CONFERENCE ON AGING TO PONDER POLICY

UH PROF, DELEGATES HOPE TO BETTER LIVES OF BABY BOOMERS, NOW SENIOR CITIZENS

As the baby boomer generation quickly approaches geriatric oblivion, UH Professor Gerson David, along with 2,250 other delegates to the 1995 White House Conference on Aging, will scramble to develop a cohesive national aging policy before the end of the century.

David, a founding faculty member of the UH Graduate School of Social Work, is well-known for his interest in aging. He was involved in the creation of the Gerontology Concentration in Graduate Studies at UH.

David was appointed to the conference by U.S. Rep. Mike Andrews, D-Houston.

"It's a working session," David said. "The delegates will formulate resolutions that will influence national aging policy over the next decade. They will also map strategies to put the resolutions into action."

David will join more than 2,250 delegates from all 50 states and the U.S. territories at the conference, the fourth in U.S. history and the final gathering scheduled for this century.

The theme of this year's meeting is "America Now and Into the 21st Century: Generations Aging Together with Independence."

"The delegates are young and old," David said. "We are celebrating the contribution of seniors and working together to improve the quality of life for all of us. It's an inter-generational thing. All of us are aging moment by moment from the time we are born."

David said the nation's focus on aging is very important as "baby boomers" become senior citizens.

"Our work in Washington will help define a national aging policy for our country," David said. "The follow-through, to implement the policy, will also be an extremely important part of the process."

David listed four major areas the conference delegates will address: maximizing health care options; dealing with problems of long-term care; maximizing housing and support service options; and establishing economic security for seniors.

"Apart from these issues, there are two cross-cutting issues," David said. "The first is the interdependence between generations on members of extended families. The second is the extended life span."

David also said the conference will address ethnic and cultural problems for the aging issues that will have particular interest for Texas citizens in the future.

"We are also concerned with the multilingual, multicultural population of Texas," David said. "The census figures indicate that these groups will increase dramatically. These segments of the population have been historically isolated and under-represented.

He said, "So, the Texas delegation is talking about the issues of cultural and linguistic diversity that have not been addressed. We must deal with these issues in order to eliminate negative trends of isolation, insufficient services and under-representation."

*******************************************************

WORKSHOP OFFERS TIPS ON JOB INTERVIEWING

by Maike van Wijk

Four representatives from different school districts advised students about job interviews in the teaching field at a panel discussion Thursday.

Carol Beerstecher, education counselor at the Career Planning and Placement Center, and Myrna Cohen, director of Field Experiences, coordinated the Teacher Recruitment Interview Workshop at the College of Education.

The workshop's purpose was to show students how to handle an interview situation.

John LeGroan, recruiter for the Houston Independent School District, said students should make up questions that interviewers might ask of them. "Put your answers on tape and listen to how they sound. You want to get the answers just right," he said.

LeGroan said any experiences that stressed relationships with people were important to mention in a job interview.

LeGroan commented that students should wear what they are comfortable with. "The norm for men is a dark suit and tie. For women the norm is a dark tailored suit. You can deviate from that, but that can bother people."

Concerning job experience, James Patterson, principal at Elkins High School in Fort Bend ISD, said student teachers should not limit themselves to what their cooperative teacher does. "Go and observe other classes during free periods. Get a broader perspective," he said.

"If you can't get a job in the summer, substitute teach," he said. "It is the worst job in the world, but if you work as a substitute teacher instead of getting a job at Foley's to sell clothes, I know where your heart is."

Patricia Pace, assistant principal at Emmond Elementary School in Cy-Fair ISD, said many schools conduct job interviews as panels. She said students should be prepared to speak to a group of administrators, parents and teachers. "Everybody who's there really has an interest in the school. They really want to select the best person for the job there," she said.

She said most interviews begin with questions about the interviewee's background.

She said interviewees should be honest about their goals. However, she said students need to be diplomatic, and not completely resist working in a grade level that may not be the ideal.

James Heil, principal at Angleton High School in Angleton ISD, said students also needed to know the questions interviewers could not ask. Under anti-discrimination guidelines, interviewers cannot ask about race, religion, national origin or marital status, he said.

