RELIGION CENTER, SVN EYE SFAC DELIBERATIONS

The time to talk is over, and so may be the A.D. Bruce Religion Center's operations if funding needs aren't met, said Julie Baumgarten, chairwoman of the Student Fees Advisory Committee.

Friday, which was the final day of presentations to SFAC, included two pieces of business that were not on the agenda. Residential Life and Housing told the committee that the A.D. Bruce Religion Center needs funding.

A Feb. 9 memo to SFAC from Residential Life and Housing asks for $28,116 for up-keep.

"The way it came across to me is that they are desperate for money," Baumgarten said, adding, "It is essential for keeping it open."

The Student Video Network also made an unscheduled cameo Friday when Chairwoman Eden S. Blair brought in more information to the committee. SVN had already made a presentation the previous Friday.

Baumgarten said SVN made "a very good presentation." SVN is another group depending on SFAC to stay in existence, Blair said at her first presentation.

The Student Fees Advisory Committee ended presentations Friday and will begin deliberating today when Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs, addresses the committee and makes his recommendations to the board.

The committee has spent the last week listening to student groups ask for a part of student service fees for the upcoming year.

Friday's hearings started with the Career Planning and Placement Center.

CPPC is requesting its base funding of $457,847, plus a one-time augmentation of $4,390 and a base increase of $13,440.

The one-time augmentation is for "the position of job development specialist through March 31, 1996," according to a memo sent to SFAC Feb. 9 from David Small, assistant vice president for student services.

The memo also states that the base increase is to extend that position through Aug. 31, 1996.

The memo goes on to state that the position is now funded by the Office of Vice President for Student Affairs, SFAC and the UH Law Center. The agreement with the Law Center expires March 31, 1996.

CPPC was followed by the Veterans' Service Office, which is looking to more than double its base funding next year. Currently, VSO's base is $14,040, but its request asks for a base increase of $16,712.

These expenditures were outlined in a memo sent to SFAC Feb. 9 from George Masraff, coordinator for Veterans' Services.

The Center for Students with DisABILITIES is asking for level base funding of $129,514, plus a one-time allocation of $4,925, a one-time augmentation of $16,630 and an increase of $71,962 to the base.

The UH Health Center is one of the few groups, including Student Publications, the Athletics Department and the Students' Association, asking for level funding from last year. The difference is that the Health Center gets its money from dedicated fees. It is projecting to get $1.4 million from the Health Center fee.

In addition, the Blaffer Gallery asked for $5,000.

The week saw the committee listen to 31 presentations, ranging from the UH Jazz Ensemble requesting $6,100 to upgrade its music library and purchase a new drum set to the Athletics Department asking for $2.3 million.

Hot topics included Kenneth Waldman, director of the Counseling and Testing Service, objecting to Dean of Students Willie Munson sitting on SFAC; the future of the Athletics Department; and the Student Needs Assessment.

*******************************************************

2-22-2

ELIGIBILITY QUESTIONS LEAVE TRANSFER'S STATUS IN DOUBT

Saturday night's pre-game Senior Night ceremonies, which honored Houston Lady Cougars senior players, involved Stacey Johnson.

Yes, that's right. It is now <I>senior<P> Stacey Johnson.

All season long, the 5-9 guard has been listed as a junior on the Cougars' pre-game notes and in the team media guide.

"In December, when I was doing the media guide, coach (Jessie) Kenlaw told me, 'let's just list her as a junior for now until further notice,' " said David Matheson, women's basketball sports information director. Matheson said even though it was known that Johnson had only one year of eligibility left, Kenlaw was hoping Johnson would return next season, because of a discrepancy with her NCAA eligibility.

While at her former school (Arizona State), Johnson played in two exhibition games in November 1993 before transferring to UH in January 1994. Johnson (a junior at the time) said an NCAA rules committee source told her that if she quit the team or transferred to another school, she would definitely lose that third year of eligibility. If she transferred, she would be eligible for just one year at a new school.

"I came here thinking that I was going to play one year," Johnson said. "But coach Kenlaw and (Senior Associate Athletic Director Bill) McGillis were so optimistic, they told me that I should pursue (an appeal)."

That appeal will be made with either the Southwest or Pacific-10 Conference, McGillis said.

