INTERNS GAIN EXPERIENCE, PLAN FOR FUTURE

by James Aldridge

Attempting to get a head start on their careers, students in the College of Business Administration intern to gain experience in their fields and to decide if the years spent studying late at night will provide the work they enjoy.

Senior accounting major Carrie Wright is one of these students. She interns at Arthur Andersen in its Internal Auditing Department, which manages the bookkeeping of a client company. Arthur Andersen is known as one of the Big Six accounting firms in the country.

Under a program offered by the firm, Wright works part-time until her December graduation. Even though she has not yet received her B.B.A. in accounting, Wright was offered a full-time position in August at Arthur Andersen upon graduation.

However, an internship does not guarantee a position, Wright said.

"The internship helps with the transition from college life to professional life. Most people don't know what to expect (from working at a company)," she said.

Senior accounting major Mayda Gaznares interned at Mir Fox and Rodriguez, a public accounting firm, in the summer of 1994.

"(Interning) helped me to understand that field. It reassured me that that was the field I wanted to get into," Gaznares said.

"I helped in small projects, I assisted the auditors, and I did a lot of administrative stuff like sending out reports, letters, proofing and some light bookkeeping. I was like a little gopher. I even answered the phones sometimes," she said.

Gaznares enjoyed that Mir Fox and Rodriguez treated her like an equal co-worker while showing her how to follow company procedures, she said.

"I would ask the CPAs what courses were beneficial. They were like mentors. I could ask anyone, and they would help," Gaznares added.

She still keeps in contact with the firm, and she will graduate this May.

Linda Vincent, internship coordinator for the College of Business Administration, said, "We believe internships are a critical part of a student's career. They help students prepare for the real world."

Vincent is the liaison between companies that contact the college looking for interns and the students who seek them. Vincent works together with the internship coordinator at the Career Planning and Placement Center to match students with companies.

Even though the College of Business Administration does not offer college credit for students who intern -- with the exception of students who participate in research projects -- the internships provide an opportunity for students to see the tasks required or expected in their field, and they can decide if their planned career is what they hoped for, Vincent said.

Also, when business students participate in an internship, upon graduation, the companies hire them if the students made a good impression. "Interns usually get first priority when a company is hiring," Vincent said.

Denise Woodard, internship coordinator of the Career Planning and Placement Center, said students who have interned are more marketable than those who have not.

"A large percentage (of students) are offered full-time positions upon graduation. Students will sometimes do an internship in the summer, and by next summer after graduation, those interns will have jobs. (The company) molds you into the type of employee they need," Woodard said.

*******************************************************

UH POLI-SCI RANKING DRAWS MIXED RESPONSE

by Andy Alford

Although the University of Houston's Political Science Department ranked sixth in the nation in productivity and eighth overall for consistent publication in the field's three leading journals, not everyone in the department is completely happy. Kent Tedin, chairman and professor of political science, said, "We are extremely pleased with our rankings. It is an indication of the visibility and importance of the research taking place in our department."

UH President James Pickering said, "The faculty of the Political Science Department are to be commended for their contribution to the university as a whole, and for their work individually and collectively with their students."

In addition, Richard M. Rozelle, dean of the School of Social Sciences, said, "This is the most rigorous reflection of an academic department's enduring reputation and integrity.

"We are truly honored to have this world-class group of social scientists as members of our college and university," Rozelle said.

Yet Tedin said he is concerned that the university's failure to substantially reward award-winning faculty may result in the loss of excellent professors.

UH needs to match offers made to faculty by other universities so that the Political Science Department doesn't lose good people, Tedin said.

Convincing UH that the faculty it loses out of nationally recognized departments need to be replaced with faculty at comparable levels of excellence is important, Tedin said.

"We are ahead of a lot of departments in truly outstanding universities such as Harvard, Ohio State and UCLA. The entire department has proven its ability to produce and publish its outstanding research," Tedin added.

However, he said, "The university does not make any particular awards for its departments that are nationally recognized."

A university's rank is determined by the amount of publications per faculty member, by departmental ranking as assigned by "U.S. News and World Report" and by the number of publications in the top trade journals for the past decade.

