UH, MEXICAN COLLEGE SYSTEM FORTIFY VENTURE

The University of Houston plans to strengthen its ties in the coming years with the Instituto Technologico Y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey System in Monterrey, Mexico, said UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt.

"With NAFTA, we think it is to the advantage of the University of Houston to have the highest quality partner institution in Mexico," Schilt said. "It is important, as we identify

opportunities for students and faculty and the community in Mexico, that we have the right partner there to help us implement those programs, and in the case of Monterrey Institute of Technology, to use some of the things they are doing and bring them here."

Schilt, UH Board of Regents Chairwoman Wilhelmina R. "Beth" Morian and regents Elizabeth Ghist and Vidal Martinez recently flew to Monterrey for a one-day visit to the

Monterrey Institute. They were joined on the trip by UH President James H. Pickering, UH-Clear Lake President Glenn Goerke, UH-Downtown President Max Castillo, UH-Victoria President Lesta Turchen and six members of the UH System staff.

Also along on the trip were Miguel San Juan, head of the World Trade Division of the Greater Houston Partnership, and Francisco de Cossio Gonzales, counsel general of Mexico in Houston.

The group flew to Monterrey on two private jets. "We flew down on a Shell plane and on Mrs. Morian's plane," Schilt said. "All expenses were totally donated."

During a short eight-hour visit in Monterrey, the group toured ITESM's Biotechnology Center, Environmental Quality Center and Manufacturing Laboratory Center.

At a noon luncheon with ITESM regents, administrators and faculty, Morian said, "In spite of recent turbulence in the political and economic landscape, I want to reaffirm our institutional, as well as our personal, commitment to continue working with you and move our systems to deeper and closer levels of cooperation."

Schilt told the assembly that promoting international programs in higher education has been one of the most gratifying dimensions of his work as chancellor.

"The issue, as I see it, is not whether we will adopt international exchanges and cooperation," Schilt said. "Every university of note is already doing it. I am convinced the

University of Houston System and ITESM have found the right partner, at the right time, for the right program."

According to a cooperative agreement signed in April 1994, the UH System and the ITESM will work to promote cooperation between their various campuses in fields of mutual interest involving faculty and students, utilizing modern technology to promote interaction across the border.

The schools also agreed to "commit, to the extent allowed by law, the necessary resources of

their respective institutions pledged under specific terms of supplemental

agreements." ITESM is a private university system founded in 1943 and includes 26 campuses located in 25 cities throughout Mexico. Total enrollment is approximately 68,000 students.

Currently, UH and ITESM are involved in several projects. The first is a cooperative effort with the UH-Clear Lake Environmental Institute and the ITESM Center for

Environmental Quality.

According to Alvaro Romo of ITESM, the UH-ITESM environmental sciences program has developed three proposals during the year: a proposal on environmental

information technology for a digital environmental library test bed, a research proposal on cross-cultural comparisons of risk assessment and communication in Houston and Monterrey, and a proposal for joint U.S.-Mexican benchmarking of accounting for environmental costs.

Romo said the second area of cooperation involves a small program administered by the UH College of Business Administration. Several ITESM faculty members have concluded their doctoral studies in Business Administration at UH.

Schilt said the third area of cooperation, a pilot program in the area of interactive television programming, will help UH to develop more effective interactive television classes.

"Many of us believe that telecommunications will be increasingly important in the delivery of education in the future," Schilt said.

"As resources become more scarce, you're going to have to find more effective ways of delivering instruction. Monterrey's technology is very attractive to us," Schilt said.

ITESM System Chancellor Rafael Rangel said the university uses the Mexican space satellite to beam televised classes to the various

ITESM campuses.

According to Romo, a pilot program was initiated this semester to beam a Mexican- and Latin-American culture and values course from ITESM to a group of students in Houston.

"The pilot program experience will allow us to improve gradually in terms of the transmission and the numbers of participants," Romo said. "This is an area of particularly great potential as both ITESM and the UH (System) advance to become the 'virtual' university of the 21st century."