"We're going to find out from the NCAA which conference is going to handle the appeal," McGillis said. "We're not certain, but I believe it will be handled by the Pac-10."

The appeal will be based on a back injury that ailed Johnson during the fall of 1993, said McGillis, who will attempt to convince one of the two conferences that Johnson would have received a medical hardship waiver had she stayed at Arizona State in 1993. The appeal will seek to have Johnson's 1993 season given medical redshirt status.

When asked why Johnson's eligibility problems were never made public, Matheson said: "That's a good question."

5-36-1

UH LOSS PERHAPS JOHNSON'S LAST HOME GAME

1-18-2

LADY COOGS FALL TO FOURTH IN SWC

It was Jennifer McLaughlin's birthday, but she was the one who provided the gift.

The Southern Methodist junior guard blew out the candles on the Houston Lady Cougars Saturday night in Hofheinz Pavilion, helping the Lady Mustangs claim sole possession of third place in the Southwest Conference with a 106-88 victory.

McLaughlin scored a career-high 35 points on 13-of-18 shooting, and tied a career high with 12 rebounds.

"I didn't play well just because it was my birthday," McLaughlin said. "But (the win) was a nice present anyway."

The win for SMU (17-8, 8-5 in the SWC) put Houston (13-12, 7-6) in fourth place in the conference with one game remaining for each club.

The Mustangs host Texas A&M (17-7, 8-4) Wednesday while the Cougars travel to Austin to face Texas (10-14, 6-6) that same night.

"We're going to have to respond to this," said Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw, referring to the Cougars' recent two-game slide after winning seven of their previous eight.

The Mustangs outshot the Cougars 62 percent to 41 percent, and the 106 points is the second highest total ever scored vs. Houston.

"Houston is so darned quick and so darned athletic," said SMU coach Rhonda Rompola. "But I felt like we did a good job at handling their pressure."

To help accommodate McLaughlin, center Kim Brungardt pitched in 26 points as the two combined to miss just eight shots (24-of-32); Cougars forward Pat Luckey led Houston with 25 points and 11 boards.

An SMU win over A&M Wednesday will clinch the No. 2 seed in the March 8-11 SWC tournament. A Mustangs loss, combined with a UH win over Texas makes things more interesting, however.

In that scenario, both teams would finish at 8-6 in the conference. And conference tie-breakers are decided on how teams do against other leaders.

Since both the Cougars and Mustangs are 0-2 vs. Texas Tech this season and an SMU loss Wednesday would make both teams 1-1 vs. A&M, the SMU/Houston tiebreaker would come down to how the two did in their respective Texas series (Rice could finish ahead of Texas, but both UH and SMU are 1-1 against the Owls anyway).

The Mustangs finished 1-1 vs. the Lady Longhorns this season. A Houston victory at the Frank Erwin Center would make the Cougars 2-0 vs. Texas, and give UH the No. 3 tourney bid.

However, if Houston loses Wednesday, Texas will take fourth place. UH would then slip to fifth, but if Rice defeats Texas Tech, the Cougars would fall to sixth.

IT'S SHOWTIME FOR STUDENT STARVING ARTIST

by Rashda Khan

Houston has a thriving and prolific art scene. Much of its grassroots-level energy is based in the University of Houston art community, which has turned out many of the artists working in Houston today.

The Student Program Board's Visual and Performing Arts Committee is celebrating the artistic resources and talents at UH with the "Starving Students Exhibition."

The name of the event is a tongue-in-cheek play on the name of another Houston art organization (Starving Artist, for those of you who haven't guessed it yet.)

"The words poor and students are usually synonymous," said Robby Rangel, co-chair of VPA and UH freshman art student. "Who'd know better about starving than students?"

Rangel hopes the exhibition will make the art world at UH more visible to the general student community. "If students aren't enrolled in art classes or don't trek across campus to the Blaffer Gallery, they end up missing a large part of the student culture that is encompassed in art," he said.

The exhibition will serve to showcase the works of student artists and give them a chance to see what their peers are doing.

"It's a good opportunity for the fine arts students to show their works to the other students," said Monica Fuentes, an art student who entered a photography project for the exhibit. "It also provides an outlet for non-art majors to show their works as well."

