FULLER, ZUBER FORCED OUT OF SA CAMPAIGN

ELECTION COMMISSIONER CITES ALLEGATIONS OF FORGERY ON APPLICATIONS

The Students' Association was rocked by scandal Wednesday as Jennifer Zuber, law senator and former SA vice presidential candidate, and Senate Speaker Jeff Fuller were barred from participation in the upcoming election due to allegations of application fraud.

Zuber was originally SA presidential candidate Giovanni Garibay's vice presidential running mate on the C.L.A.S.S. ticket. Garibay removed her from the ticket Wednesday afternoon after the allegations came to light.

Fuller was originally C.L.A.S.S.'s campaign manager until he was forced out by Garibay.

A letter from election commissioner Robert Kramp said Zuber and Fuller "were, by their own admittance, responsible for the falsification of the signatures in question" on several applications for candidates running on the C.L.A.S.S. ticket.

The application tells applicants to sign if they have received a copy of the Election Code. According to Zuber and Fuller, the code was not available Friday afternoon, when applications were due.

Zuber claimed the confusion began on Feb. 15 when assistant election commissioner Annette Garcia told Zuber candidates did not need to sign the applications if they had not received a copy of the Election Code.

"There was a general atmosphere of confusion about the signatures. Everybody was asking everybody if they should sign the application or not. The word was going around that candidates should not sign since they had not received a copy of the code," Sen. Justin McMurtry said. (McMurtry is not involved or affiliated with any SA campaign.)

Then, at 4:15 p.m. Friday, Bill Carroll, assistant election commissioner, told Zuber signatures were required, Zuber said.

Faced with a deadline, Zuber called candidates and asked them to come to campus to sign the applications. When some candidates couldn't make it, she said, they authorized her to sign the applications.

"I looked at Jeff and said, 'You're the official representative. You sign them,' " Zuber said.

Kramp said he obtained a copy of the code from Fuller Thursday and had Garcia copy it. "The code was available to all candidates on Thursday," Kramp said in contradiction to Fuller and Zuber's statements.

Further, Kramp says he spoke to Garcia, and that she never told anyone that the applications could be received unsigned.

"Jennifer Zuber signed a number of applications, then turned them in as bona fide," Kramp said.

Fuller says he signed all of the applications, not Zuber.

Zuber said she filled out some applications, but did not sign them. When she informed Carroll, he told Kramp she allegedly had admitted to forging signatures.

Both Carroll and Kramp denied Carroll told Kramp that Zuber had signed the applications. Kramp said David Daniell, assistant director of Campus Activities, had told him Zuber admitted to having "verbal power of attorney to sign them for the candidates."

McMurtry authored an amendment that passed Jan. 25 changing the code so that candidates had to physically sign applications. No one could sign them for them even with the person's permission.

"I forgot that little thing was in the amendment. Nobody intended to defraud anyone," McMurtry said. "They should leave Zuber alone."

Clarissa Peterson, who is also running on the C.L.A.S.S. ticket, also said Zuber was not responsible for the forgeries.

SA President Angie Milner expressed shock at the allegations and said she could not believe names had been signed with malice.

*******************************************************

ATHLETICS SEEKS LEVEL FUNDING, OUTLINES FUTURE

Even though the Student Fees Advisory Committee is required to fund athletics with 35 percent of the total revenue it controls, the Athletic Department answered SFAC's questions and explained their department's student fee request at Wednesday's presentations.

The funding request asked for base funding, the perfunctory 35 percent ($2.3 million), with no augmentations.

The Athletics Department's request, which was presented by Bill McGillis, senior associate athletic director, and Adrianne Peck, assistant athletic director, did show a $100,000 decrease in income from the 1993-94 year; no budget was turned in last year. The department also predicted a $2.7 million loss for next year.

The committee's questions to McGillis centered around the destiny of athletics at UH, especially the future of the new conference and the new athletic facility.

McGillis said it is definite that UH will play football in the Southwest Conference next season, but the jury is still out about the other 13 sports at UH. However, he said a decision should be reached within the next week.

In fact, that athletics director Bill Carr wasn't at the presentation was due to a meeting about the new conference, which McGillis said will be named in March.

