PARK JAM JAMS GOOD NEWS

by Roslyn Lang

The first president of the Alpha Omega Alpha Christian sorority has a "special bond" with its first Park Jam's guest speaker, internationally renowned preacher and author Anthony T. Evans.

In her introduction of the Pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, Priscilla Evans turned around to show the crowd of more than 300 that bond: "I love my daddy" was written on the back of her T-shirt.

The sorority's first Park Jam brought students and members of the community to UH Lynn Eusan Park Monday to hear "good news" from Tony Evans and the UH Good News Gospel Choir. Singers Fanessa Rawls from Rising Star Baptist church; Clayton Woods, minister from Oasis Christian Center; and UH sophomore Sheena Lewis, who is majoring in music, added their voices to the celebration.

"The whole purpose of (Park Jam) is to uplift the name of Jesus Christ on campus. We want to encourage nonChristians to come and show them how much fun it is to be a Christian," Priscilla said.

Tony Evans is the president and founder of Urban Alternative, which is an international ministry that works with individual churches to show them how to have an impact in their community. His radio shows are carried on 250 stations around the United States and on stations in Africa and Europe. He has authored seven books and is chaplain for the Dallas Mavericks.

"I want to encourage this kind of activity particularly in the college environment. I think it will make a big difference to have this kind of influence and value, particularly in an educational setting. Spiritual values and having your life on track are important if we're going to make the world a better place to live," Tony said.

Jayla Cooper, UH graduate and founder of Alpha Omega Alpha, said the sorority plans to sponsor one major event each semester. She said the sorority sponsored the "Gospel Explosion" concert in October 1994. The Park Jam is more of a campus crusade or outreach to students, she said.

The sorority was founded in the spring of 1993 to give young women strength in body and unity, Cooper said. The pledger program promotes the praise of Jesus Christ as lord and savior, Christian service to the community and Christian sisterhood for members.

DuWayne Davis, director of the GNGC said the choir just returned from a competition in Nashville, Tenn. The UH music graduate and former choir member came to Houston from Milwaukee, Wis., in 1982 for Rev. James Cleveland's "Gospel Music Workshop" and liked it so well he decided to stay. He said he has been volunteering as director of the choir "for a number of years." The 100-member choir is in its 13th year and is open to all, Davis said.

*******************************************************

MCMURTRY TAKES SA SPEAKER POSITION

BACK-STABBING CAMPAIGNING ENDS WITH CONDEMNING SPEECHES

by James V. Geluso

A month of behind-the-scenes campaigning came to an end Monday night as the Students' Association elected former Sen. Justin McMurtry to the post of speaker.

McMurtry and former Sen. Clarissa Peterson had been campaigning among the new senators since the election in early March.

The politics spilled out into the forefront when Sen. Jon Erikson made a speech condemning the campaign efforts of the two, and then again when Jennifer Zuber made a surprise entry into the race.

Without naming either candidate, Erikson said that one had claimed the support of "every Peoples' Party senator," while the other had campaigned by attacking the other's faults.

"I ask the two individuals to turn down the nominations they are about to receive," Erikson finished.

Erikson was countered by Sen. Andrew Becker, who said that "both of the individuals have shown a great deal of commitment to the Students' Association Senate."

Zuber echoed Erikson's themes in her speech, even though she entered the meeting late and hadn't heard Erikson's address. "I didn't campaign because I knew (the senators) would be all campaigned out, and I didn't think the position was worth campaigning for," she said in an address that ran well past the allotted three-minute time, even as SA President Gio Garibay tried to stop her speech.

McMurtry's speech also ran slightly over, but his pep-talk-like speech focused more on the Senate rather than on either himself or his opponents. Condemning the sort of politics he had just been accused of, McMurtry asked the Senate to "pick somebody who will not allow the back-stabbing."

Peterson spun off Erikson's speech, condemning the political mentality that she admittedly had belonged to.

"I've made no promise to anyone in this room except the one I make right now," she said. "I want SA to be open, not the private club it has been."

Since it takes a majority to win the speakership, a runoff was held between McMurtry and Zuber. The ballots were secret and the totals were not announced after each round of balloting. A motion by Becker to reveal the totals was easily defeated.

After the first round of balloting, Zuber and McMurtry were both allowed a question-and-answer period. McMurtry expanded on his Senate pep-talk, while Zuber used her time to finish her earlier speech, expanding on her own qualifications.

The first runoff ballot resulted in a 15-15 tie. The second ballot brought a win for McMurtry.

After electing the speaker, the Senate went on to select its speaker pro tempore. Four senators were nominated: Becker, Casey McMurtry, Shane Schriermeier and John Moore. Moore's light-hearted speech brought him into a runoff with Schriermeier, and then on to victory.

As the final appointment of the evening, the Senate approved Jeff Fuller's nomination as director of Public Relations. Fuller, who was the last SA speaker and who is graduating next month, will hold the position until June 31, when Gio will appoint someone to fill the spot on a permanent basis.

'VISITING' UH DROPS TSU BEHIND 7 TIGERS ERRORS

The 31 runs scored by the Houston Cougars in a four-game series vs. Texas Christian over the weekend seemed to rub off when they returned home Monday.

The Cougars, who won their third game in their last four outings, improved to 21-24 on the year following a 15-3 shellacking of the Texas Southern Tigers (5-33) at the new Cougar Field.

