UH INTERIMS TO BE ANNOUNCED

OFFICIALS PRAISE CANDIDATE HOPEFULS

The University of Houston System Board of Regents will hold a special session Tuesday to announce the names of candidates to fill interim positions as UH System chancellor, UH-Main Campus president and UH-Victoria president.

UH System sources confirmed Sunday that former Texas Lt. Gov. Bill Hobby will be the sole candidate to become interim chancellor.

The same sources also confirmed that UH-Clear Lake President Glenn A. Goerke will be named the candidate for interim UH-Main Campus president, and that Karen Haynes, UH's dean of the Graduate School of Social Work, will be named the candidate for interim UH-Victoria president.

The possibility that Hobby, whose name surfaced in the search last week, would take over the reins of the fractious UH System has been almost universally praised by UH System officials, state legislators, Houston civic leaders and elected officials and by administrators and faculty leaders from each of the four universities in the UH System.

The regents, who were chided in the Houston Chronicle's Sunday editorial for being "indecisive," apparently decided to make the announcements of the nominations now because the names must be posted for 21 days before the board can officially act to name replacements for out-going System Chancellor Alexander Schilt, UH President James H. Pickering and UH-Victoria President Lesta Turchen.

Tuesday's announcement would allow the board to officially fill the positions by the end of the first week of July.

Geri Konigsberg, UH interim associate vice president for University Relations, released a statement from out-going UH President Pickering that said, "I am pleased with the foresight of the Board of Regents in their appointment of Bill Hobby. He has been a friend and supporter of higher education for many years."

Robert Palmer, a Cullen professor of law and history at UH-Main Campus and a member of the Coalition for Excellence, a UH faculty group that has urged the regents to make major changes in the UH System, said faculty members will likely be fairly positive to Hobby's appointment.

"From what we've heard, he is antagonistic to overblown administrative structures," Palmer said. "We also think he is very likely to accent academics, as opposed to athletics at UH."

Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the UH College of Social Sciences said, "I couldn't be more pleased with this. I think Hobby will lead us both in the community and in Austin. He knows how difficult the problems are. He will be able to help us lay the groundwork for the next legislative session over the next year, instead of the way we have been doing it – waiting until 20 days before the Legislature meets before we got excited about it."

Goerke, who was a finalist to become chancellor of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, withdrew his name from consideration for the Minnesota job last week fueling speculation he was being considered for one of the interim UH System positions.

UH System Board of Regents Chairwoman Wilhelmina "Beth" Morian released a statement last week praising Goerke and, possibly, foreshadowing Tuesday's scheduled announcements.

"Glenn Goerke is an outstanding president and an invaluable member of the University of Houston System team. I can understand why he would be well-sought after by other higher education systems," Morian said. "But, we have a real need for him here, and I am very pleased that he has decided to withdraw from the Minnesota search."

Palmer also said faculty groups have been meeting informally with Goerke since Pickering's resignation.

"He (Goerke) is saying the right things," Palmer said. "The faculty's reaction will depend on who he appoints as provost. We have a great need to have a research-oriented provost, a provost with power and a provost with a mandate to improve the university."

Rodgers, who is also a member of the Coalition for Excellence, said he has attended meetings with Goerke.

"I think Goerke has shown a willingness to listen. I think we will be able to work with him," Rodgers said.

*******************************************************

EXPOSURE TO HEAT, LIGHT CAN GIVE BEER A SKUNKY ODOR

by Michael P. Martin

True love is forever. A tattoo is usually for life.

What about beer? Does it have a shelf life? Can it go bad? What happens when it does?

"Unlike wine, beer does not get better with age," says Dave Berra, general manager of the southwest region for Anheuser Busch Inc. Beer is like a food, Berra says, and will go bad with the passage of time like any other food – milk, for example.

"The shelf life of most domestic beers is from 90 to 105 days," Berra says. "It can be a little longer for imported beers, and for those that have preservatives in them."