"Particularly important is the fact that the three journals used to compile the rankings are the most prestigious in the discipline," Tedin said.

Announced last month by the State University of New York at Stony Brook, the annual ranking scores are compiled from the number of articles published from 1985 to 1994 in the American Political Science Review, the American Journal of Political Science and the Journal of Politics. Including research notes, all articles are included in the count, with the exception of book reviews and book review essays.

OOPS! WHERE ARE THE MICS?

SA debates start late; candidates make big promises

by James V. Geluso

The Students' Association debates got off to a rough start Monday when the candidates and organizers arrived at the UC-Satellite to find that the sound equipment had not yet arrived.

At 11:30 a.m., when the debates were scheduled to start, no one from the Student Program Board, which was to provide sound equipment, had shown up.

A phone call by SA President Angie Milner, made from the Etcetera convenience store to the SPB office, revealed that the person responsible for bringing the equipment had slept in. Some equipment arrived about 20 minutes later, and the debates commenced at noon.

SPB Chairman Dale Furneaux said the delay occurred because he couldn't find any microphones. "We had a band last week that actually took the microphones," he said.

SA Senate Speaker Jeff Fuller said the late start was intentional. "We wanted to catch the people coming out of the (11 a.m. to noon) classes," he said. However, all the panelists and candidates had been ready at 11:30 a.m.

Candidates representing four parties answered questions from a panel. In attendance were Henry Bell, presidential candidate from the Peoples' Party; John Olszewski, vice presidential candidate from the Party Party; Giovanni Garibay, presidential candidate from CLASS; and Hunter Jackson and K.K. Lilie, presidential and vice presidential candidates from LEAD.

Two of the candidates promised radical changes. Jackson said if his party doesn't take action on the four issues of his platform by Nov. 7, SA will hold a referendum at which students can choose to abolish SA.

Olszewski said the members of his party will donate half of their salaries to a fund to improve the university. He said the fund would be used to improve the campus grounds and buildings. "I don't know if you've noticed, but there are a bunch of mud pits around campus, and that really sucks," he said.

Garibay and Jackson both mentioned $13,000 in savings by eliminating some administrative positions, which SA passed earlier this year. Garibay, who sponsored the bill, focused on it as indicative of what SA would do under his leadership. Jackson picked out the already-passed act as the first thing he would implement in the new Senate.

Bell repeatedly focused on student services as the main issue his administration would address. The Bursar's Office and Agnes Arnold Hall drew the most ire from Bell as well as from other candidates.

Jackson drew some scattered applause with his "Teacher Assessment Accessibility Act," a plan to make teacher evaluations accessible through computer terminals in the library.

All four candidates predicted the university administration would go along with the reforms they proposed.

"If we put a piece of legislation that the students want on (President Pickering's) desk, and he vetoes that, I think there will be 31,000 pissed-off people," Jackson said.

PROPOSED AIR QUALITY PERMIT TO CLEAN UP UH

Large signs will begin to appear on and around the UH campus today announcing that the University of Houston has applied for a "proposed air quality permit."

Marcel Blanchard, UH director of Utility Services, said, "These signs are notifications that we have applied for a construction permit to replace the burners in two of our three boilers. The boilers are natural gas-fired, and we use them to supply steam. This notification is a requirement of the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission, the agency responsible for the permitting of emission sources. They have emission standards for boilers, and our existing burners would not comply with those requirements."

The TNRCC requires the signs be posted for 30 days, requires the university advertise the proposed permit for a two-day run in local newspapers and offers an opportunity for anyone opposed to the permit to respond.

The law also required UH to do a survey of the local school district to determine whether a bilingual notification was necessary. Blanchard said the survey determined that a bilingual notification was necessary and UH has complied with that requirement.

"The good news in all this, as far as I am personally concerned, is we are going to install these new burners in our boilers as soon as we can get the construction permit approved," Blanchard said. "That will result in about a 50 percent reduction in the amount of emissions from the boilers."

Blanchard estimated the cost at around $90,000 to replace the burners with what he called "the best available technology: low-nox, low-emissions burners."