McGillis defined the structure of the new league for the committee, telling them it will be a 12-team conference with all teams playing in every sport, except football; only six schools will compete in this sport.

This, McGillis stated, will do two things for the Cougars. One, it will provide UH with a chance to schedule six nonconference games -- which is important, as the new league is not considered to be a strong football conference -- and it will allow UH to be competitive immediately.

McGillis was also asked about the immediate financial impact of the new league. He said he expects the income to stay the same in the new league as it would in the SWC for the first year and rise after that.

Finances, he said, are the main problem the Athletics Department faces.

"Our problem from a revenue perspective is one the whole university has to solve," he said.

He said two things are necessary to do this: UH must increase its attendance at games and step up fund-raising. Those two areas have already increased this year, he said, but efforts must continue.

The new athletics/alumni facility, which the Athletics Department will begin to move into later this semester, will also be an increasing source of revenue, McGillis said.

The main concern the committee had concerning the facility was availability to the general student body.

"We need to remember that the gift is for the Athletics Department," McGillis said. He added that they are considering how and when to use it for Intramurals/recreation and maybe some physical education classes. The marching band will be practicing there, and the facility will be open to the public, McGillis said.

He said another issue that is important to athletics is integration with the university.

"We have established dual reporting lines," he said. "Adrianne (Peck) doesn't just report to Bill Carr; she also reports to the senior vice president for administration and finance (Dennis Boyd)."

After an hour, the longest any group was there, the committee continued with its agenda.

The Students' Association also sat in front of the board, and SA President Angie Milner's group turned in an unsigned fee request form that asked for level funding of $95,000.

She said that, with the elimination of two jobs, SA did not need extra funds in the upcoming year.

The Forensics Society also was scheduled for Wednesday and asked for base funding of $7,580, plus an $8,100 augmentation and a $3,500 one-time fee. The augmentation is to send the team's qualifiers to nationals next year.

Intramurals, Spirit Board, the Department of Campus Activities, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program, the Activities Funding Board and the Council of Ethnic Organizations also made presentations.

Friday will close the presentation process, and deliberations will begin Monday.

BLACK HISTORY GALA ADDS TO MINORITY RECRUITING EFFORTS

The Office of Admissions hopes to enhance the University of

Houston's recruitment of minority students through today's

Black History Month celebration.

More than 100 seniors from 14 predominantly black Houston high schools will visit UH, said Myra Lacey, UH admissions counselor and co-chairperson of the event. "The celebration will allow these seniors to see our campus, receive information about UH, meet representatives of UH African American organizations and see

some great entertainment."

The "First Annual Black History Month Celebration" begins at 8:30 a.m. with registration and breakfast in the University Center. The all-day program also includes entertainment, lunch, door prizes and an address by the first African American U.S. treasurer, Azie Taylor Morton.

The first-year event, titled "A Glance at the Past ... A Chance for the Future," was the idea of Rob Sheinkopf, UH director of admissions, and his staff.

"Our original idea was to do this in conjunction with Martin

Luther King's birthday," Sheinkopf said. "The problem was UH was

not in session that day, so we decided to do it during Black History Month."

Sheinkopf enlisted the help of Lacey and UH admissions counselors Stephanie Edwards and Kim Bryant. Lacey and Bryant are

co-chairs of this year's gathering.

The keynote speaker, former U.S. Treasurer Morton, was

appointed by former president Jimmy Carter in 1971 and served in

the office until 1977. Morton is a former member of the Democratic National Committee and a former commissioner of the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry. Her address will begin at 10:45 a.m. in the UC Houston Room.

Aside from receiving information about UH admissions, enrollment and financial aid, the high school seniors will have an opportunity to talk with representatives of 23 UH African American organizations, including African American Studies, the Black Student Union, the National Society of Black Accountants and the National Society for Engineers.

Live entertainment is scheduled throughout the day, featuring the Cashmere High School Band, the Jessie Jones High School Band, the Good News Gospel Choir and Robin Breedon of Houston radio station KBXX, "The Box."

Sheinkopf said he hopes this program will grow each year.

"Our main focus in admissions is diversity," Sheinkopf said.

"We believe UH should play a major role in educating minority students, so we need to introduce the university to minority

high school students."

