SADDLE UP: BOOT-SCOOTIN' STARTS TONIGHT

by Jessica Ellis

Frontier Fiesta 1995 opens tonight at 6 p.m. in Fiesta City and continues through Saturday night.

In its fourth year since its revival, Frontier Fiesta will take place across the street from Entrance 1 on Calhoun.

Student organizations, alumni organizations and Houston-area cook-off teams will participate in the festivities.

Barbecue cook-off teams will compete for trophies in various categories, including chili, fajitas, chicken, brisket and beans.

Entertainment will include variety shows, which will also be judged and awarded.

Carnival booths and rides will be on-site, and food vendors will be on-hand selling barbecue and other food and drink.

Cook-off booths will be serving their invited guests. Others may purchase tickets to be redeemed for a plate at these booths.

Live entertainment, including local bands and UH talent, will be featured on the Midway stage.

Scholarships for high school and college students will be awarded by the Frontier Fiesta Association.

Admission is free, and the event is open to the public.

"The whole purpose of Frontier Fiesta is to give back," Frontier Fiesta Chairwoman Julie Baumgarten said. "Any (Frontier Fiesta Association) profit made goes to the library."

Individual student booths are donating half of their proceeds to M.D. Anderson Library.

In the case of rain, the activities will commence Friday at noon.

*******************************************************

SA FINALLY GETS NEW PRESIDENT

by James Geluso

Students' Association President Giovanni Garibay and Vice President Dom Lewinsohn were sworn in Wednesday night after a hearing before the University Hearing Board to address complaints about the runoff election.

The complaints, filed by Arthur White III, a senator-elect who ran with the Peoples' Party, alleged that problems with polls opening late and closing early gave Garibay an advantage over Peoples' Party candidate Henry Bell. White asked the board to grant another runoff.

White also alleged that Garibay and people campaigning for Garibay had violated the rule prohibiting campaigning within 50 feet of the polls.

Ashley Gillespie, campaign manager for the Peoples' Party, said in his testimony that an African-American math major had been turned away from the polls at PGH. The poll worker, according to Gillespie, told the student that math majors did not vote at PGH. A white math major was then allowed to vote. "I think it's very clear that there was racism in this runoff," Gillespie told the board.

Garibay responded to the complaints by denying that his candidacy benefitted. "When the polls weren't open on time, my friends couldn't vote either," he said.

Garibay also denied any problems with the 50-foot limit. He called three witnesses to testify that no campaigner was any closer to the polls than any other. "If one party was too close, then both were," Garibay said.

White alleged that when certain polls were opened before others, the polls where the Peoples' Party voter base was located were opened last. "The Potential Party, which swept the College of Engineering in the general election, had made an alliance with the Peoples' Party, and the location where engineering votes (Architecture Building) was opened late."

Election Commissioner Robert Kramp said he opened the locations at PGH and the University Center first because they were the busiest locations.

Bell, making the closing statement for White's case, said he felt the runoff was conducted poorly. "If I didn't feel it was unfair, I wouldn't be here," he said. "All I ask for is a fair opportunity to win."

After a long deliberation, the board ruled that, while the rules were violated and the election run less than satisfactorily, neither candidate benefitted from the problems.

While no further runoff will be held, the board said it will make a proposal to the SA Senate concerning ways to improve the elections in the future.

UH TAKES PART IN NATIONAL TOURISM FORUM

HRM STUDENT QUESTIONS PANEL

by Roslyn Lang

The real value of the National Campus Forum on Tourism is to identify the hotel and hospitality industry to students, said Alan T. Stutts, dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

"(The conference) reinforces the importance of this industry. It also shows that the career opportunity (in this industry) is as bright as it might be in the sciences or the legal profession or other aspects of the business world," Stutts said.

UH junior Steven Moran, an HRM major, participated in the interactive, nationwide conference by asking a question of a panel made up of an industry cross-section.

Moran said he wanted to know "the most important thing that we can do as students to raise the stature of the industry." He said, "(Travel and tourism) is one of the leading employers around the world. We hope that by addressing the panel, we can get an answer."

The live video conference was held Wednesday from 1 to 2 p.m. in the UH Hilton's Grand Ballroom. The conference linked some 60,000 students from all 50 states -- with 300 universities attending -- to undersecretary of Commerce for Travel and Tourism Greg Farmer and a panel at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C.

The UH Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management received national visibility as an added benefit of Moran's participation, Stutts said.

Joseph Riley, director of communications at the college, said, "This is a first-time-ever, White House-level conference focusing on this industry." Travel and tourism is the second-largest industry in the nation in terms of employment and the third-largest retail industry. The scope of the industry and its economic significance to the country prompted both the campus conference and a White House-level conference, scheduled for Oct. 30-31, Riley said.