The game was supposed to have been played at TSU's MacGregor Park, but was moved to the UH campus because of "dumped dirt" on the Tigers' field. Nevertheless, the "visiting" Cougars still used the field to their normal advantage as they took advantage of seven TSU errors and blew a close 3-1 game in the seventh inning wide open with a combined 12 runs scored over the last three innings of the nine-inning game.

"I didn't have some of my best pitchers out there," said Tigers head coach Candy Robinson. "I used all my pitchers at Grambling (a Southwestern Athletic Conference series last weekend)."

Chris Deal (0-7) made the start for TSU and struggled in the first inning behind three walks, four wild pitches, a passed ball, an error by shortstop Ronald Salsman and three runs allowed.

"I don't think we came out flat," said interim Houston coach Trip Couch, who was taking over for the ill Rayner Noble. "We got good pitching and scored runs."

Most of the Cougars' scoring and offense came courtesy of sophomore designated hitter Brant Romero, who pounded out three hits and had five RBIs.

"I hadn't been hitting the ball well (just .214 on the season before Monday's game)," Romero said. "But I thought (TSU) was a good shot for me to get hits."

GET MAXED OUT

NEW GUIDE PUTS <I>CLIFFS NOTES<P> ON EDGE

by Valérie C. Fouché

Move over, <I>Cliffs Notes<P>, and make room for the MAX —— <I>MAXnotes<P>, that is.

Now thanks to <I>MAXnotes<P>, college students have an actual choice when seeking help with those tiresome English lit. assignments.

<I>MAXnotes<P> is a new series of student-friendly literature guides, covering 32 of the most widely taught titles at the collegiate level —— with generally three new titles each month.

What's the difference between MAX and the other lit guides? According to the publisher, "<I>MAXnotes<P> offers a lively look at literary masterpieces to enhance understanding and enjoyment of the works."

<I>MAXnotes<P> publisher added that <I>MAXnotes<P> reflects the most up-to-date interpretations of literature works covered. Presented in a contemporary, easy-to-follow, easy-to-grasp style of English, students will find that MAX can definitely help them prepare for classroom discussions, reports and exams.

<I>MAXnotes<P> is the latest series from the Research and Education Association, a publisher who has built a formidable reputation among students and educators with its <I>Problem Solver<P> books (comprehensive solution guides in 40 math and science subjects), <I>Essentials<P> series (study guides in almost every academic discipline) and <I>Test Preparation<P> books (review and practice tests for standardized exams like SAT, GRE, GMAT, MCAT, and AP).

According to REA, many literature guides were written years ago and tend to be dated. <I>MAXnotes<P> realized the need for a fresh series that included modern thought and analysis. At the same time, <I>MAXnotes<P> retained the classical thought and wisdom accepted over the years by academia in literature.

To assure present-day interpretation and criticisms, <I>MAXnotes<P> were written by professors who currently teach the particular work.

<I>MAXnotes<P>, unlike any other similar study guide, contains illustrations of key passages. These illustrations help to convey the mood and spirit of the work's settings —— putting the reader in touch with the period's surroundings.

Other unique features are its concise summaries and analyses of every scene and chapter, suggested topics for research papers and reports with sample outlines, estimated reading time for each work and study questions with answers following each chapter or scene.

<I>MAXnotes<P> are reasonably priced and are easily obtainable right here on campus at the UH Bookstore. If you would like more information about <I>MAXnotes<P>, contact the Consumer Division of REA at (908)819-8880.

COMPILATION ALBUM A MUSICAL TIME TRAVEL

THE GO GOS, LIKELY ONE OF THE MOST UNDER-RATED POP BANDS OF THE 1980S, IS APPROPRIATELY ENOUGH FIRST ON THIS RELEASE. "OUR LIPS ARE SEALED" IS A SONG THAT CHARMS YOU IN AN ANNOYING KIND OF WAY, BUT NONETHELESS KEEPS YOU LISTENING.

The most delightful thing about compilations of older songs is reminiscing. For those in their early 20s or younger, <I>On The Charts: IRS Records, 1979-1994<P> offers plenty of chances to do just that.

During the 1980s, IRS was one of the premier pop labels, spawning acts like the Go Gos, Timbuk 3, General Public and the English Beat to stardom. What made these bands special was not just being unashamedly pop, but being a little strange -- the Go Gos was a punk rock refugee gone pop, and Timbuk 3 was a street band, for example. The label collects some of the better releases from these artists and others to toss out a pretty fun record.

The Go Gos, likely one of the most under-rated pop bands of the 1980s, is appropriately enough first on this release. "Our Lips Are Sealed" is a song that charms you in an annoying kind of way, but nonetheless keeps you listening. Timbuk 3's "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" and Wall of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio," which are also on this compilation, fit in this category as well.

There is a smattering of hits that, as one could imagine, were played in Dairy Queen jukeboxes around the nation. Songs like Concrete Blonde's "Joey" and the Alarm's "Rain In The Summertime" probably have been played on your record player until the vinyl wore out, but they are always worth another spin.

Other segments are part of the less than exciting wing of pop, but IRS bravely sets them out to be shot down. How many more times can someone hear the Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy" before begging for a bullet in the head? Only your CD 'repeat' button knows for sure.

Mix in R.E.M. and Oingo Boingo, circa 1985, and you've got some surreal listening, the stuff of malls and sweat-soaked nightmares. Not much more can describe songs you may have heard so many times you could never begin to count, or have, perhaps, suppressed the memory for years to come.

<I>On The Charts<P> is an eerie sort of fun, but only for the morbid.