"This is a very positive way to spend our money," he said.

According to Blanchard, the new burners will significantly reduce the amount of nitrous oxide (nox), carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide emissions from the boilers.

"The new burners include a forced gas re-circulation," Blanchard said. "Just like a car takes the exhaust fumes from the crankcase and recirculates them, we will be taking the hot exhaust gas and recirculating it. This provides a much more complete combustion."

Two of the three boilers were installed in 1985 as part of a capital improvement project. The third boiler is older and, therefore, is "grandfathered." Replacement of the burners on that boiler will not be necessary as it is only used as an emergency back-up.

Blanchard discovered the problem with the burners last year when he took over as director of Utility Services.

"Anytime you take a new position, one of the first things you do is assess what you have," Blanchard said.

During the burner replacement, the Utility Services Department will use a back-up boiler to replace the shut-down boiler. "We don't anticipate any problems," Blanchard said. "After the permitting is complete, we hope to get one boiler done during this fiscal year, and the other one next year."

As noted on the signs, anyone who has question, or who objects to the proposed permit can call the TNRCC at (713) 625-7900.

COUNTDOWN TO DALLAS

LOST CAREERS: EVANS, WILES MAKING MOST OF REMAINING UH HOOPS DAYS

Fans at Saturday's game with Southern Methodist may have noticed a couple of familiar faces in the Cougars' starting lineup.

Not familiar from this season, though.

Senior guards Lloyd Wiles and Tyrone Evans, both of whom have flashed productivity in the past, have been lost in the shuffle of a rebuilding team this year.

While freshman guards Tommie Davis and Damon Jones have received most of the minutes and all of the media attention this year, the elder statesmen have been out of the spotlight.

Evans has averaged 14.7 minutes a game and 4.2 points in 22 games. Wiles has barely been seen outside of practice, getting into only four games with a high of five minutes played, making his other numbers negligible.

"I was taught that team is not 'Me, myself, I should get more minutes,’ " Wiles said. "The guys out there do a pretty good job; they just have to have time to get into the groove of it, try to get more discipline, work with each other.

"That develops a team more than any one person."

For Evans, the lack of play is only a mild disappointment compared to the setbacks he has already suffered. The 6-1 Louisiana native broke his foot three games into his junior year in 1992-93, when he averaged 10 points and shot .529 as the team's sixth man.

He received a medical redshirt that season, enabling him to come back and play two more years. Unfortunately, the next season, he broke the same foot the first day of practice.

"I worked out hard that summer, got myself prepared, had a good preseason that year, then came in the first day of practice and broke it again," Evans said. "I was looking forward to being at full strength that season, and that really set me back."

Having started the first five games of the year, Evans played his first start since Dec. 10, 1994, Saturday against USC.

"I have to go in there and play hard whatever time I get," he said. "I hoped I could have been a little bit more of a contributor to the team this year, but things don't always work out like you want."

Wiles led the team in 3-point shooting in 1993-94 with a .474 percentage. He averaged 6.1 points a game in 15.4 minutes, a valuable reserve.

"Any competitive athlete, they want to go out there and do the things they do best," Wiles said. "My game is basketball.

"It (not playing) doesn't bother me as much because I'm a senior and I want to be a part of this team and win games, not for individual statistics, scoring or 3-point percentage or anything like that."

Wiles left the team at the beginning of the year to focus on academics, a break which lasted until he made his first appearance against SMU on Jan. 28.

"I left the team for the benefit of me as a person, as a whole," Wiles said. "Basketball is just a facet of me as a person. I am a student-athlete, not an athlete-student by any stretch of the imagination."

Wiles is still an impressive athlete. At 6-2, he can slam the ball as easily as he can drain a three.

"Easy" is a good way to describe the Westbury High graduate's shooting stroke. Having popped treys all year in practice, he sank his first and only try of Saturday's game like he'd never left.

"I've been doing it since high school," Wiles said of his bombing ability. "I was one of the best in the Southwest Conference last year in percentage, and I was one of the best in high school, statistically."