Anheuser Busch uses no artificial ingredients or preservatives in the beers they brew, Berra says, and because of that, a 105-day shelf life is about the limit.

The biggest enemies of beer freshness are heat and light – especially light, Berra says.

"Our bottles are brown by design to protect the product from exposure to light. If you want to see what light can do, open a fresh beer on a sunny day, taste it, and then place it in the sun for a few minutes. When you taste it again, you'll notice a 'skunky' odor starting to form," he says.

Even exposing the beer to strong fluorescent light can have the same effect, Berra says.

If you're giving a party, Berra advises that you store the beer you buy in a cool and dark place.

"An extra fridge in the garage is real handy," he says, "but we don't all have that luxury. The best storage temperatures are from 40 to 70 degrees, and while few places in your house are kept at 40 degrees, a nice, dark closet in an air-conditioned part of your home will do just fine."

Just remember not to exceed the shelf life, he says.

What happens when beer goes stale?

"It's really hard for the average person to tell," Berra says. "The beer just loses its freshness. About the only way to really tell is to compare a stale beer with a fresh one. You'll notice the difference right away."

Berra and Anheuser Busch are also concerned about another time limit. "We always urge people 21 and over to drink responsibly," Berra says, "and those under 21 to obey the law."

And if you don't drink beer, you drink wine? Well, guess what?

"The ideal temperature for storing and aging wine is 55 to 57 degrees, but most homeowners settle for 60 to 63 degrees," says Charlie Jenkins, a wine salesman for Spec's Liquor Warehouse.

"In France or the Napa Valley of California, people just dig into the side of a mountain until they find a level with the proper temperature. We don't have that option in Houston," Jenkins says.

And once you open that bottle of Chateau Neuf du Pape, Jenkins advises that you have enough friends with you to finish it.

"The air that enters the bottle when you pour is the enemy," he says. "On the second day, you'll notice a dip in fruitiness and an increase in acidity. By the fourth day, the wine will be almost unpalatable."

Boxed wine doesn't suffer the same danger, says journalism senior Edward Looby. The wine is actually contained in a plastic bag that collapses as you pour, and no air enters. "I've had wine in the fridge since October, and it's still good," he says.

What kind is it? "Oh, I couldn't tell you," he says. "It's California wine of some sort."

UH BUDGET ENDURES LESS CUTS THAN FEARED

by James V. Geluso

Senior Writer

The University of Houston fared better than expected in the battle for funding in the 74th session of the Texas Legislature, which ended last month.

The Legislature appropriated $296.9 million for UH in the General Appropriations Bill for the 1996-97 biennium, a $4.6 million reduction from the last biennium.

UH had feared losing up to $18 million in the biennium through various budget cuts. In the 1994-95 biennium, UH took an $8.5 million cut.

The bill must still be approved by Gov. George Bush, who has until June 18 to veto any line items in the bill.

The bulk of the appropriation is $223.5 million in formula funding. UH is receiving $12.6 million less in formula funding than in the last biennium.

According to Grover Campbell, UH System vice chancellor for Governmental Relations, the drop in formula funding is due to declining enrollment. Formula funding is calculated from enrollment numbers, credit hours taken, building square footage and several other factors.

"If enrollment had been flat, and everything else had been held constant, UH would have ended up with $8 million more in formula funding," Campbell said.

Formula Hold Harmless funding totalled $12.7 million for the biennium. Hold Harmless funds are intended to compensate for drops in formula funding.

The final appropriation was greater than either the House of Representatives or Senate had originally budgeted for UH. The House recommended a net appropriation of $288.6 million, and the Senate recommended $288.3 million.

The additional money came from differences in special items funding that were resolved in the conference committee. Items that were funded by one house but not the other made it into the final version.

The UH Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center Partnership for Space Exploration and Optometry Program received no funding from the House, but garnered a total of $1.2 million in the Senate bill. The final version totalled $1.1 million for the three programs.

