FACULTY, UH SYSTEM CLASH OVER ENDOWMENT

The System's control of UH Endowment funds is the latest in a long list of controversial issues irking faculty.

And while System administrators point to an almost $100 million increase in the Endowment since 1991 to $214 million, 93rd in the nation out of 437 public and private universities, and fourth in the state, faculty claim it is the amount of money spent on the System that sparks their anger.

Citing the limited number of endowed chairpeople when compared with the University of Texas, a need for better equipment and a fundamental "difference in value," Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the College of Social Sciences, said System priorities are off.

Rodgers' dismissal last May rallied faculty together against the administration as members of the 53-member Coalition for Excellence began a public campaign to discredit the current UH and System administrations.

As recently as Feb. 11, Joe Glatthaar, professor of history and a coalition member, published an editorial decrying the System and its efforts to manage the UH Endowment.

At issue is an $80 million portion of the Endowment alleged to be used for System expenses, providing $3 million in usable money in 1994.

Ed Whalen, UH System chief financial officer, claims, however, that most of the money is only administered by the System and not spent. He also cited communication problems with faculty as a significant factor in creating the controversy.

A System directive requires that any money given to more than one university be administered by the System because so much of the Endowment growth is due to donations.

According to System documents, the amount of Endowment funds administered by the System is $80 million.

A nondesignated Endowment of $20 million is used by the System, but almost all other funds, including a $32 million gift from the Cullen Foundation, are shown to be distributed across the four campuses.

But even if the System only uses $20 million, Rodgers said, any Endowment money that is used to pay bills is reprehensible.

He also questioned why the System even needs any Endowment funds. "I don't know why anybody would give money to the System," he said.

The remarkable growth of the

Endowment in 10 years, to $214 million from $18 million, comes from two sources: donations and investments.

The Creative Partnerships Campaign, a fund-raising effort that reports raising $289 million Systemwide, is responsible for the donations.

The campaign, started in 1990, focuses on soliciting alumni and foundation contributions to enhance the UH Endowment.

According to a campaign performance report, UH has raised $216 million with a goal of $263 million, while the System has raised $6 million.

The remainder of the money is raised by the three other universities, the Campaign for Public Broadcasting, KUHT and the CPC Priorities Fund.

But after reviewing the System Endowment reports, Giles Auchmuty, UH professor of math, wrote that in fiscal year 1994, the Endowment fund lost $2.2 million in capital.

Furthermore, the System reports that gifts of $11.1 million resulted in a net increase of $9.1 million between FY93 and FY94, indicating the loss of money. Auchmuty also factored in the cost of managing the fund at $913,000.

FY94 showed $8.8 million to have been distributed from the Endowment, with $6.5 million going to UH and $1.5 million going to the System.

*******************************************************

NEW COMPUTERIZED GRE PLAGUED WITH PROBLEMS, LAWSUIT, COST, OFFICIALS SAY

by Sarah Fredricksen

The GRE, the Graduate Record Exam, has officially merged onto the information superhighway, but not without acquiring a few dents and scratches to its exterior.

The infamous No. 2 pencil will no longer be needed, but the even more infamous mouse will. With the new computerized format, students are given one question, and if they answer it right, the next one is more difficult; if the answer is wrong, they get an easier question.

"It is no longer a standardized test. ... You are continually working at the hardest level you can stand," said Wendy Vocal, an assistant director of the Princeton Review. "Also, the first 10 questions on the test determine your score for the rest of the test. ... We had some instructors go in and take the test, get everything perfect for the first 10 questions, and then intentionally miss everything else. They got incredible scores!"

Students who take the test also have a shorter waiting period to take it and can get their results the same day.

After graduating from the University of Dayton in Ohio, Chicago resident Jean Andover took the new GRE in October when she learned about the new option.

She learned where the nearest testing location was and set up an appointment for the next day. "There were about three weeks between when I signed up for the test and when I found out where I'd be going to school," Andover said.

"The fact that you know your score when you leave makes all the difference in the world. ... If your grade is not as high as you need it, you know right then and there. You don't have to sit at home worried sick, waiting for the mail."

Its computerization may make it easier to access, but the new form of the GRE has its problems. Jonathan Grayer, president and chief executive officer of Kaplan Educational Centers, said he sent 20 members of his staff to take the GRE at different locations after a number of clients asked Kaplan counselors about specific questions they had heard from their friends. "We could tell right away that students were passing along questions from the tests," Grayer said.