When the Cougars face Texas Christian Thursday at 3 p.m. in Dallas' Reunion Arena, it is up to chance whether the two seniors will get any playing time.

For both men, going out so quietly isn't what they deserve.

UH'S RUCKER COULD BE KEY IN TOURNEY

WOMEN'S GUARD PRODUCTIVE DESPITE THREE-GAME SKID

Unlike the rest of her Houston Lady Cougars teammates, guard Tanda Rucker is coming into this week's Southwest Conference Postseason Classic on a roll.

While Houston was losing its last three games of the regular season, falling from second to fourth in the league during the last week of conference play, the 5-9 junior seemed to pick up her game and take it to the next level.

"It's tournament time," Rucker said. "I know that it's do-or-die and all-or-nothing for us, so I'm just trying to step up my game."

Thus far, she has succeeded.

During the Cougars' last two losses, Rucker scored a combined 32 points. And in Houston's final regular season game at Texas last Wednesday (a 74-53 Cougars loss), Rucker poured in 17 points, her best offensive output since a 28-point effort on Jan. 2 vs. Kansas.

"Tanda is going to be one of the main keys for us this week," said Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw. "She's a winner, and coming from (1992 national champion) Stanford, she lives for this type of competition."

Said Rucker: "With my experience in the (NCAA) Tournament, I know I'm gonna be ready.

"Actually, I think that all of us are going to be ready."

Houston (13-13, 7-7 in the SWC), seeded fourth in Dallas' tourney, will face fifth-seeded Rice (11-15, 7-7) at noon Wednesday at Southern Methodist's Moody Coliseum .

DON'T MAKE ROOM FOR CHEESY FILM <I>ROOMMATES<P>

Peter Falk plays Rocky and D. B. Sweeney plays his grandson, Michael in <I>Roommates<P>, a film by Houstonian Max Apple.

Photo by Bob Marshak/Hollywood

<I>Roommates<P>

Stars: Peter Falk and D. B. Sweeney.

Director: Peter Yates

Stars: two and a half

by Eric James

<I>Roommates<P> is based on the story by Rice University Professor Max Apple. The screenplay is by Apple and co-writer Stephen Metcalfe. It's a sweet little story, but it really offers nothing new.

The film begins in Pittsburgh during the summer of 1963. Michael, the main character has just lost his mother, and his father was killed in the Vietnam war. His relatives, already struggling with children of their own, decide to place him in an orphanage. Enter the stubborn old grandfather, Rocky (Peter Falk). Rocky is a Polish baker and he insists on raising young Mikey.

Jump ahead some years to a time when Michael is old enough to be played by D.B. Sweeney. Mike is now an intern at a Columbus ER. Meanwhile, back in Pitt, Rocky refuses to leave his now-condemned building. Mike comes to Rocky and persuades him to move to Columbus and live with him.

Mike lives in a boarding house with four Chinese students, whom Rocky lovingly calls "Communists." The place is, of course, a mess. Then what happens? Why, Rocky cleans the place up, of course.

The movie is full of these stock situations. Mike is working on a patient in the ER and the resident doctor can't come save the patient, so Mike saves the patient himself, a task in which he is not supposed to partake.

Mike meets this sweet social worker, Beth (played by the beautiful Julianne Moore), and they fall in love. When Mike arranges for Beth and Rocky to meet (after Rocky has already caught them <I>in the act<P>), Rocky makes a stew chock-full of meat. Beth is (all together now) a vegetarian.

Rocky is a stock, stubborn, cantankerous old man who always acts tough, but deep down is infinitely wise and sweet. Actor Ernie Sabella best describes Rocky when he says, "He has the personality of a clinched fist."

Mike is the stubborn grandson, who is just like his grandfather but refuses to admit it. Even Beth's mother, Judith (Ellen Burstyn), is the stereotypical mother-in-law whom we dislike, and whose first words to her daughter are, "Get your hair out of your face. Show people how pretty you are." She also only likes Michael when she discovers he's a doctor.

The dialogue is sometimes cheesy, like when Beth says, "Can I ask you a medical question? Is this an erection?" and the end of the movie drags. Rocky's make-up also makes him look like Yoda from <I>Star Wars<P> much too often.