The Texas Center for Superconductivity at UH was funded $12 million by the House but only $6 million for the Senate. The final bill appropriated $12 million. In addition, the Health Law & Policy Institute, which was appropriated nothing by either the House or Senate, received $300,000 in the final version.

UH will also receive funds from other bills passed by the Legislature. A 20 percent discount on electric bills that was legislated for higher education institutions is expected to save UH $500,000 over the biennium, and a $46 hike in nonresident tuition rates is expected to raise another $2.5 million.

UH will also receive a $43 million increase in Higher Education Assistance Funds, which are restricted to capital improvements.

The UH System Board of Regents also gained the authority to raise tuition and fee rates in the Law, Optometry and Pharmacy Colleges. The General Use Fee can also be raised. A $1 increase in all of those would raise $1.5 million.

According to a memo circulated by the office of the president, the Board of Regents is not planning on raising any tuition or fees.

FIRST 100 STUDENTS TO APPLY FOR SA POSITIONS WILL RECEIVE ROCKETS SHIRT

by James V. Geluso

Senior Writer

The Students' Association is planning to capitalize on Rockets fever in its effort to recruit students to fill committees and get interested in SA.

SA President Gio Garibay announced at the SA Senate meeting Thursday, the first meeting of the summer, that 100 Rockets shirts have been ordered and will be given out to students who come to the SA office to apply for committee positions.

Filling positions on university committees is one of SA's most important functions, and one that is often difficult.

SA Vice President Dom Lewinsohn told the Senate that several important committees, including the student traffic court, have vacancies that must be filled rapidly. "Some of these committees do wield a lot of power," Lewinsohn said, "so it's important that we fill these positions."

Garibay said much of his energy is devoted to recruiting at the freshman and transfer orientation that is ongoing this summer.

SA has also put together a packet about the battle to save financial aid in Congress. The packet includes the names and addresses of Texas senators and representatives and form letters that can be signed and mailed. The packet is available in the SA office.

The Senate will meet again June 20.

JETSON UNDERGOES HOME IMPROVEMENT

by Robert Schoenberger

System crashes on Jetson may be a thing of the past if a new hardware structure instituted in May works, said Brian Walker, manager of Academic Computer Operations.

Jetson is made up of several different computers, Walker explained. "George" is reserved for networking and system operations, while "Jane," "Judy," "Elroy" and "Rosie" are available for student use.

"We are going to coordinate the activities between Jetson's different (sections)," Walker said.

System crashes prompted the structural change, said Walker, who added that Jetson is shut down several times each semester to implement new hardware and software.

Daily Cougar reporter James Geluso experienced a Jetson crash first hand while he was sending a story to Time Magazine.

"I was in the middle of typing it in, and all of a sudden, I was back at the Xyplex prompt," Geluso said.

Jetson users are given the Xyplex prompt before logging onto the system.

Walker said, "Students using mail or (file transfer) services may see improved efficiency. It might not seem like that big of a difference waiting two seconds or 2.2 seconds, but we can see improvements."

ROCKETS NUKE MAGIC KINGDOM

PHI SLAMA JAMA STRIKES: IT'S A HOUSTON WORLD ORDER AGAIN

by Corin Hoggard

"Drexler drives past Nick Anderson, O'Neal comes to help out, Clyde glides, finger rolls over Shaq. It's off the backboard and oh! Olajuwon tips it in! Olajuwon tipped it in!" With 0.3 seconds remaining, the demons of Phi Slama Jama were exorcized, Jim Valvano smiled in the afterlife, and that disgusting creature on the O-rena floor was actually Marv Albert's toupee.

All the Rockets are smirking with a two-game advantage approaching a three-game homestand. This seemingly insurmountable lead was made possible in part by generous grants from the three-point shooting god, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Nick Anderson.

