NEW, CONVENIENT PROGRAM WILL MATCH UH STUDENTS WITH CAR POOL PARTNERS

by Shahida Amin

Beginning Fall 1995, a new program sponsored and run by the Students' Association will allow students to pick car pooling partners on campus, said HFAC Senator Andrea Rachiele.

The program, modeled after one at the University of Wisconsin at Eauclaire, will be relatively simple and require little or no work by the administration, said Clarissa Peterson, former social science senator.

According to Rachiele, SA plans to set up two stations, one at the UC and the other at the Satellite, each containing maps of the city of Houston divided into different sections. Interested students will be able to fill out cards

Rachiele said to relieve students' hesitancy to car pool with people they know little about, the cards will also contain sections where students can specify smoking preferences and musical interests so students may learn some pers

This will help them match up with people they actually wouldn't mind riding with, Peterson said.

After filling out the card, students may place it on pegs located in the appropriate area of town marked on the map. The cards will be marked different colors to differentiate students between those who want to give rides, those

Students can look on the board at the pegs in their section of the city for a compatible partner who fits their needs, or they can fill out their own cards and place them on the map. Upon finding a partner, the student only has t

I think the thing about this program is that it's a lot more convenient for students, Peterson said. "In the past, the stations have been located in E. Cullen. For this, you just have to go to the Satellite or UC. Most people a

For the upcoming year, SA has already allocated $1,000 from the budget for the program. "It won't cost too much to get it started," Peterson said. 'The rest of the money will go for publicity."

According to Peterson, SA is also working with Parking and Transportation to try to arrange discounts for students who car pool. With the new system, car pooling partners may also be allowed to share parking stickers to save cost

*******************************************************

EX-UH WORKER FILES FOR APPEAL

PHYSICAL PLANT WHISTLE-BLOWER ALLEGES HARASSMENT, SHADY ACTIVITY

by Andy Alford

Late at night, when his 9- and 2-year-old daughters are safely tucked away in bed, while his wife sleeps soundly beside him, Dana King stares at the ceiling and thinks about all that he has lost.

King tells a story that spans five years, a story of how he resisted propositions by his superiors to engage in allegedly illegal or unsafe activities.

King sued UH employees Robert Scott, Herbert Collier, Thomas Wray and Paul Postel in a federal court suit in 1990. James Mitchell, King's supervisor in the Plumbing Shop, a part of the Physical Plant, was exempted from the suit b

The bases for King's suit were alleged violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which protects "whistle blowers," and violation of his 14th Amendment right to equal protection under the law. King also alleged brea

King said that in 1985, three years after he began working for UH, the UH Police Department discovered he was a Harris County Constable. He said UHPD asked him to help investigate recurring thefts of Physical Plant equipment.

According to court documents, when King gave the police information implicating Mitchell, King's Plumbing Shop supervisor from 1985 to 1987, the UHPD investigation was dropped. None of the officers who participated in the investi

According to court documents, after discovery of King's part in the investigation, King was accused of not being a team player. King was allegedly told he'd better "get with the program."

According to court documents, King said he was asked to frighten a co-worker on sick leave, Manny Molinas, into returning to work or quitting his job.

According to court documents, King said he was asked to set up criminal charges against the boyfriend of a plant worker's ex-wife.

King maintains that when faced with his flat refusals to participate in these shady activities, a campaign of intimidation was launched against him that ended with his job termination.

In 1987 King was directed to unstop an outside sewer with an electric sewer machine. King said he abandoned his assignment when rain made it too dangerous to continue working. The Physical Plant fired King for leaving the job si

King was later reinstated by the Physical Plant after a post-dismissal hearing.

The situation came to a head in late 1989. King said he was inspecting plumbing in the Fleming Building when he fell and tore a ligament in his shoulder.

In 1990 the UH Physical Plant fired him again while he was home recovering from his injury, King said. He said he filed suit against UH in hopes of recovering the wages and dignity he lost.

A jury believed his story and found UH liable for the "gross occupational harassment" levelled at King. The jury found that Postel and Scott "intentionally inflicted emotional distress on (King)," and that the acts of Postel and

King asked for $1 million in damages. He won $100,002: $80,001 from Postel and $20,001 from Scott.

Wray, now UH director of Physical Plant and Operations, and Collier were cleared of any wrongdoing by the federal court.

Despite the feelings of the jury, Calvin Botley, U.S. magistrate judge, threw out all but $2 of King's award when UH appealed in a state court in 1992.

Botley said that to award $100,000 in punitive damages in King's case, when only $2 worth of actual damages were found, "would jeopardize the integrity of our judicial system. Such a result is not a desirable one."