The conference was designed to excite students about careers in tourism and inform them of issues on which the upcoming White House Conference on Travel and Tourism will be focusing, he said.

Moran said he is coordinating a study tour for faculty and students on club and casino management in Australia; he is in the Honors College and president of Delta Phi Alpha Honor Society. He has worked as a research and teaching assistant for the editor of an academic journal.

Moran said that after graduation, he wants to join an international hotel group on the corporate level to do marketing.

Stutts said, "(Moran) is a fairly representative person, having blended a good approach to the classroom and having done well in the industry. He has also done a lot of things internationally within the hotel industry on his own."

Riley said he contacted the sponsoring organizations of the conference to look into the possibility of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management participating in the conference on an active basis. "We were delighted when Steven was selected (to ask a question of the panel)," he said.

Sponsors of the conference were the American Hotel and Motel Association and the Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management, in cooperation with the White House Conference on Travel and Tourism.

UH STUDENT-ATHLETES TO BE HONORED AT UC CELEBRATION

Cougar sports services

The UH athletic department, in conjunction with the Office of the Vice-President for Student Affairs and the University Center, will celebrate the eighth annual National Student-Athlete Day Thursday at the UC.

"It's a way for the university to say that it is proud of its student-athletes and their accomplishments, on and off the field, over the year," said UH academic advisor Gerri Murphy.

Murphy is coordinating the project with fellow advisor Dave Seiler.

"For this day, we put more emphasis on the academic side, to stress the importance of academics and to show our support for the student-athletes in their classroom endeavors."

Festivities are slated to begin at noon on the UC's North Patio; they will feature a recognition ceremony with Houston Athletic Director Bill Carr.

Assistant athletic director for academic affairs Janice Hilliard, vice president for student affairs Elwyn Lee and former University of Houston student-athlete Jolanda Jones will also participate in the ceremony.

The recognition ceremony is open to all interested parties.

To conclude the day's schedule, a reception and panel discussion will follow. The discussion will center on current issues relating to intercollegiate athletics and will feature current UH athletes.

Football player Thomas McGaughey and volleyball player Emily Leffers are expected to attend.

DEPP'S DON JUAN A QUIRKY, ROMANTIC COMEDY

JOHNNY DEPP PLAYS ANOTHER ODD CHARACTER, THE LATIN LOVER DON JUAN DEMARCO, IN THE FILM OF THE SAME NAME.

Photo by Merrick Morton/New Line Cinema

by Joey Guerra

From <I>Crybaby<P> to <I>Edward Scissorhands<P> to <I>Ed Wood<P>, Johnny Depp has made a career of playing offbeat characters in quirky movies. It comes as no surprise, then, that Depp's latest movie, <I>Don Juan De Marco<P>, continues down that odd path.

The movie begins with Don Juan (Depp) atop a billboard, prepared to commit suicide because of a broken heart. Psychiatrist Jack Mickler (Marlon Brando) is sent to talk the kid out of it because, well, he seems a little cuckoo. After all, he is claiming to be the greatest lover in the world and wearing 17th-century Spanish-swordsman attire. Don Juan agrees (perhaps a little too easily) to come down, and Dr. Mickler commences to "cure" him of his delusions.

Working from this intro, <I>Don Juan De Marco<P> is a breeze of a movie with its heart in the right place. It's just a little out of focus. The film is energized by an outstanding performance from Depp and a whimsical, fable-like quality.

Once in the clutches of the shrink, Don Juan tells his woeful tale of love and heartbreak. He tells Mickler of his upbringing in Mexico and his first love, Dona Julia (Talisa Soto). Sadly, their affair did not last, and Don Juan was soon kidnapped by a troop of Arabs.

Once in their hands, he served as a sex slave to the Sultana Gulbeyaz (Jo Champa) and the 1500 girls in the Sultan's harem. Needless to say, the whole experience took a lot out of him. When he was finally released, Don Juan encountered his true love, Dona Anna (Geraldine Pailhas). Alas, the two were not to remain together; they were torn apart by his sexcapades. So, Don Juan lives for the day they will be reunited and live as one.

Meanwhile, Don Juan's romanticism is affecting Dr. Mickler in a strange way. A new life is burning within him, and he rekindles romance with his wife, Marilyn (a miscast Faye Dunaway), who thought their fire was extinguished long ago. While it's great to see Dunaway's beautiful face on the big screen, she seems too glamorous to play the frumpy housewife. Can you really imagine her cooking dinner and mopping floors? This is in no way her fault, though. She just naturally radiates style and sophistication.