Rangel said the artists gives their work meaning through their caring, and the audience reaffirms that meaning through appreciation. "Art is something a person put(s) a lot of time and effort into, and as such, deserves to be shown," Rangel said.

The show hopes to bring the students closer to the Student Program Board. The organization brings much of the on-campus entertainment, such as concerts, movies and different types of shows to UH.

Rangel pointed out that these shows aim to provide entertainment and the students are observer audiences. The VPA committee wants to give students the opportunity to get involved and actually be in the events that are shown around campus, he said.

Another function of the show is to lead into a bigger event, The Spring Art & Music Festival, to be held in April.

Presently, Rangel is pleased that the Starving Students Exhibition is being extremely well-received. "We are happy to see people coming and signing up. Many were thrilled to have a chance to finally show their work," he said. "About 20 artists will show their works, which totals to almost 30 pieces of artwork so far."

The Starving Students Exhibition will be held Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the back entrance of the University Center. For more information, contact the Student Program Board at 743-5210.

<I>SECOND COMING<P> A RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE

by Leonard M. Cachola

With an album title like <I>Second Coming<P>, one would get the impression The Stone Roses were being presumptuous about their return from more than five years in limbo.

While not as revolutionary as the band's 1990 self-titled debut, <I>Second Coming<P> bombards the senses with a combination of rhythm and blues, Beatles pop sensibilities and its own brand of psychedelia that can be best described with that old '60s catch-phrase, "groovy."

Showing versatility with musical craft uncommon among one-dimensional bands that currently seem to dominate the alternative rock scene, this Manchester quartet envelopes the listener with a larger-than-life sound that is bold and daring, yet strangely familiar, thanks to Ian Brown's smooth vocals.

The Roses open with "Breaking Into Heaven," an 11-minute opus that is a dreamy melange of all three genres and succeeds with a killer refrain, which evokes stark bitterness against the living. "I want to break into heaven/I can't wait anymore," sings Brown, with the ironic softness that the Roses are known for.

This mixture is also prevalent in the first release, the brash "Love Spreads," an anthem for neighborly love with a catchy refrain where Brown commands, "Let me put you in the picture/Let me show you what I mean/The messiah is my sister/ain't no king and she's my queen."

In the Beatlesque "Your Star Will Shine," it's fun to get caught up in the brilliance of a teen-age love song about the morning after that ends with a killer punch line and is another shining example of the Roses at their lyrical best.

Other standouts include the pseudo-techno "Begging You," the fun R&B-derived sound of "Straight to the Man" and the anger of a lover scorned in "How Do You Sleep?" where Brown proposes "a toast to wasted life."

However, there are moments when the Roses seem to cross the line into overindulgence with their craft, something that can be expected from a band that spent 347 days slaving over the creation of an album.

Luckily, producers Simon Dawson and Paul Schroeder were able to keep the foursome in check throughout much of the album, but some tracks don't really belong, especially the overlong "Daybreak" and the tritely phallic "Ten Storey Love Song."

Those shortcomings aside, <I>Second Coming<P> is a worthy successor to the Roses' debut album and will allow the band to regain its rightful place as king of the British wave of alternative bands. Hopefully, we won't have to wait another five years for the next studio venture.

CINDERELLA <I>STILL CLIMBING<P> WITH HEAVY METAL, SOUTHERN-STYLE

Cinderella's latest release <I>Still Climbing<P> is full of raspy voices, screeching guitars and a hint of southern-style blues with no bullshit.

As the album title indicates, this band is still growing and venturing out of the cliched norms of hard rock.

Cinderella has carved a nifty little niche for itself in the music industry since its 1986 debut, <I>Night Songs<P> - a screaming, glam-metal album straight from the depths of the posterboy-rock sewer that was the mid-'80s Los Angeles music scene.

The band redeemed itself from that rookie effort in 1988 with its follow up, <I>Long Cold Winter<P>, which emphasized its music more than its act. The 1991 release, <I>Heartbreak Station<P>, was a bit of a disappointment, but continued that evolution away from the glam sound.

<I>Still Climbing<P> takes over where <I>Long Cold Winter<P> left off. Cinderella has developed an intriguing blend of hard rock and southern blues, resulting in a full, rich foundation, topped off with terrific guitar licks and vocals that demand attention.

