CBA HELPS BOOST MINORITY ENROLLMENT, RETENTION

by Jessica Ellis

Like many communities in the United States, Houston has a growing minority population with limited higher education. The University of Houston must take an active role in remedying this deficiency, said Mary Gould, Registration and Academic Records director in the College of Business Administration.

"By the year 2000, Hispanics will no longer be a minority in Houston, yet there has been little or no increase in the percentage of Hispanic and African American students enrolling in colleges across the nation," Gould said. "An alarming small percentage of those who enter college graduate."

African American and Hispanic students make up 19 percent of the college's enrollment, and that number is steadily increasing because of such outreach efforts, Gould said.

University records indicate 2,720 African Americans and 4,017 Hispanics were enrolled at UH for Fall 1994; total enrollment was 31,298. Whites accounted for 18,097 of the enrollment.

In Fall 1990, enrollment for African Americans was 2,639 and 3,065 for Hispanics; total enrollment was 33,116. Whites accounted for 22,259.

To help solve the problem of minority recruitment and retention, CBA sponsors several programs which help potential students overcome their anxieties about higher education and problems associated with the transition to university life, Gould said.

Minority Admission, Recruitment and Retention Advisory Council, founded by out-going CBA Dean Jack Ivancevich in 1993, sponsors the Jesse H. Jones Business Leadership Development Program and the Summer Business Institute .

Gould, chair of the advisory council, said the Jesse H. Jones program was established with a $4.2 million endowment to provide scholarships for undergraduate and master's-level minority students who, because of financial need, would not otherwise have the opportunity to attend or graduate from college.

The Jones program aims at increasing the number of minority students who enroll at UH with the desire of securing degrees in business administration.

Also, the program strives to improve the performance of minority students in CBA and increase the number of minority graduates.

In addition, the Jones program seeks to continue evaluating, strengthening and redesigning support programs for "at-risk" business students. The advisory council also helps minority students compete for professional positions upon graduation.

The CBA guarantees the Jesse H. Jones Scholars a minimum of one paid summer internship with a Houston area business, government or nonprofit organization for undergraduate and graduate students in the program.

In addition, the program provides faculty or college administrators as mentors for one-on-one academic advising.

Last year CBA awarded 65 scholarships, amounting to more than $125,000, to minority students.

"It is gratifying to know that our efforts do make a difference to the students and prospective students we reach," Gould said.

For example, Gould said, four of the 12 students who participated in the 1994 Summer Business Institute were admitted to the CBA and received significant scholarships from the Jesse H. Jones Business Leadership Development Scholarship Program.

"We (Minority Admission, Recruitment and Retention Advisory Council) know that each of these students would have a very difficult time paying for full-time enrollment or may have had to make the decision not to attend college at all," Gould said.

"They (students) tell us (advisory council members) how much they've appreciated the CBA's assistance and the significant difference that assistance made in their college plans," he said.

Students are admitted to the Jones program primarily on the basis of financial need. Scholarship recipients must participate in support programs and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.

Twenty-year-old Adrian Robles, a Hispanic junior management major, said that if it weren't for the academic advising and the developmental skills seminars the Jones program offered, he would not be an 'A' student.

"The yearly scholarship money helps me pay for my education, and the advisers are helpful in assisting me in class selection," Robles said. "I am also able to meet new people through the program, and collectively, we offer support to each other, which makes me feel more comfortable at the college.

"The program helped me get over that feeling that I was just one out of thousands."

The Summer Business Institute is the most visible recruitment program, Gould said. This effort addresses recruitment through a five-day, on-campus experience that targets minority high school juniors.

The Jones program also provides support for other subprograms which offer counseling and advising to students at Jefferson Davis, Lamar, Milby and Jesse H. Jones high schools who are interested in higher education.

The program is free to students and presents academic courses in various components of business, she said.

Also, students participate in personal development and test-taking skills workshops, visit offices of local corporations and engage in social activities.

CBA keeps in touch with the business institute student participants throughout their senior year and actively recruits them for admission and CBA scholarships, Gould said.

For more information about CBA minority recruitment, call 743-4900.

*******************************************************

IVANCEVICH MAKES ANOTHER SURPRISE MOVE -- TO PROVOST

Less than two weeks after announcing his resignation as dean of the UH College of Business Administration, John M. "Jack" Ivancevich has accepted a two-year appointment as UH interim senior vice president for Academic Affairs and provost.

Ivancevich's resignation was a surprise to UH administrators and faculty. In his resignation letter to "friends and colleagues" at UH, dated June 28, Ivancevich said he was uncertain as to what he would do in the future.