There is an occasional narrative that is awkward, and there's a hint that the authors are trying to make an underlying parallel between the action and the seasons.

The best part of the movie is the musical score by Elmer Bernstein. He uses lots of great brass with some clarinets complimenting the bass. However, the acting is good and the movie allows for some truly funny moments.

The movie delivers a nice message on how we all need to be loved and cared for by somebody. No matter how much we protest for independence, we ultimately need companionship.

In the end, <I>Roommates<P> is a typical story complete with a stock happy ending and a tear-jerking twist. If you've seen anything that sounds similar to this, <I>Roommates<P> will hold nothing new for you.

GET CAUGHT UP IN WONDERLAND

Photo by Gary Bankhead/Pulse Productions

Local artist Carolyn Wonderland & the Imperial Monkeys performed Friday at Dan Electro's Guitar Bar.

by Kevin Brammer

When Carolyn Wonderland sings, she becomes pure energy -- both spiritually dominating and physically overwhelming. A "bluesman" in the truest sense, she can moan with desire and play her guitar in ways that make most men tremble.

After spending the last three weeks on the road to Minneapolis; Chicago; Boulder, Colo.; and elsewhere, Carolyn Wonderland and the Imperial Monkeys are back home with a slightly new line-up.

Drummer Leesa Harrington, formerly of the Joint Chiefs, said she has been performing happily with the band for more than a month now. Percussionist J.P. "Boogieman" plays with several local bands, including Global Village and The Hightailers.

More familiar members include bassist Chris King, guitarist Eric Dane (who "was born to a three-headed Alaskan love slave," according to Calvin Hall, bassist for The Hightailers), and, of course, Wonderland. The band's reception was a warm one Friday night at Dan Electro's Guitar Bar in the Heights. Its tight, homestyle rhythm and blues filled the small makeshift dance floor in front of the stage with the free-form dancing so familiar to the Heights' crowd.

Dane played flawlessly as usual, and both King and Wonderland broke strings during the show, which J.P. unabashedly attributed to his incredibly tight performance with Harrington. Absent that night was guitarist Screamin' Kenny Blanchet, of The Hightailers.

Dan Electro's, its walls adorned with the vintage namesake guitars, rarely fails to live up to its standards of live music; and hearing the band that could easily call this stage "home," one cannot help but be impressed.

With Texas accent and honest spirit, the music of Carolyn Wonderland and the Imperial Monkeys faithfully upholds the definition of rhythm and blues. Yet, Wonderland adds a youthful, feminine perspective that is refreshing in this genre. Listening to Wonderland sing playfully into the microphone in this neighborhood bar has become a local treat, and it would be a great misfortune to miss hearing this band perform in its native venue.

FERRY MAKES MOODY MUSIC ON <I>MAMOUNA<P>

by Jim Presnell

Bryan Ferry pushes the envelope of his talents even further on "Mamouna," his first release in a new arrangement with the Virgin label. He brings to this record a strong sense of the visual, an atmospheric quality, a talent for making songs that work in picturesque ways. "It's a moody album," he said to CNN recently.

Ferry, some may remember, formerly led the glamour/art-rock band, Roxy Music, and on this record reunites with many of his old bandmates.

There seems to exist a fascination with the painted smiles and made-up faces of the showgirl on this record. The affinity Ferry has always felt for the visual side of making and presenting his music comes through strongly here. As he croons sweetly of the ennui related to all the things the performing artist goes through, he penetrates the deepest layers of our subconscious minds.

For instance, in "Your Painted Smile," he sings, "Too fast to live / Too young to die / One stolen kiss babe / A certain smile ..."

On the title track, Ferry asks the character, "So you say / You're living just for fun / Isn't it enough? ... The ghost of yesterday / Hack and tear / We're prisoners of loving ... "

The musicians, as always, are some of the most talented in the world, including guitarists Phil Manzanera and Nile Rodgers, from Roxy Music and Chic, respectively; Nathan East and Steve Ferrone on bass and drums, respectively; Mike Paice and Andy Mackay on saxophones; and Brian Eno on 'sonic treatments,' which include ambiance and swoop treatments.