When the employees from Kaplan compared information with each other, they said they created a version that was more than 80 percent accurate. Grayer and his staff then went to ETS with the information.

ETS announced in early January that it filed a lawsuit against Kaplan. The suit claims the New York-based test-preparation company violated copyright-infringement laws when Kaplan employees took the computerized GRE with the sole purpose of recreating the test.

"ETS is trying to divert attention away from the security flaws by shooting the messenger, but suing us doesn't stop the fact that the test is easily compromised. The suit is a monumental waste of time," Grayer said.

Melissa Mack, a spokeswoman for Kaplan, said, "We simply conducted our research, assembled our findings and brought them in confidence to ETS. ... We thought that by coming to them with evidence about how easy it was to cheat on the test, they would be forced to take the situation more seriously." ETS suspended the computerized tests from Dec. 23 to Jan. 3 to install new security procedures.

ETS originally touted the convenience of the computerized GRE, which allowed students to schedule tests at their convenience. Now test officials are planning to offer the test only on the first week of each month. But students can only take the new computerized test once a year because of the lack of variability in the questions, which are drawn from a large national data base that stays in place for six months. However, Nancy S. Cole, president of ETS, said in a statement to the New York Times, Dec. 16, 1994, that testing officials did not think people were leaking questions from the computerized tests.

Because of the adaptive nature of the test, in which the level of difficulty of each question depends on the previous answer, students were often getting the same questions each time they took the test, Vocal said.

ETS has plans to change the selections more frequently and expand and regionalize the data base.

The last dent in the armor of the computerized GRE is its higher cost. A graduating senior can now expect to pay $93 instead of the original $48 to $56. Students can pick up a copy of the <I>GRE 1994-95 Information and Registration Bulletin<P> on the second floor of the Counseling and Testing Center or call and have one mailed to them.

Students not wishing to pay the extra money for the technology can still take the written version on the dates listed in the bulletin.

INTRAMURAL SOCCER AT UH ALIVE AND KICKING

Brawl with ref leaves one team suspended, another on probation

An intramural soccer player was suspended for a year, his team suspended for the season and a second team placed on probation after a Feb. 26 intramural game ended in a fist fight between members of the Ram team and a referee.

The decision to suspend Ram player Ziad Chahabi and the Ram team, which is composed of Lebanese students, was made by Intramurals Sports Director Mark Kuhlman and his assistant, Reginald Riley.

Riley said neither he nor Kuhlman were present when the fight occurred. He said they reached their decision after talking to the referee involved in the fight, other referees at the match, players from both teams and from another team that was waiting to play when the fight broke out.

According to Riley, the

Intramurals Department had no choice but to suspend the Ram team.

"Our rules are very clear. If more than one player on a team throws a punch during a fight, the entire team is suspended," Riley said. "In addition, only the captain is allowed to speak to the referee, and no one is allowed to touch him."

Riley added that no one he talked to had seen anyone from the opposing team, the Knights, throw a punch during the fight. He said the Knights were placed on probation for the balance of the season because team members became involved in the dispute.

The fight began as the two teams left the field at the end of the Rams' 4-2 victory.

Riley said he was told that a Ram player pushed the official, the official then kicked the player, then another Ram player hit the referee. He said the fight was breaking up as UH Police Department officers arrived.

According to Ram team manager Khalil Sheikh-Kassem, the disagreement between the Ram team and the referee, Raul Vega, a UH junior mechanical engineering major, began early in the contest.

"After the game, Ziad went to talk to the ref because the ref kept saying 'Shut the f--- up' to us during the game," Sheikh-Kassem said. "He tapped on the ref's left shoulder and said, 'Hey ref, I want to talk to you.' The ref said, 'I don't want to talk to you,' or something like that, and then the argument escalated."

Sheikh-Kassem said the referee kicked Chahabi in the groin.

"Of course, my player retaliated, and the fight took place," Sheikh-Kassem said. "All of a sudden, I see two of my players against eight, or I don't know how many, players. As a manager, I just went in to get them apart, and I got hit."

Spencer Hausenstein, manager of the Knights and a UH junior electrical engineering major, denied that any members of the Knights hit anyone, but said several of his teammates were hit during the confrontation.

"It was the best officiating that I had seen in awhile, but a lot of calls weren't being called because there was only one ref, and he couldn't see everything," Hausenstein said. "As we were going off the field, some of my team saw one of their guys spin the ref around and take a swing at him. The ref took a swing back and then people tried to intervene, mainly some guys from my team. Then the other team saw us holding back their guy and they jumped in."