Schilt summed up his feeling about the partnership by saying, "If you believe that the future for our students resides increasingly in opportunities out of the country, then you believe that you have an obligation to provide students more opportunities. The opportunities are going to be in Latin America, Asia and India. There's where people are underdeveloped. That's where our markets are."

*******************************************************

UH EDUCATION PROGRAM HELPS DISABLED KIDS

by Michael P. Martin

The office tucked away on the second floor of the Student Services Building is small, even by UH standards. A volunteer sits in a corner, typing quietly at a computer. A staffer answers telephones and shuffles correspondence. A part-time worker assembles a mailing packet at a table that fills nearly half the room. Little of consequence appears to be happening.

Appearances can be deceiving.

This is the Parent Education Project. The work being done here helps children throughout Texas -- children to whom life has dealt a hand of abuse or physical or mental disability -- lead happier lives.

The Parent Education Project began in 1976 as an effort to provide continuing education for foster parents in a 13-county area, according to Angie Grindon, the project's director.

"At the time, foster parents were required by the state to undergo 15 hours of continuing education each year," she said. "We provided the education, and within two years were asked to do it for the entire state."

Foster parents are those who take in and care for children who are removed from their homes by the state for their own safety.

In 1981, the state decided that foster parents should organize their own educational resources, Grindon said, so a clearinghouse was formed within the project to distribute educational material to those parents.

The clearinghouse has stockpiled information on almost every conceivable problem a child could experience, according to Grindon, and serves not only foster parents, but adoptive parents as well.

"Some foster parents eventually adopt children in their charge," she said, "and they must deal with problems resulting from the physical and sexual abuse of their children as well as those of crack-addict babies, AIDS babies and those suffering from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome."

An offshoot of the Parent Education Project clearinghouse is the Disabilities Clearinghouse, which provides information both for parents of children with disabilities and for those who, themselves, suffer from them.

Elaine Hime, coordinator of the Disabilities Clearinghouse, said the effort came about partly because she could not find help and information she needed to deal with her 4-year-old son, Rutherford, who suffers from microcephaly and cerebral palsy and is developmentally delayed and legally blind.

"I compiled my own resource guide," she said, "and then I met Ms. Grindon. I showed her the guide. She offered me a job."

The goal of the Parent Education Project, said Grindon, is to provide a one-stop center for parenting information, information that is easy to understand. "We're in academia, but the information we provide can be read by just about anyone," she said.

Starting May 1, Grindon said, the Parent Education Project and the Harris County Parenting Education Coalition will provide a single telephone number for parents to call to obtain any information they might need. "We've been working on it for seven years," Grindon said, "and we're pretty excited."

Volunteers are needed to help with the work, Grindon added. Internships for social work students are also provided. You can find out more by calling 743-5435.

LOT 20A UTILIZED FOR FIESTA RIDES

Cougar news services

Heavy rains this week have prevented the set-up of the carnival rides on the Frontier Fiesta site, forcing the group to utilize part of Lot 20A for the event.

The authorization came from President James H. Pickering.

In a memo to the university community, Pickering wrote, "I sincerely regret any inconvenience to the university community. It was precisely not to impose upon student and faculty parking that Frontier Fiesta was moved last year from parking areas to its current site."

The carnival ride set-up will require utilizing approximately one-half (163 to 170) of the 326 parking spaces in Lot 20A.

"I know that the Frontier Fiesta Association worked very hard to obtain the carnival rides in an effort to provide special entertainment for the children, faculty, staff, students and their guests," Pickering wrote.

The decision came as the result of a request made by Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee.

COOGS TO FACE TECH BATS

3-GAME SET BEGINS TODAY AT 7 P.M.

by M. S. Ameen

The Houston Cougars baseball team will tangle with No. 11 Texas Tech in a three-game series at the new Cougar Field beginning today at 7 p.m. and running through Saturday.

The Red Raiders (29-6, 4-3 in the Southwest Conference) are coming off two consecutive losses to Texas Christian last weekend.

Houston (16-20, 0-11), however, is looking to grab its first SWC win under first-year head coach Rayner Noble. With 13 conference games remaining in the season, Noble said he hopes things will begin to turn around this weekend.