"I intend to continue working hard on a host of projects in and outside of academia," he said. "The one thing I have deeply missed by putting in days, weeks and months on pressing college issues is time with my family."

Members of the UH community were equally surprised this week when Ivancevich accepted the provost's job.

"It is an honor to serve as provost at this crucial time in the university's history, and I look forward to upholding standards set by previous provosts and academic leaders in moving forward to achieve this institution's great potential," Ivancevich said Tuesday.

Ivancevich's name surfaced during the early part of June in campus speculation regarding the provost's job. UH sources said Ivancevich was supported by the deans of the other UH colleges. However, the same sources later said Ivancevich removed his name from consideration before he resigned.

Ivancevich's resignation as business college dean is effective Sept. 1, the same day he will now take over as interim dean. He will replace the current provost, Henry Trueba, who resigned in May.

In a memo circulated Monday to the UH community, UH President-designate Glenn Goerke said Ivancevich will work with Trueba to "ensure a smooth transition for academic affairs over the next several months.

"In discussions with the campus community it became clear quickly that Dean Ivancevich has the support of faculty, administrators and students," Goerke said. "His name emerged frequently as someone whose academic and personal stature make him the obvious choice for provost."

Gerhard Paskusz, president of the UH Faculty Senate, said, "Ivancevich was actually the first choice of the Senate Executive Committee. We thought he would be the best person for the job."

Paskusz said the Executive Committee was distressed when they thought Ivancevich had resigned. "The resignation sounded final, and we were unhappy about that," Paskusz said.

Harrell Rodgers, former dean of the College of Social Sciences and a member of the UH faculty group, The Coalition for Excellence, said he was delighted that Ivancevich had taken the job.

"I think it's terrific," Rodgers said. "Jack is really the best person for the position. I think he will do an excellent job for us."

Ivancevich received his doctoral degree in administrative behavior and organizational analysis from the University of Maryland. He taught at the University of Kentucky before coming to UH.

Ivancevich has been a professor at UH for 21 years. In 1979, he was named the Hugh Roy and Lillie Cranz Cullen Distinguished Professor of Management.

In 1988, he received the Esther Farfel Award, the university's highest faculty honor recognizing outstanding teaching, research and service. That same year he was also named dean of the business school.

In his memo, Goerke also said that with the announcement of a new provost, his senior administration team is now in place.

Goerke previously announced that James Hale, UHCL's vice president for Administration and Finance, will replace UH Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance Dennis Boyd, who resigned in May.

Also coming to UH with Goerke and Hale will be Glenn B. Freedman, UHCL's associate vice president for Institutional Advancement.

Freedman's exact duties have not been announced, but he is listed in recent UH interoffice memos from Goerke as "executive associate vice president-designate."

SA SPEAKER TAKES LEAVE OF ABSENCE

MCMURTRY APPOINTS BROTHER TO FILL IN

by James V. Geluso

Senior Writer

Students' Association Speaker Justin McMurtry announced a seven-week leave of absence at the SA meeting Tuesday after appointing his brother Casey to the position of speaker pro tempore.

The last-minute move caused the Senate to move into a meeting of the Committee of the Whole, at which nearly every senator spoke at length.

Casey McMurtry was appointed interim speaker pro tempore because John Moore, the regular speaker pro tempore, was called to work offshore late Monday night and will not return until the fall.

When Justin McMurtry made the appointment, Vice President Dom Lewinsohn asked him if he was going to resign immediately afterward. McMurtry said he would not.

After the closing call of the roll, McMurtry then announced that he would be taking an official leave of absence for the rest of the summer, during which time his brother would be filling in for him.

McMurtry said that he was taking the leave because he needed full-time employment and would not be able to fulfill the requirement of 20 hours per week spent in the office. He still plans to serve as speaker at the two Senate meetings remaining in the summer.

Since Casey McMurtry will be fulfilling those hours, some senators then wondered if he would be paid for the time. Both Casey and Justin McMurtry said he would not.

The timing disturbed several of the senators.

"I would like to know why, when Dom (Lewinsohn) asked whether you would be resigning, you did not say you would be taking a leave of absence," Sen. Brad Castelo asked.

"I wasn't asked," McMurtry responded.

"That seems somewhat manipulative, to put your brother in that position just before taking a leave of absence," Castelo said.

When McMurtry pointed out that there were no rules against what he was doing, Castelo said that was an unfortunate loophole that needed to be closed. "There were no rules against the wholesale slaughter of buffaloes or American Indians," he said. "But does that make it right?"

The senators emphasized that they had no doubts about Casey McMurtry's qualifications.

"I have the utmost confidence in Casey," said Sen. Andrea Rachiele. "The only thing I have a problem with is that I was completely left in the dark."

