They're just interested in throwing people off."

A former university administrator, Shalala said working in government is easier than running a university. "You're not in control when you run a university," she said. "The students think they run the place. The faculty think they run the place. The alumni think they run the place.

"Accountability is clearer (in government)," she said. "The lines of responsibility are clearer."

Shalala spoke later that afternoon at a conference hosted by the UH Health Law and Policy Institute, which released a study on "Nonfinancial Barriers to Health Care." She praised the study, citing problems in the health care system.

"We have to do right and risk the consequences," she said, citing Sam Houston.

3-34-1

MOVING UP IN THE STANDINGS

1-18-1

Men in 4th place

After a brief respite from their winning ways, the Houston Cougars bounced back in style, victimizing Texas A&M in the second half of Saturday's 86-80 victory in Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Cougars (8-15 overall, 5-6 in the Southwest Conference) snapped a two-game losing streak, which followed a four-game winning streak, to equal their total of conference and overall victories for all of last season. In doing so, Houston moved into a tie for fourth place in the SWC with Rice.

The teams were tied at 40 at halftime, but Houston came out trapping and running after intermission, creating an 18-7 run and 11-point lead, which the Aggies never cut to less than five.

"That was our game plan, to run as much as possible," Cougars point guard Tommie Davis said.

Head coach Alvin Brooks said, "Our runs come when we can force the opposition into quick shots. If our defensive rebounding is up to par, then we can get our fast break going and get a lot of easy baskets."

Brooks may have made his own contribution to the run, a technical foul with four minutes gone in the half.

When Tommie Davis picked up an Aggie turnover and appeared gone for an easy basket, A&M point guard Kyle Kessel blocked his path, trying to draw a charge and prevent the hoop. He succeeded, prompting a face-to-face with the official from Brooks.

"I didn't want the same thing to happen to us that happened last Saturday (vs. Texas Christian)," he said. "I thought the opposition got away with a lot of hand-checking and bumping (then)."

After the Aggies' Joe Wilbert sank the resulting two free throws, UH guard Willie Byrd, starting in place of an injured Damon Jones, put down a resounding breakaway dunk. The Cougars then led 49-44 and never looked back.

"I wanted to establish very early that I was willing to defend and support my guys," Brooks said. "I think our players rally around that, any time they see you willing to support them in that way."

Texas A&M, led by Wilbert's 25 points and nine boards, dropped to 11-15 overall, 4-7 in the SWC. Tim Moore countered Wilbert with 23 points and eight rebounds.

3-28-1

HOUSTON TRACK TEAMS TAKE 6TH, 7TH

by M. S. Ameen

On a team level, the Southwest Conference Indoor Championships were rather disappointing for Houston's track and field teams.

Unfortunately, the Cougars failed to successfully defend the four 1994 SWC titles they carried to Fort Worth. The men finished seventh and the women took sixth.

Plagued by the remnants of a cold that has been circulating the team, senior Paul Lupi was physically unable to finish the finals of the men's 800-meters, in which he holds the 1994 SWC title.

The returning SWC champion in the men's 55-meter hurdles, Ubeja Anderson, was disqualified from the finals because of a false start.

Despite a marvelous mark of five feet, nine and one-quarter inches, junior Katrina Davis, the 1994 champion, placed second in the high jump.

Junior Sheddric Fields won second place in both the men's 55-meter dash and the long jump. In the latter, he flew to an indoor personal best jump of 26-2 1/4.

Following the women's lead, the Houston men performed extremely well in the jumps.

In addition to Fields, decathlete Michael Hoffer took fifth in the long jump. Kenneth Bigger (third, high jump), Jon Vines (sixth, high jump) and Chris Lopez (second, triple jump) each had a good showing.

Other Cougars scorers included, Vicenzo Cox (sixth, men's 200-meters), Demonica Davis (fourth, women's 55-meters; sixth , 200-meters), Drexel Long (fifth, women's 400-meters), Dawn Burrell (fifth, women's 55-meter hurdles) and Isaac Bell (fifth, 55-meters).

<I>HIGHLANDER III<P>: THERE SHOULD HAVE ONLY BEEN ONE

by Vincent Barajas

Christopher Lambert is standing above the headless corpse of another fallen foe. He retains his battle-ready stance, clutching his sword firmly with both hands as beads of sweat travel the width of his furrowed brow. He gazes down momentarily and ponders the life which he has brought to an end, then looks up at us. Finally he rasps out the words, "There can be only one!" Actually, this is the third.

This latest Miramax film, <I>Highlander III: The Final Dimension<P>, makes a trilogy of the popular Highlander saga, and again features Lambert as centuries-old Scotsman Connor MacLeod, an immortal who wanders the globe seeking contentment while hiding behind an endless number of assumed identities and occasionally engaging in mortal combat.

Chronologically, the bulk of this chapter's action takes place after the first film (which was set in 1986), but prior to the events of the second (which took place in the year 2024). There are, however, the obligatory flashbacks, one of which is used to kick off the story.

In 16th Century Japan, MacLeod is seeking mystic enlightenment from a sorcerer (veteran Japanese character actor Mako), and both men are soon targeted by a vicious Mongol named Kane (Mario Van Peebles), who wants the sorcerer's power and MacLeod's head (literally). In no time, Kane has taken the old sorcerer's magic and left MacLeod for dead. The immortal does manage to escape, but not before a battle with Kane leaves the latter buried under a glacier.

Fast-forward 400 years and the action resumes in present day, where we find MacLeod raising a young son somewhere near the Sahara. A group of archaeologists (led by sexy newcomer Deborah Unger) are digging around...guess where? Kane thaws out (plenty pissed!) and the remainder of the film is basically a build-up to his climactic battle with MacLeod in a refinery.

Also thrown in for good measure is a predictable romance between Lambert and Unger, whose character just happens to be a live ringer for one of MacLeod's former loves.

Seasoned music video director Andy Morahan takes over for departing director Russell Mulcahy (who helmed the first two <I>Highlander<P> features) and makes a decent freshman feature film. Given the limitations of the thin script, Morahan nonetheless imbues the film with a nice (if somewhat dark) visual style, and keeps the proceedings moving at a rapid enough pace.

Lambert is comfortable with the role of MacLeod, and he's convincing as a man who carries the burden of several lifetimes-worth of memories. Van Peebles has a good time as Kane, and his appearances manage to give the film powerful shots in the arm. The problems are all in the story.

As previously stated, there's not much to it, and it has a couple of cavern-sized plot holes. The final fight between Lambert and Van Peebles is over too fast, and doesn't justify the wait which preceded it. Bad taste alert: There are a couple of mean-spirited scenes wherein violence against a child is used to attain laughs.

For those who have seen the other <I>Highlander<P> films, the capsule review is that it's better than the disastrous second, but not as good as the original. In the case of the <I>Highlander<P> films, perhaps it would have been best to leave it at "only one."

<I>Highlander III: The Final Dimension<P>

Stars: Christopher Lambert and Mario Van Peebles

Director: Andy Morahan

**1/2