Vega said, "One of the Ram players came from behind me and turned me around and started yelling and had his fists up. I thought he was going to hit me, so I pushed him away.

"Right after I did that, I had four other guys kicking and punching on top of me. The next thing I knew, somebody had me from behind and one of the guys from the Rams just hit me in the mouth, and I started bleeding. That's when the UH Police Department arrived."

Sheikh-Kassem did not deny that more than one of the members of his team threw punches during the fight.

He also said he and his team heard the Knights making racial comments during and after the game.

"They said, 'Foreigners, call immigration; go back to your

f------ country and Mafia,' " Sheikh-Kassem said.

Hausenstein said he did not hear any of the Knights make racial remarks at any time during or after the game.

Vega also said he did not hear anyone making any racial comments during or after the game, nor did he see anyone from the Knights throw a punch during the fight.

According to Riley, none of the people he talked to heard any racial slurs.

Vega, who oversees referees for the Intramurals league, said he and other referees have had problems with the Ram team in the past.

"That's why I was refereeing. I can't find any refs who will work games with that team," Vega said. Sheikh-Kassem said, "This ref has an attitude, and we had a history with him. I remember that he once suspended me for a game. He tried to pick a fight with me. He told me, 'Come in, come in. Let us fight, man-to-man.' I did not accept his

invitation."

Sheikh-Kassem added, "Most of my players are over 28, and many of them are graduate students who are working on master's or Ph.D.s. They did not like the tone he used in his language or the vocabulary he used."

Sheikh-Kassem said he is unhappy that no one from the Intramurals Department asked him what happened before they made the decision to suspend his team.

In a letter to the Intramurals Department, Sheikh-Kassem said, "Two brothers of my team got battered or hit by your refs with the help of four members of the Knights team.

"You believe what he (Vega) said simply because he works for you in the Athletics Department, and he never lies. You did not bother yourself and even tried (sic) to call me or talk to me. Is it because, according to your laws, I am a foreigner and all foreigners, especially from my country, are liars?"

Riley said he made every effort to determine exactly who was involved in the fight and reiterated that no one he talked to could say they saw anyone other than members of the Ram team throw a punch during the fight.

COOGS FOUL OUT: SMU 79-74

Mustangs turn late call into win

No harm, no foul.

Although that old basketball proverb didn't have much meaning to the officials in the Cougars' 79-74 loss to Southern Methodist Saturday, it still applied to the game itself.

An intentional foul called on forward Kirk Ford, with Houston down two points (75-73) and 1:13 remaining, proved to be the difference at Hofheinz Pavilion, while Texas A&M's comeback victory (87-78) over Baylor in Waco made the whole thing pointless.

Houston, which finished the regular season at 8-18 overall, 5-9 in the Southwest Conference, was assured of a sixth-place berth in this weekend's Dr Pepper SWC Postseason Classic when Texas A&M won Saturday, even though the Cougars didn't know of the result until after their game.

The Cougars will face third-seeded Texas Christian Thursday at Dallas' Reunion Arena.

It didn't decide the game, but when Ford fouled the Mustangs' Jemeil Rich while trying to score, the officials claimed the act was flagrant enough to give the ball back to SMU.

That let the Mustangs (7-19, 3-11) run some clock, even if they did get only one point out of the exchange to go up 76-73.

"It was not a good call," said Cougars head coach Alvin Brooks. "The way the rule reads, when you have excessive force, that can be a reason to call an intentional foul, but I didn't think (Ford's foul) was excessive.

"I thought his speed and momentum caused the hard foul."

Ford concurred, saying, "I went up for the ball, trying to keep him (Rich) from making the easy layup. I guess the ref thought it was too much of a hard foul, and he made the call that he saw.

"Personally, I thought it was a bad call, but I have to respect what the official called."

Tim Moore led the Cougars with 19 points and 15 rebounds. Ford followed with 14 and six respectively. Galen Robinson added 13 and nine.

The Mustangs' Troy Matthews scored a game-high 24, 21 in the second half.

UH LASSOS COWBOYS ON STRENGTH OF DH SWEEP, WINS SERIES 2-1

by Jeff Holderfield and

Richard C. Kroger

The Houston Cougars baseball team used strong pitching to steal a doubleheader from the McNeese State Cowboys Sunday, allowing them to win a three-game weekend set 2-1 at the new Cougar Field.

The Cougars (10-7) dropped Saturday's game 6-1, but answered with a 3-2 victory in the first game Sunday and a 4-1 decision in the nightcap.