Several senators questioned whether McMurtry would be able to perform his duties in the fall. When McMurtry said he didn't know, the Senate voted to require him to give an answer at the next meeting.

Former Speaker Jeff Fuller said that three years ago, Speaker John Bard was unable to keep his office hours and resigned. "There is a precedent set that when you can't do the job, you resign," he said.

Sen. Jon Erikson made a motion to go into a closed session because of the personal attacks that were being made on the floor.

"I think that this is the student government and it's important that the students should know what's going on," Lewinsohn said. "I think it's disgraceful that anyone would even suggest that."

After Rachiele also spoke against the motion, Erikson withdrew it.

CLOCKWORK 13 COUNTING ON SUCCESS

Photo courtesy of Clockwork 13

Diverse group Clockwork 13 will perform today at 8 p.m. at Zelda's.

by Joey Guerra

Getting a band off the ground and into the public eye is a tough task, but Clockwork 13 is prepared to get the job done.

The group originated a year ago and boasts a diverse trio of members: Christy Liau, of Asian descent; Dave Allen, of Anglo descent; and Seth, the group's vocalist, with an Egyptian background. Clockwork 13's music is reflective of the members' backgrounds, ranging from an intense, industrial sound to a Middle Eastern flavor heard in the song "Zaar Auschwitz."

"That's the difference with this band from other bands on the circuit," Liau said in reference to the band's sound and image. Clockwork 13 uses its music as a platform for social messages dealing with racism and genocide. "A lot of message, a lot of emotion," Liau said.

Also separating Clockwork 13 from the downpour of alternative rock bands is its stage show, which includes synchronized video clips and computer sequences that complement the music. Liau is on keyboards and violin, Allen plays drums, and Seth is on guitar as well as vocals. "Sonically and visually, it's going to be quite an experience," Seth said.

The band members list a wide array of influences, like Pink Floyd, Kiss, Black Sabbath and Queen. Liau said Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) and Beethoven are some of her influences. While the group has no record deal yet, it is really concentrating now on playing the club scene.

Clockwork 13 will perform publicly for the first time at Zelda's (upstairs from Fitzgerald's) today from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets are $3 and $2.50 with a flyer mentioning the group. (Just scribble its name on a piece of paper.) Upcoming dates are July 21 at the Edge Bar from midnight to 1 a.m. and Aug. 6 at the Abyss from 11 p.m. to midnight. Even if you can't see the band tonight, there's plenty of time left for Clockwork 13.

FOETUS BRINGS PUNK SOUNDS OF <I>GASH<P> TO ABYSS

by James Geluso

Veteran rocker Jim Thirlwell, better known as Foetus, will be bringing his own particular brand of rock to the Abyss Thursday night in his first Houston appearance since 1992.

Thirlwell's best-known works are remixes, such as those appearing on Nine Inch Nails' <I>Fixed<P> and <I>Further Down the Spiral<P> collections.

As Foetus, he produces a wide variety of sounds, from African tribal drums to orchestral pieces to pure techno. His latest album and major-label debut, <I>Gash<P>, is a return to the disturbed post-punk mayhem rock that made Foetus into a major influence for such bands as Nine Inch Nails, Ministry and My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult.

Although his musical sound is diverse, his lyrics are consistent. Blasphemy, sex and violence are prevalent in all his songs, even his instrumental pieces.

Like Trent Reznor, Foetus is a one-man band in the studio, but a full five-piece band when on tour.

Thirlwell knows how to give a concert, as he demonstrated on his last tour with powerful renditions of songs ranging from his classic "Private War/Anything" to the Beatles' "I am the Walrus."

Ultra Bide and Halcion will also perform at the Abyss. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. and the show starts at 9:30 p.m.

ETHERIDGE, COLE PUT ON PASSIONATE PERFORMANCES

by Joey Guerra

Sunday was ladies' night in Houston as two talented female artists took the stage in what one of them called the "arena of champions."

That arena was the Summit, and the artist with the kind words was Melissa Etheridge, who put on a passionate show for her fans during an almost three-hour set. She promised this was the last stop on a tour that lasted two years in promotion of her latest album, <I>Yes I Am<P>. Etheridge belted out some of her best tracks, including the opener "If I Wanted To," one of the latest in a string of hits from the album.

The crowd was extremely receptive to the singer, who kept things rockin' with older hits like "Similar Features," and more recent fare such as "I Take You With Me," her original recording for the movie <I>Boys on the Side<P>. Etheridge also used this tour stop to "world premiere" two new songs, "Nowhere to Go" and "All the Way to Heaven," both off her next album due out in November.