King is appealing Botley's ruling, but the case remains tangled in the state court system.

UH denies all charges by King, and asserts that King's termination was justified.

Court documents show UH pointed out in the federal proceedings that King didn't fill out the standard accident report after the alleged fall in the Fleming Building.

Furthermore, UH counsel Amy Casteneda said as long as King's supervisors were acting within their positions as his employers, any admonishments or censure directed at King during his employment were within their rights.

King said, "I have a hard time understanding where the justice is. My wife and I went through a bankruptcy – we lost everything."

King has been unable to find another job, he explained, because nobody wants to hire a worker who is suing his former employers.

Right now, I can't buy a job, he said. "They promised me that they'd destroy me, they'd ruin me – that I'd never work in Texas again. They did."

King said the stress of the case and his continuing state of unemployment is taking its toll on his health and sleep.

King said, "Every night, when I think about it all, I think, 'All this, because I told the truth.' "

TOP DISCOVERY ANSWERS UNIVERSAL QUESTIONS

by Roslyn Lang

James Clerk Maxwell, at the age of 14, submitted a paper to the scientists of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in Scotland in 1845. His discovery? Electromagnetic waves, arguably the single most salient finding in history.

The significance of Maxwell's discovery was unknown in 1845, but 150 years later, nothing has had more of an effect on daily human life than electricity, said UH physics Professor Lawrence Pinsky.

The March 2 announcement that the postulated Top quark had been discovered at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill., brought about some of the same "so what?" responses Maxwell probably received in 1845, said

Just what is a Top quark and what does its discovery mean?

Pinsky saiLeptons, which are seen in pairs (+) and (-), are structureless fundamental particles possessing charge, spin and mass, Pinsky said. Baryons, which are seen in three-fold symmetry (+2/3) and (-1/3), looked like composite

The eagerly awaited discovery of the Top quark brought to fruition the theory that Baryons follow the same pattern as Leptons, he said. The obvious hole left in the table of six quarks was at last filled as predicted by the Standa

Empirically, we're beginning to figure out the rules by which nature plays, but not why nature has chosen those rules, Pinsky said.

Only two quarks are currently found in ordinary matter, he said. For example, in the hydrogen atom which is made of one electron and one proton, the proton is made of two Ups (with a charge of +2/3) and one Down (with a charge of

It was not until the use of particle accelerators that the remaining quarks could be identified, he said. Since the Big Bang 10 million to 20 million years ago, supernovas were the only places in nature that possessed enough energ

The energy (or mass) of quarks is measured in millions of electron volts. The enormous energy required to produce the Top quark kept scientists at bay, except for an occasional unconfirmed sighting, until the March discovery, he s

The mass of the Top quark is so surprisingly large, it raises an intriguing question. Why does anything have mass? Whatever causes mass may be more closely related to the Top because it is so massive, said Fermilab's Public Affair

The Tevatron particle accelerator is the only accelerator in the world that has enough energy to produce a Top quark, she said. It has produced 50 to 100 such events. However, when the Main Injector (expected to be operational in

Pinsky said actual sightings of the Top quark are not possible because it is so heavy and unstable that it decays within a trillionth of a second, sending out showers or jets of predicted particles in specific patterns. Detection

Jackson said the discovery of the Top quark probably won't increase gas mileage or slim our thighs, but it will supply fundamental knowledge about the universe.

Maxwell, 150 years ago, could only dream of how things that move at the speed of light would benefit humanity. Perhaps in the year 2145, dreams of the salience of the Top quark's discovery will be realized.

COMEBACK SPURS UH SPLIT AT TCU

FARROW PITCHES, HITS WAY TO 2ND, 3RD SWC VICTORIES

After being involved in 19 one-run games overall and losing five of six such nail-biters in the Southwest Conference, the Houston Cougars had to figure the breaks would come their way eventually.

Who could have known they would all come in one game?

Trailing 14-2 at the end of three innings, the Cougars rallied for an improbable 17-16 victory in 10 innings Friday at the TCU Baseball Diamond, part of a four-game weekend split.

Houston (20-24 overall, 3-15 in the SWC) got four runs in the eighth inning and five in the ninth to tie the game, then took the lead in the 10th on senior transfer Jason Farrow's RBI double.

Farrow, who pitched a scoreless ninth, closed out the Horned Frogs (23-19, 10-8) in the bottom half of the 10th to get the win and move to 4-4 on the year.

Coming as close as is possible in baseball to one-man team status, the former three-year player at Stephen F. Austin was also 5-of-6 in the game with a double, a triple, three runs scored and two RBIs.