Anderson apparently lost his legs late in the first game. The better of the two remaining original Magic, all in town for a reunion, missed four successive free throws, each with a three-point lead and fewer than 11 seconds left. His faux pas had his teammates, past and present, searching for answers and allowed Kenny Smith to tie the score by draining his record-setting seventh trey of the night in preparation for the overtime exorcism.

Brian Hill's version of the Mouseketeers certainly must embarrass Annette Funicello. Anderson couldn't escape the grip of the hands around his throat in Game 2 and shot terribly. Horace Grant's formerly huge presence in the inside has been tempered by Robert Horry's switch to power forward, moving Grant outside the paint. Horry seems unfazed by the move and has the Magic looking for a new Club device after his Finals-record seven swipes in the second game. Mario Elie has Dennis Scott off of his game, and the Houston point guards have surprised many with their scoring.

In the big matchup, Hakeem has just made Shaq look Goofy, even with Huey, Dewey and Louie giving defensive aid. Dream chimed in 31 points on an off night as he felt O'Neal out and tipped in the game-winner as Rudy T's crayons drew all the proper lines in the final seconds of Game 1. In the second game, he shaked-and-baked his way to 22 first-half points, essentially pouring strychnine on the opposing troops.

Olajuwon has more moves than Don Juan and can't be stopped by anyone save the second coming of Koran. NBA basketball is a game played by five men, however, and without the all-around awesome playoff display from Horry along with superb guard play from Smith, Sam Cassell and fellow UH alumnus Clyde Drexler, Hakeem would probably be outscored.

Instead, the Rockets surged to their seventh consecutive road victory in the playoffs, setting another NBA record, and stole the last two from the best home team in the league during the regular season (39-2). Those 82 games are proving to be insignificant as the Rockets edge toward knocking off the best four teams over that span and earning their second Larry O'Brien trophy in as many years.

All that is left is to explain the Rocket's brilliance. Observers of the game are befuddled when they look at the statistics. How can a team without a power forward or any significant depth rise above Florida's superstars? The missing statistic is belief. Confidence weighs heavily as a factor in this series. As Nick Anderson waits for someone to give him the Heimlich maneuver, his whole team seems clueless. The youngsters from the Swamp State rode into the Finals on a wave of arrogance, but find themselves now drowning in a sea of doubt. The stunned Anfernee Hardaway confessed, "You don't even think about being down 2-0 after beating Indiana the way we did." Meanwhile, the Rockets know exactly what their talents permit them to do as they ride Olajuwon or the hottest of the smaller hands to a repeat championship, as the former Cougars should have 12 years ago.

Addendum: apocalypse <I>now<P>. Robert Horry has just hit the three-pointer heard 'round the world with 14 seconds left. The huddled masses (well, four of us) left here at 9 p.m. Sunday have gone through obligatory madness -- ohmygod, I just slapped 10 with <I>Frank Rossi<P>.

Clyde Drexler showed just how bad he wanted a championship. This was the Glide's game, all the way. His fire sparked a team that could have taken the night off and still had a 2-1 lead.

He was everywhere -- slapping opposing passes out of bounds, coming from nowhere to snatch rebounds. His 13 led a phenomenal rebounding night for the Rockets, who actually outboarded the Magic, offensively and defensively.

Three down, one to go. All that's left for the Rockets are brooms, booms and obnoxious honking noises reverberating throughout Clutch City.

SUBMIT YOUR STREET ART

For all those street artists who have put up their artwork only to have it whitewashed or torn down, now is a chance to not only exhibit their work, but maybe make some money off of it.

Street art is "anything you would see on the street. Something you wouldn't catch in a gallery, something with a street vibe," said Rivka Gewirtz, Urban Beat managing editor.

The Street Art Festival, which will show Houston-area artists' work July 20 at the Commerce Street Art Warehouse, needs samples of artwork to be submitted by Sunday. Artists can drop off samples, such as pictures, or their final product at Brasil at 2606 Dunlavy or at Commerce Street Art Warehouse. Artists must also bring a one-page resume that includes what artwork they have done in the past and where they have shown their artwork.