Also quite wonderful were songs like "Come to My Window," her biggest hit, and "I'm the Only One," which closed the show. When Etheridge came out for her encore, she wowed the crowd with an explosive rendition of "All Night Long" from AC/DC. Also a nice surprise was Etheridge on a platform in the center of the floor seats, performing with just her voice and a guitar.

Without a doubt, Etheridge's final tour date was a smashing success. Her music is raw and real, perfect for a live venue. Music with this much passion deserves to be heard live, and Etheridge strips away all the frills for a good, old-fashioned rock 'n' roll show. It was evident she was having a good time, and that feeling seemed to spread to the audience.

Also making an impression was Paula Cole, who opened the show with a brief but intense set. Dressed in a clingy, metallic-silver dress, Cole was quite a presence. Her vocal range and style is amazing, breathing life into every song she sings. Her dedication of "Happy Home" to her mother was sweet, and the song was a beautiful tribute.

Equally moving was Cole's haunting rendition of "Jolene," a song made famous by one of her inspirations, Dolly Parton. Her reworking of the song was nothing short of brilliant, and she danced amazingly, moving her body to the beats in a direct, forceful manner. All in all, Cole offered a nice precursor to the great set put on by Etheridge.

WANTED: ONE NATIONAL PASTIME, HOLD THE FANS

pullquote: Doug Drabek, Astros ace and former UH pitcher, suggests looking no farther than the August stretch drive as the crucial juncture: "We've got to bring back the mad people by providing them a good product."

by Corin Hoggard

On Sept. 14, 1994, baseball, the national pastime, officially became the national <I>past<P> time. For the first time in the game's history, baseball deprived us of the pennant run, our first glimpse of the new playoff system, and the World Series.

Now, the warriors who survived until the temporary cease-fire was issued expect their loyal fans to forget that their faith has been raped and pillaged by said warriors.

Chalk it up to underestimation. The players, led by their fierce and fiery general, Donald Fehr, misjudged the resolve of the owners. Clearly, the owners had summoned up no more opposition in previous labor struggles than Vichy France to Germany, but this time no commissioner was occupying Geneva awaiting peace talks. Rather, Brewers owner and part-time Jerry Reinsdorf butt kisser, Bud Selig, stood as acting commish, and he and his fellow owners danced undauntedly through the missing post-season and an off-season of tumultuous and meaningless mediation.

Instead of locking the central figures in a room (with only beans to eat and Cokes to drink) until they reached an accord, both sides dillydallied their way into a second-rate replacement pre-season for 1995. When the tenuous truce was announced, quickly it became obvious that the comfortable relationship between the game and its fans was severed. Attendance leaguewide has dropped considerably. Only Boston has shown an increase in ticket sales, mostly because it has a better team. The apathy epidemic has reached all-time heights in Milwaukee, where Selig's Brewers have drawn only 13,000 fans per game, and in our very own Houston, where 24,000 didn't care to use complimentary tickets to a May 13 game. It has become quite apparent that amends must be made.

Astros owner Drayton McLane's May 13 gesture was a start, but most fans will remain distrustful until a labor agreement is reached. Tony Gwynn of the Padres philosophizes, "Fans want a guarantee. They don't want to give us back their hearts only to have us betray them again." Gwynn admits that desperation has set in and feels that both sides need to make major concessions to forge an agreement soon.

Doug Drabek, Astros ace and former UH pitcher, suggests looking no farther than the August stretch drive as the crucial juncture: "We've got to bring back the mad people by providing them a good product, playing well under a new agreement. The fans usually come around if we do well." He points out that expectations are high following the huge basketball success, but he remains confident that the fans will return.

Recent signs are good. Approaching the All-Star game in Arlington, the Rangers sold out the last two games of their weekend series with the Yankees. The sellout streak continues at Camden Yards in Baltimore, so all is not lost. If common sense intervenes, the two sides will find a working relationship soon, but other problems linger.

The players have made it obvious that the money means more than the game. Without much real-world experience, many find it difficult to grow up and handle the public maturely. Players are no longer seen as ordinary fatsos like Babe Ruth or the real people they are, but as sleek, superhuman images on the television screen.

Other sports have moved in on baseball's territory with fast-paced action and no significant work stoppages. Slow-moving baseball should speed up by increasing the size of the strike zone and should initiate excitement, much the same as basketball did, by making its superstars rich through endorsement contracts.

A little thoughtful effort will go a long way in bringing baseball back to the foreground in American sport. It can happen. As Astros first base coach Jesse Barfield agreed, "Napoleon made France take him back and he was crazy!"

Meanwhile, Bud Selig had better enjoy his time on Elba.