Brando, on the other hand, is a problem. Disregarding the fact that he's blown up to the size of a house, his performance is really not that great. It's hard to understand him when he speaks, and he looks like he's wearing a truckload of makeup. Granted, he's over 70 years old, but there's no disguising mediocre acting.

Outshining the veterans and the rest of the movie is Depp. His performance as the Lord Byron-based character is seductive and charismatic. His accent is perfect throughout, which is no small feat, considering other accent disasters (Can you say Kevin Costner in <I>Robin Hood<P>?). Depp really does give one of his best performances, and, hopefully, he will receive the credit he deserves, which usually doesn't happen.

The music and photography by Michael Kamen and Ralf Bode, respectively, are in sync with the movie's romantic flavor. The scenes involving Don Juan's story are especially well-shot, drenched in glorious light and bright colors. Depp's costumes, by Kenneth R. Smiley, are also wonderful.

At its heart, <I>Don Juan<P> speaks of the beauty within all women, regardless of faults. Don Juan just helps women realize their value and show it to the rest of the world. Maybe he's not really the Latin lover he claims to be, but his appeal make his success with women no surprise. Don Juan lives within him; his real identity is irrelevant.

Sweet and funny, <I>Don Juan De Marco<P> will surely light the candle of romance flickering in your heart. There are no overt sex scenes, violence or graphic nudity. The movie needs a little more focus, though, and a tighter sense of coherence.

Also extremely noteworthy in the movie is a cameo appearance by Tejano star Selena, who plays a mariachi singer in the restaurant scenes. Selena was murdered one week before the release of what was to be her American film debut and probably the first of many successes in the English-language market. Her rich, beautiful voice can also be heard on the movie's soundtrack, and both her cameo and the soundtrack serve as touching tributes to her music and her legacy.

Don Juan De Marco

Stars: Johnny Depp, Marlon Brando

Director: Jeremy Leven

**1/2 stars

GILLETTE HAS NO TEENY-WEENY HIT ON HER HANDS

FORMER UH STUDENT GILLETTE WILL PROMOTE HER FIRST ALBUM, <I>ON THE ATTACK<P>, TONIGHT AT KABOOM.

Photo by Dorothy Low/Zoo Entertainment

by Joey Guerra

"Eeny-weeny/Teeny-weeny/Shriveled little/Short, short man . . . " Those frightening words echo in the minds of men everywhere, who fear that their girlfriends share this "small" opinion. Just who started this obsession with anatomical size?

The artist is 20-year-old Sandra Gillette, and the song is, of course, "Short, Short Man" (at least that's what the "clean" version is called). Since being released as a single in August, Gillette's catchy tune has received continuous airplay on radio stations and in clubs all across the country. It has also struck a nerve, as women worldwide have voiced their support for the sexually charged song. In a February issue of <I>Rolling Stone<P>, actress Demi Moore stated, "It's got a good groove, and you can dance to it. And it just makes me laugh. Because it's such a sweet revenge."

Sweet revenge is what it's all about for Gillette, who majored in theater arts right here at good ol' UH. Her debut album, <I>On The Attack<P>, is a retaliation of sorts against the misogynic attitude of contemporary music -- most notably rap songs, which often degrade women. Though she knows her music will offend some, Gillette says the time is right for her type of message. "Men have been dogging out women like this for a long time, and they expect us just to take it," she says.

Certainly not one to take anything from any man, Gillette's aggressive, street-smart vocals are a perfect match for her music. Songs like "Wanna Wild Thing" and "Coochie Dance" deal with her disappointment with men who can't "hang" as long as she can. The songs are set to catchy beats, and are ready to spin at any club.

One of the album's highlights is "Mr. Personality," the album's second single. The song is a slammin' dance track that lets the ugly men know to keep away from her. The scathing lyrics are often humorous, such as "No matter what you wear/Your face doesn't match/I don't think you were born/You had to be hatched." It is also an obvious tribute to one of the great pop songs of the '80s, Toni Basil's "Mickey."

Influences are also important to Gillette, who was born in New Jersey but raised in Romeoville, Ill. This singer, of Puerto Rican, Mexican and French heritage, lists a varying number of influences, such as the B-52s, Van Halen, 2 Live Crew and the Beastie Boys, some of which are clearly heard on her debut disc.

"I'm On The Attack" and "Pay Back" practically pay homage to the early work of the Beasties, and they, too, continue the sarcastic tone heard at the start of the album. While Gillette's music has prompted answering songs and accusations of male-bashing, she takes it all in stride.

"Sure, there are people who are going to be offended by this music, but I also know that women are accepting it, and dancing to it."

If you feel the urge to dance to the beats of Gillette, check her out when she performs tonight at Kaboom with Fem 2 Fem. Don't worry if you're not up to "expectations," just don't let her get too close a look.