The album opens with "Bad Attitude Shuffle," a jumpin', bluesy little ditty, but keeps the listener guessing with a couple of ballads and some good no-nonsense hard rock mixed in with a few more bluesier-sounding numbers.

Frontman Tom Kiefer, while no B. B. King or Eddie Van Halen, demands attention with his scratchy, high-pitched voice and equally piercing, high-decibel lead-guitar riffs. Yet he can still slow it all down for the more melodic stuff.

Two tracks from the new album, "Hard To Find The Words" and "Through The Rain," showcase the band's flair for ballads that first became noticeable with <I>Long Cold Winter's<P> "Don't Know What You got (Til It's Gone)" and the title track from <I>Heartbreak Station<P>.

The lyrics and sad, wailing guitar riffs on "Hard To Find The Words" seem especially poignant, considering Kiefer wrote them after finding out his mother had been diagnosed with cancer. The words are deeply sentimental, but should have mass appeal.

"Thank you for the love mama/It's what made this boy a man."

"Through The Rain" uses the tried and true formula of a lead piano alongside Kiefer's vocals and Jeff Labar's six-string sustain that the band has exploited numerous times before.

Cinderella found a unique style with its second album and hasn't strayed far from that formula ever since. The absence of drummer Fred Coury from this album is the only noticeable change.

<I>Still Climbing<P> is a good album for those who like a little southern-fried blues with their hard rock and don't mind Kiefer's raspy voice on the side.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SCENE: GO TO A SHOW

by Renee Feltz

Welcome to Local Music 101.

Sometimes I wish I could take a poll of how many students at UH support local music. I mean <I>really<P> support it by attending local live shows and buying CDs and records put out by local bands.

Why would such a desire come about? Perhaps it's because I go to local shows a lot, and it doesn't seem like many other students do.

In Austin, the local music scene is richly alive, thanks in part to the large student population. It would seem logical, then, that with UH, Texas Southern, Houston Baptist, Rice and St. Thomas Universities, Houston's scene would be thriving. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I propose that one reason for the absence of student support for local music is a lack of awareness that it exists.

Even though Public News and the Houston Press come out weekly with local listings, the attendance at the shows they advertise is scarce. Therefore, in an effort to bring the news straight to UH students, relieving them of the task of looking for local music, I will be writing about interesting bands and shows.

How does local music concern you? Basically, you are the essential element for its survival. Without listeners, the bands and the clubs they play at cannot be successful. Still, why should you get involved in local music? What is in it for you? A lot.

One major reason for attending local shows is that they enable you to get away from studying, to relax and relieve stress. By getting out of your sheltered school environment, you can meet interesting, new people, whom you might not normally run into. Also, if you like to see music played live, local music is much cheaper than national acts. If that isn't enough, just think how hip you will be if Houston becomes the next Seattle.

Now that I have your attention, and you are dying to support this great local music scene, let me tell you how to go about it. Most importantly, GO TO THE SHOWS!!! Even if the band isn't opening up for some national act, go see the bands play by themselves. Many shows have three or more bands playing. These are great for getting to see variety of talent. The lack of teenyboppers at these shows is an added plus.

If you like what you hear, go buy local artists' albums at record stores that sell local music (my personal favorite is Sound Exchange on Westheimer). In addition, if the you think a band is good, tell your friends. This is your chance to exercise your opinion and make a difference. The bands you support are the ones that survive.

I know what you're thinking: "I'm a student; I don't have a lot of time to go to see local music." Wrong, wrong, wrong. Many shows are on the weekends, which won't cut into your school time. During the week, a lot of clubs feature local bands. For example, every Monday at Laveau's is free and at least one band plays. My experience has been that these bands are excellent. The atmosphere is one of laid-back enjoyment, and the place is not too crowded. If you have to work or study, don't fret, most of the shows start pretty late. I work and manage to go to at least one show a week; so can you.

Hopefully, my arguments have struck you as valid, and you are now considering attending a local show. Go to the UC-Underground, or UC Satellite and pick up an issue of Public News. In it you will find both suggestions and regular listings for shows scheduled for this weekend and the following week.