However, applicants could volunteer information, if they so desire. "I can't ask if you speak Spanish because it might indicate your national origin," he said. "But you can say you are bilingual, and that might be an asset."

To indicate that applicants are interested in more than just doing the minimum, they might ask about test scores, attendance and dropout rates, class size and ethnic makeup of the school, said Heil.

Heil said references should be provided with full name, address, work and home phone numbers. He said he didn't have time to request the numbers, and would toss out applications without full references. "If I want to hire you, I want to have the information right there and call someone up immediately," he said.

Beerstecher said teacher recruitment will take place May 8 through May 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thirty-six school districts will be interviewing students on campus, she said. The individual 30-minute interviews are on a first-come, first-served basis, she said.

Education majors graduating this summer need to sign up in person at the Career Planning and Placement Center, Room 156. Sign-up times are Mondays and Tuesdays, 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Deadlines are 1 p.m. of the day before the interview date.

If students need to cancel an interview date, they need to call the Career Planning and Placement Center by 1 p.m. the day before the interview, said Beerstecher. Students may not sign up for any other interviews after cancellation, she said.

COOGS UNFRIENDLY HOSTS

BEARS PROVE NICE CAPPER IN FINAL SERIES

by Richard C. Kroger and William German

After dropping the first game 5-4 Friday night to Baylor (25-24 overall, 7-13 SWC), the Cougars baseball team came thundering back in the last home games of the season to sweep a doubleheader Saturday and to take the three-game series 2-1.

"It was great to pull out today's wins, especially because it was our last games at home and the fans have stuck with us all year," said UH head coach Rayner Noble Saturday.

That day's second game saw senior David Hamilton pitch six strong innings as the men in red and white rolled to a 5-3 victory. The righthander improved to 2-5 with the win.

The Cougars (24-27, 5-16 SWC) jumped on the board early when Brad Towns stroked a second-inning Brett Bergman pitch to center, scoring Jason Farrow and putting UH up 1-0.

Baylor first baseman Matt Corson answered in the third with a two-run single off Hamilton, who was pitching his last home game ever in a Cougar uniform.

In the fourth inning, the left-handed Bergman fell apart, loading the bases and then plunking Towns on a high inside pitch that put him on first and allowed third baseman Tom Maleski to stroll home.

Bergman then walked Rey Treviño and threw a wild pitch to score Carlos Perez from third. After walking Jason Smiga to re-load the bases, Baylor head coach Steve Smith finally replaced Bergman with righthander Steve Waites.

Waites pitched out of the inning, but the Cougars had racked up three runs to make the score 4-2 Houston.

The Cougars tacked on another run in the sixth, as did Baylor in the ninth, before Farrow came on to earn his second save of the day and close the game 5-3.

A quartet of Cougar pitchers was needed in the first game to shut down the Bears and win 7-5.

Southpaw John Box started for the Cougars and gave up a couple of first-inning runs, thanks in part to an error at third by Maleski which scored a run.

Coming into the game with only four at-bats all season, Towns rocked a second-inning pitch over the left-field fence, followed by a Dustin Carr RBI single to right to tie the game at 2-2.

The Cougars scored in the fourth on another Carr RBI before the Bears answered in the fifth with a game-tying run which led to Chad Poeck relieving Box.

Poeck lasted only an inning, surrendering a run in the top of the sixth and paving the way for the third UH pitcher, Ryan Walter, who got the last out of the inning.

With UH down 4-3 in the bottom of the sixth, Baylor pitching began to falter, giving up four runs. Brant Romero hit a shot to right in a pinch-hitting role which scored Trevino to make the score 4-4.

Farrow then followed with a single to center with the bases loaded, scoring Carr and pinch runner Jeremy McClaughry.

A tapper past second by Brandon Milam tacked on another run to make the lead 7-4, before Farrow took the mound in the top of the seventh and got the save for Walter, who moved to 1-0.

Friday's game was a comedy of errors, as the Bears and Cougars combined for eight miscues leading to six unearned runs. Starter Kevin Boyd (1-3) took the loss, despite giving up only one earned run through nine innings.

That run scored on an ultra-rare occurrence, a Baylor homer in the top of the sixth. The opposite-field jack by Traynor Reitmeier was the eighth all season by the Bears.