"We played them pretty well (though a 9-7 loss) when they were here for the (March 16-19 SWC First Pitch SWC Tournament)," Noble said. "I think we have a good chance if we can play our type of game."

Tech's dangerous offense and effective pitching make the Raiders a strong team. Led by second baseman Jason Totman (.424 avg.) and third baseman Clint Bryant (.408), who has a 22-game hitting streak, the Raiders are hitting .342 as a team.

The expected rotation for Tech will be righthander Travis Smith (2.50 ERA) and lefthanders Matt Miller (2.61) and Jeff Peck (3.19), who have all combined for a 16-4 record.

"If there's one thing to be concerned about, it's their hitting," Noble said. "We'll have to have outstanding pitching to win."

Houston will be throwing lefthander John Box (2-3, 3.89 ERA) on the mound for tonight's game. In the doubleheader Saturday, Noble plans to use righties Kevin Boyd (0-1, 1.53) and Chad Poeck (2-2, 4.63).

SCREEN, STAGE STAR ADAMS SPEAKS AT UH

by Eric James

Edie Adams. Actress. Singer. Film, stage and television legend. Most of us are too young to remember Adams or her magnificent career. In fact, she is probably best known by our generation as the self-proclaimed "Beverly Hills bitch" in Cheech and Chong's <I>Up In Smoke<P>. Adams' career is so much longer and impressive than just that one simple film.

Born April 16, 1927, Elizabeth Edith Enke dreamed of becoming either an opera singer or a fashion designer. She ultimately decided to attend Juilliard and follow her dream of being a singer. She also attended the Columbia School of Drama and entered show biz thanks to television talent shows. One of those shows was hosted by the late Ernie Kovacs.

Adams and Kovacs wed in 1955, but Kovacs' life was cut short in 1962 when he was killed in a car accident.

On Wednesday, Adams spoke to a group of students in the Communications Building about her career and Kovacs. She is soft-spoken, yet incredibly happy to share entertainment history with anyone who is willing to listen. She is human and instantly likeable.

Once dubbed Miss New York and Miss U.S. TV, Adams had a certain sensuality about her in television and in film. She starred with her husband on the <I>Ernie Kovacs Show<P> for years. After his death, she began her own television show, <I>Here's Edie<P>, for which she received a number of Emmy nominations. Her true passion, though, was Kovacs.

She recently sold her collection of old television reels and kinescopes of the <I>Ernie Kovacs Show<P> to Comedy Central Cable Network. Adams comes alive when she talks about Kovacs and the times she spent on his show.

David Letterman studied Kovac's style, and Kovac's influence can be seen in Letterman's <I>Late Show<P>.

Adams, after witnessing the destruction of hundreds of old television kinescopes in New York harbor, is an avid supporter of saving old films and television shows, saying, "That's our history."

Her film debut came after she had dinner with the great film director, Billy Wilder. He cast Adams in the Oscar-winning <I>The Apartment<P> opposite Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Fred MacMurray. Since then, she has done many films, mainly as secondary characters in many '60s films, as well as <I>Up in Smoke<P>, where she believes "there was a lot of smoking going on."

Her truest passion, save her late husband, is the stage. She prefers the stage to film, stressing she enjoys the adrenaline and the need to fix all problems there at that moment. On Broadway, she starred in <I>Wonderful Town<P> and the original <I>Li'l Abner<P>. Playing Daisy Mae in <I>Li'l Abner<P>, Adams won the coveted Tony. "They gave me a Tony for patience," Adams said.

Adams is show biz history. She and Kovacs were the guests on the last <I>Lucy and Desi Hour<P>, after which Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz's marriage ended. She said Lucy and Desi really did not talk much during that last show and that it was obvious the end had arrived.

She talked about how truly funny Lucille Ball was, yet how serious she was once she began to work.

Adams also starred in the films <I>Lover Come Back<P> and <I>It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World<P>. She is currently back onstage here in the Theatre Under the Stars production of <I>Follies<P>. She plays Heidi Schiller, the 80-year-old opera singer, but she has played just about every role in <I>Follies<P>. Do yourself a favor and go see this entertainment legend in action. The show runs through Sunday. Tickets are $25 to $46. Call 1-800-766-6048.