UH STUDENT WINS FIRST PLACE AT REGIONAL ENGINEERING PROJECT COMPETITION

by Jennifer Smith

UH student Melissa Perret won first place at the regional conference paper project competition of the Institute of Industrial Engineers Friday. The conference was held at St. Mary's University in San Antonio.

Perret, 21, said, "Honestly, at five hours of sleep the night before, I was tired, elated and just in shock.

"My friends were surprised I made it to the podium to shake the guy's hand -- I was pretty shaky," the senior said.

Perret said that during the competition, she didn't know how she was doing. "My mouth was dry," she said.

Perret was awarded $250, and her project paper, "Development of a Cardiac Arrhythmia Patient Simulation Model for the Evaluation of Emergency Medical Technicians," will compete at the national contest this summer.

"(During my presentation) I knew that I knew more about my project than anyone in the room," Perret said. "That's what gives you confidence -- I know what I did and why I did it."

She said her understanding was that the top five places were chosen on the strength of the papers alone, and the order of those five was juggled after their oral paper presentations.

Second place in the competition went to the University of Oklahoma and third to Wichita State University.

The other UH industrial engineering team, Gary Tollar and George Voigt, placed within the top six with its project "Quality Assurance at United Form Company."

The conference was sponsored by Southwestern Bell Corp., Southwest Research Institute, the National Institute of Industrial Engineers, St. Mary's University Student Government Association, Harris Farinon Corp. and Kinetic Concepts.

***************************************************************

<I>MR. PAYBACK<P> NOT WORTH THE MONEY

by Eric James

The creator of <I>Back to the Future<P> brings the world's first interactive movie to theaters near you. It's film meets video game: the <I>Clash of the Titans<P> of the entertainment world, only this has nothing exciting to offer and there are no gods.

<I>Mr. Payback<P> was written and directed by Bob Gale. It is a two-hour movie that breaks down into 20-minute increments. Each ticket buyer sits in a seat that has a trigger gun with three buttons. Periodically throughout the movie, the audience chooses where the movie should go. It's like a video game on the big screen. I hate this concept.

When I go to the movies, I like to be swept away into a different world. I want the movie to do all the work so I can just sit back and relax. If I wanted a video game, I'd go to an arcade.

This marital union is the first of many films Interfilm hopes to market to the public. Let me explain <I>Mr. Payback<P>.

Mr. Payback is part man, part robot. He is programmed to seek out and avenge justice for wrongdoings. Billy Warlock, formerly of <I>Days of Our Lives<P> and <I>Baywatch<P>, plays the pompous little avenger. (And <I>Days<P> fans, if you didn't think an actor from that soap could fall any lower in the entertainment chain, watch this horrible film. Billy should beg to come back to <I>Days<P> in hopes of being possessed by Satan, who has invaded Salem.)

I can't really give a plot synopsis because there is no plot. Mr. Payback receives calls from people who have been done wrong, and then he sets out to get them justice. It all ends in a pathetic Payback game show.

The film is going to run every 30 minutes. I assume you pay the price of a regular ticket for 20 minutes-worth of film, in which time you cannot figure out the mystery. You are allowed to meet one villain and exact justice on him or her once.

I was allowed to play it twice and I met Ed Jarvis (Christopher Lloyd) and Diane Wyatt (Leslie Easterbrook of <I>Police Academy<P>). These villains were overacted stereotypes. The entire film is full of stock characters who have no dimension because there is no time to develop character. It has a cheesy beginning and a moronic ending, the dialogue feels forced and the jokes are far from amusing.

The film tries using some flatulent jokes, but they fall short of the effectiveness of the same joke in <I>Blazing Saddles<P>.

The appearance of the film on screen was terrible; the actors' skin tones were red, and the whites were blue. They told us the person who hooked it up must have hit a wrong button. Let's hope so.

In the end, the jokes become repetitive, the paybacks are cheap, and the choosing of the most miniscule decisions (i.e. How the butler should flip off Ed Jarvis) becomes tedious. I was uncomfortable trying to fit my arm in the armrest between the seat and trigger. So if you're big, expect to be uncomfortable.

This is nothing more than a glorified video game without the depth of some of the most interesting games out there. Save your money and your time.

If you do decide to go and try it out, it is only showing at Memorial City, which is now a Sony theater, not a Loews.