Baylor starter Tim Peters gained his seventh win of the year against four losses and improved his chances at the SWC ERA title. The lefthander from Bellaire went eight innings and allowed two earned runs to lower his ERA to 2.95.

Cougars first baseman Carlos Perez had his hit streak stopped at 12 games <I>in a row<P> Saturday.

UH GOING TO TOWNS BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

by Richard C. Kroger

The best play of the Cougars' doubleheader sweep of Baylor on Saturday wasn't on the field, it was in the Cougar dugout.

Before the first game started, the eleven seniors who were playing for the last time at UH were called out and given a send-off in front of the crowd of 675.

That paled in comparison to the personal send-off that a band of Cougars gave to senior Brad Towns.

Towns, a seldom-used pitcher/outfielder, was chosen by head coach Rayner Noble to start at designated hitter despite having only four at-bats all year.

"Brad had been in my ear all year wanting the bat," said Noble. "He just wanted a chance to get some swings."

In the second inning of the first game, Towns smashed a shot over the left-field fence that landed just short of the McDonald's drive-through. The UH dugout erupted as Towns' fellow pitchers went wild in tribute to their comrade.

For the rest of the game, every time Towns walked into the batter's box, the pitchers assembled on the steps of the dugout, took off their hats, and put their hands over their hearts.

"This game is one I won't forget anytime soon," said Towns, "especially with the way the pitchers got behind me today."

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND KEEPS ITS COOL

Photo by Christopher Bunn/RCA Records

The Dave Matthews Band was joined by Big Head Todd and the Monsters and Boxing Gandhis for its concert Thursday.

by Roslyn Lang

The Dave Matthews Band, Big Head Todd and the Monsters and Boxing Gandhis were kewl, but it was HOT!

I wanted to tell you how the DMB weaves a mesh of sound original enough to defy pigeonholing, but by the time the band took the stage of the International Ballroom at 9:30 p.m. Thursday night it was so hot, and I was sweating so much, all I could think about was finding an open door to stand by.

The air-conditioner was not working, and the security guards efficiently shut the doors every time anyone exited the room. "I was told to keep the door shut so no one could sneak in," said Joe Dugas, a security guard at the ballroom.

I wanted to tell you that violinist Boyd Tinsley stole the show more than once with his enthusiasm and riveting solos, but with no ventilation, there was so much smoke in the room I know I came away with lung cancer.

"There is supposed to be air-conditioning. PACE makes the rules (about keeping the doors shut) but I'll be the first to agree with you, this sucks," Wayne, a supervisor who did not wish to use his last name, said.

I wanted to tell you about reedman LeRoi Moore's captivating flute solo in "Typical Situation", but the slow, steady exodus of disgruntled concert-goers headed for breathable, cooler air blocked my view as they passed by my perch near the lone open door.

Fire Marshall S.R. McCoy was finally located after an intensive search and told of the temperature and ventilation problems, not that they weren't completely obvious to the near-capacity audience.

I wanted to tell you about the vulnerable and expressive voice of lead singer and guitarist Dave Matthews, and about bassist Stefan Lessard, who was a co-host for MTV's "Alternative Nation", and about drummer Carter Beauford, who rounds out the quintet -- but did I mention it was hot?

McCoy did manage to persuade the security guards to open the back doors, but not until after the gates at the front door had been taken down.

The crowd who remained forgot the heat and the air quality by the time the DMB got to "What Would You Say," the band's first-ever single and first-ever video. They were dancing in the ballroom and in the parking lot.

Those tolerant enough to stay around for the finale were treated to an energetic rendition of "Ants Marching," a pairing of straight-up funk and a lively country fiddle with a touch of zydeco on the side.

Word of mouth and friends bringing friends have contributed to the grass-roots success of the DMB. The individuality brought by each of the members of this eclectic ensemble from Charlottesville, Virginia creates a truly alternative sound.

Purchasing <I>Under the Table and Dreaming<P>, the band's RCA debut produced by Steve Lillywhite, and listening to it at home with the air-conditioner blowing might be more enjoyable, but the music can be described as Dave Matthews described the room: "There is a word for this room right now -- f------ hot!"