Houston dropped the first game of Friday's doubleheader 9-3, then followed that up with the astonishing comeback in the nightcap. The game lasted more than three-and-a-half hours, featuring a combined 44 hits, 33 runs, seven error

The two Saturday games were another even proposition. The Cougars took the first game 7-1 behind starter Kevin Boyd's five strong innings, but blew another good starting effort in the second to go down 6-4.

But it was Farrow who opened eyes with his phenomenal dual-threat performance.

At the plate, Farrow finished the series at 10-of-15 with six runs scored and three RBIs, raising his overall average from .256 to .301. His average in SWC games now stands at a Rogers/Hornsby-like .403.

On the mound, Farrow pitched in three of the four games, notching a win, a save and a no-decision in his 8 2/3 total innings. The righthander gave up only one run, walking two and striking out seven, in his career of a series.

Farrow's five innings of one-run ball in Saturday's second game were wasted when some Cougars errors gave the Horned Frogs (23-19, 10-8 SWC) a breakthrough in the late innings, sticking freshman Jon McDonald (3-3) with the loss.

Boyd's similar performance earlier Saturday resulted in his first win of the season. The senior lefty no-hit TCU for the first 3 1/3 frames of the seven-inning game on his way to a 1-2 record.

Friday Farrow's heroics were overshadowed by a game-saving performance by junior Danny White. The righthander, who had pitched only 2 1/3 innings coming in, followed infielder Chris Almendarez as the fifth Cougars pitcher in the f

He surrendered only two unearned runs in the next five frames to set up Farrow.

A key contributor to the Houston rally in the ninth inning of that game was another seldom-used player, senior Todd Whitting. The infielder had only two at-bats all year, but had a pinch-hit RBI single and scored in the eighth.

When his turn came again in the ninth, he opened the scoring off reliever Jaymie Bane with a two-run single. The Cougars went on to tie the game on a two-run double by shortstop Jason Smiga.

Chad Poeck (2-4) took the loss in Friday's opener. His control was shaky, as he wound up walking five and throwing three wild pitches in 2 2/3 innings. The Horned Frogs scored six runs off the junior all told.

HOUSTON BACK TO REALITY WITH TIGERS

After an inspiring series with Texas Christian over the weekend, the Houston Cougars will have to return to earth quickly when they face Texas Southern at MacGregor Park today at 3 p.m.

It was quite a series for some Cougars. Outfielder Jason Farrow and shortstop Jason Smiga both pushed their averages over .300 (.301 each). Outfielders Dustin Carr (.265 to .286) and Chris Scott (.242 to .265) boosted theirs in ex

Pitcher Danny White saw his ERA fall from 7.71 to 2.45, one of two Cougars hurlers (Kevin Boyd was the other) to have that number fall below 3.00 over the weekend.

Although Farrow had perhaps the biggest improvement in terms of individual statistics (see right), his weren't the most important numbers. Houston won two Southwest Conference games to pull its record to 3-15 in the SWC, only one

Considering the Cougars lost their top two hitters and top four finishers in ERA on the mound from that team, this year's squad hasn't fared all that badly.

The Tigers, at 5-32, are just <I>bad<P>. Houston beat them soundly 12-0 at the new Cougar Field Feb. 23, one of 15 UH victories against zero defeats all-time against TSU.

Today's starter is still in doubt after every man on the Houston pitching staff saw action against TCU last weekend. Infielder Chris Almendarez was called on to pitch, and Jeremy McClaughry, normally a pitcher, played the outfield

SPB OFFERS SPECIAL SCREENING FOR STREET KIDS AND UH STUDENTS

by Joe Perez

and Andy Stubinski

Contributing Writers

Tuesday the Cinema Committee of the Student Program Board (SPB) will show an advanced screening of <I>The Basketball Diaries<P>, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

The film tells the story of a rising young basketball star and a group of his friends (which includes such notable actors as Marky Mark Whalberg) who get that immortality jones, and decide to make a collective career move by dabbl

To their dismay, they find it difficult to play ball all strung out on smack, and soon DiCaprio becomes a phantom of the street, only thinking about where his next fix is coming from.

The rest of the film is based on his long hard struggle within a jail cell, where he finally gets roto-rooted and writes his memoirs. Wow, kinda like an infinity thing, huh?

The tragic part of this story is that there are actually kids like this on the highways and byways that we zip past on our daily travels.