The frequently shifting moods of the record bring one to hopeful moments and bleak ones.

Ferry has always had the talent for seeing into the heart of the good times, the parties and the music making. He sees the intrinsic emptiness that lies underneath.

One most exceptional aspect of this release is that Ferry, once again, teams up with ex-Roxy keyboard player, Brian Eno. One might have thought the two would never again work together. Happily, here they come together to make sonic textures that truly have depth and style on this record.

Eno also recently teamed up again with John Cale, and we all know the Velvet Underground patched things up for a brief tour and a sometimes brilliant live album. Wonders never cease. Why, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant will team up again next. Ha!

Again producing with Ferry this time around is Robin Trower. They make a good team, sympathetic to each other's talents.

The low-key quality to this music makes it extremely user-friendly. It's an album one could play anytime, anywhere.

CATCH CRAZY COMEDY

by Rashda Khan

Life wouldn't be life without obstacles. Some obstacles are bigger than others, but all serve to impede. Everyone has to struggle at various points in life. Yes, even comedians, who work to make people laugh.

No one knows this better than Chris "Crazy Legs" Fonseca. Crazy Legs has been on the Arsenio Hall Show (twice!); a PBS Special, "Look Who's Laughing"; HBO's "Loco Slam"; Entertainment Tonight; and will be on ABC's Monday night 1995 Comedy Awards. Crazy Legs also happens to have cerebral palsy, which he's had since birth.

Cerebral palsy is a disability resulting from damage to the brain before or during birth, and outwardly manifested by muscular incoordination and speech disturbances. However, Fonseca hasn't let that hold him back. It took great courage for him to decide on his career because, when he gets on stage, he runs the risk that his audience will laugh at him instead of with him. Fonseca walks with a noticeable limp, which earned him the nickname "Crazy Legs." But, if his speech is deliberate, so is his humor.

"I didn't get into comedy to wave any sort of flag about what handicapped people can do. But it is a part of what makes me unique. So I do take that into consideration and try to promote a positive image," said Fonseca.

Another person who knows something about hurdles and achievements is Joseph Baird. Baird didn't allow himself to be an outsider in a world that didn't understand persons with disabilities, as he grew up as a paraplegic (paralysis of the lower half of the body). His attitude has kept him going throughout his life and has aided him tremendously in his most recent challenge: recovering from extensive injuries sustained from an automobile/train collision in August 1989.

On stage, Baird has elevated the use of his crutches to an art form: dancing, running, pivoting and using the crutches to his advantage, much as a skateboard "hot dog" uses two sets of wheels to defy gravity.

Baird writes and plays his own songs. His credits read like a "who's who" of Midwest musicians (Michael Johnson -- "give me wings" "Bluer than Blue," and Prudence Johnson, etc.). His words, whether in song or speech, can turn a person's life around in just one entertaining hour.

Fonseca and Baird will be coming to the University of Houston to take part in a show titled "Breaking Through Walls." "We chose the title to symbolize overcoming obstacles to achieve personal goals and dreams," said Beth Kowalewski, chair of the Visual and Performing Arts Committee of the Student Program Board, who is organizing the event.

"Everyone should do what they can to break through the walls that challenge us. If there were no challenges, there would be no ambition -- no ambition, no satisfaction nor any pride in achievement," she said.

Kowalewski explained that both Fonseca and Baird have broken through walls of challenge and achieved greatness and, therefore, were perfect for doing the show. "There are many who remain unrecognized, and still others who become discouraged. This program is for anyone who has ever had a dream and a doubt," Kowalewski said.

This week, there will be a banner in the University Center called the "Wall of Challenge," on which everyone is encouraged to write down any obstacles he or she has overcome or is trying to overcome. This will be used as a backdrop at the program, "Breaking Through Walls," March 7.

A lecture on the Americans With Disabilities Act will take place from noon to 1 p.m. at the UC-Satellite. Later in the day, there will be a comedy show and concert starting at 7 p.m. in the UC Houston Room. The programs are free to all and will be wheelchair-accessible.