AIDS WORKERS PERSEVERE IN SPITE OF SLOW PROGRESS

by Andy Alford

Few choices exist for people dying of a debilitating disease for which there is no cure.

However, HIV and AIDS patients in Houston have at least two organizations to which they can turn for help: UT-Houston Medical School and the NAACP.

The weekly luncheon sponsored by the UH Wesley Foundation Wednesday at A.D. Bruce Religion Center, titled "Research and Hope," featured three guest speakers: Darlene Flowers and Mary Basha of the UT Medical School Department of Infectious Disease and Connie Seymour-Goodlow, assistant director of Health Services for the NAACP.

Basha opened her speech about drugs and research by saying, "We are 14 years into AIDS with no concrete cure." Basha, a research nurse at UT-Houston's Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease, said that before a drug can be marketed, it must first be thoroughly tested to satisfy requirements determined by the Food and Drug Administration. There are four phases to drug testing, and "Phase III is where we come in. We conduct the actual drug studies," Basha said.

Flowers, also a research nurse at the Center for Infectious Disease, said a pharmaceutical company interested in testing an experimental drug at the Phase III level would approach either Basha, her or the doctor for which they work. If the doctor wants to conduct the study, he writes a formal letter back and gathers patients.

It takes thousands of patients and "quite a while to get a drug on the market," Flowers said. "(Researchers) need more women and children, who are often afraid ... to participate."

Once patients are gathered, a board of about 30 people reviews the law aspects of the study, Flowers said. This includes consent and release forms, as well as confidentiality matters.

Most money for the study comes from the pharmaceutical company to cover the cost of the medication, she said.

Flowers said the advantages to HIV and AIDS patients from participating in research studies include free medication, free doctor visits and free lab work.

All medical records are kept completely confidential, Flowers added. "We use numbers, no names."

Even when the study is over, researchers keep in touch with their patients. "Once a patient of Mary's and mine and the doctor we work for, you're always a patient," Flowers said.

As a case manager for the NAACP, Seymour-Goodlow helps AIDS patients in their personal lives.

"(Case managers) serve individuals affected and infected with AIDS. In other words, we serve clients and their families as well," she said.

Seymour-Goodlow said most of her clients come through referrals and need help with basic living necessities.

"Most of these people are not fortunate enough to have health insurance. They don't have any income.

"The outreach is here. The research studies that can prolong life a little are here. But people don't know they're here," she said.

Seymour-Goodlow said the NAACP also has AIDS awareness and education programs.

She added that she is amazed "there are still people that stick their heads in the sand and pretend that (AIDS) doesn't exist."

Of her job and the AIDS epidemic, Seymour-Goodlow said, "It's horrible, but you do it out of compassion for your client."

LABORER CHARGED WITH GUN POSSESSION

by Blanca Hernandez

A UH general services laborer, Larry Bernard Gray, 43, was arrested and charged with carrying a prohibited weapon on campus property Monday.

According to UH police Sgt. J.A. Williams, Anthony Solomon, Gray's co-worker, went to the campus police station and reported the weapon to the authorities. The police obtained consent to search Gray's vehicle and found a .38 caliber pistol. According to authorities, the seized weapon was reported stolen from the Trinity County Sheriff's Department, but they did not say how Gray obtained the weapon.

"Once he (Gray) gave us a consent to search, we found it in his vehicle," Williams said.

According to the police, Gray was transported to Harris County Jail, with bond set at $5,000.

5-40-1

COUGARS OPEN NEW BALLPARK WITH A "W"

The Houston Cougars baseball team graced its new field with a 10-2 victory Wednesday over Sam Houston State, in front of an estimated 815 who came out to see the opening of the as-yet-unnamed baseball stadium.

The Cougars stand at 5-4, having won three straight, including a victory over top-ranked Louisiana State.

Houston's 10 runs were a season high, as were the 14 hits off four Sam Houston pitchers.

The game was attended by such former UH sports stars as Doug Drabek, Andre Ware and Leroy Burrell. John Moores, who donated the money needed to build the new stadium and athletic complex, was also present until the last out.

"I love it, this is great," Drabek said of the park. "This is something they've needed for a while."

Head baseball coach Rayner Noble felt no extra pressure from the surroundings.