Every night on the streets of Houston, 1500 adolescents between the ages of 13-21 have no place to sleep but in abandoned cars, buildings, under bridges and in parks. The homeless and thrown away street youth are challenged to pro

The young adults are often involved in such dangerous and illegal activities as theft, drug dealing and survival sex (prostitution), in order to support their lifestyle. Public attitude towards these youths is very negative, becau

However, there is another option for these young adults. The Houston Institute for the Protection of Youth, Incorporated (HIPY) gives them a non-judgmental, safe place to escape the streets, if only for a few hours per day. HIPY a

SPB is inviting a group of HIPY youth to view this film, along with all UH students, staff and faculty during its sneak preview of the film <I>The Basketball Diaries<P> at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the UC Houston Room. ARAMARK has agreed

All students who wish to attend are encouraged to pick up passes in the SPB office (UC Underground, room 59). Passes will be distributed while supplies last.

HIP HOP ARTISTS MILK, NONCE ADD NEW FLAVOR TO MUSIC

Some things need to be cleared up about hip hops' old school-new school scrap. Two new hip-hop releases typify the differences.

Milk's <I>Never Dated<P> and the Nonce's <I>World Ultimate<P> are the newest entries into the fray, courtesy of Wild West Records, a subsidiary of American Recordings, itself a Warner Bros. puppet.

If you're keeping score, Milk is best remembered as a member of the seminal hip-hop band Audio Two, which he formed with his brother Gizmo in the early 1980s. The Nonce -- composed of Nouka Base Type and Yusef Afloat -- was the cr

It's good to see a bunch of real, live old schoolers take up the mantle everyone else is pledging, even if they weren't there.

The old school is essentially hip-hop from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s. The old school's credo is that the music -- particularly the beats -- is foremost in making a good hip-hop jam. The new school, starting in the late 1980s

Of the two new Wild West/American recordings, <I>Never Dated<P> best takes you back to the old school. It's impossible to compare the recordings, but Milk is the hip-hop veteran... let that speak for itself.

Milk's voice is like sandpaper, grating through the smooth beats. His higher-pitched rhyme delivery is a sharp contrast to the booming bass vocals of contemporaries like the Notorious B.I.G. and Scarface, and that is what makes hi

What will likely grab most people's attention is the song "Spam," in which Milk teams up with the Beastie Boys' Adam "King Ad Rock" Horovitz for a series of boasting rhymes. This is both technically and rhyme-wise one of <I>Never

Don't expect themed raps here. The rhymes are the bragging style with oft-repeated choruses which dominated hip-hop in its early years. Milk manages to overstate himself in a funny and clever way which avoids outlandishness and st

As an artist, Milk's got the history and the sound to become a much bigger player in the game. How long that will take is anyone's guess.

On <I>World Ultimate<P>, the Nonce is a smoother version of the old school. The Nonce's principals are also able to avoid seeming like assholes, though tending to float somewhere between the ethereal rap of A Tribe Called Quest an

<I>World Ultimate<P> on the whole sports well-written rhymes, painstaking rhythms and enough focus to avoid a scrambled or confused recording. The stumbling block is its understatedness. The Nonce might take a lesson from Milk in

Part and pMost people would count that as being a plus, but in the increasingly competitive field of hip-hop it could prove to be hurtful for as skilled a band as the Nonce.

Songs like "Mix Tapes" are odes to hip-hop's old days while giving props to the new. The old-and-new insight is a central theme to its sound, yet the Nonce seems careful to avoid the insane rantings which pollute so many hip-hop b

You have to like <I>Never Dated<P> and <I>World Ultimate<P> for different reasons. Both are great recordings, but each is unique in its flavor. Both artists are themselves different, yet share the thread of label and commitment.

Some people are into the music primarily to make a few dollars and some are into it for the love of music. Milk and the Nonce seem to dig it for the latter.

ueïeò

@HIYgh

with basic information l

onal information about pr

who want to receive rides

o take the card off the b

lready go to those places

s.

y the statute of limitati

ch of contract, assault a

gation work for UH any lo

te.

Scott "were taken with ma

Judy Jackson, director of

s, provoking the discovery of quark

rd Model.

-1/3).

y to produce a Top quark,

aid. The Top quark, the m

s Director Jackson.

1999) is fed into Tevatr

of these cascades of ligh

s and 12 extra-base hits.

ourth.

cess of 20 points apiece.

game off last year's plac

.

ing with heroin.

vide for themselves. Thei

se this segment of the po

lso gives them access to

to provide Coca-Cola and

eator of "mix tapes," hom

, began as rap went mains

m unique. By no means is

Dated<P>'s best tracks. W

upidity. Bragging without

d underground hip-hop chr

being more ostentatious a

ands,who, you'd think fro