Artwork will be judged by a board of members of Community Artists Collective, Commerce Street Art Warehouse, Brasil, Houston Hip Hop Collective and Urban Beat. The final product is due July 9.

Local businesses are contributing plywood and various other art supplies for artists entering the show. All money from the art show benefits artists and nonprofit events at the Commerce Street Warehouse.

Houston Press will sponsor a silent auction and singles mixer at the show, and members of the art-buying community will also be invited. El Meson will cater the Street Art Festival.

"The main point of the show is to feature artists. Finally we're going to have a chance to put their art up," Gewirtz said.

On July 22, the Houston Hip Hop Festival will also be held at the Commerce Street Art Warehouse. Artwork from the Street Art Festival will then be shown, and three peoples' choice awards, selected by the audience, will win cash prizes.

The Houston Hip Hop Festival will feature local DJs like Vishnu and DJ Sun and rap artists like Fliponya, Terrorist, Soul Rebel and more. Grafitti artists and break dancers will also be at the festival.

For more information, call Dan Fergus at 528-1993 or Gewirtz at 926-2442.

GOOD <I>OLD BOY<P> EXAMINES BETRAYAL

by Susan Williams

<I>The Old Boy<P>, playing at Actors Theater of Houston through June 25, takes a good look at the faces of deception, hypocrisy and betrayal. Playwright A.R. Gurney explores the lives of Old Boy Sam, played by Kirk Sisco, and his new boy, Perry, played by Robert Ripley.

Entering a prestigious prep school, young Perry is given to upperclassman Sam, who will guide him through his freshman year. Sam befriends the out-of-place Perry at the insistence of Perry's overbearing and arrogant mother, Harriet, played by Nita Elliot.

During the years of prep school, Sam and Perry form a bond that is stretched to the limit when Perry reveals his tendency toward homosexuality -- a truth that Perry's mother refuses to acknowledge.

After Perry's unexpected death, Harriet resolves to bestow a tennis complex in his name to the school.

Fast-forward to Sam, now an undersecretary of the state and a gubernatorial hopeful, as he prepares to give the commencement address.

Enter Alison, Perry's widow and Sam's ex 'Old Girl' (played by Kate Revnell-Smith), convincing as the daughter-in-law from the wrong side of town. Revnell-Smith's performance is especially heightened when she throws her shoes at Sam during a heated argument.

However, the arguments could have been more convincing if Sisco and Revnell-Smith had not appeared frozen like statues while facing each other down. Both characters were loud and argumentative, but usually when two people are that close together, hands and arms move as well as voices.

Sisco plays both young Sam and 'Old Boy' Sam with a poignancy that wins the heart. Ripley, as young Perry, in his first role on stage, gives a charismatic performance, and the chemistry between the two young men is evidence of the emotional identification to their characters.

Director Brandon Smith has done a masterful job of creating past and present time as Sisco and Ripley easily segue between adulthood and teen years.

The clowns of the performance, Dexter (Charles Bailey) and Bud (Jim Glenn), are thoroughly enjoyable. Dexter, the Episcopalian priest, and Bud, Sam's right-hand man and sometimes his left, add wonderful comic relief to a situation filled with past recriminations and tragedy.

The only major flaw in this production comes at the end of the performance with Sam's commencement address. Gurney would have done better to have shortened this speech and lessened the wordiness. Sisco had to spend too much time trying to control Sam's emotions during the lengthy speech, and all the facial contortions seriously detract from the content.

A word must be said for the set designers, Theo Cresser and Jim Jeter, who created a masterful set with rich, warm colors. The stained-glass window at the top of the stairs is a beautiful work of art.

This is a must-see play for those who have ever felt the stings of betrayal, however slight, or for those who have harbored secrets of the soul.