"It's a relief just to get a win," Noble said. "I thought neither team played well defensively, that was obvious, but we made the plays when we had to, and that's what it's all about."

The two teams combined for 12 errors, six on each side. The boots proved useful to the Cougars' offense, producing the Cougars' first run.

Houston designated hitter Jason Farrow broke the scoring ice in the bottom of the first on an error by Bearkat first baseman Ryan Rosplock. Junior left fielder Chris Scott crossed the plate on the miscue.

"It feels great (to get the first run)," Scott said. "The stadium' s really coming along. It's just great to be a part of history."

For the record, Rosplock recorded the first-ever hit in the confines of the new field, a dribbler up the middle in the top of the first, and Cougars outfielder Geoffrey Tomlinson got the first official RBI on a second-inning single. There were no round-trippers, but Sam Houston's Daniel Groberg's second-inning double was the park's first extra-base hit.

The new field's second game is today at 4 p.m. when Houston plays Texas Southern, before the Cougars embark on a two-game road trip to LSU.

1 1/2-22-1

UH VICTORY BLOCKED

Cougar sports services

This time, the Houston men's basketball team's winning streak lasted only one game.

Baylor (9-16, 3-8 in the Southwest Conference) handed the Cougars their third loss in four games, 97-89, Wednesday night at the Ferrell Center in Waco.

Statistically, the game was closer than the score indicated. UH hit 33 of 71 shots to Baylor's 36-of-72. The Cougars made 12 of 17 free throws to the Bears' 13-of-17. Houston nailed 10 3-pointers to Baylor's 12.

But Houston's Tim Moore (team high 21 points) fouled out with 1:58 left. However, Moore didn't block any Baylor shots and neither did any other Cougar. The Bears' 6-9 center, Brian Skinner, swatted six UH shots.

Baylor also out-rebounded UH 45-33, with no Cougar grabbing double figure rebounds. Nelson Haggerty, the Bears' point guard and the national leader in assists, dished 12 assists -- four less than the entire Houston team.

The Cougars (8-16, 5-7) have six days off before their next game, against Texas in Austin Feb. 28.

1 1/2-18-1

TENNIS MATCH SUSPENDED

Cougar sports services

The Houston tennis team's match against Southern Methodist was suspended due to darkness Wednesday evening, with the Cougars leading 4-3.

The match will completed at a later date.

2-26-2

LADY COUGARS FALL TO 3RD AFTER 93-77 LOSS TO BAYLOR

by M. S. Ameen

As the Houston women's basketball team struggled to maintain second place in the Southwest Conference, it was slapped by Baylor's adrenalized defense and crippling 3-point shooting in a 93-77 loss.

Houston (13-11, 7-5 in the Southwest Conference) was trying to keep a half-game lead on Texas A&M (15-7, 6-4) as the SWC Tournament looms ahead in March. The Lady Aggies beat Rice 88-64 to move ahead of the Cougars in the SWC standings.

"This loss will hurt. We helped everyone else (in the conference) except ourselves," UH head coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "We didn't lose our intensity tonight. We didn't lose it because we never had it."

The Bears ran a 2-3 zone that furiously defended the bucket from the Cougars' attack.

Baylor jumped all over Houston and led 12-2 with 15:48 to play in the first half. The Bears' lead would reach as many as 20 points with 3:01 left in the first.

Sophomore forward Pat Luckey picked up two quick fouls and was taken out at the 16:42 mark. A usually powerful producer of points, Luckey (20.5 per game) did not score until the second half and finished with 10 points.

Stacy Johnson seemed to be the only Cougar undaunted by Baylor's hyper defense. She led all scorers with 35 points.

Although Baylor shot better than the Cougars from the field (48 percent to 41 percent), the greatest discrepancy was from behind the 3-point line. The Bears made seven of 12, while the Cougars shot a desperate 2-of-18.

Each time Houston made a run, Baylor answered with a key shot.

"We came back out and handled their pressure very well," said Baylor head coach Sonja Hogg.

<I>CINDERELLA<P> A FAIRY- TALE OPERA

Ivana Segvic

UH students, faculty and staff don't need to travel to the Houston Grand Opera to see fine opera performances and talented singers. The UH School of Music makes its own.