In the second game of the doubleheader, pitcher John Box (2-1) threw seven strong innings. Box paved the way for the victory, as he didn't allow an earned run and had five strike outs.

The Cougars got off to a fast start offensively when Carlos Perez jumped on Cowboys starter Jason Gunter's first-inning pitch, sailing it over the right-field fence for a two-run homer and a 2-0 early advantage.

In the sixth inning, Perez answered the offensive call again, smacking a shot into center field for a double and another RBI to push the Cougars ahead 3-0. Later that inning, Houston added another insurance run before surrendering a meaningless run to the Cowboys in the seventh.

The first game saw Jon McDonald pick up his first win of the year behind a sixth-inning rally (the Cougars trailed 2-1) that started with back-to-back doubles by third baseman Tom Maleski and Perez.

Catcher Brandon Milam then followed with a RBI single that pushed the Cougars ahead 3-2.

Jason Farrow (2-0, 0.63 ERA) came on in relief of McDonald in the seventh to pick up his third save of the year.

"Those guys went out and did a great job," said Houston coach Rayner Noble of Box and McDonald. "Anytime you get pitching like that, we can win. "We had some dynamite plays out there today (defensively). That, combined with our pitching, gave us the wins."

Cougars pitcher Bo Hernandez (1-2, 7.36 ERA) was slated to start Saturday's eventual loss. But during his warm-up tosses, Hernandez heard something pop in his elbow. Hernandez is expected to be checked by the team doctor today.

Hernandez was replaced by right-handed senior David Hamilton (0-2, 4.67).

However, Hamilton got off to a rough start by getting behind in the count 3-0 to the first batter he faced. Hamilton later threw two wild pitches, but still got out of the inning without a run scoring.

But a 2-0 lead taken in the third inning turned out to be all the Cowboys would need.

The Cougars bats could muster only seven hits against Cowboys pitcher Jeff Hebert.

"Hebert was really good today," McNeese head coach Jim Ricklefsen said. "He was hitting his spots and his curveball was moving well."

TRACK SET FOR NCAA INDOORS

by M. S. Ameen

Though the Houston weather was less than desirable, the Carl Lewis Relays in Robertson Stadium Saturday succeeded in allowing some sunlight into a few young athletes' careers.

Student-athletes from 18 high schools had the opportunity to experience a track-and-field competition in a collegiate atmosphere.

Notwithstanding the community-oriented flavor of the meet, the Houston track team managed to get its first taste of the outdoor season.

Junior Sheddric Fields won the long jump with a mark of 25 feet, 3 1/2 inches. Other Cougars men who took top honors were Kenneth Bigger (high jump), Oscar Bauman (3,000-meter run), Wayne Newsom (1,500-meter), Paul Lupi (800-meter) and Nathan Labus (pole vault).

The women's 4x100-meter relay team bested the rest of the competition by running a 46.06-second time.

Additional first-place finishers for the women were Katrina Harris (high jump), Lisa Duffus (400 meter hurdles), Janine Courville (200-meter), Yvonne Williams (800-meter) and Christy Bench (3000-meter).

With the outdoor track season underway, the Cougars found an opportunity to get in some practice for the NCAA Indoor Championships to take place Friday and Saturday in Indianapolis. 

CRANK CHROME-UP

by Deanna Koshkin

The Chrome Cranks, hailing from Cincinnati, will come alive with their punk renditions and unique, fun-filled lyrics Tuesday at Emo's.

Reminiscent of those punk rock '80s, The Chrome Cranks belt it out with "Darkroom" and "Stuck in a Cave," among other jamming tunes.

The band was formed during the summer of 1988 by Peter Aaron, vocals and guitar, and William Weber, guitar. After three years and a whole entourage of members, the two Chrome Cranks members elected to move to New York City in hopes of recording an album and getting signed to a label. In mid-1992, the group located its current bassist, Jerry Teal. After multiple drummers, the band was finally able to settle on its current drummer, Bob Bert.

After finally committing to a stable lineup, The Chrome Cranks put forth their latest self-titled release.

Heavily influenced by the late '70s and early '80s band, The Cramps, which has been dubbed with the name "avant-garde noise," The Chrome Cranks take rough vocals and grinding guitars to a new height.

With a whole barrage of garage rock, The Chrome Cranks give the album a boost with their forceful attitudes and individuality.

The band is currently recording material for future releases for a national tour this fall that will coincide with the release of its debut LP on PCP Entertainment.

Make sure to check out the Chrome Cranks, an industrial punk band not to miss.