The University Opera Theatre of the School of Music presented <I>Cinderella (La Cenerentola)<P>, by Gioacchino Rossini, on Friday and Saturday.

The comic opera tells the story of Cinderella through wishful thinking, role reversals, charades and a dream of romance and imagination. <I>Cinderella<P> is an opera for people who want to experience the magic of opera, but have never had the opportunity or time for a three-hour performance of music and singing. The opera is filled with comedy and doesn't have the heavy and tragic side toward which many operas tend to lean. (It was also only two hours long.)

Kristine Johnson, who sings Tisbe, one of the stepsisters, said Cinderella is the opera for beginners. "This opera is perfect for people who have not seen operas before or are about to be introduced to opera. It's a comic opera and is easier to listen to. Plus, the story line is very common. Everybody knows the story of Cinderella, but this production has twists that I think will surprise many people," she said.

The set, costumes and music were superb in the production. Stage director Buck Ross, music and costume director Katherine Ciscon and lighting director Kelly Babb put all of their efforts into this production. "The costumes are colorful, the acting superb and the music, wonderful," Johnson said.

Clorinda is sung by Kelli Estes and Gabrielle Kays; Tisbe is sung by Kristine Johnson and Marsha Thompson; Ramiro is sung by Marc Schreiner and Hal Spencer; Dandini is sung by Matthew Kreger; Magnifico is sung by Brad Zimmerman; Alidoro is sung by Mark Wilson; and Cenerentola is sung by Ermelinda Cuellar. The Men's Chorus from HSPVA joined the cast to make this production of Cinderella one of which the University Opera Theatre and all of UH can be proud.

**************************************************************

BRAND NUBIAN GIVES <I>EVERYTHING<P>

<I>Everything is Everything<P> is Brand Nubian's new release, a cauldron of funky beats, old-school solidarity and the kind of songwriting that makes this band one of hip-hop's more complex acts.

Brand Nubian, composed of Lord Jamar, Sadat X and Sincere, has been talk show fodder since 1990, when its <I>One For All<P> was dubbed a hip-hop classic by The Source. Even with the 1992 departure of the group's spiritual leader, Grand Puba, Brand Nubian followed up with the sometimes spastic but still sharp <I>In God We Trust<P>.

Brand Nubian's writings and records were mostly concerned with the teachings and beliefs of the fiercely nationalist Five Percent Nation of Islam, and its sentiments have gotten the band caught in a rhetorical crossfire on more than one occasion. <I>Everything<P> presents a far mellower version of Five Percent than previous records, but backing off does not seem to be in the cards.

Actually, <I>Everything<P> is probably one of the least tense records Brand Nubian has made. Not that the band is going toward whoop-there-it-is kinds of rhymes or that its members are forgetting their backgrounds, but <I>Everything<P> is the least game-faced yet.

The socially conscious music is very much front and center on <I>Everything<P>, such as on the songs "Claimin' I'm A Criminal" and "Hold On," which utilizes a great sample of Simply Red's "Holding Back The Years." But, like a growing number of politically conscious rap acts, Brand Nubian laces the message into the hip-hop trends, such as live instrumentation and grafting old R&B into the modern sounds. <I>Everything<P> is not a total bandwagon ride, though, as the band has here grown into a much more mature sound.

Take the release's opener, "Word Is Bond." It seems like the usual shout-and-chorus song, until it really gets down to business in a winding, feel good tune. It's followed by "Straight To Da Head," a hypnotic groove where a four-piece band stretches a sleepy backdrop behind the three rappers. The mood stays the same through the silky "Nubian Jam," where singer Laura Affored helps create the dense climate. The rhythms are well-crafted, creating a mood and putting the listener in a mindset that makes him listen.

On more conventional hip-hop tracks, like the lively "Step Into Da Cipher" and "Bullets," the music is quietly energetic, as if it could burst at any moment but stays in control. When passing off commentary, as on "Return Of The Dread" and "Gang Bang," the edge seems the same -- pensive but in control -- and it's a fresh effort that keeps you listening.

It is doubtful that <I>Everything<P> is everything that Brand Nubian has to offer, but it comes close to giving people insight into how this band has grown since its formation. The music is more consistent than anything Brand Nubian has done previously, and it is sure to please old fans of the band and even bring new listeners into the music.